Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Special Request - Quick, easy to make soup recipes.

Have you got any you'd like to share? I can't stand soups that take ages to make with tons of ingredients.

This pea soup that I'll link in my next post @ R1 - is my go-to for a fast soup. Under half an hour from scratch. Just double the portions. Who makes soup for one?...I also add fresh mint from my garden, which I add to the onions at the beginning and use a low fat creme fraiche...which I throw in at the end. Try it. You'll thank me.

Back to you...any great recipes?...but remember, quick and easy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2018 9:58 AM

and here's the recipe - double or triple the ingredients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2018 10:27 AM

I might have to bump this later. Wrong time of day for soup recipes - but I never let the summer put me off.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2018 10:34 AM

Open can. Pour soup in pan. Heat. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2018 10:36 AM

boil canned chicken broth. add chicken bouillon powder because chicken broth has little flavor.....

add pastina til cooked which is fast AF----- pour in your bowl or cup with some grated parm on top...... really good. and comforting......great if you aren't feeling 100%........

add pepper, diced carrots or whatever else you might like.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2018 11:25 AM

Zucchini soup.

I would just add some Philadelphia cheese to the recipe below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2018 12:15 PM

I make something similar to your pea soup. I put a little curry powder in with the onions. And when I purée it all, I put the mint leaves in, too.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2018 12:21 PM

Thanks, R5 - I'm going to try that.

R6 - I think I'm going to try the curry powder addition. But I'm wondering if to will overwhelm the flavour of the whole soup. I've never used curry powder in anything.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2018 5:50 PM

I add curry powder to chicken soup, especially if I have a cold.

I don't really have soup recipes, I just make something up, usually when trying to figure out what to do with leftovers. If you don't make your own stock, use the low sodium versions. A big bowl of soup from a commercially prepared stock has a very unhealthy high sodium level. Same with all canned and frozen soups.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2018 5:57 PM

Take any vegetable or fruit. Sautée with onions in butter. Purée it. Simmer with milk. Add a dash of whatever, cheese or fish sauce or mustard. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish however you like. Pour in large coffee or soup mug. Cradle. Drink.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2018 6:36 PM

So much garlic in that Zuchinni recipe! I'd never use so much. Not a big fan of garlic anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2018 6:38 PM

Making your own chicken stock is the easiest thing in the world. Get a big onion and some carrots and a clove of garlic and a bunch of parsley and some chicken wings (I used backs and feet too, when I can get them, and they're even cheaper). Chop up the onion and carrot roughly. Don't bother to peel them. Cut the clove of garlic lengthwise. Fry off the chicken wings a little. Just like 2-3 minutes to get the fat moving. Dump all of it in a slow cooker. Cover in water. Put on low for 8-12 hours. Et voila! The best chicken stock.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2018 6:47 PM

R11 That’s disgusting! Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2018 11:23 AM

I had a clam and spinach soup that was good the other day.

Olive oil, a small chopped yellow onion, a couple of minced cloves of garlic in a soup pot. After a couple of minutes, add a tray of chopped drained anchovies and some red pepper flakes. Then add 1 C white wine, a 32 oz box of salt free veggie stock, some oregano and bay leaves, then 3 cans of clams with the juice. Simmer. When ready to serve squeeze the juice of a lemon in there, add two chopped green onion and a big bag of spinach. Let it all wilt and serve.

Had it with some crusty bread and it was great.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2018 11:41 AM

That's how you make chicken stock, r12. I don't put garlic in my stock, but I do use bones, carrots, onions, parsley and celery.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2018 11:43 AM

[quote]After a couple of minutes, add a tray of chopped drained anchovies and some red pepper flakes.

eeew, FOUL!

[quote] Then add 1 C white wine, a 32 oz box of salt free veggie stock, some oregano and bay leaves, then 3 cans of clams with the juice.

3 cans of clams? - what a horrible sounding soup.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2018 11:58 AM

[quote] Cover in water. Put on low for 8-12 hours. Et voila! The best chicken stock.

I hate having things on the go for 8-12 hours and surely you're constantly having to add water.

I don't see why you queens are so terrified of stock cubes. There are perfectly healthy organic low sodium options.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2018 12:01 PM

Boil some good stock, add onions, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, canned beans or lentils or whatever you have in the fridge, season with pepper, sage, thyme or basil. Shave some Parmesan cheese over the hot soup while serving. Soups are leftover dishes.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2018 12:12 PM

This soup is fast and easy. I usually add some black beans or tofu.

A good standby is a version of noodle soup. Stock (Pacific Foods sells great individual servings of stock) rice noodles, protein of choice (I use tofu) assorted vegetables.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2018 5:30 PM

Anchovies are great in recipes. You're missing out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2018 7:24 PM

Saute onions, garlic and green pepper.

Dump in chicken broth, sliced raw carrots and celery.

Simmer 20 minutes.

Add salt, spinach and chopped rotisserie chicken.

Serve.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2018 7:31 PM

Forgot - add a load of egg noodles to cook 2 min while simmering, before the spinach and chicken.

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2018 7:33 PM

Gazpacho. Best summer soup.

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2018 7:46 PM

This Spring Minestrone soup is amazing and easy but time consuming because of all the ingredients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2018 7:54 PM

Yes, R22 -- gazpacho is perfect for summer weather & requires none of the cooking that OP objects to. This version with cantaloupe is beautiful & highly versatile (more lime juice & some sriracha sauce on top are excellent additions).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2018 2:51 AM

Actually, in my (recent) experience Gazpacho is one of the few soups you can actually BUY that tastes really good...so I won't bother making it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2018 7:51 AM

Pumpkins aren’t used that much in American outside of pumpkin pie at thanksgiving - ? Or has that changed?

I’m in Oz and we use them in lots of things - mainly with roast dinners - where they’re roasted along with potatoes to have with lamb, beef, chicken or whatever,

I make pumpkin soup a lot too - and really like it.

Just gently fry up a sliced onion in a little olive or other oil till it’s tender - then add. Two or three handfuls of chipped up pumpkin. Butternut is good - we also have Queensland Blue and Jap - but not sure how easily available these varieties are in the US?

Also - and this is important! - peel and chop a large, floury potato up and put that in with the pumpkin. Still them around with the onion for a minute or two - then add some chicken stock to nearly cover. Ready bought liquid stock is fine - or chicken stock powder mixed with water. Then just bring to the boil, turn down to simmer and leave for 20-25 minutes till the vegetables are tender.

Let cool slightly - blitz with a stick blender or in a blender. Done. Reheat a little if required.

I always add a dollop of yoghurt or sour cream and lots of sea salt and cracked black pepper. Or you could top with some cheddar if you like. The potato means you don’t have to use any other cream or milk in making it - and gives it a lovely creamy consistency. Use vegetable stock if you prefer. So easy and takes great!

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2018 8:38 AM

R26 here again - sorry - chopped up pumpkin not chipped up - damn iPhone!

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2018 9:57 AM

I do the same thing R26, but sometimes too do 50/50 with sweet potato and am generous with fresh grated nutmeg: gives nice richness and depth to finish.

Also, for a change from yog/creme fraiche/sour cream some coconut milk,/cream to finish makes a good variation.

Same principle you describe too, but use more base onion, then bag load of carrot chopped up, put some OJ in with the stock, and bulk in a bit of pumpkin or sweet potato so the finish has some body without overwhelming carrot freshness with hints of orange zing finish.

Stick blend /blitz finish of course and simmer reduce consistency as reqd.

Once you know what you are doing, should hit 30 min prep time mark OP is wanting.

A poster mentioned throwing chopped onions with other vegetables into boiling broth or stock and going from there. Mistake. You will never boil out the rawness/bite crispishness with onions as you may with other traditional soup vegetable ingredients that soften better. If that does not bug you, then hunky dory.

Else, follow the lead of all the posters here who make soup from scratch, and always quickly fry soft your diced or sliced onion first before any liquids added.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2018 9:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!