Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is anyone else sick of Amazon?

....and now they are even using the Prime membership that you pay for to give you "all the deals" at Whole Foods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 23, 2018 3:48 AM

Alexa annoys.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2018 3:47 AM

Anyone who pays for "Prime" is an idiot. If Amazon wants your business, let it compete for it. Don't just lie down on the tracks and let Jeff Bezos run you over.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2018 3:55 AM

You got that right, R2. It pisses me off that so many people fall for it.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2018 3:58 AM

I have Prime. I like my Firestick and I love that I can listen to any song, anywhere, on demand and without ads on Amazon Music Unlimited.

But it definitely pays to look elsewhere for shopping. I need a smaller hummingbird feeder--a 4oz size. Tiny. Kind of a niche item. I priced it today, by default, on Amazon at around $17. After reading this thread, just out of curiosity, I checked eBay and it's around $12 with Fast n' Free Shipping.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2018 4:10 AM

I cancelled my account 2 years ago. If I need to buy something online I go to the product's own webpage and order it there

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2018 4:17 AM

Amazon has become too powerful. I will not get Prime just to get sale prices at Whole Foods. I’ll just buy my food elsewhere.

Right now I use Amazon for research only. Look up reviews, compare products, etc. Then I find another source.

They treat their worker bee employees like shit too. Until they get fired and replaced by robots.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2018 4:38 AM

YES!

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2018 10:23 AM

I go back and forth on it... many items are not available at Target, Walmart, Best Buy, or Bed Bath & Beyond in the store (or even online) anymore. Amazon has a lot of things & can get them here in 2 days and it just makes it easier. When I did not live in a building with a package room, then I ordered from them much less. Target, Walmart, and Best Buy all now let you order online and pick up in the store, so you don't have to get there & search for things & deal with lack of inventory.

Amazon has a lot of chinese CRAP that has an excessive amount of fake reviews. This is a huge problem, and they need to fix it. You can always return it, but once you return more than 10% of your purchases, they ban you as a customer for life, which is yet another reason I don't feel like shopping there as much. This is all an unwritten rule & they will not tell you the exact percentage or if you are getting close to it - but google it and you'll see.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2018 10:32 AM

I love Amazon. Reliable, convenient and the widest selection. Kindle books are wonderful, and in my opinion Prime television is better than Netflix at this point.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2018 10:36 AM

r5 that website you ordered it from is hosted by Amazon now

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2018 10:37 AM

No. I buy stuff from Amazon all the time.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2018 10:38 AM

What pisses me off are the fake gushing vine reviews. All these grubby fraus slobbering over some crap product in the hopes of getting more freebies. If I see more than a few free product reviews I refuse to even consider buying the product.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2018 10:48 AM

I'm also put off by the shipping charge for Prime pantry. If I am already paying for Prime, why are they tacking on extra?

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2018 10:50 AM

R12, aren't Vine videos six seconds long? How could a sex second review tell you anything?

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2018 10:53 AM

He meant the amazon vine program.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2018 10:55 AM

Amazon reading now has lots of books you can borrow for free.

More than anything, you have to admit that Amazon has made shopping more convenient than it ever has been in history. One click and it's at your door a couple of days later. No more schlepping around stores looking for the right item, size or color.

R8, Chinese crap isn't Amazon's fault. They are just the reseller. For heaven's sake, if you don't want it, don't buy it, but the crap isn't Amazon's fault. It's your job to screen for crap, not theirs. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2018 11:01 AM

R16 = Jeff Bezos

Thanks for stopping by, Jeff!!

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2018 11:03 AM

R15, thanks, never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2018 11:21 AM

I much prefer eBay. Amazon was dead to me the moment they started charging sales tax in my state.

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2018 11:22 AM

That was hardly their choice. Besides, eBay can't touch Amazon's selection.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2018 11:25 AM

Well it was their choice to raise the price of Prime at the same exact time. DEAD TO ME

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2018 11:33 AM

[quote]eBay can't touch Amazon's selection.

Uhh...have you ever been on eBay?

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2018 11:34 AM

"...but the crap isn't Amazon's fault."

And that would be because Amazon has no control over how vendors use the Amazon technology? Obviously, not. Your post is stupid, R16. You're stupid.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2018 12:38 PM

Is OP just another poster who hates Amazon because Orange Hitler hates it?

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2018 4:12 PM

Amazon has such dirty little tricks lately. For example, if you want to top up your order to get free shipping and you only need a few dollars, you can't order certain things (like a pen refill). I am in Canada and I recently encountered a product that was only available for Prime members. I just use Amazon to compare prices lately and avoid it if I can. A friend of mine tried to order a rug that was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than another online site. When he put through the order, Amazon said item wasn't available, eventually we figured out that the shipping was likely the reason they refused the order. It was listed as free shipping but perhaps their algorithm told them that they would lose money if they sent the item. Amazon has gotten too big and they are doing what most companies do when they eliminate their competition...they increase prices and take advantage of their market share.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2018 4:25 PM

I wish that they would use someone else instead of UPS to deliver packages... I stopped buying from them because there was always a problem with delivering stuff I ordered online to my house! And I complained about it in a review of the product and Amazon deleted it because it wasn't about the quality of the product!!! A bunch of assholes!

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2018 4:26 PM

It's too ambitious, and Bezos seems to want to monopolize the world, and every business aspect. I do order a lot on there, but you have to be careful of the prices. I found, a few times, that the prices are much higher than other sites. I have to admit that it is convenient.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2018 4:37 PM

[quote]Amazon reading now has lots of books you can borrow for free.

So does the public library.

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2018 4:43 PM

Amazon doesn't have waiting lists or a limited number of copies you can borrow.

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2018 9:50 PM

What I can't figure out is Prime pantry. Why are the charging me 7.99 shipping for a box if I am already paying for Amazon prime. It seems like a rip off.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2018 1:03 PM

I prefer eBay. It’s dirtier than Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2018 1:09 PM

[quote]I wish that they would use someone else instead of UPS to deliver packages... I stopped buying from them because there was always a problem with delivering stuff I ordered online to my house! And I complained about it in a review of the product and Amazon deleted it because it wasn't about the quality of the product!!! A bunch of assholes!

I wish Amazon would use UPS to ship my packages. They use their own "service," and the employees sometimes just dump stuff at the front door without even letting me know it's here.

You shouldn't complain about delivery problems in the product review section. I'd delete it, too.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2018 1:12 PM

[quote]What I can't figure out is Prime pantry. Why are the charging me 7.99 shipping for a box if I am already paying for Amazon prime. It seems like a rip off.

At least you can get around that by ordering $40 of merch. What pisses me off is the monthly charge whether I order anything or not.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2018 1:13 PM

I started out with Prime to watch Bosch, but became addicted to its grocery delivery. I go through cases of tomatoes, beans, and water constantly and, as I don't drive, it is a lovely thing not to have to schlep these heavy things home from the store.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2018 1:15 PM

Unionize and I'll come back. It's why my kindle is in my computer parts bin and I'm stuck ordering from idiots who use packing peanuts.

Unionize. It would be revolutionary.

Trump would never unionize.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2018 1:40 PM

Amazon doesn't have anything good. All they have is cheap crap made in China. You have to go to other sites to get the good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2018 1:43 PM

Maybe the solution to the fucked up health care industry in the US is to turn the whole thing over to Amazon. We'd all be able to buy our insurance through Amazon, go to an Amazon doctor and check into an Amazon hospital. The enormous scale might bring prices down to reasonable levels and Bezos could get doctors and nurses to work for peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2018 1:43 PM

And be buried in a cardboard box with "Amazon" on the side.

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2018 1:46 PM

to be used as packing material for shiny new amazon driverless cars...

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2018 1:52 PM

R37, Amazon is working on that, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2018 3:01 PM

r37 that's what the federal government is supposed to be for - but they've been twisted by lobbyists and Republicans (and yes, some Democrats)

by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2018 3:27 PM

Accidentally clicked the free trial Amazon Prime button on a popup once recently (dammit!) and was resigned to get as much out of it as I could. Even after trying, with focused spite, for almost a month, I couldn't get much out of it, even the movies and TV shows on Amazon Video. Meh. Cancelled. Now things are changing at my Whole Foods and I wonder if it's due to Amazon company policy or if it's just coincidental. No more local newspaper/mags by the door. No more offering particular products. We'll see. I have other options. WF has been getting some real competition from the other grocery chains.

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2018 3:40 PM

For R37 -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2018 3:47 PM

I live in a rural area and we are 40 minutes from a shopping area. We are in our 60s and being able to shop online with Amazon and have it delivered saves us time, money, and lots of time on the road. I make full use of Prime. It is well worth the price. We get dog food delivered and many food items at very good prices. The echo device is very useful if you fully utilize it. We have Alexa throughout. If one of us needs help we can summon it from the Echo. We listen to Prime music and books through them or stream to our sound system. We no longer have to stumble around in the dark as we can turn on any lights by voice. It is what you make of it.

by Anonymousreply 44June 24, 2018 4:01 PM

I LOVE IT.

by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2018 4:14 PM

of course it became powerful. It charges a lot less than other places, and you get it really quick.

Nobody wants to pay more than they have to.

If you want to keep the three times more in price mom and pops open, go ahead.

by Anonymousreply 46June 24, 2018 4:17 PM

I found eBay to be overpriced with really redundant selection on a lot of things. It's like everybody was trying to be a drop-shipper for the same bunch of items.

by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2018 4:23 PM

You do have to be careful with Amazon, there are a lot of things that are absolute shit quality. They have no obligation to stock quality goods so if you are looking for a name brand and they have it for a good price, I'd say get it, otherwise don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 48June 24, 2018 4:26 PM

I use Amazon quite a bit and I have Amazon Prime. I only have two gripes... one is when they use the USPS instead of UPS or Fedex for package delivery and two is their search feature. The search isn't very helpful unless you're looking for a name brand or something that is very specific.

by Anonymousreply 49June 24, 2018 4:32 PM

Not necessarily R46. They are the same price as PetsMart's sale price of Blue Buffalo dog food, but for Blue Dog Bakery Walmart has the treats for $3.92, whereas Amazon has it for $12.11. You really do need to comparison shop.

by Anonymousreply 50June 24, 2018 4:34 PM

I hate how much time we now spend searching for the best deal online. Used to be you just went and bought something and never knew it was cheaper someplace else.

by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2018 5:18 PM

I don't bother searching. I just buy from Amazon and get it in a few days.

by Anonymousreply 52June 25, 2018 12:22 AM

I hate Amazon and have been trying to avoid it as much as possible. So far, I've made five orders this year, and that's only because a publisher only releases books on Amazon and it's the only place where I can preview and purchase certain genres (like Electroswing).

You guys realize that Amazon was never anything more than a front, right? The bookstore has never turned a profit. Amazon has always propped the store up with its side ventures, leeching off brick and mortars by getting them to fulfill the bulk of its orders and exploiting all of these other advantages.

by Anonymousreply 53June 25, 2018 12:34 AM

@R53 - and this is exactly why this former turtleneck-sweater-wearing nerd is now Bad Ass Billionaire Baller -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 25, 2018 12:46 AM

[quote] leeching off brick and mortars by getting them to fulfill the bulk of its orders

You're going to have to explain that one.

by Anonymousreply 55June 25, 2018 1:25 AM

an overrated shopping experience.

wf raised the prices 20-30% and diminished the selection

by Anonymousreply 56June 25, 2018 1:29 AM

I'm sick of this real life Dr. Evil's obsession with owning the world.

Also, I like this new definition: Luxurious= anything that's not on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 57June 25, 2018 1:37 AM

I can't blame the tormented workers, but the packaging is horrible. I recently ordered an area rug and a few CDs and DVDs. They threw them all in the same box with no packing material! Miraculously nothing was damaged, but I'm not always so lucky with Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 58June 25, 2018 1:46 AM

I went to a food trade show yesterday and many vendors said that Whole Foods/Amazon has become a disaster for them, because WF's new contracted vendor service is unresponsive and unhelpful. And that there are new companies scrambling to open health food stores to compete with them. They didn't have much nice to say about Sprouts either.

by Anonymousreply 59June 25, 2018 1:58 AM

[quote]leeching off brick and mortars by getting them to fulfill the bulk of its orders

Amazon encouraged bricks and mortars to sell through its Marketplace and as fulfillment partners to round out its inventory. With this arrangement, Amazon got to have its cake and eat it, too. It got to create the illusion of being the ultimate one stop shop for everything you could possibly want and a natural replacement for brick and mortars, when it was the brick and mortars who were supplying its inventory in the first place.

An analogy is if I ran a successful online toy store that presents itself as being a better alternative to brick and mortar toy stores, when all I'm doing is piggy backing off their inventory via drop shipping and getting to undercut them because I don't have the deal with the massive overhead that comes with running a physical store like they do.

by Anonymousreply 60June 25, 2018 3:13 AM

I tried to sign up as a seller on their individual (free, except for service charge) seller plan to sell some used textbooks. For whatever reason, they could never process my application, but would steer me to the professional seller area (which charges a fee). Fuck Amazon. I like my textbooks, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 61June 25, 2018 6:33 AM

Who isn't sick of Amazon?

I'm expecting two deliveries today, one via USPS, the other by Amazon Logistics. USPS is fine. They'll deliver to the office of my apartment building. Amazon Logistics, OTOH, may deliver directly to my apartment door. They may deliver to the office. Or they may just leave the package in front of the building.

I find it helpful to call Amazon Logistics the morning of any expected delivery to tell them the driver should deliver to my apartment door, and usually this works. But not always. And I should not have to call them every time I have a delivery. The drivers should follow the instructions, which are supposedly in their computers. Ach...the cost of free shipping.

by Anonymousreply 62June 25, 2018 2:52 PM

I hate them because they've turned Seattle into an overpriced, over-trafficked city. Bought my house for 430K six years ago, didn't do a thing to it, and now it's worth 1.6. Douchey tech-bros everywhere. Then Amazon burns them out in 18 months, and they take all the other jobs in the city.

But it's also like Bezos is Wesley Snipes in New Jack City. Creates a demand, then locks everyone down so they have to buy from him. Traffic is so damn bad, no one wants to go anywhere, so we order our food, and all our crap from Prime.

And yes, hunny, Alexa is listening to every damn thing you do when it's plugged in.

by Anonymousreply 63June 25, 2018 5:35 PM

Just an observation.

I had several items "saved for later". In the last couple of days most have sharply jumped in price, I suspect in preparation for the markdowns to come on Prime Day.

by Anonymousreply 64July 8, 2018 3:22 AM

[quote]I hate them because they've turned Seattle into an overpriced, over-trafficked city. Bought my house for 430K six years ago, didn't do a thing to it, and now it's worth 1.6.

That's a terrible problem to have. I'm so very sorry to hear this. If it makes you feel any better, it's only "worth" that until the bubble pops.

by Anonymousreply 65July 8, 2018 4:00 AM

r36 is too stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 66July 8, 2018 6:13 PM

r62 There's an option to let Amazon Logistics know where you want your product delivered once it's shipped.

by Anonymousreply 67July 8, 2018 6:14 PM

Okay - Amazon's gift wrap is tragic! I ordered a gift for a friend and checked the "gift wrap" box. It arrived in a homely-looking blue cloth bag with some sad polka dots and ...(best part) the tag card was a snowflake art pattern for Christmas. I'm actually laughing like crazy ....but c'mon Bezos....

by Anonymousreply 68July 10, 2018 1:31 AM

R36, Your comment is beyond ignorant. Basically Trumpian.

by Anonymousreply 69July 10, 2018 2:14 AM

I order from them as little as possible. I think Jeff Bezos is a greedy, power hungry bastard who won't be satisfied until his company has quite literally taken over the entire world. He is already the richest man in on Earth yet no matter what he has it is never enough. He wants every penny of every paycheck and pretty soon all of those paychecks will come from him because there won't be any jobs left besides Amazon affiliated ones.

by Anonymousreply 70July 10, 2018 2:14 AM

R63, What? You are incoherent. Amazon does not create any "demand." Moreover, who are these "techies" and what do they work on? Are you thinking of Microsoft or Google?

I can't believe the vituperation here over shopping convenience!

by Anonymousreply 71July 10, 2018 2:21 AM

R53, Before the advent of "original programming," Amazon was what it primarily still is: a fulfillment center. Hence all its warehouses.

You may have issues about HOW it fulfilled/fulfills orders, but ultimately it is the consumer who makes or breaks a "brick and mortar" store.

I appreciate Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 72July 10, 2018 2:29 AM

R30, You have the freedom not to buy from Amazon. Just an FYI.

by Anonymousreply 73July 10, 2018 2:32 AM

R48 = Captain Obvious. Someone should coin a phrase that might fit his insight.

by Anonymousreply 74July 10, 2018 2:35 AM

[quote] Is anyone else sick of Amazon?

Yes!!!

by Anonymousreply 75July 10, 2018 2:37 AM

R75, they're chopping down the rain forest to create grazing land for cattle. Blame McDonalds and meat-hungry Americans, not Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 76July 10, 2018 2:43 AM

I’ve maybe bought two or three items from them my whole life.

by Anonymousreply 77July 10, 2018 2:59 AM

I read all of those comments on this thread. So far not one of you has commented on their pricing policies. I have had items add $2 on a split second before I confirmed my order. Watch your pricing there guys. I also suspect that they tailor prices to the customer. If I purchase an $8 DVD, Then all DVDs cost $8 or higher. The reason I suspect this is that I shopped AMAZON on my new IPAD without logging in. After login, I noticed the prices were more expensive.

I also had an issue where I found an item $0 cheaper on Amazon marketplace than it was locally or on EBay. After I ordered it, the seller cancelled the order and said the item would not be stocked again. Amazon is not perfect and they will eventually charge us a lot more when there is no competition. You must also be careful with your shopping cart. I have had marketplace vendors tack hundreds of dollars onto items I left overnight in cart. I have wondered how many times that tactic has worked on unsuspecting consumers.

Amazon Prime is getting much better and Amazon original programming has gotten very good. They are giving Netflix a bit of stiff competition.

by Anonymousreply 78July 10, 2018 3:31 AM

[quote]Amazon Prime is getting much better

Umm, no...it's not. It's actually lost value.

by Anonymousreply 79July 10, 2018 4:09 AM

If Amazon gets too big or too problematic, some competitor will come along and do it better and cheaper. That's how capitalism is supposed to work.

by Anonymousreply 80July 10, 2018 4:17 AM

[quote] If Amazon gets too big or too problematic, some competitor will come along and do it better and cheaper.

We've been waiting for years for that to happen to Google, too....

by Anonymousreply 81July 10, 2018 4:19 AM

Goodness no, it's the one stop shopping place. I guess if you're poor you might be jealous, but not sick of.

by Anonymousreply 82July 10, 2018 5:13 AM

R82, that's my impression, too, of people who don't like Amazon. It's like not liking Apple -- it's an income issue, morphed into something that preserves self-esteem ("I have discriminating taste. I shop small.")

That said, if you don't have money, you can get Prime at a discount. Just Google it. They have Prime for people on food stamps, etc., and the fees are lower.

by Anonymousreply 83July 10, 2018 5:26 AM

R80 is right. Look at Walmart - they're kind of a mess now, because of Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 84July 10, 2018 5:26 AM

Amazon has about 5% of the retail market, and a lot less if you count food. Yeah, they're big online, but Wal-Mart and Target were late starters and are still getting their online operations up to speed. It's going to be a long time before Amazon really dominates retail, if ever.

by Anonymousreply 85July 10, 2018 5:36 AM

R85 is right. There's nothing to fear.

by Anonymousreply 86July 10, 2018 5:37 AM

Amazon's stuff is boring and cheapo. All made in China and flimsy.

by Anonymousreply 87July 10, 2018 5:41 AM

R71 - There's this thing called the cloud. Amazon just might be a wee bit involved. Ever heard of AWS? I'll help you out.

And Alexa . . . Reading much about artificial intellegence these days?

Now you have an idea of it's impact on Seattle and the resultant mass of techies clogging the street of downtown Seattle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 10, 2018 5:53 AM

Just go with it.

by Anonymousreply 89July 10, 2018 6:31 AM

R79, What do you mean, Amazon Prime has "lost value"? It's a service, a perk if you will; take it or leave it. Its value is in the eye of the consumer. Prime (as well as the Amazon Card) is worth its cost to me.

R76, r75 was making a wry joke about THE Amazon.

R88, Points taken. But pray tell, what careers OUGHT the good folks of Seattle have, Dr. Crane? I'm listening.

You're right, r87. Especially the books!

by Anonymousreply 90July 10, 2018 8:28 AM

If you have one of those electronic assistants they know everything about you including how often you take a poop and what comes out.

by Anonymousreply 91July 10, 2018 9:38 AM

I hate their "add on items" policy. It's not "cost effective" to ship such a cheap item unless you spend $25 or over? Well, if the customer is willing to pay then I don't see what difference it makes.

by Anonymousreply 92July 10, 2018 11:08 AM

[quote] [R76], [R75] was making a wry joke about THE Amazon.

I can't believe I didn't catch that. I spend so much time arguing with actual dunderheads online that I sometimes I fall victim to Poe's Law.

I blame Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 93July 10, 2018 11:19 AM

[quote] It's like not liking Apple -- it's an income issue

Gurl, please. I personally have the money to buy Apple products (and even own a couple), but I still hate the company because of the insulting prices they charge. If you know ANYTHING about the cost of electronics (or individual computer components) you know that Apple's prices are downright insulting to your intelligence. Back when I was building my Macbook Pro, Apple wanted A THOUSAND DOLLARS to upgrade to a 1TB SSD. Absolutely fucking ludicrous. I instead bought a 2TB Samsung SSD (twice the size--and a size Apple didn't even offer!) for $440 and put it in my damn self. Same went for the 16GB of RAM I bought for $80 and installed myself. If I'd have gotten that upgrade through Apple at the time, it would've been a $300+ upgrade. Again, ludicrous. And even more ludicrous when you consider the fact that Apple buys their components in massive bulk and therefore gets much lower prices than I did paying retail, and yet I STILL came out miles ahead because I actually have a fucking brain. Apple literally takes advantage of people's ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 94July 10, 2018 11:46 AM

[quote]Goodness no, it's the one stop shopping place. I guess if you're poor you might be jealous, but not sick of.

Holy fuck, this is why we have trump

by Anonymousreply 95July 10, 2018 11:51 AM

Yup. Sick of them. But then I’m sick of all the giants. They are fucking up the world. Besides, the sheer greed is now totally off-putting.

I’m trying to phase out using Amazon and am getting there but the kindle is going to be a hard one. I read a lot, don’t have room for any more books on shelves and I also like how I can regularly come across a new author ( scifi mostly ) and try something very cheaply.

Will never use Alexa if I can help it. People are idiots allowing that into their homes.

by Anonymousreply 96July 10, 2018 12:20 PM

[QUOTE]I’m trying to phase out using Amazon and am getting there but the kindle is going to be a hard one. I read a lot, don’t have room for any more books on shelves and I also like how I can regularly come across a new author ( scifi mostly ) and try something very cheaply.

You can't get completely away if you use Kindle, but you could take books out of your library instead of buying them at amazon.com.

by Anonymousreply 97July 10, 2018 12:26 PM

I love watching Amazon get all of the scorn that was once aimed at Walmart. I knew the day would come, and here we are.

by Anonymousreply 98July 10, 2018 12:40 PM

R97 - some of the ones I have read and enjoyed have been ( surprisingly ) the self published on kindle ones. However, we have a good library here ( for the moment, I’m in the UK and ‘austerity’ is seeing them closed down everywhere ) and I should be supporting it. So I’ll go and join.

The kindle is also really useful when I travel abroad. But, hell, Brexit will probably screw that up some and I also most likely have enough on it to last me a good while without putting any more money in Bezos’ coffers.

Library it is.

by Anonymousreply 99July 10, 2018 1:19 PM

Yeah, R4, or you could just get off your lazy, tech infatuated ass and drive the 9 minutes to that little store that specializes in products for wild bird lovers, and buy it from someone who's been struggling to keep afloat since everyone joined the cult of Bezos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 10, 2018 1:51 PM

Another Far Right Troll ? Obviously. Hey. Go to Walmart. They're competing with Amazon. All over TV with their "no membership fees" bullshit. You seem like a Walmart quality guy, OP

by Anonymousreply 101July 10, 2018 2:06 PM

R100, I like the bird store, which is an hour, round trip (not nine minutes), but they don't sell the 4oz size.

The feeder company, ("Aspects", made in USA) doesn't sell directly from their site, and instead directs people to buy from local bird stores.

Most ideally, I would be to plant native wildflowers that would sustain the hummingbird without buying any feeders at all, but it go too hot too quickly this summer and there's not enough nectar to go around now that the hummingbirds have migrated here. Things are drying up.

by Anonymousreply 102July 10, 2018 2:22 PM

r87 is too stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 103July 10, 2018 4:57 PM

It actually is all made in China. They're out-Walmarting Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 104July 10, 2018 5:06 PM

r104 Another idiot. Amazon sells the same merchandise that every other retailer sells. Obviously a lot of it is made in China, but that's certainly not unique to Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 105July 10, 2018 5:27 PM

Wait, wait, wait, so you're telling me that the 'Made in America' campaign Wal-mart ran for YEARS was all a big fat lie?

by Anonymousreply 106July 10, 2018 7:01 PM

If it's on Amazon, you don't need it.

by Anonymousreply 107July 11, 2018 6:01 AM

Speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 108July 11, 2018 6:02 AM

[quote][R104] Another idiot. Amazon sells the same merchandise that every other retailer sells. Obviously a lot of it is made in China, but that's certainly not unique to Amazon.

Hurr durr:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 11, 2018 12:03 PM

More on Amazon and its Chinese counterfeiters problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 11, 2018 12:04 PM

Amazon.com: The Place Where American Dreams Are Stolen By Chinese Counterfeiters

What does the Amazon shill have to say now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111July 11, 2018 12:05 PM

Well, I know someone who got into the Amazon distribution chain and it saved their small online, retail business. That's all I'm going to say. Amazon connects people with websites and and merchants to get good deals, but it also increases traffic and profitability for smaller businesses. Besides, whenever Donald Trump attacks something I immediately gravitate towards it. I support Amazon. Period. The fact is people's buying habits have changed and Trump's retail/commercial space has taken a huge hit from it. Good. H's not able to peddle his Chinese manufactured merchandise as easily, and the high end retailers he needs to attract to lease space in his buildings is bailing out on him. Good.

by Anonymousreply 112July 11, 2018 12:38 PM

[quote] I wish that they would use someone else instead of UPS to deliver packages... I stopped buying from them because there was always a problem with delivering stuff I ordered online to my house!

Hmm. They seldom use any service that isn't their own delivery service here. Haven't seen a UPS or USPS package in over a year.

Their delivery service is shitty and leaves packages in the middle of the road. I just have things sent to the nearest Amazon Locker.

by Anonymousreply 113July 11, 2018 12:44 PM

Jeff Bezos always looks like he's on LSD.

by Anonymousreply 114July 11, 2018 1:15 PM

Anything that Amazon sells is useless. It's like going to a swap meet where people are just trying to unload junk. You should go to a web site that has what you need instead.

by Anonymousreply 115July 11, 2018 1:17 PM

R115 makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 116July 11, 2018 1:20 PM

R111 he'll call you an idiot and refute your claim via a straw man argument.

by Anonymousreply 117July 11, 2018 1:21 PM

I’ve stopped using Amazon as much because one, I don’t have prime and two, I’m sick of the return process. Printing a label, buying a mailer, going to UPS drop off. How do people return extra large items to Amazon?

by Anonymousreply 118July 11, 2018 1:31 PM

[quote]How do people return extra large items to Amazon?

Every single time I've had to return something, the problem was evident immediately, so I was able to use the container it was shipped in. How long are you waiting to send things back?

by Anonymousreply 119July 11, 2018 1:36 PM

The last time I tried to return something Amazon refunded my money and told me to keep it. Also, Trump's hatred is more than enough reason to love Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 120July 11, 2018 1:44 PM

I've always been under the impression that they will use the USPS or UPS depending on the better deal and what they're shipping. If you order a large piece of furniture I don't think the Post Office offers the best rrate.

by Anonymousreply 121July 11, 2018 1:53 PM

I use Prime for convenience to quickly purchase and deliver supplies for my elderly relatives so they don't have to get in the car and go shopping, especially in the extreme heat.

However, they do not always have the best price and product descriptions don't always include complete info like ingredients and dimensions. And reviews can't be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 122July 11, 2018 2:00 PM

r118 In some parts of the country, you can return Amazon stuff to Kohl's. And you don't even need to box it or re-package it. It's free, AND they give you a coupon to use at Kohl's to boot.

by Anonymousreply 123July 11, 2018 4:14 PM

Ugh, Kohl's and coupons.

If you are going to go to a store why not just buy the shit there in the first place.

I like ordering online because I don't have to speak to anyone and the most annoying part is getting rid of the boxes afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 124July 11, 2018 6:50 PM

r124 Do you really think Kohl's carries everything that Amazon does? Or ANY store, for that matter?

by Anonymousreply 125July 11, 2018 7:32 PM

I'm wondering if r115 is ignorant, which suggests having the capability to learn; or simply and immutably mentally deficient.

by Anonymousreply 126July 11, 2018 7:47 PM

Definitely white privilege to say you're sick of the Amazon but what not the Hudson or of course the RHINE, mein fuhrer?

by Anonymousreply 127July 11, 2018 7:50 PM

r127 is in-Seine.

by Anonymousreply 128July 11, 2018 8:49 PM

I can't Moscow upset I am by that statement, mean r128!

by Anonymousreply 129July 11, 2018 8:50 PM

And now for something completely different--thanx to ya'll, I was eagerly anticipating my delivery of Duke's® mayo this past Sunday via USPS; it arrived, but I was shocked and horrified to see it packed and delivered from Walmart.com! (I ordered on Prime) The previous day I received a shipment of items via OnTrac--the box was destroyed, one item missing. I was refunded the complete transaction immediately to my AMEX. We just returned from a road trip from SoCal to Reno via 395 & saw those beat-up OnTrac vans roaming around way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere!

I love my Firestick gen 2 (with the exception of adding the LAN connector that should have been built in) because the Berlin Philharmoniker's app is so rock-steady and far superior to the previous app via SONY blu-ray machines. With my Vizio large display & SONY amp, it truly is like being in the hall live. I also side loaded KODI to the Firestick--it's also rock-steady & adds a whole new universe of choices. I like original programming like The Man in the High Castle--innovative, thought-provoking, fresh.

In my experience, USPS usually damages the least; I like Sunday deliveries--I fell in love with my UPS driver & he used to bring large, heavy things inside the house, but he's been replaced by rotating drivers that just throw on the front porch without knocking. Remember, these union drivers can easily clear $100K per year . . . my old driver was definitely worth that, & more :). Then there's OnTrac--omg where to begin--with the beat-up vans, the disheveled drivers, or the mangled packages? I don't understand OnTrac at all.

Most items from Amazon for me are competitively priced, especially adding in travel, (SoCal traffic has become almost Cairo-like!) vehicle maintenance/insurance/fuel, and time wasted looking for parking, then wandering around a brick & mortar to select & check out--home grown or not. That's what the Prius/green set conveniently always forgets--every time I turn the ignition, whether in the car or my diesel truck it's additional pollution & traffic.

For those that have a hard-on for Bezos (I'm at the point in life where I don't give a rat's ass pro or con about him--Amazon, at the moment works for me) drop Amazon, the Washington Post, etc., but you'll not escape their cloud services--AWS now has included CIA, et al. in contracts . . .

In dollar terms, I've probably spent more on Ebay, (I ordered my truck there) so it's a good alternative cost-wise & there are niche products one can find. I did just order cat food from Chewy cheaper/free shipping included, than local suppliers/Amazon, so there's that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 11, 2018 9:38 PM

Say it with me now: GET A BLOG!!!

by Anonymousreply 131July 11, 2018 9:50 PM

[quote] Is anyone else sick of Amazon?

May I suggest Mr. Ray's Wig World?

by Anonymousreply 132July 12, 2018 2:04 PM

R71, why on earth are you asking what R63 is talking about with the Amazon techies? Amazon is a global ecommerce company. Of course there are techies everywhere there. Good god. Do you think someone sits at a computer and gets an order and Marge in Fulfillment plugs into a television and sends a movie to your tv?

by Anonymousreply 133July 15, 2018 5:26 PM

I went on my tour of an Amazon Fulfillment Center on Friday. It was really fascinating. The center I went to doesn't handle larger items (like TV sets) but they have just about everything else. Unfortunately, it wasn't one that uses robotics, so we didn't get to see that. But we did get to learn about (and see) how things come in to the warehouse, get placed in locations (pretty much randomly, not grouped together with similar items), picked, organized, boxed and shipped. I would definitely recommend it if there's such a tour available in your area.

by Anonymousreply 134July 15, 2018 6:17 PM

Does anyone else find Prime day to be a major letdown every year? They never discount anything I actually want.

by Anonymousreply 135July 15, 2018 7:41 PM

R134. I thought that random placement of stock was really weird, but apparently, they've proven it cuts down on search time.

by Anonymousreply 136July 15, 2018 9:01 PM

True R135. I have never bought anything on prime day, and I do not order enough from Amazon that often to justify paying for prime which apparently went up to $119. See link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 28, 2018 9:40 PM

R130 I have lots of family in southern California, but visiting them is fine, as I would not want to live there. Man in the high castle is not original, I read the Philip K. Dick novel it was based on decades ago. I don't order that often on Amazon since I have found ebay to be less expensive. I have friends in London UK who order groceries from Amazon as it is less expensive, and they do not have to leave their flat or travel far. A friend of mine who lives in the rural east coast does the same.

by Anonymousreply 138July 28, 2018 9:48 PM

Yesterday I did my first Amazon locker pick-up at Whole Foods. It was surprisingly easy, and of course I got a snack while I was there, which is part of the strategy.

II couldn’t get a light that I wanted from there. It was larger than the lockers and was also from a third-party seller.

I do feel guilty using Amazon because of their shit treatment of warehouse workers.

Maybe the robots will be the ones to organize into a collective. With their hi e mind they can locate Bezos, infiltrate his inner circle, and then force a change. Or kill him.

by Anonymousreply 139July 29, 2018 1:58 AM

[quote] Maybe the robots will be the ones to organize into a collective.

Now isn't that a thought. The future foretold in "Dune" accidentally initiated by the greed and inhumanity of Jeff Bezos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 29, 2018 4:05 AM

They gave me Prime even though I didn’t ask for it.

by Anonymousreply 141July 29, 2018 4:07 AM

i have no use for amazon. whole foods raised their prices and reduced the selection of products (so i have less of a reason to shop there) but jeff bezos owns wapo.com which is doing an excellent job of reporting on the pustule in thief in the white house.

by Anonymousreply 142July 30, 2018 2:57 AM

Just be sure to use Fakespot and ReviewMeta because a lot of times Amazon's own reviews can't be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 143July 30, 2018 10:08 AM

Just be sure to use Fakespot and ReviewMeta because a lot of times Amazon's own reviews can't be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 144July 30, 2018 10:09 AM

R140 you mean AI will eventually be banned?

by Anonymousreply 145July 30, 2018 10:11 AM

R141 Are you paying for it?

by Anonymousreply 146July 30, 2018 10:56 AM

I LOVE AMAZON! Especially Prime. Its not just 2 day shipping, there are so many other services that come with prime. Like Prime Video which has a million free movies in the cloud. Better than Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 147July 30, 2018 11:01 AM

Orange Hitler hates Amazon so you can tell he sent all his minions here to complain about the worlds most successful retailer on the net.

No matter how much I look for a better deal elsewhere, Amazon always beats it once you factor in shipping. Plus I know that no matter what, returns are easy and have been always accepted.

by Anonymousreply 148July 30, 2018 11:06 AM

I'm pissed now that some items I used to order are now marked "Amazon Pantry" and they charge an extra shipping fee.

I think this is just a way for them to exclude items from Prime Shipping without saying they're doing so. I mean, who buys a 16oz bottle of Gun Oil lubricant for their pantry?

R148 not quite. I despise Trump and also Bezos. And I know Trump's hatred of Amazon comes solely from the WP's less-than-flattering coverage.

Although even the Washington Post kind of sucks now because they started enforcing subscriptions. Now you can't read more than four articles a month or something so I just stopped going there at all. I'd expect their viewer numbers are down. They have better tracking software than the NYTimes so it a really prevents me from reading extra articles without opening private windows etc. and even then.

by Anonymousreply 149July 30, 2018 11:10 AM

[quote]I LOVE AMAZON! Especially Prime. Its not just 2 day shipping, there are so many other services that come with prime. Like Prime Video which has a million free movies in the cloud. Better than Netflix.

LOLOL, Hi Steve!

by Anonymousreply 150July 30, 2018 11:48 AM

[quote]I'm pissed now that some items I used to order are now marked "Amazon Pantry" and they charge an extra shipping fee.

Same goes for small items that used to be available for Prime shipping, but are now considered "Add-on" items which will only ship once your order hits $25 or $35 (who knows, they change the threshold every week it seems). Eroding value while jacking up the price of Prime. No thanks!

by Anonymousreply 151July 30, 2018 11:51 AM

R130’s comment reads like a product placement shill. Very odd.

My Whole Foods has gone to shit. They advertised a skirt steak on sale for $7.99, which actually got me really excited, but they didn’t ever have it in the store. Their shelves are often half-stocked. About a month ago, I needed vanilla extract. Preferred to buy the WF brand because it’s cheaper and good. They didn’t have any, not even the more expensive organic stuff. Of course I bought it elsewhere, but I still look, for curiosity’s sake, and they still don’t have a single bottle of vanilla extract in stock.

They’ve added an a la carte pasta bar, through, where you can buy a single ravioli (raviole? Raviola?)

I don’t know. They don’t have things I’d expect them to have.

by Anonymousreply 152July 30, 2018 11:54 AM

[quote]Although even the Washington Post kind of sucks now because they started enforcing subscriptions.

R149, if you have Prime and are a first time subscriber you can get 6 months free of WAPO, just unsubscribe before those 6 months are up. I subscribed in May and have until November to decide. I will keep WAPO of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 30, 2018 12:01 PM

I love Amazon. Nothing else come close to its convenience and how much easier it makes my life.

Prime is great for the shipping, movies, Whole Foods discounts, etc

by Anonymousreply 154July 30, 2018 12:02 PM

Just like Datalounge to say that anyone who doesn't like Amazon must be a Trumpster.

I've had too many defective items from Amazon to make them my first choice anymore. Things that were damaged before they were put in the box, or items that never should have passed QC. Just bought some glasses where the lips had sharp chunks sticking up out of them. Returned them and bought some at Crate&Barrel during a half price sale. Cost $8 more but I doubt they'll send junk like Amazon did.

The only other place I've ordered from that consistently sends damaged or bad product is Bed Bath & Beyond. Tried them twice and never again. I'd avoid Amazon completely if I could, too.

by Anonymousreply 155July 30, 2018 12:07 PM

Oh, and I forgot that I bought USB charging cords from my phone which were terrible -- all the 5 star reviews saying they were the fastest ever were just wrong. Tried to leave my own review about how bad they were and Amazon wouldn't publish it. They said it was because I never actually bought them. Giving them the order number didn't help.

Sketchy sketchy.

by Anonymousreply 156July 30, 2018 12:10 PM

[quote] Just like Datalounge to say that anyone who doesn't like Amazon must be a Trumpster.

You have to be willfully blind not to see the connection. The deplorables have been shitting on Amazon ever since Orange Twittler started bitching about Bezos, and we get a lot of right-wing bullshit posted here. But, some people just don't like Amazon for whatever reason. That's why I phrased my comment as a question rather than an accusation.

by Anonymousreply 157July 30, 2018 12:23 PM

There was another thread on Amazon not long ago that had a lot of people insisting that anyone who hated it was pro Trump. It's a common accusation, not just on DL.

by Anonymousreply 158July 30, 2018 12:25 PM

I actually do think a lot of the Amazon hatred is just Trumpette assholes spewing their bilge wherever they can. Some people are curmudgeons who hate whatever's popular, and some people honestly don't like Amazon for non-bullshit reasons.

by Anonymousreply 159July 30, 2018 12:32 PM

I love Amazon and I support Amazon. Fuck the Orange Turd. Wanna know how much I love Amazon? I buy shit from them. I'm a Prime member. I rent movies and I now shop at Whole Foods more. I also have a digital subscription to the Washington Post. LOLOLOLOL! One thing I do know. I've discovered a lot of new vendors and merchants since I started using Prime ten years ago. I have seen first hand that Amazon supports a lot of independent online shopping outlets . There have been several I now go to directly. And when you're buying books (yes. I read.) you can often get a good deal from a third part vendor and that helps support independent booksellers. A lot of people will try, but you cannot blame Amazon for being in the right place at the right time, as people's shopping habits change because of technology and the internet.

by Anonymousreply 160July 30, 2018 12:33 PM

Yes dear, I know Trump hates Bezos. But Amazon is not the be-all end-all of online shopping, they treat employees terribly, they sell inferior products, their reviews are often fake, they aren't that cheap when you factor in mandatory Prime costs and Prime Pantry extra shipping, and I don't personally like to limit myself to one store.

Besides, it's simplistic nonsense to say that you'll shop at Amazon just to stick it to Trump. It won't make a bit of difference on any level.

by Anonymousreply 161July 30, 2018 1:33 PM

[quote]I'm pissed now that some items I used to order are now marked "Amazon Pantry" and they charge an extra shipping fee.

Is "Amazon Pantry" something separate from "Prime Pantry"? I'm a member of Prime, and if I want something that's marked Prime Pantry, I have to assemble a $40 order or pay $7.99 for shipping. Is "Amazon Pantry" simply the non-Prime version of that, for non-Prime members?

by Anonymousreply 162July 30, 2018 1:56 PM

If you pay upfront for a year a Washington Post digital subscription is $100. That doesn't seem unreasonable or something to complain about. If you really can't afford $100 a year I suggest using your public library. Offering unlimited online content is a recipe for bankruptcy.

by Anonymousreply 163July 30, 2018 2:05 PM

Well, there are a lot of things I don't order online. Mostly groceries or things I need immediately. I was recovering from surgery a few months ago and happily discovered my local grocery store has the capability to order groceries online and have them delivered to your door with a 2-4 hour window. WTF would you order groceries from Amazon when you can do that? And I don't care if it's Whole Foods. I just prefer the store that's two miles from my house. I go to Costco every once in a while, and I go to Home Depot for cleaning products , lightbulbs and paper towels. Now if there is some exotic Tea I like and I can't find it in my local stores I will get it from Amazon.

I have ordered a desk, and a coffee table and a couple other items of furniture from them, but I comparison shopped Wayfair and other sites first, then checked Amazon to see if they sold the same brand. Got good deals from them, and the quality was excellent. I think when you shop online you need to use common sense. I would never shop at Walmart. But Amazon is fine. This discussion is really too subjective. For those of us who are comfortable with Amazon you're not changing my mind by haranguing me. I'm fine. Go play in traffic.

by Anonymousreply 164July 30, 2018 2:09 PM

My local grocery does not deliver, nor does my local Whole Foods. So I buy cases of things like canned tomatoes, beans, and sometimes bottled water on Amazon. I like having these things on hand at all times, as I do not drive, and don't always feel like lugging home heavy things.

by Anonymousreply 165July 30, 2018 2:18 PM

R144, I use Fakespot, was not aware of ReviewMeta, however both sites don't seem to work well for books:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 30, 2018 2:45 PM

R164 - just out of curiosity what do you see as the difference between Walmart and Amazon?

by Anonymousreply 167July 30, 2018 3:06 PM

R162 is the perfect example of how Amazon has successfully managed to make shopping on their site confusing as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 168July 30, 2018 3:44 PM

I've always avoided Amazon, but thought what the fuck and gave them a go, placed my first order a few days ago. It will also be my LAST order, as Amazon summarily deleted the coupon savings that they gave me on the original order. It took me 10 minutes and WikiHow to discover how to contact Amazon about their charging me the wrong price. Luckily I still have the original invoice, as Amazon deleted it.

I've ordered online from several companies in England; easy to order, simple and straightforward problem solving, outstanding customer service and excellent packing and shipping. Amazon is a nightmare in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 169July 30, 2018 4:04 PM

I had a nightmare Amazon experience just this morning as a matter of fact! I was in bed watching TV when I suddenly got an email saying "Welcome to audible.com!" (Huh? I never joined audible.com) Then an email confirmation for an Amazon digital book. Then another. So I quickly logged onto Amazon and changed my password, thinking that would stop whatever the hell was going on. But no...as I dicked around with their online chat trying to get to the bottom of it, a total of TEN more order confirmations totaling over $400 rolled into my inbox. Amazon chat kept transferring me to audible, then audible would transfer me back to Amazon. As I was on hold being transferred to and fro, I ripped all of my payment methods from my Amazon account hoping that would stop more fraudulent orders from being placed. I was ultimately transferred a total of five times (all "helpers" were foreign) before I got any actual help. And every one of those five transfers required me to give them my name, email address, billing address and some stupid fucking code they texted to my phone.

Finally we figured out what the issue was. Months ago I'd purchased a Kindle that I never ended up using so I sold it on eBay. It was still sealed in its box and everything--I'd never done anything with it whatsoever. Well apparently Amazon automatically links any and all Kindle/Fire tablets to the account they're purchased under!? Whoever thought that was a good idea should be shot in the head. I was never told this at the time of purchase, and therefore had no idea. So whoever bought my Kindle on eBay went on a massive shopping spree this morning charging a total of 13 e-books to various credit cards linked to my Amazon account. Amazon did eventually refund me for them, but it took well over an hour and I still cannot believe they linked that fucking Kindle to my account and didn't require a password or 2-step verification code (text) in order for that person to rack up those charges.

by Anonymousreply 170July 30, 2018 4:29 PM

Amazon Customer Service:

1-888-280-4331

1-866-321-8851 Kindle

by Anonymousreply 171July 30, 2018 4:37 PM

There are too many Amazon shills posting here.

Amazon is NOT cheaper than a local Walmart or even regional grocers. And adding shipping charges just makes it more expensive.

I just checked cans of Hormel No Beans chili in a 15oz. can. At the store, they're $1.89 - $2/can. On Amazon, they're sold as a 6-pack and the LOWEST price was $21.60 or $3.60/can for the same exact 15oz. cans.

How is $1.89 more expensive than $3.60?

by Anonymousreply 172July 30, 2018 4:41 PM

I cancelled Prime as you get free shipping on orders over $25 anyway. I also got rid of my Amazon Echo devices and replaced them with HomePods. The HomePods have much better sound, control my lights, play music and podcasts, and also have much better privacy protection. Amazon has no regard for privacy.

So yeah, I'm sick of Amazon. I still buy stuff from them, but I use them as a vendor of last resort. Beezos is the new Bill Gates, a greedy douchebag who has way too much money and market power.

by Anonymousreply 173July 30, 2018 4:41 PM

Another example of Amazon's "LOW PRICES".

Welch's grape juice, 96oz. bottle. Walmart, $4.99. Amazon sells it as a 2-pack for almost $22.

How is $5/bottle MORE expensive than $11/bottle?

by Anonymousreply 174July 30, 2018 4:46 PM

Hurr-durr....Wal*Mart for deplorable and baaad...Amazon goooood cuz not Wal*Mart. And me get discount at Whole Foods! You a poor if you sick of Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 175July 30, 2018 4:55 PM

I comparison shop all the time R174. A lot of what I buy is cheaper on Amazon. At my local sprouts a bottle of lotion I like is $19 plus change. On Amazon it is $11 plus change. Also, Amazon carries a lot of things I can't get locally.

by Anonymousreply 176July 30, 2018 4:55 PM

Just so you know, the people claiming that people who hate Amazon must be Trumpsters/Deplorables are Amazon shills. I guess this is the best they've got, since there's no defending a shitty company that treats its employees like crap and has allowed tens of thousands of third party sellers to swamp the site with fake merchandise or not disclose that they're shipping all the way from China.

by Anonymousreply 177July 30, 2018 4:55 PM

Lol that only "far right tolls" hate Amazon. Jeff Bezos represents EVERYTHING that is wrong with liberals & why the democrats stay losing. Workers in diapers and unable to take bathroom breaks - check (while Bezos just built a house with 25 bathrooms). Poor pay & unpaid overtime- check. Anyone who shops at Amazon and considers themselves a progressive is delusional. There's very little daylight between Wal-Mart and Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 178July 30, 2018 4:58 PM

^ Bezos is not a liberal/progressive, you dum-dum.

by Anonymousreply 179July 30, 2018 5:04 PM

He's considers himself a liberal & is one of HRC's closest friends. He's obviously not a progressive& I did not say that. HRC sucks too though. Sanders FTW>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 30, 2018 5:13 PM

Yeah, he's far from a liberal/progressive. He's the Republican ideal. Former Wall Street guy.

by Anonymousreply 181July 30, 2018 5:13 PM

Liking Amazon doesn't make you a shill.

by Anonymousreply 182July 30, 2018 5:16 PM

Yes, it does

by Anonymousreply 183July 30, 2018 5:17 PM

R173 how does Amazon have no regard for privacy and Homepods are so much better? Any recording device is a risk.

by Anonymousreply 184July 30, 2018 5:20 PM

Bullshit, R183.

by Anonymousreply 185July 30, 2018 5:21 PM

R170 that's pretty appalling actually. I vaguely remember my Kindle arriving and that auto setup happening and being surprised. I didn't even think about it being given to someone else like that.

by Anonymousreply 186July 30, 2018 5:25 PM

Really, r185? Yet in this very thread, you've accused Amazon detractors of being haters solely because our Cheeto Hitler decreed it should be so. Calling bullshit on YOU, shill!

by Anonymousreply 187July 30, 2018 5:28 PM

R187 calling them shills for calling you a Trumper is kind of the same thing, just reversed.

by Anonymousreply 188July 30, 2018 5:30 PM

Nah, r188. He's all over this thread defending AMZN, the thoughtful progressive's alternative to Wal*Mart.

by Anonymousreply 189July 30, 2018 5:32 PM

Again, bullshit, R187. You need to learn to rucking read, you moron.

[quote] I actually do think a lot of the Amazon hatred is just Trumpette assholes spewing their bilge wherever they can. Some people are curmudgeons who hate whatever's popular, and some people honestly don't like Amazon for non-bullshit reasons.

Let me point it out for you, given that you're obviously brain dead.

"SOME PEOPLE HONESTLY DON'T LIKE AMAZON FOR NON-BULLSHIT REASONS."

by Anonymousreply 190July 30, 2018 5:35 PM

It's annoying now every time you go to check out you are asked if you are a prime member. I don't blame the employees as I'm sure they are being forced to ask every customer they ring up.

by Anonymousreply 191July 30, 2018 5:38 PM

Umm, how can you like a company that treats it workers horribly (same as Wal-Mart) with a sociopath for CEO? Fuck the elitists denigrating poor folks for shopping at Wal-Mart whilst they do THE EXACT same thing with Amazon. Only they're more idiotic for buying incredibly overpriced food at Whole Foods. Grab a clue suckas.

by Anonymousreply 192July 30, 2018 5:55 PM

I've worked a lot harder for a lot less than what they get paid at Amazon. No one gave a shit about my working conditions. Also, I shop at Wal-Mart all the time. I don't know why the fuck anyone would think they're better than Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 193July 30, 2018 5:57 PM

The Amazon shill will keep bleating about all of us being sheep while ignoring stuff like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194July 30, 2018 6:09 PM

Triggered much, r190? You may not recall, Missy Early-Onset "Alltimers", but you did launch that preemptive strike on OP with your Trump foolishness. Or maybe I just needs my 'specs' adjusted, mate, innit?

[quote] Is OP just another poster who hates Amazon because Orange Hitler hates it?

by Anonymousreply 195July 30, 2018 6:13 PM

Amazon is just a front of Chienese piracy now. Can't wait for it to collapse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 30, 2018 6:17 PM

[quote]incredibly overpriced food at Whole Foods

It has a couple of loss leaders. Their version of San Pellegrino is $5.94 for a 6-pack of 33,8 oz bottles. That would cost $10.31 for San Pellegrino.

Their price on St. Andre is cheaper than anywhere else in town, $11/lb. v. $14/lb.

by Anonymousreply 197July 30, 2018 6:50 PM

That's very true R143. That's why I look at lower ratings first, and read the reviews that are not from Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 198July 30, 2018 9:37 PM

r152

thats what i mean, products i have always able to pick up at whole foods are no longer readily available and when the products are available, the price is higher.

the quality has slipped too.i had to return a bakery item ive purchased many times previously without an issue because the item was rancid.

with the amazon money i expected wf to become an even better shopping experience not an inferior one.

by Anonymousreply 199July 31, 2018 1:01 AM

For being the so called industry leader, their search function sucks donkey balls.

by Anonymousreply 200July 31, 2018 1:03 AM

Does anyone work at Whole Foods who knows what they're doing in the background?

by Anonymousreply 201July 31, 2018 1:04 AM

Their search function prioritizes Prime and more expensive options.

by Anonymousreply 202July 31, 2018 6:00 AM

"I comparison shop all the time [R174]. A lot of what I buy is cheaper on Amazon. At my local sprouts, a bottle of lotion I like is $19 plus change. On Amazon, it is $11 plus change. Also, Amazon carries a lot of things I can't get locally."

Maybe I should have elaborated on my point, but I feel it was made.

Yes, there are many things available on Amazon that you can't find in Walmart or local grocery chains. Some of these items may be less expensive.

But you can't keep pointing out items that are not available elsewhere, or in limited locations, to comparison shop. The examples I gave are nation-wide major corporate brands that are available pretty much anywhere in the US.

Just checked another example of Amazon's "LOW PRICES". Ben & Jerry's ice cream pints (16oz.).:

Local grocery, at full, non-sale price, which is rare as it's usually on sale: $4.99/pint. Amazon sells it only as a 4-pack: $44.24, or $11.06 per PINT.

How is $11 for a pint of B&J's ice cream a better deal than $4.99 per pint for the same exact thing?

by Anonymousreply 203July 31, 2018 10:17 AM

Who's going to buy ice cream from Amazon, regardless of the price?

by Anonymousreply 204July 31, 2018 10:37 AM

Love the people acting like Apple has better privacy and treats it's employees better. Didn't they have suicide nets and use child labor?

by Anonymousreply 205July 31, 2018 11:52 AM

You obviously didn't read my comment R203. My local Sprouts charges $19 plus change for a lotion I use whereas Amazon charges $11.89. I can get the 12 oz bottle from Whole Foods, but it is $11.99 as opposed to $11.89 for a 32 oz bottle at Amazon. I can order it online from Walmart or Target, but it is still more expensive than Amazon. Avalon Organics is not some obscure product.

by Anonymousreply 206July 31, 2018 1:49 PM

Yes, R205. But does Amazon provide nets?

I think not!

by Anonymousreply 207July 31, 2018 1:59 PM

The Whole Foods integration has been great. The app is easy to use, and it's nice that you can scan it right in front of you. With Apple Pay as well, it's all extremely smooth.

by Anonymousreply 208July 31, 2018 2:55 PM

To R206 -

There may be some lesser-known cheaper items here and there but I am referring to basic food staples from well-known, nation-wide corporations and large-scale stores.

And if you want to talk about health and beauty aides:

Irish Spring 8-pack bar soap. Available everywhere in the US. Walmart: $3.97 for the 8-pack. Amazon: $12.17 for the exact same 8-pack. Yes, just ONE 8-pack.

Gee, which is cheaper, .50 cents per bar at Walmart or $1.52 per bar at Amazon???

by Anonymousreply 209July 31, 2018 3:12 PM

Ok hold up. Are you comparing items actually sold BY Amazon - as in "ships from and sold by Amazon" plus eligible for Amazon Prime - or are you comparing some products from an Amazon search that are probably sold and packaged by third parties? Even the batched stuff (4 for whatever) for the same product can be sold by a different merchant, i.e. not Amazon. It must be sold by and shipped from Amazon to be an actual Amazon product.

by Anonymousreply 210July 31, 2018 3:45 PM

Stuff is cheaper at AmazonFresh vs. my area Pavilions.

by Anonymousreply 211July 31, 2018 3:47 PM

That is why you price shop R209. No one said Amazon is the cheapest on every product. Walgreens has shampoo at $9.99, but I can get it at Target for $6.99. I can get organic bread at Trader Jones for $2.99/loaf whereas at my local grocers organic bread is $5.49/loaf or higher.

by Anonymousreply 212July 31, 2018 3:47 PM

Thanks to Amazon, I don't need a car. I work from home and take Lyft to the gym, etc.

by Anonymousreply 213July 31, 2018 3:49 PM

R209 = One Indignant Cunt

by Anonymousreply 214July 31, 2018 3:53 PM

Amazon sells white nationalist literature on their website. Appalling.

by Anonymousreply 215July 31, 2018 4:10 PM

I live in the middle of nowhere so if I want something besides the usual Wal-Mart fare then Amazon is the place to go.

by Anonymousreply 216July 31, 2018 10:34 PM

Am I sick of ordering everything I need from the comfort of my home without having to deal with annoying people and lazy clerks? Sure Jen.

by Anonymousreply 217July 31, 2018 10:39 PM

Amazon doesn't have set prices, The prices fluctuate violently. I almost always check camelcamelcamel to see if the current price is low or whether it's been lower in the past. If the price is high, I set an alert to let me know when the price comes back down. I have saved a lot by waiting for the price to change.

by Anonymousreply 218July 31, 2018 10:45 PM

A third party seller sells it r215. Amazon is a marketplace where others sell their own products, too.

by Anonymousreply 219July 31, 2018 10:48 PM

I use the Honey Chrome extension, it alerts you if there is a price drop or a coupon code for the product you want.

by Anonymousreply 220July 31, 2018 11:13 PM

I'm gonna buy an "I ♥ Amazon" T-shirt and prance around DL in it, and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 221August 1, 2018 3:07 AM

r22 You rebel!

by Anonymousreply 222August 1, 2018 3:26 AM

I've found that I can save some significant money by going directly to the Amazon Deals page instead of the Amazon home page. Always check the deals page first before you start browsing around Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223August 3, 2018 4:21 PM

Oops, forgot to include a link to the Warehouse Deals page too. That is also a great way of finding stuff cheap on Amazon instead of paying full price for it. A lot of people don't seem to even know about Amazon's warehouse deals, you can save some serious cash if you look around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224August 3, 2018 4:22 PM

You're using an affiliate link? Bitch please!

by Anonymousreply 225August 3, 2018 4:24 PM

I cancelled my Amazon Fresh membership. They've outsourced their grocery deliveries to the post office of all places. My last two orders were missing half the items I had ordered. I called Amazon customer service both times to complain and got refunds on the entire orders, even on the items delivered.

It's not worth the hassle or inconvenience anymore, so I'm done with their Fresh program.

by Anonymousreply 226August 3, 2018 4:53 PM

If you have too many problems with your orders they can cancel your accounts too, with no warning.

by Anonymousreply 227August 4, 2018 1:05 AM

I cancelled Prime today. I'm gonna spend that $119 on blow and a hand job.

by Anonymousreply 228August 23, 2018 3:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!