Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The takedown of Chris Hardwick shows #MeToo has gone too far

By Andrea Peyser

Call it The Revenge of #MeToo. It frightens me.

People who tuned in Sunday night to AMC were greeted by a terse, one-sentence message on their screens:

“ ‘Talking with Chris Hardwick’ will not be seen tonight.”

The erasure of Hardwick from the airwaves and the public square was swift, brutal and nearly complete.

This was a hard-core reaction to an online essay published on Thursday by Hardwick’s ex-girlfriend, Chloe Dykstra. Without mentioning Hardwick by name, she detailed, in often cringe-worthy fashion, emotional and sexual abuse she claims to have suffered during a nearly three-year intimate relationship with the host of TV programs including “Talking Dead,’’ the aftershow that dissects AMC powerhouses “The Walking Dead’’ and “Fear the Walking Dead.”

From the way Dykstra, 29, describes it, she was a ghost, the victim of sexual assault, mental torture and controlling behavior, forbidden from as much as talking to other men.

The torment allegedly began just two weeks into the relationship, which ran from 2011-2014.

Evidently, in this brief time, she was completely hooked by the charismatic performer. It ended after she left Hardwick, 46, for another man — and claims that he and a former female friend of hers set out to blackball her in the entertainment industry.

She then weirdly quotes Michelle Obama and writes that she thinks the former first lady would support her — though it’s doubtful Obama would get involved in this case of he-said, she-said.

Hardwick, for his part, denies completely engaging in abuse and attributes the wounded feelings to a long relationship gone awry. He put out a statement claiming that he was done with Dykstra after she was unfaithful. She admits to as much.

Who can know what goes on behind closed doors between adults?

Hardwick found some encouragement in the Twitterverse, where fed-up fans of his gathered to express their discomfort with the lack of due process in destroying a man’s reputation and perhaps career. One tweeter asked why the accuser did not go to authorities.

He also was backed by his mother-in-law, Patty Hearst (yes, her), whose tweets included a reference to a “bunny boiler,” which was later deleted.

It’s scary that a man can be convicted and punished without a trial or as much as a thorough hearing.

#MeToo developed as a movement in which people might find empowerment by standing up to abusers. Now it’s being used as a cudgel for aggrieved parties to exact revenge.

It disturbs me, and I worry that as more people, most of them women, abuse this power, and if more outlets fire employees without vetting the accusations, the public will start disbelieving all accounts of abuse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181June 23, 2018 6:57 AM

The same can be said of Woody Allen, who absolutely did not molest his daughter - I don't believe a single word of it. The "evidence" is sketchy at best, and yet all those actors came forward and said they would never work with Woody again.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2018 5:30 AM

in her essay he didn't really sound that abusive, just kind of mean and controlling sometimes

It wasn't exactly on Weinstein level.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2018 5:31 AM

Woody Allen is a creep even if he didn't molest his daughter, R1. There are enough other reasons to not want to work with him.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2018 5:36 AM

I'll be happy to give you a job, Chris!

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2018 5:36 AM

The only way to teach these people that you can't convict someone without proper evidence, is to SUE THEM.

Sue Dykstra and AMC for defamation and loss of wages.

Make them pay through their pocketbooks, and maybe they won't be so reckless with their actions.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2018 5:38 AM

"The only way to teach these people that you can't convict someone without proper evidence, is to SUE THEM."

He hasn't been convicted of anything. Do you understand how basic law works? You might want to get acquainted with some simple facts unless you want to sound stupid.

But if you want to sound stupid, well, then, congratulations! You have the intelligence level of a Reddit pundit.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2018 5:44 AM

I go wild thinking about Chris' hard wick.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2018 5:50 AM

[quote] He hasn't been convicted of anything

YOU'RE the fucking idiot.

He was "convicted" by AMC, who took away his job, and he was also "convicted" in the court of public opinion, because of the false accusations.

Use of the word "convicted" was not literal, you moron, and if you had half a brain, YOU would understand that was the implication.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2018 5:52 AM

[quote]Woody Allen is a creep even if he didn't molest his daughter. There are enough other reasons to not want to work with him.

Yes yes yes, we all know he married his girlfriend's adopted daughter. Yawn. Get over it already. Woody and Soon Yi have been married for 20 years now and have 2 adopted kids of their own.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2018 6:09 AM

Be quiet, Woody, R9)

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2018 6:15 AM

Fuck off, batshit crazy Mia, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2018 6:15 AM

Lemme get this straight:

Chris Hardwick, who's handsome, funny, and personable, gets canned by AMC because he was too demanding in his old relationship.

Andy Cohen, who's a cross-eyed midget who sexually harasses every WHITE male who comes on his set, gets to enjoy his parlor games of sexual harassment...because he's gay?

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2018 6:21 AM

It is a bit odd how Mira Sorvino just announced how she will never work with Allen again. He hasn't asked her to in 23 years so....you're fired/I quit applies.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2018 6:21 AM

DL angry frau mob in here in 3... 2.... 1....

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2018 6:21 AM

Like Mira, I will no longer appear in Woody Allen's films!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2018 6:25 AM

Gary Morton will not allow me to appear in any Woody Allen films!

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2018 6:31 AM

Somehow though I think if Woody offered Mia a role she'd be there as soon as she could hail a cab.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2018 6:34 AM

[quote]R8 YOU'RE the fucking idiot. He was "convicted" by AMC, who took away his job.

Many states, including California/Hollywood, have "at will" emploment laws. You don't need a reason to terminate someone, or to dedcline to nenew their contract.

No doubt Hardwick will be paid for the remainder of his contract . But just because he had a job, that doesn't mean anyone's obligated to keep him on that job indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2018 6:39 AM

I seriously doubt he was done wrong for no cause. His bosses seemed to be lying in wait to dump him.

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2018 6:48 AM

It seems a lot of people detest working with him...

[bold]Chris Hardwick’s Hard Times: The Silence From Those in His Orbit Is Deafening

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2018 6:57 AM

R19 Sure Jan

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2018 6:57 AM

He's a worse asshole than the ex painted him and more stories are coming. He's through. These companies are jumping for joy. Dry drunks can be horrible.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2018 7:19 AM

He has his own company. He can just concentrate on that, surely?

(I can't say I've ever watched him on anything, which may be why I feel somewhat indifferent) ("Singled Out" ? ? ? )

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2018 7:26 AM

[quote]“What I felt that this man wanted was a woman who would feed him, sleep with him, and go to events with him,” she wrote. She said she felt pressured to take jobs at Hardwick’s company, only associate with friends he approved of and have sex with him whenever he wanted. Because he is a recovering alcoholic, he asked her not to drink in his presence, she said.

is that really that bad?

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2018 7:29 AM

I don't understand, he didn't break any laws, he was simply a jerk in past relationships, of the average variety. MeToo has gone too far.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2018 7:42 AM

Where are the nudes?

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2018 7:46 AM

Do these same at will employers issue press release that damage one's reputation?

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2018 7:51 AM

More on the backlash

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2018 7:53 AM

R20, that's bullshit. When Lena Dunham supported a producer who was metoo'd she was dragged through the mud and forced to issue an apology because the angry Twitter mob said so. I think what was eve more telling was nine of his other girlfriends supported Dykstra.

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2018 7:55 AM

I didn’t realize Patty Hearst is his MIL. Are any others coming forward with anything other than he’s a controlling jerk? It just doesn’t seem fair that someone can just baselessly accuse another and ruin their life.

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2018 7:55 AM

Oops...nine = nine in r29. NONE of his other girlfriends supported Dykstra.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2018 7:56 AM

[quote]Woody Allen is a creep even if he didn't molest his daughter. There are enough other reasons to not want to work with him.

Then don't hire on with him in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2018 7:58 AM

MeToo became crazy.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2018 8:00 AM

[quote]R27 Do these same at will employers issue press release that damage one's reputation?

What is the wording of the press release?

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2018 8:02 AM

Does R27 mean this press release from AMC? It doesn't say he's guilty, it says they are looking into the [italic]allegations.[/italic].

[quote]“We have had a positive working relationship with Chris Hardwick for many years,” AMC said in a statement. “We take the troubling allegations that surfaced yesterday very seriously. While we assess the situation, Talking with Chris Hardwick will not air on AMC, and Chris has decided to step aside from moderating planned AMC and BBC America panels at Comic-Con International in San Diego next month.”

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2018 8:10 AM

See this bit reeks of bullshit to me, her statement after the article was posted:

[quote]I quietly posted an article today, unlisted on Medium. It clearly made the rounds. I’m overwhelmed and I want to thank all of you for your support and kind words- they mean so much to me. I may take some time off the internet, please know your support means everything to me.

Her actor boyfriend had posted her article and even pinned it to his Twitter account. And who knows how many other friends of hers reposted it. She didn't just "quietly" post it - she put it out there to get read, and she made sure it did. The false modesty after the story blew up feels totally disengenuous.

TMZ claims to have tests between the two that are very telling, as well, where she tries to reconcile with him after cheating on him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2018 8:13 AM

In the age of metoo wording doesn't matter. Just the issuance of a press release is enough. An, if you do want to get into wording, The Nerdist went above and beyond "we're investigating".

by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2018 8:20 AM

Not really. There's nothing they say that's untrue:

[quote]“Nerdist prides itself on being an inclusive company made up of a positive, diverse community of people who come together to share, celebrate, and discuss the things we love. That type of behavior is contrary to everything we stand for and believe in, and we absolutely don’t tolerate discrimination, harassment, and other forms of abuse.”......“Chris Hardwick had no operational involvement with Nerdist for the two years preceding the expiration of his contract in December 2017. He no longer has any affiliation with Legendary Digital Networks. The company has removed all reference to Mr. Hardwick even as the original Founder of Nerdist pending further investigation.”

Besides which, they're not his employer, so they're not firing him. His name is associated with their company, and they are establishing that they are not in support of the alleged behavior. Which they are not.

by Anonymousreply 38June 20, 2018 8:29 AM

They are responding to a guaranteed boycott if they stand behind him, with no way of guaranteeing they would be absolved after the fact and likely the damage to the companies would have already been done. Reacting quickly to such accusations is the only way they can defend themselves against the bullying mobs. And even then you have people grandstanding on the accusations (like the "I will never write for the Nerdiest again!" drama queen) so it shows they were right, from a corporate standpoint, to do it (although their statement goes way too far in my opinion, someone there clearly had an issue with the article and was casting judgement).

The fault lies mostly with the source of the accusations who knew full well what she was doing in this climate, as well as with the mob who uses it to hammer everyone down in their wake.

These #metoo stories have a few ways they can go, and anyone caught in the initial wave, suffers mightily.

by Anonymousreply 39June 20, 2018 8:34 AM

Sure they did, r38. They implied Chris Hardwick is none of what they stand for.

by Anonymousreply 40June 20, 2018 8:35 AM

R38 you can rule lawyer that statement all you like but the reasonable gist is that they believe the accusations and then bend over backwards to disassociate themselves from him. It was a very strong implication and condemnation and was unnecessary from a PR standpoint.

by Anonymousreply 41June 20, 2018 8:36 AM

Well, if you say so.

by Anonymousreply 42June 20, 2018 8:47 AM

We accept your apology.

by Anonymousreply 43June 20, 2018 8:50 AM

"YOU'RE the fucking idiot.

He was "convicted" by AMC,"

If that were remotely true, you wouldn't need the quotation marks to justify your ridiculous point.

by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2018 8:58 AM

R44^ doesn't understand quotation marks or context

by Anonymousreply 45June 20, 2018 9:01 AM

It's not some new trend that employees are suspended or removed from the workplace when they're embroiled in scandal, whether the accusations are true or not.

That's a longheld business practice.

by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2018 9:13 AM

R46 this isn't a typical situation and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 47June 20, 2018 9:35 AM

Well, if you say so.

by Anonymousreply 48June 20, 2018 9:44 AM

I accept your resignation.

by Anonymousreply 49June 20, 2018 9:52 AM

Chris’ breakup text to Chloe in 2014 via TMZ (because I guess she cheated on him repeatedly with a guy he works with named Sam) and her responses begging him to talk to her and take her back.

2014 is *way* before anyone could foresee #MeToo coming—and to be honest, (in his letter/text to Chloe at least) Hardwick actually comes across as basically thoughtful, introspective, and really not quite like the misogynistic psycho Chloe portrayed him as.

She comes across as very emotionally needy in the texts and behavior described (possible BPD?)

And she still apparently wanted him back a year later (in 2015) according to the texts.

It’s well worth the read. I do not think a man should be fired over this ridiculous relationship drama....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 20, 2018 9:58 AM

[quote]I accept your resignation.

Isn't that what AMC said?

by Anonymousreply 51June 20, 2018 10:02 AM

mighty sweet to see a bona fide bully get taken down.....

by Anonymousreply 52June 20, 2018 10:59 AM

R50, if that woman wanted to get back with the guy after 7 months since break up, then it's clear she is just lying about her situation. And now just wants revenge.

by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2018 11:06 AM

I am unclear how he can send a 3 page text without typos of any sort...

by Anonymousreply 54June 20, 2018 11:10 AM

I’m shocked this is happening because women are so emotionally stable you’d literally never predict this.

by Anonymousreply 55June 20, 2018 11:24 AM

AMC’s actions are pretty standard. Anyone in a public role is subject to this type of immediate dissociation by their employer.

It’s curious how people in high profile public roles have to have extremely high self confidence to do their job, but that confidence can be acted out as dominating in their own personal repationships.

by Anonymousreply 56June 20, 2018 11:26 AM

r54 it looks like it was intended as a final send off, so he probably took his time with it. He says this is his last communication with her.

by Anonymousreply 57June 20, 2018 11:31 AM

r51 that doesn't even make sense.

by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2018 11:31 AM

^^ Well, it does if you've read their press release.

[quote]Chris has decided to step aside from moderating planned AMC and BBC America panels at Comic-Con International in San Diego next month.”

by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2018 11:43 AM

Here's the thing with this lying skank. She has some type of project coming out/opening. She put this out there right before so she would bring attention to her project

She's a lying, cheating, pathetic cunt. And she shit on every female that has ever been sexually abused/ raped. She used each and every sex crime victim's experience for publicity. She's the worst kind of female

by Anonymousreply 60June 20, 2018 12:13 PM

[quote] Chris Hardwick, who's handsome, funny, and personable

Hahahaha. Thanks for the laugh. He's an out of shape, charmless nerd.

by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2018 12:15 PM

I honestly enjoyed Nerdist podcast back when he had celebs not plugging a new film, etc. He is a good interviewer.

That said, he knew the professional risks of his asshole-ish behavior, like anyone else in entertainment. He also knew the risk of dating an extremely attractive woman, who’s also in the entertainment industry. She wasn’t about to be barefoot and pregnant, waiting on him all the time.

by Anonymousreply 62June 20, 2018 12:23 PM

Why does he sound so "betrayed" in the loooooong text to this ex Chloe Dykstra, when he himself met his wife (Lydia Hearst) while still in a relationship with Dykstra?

by Anonymousreply 63June 20, 2018 12:39 PM

Will he really be fired for being an asshole boyfriend? He is no Weinstein. Maybe AMC put the show on pause to confirm if there will be a flood of accusers.

by Anonymousreply 64June 20, 2018 12:50 PM

The Femanazis have arrive and are spreading their disinformation. Hardwick met Hearst at a taping of his show when she was in the audience but they had no contact until months later...AFTER they were both single.

by Anonymousreply 65June 20, 2018 2:34 PM

If someone is an asshole to you, you dump them and move on. Even by her own account, he sounds selfish and thoughtless and sexually demanding, but not in fact emotionally abusive. I have slight pause for thought over the sex stuff she describes but lots of people in a relationship will do stuff to make someone else happy at various times, particularly if sex drives are mismatched. If that balance really isn’t working for you then talk it through or leave. Most married couples have said worse things to each other over the years than the quotes she gives.

by Anonymousreply 66June 20, 2018 2:42 PM

Having her blackballed is what bothers a lot of people, more than the other accusations. That is an assholeish move.

by Anonymousreply 67June 20, 2018 2:54 PM

Oh give it a rest. You losers have spent MONTHS saying each new thing proves that #MeToo has gone too far.

Remember that massive backlash you all said was coming in January is #MeToo didn't stop? How'd that work out for you?

by Anonymousreply 68June 20, 2018 2:58 PM

[R1] Fucking really the scumbag had a sexual relationship and married his ex-wife adoptive daughter.

by Anonymousreply 69June 20, 2018 3:02 PM

It sounds like Chris was a pita to work with and AMC used these allegations as an opportunity to get rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 70June 20, 2018 3:10 PM

She said she has video evidence. I hope it's good because this guy bothers me.

by Anonymousreply 71June 20, 2018 3:43 PM

If the texts at R50 are legit, then this sounds exactly like what Mia did to Woody after she found about him and Soon Yi. (You can judge Allen all you want for taking up with Soon Yi, but the fact that they've now been married almost 20 years and have 2 adopted kids should tell you all you need to know about the legitimacy of their relationship.) Mia decided to take revenge on Woody by convincing her daughter that her father molested her, and despite there being zero evidence or credibility to the story, it took on a life of its own. This sounds like what Chloe is now trying to do to Chris, i.e., destroy his reputation in the eyes of the public as an act of revenge. Again, I have no idea if those texts between Chris and Chloe are real, but if they are, then this story should be over.

by Anonymousreply 72June 20, 2018 4:06 PM

I'm going to boycott AMC, as should every male who is concerned about having their reputation dragged through the mud, based on ridiculous allegations, by vindictive skanks.

This is absolute bullshit.

From this point forward, I will never take this #METOO movement seriously, and I will always side with the male.

How's that?

by Anonymousreply 73June 20, 2018 4:19 PM

ZERO chance you weren't already doing that R73. So no loss

by Anonymousreply 74June 20, 2018 4:21 PM

R73, boycott all you like...but the only people worried about being portrayed as assholes are assholes. Kind people aren’t getting caught up in this metoo stuff.

by Anonymousreply 75June 20, 2018 4:33 PM

It better be a video of him beating her or telling people to blackball her from the industry, r71, cause he pretty much said they were shitty to each other.

by Anonymousreply 76June 20, 2018 4:37 PM

[quote] It better be a video of him beating her or telling people to blackball her

It won't be either of these, because she's full of shit.

All that comes out of her filthy mouth, are lies.

by Anonymousreply 77June 20, 2018 5:14 PM

Even women aren't buying her bullshit.

The author of the article is female, and even she knows that this Dykstra bitch is a fucking liar.

by Anonymousreply 78June 20, 2018 5:14 PM

Yvette Nicole Brown had better not take his job.

That would be the ultimate betrayal.

by Anonymousreply 79June 20, 2018 5:33 PM

He hasn't been fired, yet. All the press releases say is that things have been suspended pending the outcome of investigations. And there has been a recent case where the person was reinstated after the investigation turned up nothing. I think he was head of some acting organization like AMPAS.

by Anonymousreply 80June 20, 2018 5:36 PM

The MeToo movement is every crazy ex’s wet dream come true.

by Anonymousreply 81June 20, 2018 5:37 PM

We demand justice for white, wealthy, heterosexual, Christian men who are being victimized. They are defenseless and need ever keyboard warrior to speak out to protect them. Only through our outrage can these gentle souls be saved from persecution. Think about the priveleged, won't you?

by Anonymousreply 82June 20, 2018 5:45 PM

Agree R82 some of these defenders are truly pathetic. I like the show too. You don't see me embarrassing myself over a random famous persons behavior

by Anonymousreply 83June 20, 2018 5:47 PM

[quote] He hasn't been fired, yet

He should still sue for defamation, and damage to his present and future career prospects. Sue that bitch for every penny she has.

[quote] We demand justice for white, wealthy, heterosexual, Christian men who are being victimized

You're the only one playing the victim card. Especially since you have no concrete evidence against Chris Hardwick, except for one scorned and bitter woman's empty accusations.

I guess your argument is that Men = BAD, and so all of them must be brought down, whether it be through lies, or any other types of slander.

Because woman = good, and man = bad. Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 84June 20, 2018 5:49 PM

[quote]R79 Yvette Nicole Brown had better not take his job. That would be the ultimate betrayal.

Because she's a black female?

by Anonymousreply 85June 20, 2018 5:51 PM

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I just find the misogynists' rallying to the perceived victimhood of people who couldn't be better equipped to defend themselves funny. It is so clearly the victimhood adjacency crap that they loathe in true victims who actually do lack the means to defend themselves.

by Anonymousreply 86June 20, 2018 5:55 PM

[quote] Because she's a black female?

I'm sure you'd like to believe that, being the good VICTIM that you're so used to playing.

But, no. I was thinking that the betrayal would be because she is his FRIEND, and he has had her on the show millions of times, because they get along so well.

And friends don't take other friends' jobs (especially under dubious circumstances), but you wouldn't know anything about being a FRIEND, would you? Dumbshit.

by Anonymousreply 87June 20, 2018 5:59 PM

[quote]r87 but you wouldn't know anything about being a FRIEND, would you?

I'd imagine, not with you.

by Anonymousreply 88June 20, 2018 6:03 PM

R86, this is Datalounge where pointless bitchery is the sites motto. It's a place for discussion which is what people are doing here, including you. Not my problem you can't handle opposing opinions.

by Anonymousreply 89June 20, 2018 6:04 PM

R86 said they were amused, not destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 90June 20, 2018 6:06 PM

R86 is passive aggressive. She is just annoyed that people on DL discuss things that she doesn't agree with and rather than join a discussion she tried to take down those in the discussion because she doesn't agree.

by Anonymousreply 91June 20, 2018 6:16 PM

Can someone explain R86's word salad, please?

That rant was quite over-dressed.

by Anonymousreply 92June 20, 2018 6:20 PM

The venom toward AMC is misplaced. They have handled it appropriately by putting things on hold until further investigation.

He has not been fired, they’ve only put the talk show on hold and accepted his decision to step aside in reference to the panels at the nerd convention in SD next month.

They even mentioned enjoying a positive working relationship with him over the past few seasons.

by Anonymousreply 93June 20, 2018 6:37 PM

Famous men should stop dating anyone cause at any time some ex will crawl out of the woods because that ex is bitter and wants revenge.

by Anonymousreply 94June 20, 2018 6:39 PM

R93 Additionally, surely hes still getting paid. We would assume he has a contract.

by Anonymousreply 95June 20, 2018 6:40 PM

He said she said in a relationship gone sour? She was "hooked" by him at 4 weeks and stayed in for "abuse" another 4 years. Sounds crazy. How can he be professionally disciplined for this?

by Anonymousreply 96June 20, 2018 6:41 PM

R96, that's my question too - at most he is just a really bad boyfriend, but what it has to do with his profession and why should he be professionally disciplined for it?

by Anonymousreply 97June 20, 2018 6:44 PM

The only problem press release was issued by The Nerdist. AMC and NBC both said that they were accessing the situation and a decision will be made pending an investigation.

by Anonymousreply 98June 20, 2018 6:44 PM

Wow, she couldn't drink in front of a recovering alcoholic. The indignity.

Women like this need to grow the fuck up seriously. But this current zeitgeist rewards this shit. Not for much longer, I hope.

by Anonymousreply 99June 20, 2018 6:45 PM

So, why are the posters who are upset about the perception that Mr. Hardwick is being "convicting" so quick, themselves, to "convict" Ms. Dykstra?

by Anonymousreply 100June 20, 2018 6:46 PM

R100, cause Dykstra is not the one who is losing her jobs, sweetie. Also she is the one who started it all in public.

by Anonymousreply 101June 20, 2018 6:48 PM

Well, by the rationale at R96 & R97, why should Roseanne have been professionally disciplined?

Her racist scheeching had nothing to do with her profession.

The answer is simple:

It isn’t about ‘discipline’... it’s about public relations and protecting your brand. That’s what execs at ABC & AMC are paid to do.

Nothing unreasonable about putting things on hold until clarity is brought to the situation.

by Anonymousreply 102June 20, 2018 6:49 PM

[quote]R101 cause Dykstra is not the one who is losing her jobs, sweetie.

But he has not lost his job(s). He walked away from one convention, and is still on salary for the AMC shows.

You need to express yourself more accurately.

by Anonymousreply 103June 20, 2018 6:54 PM

[quote] Dykstra is not the one who is losing her jobs, sweetie. Also she is the one who started it all in public.

[quote] Nothing unreasonable about putting things on hold until clarity is brought to the situation.

Exactly. She isn't the one being dragged through the mud, HE is, because of her VERY public allegations. And she has produced nothing, beyond the fact that she ADMITTED she cheated on him, and his crime was that he didn't want to take her back.

Oh, the horror!

As for the second part, what exactly is being examined, that his very busy and public career must be put on hold for some cheating whore?

There are no allegations of sexual or domestic abuse, or his cheating, or anything else of the sort. So how does this qualify as something that could be potentially career ending?

It's all bullshit. It has been taken too far, and she needs to be PUNISHED for her RECKLESSNESS.

This Dykstra woman needs to learn that actions have consequences. Sue her for everything she's worth, and make her pay.

EXPOSING her lies, through public humiliation, is the only way that Chris Hardwick will find any sort of career redemption.

And then sue AMC immediately after, for causing him "pain and suffering," defamation, and loss of wages, due to their negligence.

I guarantee that Hardwick would either win the case outright, or negotiate a good settlement.

by Anonymousreply 104June 20, 2018 6:58 PM

Zero chance of prevailing against AMC

by Anonymousreply 105June 20, 2018 7:00 PM

[quote]R104 EXPOSING her lies, through public humiliation, is the only way that Chris Hardwick will find any sort of career redemption.

Maybe he has an advisory job for you?

by Anonymousreply 106June 20, 2018 7:14 PM

[quote] Zero chance of prevailing against AMC

Oh, really? Tell that to Frank Darabont who WON his case against AMC.

Also tell that to the other people from "The Walking Dead," in line with lawsuits against them.

AMC is a shitty, money-grubbing corporation, that treats employees like garbage.

That's why they are constantly getting sued.

Say what you will, but if Hardwick sues them, he WILL prevail - either through judgment or through settlement.

by Anonymousreply 107June 20, 2018 7:15 PM

This isn't anything like Roseanne. Roseanne took her stupidity to,the public.

In this case, what was a private matter was brought public by what is looking more and more like a crazy ex-girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 108June 20, 2018 7:33 PM

[quote]R107 Tell that to Frank Darabont who WON his case against AMC.

Is there a more recent decision? What did he win?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 20, 2018 7:35 PM

He’s going to win a suit on the basis of AMC being declared a shitty company by an online screecher?

Yeah... that’s not how any of this works...

He would need to show damages and pulling his show temporarily while continuing to pay him ain’t gonna cut it.

by Anonymousreply 110June 20, 2018 7:46 PM

R108:

That’s a distinction without difference in reference to the networks.

From their perspective, messiness from the private life of an employee leaked into the public record and they have to act in defense of their brand.

It was easy with Roseanne because she tweeted the info and ABC acted swiftly.

It’s far more complicated with Hardwick which is why AMC is taking it slow and hopefully trying to figure out what it best.

In both cases, the network has every right to figure out if they have a toxic individual among their ranks.

Hopefully this will be the lasting legacy of the #metoo era:

Powerful people in big organizations will take allegations seriously and act in the interest of justice, not just their self-interest.

by Anonymousreply 111June 20, 2018 7:59 PM

This isn’t even #metoo it’s someone co-opting that movement to get revenge on a boyfriend who dumped her and didn’t want her back when she begged. And companies blindly disassociating themselves from him based on her accusations just show they didn’t ever care about any of the movement, they’re just in it to avoid PR backlash. Otherwise they’d be more nuanced about this.

Articles keep referring to her being a victim of sexual assault by Chris. But she only alleged she had sex with him consensually when she wasn’t in the mood. This has all gone too far.

by Anonymousreply 112June 20, 2018 8:11 PM

I’m unclear on the assault part as well. I suppose AMC is too and that’s why he still has a job.

by Anonymousreply 113June 20, 2018 8:17 PM

Seriously, r111. There's a huge distinction. Roseanne's show was canceled immediately. Hardwick's future is pending investigation.

Some allegations will be taken seriously. Allegations about bad dates and toxic relationships...not so much going forward. The public seems to be more critical of the woman when someone disguises revenge as an allegation of abuse.

by Anonymousreply 114June 20, 2018 8:23 PM

If it turns out she has nothing other than her open letter, then you are most likely right about her hurting the #metoo movement in some way.

I would expect her to clarify the assault part and verify the blackball part to be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 115June 20, 2018 8:29 PM

There's nothing to clarify on the assualt. She was very clear in,her essay that she consented, just wasn't entheuiastic about it. What she does need to back up is that she was blackballed in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 116June 20, 2018 8:57 PM

[quote]R115 If it turns out she has nothing other than her open letter, then you are most likely right about her hurting the #metoo movement in some way.

I guess for people who live on the Internet and have a more hazy connecction to events in the real world it could.

But there's already people who detest the #metoo movement, and people who feel a kinship to it, and I don't see either of those bases being swayed much by one story/incident. Then there's many more people who read or hear of a story (either way) and think [italic]"Well, that's interesting, but it's not motivating me to actually do anything in real life."[/italic]

Our Western Society is fairly apathetic, as a rule. When it gets right down to it.

by Anonymousreply 117June 20, 2018 10:02 PM

So, what did R107 mean when they wrote:

[quote]Tell that to Frank Darabont [bold]who WON[/bold] his case against AMC.

Is that just uninformed blathering?

by Anonymousreply 118June 20, 2018 10:04 PM

No, r117. The world isn't nearly as binary as you make it to be.

by Anonymousreply 119June 20, 2018 10:08 PM

R114 it is different now that we are several days in. Go back to the original thread and you will see a reflection of what the initial wave was like. It's absolute mayhem, focused on him and anyone defending her was bullied off the thread immediately. That's the initial wave. Now that were several days into it the hysteria has lessened somewhat but it's still pretty toxic for anyone offering the slightest defense of her actions.

by Anonymousreply 120June 20, 2018 10:09 PM

Frank Darabont to Seek More Than $280 Million From AMC at 'Walking Dead' Profits Trial

The Walking Dead co-creator Frank Darabont and his CAA agents have hit the homestretch in their lawsuit against AMC over the hit zombie show's profits. In a certificate of trial readiness filed on Monday, the plaintiffs reveal that they will be seeking a whopping damages verdict in excess of $280 million.

"Plaintiffs' damages claim has no basis in reality and we will continue to vigorously defend against this lawsuit," said AMC in a statement provided to The Hollywood Reporter.

Darabont was fired in the middle of the second season and his lawsuit contends that AMC has robbed him of contingent profits by producing the series and then licensing it to its cable network affiliate for not enough money. The lawsuit is a good example of a "vertical integration" case where AMC is arguing it negotiated the right to set an imputed license fee. Considering that Darabont was contractually entitled to as much as 10 percent of certain Walking Dead profits after deductions, the damages figure suggests the series has made billions. The lawsuit asserts, however, that a low license fee formula has been designed to ensure that the show would never be in the black for profit participants.

A trial will also feature the circumstances of Darabont's departure from Walking Dead, which will enter its seventh season in October. That's because Darabont is also alleging that AMC improperly reduced his profit share by not counting him as fully vested in the second season. He says he worked on all of the episodes of the second season while AMC asserts he had to be working full-time on the show at the end of the second cycle. A judge allowed the claim after an explosive deposition from Darabont was revealed detailing the "crisis-level problems" on the show.

Last week, discovery in the dispute formally ended.

On Tuesday, Justice Eileen Bransten held a status conference.

The next step in the dispute is summary judgment motions that will provide an even fuller picture of AMC's hit show and Darabont's negotiations.

If the judge allows the case to move forward, it will go to trial, though don't expect it anytime soon. At the hearing, Bransten said her 2017 schedule was completely booked and that the parties would need to wait until 2018 at the earliest. If and when that does occur, the trial will mark one of the biggest profit cases in television history with a potential outcome that surpasses the $319 million verdict that Disney suffered in the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire lawsuit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 20, 2018 10:12 PM

I am not sure how you mean "bianary" in that sense.

It's not a word I use.

by Anonymousreply 122June 20, 2018 10:13 PM

^^ for r119, who will hopefully explain.

by Anonymousreply 123June 20, 2018 10:14 PM

"Apathetic," R117?

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 124June 20, 2018 10:14 PM

You got that backwards, r120. Anyone defending Hardwick was bullied.

by Anonymousreply 125June 20, 2018 10:15 PM

R125 it was a typo. I said her instead of him in the last sentence.

by Anonymousreply 126June 20, 2018 10:16 PM

Walking Dead Stuntman’s Family Sues AMC for Wrongful Death

Meanwhile, series co-creator Frank Darabont has filed a second lawsuit against the network.

The Walking Dead and AMC now have a new lawsuit on their hands—from the mother of John Bernecker, a stuntman who died on set last year. The network and its crown jewel are already facing a lawsuit from Frank Darabont, who filed an additional suit on Thursday.

Bernecker died last summer on set in Atlanta during a stunt gone wrong. (Soon after, another stunt performer died on the set of Deadpool 2.) After Bernecker’s death, his mother, Susan Bernecker, vowed to “seek justice.”

The wrongful-death suit, Deadline reports, rests the blame on the network’s shoulders, alleging that the show’s production, in the filing’s words, “had an emphasis on keeping production budgets low and profits high.” The suit names AMC, the various production companies that collaborate to make The Walking Dead, and actor Austin Amelio, who plays Dwight on the show. (Amelio’s manager did not immediately respond to V.F.’s request for comment.) AMC, the lawsuit alleges, “put pressure” on production “to produce episodes of The Walking Dead as cheaply as possible.” The alleged cost cutting, the suit says, led to a pattern in which the show’s production budgets, including stunt budgets, were low, and thus the production itself was unsafe.

The fall was never rehearsed, the suit continues, and while a medic was available on location, there was no ambulance or medical transport, “contrary to industry standards.”

“As the ultimate decision-makers for The Walking Dead production, the AMC Defendants are each independently responsible for the failure of The Walking Dead production to take reasonable safety precautions to protect its performer, John Bernecker,” the suit adds. “Each of the Defendants had knowledge, actual or constructive, that the filming of Season 8 of The Walking Dead, including Episode 807, was not being performed in a safe manner in accordance with industry standards.”

AMC provided V.F. with the following statement: “Our thoughts and prayers are and have been with John Bernecker, his family, friends, and everyone touched by this tragic accident since the moment it occurred. We take the safety of our employees on all of our sets extremely seriously, and meet or exceed industry safety standards. Out of respect for the family, we will have no further comment on this litigation.”

Meanwhile, the network continues to deal with another set of lawsuits filed by Walking Dead co-creator Frank Darabont. Though the network is awaiting a summary judgment on Darabont’s original lawsuit from a few years ago, Darabont filed a second suit against the network on Thursday. You might recall the first lawsuit, filed in 2013, due to the many colorful Darabont e-mails it unearthed, which included rage-filled sentiments such as “YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE MOTHERFUCKING SCRIPT!” (Interestingly, one Darabont gripe was that despite its massive success in Season 1, AMC slashed the Walking Dead budget for Season 2.)

Per The Hollywood Reporter, Darabont claimed in the 2013 lawsuit that the network “robbed him of contingent profits by producing the series and then licensing it to its cable network affiliate at a well-below-market rate.” In the new filing, T.H.R. reports, Darabont claims that despite a clause in his agreement that ensures his treatment is equal to every other Walking Dead profit participant, Walking Dead comics creator Robert Kirkman has a better contract with AMC—one that affords Kirkman better protection against self-dealing than Darabont’s contract does. In a letter to the court Tuesday, AMC has asked the court to pause the first lawsuit while it decides if the two filings should be consolidated. The new filing, the letter says, is a “transparent and unfair attempt to game the system and secure a second bite at the apple if they do not prevail in this case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 20, 2018 10:18 PM

[quote]R121 the case is still pending.

Right.

So in other words, R107 is full of shit when saying Mr. Darabont has "won" anything.

by Anonymousreply 128June 20, 2018 10:20 PM

“This Court should recognize this maneuver for what it is—an outrageously unfair gambit to litigate this case twice, in a piecemeal and shotgun fashion, on potentially different (and conflicting) theories,” the letter adds. “Plaintiffs are, in effect, still throwing legal theories at the wall in the hopes one will stick—if not in this case, then in their duplicative second-filed action.”

In response to the letter, Darabont’s attorney Dale Kinsella provided T.H.R. with the following statement: “AMC’s written communication directly to Justice Bransten, while the Court is preparing to rule on Darabont’s dispositive motion, is both outrageous and manifestly improper. Worse, it should be obvious from even a casual reading of the letter that AMC is desperately seeking to divert attention away from its wrongful conduct during the three years of discovery in the underlying Darabont action. When Justice Bransten takes up the question of what sanctions are appropriate for AMC’s deplorable conduct, it will be decided not on the basis of AMC’s hysterical 11th-hour plea to halt the case, but on a fully developed record. Finally, AMC’s letter, written by its new counsel, reflects either a misunderstanding of the facts or a deliberate attempt to mislead the Court about the nature of the two separate actions. Darabont and CAA will be filing a further response to AMC’s frivolous letter in the days to come.”

***** End of Article *****

This is the perfect time for Hardwick to sue AMC. They're up to their asses in lawsuits.

They already have so much bad publicity for the way they do business, and they're still pulling the same shit.

His show never should have been taken off the air.

by Anonymousreply 129June 20, 2018 10:20 PM

R129 Are you R107, who claimed

[quote]Tell that to Frank Darabont who WON his case against AMC.

Because it doesn't appear we should listen to you, seeing as you're wrong on that.

by Anonymousreply 130June 20, 2018 10:23 PM

[quote] R107 is full of shit when saying Mr. Darabont has "won" anything

He will win.

AMC is stalling, using delay tactic after delay tactic, since the suit was filed over 5 years ago.

There is no doubt that he is GOING to get a share of those profits. AMC tried to take his name off of the credits, but you'll see that his name is still in the opening credits as a co-creator. And as a co-creator, he's entitled to profits which AMC is not paying him. They'd rather tie up his suit in court, than pay him his due.

However, justice will prevail. Just like it will in this case, when Dykstra is found to be the liar that she truly is. That's why Hardwick should sue AMC, for damage to his reputation.

PS, the stuntman's family will win against AMC, as well.

by Anonymousreply 131June 20, 2018 10:25 PM

I don't really have any strong opinions of this guy other than he's an extremely smug white guy with dubious talents. Smug white guys are due for comeuppance everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 132June 20, 2018 10:47 PM

"Smug white guys are due for comeuppance everywhere!"

You could run for office on that platform.

by Anonymousreply 133June 20, 2018 10:49 PM

I don't think so. Half the reason Mr. Trump won is that he was a smug white guy running against a woman.

We're not exactly in "overthrow" mode, in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 134June 20, 2018 11:01 PM

My takeaway is that grown men shouldn't date silly cosplay girls who are 15+ years younger. She's not more attractive or talented than thousands of other girls in LA. Maybe she didn't get hired anymore because once they broke up no one felt obligated to employ the King of Nerdist's girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 135June 20, 2018 11:30 PM

Dunno who this guy is but crazy cunt is salty coz dude moved on to somebody prettier and richer than her. But dude is probably attracted to the crazy though, Lydia seems cray too, but she was one of my favorite bug eyed models at that time that alien doll face was the prevailing look in fashion.

by Anonymousreply 136June 21, 2018 12:21 AM

Lydia isn't prettier, but there are a couple billion reasons why he loves her more.

by Anonymousreply 137June 21, 2018 12:44 AM

Wil Wheaton says, give me time to process these allegations against my BEST FRIEND before I issue a statement!

by Anonymousreply 138June 21, 2018 2:24 AM

he stepped on a lot of people on his grinding to the top,,,,so folks are glad to have the chance to throw his sorry ass into the gutter.

good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 139June 21, 2018 2:26 AM

[quote] he stepped on a lot of people on his grinding to the top,,,,so folks are glad to have the chance to throw his sorry ass into the gutter

Again, more bitter lies towards Chris Hardwick, fabricated by irrational haters, and with NOTHING to back them up.

Just like the lying whore who started this mess.

Quelle surprise.

by Anonymousreply 140June 21, 2018 3:01 AM

[quote]R138 Wil Wheaton says, give me time to process these allegations against my BEST FRIEND before I issue a statement!

Doesn't Wil Wheaton look like Rachel Maddow, though, a little bit??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141June 21, 2018 4:17 AM

I’m certain he deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 142June 21, 2018 4:21 AM

Part of her argument was that Chris didn't want her to drink around him because he is a recovering alcoholic - oh the horror and abuse on his part! That's like someone with emphysema asking for you to not smoke around them. She certainly does sound like a selfish, unstable, vindictive "bunny boiler". If she had a clear cut case of abuse towards her by him, then she should have a.) called him out by name directly, b.) done this years ago, and c.) have the evidence ready to go. All she is doing is chirping in everyone's ear *publicly* to draw suspicion towards him and defame him, out of revenge and to stir up publicity for herself, at the expense of women who have actually been sexually abused. The whole way she went about "revealing" this reeks of baiting.

by Anonymousreply 143June 21, 2018 5:07 AM

Is it me or does the prevalence of borderline personality disorder seem to be increasing among young American women?

by Anonymousreply 144June 21, 2018 6:08 AM

"Is it me or does the prevalence of borderline personality disorder seem to be increasing among young American women?"

It is you.

It's always been you.

by Anonymousreply 145June 21, 2018 7:01 AM

^ womyn

by Anonymousreply 146June 21, 2018 8:04 AM

The complaint about being asked to not drink around him because he is a recovering alcoholic is one of the most stupid things in the original piece, and an editor should have taken it out. It’s not completely regular, but a reasonable request from an alcoholic in a relationship with a non-alcoholic. Too much for you? Leave. Nowhere near abusive.

by Anonymousreply 147June 21, 2018 9:40 AM

The texts mentioned in the article from R28...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148June 21, 2018 1:00 PM

And already directly linked in r36

by Anonymousreply 149June 21, 2018 1:14 PM

Chris Hardwick, in my opinion, is a victim of a young girl who is mashing sour grapes because she did not get the ring on her finger.

by Anonymousreply 150June 21, 2018 1:58 PM

She sounds cringey in those texts.

by Anonymousreply 151June 21, 2018 3:13 PM

More silliness in the War on Nookie. Next!

by Anonymousreply 152June 21, 2018 4:55 PM

[quote]We demand justice for white, wealthy, heterosexual, Christian men who are being victimized. They are defenseless and need ever keyboard warrior to speak out to protect them

I'm not a fan of his. I don't watch he's in or has been on. I don't even watch the zombie show. But I don't want anyone to be accused and fired for something they didn't do. But, evidently you don't mind false accusations, lying about sexual assaults that didn't happen and other various disgusting things

When someone lies about being raped, they are proving they think rape is no big deal and essentially a joke. And you support that. You are such a decent person

by Anonymousreply 153June 21, 2018 5:37 PM

Exactly, R153!

Thank you for pointing out the insanity in that post.

by Anonymousreply 154June 21, 2018 6:41 PM

Lydia Hearst has broken her silence about the allegations surrounding her husband Chris Hardwick.

Last week, actress and TV personality Chloe Dykstra accused an ex of emotional and sexual abuse in a first-person essay. Although she did not name her alleged abuser, she said he was 20 years older than her and sober, which led fans to identify him as Hardwick.

“This is not a statement in defense, this is a statement of defense,” Hearst tells PEOPLE in an exclusive statement. “Defense for all the women who have been sexually abused, raped, trafficked, and tortured; defense of all the people who this movement was started for. Over the last year the #MeToo movement has rightly aimed a spotlight directly on women whose stories needed to be told. As someone who has been involved in toxic relationships in the past, I know first hand the importance of sharing these stories and do not take this situation lightly. ”

“I have made the decision to come out in support of my husband not out of obligation, but out of necessity to speak the truth about the person I know. Chris is nothing but loving and compassionate and is the only person who has stood by me, never judged me, helped me heal, and feel whole. To defend my husband would be giving credence to any of these accusations. I will not do that. Chris Hardwick is a good man,” she adds. “I remain in complete support of my husband, and I believe that the truth will always win. #TimesUp because I know my truth and I believe in due process.”

Hearst, 33, and Hardwick, 46, got married in 2016.

Since Dykstra went public, AMC pulled Hardwick’s show Talking with Chris Hardwick, and he was fired from moderating two panels at San Diego’s Comic-Con in July.

“I was heartbroken to read Chloe’s post. Our three year relationship was not perfect — we were ultimately not a good match and argues — even shouted at each other — but I loved her and did my best to uplift and support her as a partner and companion in any way and at no time did I sexually assault her,” said Hardwick, 46.

He continued by describing their relationship at the time and claiming the actress had been unfaithful to him when they were a couple.

“When we were living together, I found out that Chloe had cheated on me, and I ended the relationship,” Hardwick said. “For several weeks after we broke up, she asked to get back together with me and even told me she wanted to have kids with me, ‘build a life’ with me and told me that I was ‘the one,’ but I did not want to be with someone who was unfaithful.”

“I’m devastated to read that she is now accusing me of conduct that did not occur,” Hardwick, who is married to model Lydia Hearst, added. “I was blindsided by her post and always wanted the best for her. As a husband, a son, and future father, I do not condone any kind of mistreatment of women.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 21, 2018 9:46 PM

R155, subtle. She shades Dykstra pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 156June 21, 2018 10:01 PM

Funny how we have neither heard, nor read anything in support of Dykstra.

Hmm.... I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 157June 21, 2018 10:12 PM

Guys who date/marry women way younger than themselves are kind of creepy anyway. The relationship stuff is down to he said/she said but what is well known is that he did along with some female associate actively work to get her blackballed.

by Anonymousreply 158June 21, 2018 10:21 PM

[quote]R147 The complaint about being asked to not drink around him because he is a recovering alcoholic is one of the most stupid things in the original piece.. [it's] a reasonable request from an alcoholic in a relationship with a non-alcoholic.

That's retarded. Recovering alcoholics take responsibility for [italic]their own[/italic] addiction. They don't dictate that others follow their behavior.

If he goes to a restaurant, does he make everyone else send back their drinks, too?

In AA, they accept that

by Anonymousreply 159June 21, 2018 10:24 PM

^^ (continued) their problems with alcohol are THEIR OWN. Whether others drink or not is none of their business.

by Anonymousreply 160June 21, 2018 10:25 PM

[quote]R143 Part of her argument was that Chris didn't want her to drink around him because he is a recovering alcoholic... That's like someone with emphysema asking for you to not smoke around them.

It's not at all the same. Secondhand cigarette smoke could conceivably enter the lungs of another person present.

There is no "secondhand alcohol" that flies across a table from one person's drink to enter another person's system.

Study physics.

by Anonymousreply 161June 21, 2018 10:31 PM

R159, “retarded” is a little strong, no? Ok, he wasn’t doing what AA do and he was maybe asking too much of her, but still not abuse. Having a partner who drinks when you don’t means there’s alcohol on your table, there’s alcohol in your home. But if really she doesn’t like not drinking around her lover, then just leave him.

by Anonymousreply 162June 22, 2018 2:13 AM

R144 I don't know about that but I'm wondering about it's prevalence among certain DL posters.

by Anonymousreply 163June 22, 2018 2:16 AM

[quote]R162 Having a partner who drinks when you don’t means there’s alcohol on your table, there’s alcohol in your home.

Of course you would negotiate alcohol in the home if your partner was in recovery. But according to her, within two weeks he's given her a bunch of flat out DEMANDS, including that she not speak in public when they were out together.

[quote]As he was sober, I was not to drink alcohol. Before we began dating he said, “I noticed you have a glass of wine with dinner. That’s going to stop.”

He sounds utterly charming.

by Anonymousreply 164June 22, 2018 3:22 AM

It sounds -very much- like a long, consensual S&M relationship that she later regretted. If you aren't familiar with that lifestyle you might not understand it when it's described. Two weeks in is enough time for him to have told her what he's looking for and seeing if she's into it. She clearly was, at the time.

by Anonymousreply 165June 22, 2018 3:26 AM

And she agreed to these demands, r164. Her own essay says after two weeks she knew he was a dick but stayed. Her bad.

by Anonymousreply 166June 22, 2018 3:29 AM

[quote]r165 It sounds -very much- like a long, consensual S&M relationship

If that were the case, he could just come forward and explain they were in a Dominance & Submission type relationship.

But he's not.

[quote]when I found out [I was pregnant], I collapsed on the floor, terrified he would be furious with me. Between sobs I told him over the phone, “Please don’t be mad, and don’t worry, I have to have surgery to have it removed or it could kill me at any time.”

[quote]My fear of his anger at me for getting pregnant was literally greater than my fear of death.

[quote]I’ll never forget the night this man slept in a cot at the foot of my hospital bed after my surgery. It made me believe that deep down inside of him maybe there was a man who loved me.

[quote]Then, after my recovery, he and my mother were greeted by the doctor. “The surgery went well, she’ll be fine,” said my doctor. “Thank god,” said my mother.

[quote]“That’s great. [bold]When do you think I can have sex with her again[/bold]?” said my ex.

[quote]It was his first question. My mother never forgot.

by Anonymousreply 167June 22, 2018 3:52 AM

Well that's that, R167.

Chris Hardwick should be hanged, beheaded, drawn, and quartered for being a jerk, and having a bad sense of humor.

And then after that, do the same thing to everyone else in the world.

by Anonymousreply 168June 22, 2018 3:57 AM

r167 many people don't like to broadcast their sexual fetishes. I'm not sure that revealing himself to be an S&M person - if he even called it that - would be beneficial, either. It has a social stigma as well, despite what "Shades of Grey" would have you believe. While he may be comfortable sharing his desires with a partner, he may not be comfortable broadcasting it to the world, even if it might (and I don't think it would) save his reputation. Reading the essay, it's pretty damn clear what was going on, and it also doesn't explain her text messages sent months and then seven months after the relationship ended - that HE ended - trying to reestablish a relationship with him.

Even without him responding or saying anything, the essay itself does not hold up to scrutiny.

by Anonymousreply 169June 22, 2018 3:59 AM

[quote]R168 Chris Hardwick should be hanged, beheaded, drawn, and quartered for being a jerk, and having a bad sense of humor.

No one's calling for that. It's just understandable that corporations like AMC are reevaluating the value of having him associated with their product right now.

by Anonymousreply 170June 22, 2018 4:05 AM

[quote]r169 Even without him responding or saying anything, the essay itself does not hold up to scrutiny.

How?

by Anonymousreply 171June 22, 2018 4:08 AM

[quote] corporations like AMC are reevaluating the value of having him associated with their product right now.

HA! "Let he without sin, cast the first stone."

I don't even want to think about what that frigid, frosty, stone-faced bitch from hell (aka Gale Ann Hurd) does in her bedroom.

She probably feasts on live children as appetizers, before consuming her sexual partner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172June 22, 2018 4:13 AM

[quote]R172 HA! "Let he without sin, cast the first stone."

That's not how public relations work.

by Anonymousreply 173June 22, 2018 4:15 AM

R164 now you are talking about other things he is supposed to have done, and not the alcohol which I will say again, is a reasonable request even if he expresssed it by being a dick (apparently).

The fact is he displayed some asshole behaviour and she went along with it at an early stage in dating him. Emotional control and abuse is a real thing but so is looking back on a shitty relationship where you put up with stuff you wish you hadn’t, and I know which side of the line I feel nearly everything she wrote about, by her own descriptions, falls on.

by Anonymousreply 174June 22, 2018 1:22 PM

Uh, for starters she did cheat on him with his colleague, r171. She said it was just a kiss in her essay, but the recently released texts say otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 175June 22, 2018 2:27 PM

good riddance to bad rubbish

I knew he was icky....ESP

by Anonymousreply 176June 22, 2018 2:30 PM

[quote] I don't want anyone to be accused and fired for something they didn't do. But, evidently you don't mind false accusations, lying about sexual assaults that didn't happen and other various disgusting things

When someone lies about being raped, they are proving they think rape is no big deal and essentially a joke. And you support that. You are such a decent person

This x 1000 r153

I don’t even know who this on air person is. But the extreme corporate and online reactions to what is only private, personal, non criminal behavior is idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 177June 22, 2018 3:32 PM

He was pretty hot in "House of 1000 Corpses". (And, yes, he is an actor).

by Anonymousreply 178June 22, 2018 4:18 PM

R158, not really. Plenty of women are into older men. As long as both parties are of legal age and have consensual relationships there is nothing really wrong in dating younger/older person.

by Anonymousreply 179June 22, 2018 4:27 PM

[quote]I am unclear how he can send a 3 page text without typos of any sort...

R54, there IS a typo in it: he says "ot" instead of "to" at one point.

by Anonymousreply 180June 23, 2018 6:33 AM

Those are some weird twin moles at R172.

by Anonymousreply 181June 23, 2018 6:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!