Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This week seems like the biggest presidential PR disaster since "Mission Accomplished"

It took him days, but Trump finally backpedaled on this--I have never seen him do it so publicly before.

I wonder how long it will be before Corey Lewandoski has to backpedal too--otherwise he is absolutely toast, for the rest of his political career. He may even be already for "womp womp" and for his doubling down on that. That seems pretty unforgivable.

Stephen Mitchell will never backpedal, but I wonder if this means he will be out soon.

I think this will be a big lesson learned for the Trumpistas and the GOP alike about their limits with the American public. They will not be allowed to forget this any time soon. At last they discovered their limits with most Americans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2018 3:50 AM

I'm not that optimistic at all.

Tony Schwartz, Trump's biographer, said something scary as hell on Ari Melber's show tonight.

Basically, meeting Kim Jong Un cemented in Trump's mind that he wants to be the American Kim Jong Un. He keeps pushing and pushing and pushing the limits. Stealing babies from their parents and putting them in cages is no big deal for someone without a conscience.

What's next? He'll get there, and it will be unimaginable.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2018 12:12 AM

I'm going to get a Mary! I know, but... Hitler got a great deal of public backlash for informing the public about euthanizing the mentally and physically handicapped. They just decided to be more organized about being secretive after that.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2018 12:16 AM

... You're not getting a Mary! from me, r2. Not at all.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2018 12:37 AM

I think the best we can hope is that Miller disappears for awhile. hopefully he is booted out of the WH.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2018 12:42 AM

Misleading headline. "Mission Accomplished" looks like shoplifting next to this atrocity and all the others Trump has and will continue to get away with.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2018 12:44 AM

I smell fear. I like that NPR called him a liar. Well deserved feeding frenzy, and his biggest supporters left with unused lube in their butts

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2018 12:50 AM

I’m not optimistic. I live the in NYC in a fairly liberal area, and tonight I overheard a couple of women, and a man with their kids chatting about this on the street while I was waiting to meet a friend for dinner. The gist of their conversation was how horrible it was, but now Trump will/can spin his EO as being a hero. One of women said something like how people struggling are going to see this and think “why don’t they (I took they to mean Dems) get this fired up about helping my kids?” They all agreed we’re lucky in NYC not to have many Trumpsters, and then joked about how deBlasio is turning so many off, that may change. Then my friend and we went off to eat.

I think this little coffee klatch more or less hit the nail on the head. Time will tell — its a long time till Nov.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2018 12:52 AM

Why would Lewandowski apologize? He works for a man who mocked a reporter with a disability on live TV, and then was elected president.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2018 12:56 AM

R7 - Honestly, I think that was his plan all along.... (or Stephen Miller's).

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2018 1:04 AM

Because people are putting pressure on his sponsor, T-Mobile, to abandon him because of this.

That's why.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2018 1:04 AM

The tape of babies and small children crying for their parents is devastating. It's a gut punch and it hurt Trump with women voters in particular.

If you look at the special elections and primaries, there's a quiet lashback from female voters with women candidates winning right and left--a woman who wasn't even viewed as a contender won the Montana Democratic primary and is 6 points ahead of Gianforte (reporter-slugging Republican) in the last poll. And the woman entered the primaries late and was outspent 2:1.

Trump needs the vote of conservative white women. Those women are not fans of caging babies. I've seen a number of men defend Trump, but very few women.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2018 1:16 AM

R9 you may very well be right - I mean, I can totally see him saying something like “this law was written by a dem congress, signed by a dem pres and when I asked them (Dems) to change it, of course they did nothing but blamed me for upholding their law! so I did what had to be done”

Trump, savior of the chikdren.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2018 1:17 AM

[quote] I mean, I can totally see him saying something like “this law was written by a dem congress, signed by a dem pres and when I asked them (Dems) to change it, of course they did nothing but blamed me for upholding their law! so I did what had to be done”

He certainly can. But it didn't work this week when he tried that kind of trick--it crtainly won't work in the future either. This week was a disaster for him, and he could not spin his way out of it.

Some of you (just like Trump himself and his followers) seem to have huge trouble distinguishing between what he might say to defend himself, and what will actually work with voters.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2018 1:20 AM

As if anyone can believe Trump cares about anyone but himself. Rethugs are dumb suckers or downright evil. Hope his downfall is humiliating and full of despair for him and his cabal of pro-Russian oligarch wannabes that are trying to destroy this country.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2018 1:35 AM

What’s amazing, r7, is that they don’t see that the dems are for helping their kids, at least way more than the repubs.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2018 2:00 AM

R9 here. The reason I think it might have been the plan all along goes back to the birther issue. If Trump were to win, (which he shockingly(?) did), he'd have to put the Birther issue to rest at some point, in order to move on. So what did he do? He claimed it was never his theory to begin with, and fabricated a way to blame it all on Hillary. Remember that joke of a press conference? (paraphrasing...) "I'm putting an end to what Hillary started!".

Same strategy. He just switched out "Hillary" for "The Dems". (again, this is just my hunch).

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2018 2:57 AM

The Tony Schwartz interview was absolutely terrifying. I don’t expect this to end anytime soon. At the very least, our inept and evil govt now has over 2000 parent-less kids on its hands and I’m pretty sure they aren’t giving those kids back. Probably because they don’t even know where to send the kids. Kids are going to start dying. And we will never get a straight story from our lying administration.

Inept, stupid, evil = the horrid combo that is DT is now our govt.

But her emails.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2018 3:03 AM

R7, my reaction to your account was a bit different than yours: these people sounded like typical self-absorbed New Yorkers who want every resource in the City devoted to getting “my kids” into an Ivy League college. They see deBlasio as a threat to that. Trump is irrelevant to them.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2018 3:27 AM

Which interview r17? Do you have a link?

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2018 3:28 AM

The Tony Schwartz interview from tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2018 3:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!