Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mystery of Joseph Newton Chandler III's true identity to be revealed

Tomorrow. May be Zodiac Killer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2018 1:32 PM

[quote] Who is Joseph Newton Chandler III and why did he steal the identity of a 9-year-old boy?

He was The Jackal?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2018 10:21 PM

Story was a fizzle.

DNA testing, genealogy and sleuthing helped determine that Joseph Newton Chandler III was actually 76-year-old Robert Ivan Nichols.

Elliott says it's not known why Nichols broke contact with his family in 1965 and appeared 13 years later in Cleveland as Joseph Chandler, working as a draftsman and electrical engineer. Chandler was an 8-year-old boy who died in a 1945 car accident.

The late Ivan Nichols was a Navy veteran during World War II, in which he earned a Purple Heart.

Family members said he burned his uniform after he returned home from the war.

He adds that a records search found no crimes committed by Nichols under either name, and that $82,000 was left to his name at the time of his death - with no listed next of kin.

Co-workers have described him as intelligent and eccentric.

Ivan Nichols' son, Phillip Nichols, who hadn't heard from his dad since 1965, also spoke at the press conference.

'This put to a rest a mystery in our family what happened to him... we're grateful the discoveries have been made,' the son said.

'I'm at peace, and hold no animosity, no anger. I wish it had turned out differently.'

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2018 2:58 AM

So some guy ran away and started a new life with a new identity. I have to agree — that makes him the zodiac killer.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2018 3:02 AM

Whether he was the Zodiac or not is one thing, but this is the only non-depressing thread on DL tonight.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2018 4:27 AM

[quote] this is the only non-depressing thread on DL tonight.

As long as you dad didn't abandon you in 1965.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2018 4:36 AM

There have been similar cases. I recall one case where a woman left her husband and daughter, assumed a new identity, remarried and had kids with that husband. There was also the Lori Ruff case.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2018 1:25 PM

[quote]Chandler once drove from Ohio to Maine to visit an L.L. Bean store, then immediately turned around and returned when he couldn’t find a parking space in the lot.

Makes me kinda like the guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2018 1:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!