Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are there age limits to being a frau?

My younger cousin is only 22 but already in grave danger of entering early frauhood. She's a big girl who dresses totally frumpy, has three cats, never goes out, except to attend a local community college or go out and get coffee. Never had a boyfriend but she "ships" things like cute male characters on TV shows and Twilight. She likes to bake and sew, too, and her only close friend is essentially a gay guy version of herself.

Too young to be a frau or already one?

by Anonymousreply 67July 4, 2018 10:54 PM

Do they still make Laura Ashley?

Does she wear Laura Ashley, if so?

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2018 11:00 PM

Rating for this one:

-100/100

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2018 11:01 PM

what does "ships" mean?

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2018 11:02 PM

the shipping is a bad sign :((

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2018 11:02 PM

Shipping means she's a fan of two male characters on TV, but she follows or 'ships' them as being in a fictionalized gay relationship.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2018 11:04 PM

if she ships Outlander or Supernatural, call it a day honey.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2018 11:06 PM

I thought fraus had to be middle aged.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2018 11:12 PM

Just introduce to Sam Heughan and DL, and you'll never have to worry about her or see her again.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2018 11:14 PM

Nope, she's just training to be a crazy cat lady

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2018 11:15 PM

There aren't age limits. There aren't even gender limits. There are quite a few male fraus around, too.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2018 11:19 PM

You have to have kids to be a frau.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2018 11:27 PM

So what's a frau without kids? Just a spinster?

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2018 11:30 PM

You just know her Tumblr bio runs thus:

[quote] Cat mom. Student. Culinary artist. Writer. Fangirl. I read SF/fantasy, classics, poetry, fanfic and books about cats. I listen to all music, but my nostalgia playlist is strictly showtunes. Things I like include, but are not limited to: all things Supernatural, shoujo/shonen anime, superhero movies (I'm a Marvel girl!), web comics, vintage sci-fi/fantasy shows (Whedon is my GOD), cosplay, tattoos, dancing to Nicki Minaj, Diet Coke, and snuggly pajamas. I have two liberal arts degrees, but don't tell anyone.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2018 11:43 PM

I don't think baking and especially sewing are frau activities besides the fact they are traditionally associated with women at home, which doesn't really mean anything. It should have to do with what they like to bake (something like kitty litter cake) or sew (a Kincaid Christmas pillow). Someone who makes cool clothes or alters them isn't necessarily a frau because of that, but maybe those would be exceptions anyway.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2018 12:07 AM

This is not at all Frau behavior. A Frau is family-centric. Her family defines who she is. An office Frau tries to create a family dynamic among her coworkers. She has holiday outfits and usually organizes the various cake parties, potlucks, outings and any reason to celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2018 12:10 AM

OP, it sounds like your cousin is more in danger of becoming Frederica Bimmel. And what about this gay friend of hers? Does he sew, too? Have you caught him measuring her hips and waist lately?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2018 12:13 AM

r15's definition is what I think of when I hear "frau."

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2018 12:14 AM

She's not a Frau. She's an incurable Nerd.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2018 12:18 AM

Lush frau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2018 12:19 AM

Frau is not an age or gender - it’s a state of mind and a way of life.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2018 1:31 AM

She's a Fraulein, or Frau in training.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2018 1:32 AM

The OP obviously has a lot of time on his hands. Maybe he should take up a hobby, like scrapbooking, or something. I think it would do him good.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2018 1:37 AM

Does she refer to her cats as her fur babies and sew little sweaters for them? If so, she is a frau.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2018 1:42 AM

Aktuwelly, I appreciate OP's asking. I had a sense of the range of the whole Frau spectrum from context but didn't get the concept of "shippers" at all until now. So thank you.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2018 2:01 AM

She seems like she's more aggressively normcore, but will gradually allow it to consume her whole personality and then blossom into fraudom.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2018 2:35 AM

Full frau. There is no turning back.

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2018 5:43 AM

Jesus, R13. That was brutal but perfectly accurate.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2018 10:50 AM

Does she *LIVE* for Yankee Candles!?

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2018 11:26 AM

Depends what she ships.

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2018 7:48 PM

No, fraus are all about their children and their special needs and wonderfulness and about their Dear Hubbykins. Your cousin is just a fangirl.

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2018 8:17 PM

You don’t need to have kids to be a frau. R13 is horribly scary but quite accurate. Shippers are very delusional and probably responsible for the Sam Heughan thread here which never goes away. I knew one who had seen “a real ghost” in college in her dorm bed. She didn’t know why it was a ghost and didn’t do much but stand around. Then the “ghost” went away.(?)

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2018 9:20 PM

R15 has it right. And fraus are usually mean spirited. The girl OP describes sounds sweet and corny.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2018 9:31 PM

We need a Venn diagram to illustrate that 'dorky awkward spinster' and 'frau' are distinctive and barely relate.

A frau does not crush on celebrity men as she has her DH and wouldn't DREAM of "emotionally cheating" on him, and she has no time for creative hobbies or participating in something fun and peer-led like fandom as her precious spawn eat up all her time. A frau will also disdain pets in the house ("the extra maid bills! the allergy triggers! my soft furnishings! what about my KIDS?!"). A frau wouldn't read classics much less poetry (but maybe trashy paperbacks or celebrity autobios), and probably has extremely limited taste in things like music and film (probably taking her cues from her cube-friends). Most garden-variety frauen haven't any further education than a community college diploma, and defer all decision-making and "hard" tasks requiring intellect (like finances) to their DH. They lack the introspective and curious traits necessary to appreciate contemporary art/fashion a la Tumblrinas, and likely can't even wrap their minds around conceptual commercial/genre works like anything sci-fi. Their cooking is unadventurous and they can't use their technology properly so their kids have to set it up for them and teach them how to get/use apps. Many do like musical theater, though.

The overlap between the circles on the Venn should contain 'sweat/yoga pants worn for purposes other than working out', 'humble-bragging for kudos in circlejerk conversations', 'neurosis', 'diet drinks' and of course 'mug-cradling' (although the student/Millennial manner of mug-cradling is different to the frau way).

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2018 9:57 PM

I love R33 😂

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2018 10:05 PM

R33 is on the money. I live in Frauville and the OP's cousin sounds way too creative and fun. Fraus only do things that other fraus approve of and I'm fairly sure fantasizing about hot men having sex with each other would be on the no list.

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2018 10:15 PM

Agree with r33 except for the "creative pursuits." A true Frau is dedicated to her Pinterest pages and works hard at her tablescapes, kids projects, holiday (and really almost every day is a holiday in Frauville) baking and crafts, and staging the perfect FB and Insta photos and stories.

A Frau may have a celeb crush but never anything hardcore fandom, with the possible exception of her movie star girl crush on Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2018 11:29 PM

Your cousin sounds cool. Does she live in LA? I’d hang with her. We could knit sweaters for our cats together.

by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2018 11:37 PM

Maybe she suffers from social anxiety. Why don’t you invite her places since you’re so concerned and well adjusted

by Anonymousreply 38June 20, 2018 11:47 PM

Are we confusing cat ladies with fraus? I thought they were two different species.

by Anonymousreply 39June 20, 2018 11:51 PM

Frau is a state of mind.

by Anonymousreply 40June 20, 2018 11:52 PM

A child is not a frau. Frauhood is attained as a lifelong adult characteristic. Destiny if you will.

Yes OP you're cousin is entering frauhood. It's a new mutation we've been seeing called the millennial frau. Precocious fraus like your cousin start early but all last into middle age. After 65 a frau starts transitioning to her next stage of development and becomes a full functioning crone by the time she's 70.

Hope this helps.

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2018 12:22 AM

Are there fraus from other countries? Or is frau an American-only phenomena?

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2018 2:06 AM

Fräulein

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2018 2:09 AM

[quote]I thought fraus had to be middle aged.

Well, that's why OP is asking.

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2018 2:11 AM

R42, Canada has fraus, too. The word derives from Germany.

Middle-aged women are peak fraus. So most fraus are Gen X women right now.

by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2018 2:18 AM

Frau in training. It’s like Junior lifeguard training, or ROTC classes in high school.

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2018 3:15 AM

If OP's cousin ships those Supernatural guys, I would say it is a red flag. If she is shipping Twilight movie characters in 2018 that may be a little odd, but if she is shipping Robsten in 2018 and thinks they are a real couple, then you need to stage a family intervention, one of her cats may have given her toxoplasmosis.

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2018 5:21 AM

I usually ship USPS.

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2018 5:53 AM

Your niece reminds me of a few women I work with. All under 40..ship Hetero characters, love making jewelry, or paper crafting, read manga and watch anime, knit (scarves and hats). Talk about recipes all day. They discuss their real and imagined illnesses ad nauseum. All single, some live with parents. Pretty sure most, if not all, are virgins.

The one thing they don't have are CATS. "Allergies" and "migraines" --all of them.

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2018 6:24 AM

Do fraus believe in a Live Love Laugh lifestyle or that's a different category?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2018 6:36 AM

It’s important to distinguish between fraus, cat ladies and fag hags.

All of them can suffer from fibromyalgia, but only fag hags have gay best friends.

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2018 6:53 AM

Fraus are basic bitches who get married.

by Anonymousreply 52June 21, 2018 7:14 AM

Can a woman be a fag hag if she only has one gay male friend though?

by Anonymousreply 53June 21, 2018 7:18 AM

Yes, R53, if he’s her BEST friend.

She may also suffer from the dreaded curse of the pink wand - and have fallen in love with him.

by Anonymousreply 54June 21, 2018 7:20 AM

Girl needs to get on Tinder.

by Anonymousreply 55June 21, 2018 8:20 AM

[quote] No, fraus are all about their children and their special needs and wonderfulness and about their Dear Hubbykins.

Sounds just like Kate Middleton!

by Anonymousreply 56June 21, 2018 8:50 AM

I'm still not getting this whole 'ships' thing.

by Anonymousreply 57June 21, 2018 3:03 PM

R57 imagining two hot guys boning.

by Anonymousreply 58June 21, 2018 3:05 PM

Oh, I do every day, R57. But what does a frau have to do with that? Does she imagine two hot guys boning? Is that even considered an activity?

I might have to update the 'skills' portion of my resume.

by Anonymousreply 59June 21, 2018 3:08 PM

And then create artwork/fan fiction of same

by Anonymousreply 60June 21, 2018 3:10 PM

Live Love Laugh is a slightly different lifestyle, R50.

by Anonymousreply 61June 21, 2018 9:06 PM

R33 and r36 are scarily accurate. OP, I know someone exactly like your niece and she met a nice dorky guy in one of her geek forums and they're happily married. She's a nice young kid and not very Frau-y, so there's hope for your niece.

by Anonymousreply 62June 22, 2018 4:19 AM

R59 Shipper fraus fantasize about the two brothers in “Supernatural” boning and then write sleazy stories about that.

by Anonymousreply 63June 26, 2018 12:13 AM

Definitely gonna be a frau, OP

by Anonymousreply 64July 4, 2018 6:48 AM

Does she aspire to work in HR? If so she is a Frau. All Human Resource directors I have met through the years have been mean frumpy Fraus. ALL OF THEM. Including 2 who were gay men.

by Anonymousreply 65July 4, 2018 6:58 AM

R19: Nooo, I never thought I’d see her on DL!

by Anonymousreply 66July 4, 2018 7:07 AM

lol R65

by Anonymousreply 67July 4, 2018 10:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!