Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Good parenting: The rich relax in comfort at the front of the plane, leaving their kids to look after themselves in economy.

Here is a niche travel trouble: is it fair for parents to fly business or first class while booking economy for their children?

This has emerged as a consistent conundrum of the frequent-flying celebrity classes - Gordon Ramsay crowed about his choice to segregate his children in-flight not long ago. Over the weekend, the property presenter Kirstie Allsopp told The Sun that she booked economy for her children, ages 12 and 10, because otherwise they’d have nothing to aspire to.

“Obviously this wasn’t the case when they were little but now they are big enough to sit separately, they do,” she explained.

“Club Class should be a huge treat you’ve worked hard for. If kids get used to it, what do they have to work towards? It seems like an absurd waste of money and very spoiling.”

So, hurrah for luxury holidays, but don’t “spoil” the children with fancy seats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2018 8:50 AM

Depends on the kids' ages. By the time we were allowed to fly commercial, us kids REQUESTED to be sat an aisle or so away from our parents so we didn't have to deal with the smoke.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2018 11:27 PM

Things could be worse for them, after all.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2018 11:36 PM

Kirstie Allsopp is spot on! I treat myself to first or business class when I travel and have encountered the horrors of these spoiled children, usually with parents who do nothing to govern their behavior. These same parents, however, will be the first to defend little Madyson or Asher for merely expressing themselves. Ugh! I can only imagine how insufferable and entitled these children will be as the grow up.

There’s a reason I -and many others- opt to go first business class, and let me assure you it is NOT to put up with these spoiled brats and their woeful parents.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2018 11:47 PM

What cunts.

If you decide to pop out some kids, you and your spouse are required to supervise them and insure their safety to the best of your ability. It is the law.

Why the fuck have kids, if you’re going to dump them as soon as they learn how to cut into a steak? This is absurd. If you don’t want to sit with children on a 5 hour plus flight, then don’t have them. If you want a nanny, or strangers on a fucking commercial flight to look after YOUR children, then don’t have them. If you cannot afford them, don’t fucking have them.

Children are not dolls or toys. They are human beings who count on YOU, their parents, to feed, clothe, and house them. That is YOUR responsibility, not that of a stewardess, you selfish, lazy cunts.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2018 11:48 PM

What R4 said.

On a related note: This article reminds me of a story re Jean Claude VanDamme from a few years ago. Reportedly, he flew first or business class while leaving his wife and kids in economy, acting as if he did not know who they were. I was simultaneously laughing out loud and shaking my head.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2018 12:08 AM

Put them in cages.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2018 12:29 AM

I just don’t get it.

I would LOVE to be a mom. I am bad at many things, but kids aren’t one of them. I sometimes regret not having children, but I did not, because I was not responsible in my child bearing years, and I knew that. So instead of getting pregnant, I got my shot together, with several huge failures at life in between.

I wish I had been ready for parenthood in my 20s and 30s, but I just wasn’t, and chose to not have children. But if I had, I know enough about myself to know that even if we were eating top ramen, my child would be very loved, and cared for. I cannot imagine having a child, and purposefully choosing to not be next to them while on a commercial flight. Anything can happen.

People, take good care of your kids. It’s a bigger deal than you realize. If you cannot do it, then just don’t have them.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2018 12:49 AM

Kirstie had four kids ranging from 9-18 years. They can handle sitting a couple of rows apart for a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2018 12:54 AM

Maybe she just cant afford first class for all of them

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2018 1:07 AM

Oh shut the fuck up, R4. The kids were 10 and 12. They shouldn't need babysitting.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2018 1:30 AM

Well, you don't expect me to sit in economy class with them, do you? There's demons back there!

-- Mega-Pastor Kenneth Copeland

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2018 1:37 AM

Ah who cares where rich people and their children sit? It's their money.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2018 1:39 AM

Are you kidding R12? We care. We care a lot. If we weren't judging people we'd hardly know what to do with ourselves.

Or are you just defending them because they're rich?

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2018 1:42 AM

It’s OK as long as you also slip a few kiddie Xanaxes or Valiums to the precious little sweeties.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2018 1:43 AM

Most tween kids would appreciate feeling grown up enough to sit by themselves. It's not like their parents aren't just a few feet away from them, FFS. First world problem for damn sure.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2018 1:46 AM

10 and 12 year olds do not need a babysitter on a plane when their parents are 10-20 rows away. That’s absurd. If the parents are decent parents they’ll check on them regularly. If there’s trouble the FA can alert the parents. I’m middle class and hate the rich (I fly coach by default, it’s all I can afford) but this is a dumb thing to be outraged about. The rich bitch going on about “having something to aspire to” is gross, but I’m generally anti-spoiling kids. They don’t need to be right next to Mommy and Daddy at that age so they can do without. Like others have said, at that age you want distance and independence. Letting them experience how most people actually live is not a bad lesson.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2018 2:13 AM

I have a wealthy friend who took his family of 5 on vacation and flew them all (and a friend of his son's) first class Dallas to New York. When pressed why he paid all that extra money to have 4 kids up-front, he said he felt guilty being in first while they were in cattle. This is so fucked up on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2018 2:39 AM

[quote] This is so fucked up on so many levels.

I think your perspective is what's fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2018 11:59 AM

A cage with mylar blankets would be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2018 12:05 PM

My 12 yr old *is* a babysitter, she doesn’t need one. Kids of that age, especially if they are comfortable with flying, are perfectly capable of sitting by themselves. It’s a plane, where the fuck are they going to go?

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2018 12:22 PM

As long as they have the nanny with the brats to keep them quiet.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2018 12:27 PM

Not wanting to spoil the kid is complete bullshit.

The parents don't want to have to sit in coach (the horror!) and they don't want to pay the considerable expense of having all the kids fly first class too.

I mean whatever, I don't think it is cruel to the kids or whatever, but let's call a spade a spade.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2018 12:33 PM

Yeah it's just "reasoned article to excuse something I already do and make it sound more noble than selfish" content.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2018 12:46 PM

Nobody wants kids in first or even business class. Putting them in Economy is the right thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2018 12:47 PM

I flew business class back from the UK over the weekend... accompanied by three screaming two year olds.

Usually I am fairly tolerant about kids but trying sleeping through three screaming two year olds.

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2018 12:56 PM

I have to laugh at you cunts who are hysterical about the "horror" of these kids being apart from their parents for a couple of hours. What do you think they do at school? Have a babysitter all day? No, honey. That's a fucking teacher.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2018 1:10 PM

Won’t someone PLEASE think of the CHILDREN!!

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2018 1:57 PM

I have zero problem with 10 and 12 year olds sitting by themselves, assuming they have enough self control not to annoy the living hell out of everyone around them.

However...I was once on a flight where a mom of 3 kids (oldest looked about 9, youngest was no more than 4) sat in first and her kids were in coach. Across the aisle from, you guessed it, me. The oldest wasn’t so bad but the youngest two were little shits. By the time we landed it looked like a bomb had gone off in their seats. Cookie crumbs, half a sandwich, crayons, crumpled paper, spilled ice...and the mom got off the plane without bothering to come back and herd them along. The flight attendants were livid.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2018 2:07 PM

No, it’s horrible. Travel as a family ffs.

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2018 2:20 PM

When I used to work as a waiter in college, parents would always ask for crackers for their children. The children would take them and destroy them and leave the crumbs all over the place and the parents never batted an eye. It was basically a way to keep the kid occupied while they ate. And they never cleaned up or tried to clean up after the kids, just left the mess and usually an average tip, not a "thanks for cleaning up after my demon children" tip, either.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2018 2:20 PM

Absolutely, R13, if we didn't have someone else to judge we would have to look at the terrible, lonely, miserable lives we've created for ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2018 2:24 PM

They are, R29. They’re on the same plane.

What is wrong with some of you? Such hysteria, and neediness. Separation anxiety? Abandonment issues? Normal folks don’t react like this to something so mild. You act like these folks are stowing infants in the overhead compartment. A pair of tween can’t sit 100 feet away from their parents in the same space? Why on earth not? It’s a plane ride, not someone’s birthday party. Jesus, some of you are too delicate for words.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2018 2:26 PM

I think a kid is less likely to act up if the parent isn't around, so would rather sit near two 10 and 12 year olds in coach without their parents than next to them in first with their parents.

What do you Nervous Nellies think about kids who actually fly alone, without a parent on board?!

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2018 2:50 PM

R32, On top of that, most economy seats are equipped with touch screens. These kids are playing games, watching movies or listening to music. These kids are in their own world and wouldn’t know if you’re sitting next to them or sitting in first class.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2018 2:51 PM

What are airlines policy on kids sitting alone ? Surely the staff are not responsible for looking after them ? Isn’t that the parents job ?

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2018 3:03 PM

r35 an 8 - 12 year old needs no more looking after than any other passenger.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2018 3:06 PM

R35 Only if they’re traveling as unaccompanied minors, but that usually means they’re flying without a parent on board. As far as I know most airlines don’t have any rules about who can sit where. But I’m not up to speed on the fine points.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2018 3:09 PM

R35, what sort of “looking after” does a 12 year old need? Or an 8 year old for that matter. Are you imagining hourly bottles feedings and constant diaper checks? Kids that age on a plane need 1) something to distract them, like a tablet, games or books, 2) snacks, which are easily packed or available from the flight attendants like any passenger, and 3) a fastened seatbelt, which flight attendants also enforce along with every other passenger. If you’ll review that list objectively, you see that their needs are remarkably similar to adults on a plane. Does a 35 year old business traveler need a nanny to get through a flight? Neither does an 8 year old who’s only separating from the parent upon boarding, only seated a section away, can be checked up on at any time, is free to move about themselves, and will be reunited at the gate after arrival.

If you’re imagining that these kids need a constant disiplinarian/governess hovering over their every moment, this says a lot more about your own poor conceptions of kids than anything wrong with the parents or kids themselves.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2018 3:15 PM

Pssshhh, R31. I'm perfectly happy, and I'm judging the fuck out of you.

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2018 3:21 PM

I assumed R35 was talking more about really young kids, like 3 and 4 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2018 3:32 PM

It has fuck all with the brats needing mommy and daddy close by and everything to do with expecting people in economy class to babysit Kayd'n, Jayd'n and Aid'n and put up with their mess and tantrums. Of course the little bastards are going to take the chance to act up out of sight of mom and dad. Who's going to stop them from kicking seatbacks, squealing and spilling juice everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2018 3:43 PM

When the time comes these kids will put their parents in the cheapest, most run-down retirement homes.

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2018 3:45 PM

Exactly, R41.

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2018 3:48 PM

I was better behaved at 5 years old than most kids these days who are 11-12 years old. My parents were very strict.

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2018 4:06 PM

Can the tide be turning?

Are the heterosexuals now starting to brag about bucking the trend and NOT spoiling their kids rotten, instead of bragging about spoiling them rotten?

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2018 5:08 PM

r45, it's not a hetero/homosexual thing, it's a breeder thing.

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2018 5:33 PM

I understand the sentiment that kids should have something to aspire to, but the chances of them being as successful as their parents is small. Being a rich celebrity is more about luck than hard work or talent. And science backs that up.

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2018 5:36 PM

Maybe they are paying attention to the studies that show that new money only lasts 2 - 3 generations. Their grandkids and great grandkids will be flying coach with the rest of us unless their children are able to build wealth. Look at Lisa Marie Presley.

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2018 5:42 PM

R38 you need to calm the fuck down.

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2018 8:21 PM

Leaving their brats unsupervised where they can scream, cry and kick the back of my seat? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2018 8:33 PM

This is a red flag that they are sociopaths, no parental instinct, no empathy.

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2018 8:36 PM

Most of the people who have no problem with this are secretly happy that they won't have to have these brats in business class with them.

Let someone else deal with 'em. Just as long as I don't have to, right?

by Anonymousreply 52June 20, 2018 6:19 AM

1) the airlines don't have any policies requiring parents to sit next to minors because if they did, they'd have to offer them adjoining seats basically for free, and that would cut into their income from most parents, who are willing to pay for the privilege of sitting next to their little darlings to protect them from all those mean and predatory adults

2) what makes any of you think that those parents would take any action to supervise their kids or make them behave, even if they were sitting right next to them?

3) most kids over about age 10 are actually thrilled to get away from their parents, and will usually behave better when away from them. I see this all the time. They only get really rowdy when they're either with their parents or their friends.

by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2018 8:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!