Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Problem With The Harper Valley PTA

OK so the whore, slutty mother, goes to the meeting and points out the other people in the room have issues too.

What the song fails to note is that the PTA's criticism of her were accurate and just because they too have foibles, doesn't take away her shortcoming.

Thus Mrs Johnson or more accurately Mrs Whoreson was not a fit mother and the other town folk not being fit, doesn't change her into a fit mother.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2018 11:50 AM

OP= Phyllis Schlafly

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2018 10:00 AM

I do rather see your point. All they said in the letter was, "We don't believe you ought'a be a bringin' up your little girl this way."

It's not like they separated mother and child, and threw the minor into a cage at a deportation camp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2018 10:11 AM

They got a little more specific than that R2 - she'd been wearing her dresses way too high and, in addition, she'd been reported to be drinkin' and a runnin' round with men and goin' wild. Luckily though she had the dirt on them all and used it to sock it to 'em. Tom T Hall was a great songwriter and could run the gamut from something fun like Harper Valley to the heartbreaking It Sure Can Get Cold in Des Moines.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2018 10:35 AM

I always assumed that Stella Johnson was the one who threw something off the Tallaahatchie Bridge with Billie Joe

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2018 11:28 AM

I still wonder what the significance is of Mrs. Taylor sure seeming to use a lot of ice when her husband is gone, though. Drunk? Abused wife? Cheating with the iceman?

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2018 11:47 AM

The latter, I imagine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2018 11:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!