Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bay Area doctor suspended for accusing patient of coming to the ER to score drugs

What say you, Datalounge? Was she completely out of bounds or does the kid have a drug problem and daddy is in denial (read the article as well as watch the video).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2018 6:58 PM

This is not AT ALL unusual.

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2018 2:13 PM

Beautiful woman!

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2018 2:14 PM

R1- what isn't? The doctor's behavior or the klonopin abuse by teenagers?

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2018 2:19 PM

R1 I'm nor sure how to interpret your comment. The patient's father is with him and is vouching for his son's medical problems. Are you saying the patient/dad were faking it and the doctor was correct to be so skeptical and accusatory?

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2018 2:25 PM

Oh for fucks sake, just give him what wants and get him out of there for folks who are really sick. This patient is not worth her time and effort.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2018 2:25 PM

I read the article. Why didn't the father go pick up the prescription for the son and give him some klonopin? The doctor's obviously an ogre, but the father's story doesn't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2018 2:27 PM

Team Roz all the way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2018 2:29 PM

I like how Dr. Front Gunt took charge. Probably a beast between the sheets.

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2018 2:30 PM

Imagine getting a prostate exam from Dr. Ballbuster.

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2018 2:32 PM

OK. We get the joke generally. The Dr. is a Butch. That's the only reason this appears here at all.

There's no there there in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2018 2:34 PM

R1 here. Both! A good 5-25% of ER visits in my major metro flyover city are related to mental health /substance abuse concerns. (The % goes up weekends and late at night) Half of those are drug seekers with various tales of woe that clog up the system. These folks had an existing RX available. In an ER world they should never have come to the hospital. One of the scams, since these RX's are monitored, is to go to the ER in an emergency, preferably when out of town. " I left my pills at home can I just have 3-5-10 until I get home, this is an emergency." When you hear that twice a week you begin to wonder. Also: why is it that the only medication that EVER gets lost or stolen is a controlled substance. Also many parents are clueless as to their own child's use and abuse and expect an ER to be nothing more than a medical MC Donald's. ER's are more like airports and police stations. One of the few places that play by their own rules and expect you to follow them as well. Even if you have no idea what those rules are

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2018 2:37 PM

This might be a racial incident plus she was extremely rude. Glad she was let go. If this is the norm, Dog help us all.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2018 2:38 PM

So the doctor’s bedside manner is common in ERs when patient is in pain?

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2018 2:40 PM

Discrimination against fugs. Lady Doc coulda, woulda, shoulda exercised more sensitivity while shutting the whiny little dopester and his enabling daddy down.

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2018 2:43 PM

She looks scary ascshit.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2018 2:43 PM

Didn’t super fatty Stephen Assante try the trick to get drugs all the time? What’s so different between this and DrNow?

by Anonymousreply 16June 17, 2018 2:52 PM

The son and dad's story is hinky - as others said, why not pick up the Rx rather than go to the ER? But the doctor is an idiot. Yes, a significant portion of people she sees are probably looking to score drugs. She can either give them a single pill then boot them out or not, but it's stupid to lecture them, berate them, and generally behave like an unprofessional idiot. Doctors shouldn't be allowed to lose their cool and mistreat people because they're having a bad day or frustrated any more than other people can do that while at work. Yes, sometimes you have to deal with asshats at work, that's what you're paid for.

by Anonymousreply 17June 17, 2018 2:53 PM

I hate these half videos - nobody knows what happened before. She should be written up for her language and demeanor, but she's not incorrect. This is an ER. They sound like they complained they had to wait so long - and she was right, other people were dying.

The kid was really hamming it up - he couldn't lift his arms? Bullshit. Anxiety attack after basketball practice? Dunno about that either.

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2018 2:55 PM

I'm on Dr Dumptruck's side.

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2018 3:03 PM

r1 here. Another example of what we deal with. 50-ish fellow, business owner. At least once a month he would call the police while drunk threatening suicide/homicide. The cops would drag him to the ER for evaluation. Once in the ER his belligerence, verbal and physical, would increase until he he would need to be restrained and medicated. The next morning he would be just fine..." I should quit drinking." During his third visit, while swinging a heavy buckled belt at the staff the guards had had enough. Three of them tased him until he went down. Of course this resulted in a mild heart attack, lawsuit by said fuckwad, and disciplinary action /retraining for security staff. The man suicided by cop several months later. From a triage/health care perspective this guy monopolized our time and attention and slowed down the critical care for those with a true medical need.

by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2018 3:46 PM

It’s a slippery slope. If an ER caves once, the addicts will be lining up wit their stories of woe. I empathize with the doc. Having been in an ER twice with serious medical issues while listening to some 20-something girl crying crocodile tears and screaming at staff that she needs pills, I think ERs need to be zero tolerance to prevent these poor souls from turning them into addiction centers.

by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2018 3:52 PM

I've been punched in the face by one patient and kicked in the gut by another. Real tired of trying to help the sick. Pushing Narcan and then hearing "You ruined my high!" Repeat visits. 42 visits in 3 months. Some will give me an order, like at McDonalds "Only Dilaudid works for me." All along we are being told reimbursement depends upon patient satisfaction. Remember one dad yelling because of his long wait for his son with an earache while we were coding two toddlers-one died. You tell me how to make everyone happy while I'm trying to help the authentic patient with an MI or stroke?

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2018 3:59 PM

Did "panic attacks" even exist 50 years ago or are they a modern invention like ADHD etc.? So many diagnoses today seem like complete bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2018 4:13 PM

Surprised the race card hasn't been dealt yet.

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2018 4:21 PM

Well I'll go ahead and play it. The white middle class are the worst for outrage, entitlement, and complete lack of shame at their own behavior.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2018 7:29 PM

the doctor was a cunt, she should have given him a pill and sent him home. glad she was suspended. if i was sick, i'd get sicker just by looking at her.

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2018 7:42 PM

i get nurse jackie vibes from her

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2018 7:44 PM

No, the doctor is not a cunt. He is a perfectly healthy 20 year old wasting her fucking time while she has a waiting room of people actually sick. "I can't inhale, " asshole, if you couldn't inhale, you wouldn't be able to say that. The creep wanted drugs and she wasn't having it. Reinstate the doctor and sends these daddy shit and shit junior a HUGE fucking bill and ban them from the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2018 2:40 AM

"butchie" lol

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2018 2:43 AM

She should have just sent him over the edge into cardiac arrest like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2018 2:50 AM

Welcome to the new Prohibition... if one of your limbs isn't falling off, you won't get pain or anxiety meds, you will be shamed and ridiculed by know-it-all cunts basking in moral superiority.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2018 2:51 AM

I read “Bea Arthur’s doctor...”

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2018 2:55 AM

R31, he was not in pain and he did not have anxiety (which he claimed). Trust me, there are involuntary responses that would have indicated that either were present, doctors and nurses ask specific questions and do specific things to test whether not what the patient is claiming is true (for example, to test if someone is truly unconscious, the doctor will lift the person's arm over the patient's face, a truly unconscious person will hit their face, the person feigning unconsciousness never does), and they have seen it all, many times, and can see indicators of a condition a mile away that the public has no clue about.

The hospital should sue these creeps.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2018 3:03 AM

R31 has it right. I have a disabled relative who is in chronic daily pain. I went with her to her latest doctor visit. She was waiting for a treatment in a few days, the doctor knew it, and she was in severe pain. He did not want to give her anything. Not even a sleeping pill, when she had been unable to sleep all night for a couple of weeks due to pain. This is a person who can prove she’s not faking by showing an x-ray. The doctor acted like she was a strung out junkie asking for drugs. To the point that it was really insulting.

He even told her Naproxin was too strong for her. Over the counter Naproxin you can buy at Walmart without a prescription. That’s ridiculous. Sure, a twenty year old in perfect health might be lying. But why take it out on people you know damn well are really sick?

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2018 3:05 AM

Like R22 I have been attacked by drug using patients.

However, this doctor could have easily looked up the patient's controlled substance history through I-STOP online or calling the pharmacy and confirming whether pt has a Klonopin rx waiting. Benzo withdrawal can be life-threatening. If the pt made up a story about having a Klonnopin rx, gently confront and perhaps give the pt a 3 day Librium taper - addicts don't particularly like the long-acting Librium with a referral to the local mental health clinic/detox.

Also you can give NSAID's for pain rather than ignoring it or mocking it. I avoid maltreating patients in this manner as 1) it is disrespectful 2) can cause professional harm 3)can lead to a bad outcome (withdrawal seizures from Klonopin withdrawal for example) 4) can cause pt to get enraged and hit me

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2018 3:22 AM

R34 No XRAY can be used as "evidence" of pain. Most folks over the age of 50 have some level of spinal dysfunction/disc disease and most do not experience chronic intractable back pain even though their XRAYs show disc disease, etc. Waving an XRAY at a doctor while demanding opiates is not the way to go.

If a patient is on opiates, typically they go to the pain clinic monthly, get a urine drug screen and if negative can get their month's supply. Your story is strange - what does "treatment in a few days" mean? Most MDs now will not dispense opiates to patients with chronic pain unless they are on a pain management plan. Monthly visits, drug screens, no early refills.

Currently MD's have been directed at the federal and state level to stop rxing opiates for back pain/strains etc. Pts are being tapered down. The vast majority of those with severe chronic pain are on Medicaid. Medicaid will no longer cover continuing rx's for opiates now.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2018 3:30 AM

I agree with R28 and R33.

I feel sorry for this doctor. ER staff have life-and-death jobs, which they carry out with limited time and resources, and I can see how someone might lose their cool when dealing with an obvious malingerer.

I'm also afraid, in our appearance- and performance-obsessed culture, that her butchness and her weight will make her unsympathetic to the average viewer of this video.

R24, you spoke too soon: The race card has been dealt. When I googled the story, I got a "racist doctor" headline. I didn't even know this guy was black (?) until that point.

Everyone is so afraid of social media and SJW mobs these days that I have no doubt her employer will throw her under the bus.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2018 3:57 AM

id be more sympathetic to the dr. if she had looked up patients RX like R35 wrote. She was being a raging cunt.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2018 4:07 AM

Entitled druggie millennial brat. I hope she doesn't lose her job over this bullshit

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2018 4:19 AM

[quote]This is a person who can prove she’s not faking by showing an x-ray.

And that’s when I knew r34’s story was bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2018 4:23 AM

the doctor needed a klonopin more than the patient

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2018 4:30 AM

The hospital could really have done itself a big favor by supporting the doctor. It'd send a message that all the local drug seekers, pillheads, addicts, and junkies should go elsewhere, thereby freeing up the doctors and nurses of the ER to actually treat sick people.

Why, they could even make it an advertising point - claim to be the hospital that doesn't leave you waiting while your doctor listens to some asshole malinger and demand controlled substances.

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2018 7:46 AM

The patient, who in the ABC network interview revealed that he told his father in advance to record the encounter, then baited the Dr. during the exam by being uncooperative and insolent. Now they are talking lawsuit. What a surprise !

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2018 7:58 PM

This thing is blowing up the internet & lots of juicy facts:

The Doctor is a lesbian, a white butch lesbian Patient is black, father is black

Drugs element.

Who will the left in the SFBA side with? WHITE LESBIAN DOCTOR? Prob not, white is seen as “bad” these days by the white left.

Black people? YES, this is where the sympathies lie! Black people are ALWAYS innocent these days in the eyes of white progressives.

🍿🍿🍿

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2018 8:24 PM

@ R35 . I didn't see any evidence that the doctor was skeptical that the patient had a klonopin prescription. The patient reported that he forgot to fill it. Since he has an existing prescription his father could simply use his phone to order the refill or set up an appointment with the patient's primary MD if they wanted to change the treatment.

The ER doctor's responsibility is to treat what is happening now. After the three hour wait, if the patient presents with normal vital signs then there is nothing to treat. The son and father then specifically ask for something for pain. Since they clearly have the means to have access to otc meds she is acting responsibly by asking if they are looking for a narcotic.

I see a busy, tired ER doctor who is understandably exasperated by an asymptomatic young man's limited cooperation. That father and son had the phone recording during the episode raises serious questions about their own motives.

by Anonymousreply 45June 20, 2018 12:54 PM

Her whole demeanor says "Bitch, please you ain't sick. Sick in the head is what you is"

by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2018 6:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!