Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Inside Toni Collette’s Blazing, ‘Deeply Draining’ Performance In ‘Hereditary’

"My character may seem despicable, but she's living with such a huge mount of pain," Collette tells TheWrap

You’ve read the reviews, scrolled Twitter for spoilers, watched the box office net a personal best for distributor A24 — but two weeks after terrorizing North America, the takeaway of “Hereditary’ is still Toni Collette’s blazing lead performance.

As a repressed and often unlikable woman paralyzed by grief, Collette grounds writer-director Ari Aster’s debut genre film in the world of a masterful indie film before giving way to abject horror.

“I wanted to do comedies,” said Collette, a career-long veteran of microbudget drama and festival darlings, during a recent chat with TheWrap from New York.

“But when I read this, I had this feeling of, ‘Oh f—. I’m gonna have to do this.’ It was an undeniable compulsion. It was like I had no choice in the matter,” she said.

read more at the linked article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2018 4:48 PM

Who the fuck keeps pushing this fucking film?

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2018 4:09 AM

I love Toni Collette she's always amazing in every film

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2018 4:13 AM

R1

I’ve not seen it, and I’ve avoided spoilers, but Toni looks riveting in the trailers. I’ve seen it discussed in headlines on several entertainment websites, especially now that the “spoiler window” is closing. If you were blown away by Sixth Sense as a kid, and then watched it again, you have a deeper appreciation of how cleverly the movie was executed.

If- big IF- it keeps going as a movie then she will finally win a well deserved lead Academy Award.

And even though I HATE horror movies I will probably watch this.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2018 4:26 AM

R3 Schill

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2018 8:26 PM

Fuck you, R4, for not recognizing the fact that Toni Collette could turn a reading of “50 Shades” into Oscar material.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2018 4:35 AM

Toni for Oscar

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2018 5:42 PM

Who cares that this film is being "pushed"? Just don't click on the fucking link for crying out loud!

and she *DOES* give a masterful performance in this. I would say it's the main thing to recommend about this film. Actually everyone in it is great.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2018 5:45 PM

Biggest missed opportunity in film history: Toni as Roxie in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2018 5:59 PM

R8 Blame Harvey and his whore Renee

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2018 6:08 PM

[quote]‘Deeply Draining’

Does this movie involve a cyst?

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2018 6:11 PM

It's a great film. It will not make you feel good or comfortable- it is a metaphor for life. Often we cannot do a thing about the hand we are dealt, particularly with family and we have to live and die with it. If you see the film as metaphor, especially in the end- it's brilliant. And Annie's attempt to both survive and save her son given what has already happened to her, of no fault of her own, is harrowing. It's not really a horror movie. It is a look into how dark life can be. I think that's why some people have a visceral dislike of the film. I happen to think that any film that elicits that kind of reaction- it good- it's art. I was kind of shattered by it as I left the theatre. Then I settled into real admiration for the director, writer and of course Toni.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2018 6:33 PM

Agree wit R11.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2018 6:36 PM

MAJOR SPOILER. MAJOR SPOLIER. MAJOR SPOILER!

I can not get the noise and the visual out of my head of Toni’s character, hanging from the rafters of the the attic, sawing her own head off.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2018 6:47 PM

Not just her, but Alex Wolff, too.

Just heartrending and complex, rapid-fire performances. They should both be remembered at awards time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2018 7:00 PM

People have "a visceral dislike of the film," r11, because they went into the theater expecting a scary demon story like THE CONJURING or THE EXORCIST, but they got a clinical depiction of mental illness instead. And they're too stupid to get that.

You can interpret this as all a result of demonic powers and a witchcraft cult if you want.

But the critics love HEREDITARY because we know all the supernatural power and magic in the film are just the hallucinations of characters with schizophrenia, which is a "HEREDITARY" disease shared by families, which dooms many people in everyday life.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2018 7:08 PM

"Not just her, but Alex Wolff, too."

Oh god, when he was hiding in the attic as she pounded on the door - and he says something to the effect of "please mommy, stop" I just lost it. All teenage affectation gone - he sounded simply like a terror-filled, traumatized little boy. God this movie was so upsetting.

"Biggest missed opportunity in film history: Toni as Roxie in Chicago."

holy sit. I totally forgot about that. she would've been brilliant as Roxie.

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2018 7:11 PM

R11 is really over-egging the pudding and needs to get out more and see some decent films. Good on Toni Collette for recognising a performance opportunity in this mess of a script but the paper thin script can't support what she's capable of bringing to it. Aside from two scenes, her performance ends up being more a series of images - the writing is so under-powered she actually has very few scenes to play. And she tries like hell to drive it towards some kind of dramatic conclusion but the writer/director has other, incredibly banal, ideas. I can't believe Collette put as much into as she did; she was clearly prepared to give it her all, desperately trying to ekk out some credible drama wherever possible, but the director is so oblivious he doesn't even give her a close up when she's trying to concoct an emotional farewell before what she believes will be her death. We don't even get to see final transformation. Sissy Spacek in Carrie it is not.

To say this movie is anything like life, metaphorical or otherwise, is just a colossal joke. Stop posing so hard or you'll hurt yourself, ffs.

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2018 7:17 PM

She might get an Academy Award nomination but don't count on it. Horror movies almost never get nominated for Oscars. Actors rarely get nominated for Oscars for their performances in horror movies. Jeff Goldblum definitely deserved an Oscar nom for "The Fly" but didn't get one. But he was brilliant in it.

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2018 7:24 PM

Maybe they nominate Emily Blunt for A Quiet Place instead of Toni! because she's popular and she has 2 big films this year (A Quiet Place and Mary Poppins)

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2018 8:57 PM

I hate horror films but I watched Hereditary and Krampus for Toni I'm a big fan of her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2018 4:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!