Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Meghan at Royal Ascot

I do have to say that HRH The Duchess of Sussex is looking fabulous at the races this afternoon.

Great styling today.

by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2018 7:24 PM

Very sophisticated look

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2018 1:21 PM

She looks good.

So every one out of seven outfits she'll look good.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2018 1:25 PM

Hat's not bad. But she looks like she's wearing a nurse's uniform.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2018 1:28 PM

Oh, come on, R3. When is the last time you saw a nurse in the old white, starched uniform?

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2018 1:49 PM

Better than that Bedouin tent she wore to the family wedding.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2018 1:50 PM

I was looking at pictures of Kate from Previous Ascots and she was all lacy. Kate isn't as frumpy as people think.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2018 1:52 PM

It's a Tuesday (work day). Why is she at Ascot? Can't she find some public work to do, to at least make herself look busy?

Or is she a professional Stepford Wife now?

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2018 1:56 PM

Much improved over the floral wedding outfit. Oddly enough I read Tom & Lorenzo’s review of that dress and they didn’t hate it or tear her to shreds (besides the fascinator). But they have questionable taste sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2018 2:21 PM

It's an improvement given her track record, and some pretty detailing, and the hat suits her. But the dress looks a bit big on her... too much flow and drape for such a tiny frame.

Almost always, her clothes wear her.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2018 2:23 PM

I don’t think Kate is frumpy at all. She’s deliberately conservative. She purposely avoids being the fashion horse her dead mother in law was.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2018 2:23 PM

She doesn't avoid it at all. None of them can. They are meant to be seen. So whether Kate's conservative or not, she's a fashion horse. Can't be stopped.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2018 2:25 PM

[This thread is closed due to the excessive number of threads on the same topic. Please make your comments in one of the active Meghan Markle threads]

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2018 2:27 PM

Editor! You are being imposterized!

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2018 2:29 PM

The dress again looks too big. And this is another custom Givenchy.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2018 2:32 PM

Going to Ascot qualifies as work if you are Royal.

Our dear leader Theresa May almost got herself beheaded in 2016 for organizing the State Opening of Parliament during Ascot week.

The Queen was so pissed off that she refused to wear the Crown or Regalia and wore a blue suit instead. Then shot straight to Ascot changing into a yellow outfit on the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2018 2:35 PM

LOLOL! R15.

Seems they are aallwearing the similar neckline, collar. It's a shrtwaist look for Meghan. I love her hat. I think she used the Queen's hat guy.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2018 2:40 PM

Ha, true, R15. Markle better "work" by attending (horse) polo matches as well. The ladies' "work" consists of walking around the grass field during half-time and "stomping divots" (i.e. stomping back into place loose patches of grass and dirt, which are torn up by the polo ponies' hooves during matches).

Fun times ahead, Megs! Better wear your best shoes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2018 2:58 PM

She looks fine...much better than the china pattern worn last weekend.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2018 2:58 PM

...And it's not like the Royals are exempt from the "divot stomping" tradition either.

Here's Lady Gabriella Windsor hard at work, stomping and putting back muddy divots.

Poor Markle, she thought she escaped working-class hobbies...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2018 3:01 PM

The hat is very good, the dress (which is Givenchy, again - even posters on CB are starting to ask why she's merching for a French fashion house when her job is to represent British interests, and these clothes aren't cheap), is an improvement over the de la Renta infamia. It's still overwhelming her small frame, the open neck undermines the formality of the hat, and she's again put on far too much bronzer or blush. She's playing it safe, and dressing the way she thinks a Duchess should dress in the Royal Enclosure. Still, it could have been worse.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2018 3:19 PM

I actually think the dress is too informal for Royal Ascot. The hat is nice.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2018 3:25 PM

Mmmm, I gave the dress a pass before seeing it from the front on the Ascot thread, from the front the shirt-dress look is more objectionable than I at first thought. I think the elegance of the hat and the modified shirt-dress look fight each other - I'm sure they were meant to play charmingly together, but they don't.

[20]

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2018 3:25 PM

Bravo Meg, 1000% better than the flowered bathrobe. Hope she learned her lesson and will stick to sleek, sophisticated styles.

That flowery frump dress would only be suitable on a middle-aded, spinster, school warm.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2018 5:12 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2018 5:26 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2018 5:28 PM

R25 - Belgian waffle cone before shaping?

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2018 6:03 PM

No tendrils, at last! Maybe some pro-Royalist stapled them to her head, after reading the DL thread about her.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2018 6:07 PM

Are you people really writing "Bravo Meg"?

What the fuck is this? Is she 5 years old? Is she your close friend? Are you 12 years old?

Meghan Markle is the new Timothée Chamalet of DL.

At least now Timmy's fans are hiding in shame, your turn Sugars.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2018 6:15 PM

Charles always looks so enamored when he is around her

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2018 6:16 PM

R29 - how can you tell with that red face? He looks like positively diseased these days.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2018 6:17 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2018 7:05 PM

In agreement with r31. The hat was ok but the dress was another fail. It had a clinical look to it - like an oversized factory overall with a tugged and stretched hem.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2018 7:14 PM

You have to wonder who is advising MM on these awful outfits. I don't think it's Harry. He didn't look thrilled at the blue and white tablecloth.

Is it the Queen's assistant from New Zealand who was about to retire? Kate or her assistant who picks out Kate's clothes?

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2018 7:16 PM

MM looks great in this shirt dress. But it is photoshopped to make her look thinner with a smaller waist?

She wouldn't be able to wear a hem that high but still... MM looks like a different person than she was just a month ago. She became old and matronly-looking after the wedding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2018 7:19 PM

The dress is beautifully embroidered, very bridal, but that hemline is too much for her.

She has lost a lot of weight I think, and I do not see a thick waist at all but a tiny rectangular girl with her curves gone. Still lovely though.

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2018 7:19 PM

Why does Prince Andrew always look so miserable nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2018 7:20 PM

she looks just like the rest of them now. they have no distinction between them.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2018 7:21 PM

Prince Andrew has lots of worries: Money, Epstein girl accusing him, his daughters aren't getting the money from Charles like Andrew would like, he's going to have to kick in for Eugenie's wedding, worry about Fergie's behavior at the wedding and reception, etc.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2018 7:34 PM

House of Givenchy, we make dresses crumple in the middle!

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2018 7:56 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2018 8:40 PM

[QUOTE] R38 Prince Andrew has lots of worries: Money, Epstein girl accusing him, his daughters aren't getting the money from Charles like Andrew would like, he's going to have to kick in for Eugenie's wedding, worry about Fergie's behavior at the wedding and reception, etc.

Charles doesn't control the Royal purse strings, The Queen does. Andrew will need to worry when Charles becomes King, that is when the money will dry up for his siblings.

The Queen wouldn't treat any of her grandchildren differently so will pay for Eugenie's wedding. She has always been very generous will all of her children and grandchildren, all of her family really. She even allocated a 'Grace & Favour' (Free) property at Windsor to her cousin Margaret Rhodes in 1981 until her death in 2016.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2018 9:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2018 9:28 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2018 9:29 PM

R41 - Charles does control the purse strings of the Duchy of Cornwall, which I think produces around 20 million a year. That's how he pays for Kate's and Meghan's rags so that William and Harry can spend their trust income on things like polo ponies, cars, staff, and luxe hols. I have no info on whether Charles shares that out with his brothers/nieces/nephews. But that said, he will obviously be the next to control the strings to the even heavier purse within the not too distant future (we assume but who knows with Betty?!), and he's made his aim to "streamline" the monarchy very clear, so I wouldn't be surprised if Andy and Eddie and the Wessex kids and York girls were worried. Andrew is a sleazy prick, always was.

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2018 9:29 PM

She looks very nice and I'd be quite happy if she always did this sort of thing. She should keep her hair up, it's not attractive at this point. One more thing though, what's with the orange clown makeup? Is she taking makeup tips from Trump?

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2018 10:01 PM

Is Andy's black eye gone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2018 10:04 PM

R44 He only uses the Income from The Duchy of Cornwall to pay for his own Family.

The Queen receives the Sovereign Grant (£42million) to pay for day to day living expenses, including her children's

Her private income is from The Duchy of Lancaster (about £16million) and dividends on her portfolio, that is the income that pays for Charles siblings and their children.

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2018 10:07 PM

Zara Tindall has had another baby girl. I never noticed this before, but she looks a hell of a lot like Jennifer Saunders (Zara, not the baby).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2018 10:11 PM

Who is Jennifer Saunders?

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2018 11:59 PM

^ Edina Monsoon from Absolutely Fabulous

by Anonymousreply 50June 20, 2018 12:16 AM

Had no idea there was such a strict dress code for Ascot per r31's link from the Daily Fail. Women HAVE to wear a hat.

by Anonymousreply 51June 20, 2018 1:17 AM

[quote] She even allocated a 'Grace & Favour' (Free) property at Windsor to her cousin Margaret Rhodes in 1981 until her death in 2016.

Awww. I think that's nice.

Margaret Rhodes was one of the group who accompanied the Queen (then Princess Elizabeth) and Princess Margaret on their "Big Night Out" when they went out into the huge London crowds, incognito, on the night of the celebration on V-E Day, May 8, 1945. Among other things they joined a long Conga line dancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 20, 2018 3:46 AM

Yes, r24!

I was actually about to post that this is literally the best I've ever seen the York sisters look. Eugenie especially in that Dior-inspired outfit. Who'da thunk that The New Look would suit her so well? Or maybe she's dropped some weight...

by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2018 7:38 AM

I agree they were well put together.

by Anonymousreply 54June 20, 2018 11:03 AM

R53 - they looked quite decent considering their congenital difficulties with mirrors.

by Anonymousreply 55June 20, 2018 3:01 PM

R51 - just wait till they outlaw hair weaves at Ascot.

by Anonymousreply 56June 20, 2018 3:02 PM

The York girls also looked surprisingly decent at the Serpentine party. Perhaps they took a long look at Meghan and figured it wouldn't take much to up their game.

by Anonymousreply 57June 20, 2018 4:50 PM

As for the York girls, I wonder if the Queen is seeing that they get more money and advice for clothes.

With Sparkle spending a fortune of the RF's money, it's nice to see Beatrice and Eugenie looking better dressed.

by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2018 4:58 PM

DLers, I need your expert advice!

I'm thinking of going to Ascot this week, maybe Friday.

Which enclosure (besides Royal Enclosure obviously) is best & most fun?

by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2018 7:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!