Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

She Does Two Things

What is your favorite unreleased Stevie Nicks song?

Mine is "Julia", written on 12/31/1980 and 01/01/1981. It was recorded for both 'Bella Donna' and 'The Wild Heart' but producer Jimmy Iovine disliked the song, so it was dropped from both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2018 2:29 AM

The AMAZING 1982 version of "Julia" from THE WILD HEART!!!!!

Recorded in Dallas and produced by Gordon Perry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2018 8:44 PM

The great Warren Zevon song "Reconsider Me."

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2018 8:46 PM

"Mirror, Mirror" was recorded in 1984 for 'Rock A Little' but Stevie re-recorded it in 1992 for 'Street Angel.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2018 8:48 PM

The final version of "Julia" recorded for 'Bella Donna'.

"Julia" was on one of the final acetates for 'Bella Donna' in June 1981 but Iovine literally took it off the album at the last minute in July 1981 and replaced it with "How Still My Love."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2018 8:51 PM

There are 2. "Storms" and the "The Dance" version of "Silver Springs."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2018 8:55 PM

Sorry. Didn't see "unreleased."

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2018 8:56 PM

It's okay! A Stevie thread for everything is fine!

This version of "Rhiannon" from August 11, 1980, is one her most incredible performances!

"IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?!?!?!!!!!!!!!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2018 9:01 PM

The Nightmare from the Rock a Little album.

The instrumental break in the middle is about as unique as rock music gets.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2018 9:07 PM

R8 Here. Sorry guys I didn't see 'unreleased'.

I'm getting sloppy in my old age.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2018 9:13 PM

Alternate Version of "The Nightmare" from ROCK A LITTLE!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2018 9:15 PM

R10 Thanks. I heard it years ago.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2018 9:17 PM

How Stevie sings over her own vocals on a 1981 take of "If You Were My Love" on Mirage is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2018 9:25 PM

She once recorded a tailor-made version of a very famous Coca-Cola jingle:

"Things Go Better With Coke Blown Up My Ass."

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2018 9:27 PM

"Ooh Ooh Baby" from 1985 is heartbreaking.

"You're really one of a kind!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2018 9:40 PM

Her demo for The Chain. FM ultimately used her lyrics to complete the track for Rumours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2018 9:41 PM

Bot just her lyrics. The whole chorus is in Stevie's own demo, so, mostly the song is hers except for instrumentals like the bass solo.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2018 9:43 PM

NOT just her lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2018 9:43 PM

"Joan Of Arc" was recorded in 1986 for 'Tango In The Night'.

Last year, Stevie said she wants to record it again and release it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2018 9:45 PM

This unreleased version of "Dial The Number" was on the final track list for 'The Other Side Of The Mirror' in early 1989. I bought it on eBay in 2011 and shared it with the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2018 9:55 PM

Lindsey B used to hit her. I used to want to hit her every time she put on a shawl and started twirling around like a mad woman.

She has Welsh ancestry. My 4th boyfriend was a Welshman called Anthony. A stunning little man he was. Imagine a stocky Englishman with a provincial country bumpkin accent and muscles everywhere. And nice teeth.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2018 9:55 PM

I must be one of the very few who finds "Bella Donna" the least interesting (and melodic) of her solo albums. I was much happier with "The Wild Heart".

And loved "Rock A Little" too. Got in a mild fight recently with an old hippie asshole running a record store when I went in looking for a new copy of it (hoping a deluxe had been made like for the first two) and said, "Stevie Nicks made an album called 'Rock a Little" and--" And the grump said, "No, she didn't." You don't say shit like that to a fan. "Like hell she didn't, it has a white cover with her all in black mid-twirl..." I could sing every song on it by heart if that had been required.

I left without buying anything ultimately and him bitching that I'd be sorry when he went out of business. No, I won't. Anyone who doesn't know "Rock a Little" deserves poverty.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2018 9:55 PM

Julia and Sanctuary, both from the Bella Donna sessions. I was surprised that neither was recorded for her 24 Karat Gold - Songs from the Vault album.

The most surprising song on that album was Mabel Normand. There’s a demo from the mid-1980s that’s been bootlegged for years. It’s Stevie at her coked-out, incoherent worst. I was surprised not only that she thought it worth recording, but surprised at how awesome it turned out.

I’d spent decades making fun of the demo, and little did I know it would turn out to be one of my favorite of her songs.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2018 10:05 PM

ROCK A LITTLE is one of my favorites as well. "The Nightmare, "I Can't Wait", "No Spoken Word" are all in my favorites.

Stevie's gravelly voice on "Talk To Me" is incredible!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2018 10:06 PM

The version of "Julia" on THE WILD HEART is better for me.

I love how Stevie sings,

"People ask me

They ask me

They say

'So, Julie, just what is it that you do now?'

SHE DOES TWO THINGS!!!"

In 1996, Gordon Perry told me how he produced that version for THE WILD HEART but with Iovine as Executive Producer, her had the final say and cut the song from the album. "Julia" is about the movie JULIA and Stevie's friendship with Robin, so Stevie was very upset both times that Iovine axed the song from her albums.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2018 10:09 PM

Ew, I want to post some of Stevie's unreleased songs, but these unhinged women have made videos with Lindsey Buckingham in them, which the songs aren't about.

"I Call You Missing" is NOT about LB. It's about Joe Walsh.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2018 10:14 PM

"She Loves Him Still" was scheduled to be the closing song on ROCK A LITTLE in 1984 but did not get officially released until 2014 on Stevie's 24 KARAT GOLD album.

It was written about Joe Walsh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2018 10:16 PM

She ALSO recorded - but never released - her version of "The Wiffenpoof Song," just so she could sing, "Baa! Baa! BAA!"

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2018 10:26 PM

Okay, I went ahead and made a video for the STREET ANGEL version of "If You Were My Love" focusing on Stevie photos from 1992-1994.

FANTASTIC version!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2018 12:03 AM

Unreleased Live Video of "The Chain" from 1979 ONLY available on my video channel!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2018 12:15 AM

Gold and Braid. Erroneously left off Bella Donna.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2018 2:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!