Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Melania Trump makes statement on family separations as protests grow

This woman is full of shit always playing both sides of the fence, but in reality doing nothing.

The first lady "hopes both sides of the aisle can finally come together to achieve successful immigration reform," according to the statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 21, 2018 6:08 PM

“Mrs. Trump hates to see children separated from their families and hopes both sides of the aisle can finally come together to achieve successful immigration reform," according to a statement from her spokeswoman. "She believes we need to be a country that follows all laws, but also a country that governs with heart.”

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2018 11:04 PM

Hey she spoke out against her husband’s own policy. When’s the last time a First Lady did that?

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2018 11:07 PM

Melania is all lip service, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2018 11:13 PM

She doesn't even know that statement was put out.

Melania is completely checked out. She doesn't care about being first lady. She never even want to be in that position to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2018 11:23 PM

Trump said he doesn't want kids separated from their parents. Even though he loves this shit. He blamed the Democrats even though it's his policy. Always playing to the most negative part of his base.

Now he's threatening to veto any bill to solve this crisis unless Congress funds his fucking wall that will never be built. Besides, I thought Mexico was supposed to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2018 11:33 PM

R4: ITA. Melania did not make that statement or was forced to make it. She hates Trump and being first lady. Rumor has it that she was in the hospital for a nervous breakdown and she wants out of that marriage but is obligated (contracted) to stay while Turd is still president.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2018 11:41 PM

Someone who speaks on the level of "hoosbin beink veddy goot prezidon" and "lovink her conchy" is inarticulate and doesn't have the ability or vocabulary to language her statements as such: "on both sides of the aisle" and "achieve successful immigration reform." That phlegmatic statement likely came from none other than Kellyanne. And it taps dances around the real issue. It doesn't even address this crisis.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2018 11:42 PM

I am not even sure she really spoke up against her husband. Her both sides need to come together is a softer wording that the dems need to agree to pass the bill that is going to be presented by the party in charge and backed by the President.

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2018 11:49 PM

They caught Melania trying To get Michelle to write something for her so KellyAnne thought it best to put something out there

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2018 11:50 PM

Please don't president in upper case. It's incorrect in upper case unless it precedes the person's name. But in the case of Trump, please don't refer to him as the president. He's unworthy.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2018 11:52 PM

We'll never actually get to see the look on her face but I do wonder how she'll react when she finds out she said that.

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2018 11:53 PM

Feckless Cunt

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2018 11:55 PM

R10, what should we do when we see Him and He?

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2018 11:56 PM

I have serious mental health issues.

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2018 11:56 PM

^ sorry wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2018 11:58 PM

Have we even seen Melania since she silently attended the FEMA meeting in her trench coat? When is the last time anyone has even heard her speak?

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2018 12:09 AM

Melania is useless and Ivanka is clueless. And btw, where is stupid, insensitive, clueless Ivanka in all of this? Maybe hiding out after getting slammed for posting 'mommy and me' photos on Instagram amid this crisis.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2018 12:12 AM

I still do not understand why we as a nation are so up in arms about separating these children temporarily from their parents, the children can spend no more than 20 days in the detention centers?

Is is just because the Trump administration is in power?

These parents have committed a crime, if it is their first offense it is a misdemeanor, if it is their second or greater offense it is a felony. Not to mention, the reporting by various news organizations including the NYT, that DHS/ICE has determined that there is an upswing in people claiming that the children they are caught with are theirs, even when they have no relationship, because they believe it will result in them entering the US more easily.

We do not take children to actual jails for the crimes of their parents, and we do not give people special dispensation for other crimes just because they have children. There are hundreds if not thousands of American citizen children, including large numbers of minorities, who are separated from their parents everyday, some are even placed in foster care or group homes, when the parents are arrested for shoplifting, writing bad checks, driving without a license, possession of marijuana, trespassing, etc... But, I do not see people protesting that those children being separated from their parents is immoral. In fact, many say that separating a child from a criminal parent is the moral thing to do.

The fact is simple, if the parents were not breaking the law, they would not be separated from their children.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2018 12:20 AM

Thanks, R18 I was looking for a place to use my FF's

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2018 12:23 AM

Who cares what she thinks? I understand her stance because she still has to live with him and needs his financial support. But for that reason we shouldn't be hearing from her at all.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2018 12:25 AM

R19 Great block me, instead of engaging, but I honestly want to know, what makes illegal immigrants more privileged than others who are arrested for crimes.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2018 12:26 AM

They have not committed crimes. They have come seeking legal immigration but Trump knows Americans won't bother with details for brown people whether they are citizens in Puerto Rico or refugees.

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2018 12:29 AM

Applying for asylum is not a crime, R18. Where do you get your information? FauxNews?

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2018 12:29 AM

R23 People have lost their damn minds during the Trump eara.

No morals whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2018 12:32 AM

R23 Some apply for asylum, some do are not, but crossing the border without permission IS a crime, a misdemeanor for the first offense and a felony for the second or more times. You can apply for asylum at a port of entry, crossing the border outside of a point of entry is trying to evade the the legal process for asylum seekers.

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2018 12:35 AM

Keeeping families together

Except for Ivana’s

Except for Marla’s

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2018 12:39 AM

R25, when someone commits a misdemeanor, we grant them bail. We don't take their children away. And as noted above, many of these parents and children are here legally. Trump's policy provides no distinction. Your question was disingenuous and your views repugnant.

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2018 12:40 AM

Melania's statement was also disingenuous, since it implies, as her husband has also claimed, that Democrats are holding things up. This is Trump's decision and his alone. He can end it right now with a phone call.

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2018 12:42 AM

American parents who break the law are separated from their children. In Mexico, if you break the law, your kids might be separated from you and tortured.

The world is harsh. No matter who is in charge. The kids always suffer.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2018 12:43 AM

We don't know how many of these children were apprehended at ports of entry and how many at an illegal crossing, R18/25.

And then there is this:

[quote]The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights last week said the practice "amounts to arbitrary and unlawful interference in family life, and is a serious violation of the rights of the child".

To what benefit is this done R18/25? Because it will not deter illegal immigration.

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2018 12:44 AM

Oh ok I’m sorry, I read about this on the bbc news app and they appear to have gotten the story completely wrong, as they often do with matters of foreign policy.

Then I went to the NYT and saw what she was actually doing was echoing Cheeto’s false claim that the democrats are as much to blame for a policy that’s purely his.

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2018 12:45 AM

“foreign policy” = “American politics”

Lol!

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2018 12:46 AM

I would also like to add that R18/R25 is "why we lost."

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2018 12:47 AM

R27 many poor people cannot afford bail and therefore separated from their children. Or have you forgotten about the conversations regarding over criminalization that accompanied Ferguson?

R30 I'm sorry, but I cannot accept any criticism from the UN as morally valid, as long as they allow brutal regimes to serve on the Human Right Committee.

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2018 12:49 AM

[quote]American parents who break the law are separated from their children.

Only when they are given a proper trial and judged guilty. These haven't been.

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2018 12:52 AM

[quote]many poor people cannot afford bail and therefore separated from their children.

So? That changes nothing. Again, many of these are people who are here legally, following the proper procedures. Trump's policies don't distinguish between the two.

[quote]I cannot accept any criticism from the UN as morally valid

In other words, you're a fool. This is also a practice prohibited by treaties which the U.S. has signed.

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2018 12:53 AM

I hope Melanie's plastic jugs explode every time she opens her slut mouth. It never happens though.

by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2018 12:58 AM

Since there are so many bible quotes being thrown around in the debate over this policy I’ll feel comfortable throwing another in.

[quote] Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

We have created instability in the name of state-craft south of us since the Monroe Doctrine. We brought poor Central Americans here in the 80s for humanitarian reasons and failed to bring them into the melting pot and they formed gangs. We then sent them home after the humanitarian crisis was over, exporting our urban gang culture to their countries.

We are not a bad nor blameless people, and the migrants’ nations are neither bad nor blameless, however we are all reaping what we sowed and I fear this new, fresh hell of hate we’re throwing at these poor kids will leave thousands of adults, south of our border, with PTSD and a grudge against us in twenty years. We continue to sow...

by Anonymousreply 38June 18, 2018 1:23 AM

From another thread: Wyeth Ruthven June 14 at 9:57pm

So, I did immigration casework for Senator Fritz Hollings, studied immigration law at law school under a former INS general counsel, and worked for a border Congressman in the district that included the Rio Grande Valley. So hear me out:

1. These people in detention have not committed a crime.

2. I don't mean that in a moral or a figurative sense. I mean literally. It is NOT a crime to ask for asylum.

3. These people didn't jump a fence, they didn't sneak into the back yard. They are knocking on the front door and saying "People are trying to kill me in my home country, will you let me in?"

4. Now, I didn't fall off the turnip truck. Some of these people are lying. That's why you have a hearing. And because they might wander off, these people are held in detention until the hearing.

5. This hearing is NOT in a criminal court. It's in an immigration court. Because these people have not committed a crime.

6. Immigration court is not like criminal court. You don't have a right to an attorney.

7. So these people are waiting around, separated from their children, with no attorney, until they get a hearing.

8. In 2015, the median wait for an immigration hearing was 404 days.

9. Here's where it gets even more twisted.

10. If people plead guilty to asylum fraud, they get their kids back and get deported.

11. So these people knock on the front door, which is perfectly legal, and we take their kids, and tell them the quickest way to get them back is to confess.

12. If someone committed a crime - shoplifting, armed robbery, murder - and you took their kids away to make them confess, that confession would be thrown out.

13. But these confessions are lawful, because this isn't criminal court.

14. Because these people haven't committed a crime.

15. Now some people think that if we make it so unpleasant for these people, they will stop trying to cross the border.

16. But the message this sends isn't "Go Home." The message it sends is "Sneak in."

17. If they go home, they think they will be murdered. If they request asylum, they are separated from their children.

18. If they sneak in successfully, they're safe. If they sneak in and get caught, they are no worse off than if they sought asylum legally.

19. And remember, these people haven't committed a crime.

by Anonymousreply 39June 18, 2018 1:23 AM

Waiting for Ivanka to weigh in. I'm sure it'll be any minute now being the senior adviser in The White House. She's so concerned about women and children, you know.

by Anonymousreply 40June 18, 2018 1:24 AM

R13. His last name is sufficient. Or the current occupant. Fucking asshole. Fraud. Criminal. Douchebag. Anything but president.

by Anonymousreply 41June 18, 2018 1:26 AM

[R18] It’s called compassion for the children.

There are two other aspects to this situation.

In law, as in parenting, there is no black & white. There are shades of grey. If it were only b&w no one who has been caught speeding would ever be fined only for parking on a roadway and a DWI would never ever be turned into a DUI.

And, if you ever want to create a generation of messed up people intent on violence and give them a rallying cry be sure to traumatize them as children and take them away from their parents. Children separated from their parents never recover, according to the AMA. We have seen it in other countries (think Iraq, Syria). It’s not too hard to imagine someone who was traumatized as a child creating a group to take down the government for what they did to their mom and being forced to live in a cage.

by Anonymousreply 42June 18, 2018 2:49 AM

As an fyi, according to MSNBC this past week, most of the children separated from their parents are from Central and South America, they are not from Mexico. Only a small percentage are Mexicans. MSNBC also reported that about 200 or so of the young children/mothers are from Brazil and only speak Portuguese. And since there were no translators (only Spanish-speaking translators were available) it resulted in a number of problems, mishaps and even a few tragedies.

To add: they were fleeing their country from rape, torture and violence, running for their lives and the safety of their children. They were not illegals sneaking into the country and breaking the law. There is no valid excuse for separating these children and parents. It is, essentially, kidnapping. This administration is run by a bunch of sadistic criminal thugs. No question about it.

by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2018 3:07 AM

Melania's statement is as useless as she is.

by Anonymousreply 44June 18, 2018 3:22 AM

^ True. And it's not even her statement. Some WH "official" just said that it was.

by Anonymousreply 45June 18, 2018 3:30 AM

[quote]American parents who break the law are separated from their children.

Not for a fucking traffic violation, which is the equivalent of these malfactions.. You're a god damned troll and deserve to die in the desert

by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2018 3:32 AM

^ What R43 said.

by Anonymousreply 47June 18, 2018 3:35 AM

Even separating young children from outlaw parents is still criminal. And these are not those cases

by Anonymousreply 48June 18, 2018 4:12 AM

Will their crotchfruit be banished to a tent city when the breeder and his sow wknd up in prison?

by Anonymousreply 49June 18, 2018 4:17 AM

Crossing into the US without documentation is a CIVIL violation R25, not criminal. We have criminal law and civil law. Immigration is in the civil law book. And asylum seekers are not and never have entered the country. They present themselves at the border and go straight to detention. Then they plead their case. This process can take years. Please watch real news.

by Anonymousreply 50June 18, 2018 4:42 AM

Terrified and fearing for their lives, they are fleeing the Northern Triangle region, the most dangerous area of Central America, only to arrive here and unknowingly have their children taken away. For seeking asylum. Not for breaking the law and doing anything illegal, but for seeking asylum. They don't know that the children will be taken away until they arrive and it actually happens.

The article also states that all women, children and LGBTQ people are unsafe in the Northern Triangle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 18, 2018 4:49 AM

Poor girl......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 20, 2018 7:57 PM

Trump just signed the orders to stop the separation....

by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2018 7:58 PM

The Wash Post is giving Melania some of the credit for getting Trump to sign the executive order. They don't mention Ivanka - but say Melania had plenty to say to him.

by Anonymousreply 54June 20, 2018 7:59 PM

The executive order he signed doesn't rescind his policy and what he's proposing is illegal, in direct violation of the Flores agreement. Josh Marshall, over at TPM, has what I think is an accurate take on this:

[quote]The President says he’s signing an executive order to end family separations. The actual aim seems to be to pick a fight with the courts and allow separations to continue while blaming judges. According to The New York Times, the President will sign an executive order allowing children to be detained indefinitely with their parents. The problem is that that violates a 1997 consent decree saying that you can’t detain/imprison children for more than 20 days (technically what’s currently happening isn’t detention). It straight up violates that order. So what will almost inevitably happen is that a court will step in, say you can’t do that and then Trump will announce that the judge is forcing him to keep separating families.

by Anonymousreply 55June 20, 2018 8:03 PM

[quote]Some apply for asylum, some do are not, but crossing the border without permission IS a crime

Actually, it's not. The asylum law explicitly allows for the scenario of people not convenient to a given port of entry. They are allowed to enter anywhere on the condition that they turn themselves in and ask for asylum.

[quote]crossing the border outside of a point of entry is trying to evade the the legal process for asylum seekers.

Maybe you should read up on this before you expound further on something you don't know anything about?

by Anonymousreply 56June 20, 2018 8:05 PM

There no way for people NOT to understand Trump’s message and why he’s treating children like animals. In his view brown people are “infesting” our country and are “rapists” and “animals”.

Let’s not forget the real reason for this policy change. Trump is not trying to solve the problem of illegal immigration. This is just his way of showing his base that asylum seekers and illegal immigrants are worthless in his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 57June 20, 2018 8:13 PM

They turned themselves in at the border and asked for asylum. They were not sneaking in or doing anything illegal--that's a lie.

No matter how the emotionally crippled asshole deplorables spin it, this practice was cruel and there was no valid justification for taking their children away. Not too mention, also providing the perfect environment for pedophiles. Many of the deplorables who think this was okay are pedophiles.

As far as Trump putting a stop to this cruel practice today, fine, great, but the damage is done. And the parents still have no way to track where their children are. They don't even have a starting point. They don't have their children back and may not see them again. Many may never be reunited. The ones who do return will never be the same. Irreversible damage has already occurred.

by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2018 8:21 PM

Shocking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2018 9:01 PM

And do they even have enough of a record to know who to return those children too? This is going to be more chaos. The press cannot let up now!

by Anonymousreply 60June 20, 2018 9:56 PM

^ No, no method of tracking whatsoever.

Like I said in my previous post, 'gone, without a trace' is what this is going to end up being. IMO, only a small percentage will be returned, which they will about.

by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2018 10:33 PM

^ which they will *lie* about

by Anonymousreply 62June 20, 2018 10:34 PM

🤣 from Lindsey Graham:

Great to see the @FLOTUS on the ground in Texas getting a first-hand assessment of the family separation issue.

She represents our country so well and has had great influence on this very difficult issue.

Strong borders, tough laws and a good heart are not mutually exclusive

by Anonymousreply 63June 21, 2018 4:46 PM

Miss Lindsey is a huge piece of SHIT

by Anonymousreply 64June 21, 2018 4:49 PM

Just what we need a feckless whore who barely speaks English for a first-hand assessment. Really Lindsey? What do they have on you? Do you get to be Pence's running mate? You luck like Chris Christie with your tongue that far up Twitler's ass.

by Anonymousreply 65June 21, 2018 4:51 PM

Just saw her on TV.

Her hair looks extremely thin.

Chemo?

by Anonymousreply 66June 21, 2018 6:06 PM

There is no way that is real hair. It is extremely humid in the Valley right now. If it were real hair it would look differently.

by Anonymousreply 67June 21, 2018 6:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!