Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

House GOP plan would cut Medicare, Social Security to balance budget

The House Republican budget, titled “A Brighter American Future,” would remake Medicare by giving seniors the option of enrolling in private plans that compete with traditional Medicare, a system of competition designed to keep costs down but dismissed by critics as an effort to privatize the program. Along with other changes, the budget proposes to squeeze $537 billion out of Medicare over the next decade.

The budget would transform Medicaid, the federal-state health-care program for the poor, by limiting per capita payments or allowing states to turn it into a block-grant program — the same approach House Republicans took in their legislation that passed last year to repeal the Affordable Care Act (the repeal effort died in the Senate, but the GOP budget assumes that the repeal takes place). It also proposes adding work requirements for certain adults enrolled in Medicaid. Changes to Medicaid and other health programs would account for $1.5 trillion in savings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2018 2:53 AM

...just as predicted.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2018 6:41 PM

Remember when the GOP had a conniption because Obamacare cut $500 billion from Medicare and extended its life for a decade longer?

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2018 6:41 PM

Check out life expectancy in red states.Not good.Repubs do not give a rats ass who dies.They just don't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2018 6:48 PM

Of course they don't care. Keep Americans scrambling to stay alive and they'll be too distracted to stop the corruption and grift in the government.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2018 6:51 PM

Don't forget, Medicare, SSI are not entitlements! They are funded with taxes paid by everyone working on the books. If they're going to cut these benefits, I want a refund on the taxes I've paid.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2018 6:53 PM

They are such irredeemable scum.

There is a special place in hell for wealthy people that try to take from the poor

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2018 7:09 PM

If they do, they’ll be voted out at the following election. You don’t mess with old people’s Medicare and social security.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2018 7:26 PM

Haha...all of my deplorable father and his friends continually run to the doctor for this little thing or that, barely paying anything as they go. Me, as a teacher, I have crap health care and suffer through all the pains and ills.

This should change their mind on King Cheeto

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2018 7:34 PM

Of course it's all a ruse. I'm in the health care world. Private insurance cannot come close to competing with Medicare. Medicare overhead cost is about 5% and private insurance overhead about 25%. So don't "buy" the competition lie. Essentially that is why the private insurance lobby killed Obama's single payer option years ago- they could not compete. Of course the GOP spun it the other way to say the private (for profit) health care insurance industry as is- and the ACA became a regulated private health insurance system- now being dismantled bit by bit by the GOP. Isn't the GOP great for America!

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2018 7:47 PM

R5, you mean Medicare and SSD.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2018 9:15 PM

R9 is correct. Just keep that fact in the back of your mind next time you run into a Trumpieter that tries to claim a business can do it better than the government. The facts simply aren't true. Government takes 5% Private takes 25%. In what world does that make financial sense? Dont let them get away with that lie.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2018 9:24 PM

Of course private insurance takes 25%. How else can they afford to pay their execs 7 figure salaries, performance bonuses, stock options, first class travel expenses/private jets, reimbursement for doctor/pharmacy/dental copays and health/dental/pharmacy insurance deductions from their pay (since, by law, all health plans supplied by a company must be offered to everyone, there can't be a Cadillac plan for execs and a Dodge plan for everybody else), a regular defined, guaranteed pension, a company paid "summer house" (that no one else in the company gets to use), private school education for the execs kids and numerous other perks.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2018 9:35 PM

My mother had a group Medicare Advantage plan through Blue Cross. It was better than my insurance through my employer. The out of pocket max was a $1000 and then everything else for the year, including prescriptions, was free. I wish I could have that when I retire instead of traditional medicare.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2018 9:35 PM

[quote]The House Republican budget, titled “A Brighter American Future,” would remake Medicare by giving seniors the option of enrolling in private plans that compete with traditional Medicare

NO ONE who can already afford NOT to be reliant on Medicare in their old age is currently using Medicare. The Greedy Old Pricks have made sure of that by spending the past 40 years by slashing it to the bone at the state level, little by little.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2018 9:45 PM

The largest transfer of wealth from the poor and middle class to the wealthy that we've ever seen. Their own policies caused those trillion-dollar deficits because they wanted to reward their 1% donors. And now they want to pay for that by robbing the rest of the 99%.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2018 9:55 PM

The Democrats better be getting the ads ready. I don’t care if they actually hold votes or not, the fact that it’s being proposed by them is damning enough.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2018 9:57 PM

So many old, white people are going to die. And it looks like there aren’t the numbers of young white people to replace them. Oh my. They’ve earned this.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2018 10:03 PM

How come this isn't getting much attention? I can't find much in the way of details and people don't seem that outraged.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2018 4:48 PM

Republicans will never get cuts to SS and Medicare passed. Old, white people ( their base who vote) need the money to survive. Won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2018 5:50 PM

R5, your refund has been paid to the wealthy with the tax cut. Sorry kid, you're out of luck.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2018 6:23 PM

The Dems should seize the opportunity and tell all of the voters that the Republicans plan to cut SS and medicare in order to fund their tax cuts for the wealthy. Of course, being the laziest people in the world, they won't.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2018 1:01 AM

For all you Trump assholes who believed that the $1.5 trillion dollar tax cut that overwhelmingly benefits the richest and the corporations was a good idea, this is where the tax cuts are coming from, Medicare and other vital social programs.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2018 1:18 AM

the "balance the budget" thing is sleight-of-hand. head of the treasury in 1947 said we can make as much money as we want, and it comes from nowhere but the pen(will) of the government. if you believe taxes (and loans-also unnecessary and just a political tool) actually fund spending, just think of the military expenditures. those f35 contractors are not waiting for tax checks from Joe Blow to clear the bank. the whole thing is a massive hoodwink. read up on "sovereign money". or take a logics course.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2018 1:32 AM

also check "mmt". since the above search yields a lot about the recent Swiss vote and not the general theory.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2018 1:38 AM

[quote]If they do, they’ll be voted out at the following election. You don’t mess with old people’s Medicare and social security.

They'll time the cuts so that it doesn't effect anyone over fifty and is slowly taken away, in stages, from people under fifty until it's all gone when today's youth get old. It's the old 'boiling a frog' routine'.

R13, what would stop you from getting a Medicare Advantage plan or something similar? You do realize that those plans are supplements to Medicare, not replacements, right? Your mother still had Medicare and paid for it every month just like she paid for her Advantage plan. Why do you think you can't do the same?

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2018 1:48 AM

Bump for Repugs ruining the entire fucking country.

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2018 6:41 PM

This would really be the last straw.

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2018 2:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!