Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Donald Trump’s separation of immigrant families was not Barack Obama’s policy

Critics of the Trump administration’s separating of families illegally crossing the U.S. border with Mexico have characterized the practice as a distinctly cruel feature of Donald Trump’s presidency.

But some Republican commentators argue the policy is essentially a continuation of previous administrations.

"You know what's ironic? It's the same way Barack Obama did it," conservative commentator Matt Schlapp said during the June 15 broadcast of Fox News' America's Newsroom. "This is the problem with all of these things, the outrage you see coming from the left. There wasn't outrage over Barack Obama separating kids from adults."

While the Obama administration's immigration approach was not without controversy, it’s simply untrue to say he had a policy of separating families.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2018 7:01 AM

Oh ffs, no one is claiming this is a carry over from Obama's administration. That is patently ridiculous. I have watched some Ingraham since the Texas mess began and no one on that show has ever made such a ludicrous statement.

I have never heard of Matt Schlapp.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2018 1:25 PM

No, there are people making that idiotic claim r1. Hell there were trolls trying to make that same claim in the Rachel Maddow thread here yesterday.

It is right-wing talking point. Complete bullshit of course, but that never matters to them.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2018 1:27 PM

[quote]Oh ffs, no one is claiming this is a carry over from Obama's administration.

That claim is all over DL threads.

It is repeated hourly on FOX news and FOX radio shows.

Matt Schlapp is a prominent Republican voice, the chairman of the American Conservative Union and a frequent guest on network and cable news shows.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2018 1:29 PM

But r1 has never heard of him, r3, so it doesn’t count!

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2018 1:35 PM

"President Obama has often been referred to by immigration groups as the "Deporter in Chief." Between 2009 and 2015 his administration removed more than 2.5 million people "

"The Obama administration has deported more people than any other president's administration in history. "

ABC news August 29, 2016. (I don't know how to link on phones ).

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2018 1:39 PM

R5 you would think republicunts would like that about Obama....right? Deported most with extensive criminal records while granting daca to decent human beings.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2018 1:41 PM

What's your point, R5? Deporting people with criminal records has nothing to do with ripping babies from mothers' arms.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2018 1:43 PM

CNN covered this same "crisis" four years ago under Obama. Was it Fake News back then?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2018 1:51 PM

[quote](I don't know how to link on phones )

You apparently also don't know how to read. What does that have to do with ripping babies away to be put in "tender centers"?

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2018 1:52 PM

The trolls keep trying and keep spinning!

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2018 1:52 PM

[quote]The trolls keep trying and keep spinning!

Rick Wilson: (They've) been reassigned from Mueller Attack duty to Immigrant Children Are a Greater Threat Than Al Qaeda duty.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2018 1:54 PM

There are tons and tons of people making this claim, R1, especially on Twitter and in newspaper comments.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2018 1:55 PM

Trying again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2018 1:55 PM

There is the video at R13 that shows how long this has been going on - well before Trump. If you trust CNN, that is.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2018 1:58 PM

[quote]Oh ffs, no one is claiming this is a carry over from Obama's administration. That is patently ridiculous.

You couldn't be more wrong. Rightwingers are SWARMING ALL OVER social media posts about this topic saying exactly that. And OP they don't care that you have factually refuted their claim. They will keep making it ANYWAY.

For myself, I can't help but wonder how I'd feel about myself if I had to lie all the time about my politics in order to persuade anyone of them. But I'm not a rightwing troll. They seem to enjoy it because it's pretty much all they do.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2018 1:59 PM

Once again, R13, what point are you trying to make? Do you not see that there is a difference between handling a flow of unaccompanied minors and ripping children away from their parents when they arrive in America?

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2018 1:59 PM

[quote]how long this has been going on

How long WHAT has been going on? Be specific.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2018 1:59 PM

“R13, shame on you for not foaming at the mouth when CNN tells you to! Who cares about 2014, Trump is WORSE THAN HITLER LITERALLY!!!”

Sound familiar? Trump Derangement Syndrome is real but it is treatable. Ask your doctor today if Reality is right for you. Side effects may include happiness, the urge to stop and smell the roses, the inability to communicate with knuckle-dragging colleagues who haven’t heard about Reality yet.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2018 2:02 PM

[quote]you would think republicunts would like that about Obama....right?

The reason we didn't hear much about Obama's deportation policies is partly because Republicans WOULD have liked it, and Turtles McConnell et al. were gonna be damned if they helped publicize something that made Obama appeal to their base. Another reason is that Obama's admin knew Democratic voters wouldn't approve of a lot of what his immigration policy did, so they kept quite a bit quiet.

Still, you see a lot of articles being linked by alt-righties and BernieBros who are saying "Obama was just as bad!" but which, if you actually READ the article, show that it may not have been ideal but wasn't horrifying.

For example, this one from 2014 shows problems but that the Obama admin was working on trying to fix it.

What we have now is Trump throwing out the improvements Obama admin made and making things worse by separating families and keeping people in cages, along with other human rights and safety issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2018 2:02 PM

This is one that keeps popping up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2018 2:06 PM

More of the false narrative from vile Corey Lewandoski:

Lots of Fake News today. I mocked a liberal who attempted to politicize children as opposed to discussing the real issue which is fixing a broken immigration system. It’s offenseive that the MSM doesn’t want to talk about the fact these policies were started under Obama.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2018 2:09 PM

I'm a little surprised that the Republicans are doubling down with the "it's just a broken system, folks" thing. I would have expected the harder Trumpster Repugs to do this, but the moderates (relatively speaking) like McCain are tweeting a few things here and there but not backing S3036 or anything like that.

And Miss Lindsey was on TV cussing about this a few days ago, if I recall.

What kind of blackmail material do they HAVE on them, anyway? Fucking puppies and raping kittens?

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2018 2:12 PM

R1/R5/R8/R13/R14/R18: Shut up you little bitch trolls!

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2018 2:20 PM

It's a good sign how desperate they are. They know this has been terrible for them, out in full force to try to spin.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2018 2:23 PM

Why is there nothing we can do about Tramp's vicious lies? There should be a law or something that would cause him to stop lying.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2018 2:27 PM

The CNN link was about unaccompanied children crossing the border.

How do you separate and child from his/her parents if the parents aren't at the border or in the US?

Am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2018 2:36 PM

R26: It has nothing to do with the present day. It's more false equivalence from the Nazis so they can say liberals are hypocrites because we didn't criticize Obama when he didn't do anything like this. These people are pathological liars who will use any and all tactics to support their Great Helmsman and justify their horrific bigotry. Join me in tell these people "SHUT UP YOU LITTLE BITCH TROLLS!!" Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2018 2:40 PM

you know they had to blame it on someone.

This is the best sentence I have come across and sums everything up perfectly

"𝑰𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒗𝒆 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒘𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒅 𝒅𝒐 𝒅𝒖𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒔𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒄𝒂𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒐𝒓 𝒄𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒍 𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒔 𝒎𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕; 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒓𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒕 𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒏𝒐𝒘."

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2018 2:55 PM

Distraction. Projection. Ignore.

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2018 3:18 PM

R15 There are RWNJ all over YouTube swearing that the government is making men sterile through chemtrail chemical release.

I don't pay attention to them either.

I am a Trump supporter(sort of) and the idea of this being an Obama created policy is beyond ridiculous. But there will always be the extremely slow witted to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2018 7:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!