Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vanessa Redgrave on why she was ready to die: ‘Trying to live was getting too tiring’

Vanessa Redgrave on why she was ready to die: ‘Trying to live was getting too tiring’

The legendary actor, on ageing, religion, human rights and the notorious Oscars speech that stalled her Hollywood career

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 4, 2018 11:19 PM

Bitch stole my role. The flew my all the way to London to audition for Julia because they wanted an unknown. Then they cast her as Julia and I played some other part with a bad wig. The director actually wrote my a letter of apology about the wig when the film came out.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2018 7:36 AM

that was me at r1. I'm still so upset about this. You know how I hate to lose roles. see Jessica Lange, Emma Thompson etc.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2018 7:38 AM

R2 lol

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2018 7:41 AM

Do we have a Vanessa Redgrave troll?

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2018 7:48 AM

That was a bizarre interview. The interviewer was shrill and defensive. And yet Redgrave still came off poorly in between coughing fits, giggling, moaning, farting and speaking in non sensical tongue about feminism, religion and politics.

Quite an exhausting read indeed.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2018 9:56 AM

Bigoted cunt should die. Slowly and very painfully.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2018 9:58 AM

Take a chill pill, Zionist at r6

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2018 8:50 AM

R5 R6 Are kooky zionists who need cuddles, and less access to guns and chemical weapons

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2018 8:55 AM

I don't know why these types of articles are called interviews when they're 70% about the interviewer writing herself into the article.

Just print the questions and the answers, please.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2018 9:05 AM

R9 Would be nice if they did some research first as well, and not decide what the answers will be to the crappy questions they do ask

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2018 9:09 AM

The woman lost her brother, sister, AND daughter all within a couple years of each other.

That has to fuck you up. I feel sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2018 9:17 AM

She’s still quite beautiful. Older, much older, but still very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 12July 2, 2018 2:48 AM

I love her voice.

by Anonymousreply 13July 2, 2018 2:53 AM

Really liked her in The Man in an Orange Shirt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 2, 2018 3:04 AM

I liked her in the wind and the willows TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 15July 2, 2018 3:13 AM

TERRIBLE interview. Just rotten.

[quote]when they're 70% about the interviewer writing herself into the article.

I just skipped most of it. They write and write, why bother to have the interviewee there at all?

I'd love to interview people.

by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2018 3:13 AM

R16

But how many interviewees wanted to be interviewed?

American exhibitionists might love it but a lot of actors HATE it. They are forced to do demeaning, intrusive interviews on the Ghastly smutty Graham Norton show or the tedious Charlie Rose, for instance, as part of their contract.

You can see performers like Maggie Smith cringe and blush in some of her rare interviews.

by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2018 3:28 AM

I'll trade places with her anyday

by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2018 2:55 PM

I enjoyed her narration on "Call the Midwife" because we were spared having to look at her.

by Anonymousreply 19July 2, 2018 3:54 PM

R17...uhhh...about Charlie Rose...

by Anonymousreply 20July 2, 2018 4:57 PM

[Quote] They are forced to do demeaning, intrusive interviews on the Ghastly smutty Graham Norton show

Is he really that bad?

by Anonymousreply 21July 2, 2018 5:15 PM

R21 No Graham is an extremely nice Irish gay man with a boyish sense of humour. And he giggles. Alot. Best part of his interviews is that he can ask Americans questions that would not pass the censor in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 22July 2, 2018 5:19 PM

R21 This for example

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 2, 2018 5:23 PM

[quote] No Graham is an extremely nice Irish gay man with a boyish sense of humour. And he giggles. Alot.

What's "boyish" about a schoolgurl giggler.

I find his giggling forced and fake.

People go on his show because there are hardly any interview shows to promote their shit, in England - which is odd considering this is the age of the celebrity...and typical of England.

by Anonymousreply 24July 2, 2018 5:23 PM

She's possibly the least articulate guest on the Actor's Studio ever. It doesn't take away from her greatness as an actor. Actors are usually not writers or thinkers, though there are exceptions like Guinness,

by Anonymousreply 25July 2, 2018 5:28 PM

I once read her autobiography - she went from one "cause" to the next. It never ended.

by Anonymousreply 26July 2, 2018 5:33 PM

R23 Lol that was a good interview.

by Anonymousreply 27July 2, 2018 5:45 PM

R27, Miriam Margolyes is the BEST, isn’t she? When I was over in the UK she was on some documentary series where she traveled around the US and met some Trumpanzees. She was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 28July 2, 2018 5:56 PM

R28 She really is!

by Anonymousreply 29July 2, 2018 5:58 PM

It’s surprising she hasn’t retreated to North Korea by now, but she’s probably too attached to her wealth and lifestyle to become a prole.

by Anonymousreply 30July 2, 2018 6:13 PM

R30, troll

by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2018 6:22 PM

What was it called, R28?

by Anonymousreply 32July 2, 2018 6:27 PM

This cunt again?

by Anonymousreply 33July 2, 2018 6:28 PM

Never mind, R28. I think it found it - Miriam's Big American Adventure.

by Anonymousreply 34July 2, 2018 6:30 PM

R33 must have just looked in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 35July 2, 2018 6:30 PM

She’s ready, God...

by Anonymousreply 36July 2, 2018 6:35 PM

Speaking of, her character in Deep Impact checked out way too early.

by Anonymousreply 37July 2, 2018 6:41 PM

I met her and her sister Lynn at the Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS Annual Flea Market. I have the "Julia" DVD signed by Vanessa and "Gods And Monsters" signed by Lynn. Vanessa's first husband Tony Richardson, father of Joley & Natasha died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 38July 2, 2018 7:11 PM

I think it's very interesting and that she is right most of the time. Smart actors and artists are correct in their positions that interviews tend to skew their subjects and in her case, take what she says out of context or completely change what she says. She is not antisemitic. She happens to be correct about the Israeli Palestinian issue. She was right years ago and she is correct now. Palestinians were thrown off their land by force and are essentially victims of an apartheid state in 2018. It's awful.

by Anonymousreply 39July 2, 2018 7:48 PM

R27 Margolyes is not "the BEST".

She's a North London Jewess Lesbian who owns 3 homes and will lie to ingratiate herself with potential buyers. She's wily. And she has a caricature of a face and body.

Now, I will admit she is a good mimic and vocal actor but she's only suitable for comedy, not for straight drama.

by Anonymousreply 40July 3, 2018 10:53 PM

[quote]She's a North London Jewess Lesbian

She's from Oxford, actually, Miss Know it all.

by Anonymousreply 41July 4, 2018 12:28 AM

R40, your assessment doesn’t change my opinion of what shw’s like on talk shows and the like. She’s fantastic on those. And she was fabulous in Age of Innocence as the dotty aunt.

by Anonymousreply 42July 4, 2018 1:22 AM

R41 North London is one of the three current addresses.

R42 Being a 'chat-show chatter' is a different profession from being a genuine actress.

Playing a childishly-named 'dotty' character reinforces my point that this woman is suitable for comedy but not drama.

by Anonymousreply 43July 4, 2018 11:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!