Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

RHOBH's Kyle Richards and her "American Woman" TV Show

The feminism theme is pretty heavy handed and the overall production is amateurish, but it has a fantastic 1970s soundtrack and appropriately garish fashion and home décor. Discuss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 29, 2018 10:57 AM

It also has Cheyenne Jackson in a bad wig (but hot body) playing Mena Suvari's closeted gold digger boyfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2018 11:03 AM

Why is Kyle Richards famous, when Kim was the one in that space mountain movie?

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2018 11:12 AM

I am 40 years old and the only time in my life I have ever heard of the “famous” movie Escape to Witch Mountain was through RHOBH. I was born in 1978 and the movie came out in 1975. I grew up watching Grease (1978), Grease 2 (1982), Xanadu (1980) and other movies of the era on VHS and bad Disneyesque live-action movies from the 70s (Apple Dumpling Gang, Pippi Longstocking) in school. How did Witch Mountain evade my childhood?

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2018 11:55 AM

Let's hope BH is filming when this show is canceled so we get Kyle's reaction.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2018 12:02 PM

It doesn't matter what Kyle does. Maurico will always cheat on her and Lisa V will always be the start of BHH.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2018 1:01 PM

Is the closeted gold digger boyfriend character based on Mauricio?

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2018 1:12 PM

Maurice likes trannies

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2018 1:28 PM

Because Kim became this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2018 1:28 PM

Km may have had Witch Mountain, but Kyle had Down to Earth!

Does anyone else remember that terrible WTBS 80s monstrosity of a sitcom? I loved it as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2018 1:33 PM

R9 Speaking of Down to Earth - here are Kyle and Kim with their old noses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2018 1:34 PM

I’m older than R3 and also have never seen Witch Mountain. It was a blip on the pop culture radar back then and is entirely forgotten today.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2018 1:35 PM

R2 Excuse me! I was in Halloween! A much bigger film than that stupid Witch Mountain thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2018 1:36 PM

R10 I see Kim had already begun drinking.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2018 1:37 PM

I’m no fan of Kyle but I hate her enemies more which is why I want this show to be a monster hit. It would be fun to see Lisa Vanderpump and Kim Richards crawl on their knees just to touch the hem of Kyle’s dress once she becomes the new Queen of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2018 1:38 PM

Rumor has it LVP is in talks to create a show called "British Woman".

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2018 1:40 PM

R14 Rinna would kill for a cameo on the show. Maybe Kyle can get her a walk-on as one of the May Company sales girls.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2018 1:40 PM

R15 And it's going to be all about her relationship with the grandmother whose name Kyle didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2018 1:48 PM

They’re all trashy broads.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2018 2:28 PM

I’m 41 and I remember Witch Mountain. I watched way too much Saturday Afternoon TV to be fair.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2018 2:42 PM

I think Rinna is doing fine as the QVC queen.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2018 2:44 PM

I watched both episodes the other night, it's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2018 3:11 PM

I like American Woman so far. I remember watching Witch Mountain as a kid, and admiring Kim's long long crimped hair in Tuff Turf and Diff'rent Strokes. I've never watched RHOBH though.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2018 3:27 PM

I wonder if JLC will do a cameo at some point.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2018 3:31 PM

[quote] Why is Kyle Richards famous, when Kim was the one in that space mountain movie?

Kim is too fragile these days for sustained TV work. Blanche DuBois was more stable and hardy.

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2018 3:33 PM

As a Kim fan who hasn’t seen RHOBH, you’ll be happy to know that Kim Richards is enjoying her old age. She certainly hasn’t been recently arrested for drunkenly fighting with cops or for stealing $300 worth of merchandise from a local Target store. Because that would be crazy.

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2018 3:33 PM

I vividly remember Witch Mountain - watched it multiple times. The movie - and particularly Kim Richards - stayed with me for years even though it seemed everyone forgot about it. I was amazed to have it pop up again thanks to RHOBH.

The reason Kim stuck out to me even at the age of 8 was her incredibly sad eyes. She just radiated sadness. It must have resonated with me. Must have been a tough childhood with that mother. You can see it clearly with Kathy Hilton - a sociopathic mother who pushes her kids to fame and golddigging.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2018 4:28 PM

I thought Return From Witch Mountain was better.

“Stop it Tony, stop it!”

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2018 12:51 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2018 12:56 AM

I love the production design of the show - all the 70s colors - the olive greens, bright oranges, yellows, reds. And the ferns! My God, the ferns!

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2018 12:58 AM

its so bad and amateurish, its almost

awful.

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2018 1:04 AM

Kim would comment in this thread but she’s currently “otherwise engaged”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2018 1:11 AM

It's her eyebrows that are sad, like someone from the 1920s, not her eyes

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2018 1:27 AM

R7 Mauricio likes his stepdaughter. The tranny thing is just a cover. Fucking your stepdaughter, should it get out, is WAY worse than a rumour for a taste for trannies. As always, Kyle just looks the other way. She is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2018 2:16 PM

The showrunner is John Wells, who did West Wing, ER, China Beach and Shameless. So "amateurish" it is not.

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2018 2:33 PM

Witch Mountain had Bette Davis in it...but then, so did Watcher in the Woods

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2018 2:42 PM

R33 Farrah? How long has that been going on for?

by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2018 5:18 PM

In the minds of Datalounge posters, Mauricio has been fucking his step daughter since the day they met. In the real world, Mauricio is not fucking his step daughter.

by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2018 8:06 PM

Why did they let Kim wear a hat in her mug shot?

by Anonymousreply 38June 20, 2018 8:15 PM

Why would Mauricio want to fuck his stepdaughter? Can't he get better looking girls?

by Anonymousreply 39June 20, 2018 10:03 PM

R34 It may have John Wells behind it, but I'd say John's phoning this one in, because the show is indeed very amateurish. The editing is really sloppy, and there was one scene with Alicia Silverstone and the guy who plays her husband sitting on the couch and talking, and the camera kept bobbing all over the place. I was getting nauseous. If the scene was supposed to take place on a boat, I'd get it. But they were in the living room.

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2018 1:16 AM

Forbidden Fruit R39

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2018 1:20 AM

R39 Convenience. They work together, so he can fuck her right in the office and still be home every night with Kyle and Portia.

He doesn't have to make up, "honey, I'm working late" excuses.

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2018 1:24 AM

Sad eyes, sad eyebrows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2018 1:28 AM

Still so charming. Shocking that Spielberg hasn’t written a blockbuster for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2018 1:33 AM

It's in slightly poor taste to portray Big Kathy as some kind of feminist icon, no? She spent her life being vile to other women.

by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2018 1:38 AM

R45 As a child, Kyle probably viewed her as a strong woman.

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2018 1:41 AM

Jesus Kathy sounds like a monster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2018 1:50 AM

Rhinna can make an appearance as the Avon Lady.

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2018 1:58 AM

You're right R43, she always looks sad, It's the eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2018 1:59 AM

R47 She was absolutely a monster. Those kids were psychologically abused (at the very least). I don't know why Kyle is trying to sugarcoat her upbringing. Then again, that is sort of her M.O. as head enabler and peacekeeper in chief in that fucked up family. She would get a lot more sympathy from people like me who thinks she isn't very bright or likable if she ripped the lid off the whole ugly facade behind their upbringing. Kathy Hilton (ew) has already frozen Kyle out (no great loss). So she doesn't have anything to lose, and quite a lot to gain. I think she should scrap this attempt and negotiate a warts and all version with Netflix. It might free up some of the anger that is always just below the surface of Kyle. As well as the very in your face anger that is such a huge part of Kim's personality. Maybe they could get some healing out of doing this. But maybe Kyle can't let go of her professional enabler side. Also, I don't think she has the balls. Gotta keep things looking happy, happy, happy! Too bad, I think it would make an excellent series.

by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2018 2:12 AM

R50 Yes, Kyle is the quintessential child of an alcoholic abuser, always trying to "make things right" and pretending everything's okay. Even with her mother dead and gone, that behavior has been so engrained in Kyle that I don't think she could possibly open herself up to the pain of her upbringing, let alone put it on the small screen.

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2018 2:23 AM

So the show is getting better now that they're developing the characters more and are starting to tell the story of how the girls got into acting.

I did laugh out loud in this latest episode when Alicia Silverstone was using her vibrator and caused the power in the house to short circuit.

by Anonymousreply 52July 14, 2018 4:44 PM

One of my favorite Datalounge comments was in the thread about their new bigger home and a poster wrote: "More rooms for Mauricio to stick his big burrito in People!"

by Anonymousreply 53July 14, 2018 4:56 PM

I didn't get the T-shirts, but I got the books.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 14, 2018 5:20 PM

Was nice to see Jonathan Chase on the show. Wonder if he'll be back

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 29, 2018 6:24 AM

R10 kyles nosejob is very much an improvement; Kim definitely looked better before. I think because Kim’s nose was narrower (even if slightly turned) down), when her doctor tried to make it look more straight and upturned it came out a little wider and just overall weird.

by Anonymousreply 56July 29, 2018 7:05 AM

I think this show is pretty well done. I like Alicia Silverstone in it; she's kind of interesting to watch. It seems they've softened her character the past couple of episodes. The show started out with the mother being portrayed as a brassy, boozy type of mother just like (it seems) Kim and Kyle's mother was.

by Anonymousreply 57July 29, 2018 7:18 AM

folks in the industry giggle at this amateurish piece of crap

how in hell she ever got it made, who knows, she musta mortgaged the house to get it done. and sold all her (stole) jewelry.....uh huh.

embarrassingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 58July 29, 2018 10:55 AM

R58 Thank you for your input, Lisa Vanderpump.

by Anonymousreply 59July 29, 2018 10:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!