Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

keto diet- anyone experienced

I've been doing it for less than a week and feel so much better than a week ago. The keto coffee is amazing. Any advice or tips? What do you do when you want to eat something sweet?

by Anonymousreply 111December 30, 2018 5:55 PM

Good for you. Was Keto for two years. Now vegan for one month thus far.

by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2018 4:08 AM

Oh, and for something sweet: granny smith apples, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or blackberries. These are the lowest carb fruit.

by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2018 4:09 AM

Sweet: Naked Choc PB powder, unsweetened hemp milk, keto friendly sweetener to taste. Whip it up and it's a high protein pudding!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2018 4:21 AM

A couple of simple sweets that I allow myself: soften some cream cheese and add a bit of lemon juice, then a bit of stevia, and mix it until smooth. It's like cheesecake batter. And a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter (I prefer crunchy) mixed with lots of cinnamon and a bit of stevia. I had to start really focusing on cooking for myself and packing my lunch when I started avoiding carbohydrates. I found that what worked best for me was whipping up a lot of "hors d'oeuvres" to keep on hand in the fridge: deviled eggs, salami roll-ups with cream cheese, little cubes of various cheeses, olives and different kinds of pickles: stuff like that. And I'd just pack two or three little Tupperware type containers so I had a variety of tastes and textures for meals.

by Anonymousreply 4June 14, 2018 4:46 AM

Come back to us, OP. Come back. You know you want to.

by Anonymousreply 5June 14, 2018 7:57 AM

Hum, the right snacks already made sitting in the fridge, a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 6June 14, 2018 8:02 AM

After about two weeks you lose the sweet cravings.

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2018 9:09 AM

Curious as well.

by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2018 9:10 AM

I did it religiously for a couple of months. I lost the weight I wanted to lose and I felt great.

However, diets are easy for me to do, because fortunately I don't have a lot of cravings.

And even though I'm back to a more normal way of eating, I now eat less carbs than I did before.

But: no matter what the hype says, I just don't think a strict keto diet is healthy in the long run.

Vegetables, fruit....they're full of vitamins and micro nutrients that do us good and I don't believe in restricting them. I think keto is great for losing weight quickly, but I wouldn't want to do it as a lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 9June 14, 2018 10:06 AM

Did not work for me following new Atkins. The rate of weight loss was glacial.

I switched almost all protein shakes during the week and eating what I want on weekends and it’s worked much better.

by Anonymousreply 10June 14, 2018 2:42 PM

How would this diet work for a bodybuilder?

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2018 3:58 AM

I don't think it's meant for bodybuilding. But fitness model it would be good

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2018 4:19 AM

I’m trying to get back on low carb/Keto right now and it’s a bitch. I just want a damn ice cream right now. FUUUUCCCKKKK.

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2018 8:02 PM

I'm going through something similar, r13. And last night, I did have the ice cream. Plus blueberry pie. I am not sure I want to do keto. I don't want to eat so much meat.

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2018 8:06 PM

The keto diet is unhealthy and famously poor at delivering long-term results.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2018 8:23 PM

Why "unhealthy," r15?

by Anonymousreply 16June 17, 2018 8:26 PM

Tried it for about a week and a half. Got a headache and cranky. It was working but the weight bounced back as soon I quit.

by Anonymousreply 17June 17, 2018 8:29 PM

Well, it is basically mimicking the effect of starvation on your body. Also, heavy meat consumption has its own set of issues, like loading your body up with antibiotics. I could be wrong, but I don't think medical professionals really recommend keto.

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2018 8:31 PM

Right now over by me, we've got beautiful cherries, apricots, peas, melons, fresh beans... at our farmer's market.

I just think it's healthier filling up on those rather than butter, bacon and lard.

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2018 8:42 PM

Americans, and American men in particular, already get too much protein in their diet. It seems kind of nutty to go on a diet that has you consume even more.

by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2018 8:52 PM

If you give in and have all the artificial sweetener, you may backslide. You’re reinforcing the sweet craving.

Eat a pickle instead.

by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2018 8:59 PM

I never eat artificial sweetener. If I 'backslide,' it will be with the good stuff. The real stuff.

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2018 9:04 PM

What does any of you think of this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2018 9:05 PM

R15/R18 It can be so long as one doesn't get too fanatical about it, and is taking the recommendations regarding fats. The fat is key, not just the protein. I do it to prevent seizures, not to lose weight. It has been demonstrated to work for even some of the worst cases in children with epilepsy. I only have had one every 8-12 months now! MCT's like coconut oil are invaluable when eating this way, and fatty fish (even for breakfast) has helped me greatly. I never had a sweet tooth, but sometimes wish I could eat more pasta, bread, and crackers. Sweet dusted mixed nuts are a favourite snack if I want something a bit sweet.

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2018 9:14 PM

[quote] Sweet dusted mixed nuts

Which are what, pray tell.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2018 11:02 PM

I went 180 to 130 on keto, but now I’m vegan now. You can be vegan keto, but what would I eat? I need to look into it.

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2018 11:06 PM

R19, you can eat green beans doing low carb. Plus they taste good with bacon!

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2018 11:07 PM

Yes indeed R27! And a bit of bacon grease as well... All beans are safe complex carbs, and the fibre + protein slows the insulin reaction. Very low on glycemic index.

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2018 11:09 PM

Can someone explain it to me- googled it and very little apart from what to eat.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2018 11:15 PM

Older people who do the keto diet and lose a lot of weight fast don't look too good in the face. But I guess they've got a good looking ass.

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2018 11:15 PM

R29 Basic ratio:

60-75% fats

15-30% protein

5-10% Carbs

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2018 11:33 PM

We have a friend couple that is on the keto diet together.

Its really, to them, just a more reasonable way of losing weight for summer (onto fall+ if possible). There's no vocal intentions to stay on it, and they've been polite about requirements for our (usually dinner + D&D) gatherings.

It appears to be working so far, in their appearance.

They still don't want to be stuck on a potentially harmful set diet.

Personally, I just hope this isn't the start of them becoming middle-aged (they're 30s currently) married losers being fixated on mundane and constantly incorrect middle-class trends. You know, those diets, those vacations, blahhhh. Oh wait, they're going on a cruise next year. Nevermind! At least embracing it will be healthier for them than acting in faux ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2018 11:40 PM

R14 You can actually do vegetarian Keto. It’s not mandatory to eat lots of meat on a Keto diet, the most important thing is eating enough fat to stay satisfied. If you want some good vegetarian Keto recipes there is a vegetarian Keto reddit that is super helpful.

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2018 2:29 AM

Im thinking of trying this to quit smoking. Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2018 3:43 AM

You made me laugh R34! It has certainly not been proven to be efficacious for that! Trust me, as I still smoke!

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2018 3:53 AM

Do your "friends" r32 know how you really feel about them.

I suspect not. But if you had the balls to tell them, you wouldn't have to worry about what to serve them for dinner. Not ever.

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2018 3:55 AM

I started Keto in November. I was at 231 when I started and went down to 203 in mid May. I have been off of it for a couple of months and presently back up to 216. Keto works but I did just have my blood work down and my cholesterol is off the charts. I am not moving into the direction of a low carb low fat diet and see if mt blood test results improve.

by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2018 4:01 AM

Would keto help if you're trying to gain muscle? I have a smallish build and even though I get exercise I can't seem to gain muscle. I know I'll never get ripped the way some guys do but I'd like to get toned.

by Anonymousreply 38June 18, 2018 4:11 AM

R38, You have to consume those protein smoothie drinks. My daughter drinks those after she works out to build muscle and it works. Go to a health/vitamin store and ask. All you need is a blender, the powder, a banana and some soy milk.

by Anonymousreply 39June 18, 2018 4:46 AM

I am type 2 diabetic. Would keto be possible for me?

by Anonymousreply 40June 18, 2018 4:50 AM

It improved the odor of my pussy.

by Anonymousreply 41June 18, 2018 6:03 AM

R41 check out Dr Jason Fung's videos on you tube regarding reversing diabetes. Also Dr Gabriel Cousins has a protocol that is raw vegan that works to reverse diabetes. Or you can try Dr. Perricone's anti inflammatory diet. All of these work to control blood sugar, you have to go with what works best for you.

by Anonymousreply 42June 18, 2018 6:14 AM

R40 I would certainly be skipping grains and other carbs if I were you. American dietitians still tell diabetics to eat oatmeal for breakfast, and allow many unnecessary high glycemic index foods. I would eat eggs or fish in the morning if I were you, and lay off even whole-grain bread. Beans should become your new favourite carb and tonnes of veg.

by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2018 6:20 AM

R36 I expected a response like that. They do know that I consider them on the path to boring suburbanites, yes. And they embrace it to an extent. They're getting their third cat soon (or already did, I forget), jokingly admonishing themselves about going googoogaagaa at babies lately while they're talking about having one, etc. They may become losers I'd not want to be, but that'd still be the sort of loser I wouldn't mind becoming (could be far worse!). We've always been kind to each other, despite what you may have gathered from my 'losers' comment.

I am jealous of their cruise until I remember that I can't swim and I get sea sick.

by Anonymousreply 44June 18, 2018 6:40 AM

When you are on a cruise you are not the one swimming unless you use the pool which is easy to avoid if you look where you're going.

by Anonymousreply 45June 18, 2018 6:44 AM

Then why do they all have them in life jackets? And movies always have people on cruises swim: Speed 2: Cruise Control, Titanic, Ghost Ship.

by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2018 8:12 AM

R40, the ketogenic diet is excellent for Type 2 diabetics. I’ve been keto for two years to try to avoid the diabetes that runs in my family, and to eliminate the belly fat that seems to trigger it.

On the keto subreddit, people routinely report that they’ve reversed their T2D. It makes sense because the goal is to stabilize blood sugar and the release of insulin.

by Anonymousreply 47June 18, 2018 9:59 AM

[Quote]It improved the odor of my pussy.

Cheryl, nothing short of a "rip and replace" approach would fix that foul stench.

by Anonymousreply 48June 18, 2018 10:10 AM

Is it necessary to eat fats? I'm 6' and weigh 196 pounds. I'm interested in burning off some fat on my waist and tummy. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 49June 18, 2018 10:53 AM

Diabetic also. I just received an e-mail from someone at dietdoctor.com stating that "beans and oatmeal are not part of a low-carb diet." Yet last week, they sent me a video from a doctor in England called "The Truth about Carbs," in which he studies their impact on diabetes and obesity. He recommends "porridge" for breakfast. Isn't that at least very similar to oatmeal?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 18, 2018 11:03 AM

"quote'I’m trying to get back on low carb/Keto right now and it’s a bitch. I just want a damn ice cream right now. FUUUUCCCKKKK.

Breyers has a series of low carb ice creams. And Klondike has no sugar added squares.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 18, 2018 11:54 AM

These are great too...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 18, 2018 11:55 AM

On keto one Klondyke bar would be your entire carb amount for one day or almost. Pure keto eaters are allowed 25 carbs a day. the bar is 22.

by Anonymousreply 53June 18, 2018 10:41 PM

R49, it is necessary to eat fats. It’s what your body uses for fuel, once it becomes accustomed to using fat for fuel. Eating lots of (good) fat will not make you fat. It won’t.

Whatever, you can look it up. My husband didn’t believe me, and 18 months later he finally believed it. Six months later, he’s lost 25 lbs and fitter than when we met 20 years ago. Eating bacon and Swiss omelettes, cobb salad, butter on everything. It’s paradoxical.

by Anonymousreply 54June 18, 2018 10:52 PM

I posted upthread, but I'll elaborate. I was much too heavy, and I was finally diagnosed as borderline-diabetic. I didn't want to become a full-blown diabetic. Believe me, it becomes a huge factor in obtaining individual or long-term care insurance, not to mention all the physical problems associated with it. I've always been a good cook, but I had gotten lazy and preoccupied, and was eating too much fast food, sandwiches and pastas. Once I started paying attention and taking control of my diet, I started planning my meals, and made sure the fridge was full of things I liked eating that weren't laden with carbohydrates. It's not necessarily more protein, but things like healthy oils (mainly olive oil for me), and a variety of fruits and vegetables. Another thing to keep in mind: fruits have been hybridized so that they're often huge and full of sugar (even if it's healthier types of sugar). I love Honeycrisp apples, when they're in season. But I only allow myself half of one per day, and wrap up the other half to eat the next day.

I used to be quite fat. I've gone from 280 lbs down to 220, and I'm still losing weight (slowly). I haven't added an exercise regimen (yet): I just changed my diet. I don't feel hungry or deprived. I expect to eventually get back to my ideal weight (170 lbs), but I'm not trying to rush things. All of my blood work shows my blood sugar and other readings have greatly improved. My hips, knees and ankles don't hurt the way they used to. I've given away most of my 'fat' clothes. It's painful to admit to being fat here on DL, but maybe someone can benefit.

BTW, R54 is correct about the need for fats. The US has become very fat-phobic. Fats are very important for brain health. Seriously. I watched my Dad die from Alzheimer's disease. The great cookbook author Paula Wolfert has written about how she's changed her diet to include healthy fats to try to reverse her advancing Alzheimer's disease. There is actually a movement among people using nutrition to combat dementia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2018 12:39 AM

R50 Porridge, especially in Britain can be any combo of cereal grains and milk with sugar or fruit. I love that Doc, have watched him and his twin on BBC for years, but perhaps he's sexier than he is brilliant. I wouldn't eat any grain for breakfast. Better to eag an egg, some fish, or meat IMHO. I do not believe the comparison of beans being analogous to oats for a minute. Beans are nuch healthier, and have more protein. No one ever died from a wheat or oat deficiency! I'm loosely stealing a quote from the author of Wheat Belly. Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter is great too on this idea. I was once paid to cook and create meal plans part-time for a disabled diabetic gent. We improved all his numbers, in a relatively short period of time. He missed some foods, as he had been habituated to them, but never felt deprived. (which is key to sticking with the new choices) He lost almost three stone in four-five mos. Nothing to sneer at, yet nothing too shocking to the body.

by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2018 10:09 AM

[quote]On keto one Klondyke bar would be your entire carb amount for one day or almost. Pure keto eaters are allowed 25 carbs a day. the bar is 22.

And one once in a while it shouldn't throw you off. It's better that a pint of Ben & Jerrys ( Well not really, but you know what I mean)

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2018 10:35 AM

In addition to what R2 said, I might eat a few almonds or walnuts. Cantaloupe is good too.

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2018 10:41 AM

Yes as others have said what people don't realize about Keto is that the guiding principles are high fat, nearly zero no carbs. Not loading up on crazy amounts of protein. The idea is the fat keeps you satiated.

Like all low carb diets, it will definitely work, but in the long term the weight might come back once you go back to not keeping to the keto standards.

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2018 12:43 PM

r56 What kind of fish did you feed your client/patient in the morning? I love fish, but nothing about it says "breakfast" to me.

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2018 12:46 PM

R60 You're obviously not a New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2018 1:24 PM

Thanks, r61. That was my first thought, but smoked salmon isn't something I could eat every day. Not just on account of nitrates/nitrites, but because of the way would trigger me to want a nice poppy seed bagel to go with.

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2018 1:31 PM

R59, I can’t speak for anyone else, but I am not going back to carbs. This is for life, especially since I started eating this way to avoid stressing my pancreas. It’s fine. After I lost the weight I wanted to lose, I make room for a few tortilla chips or a bite of ice cream or whatever. But I’ll never go back to eating the way I used to.

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2018 2:34 PM

R62 Lox does not usually contain nitrites or nitrates. Look for cold-smoked. Some less than top-notch suppliers add it for longer shelf life. Even cured salmon is usually done with sugar and salt. Yes, I would have Lox, and so did my friend, but sometimes trout, sable, smoked chubs, kippers, or some form of a seafood/fish salad; usually made with whitefish, like trout sometimes smoked, sometimes not. Caviar too can be a great option. Many inexpensive options for roe, it doesn't need to be Beluga or Sevruga. Mackerel over a small amount of brown rice with a drizzle of teriyaki or soy sauce, octupus salad, shrimp, even simple sardines on a rye krisp can be good in the morning. Sometimes my "charge" preferred cold cuts in the AM too. These too were much better options than oats, cold cereal, and his readings proved it. Another thing one can do is make in advance salmon croquettes, crab cakes, or any fish cake, and have with some tomato and celery. Especially nice served cold in hot weather.

by Anonymousreply 64June 20, 2018 9:49 AM

[quote]Sometimes my "charge" preferred cold cuts in the AM too. These too were much better options than oats, cold cereal, and his readings proved it.

That's actually what I tried last week. I got tired of it before a week was out, and my blood sugar was high during that time. I had not been measuring it prior to eating cold cuts all week, so I don't know how much higher it might have been the week before. I have subsequently learned I was taking my metformin wrong, i.e., once a day instead of twice a day, and that may have been the issue.

by Anonymousreply 65June 20, 2018 11:04 AM

Did you count calories?

by Anonymousreply 66June 20, 2018 12:37 PM

No, r66. I did not.

by Anonymousreply 67June 20, 2018 1:18 PM

Many people on keto never count calories. Just count carbs (less than 25g of net carbs per day) and you should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 68June 20, 2018 1:22 PM

R65 You may sadly have selected some cuts with sugar! Many pre-prepared and packaged ones have corn syrup, honey, or maple. Even though this was a friend, I was paid, so I was quite dilligent. I would cook ham, smoked turkey breast, and roast beef so he would have enough for a week or so. If he did buy from the deli, or ask me, I read all the labels.

by Anonymousreply 69June 20, 2018 1:24 PM

You may be right about the sugar, r69. I didn't even think about it. It was ham and two different kinds of soppressata. Here, a recipe from Michael Ruhlman adds 3T of dextrose (or sugar) to a total of 4 pounds of pork and 1 of fat. Not a lot, perhaps, but I hadn't even considered it. And it was just some commercial brand I ate, so who knows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 20, 2018 1:35 PM

R70 That does almost seem an infinitesimal amount of sugar for four pounds, but who knows what was in your ham. BTW I love Sopressata and Sopresso. I could make a meal out of it.

by Anonymousreply 71June 20, 2018 1:42 PM

R68. R68

I find it hard to count calories, so i just tried to look after my macros for some time. It really helped me because i ate too much protein and not enough fats. Keto was very good to me for some time but it really backfired when i started eating carbs again.

by Anonymousreply 72June 20, 2018 1:44 PM

I started Keto right before 6 weeks of radiation and it was incredibly effective

by Anonymousreply 73June 20, 2018 3:48 PM

Is it possible to lose 20 pounds in a month on keto?

- asking for a friend

by Anonymousreply 74June 20, 2018 3:55 PM

I lost 13 in a month of strict keto but I didn't sacrifice the eating. If I had paid attention to the calories and exercised more I suspect it would have been 20 pounds. A ton of weight comes off the first 10 days. After that it goes slower.

by Anonymousreply 75June 20, 2018 4:02 PM

[quote]Is it possible to lose 20 pounds in a month on keto?

I lost 30 pounds in 30 days. I was really strict. 20 grams of carbs a day. But now that I’m not counting carbs, it all coming back.

by Anonymousreply 76June 20, 2018 8:43 PM

[quote]Vegetables, fruit....they're full of vitamins and micro nutrients that do us good and I don't believe in restricting them. I think keto is great for losing weight quickly, but I wouldn't want to do it as a lifestyle.

You don't have any idea what keto is if you think it eliminates vegetables. Low glycemic fruits are also allowed (berries). And it isn't a high protein diet either. It's high fat.

Those saying Keto is only effective as long as you stay on it. Well....duh. That is true of any diet. They all fail if you go back to eating Krispie Creams. Why would you assume otherwise?

Keto dieters are particularly vulnerable to cheating (which you can not do or you will back slide) because it's VERY hard to stay low carb in a carb world. Just look around DL at all the threads about the ideal way to cook pasta. Think of all the foods that people are practically orgasmic over---it's all carbs--cakes, cookies, breads, pasta, etc. And that should tell you a lot. Carbs are a drug.

by Anonymousreply 77June 20, 2018 11:33 PM

R77 - I agree this the idea that a problem with the keto diet is when you go off it you gain weight is ridiculous. Also certainly there are enough fruits and vegetables which fit into a keto diet that it can be a well balanced diet.

I do take issue with the way we often throw the word "carbs" around. For example dietary fiber is a carb. No reason to avoid dietary fiber. White flour, white rice and processed food yeah check the labels and avoid. White sugar -stay away. Steel cut oats for breakfast - no problem. High in fiber. Glycemic index is important but even more important is glycemic load.

I know I won't overeat if I'm having a meal of black beans, quinoa and steamed vegetables. But I also know if I bring home the family size package of Oreo cookies I will eat the all in less than a day. Although both have carbs.

by Anonymousreply 78June 21, 2018 3:19 AM

Can you eat enough fiber to offset your carb intake? Net carb is carb minus fiber. So if I eat 50 grams of carbs but also eat 50 grams of fiber then I will have eaten 0 carbs for the day.

by Anonymousreply 79June 21, 2018 5:05 AM

Yes, R79. I eat high fiber bread, crackers and tortillas, and they are life savers when you feel like if you don't eat something "bread-like" you might gnaw off your own arm. Plus, one challenge with Keto is the lack of fiber, so these foods can help you get more in your diet.

High fiber tortillas, low carb tortillas only have 4 net cabs. I pop them in the oven topped with mozzarella, marinara and pepperoni to make a low carb single serving pizza. I also salt and bake them, then cut into 8's for tortilla chips to dip in guacamole.

High fiber, low carb bread. 2 net carbs per slice. Eh, not the best tasting. But sometimes you just want a piece of toast with your eggs in the morning.

High fiber, low carb cracker --- Wasa fiber crackers are good in a pinch. I top them with peanut butter and sugar free jam. Or cream cheese, lox and onion. Only 4.5 net carbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 21, 2018 12:20 PM

Here is a list and reviews of low carb/high fiber breads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 21, 2018 12:21 PM

I've done keto and avoided using dessert-substitute recipes because I think it's important to break the addiction to sweets. My favorite keto dessert when I had to have one, though, was a few raspberries topped with homemade whipped cream (no sugar), dusted with good quality cocoa. Surprisingly satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 82June 21, 2018 2:27 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 21, 2018 3:27 PM

I really love fathead pizza.

by Anonymousreply 84June 21, 2018 3:40 PM

Is it possible to have negative carbs per day? Say I pig out on 100 grams of carbs but then eat tons of chia seeds which have 5 grams of fiber per teaspoon. Will I then be at negative net carbs? If I’m negative today then can I eat more carbs tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 85June 21, 2018 7:56 PM

That is not how net carbs work people.

Net carbs substract the fibrous carbs from within the food you are eating.

If you eat something with 10g of carbs but 4gm of those carbs are fiber, it is 6 net carbs you are eating.

You can't eat a bunch of carbs, then try to substract it by having fiber later. It is also mathematically impossible. Chia seeds for instance have 2gm of net carbs per serving, you are still adding carbs to your diet.

There is nothing with more fiber than carbs, fiber is part of carbs.

by Anonymousreply 86June 21, 2018 9:16 PM

[quote]Net carbs substract the fibrous carbs from within the food you are eating. You can't eat a bunch of carbs, then try to substract it by having fiber later.

So I’ll eat it at the same time, not later. And yes it is mathematically possible. Trader Joe’s sells husks and hemp seeds and Metamucil and their chia seeds have 10 grams of tiger and no carbs. You can also take fiber pills.

by Anonymousreply 87June 22, 2018 12:04 PM

Keto sort of works, but you get sick of eating meat after a few weeks--max--and fresh-baked bread will grab your attention like nothing else. Long-term solution? Nope, not for most people.

by Anonymousreply 88June 22, 2018 12:09 PM

Sigh r87. This is why weight loss plans often fail, people think there is a magic short cut. Like you thinking it will be possible to do a low carb diet without having to give up carbs.

Fiber is A carb, it is just one your body doesn't digest. There is no such thing as more fiber than carbs, fiber is part of the carb count. I swear nutrition should be a required class for people in highschool.

The best a food can be is zero net carbs, that is when all the carb content of a food is in the form of fiber. I don't know how else to explain that to you.

You are probably getting confused on labeling because some products will be labeled to show you net carb content. So lets say a product is 6gm of carbs that is all fiber, a net carb labeling system might label it 0g carb and 6gm fiber, causing you to think it is a magical net -6 good. But it is not.

by Anonymousreply 89June 22, 2018 12:18 PM

R87 - mathematically possible. Did you skip addition and subtraction? Will take your example of Trader Joe's chia seeds. Although the ones I found had 8 grams of dietary fiber will go with your package of 10 grams-we will go with four servings. We will use four Oreo cookies - 8 total carbs each. No dietary fiber.

The formula is : Total carbs minus dietary fiber = net carbs.

Total cabs for four oreos = 32 grams

Total carbs for chia seeds - 40 grams of fiber

Total carbs for your serving of Oreos and chia seeds is 72 grams.

Dietary fiber is 40 grams

Back to our formula of total carbs minus dietary fiber = net carbs. That would be 72 minus 40 equals 32 net carbs. The exact number of carbs in you Oreo cookies.

Got it R87?

by Anonymousreply 90June 22, 2018 6:52 PM

For me, avoiding bread/pasta etc isn't a problem, it's giving up most fruit that I hate. If I could get away with eating tons of watermelon and pineapple for the rest of life, I would.

by Anonymousreply 91June 22, 2018 7:00 PM

That is some serious fat whore denial-math at R87. It's obvious to anybody under 375 lbs with a shred of sense that you aren't allowed to mix sugar with extra fiber to equal "net carbs." Net carbs has only to do with the amount of DIGESTIBLE CARBOHYDRATE (sugar and starch) in food. Using current US nutrition labels, this equals total carbohydrate minus fiber. In other countries, this number may be expressed differently or not at all on a food label. But keto is at root about restricting daily intake of digestible carbohydrates.

You aren't permitted on a keto diet to have more than, say, 30 g of digestible carbohydrate per day (some say 20, some say 20 to 50, whatever). It doesn't matter if you horf down oreos mixed with psyllium like a sweaty fat girl, you are still eating 32 g of digestible carbohydrate, and with those 4 oreos, you've blown your carb budget for the entire day.

Even romaine lettuce has about a gram or two of digestible carbohydrate in a 2 cup serving. You still have to count that against your daily digestible carb budget. And if you're very serious about keto; say, you're eating keto as a treatment for medical conditions such as epilepsy, you count the carbs in the supplements you take.

by Anonymousreply 92June 22, 2018 7:44 PM

Girls, girls! You're both fat whores!

by Anonymousreply 93June 22, 2018 8:30 PM

enlightened Ice Cream is a savior if you miss ice cream. High protein low carbs almost no sugar, The chocolate peanut butter is soo fucking good. I do high protein low carb for fat loss right now for summer bod and this shit is amazing. Satisfies that feeling of needing to eat bad once in a while and you could eat the shit every night and still be in your low carb count.

by Anonymousreply 94June 22, 2018 8:36 PM

r92 am right. Sugar is sugar is sugar and is almost instantly digested and in the blood stream. Fats and protiens take time to break down but sugar goes poof so even if you had 500 grams of fiber - you are just going to raise your insulin and shit a lot. A LOT/

by Anonymousreply 95June 22, 2018 8:38 PM

I get the Enlightened, but I think it's a rip off. The container feels empty when you buy it. I get the CPB for my bf.

by Anonymousreply 96June 22, 2018 8:39 PM

r96 it is light when you are used to a pint of Ben and Jerry's :) - but it satisfies that ice cream want. You feel like you are cheating. Halo top is shit.

by Anonymousreply 97June 23, 2018 2:18 AM

R80 I love Wassa! Very satisfying and great with fish.

by Anonymousreply 98June 23, 2018 2:29 PM

[quote]It's obvious to anybody under 375 lbs with a shred of sense that you aren't allowed to mix sugar with extra fiber to equal "net carbs."

Who said anything about eating sugar?!?

by Anonymousreply 99June 24, 2018 9:03 AM

I have only eaten metamucil for the past 9 years.

by Anonymousreply 100June 24, 2018 1:59 PM

[quote]Is it possible to lose 20 pounds in a month on keto?

Unless you are on diuretic, half of that first weight lose is water. No carbs releases it. If you stop after that month , your body will start storing the water again.

by Anonymousreply 101June 24, 2018 2:38 PM

R100 = Kellyanne Conway

Hon, no amount of metamucil is going to be enough to extract all of that bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 102June 24, 2018 4:09 PM

Cut out carbs the last 4 weeks, eating mozarella and fruit, lots of water. Lost 10 pounds. Craving for my favourite battenberg cake with strong coffee now gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 3, 2018 3:04 PM

Is that fondant on the cake? Ugh, I hate fondant.

Can keto be done using collagen powder as a protein source vs meat? I like a good steak or chicken here and there, but as I get older, I'm finding meat less appetizing.

by Anonymousreply 104July 4, 2018 10:27 PM

Food for thought

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 9, 2018 7:42 AM

Anyone starting Keto for the new year?

by Anonymousreply 106December 30, 2018 5:22 PM

I am doing lazy keto, and want to try not so lazy keto next year. With macros, menu and so on.

by Anonymousreply 107December 30, 2018 5:26 PM

What the hell, let's have a confession day.

3 years ago on New Years, I started what was basically keto, although I don't call it that because saying it aloud makes me sound like a douche. I've been mostly able to keep it up, but do occasionally let myself be less strict when I'm on vacation, just because it's harder when I'm not preparing at least one meal a day.

I'm down about 120 pounds from my heaviest. I live in mortal fear of the weight coming back on, so I know I'll have to do this for the long haul. I'm at the point where I'm considering a full-body lift to get off the excess skin, but it costs way more money than I have. Unless I decide to debase myself for a GoFundMe.

As it stands, I just take pleasure in being able to buy clothes off the rack.

by Anonymousreply 108December 30, 2018 5:43 PM

R108

That's great.

by Anonymousreply 109December 30, 2018 5:51 PM

R108 What was your starting weight?

by Anonymousreply 110December 30, 2018 5:51 PM

[quote][R108] What was your starting weight?

More than I want to post here. All I'm going to say is that my BMI dropped more than 15 points.

by Anonymousreply 111December 30, 2018 5:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!