Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's be 1978 (PART TWO) - I know it's crazy, but it's true!

I'm NYC after the famous blizzard of February '78.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2018 7:22 PM

I graduated high school (at 16) back in 1978. The Ohio River froze over. and daredevils walked across, or even drove across the river. Cars that were parked outside wouldn't start. You had to drive people someone where they needed to go, then get your car back into your garage before it got too cold to start again. The mimosas and ivy and magnolias all over town were killed or stunted. There's a Southern Magnolia about a mile from my house that survived the -25 F cold, and that is now being (slowly) cloned as the hardiest Southern Magnolia known.

At 16, I thought I was a lot tougher and smarter than I really was. I had to enter the adult world, where I didn't mean anything. I know that 18 means 'adult' in the US, but I've learned to stretch that age a bit forward before I talk to someone as an adult. I've never been one of those very annoying pedo-accusers here on DL, but I try to be really careful about engaging with really young adult,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2018 1:18 AM

The famous blizzard of '78 is the reason why I came into existence. I was born nine months later. BOOM!!! :-)

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2018 1:54 AM

Most ornamental magnolias in the midwest are Chinese or Japanese varietals and much more cold tolerant than southern magnolias.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2018 3:59 AM

I'm Dolly Parton, and I'm not leaving country, I"m taking it with me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2018 6:46 PM

I'm Affirmed and won the Triple Crown. My jockey was that 18 year old kid, Steve Cauthen.

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2018 7:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!