Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Preexisting Condition? Get ready to pay far more for health insurance.

But her emails...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2018 3:07 AM

Insurance companies providing pre existing coverage protection has like a 90%+ approval rating. I can’t believe that the White House is pushing the courts to dismantle the most popular part of Obamacare and Democrats are not pouncing on it.

This should be a major midterm talking point and yet I’ve not heard about it much at all. Stunning.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2018 6:50 AM

I guess blue states will do something to keep that provision.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2018 6:50 AM

The entire concept of insurance, especially when applied to organic matter subject to entropy, is just idiotic and insane. I can't believe the things society as a group agrees to and refuses to question.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2018 6:53 AM

The House was busy too:

[quote]the @HouseGOP voted last night to strip funding for health insurance for 9 million kids and cut $800 million from Medicare and Medicaid.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2018 6:54 AM

Trump is giving Dems a huge gift by trying to strip away coverage from sick people. I can imagine the ads in the fall now. Even for Trump this is sick and twisted.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2018 6:56 AM

What OP linked to kicks in after midterms, on purpose, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2018 7:01 AM

R3, Yes, the nerve of your parents keeping you on their healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2018 7:09 AM

r7, you're drunk, go home.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2018 7:12 AM

Is meanness the only thing keeping Americans from having universal healthcare?

Everyone else in the civilized world sees it that way.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2018 7:17 AM

The problem is health care costs far too much. You can't bleed young healthy people for ten years, so some 95 year old gets two more months at life.

We also have virtually no preventative care. If the flu is so costly, why don't they give the shots free? This seems to be a no brainer. But they don't. My insurance company doesn't charge for a shot but I can only get it at my doctor, which conveniently requires a co-pay of $30. Which conveniently works out to the price of the shot at Walgreens, CVS, Target or Walmart in my area.

Bad teeth are a big cause of health problems including your heart. Yet health insurance now excludes it. Why? For the simple reason it costs. Up till 1995 all my health insurance included dental from root canals, to medically required caps to basic cleanings.

As for the rest of the world having universal health care, wrong. What you mean is Westernized nations.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2018 7:21 AM

R8, read the Ayn Rand crap R3 posted. Life insurance, health insurance are mentioned in the Old Testament. More than 3000 years ago goat herders understood the idea of managing a risk. You know who doesn't? Teenagers who don't pay for shit.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2018 7:37 AM

[quote]Insurance companies providing pre existing coverage protection has like a 90%+ approval rating. I can’t believe that the White House is pushing the courts to dismantle the most popular part of Obamacare and Democrats are not pouncing on it.

Trump and the Republicans are banking on the hope that dumb American voters will reward them for the drop in the cost of premiums made possible by allowing insurance companies to sell crap plans again. I'd like to believe the Democrats can clearly and cogently make the case against it, but I don't have a whole lot of faith in them or the American electorate.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2018 2:21 PM

Cancer can't come soon enough for Trump and the GOP scumbags.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2018 2:26 PM

Yes, r13, except that they (Trump and the GOP scumbags, and everyone else in the Federal government) are on Cadillac health plans that we, the taxpayers, are paying for.

So they'll get gold-star treatment on our dime, while they strip even basic care from everyone else's insurance (for those hwo even have insurance).

This needs to appear in Webster's Dictionary under the definition of "hypocrisy".

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2018 2:56 PM

[quote] This needs to appear in Webster's Dictionary under the definition of "hypocrisy".

Aren't you original....

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2018 3:23 PM

R5, the Democrats are already pouncing on it, saying out loud that if the Republicans want to give them something to run on, go ahead... which is not to say that the electorate will pay any attention. Trump has taught the Republicans that to win the year, you start every day throwing shit-tantrums and wear people down to the chicanery and dishonesty so that when the truly important fight comes along, too many people are inured to the fight.

The Democrats need to be out there resurrecting the ads of Paul Ryan pushing grandma off a cliff, saying that Republicans only solution if you get sick is to die, and everything else that so pissed off the Republicans when Democrats won the fight over healthcare. But there's the problem: Democrats think that once they win an argument, it's over; Republicans know that no argument is truly lost so long as you live to fight another day.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2018 3:35 PM

6/20/18 From CNBC, Huffpost, and other sites: The trump administration " wants the court to throw out the protections for people with pre-existing conditions.". This would be any condition- a prior C-section, treatment for teenage acne years ago, postpartum depression, etc. They are asking the federal judge to hold off implementing these changes to insurance until January so that it will be months after the midterm elections. These changes would go back to what it was before ACA- charging much higher premiums for people with pre-existing conditions, plan carve outs for any related conditions, rejecting to insure some people at all. I was in the insurance industry for over twenty years, people seem to forget how bad it was before ACA for millions of people. No coverage at all for a lot of people, shell plans that were cheap but covered almost nothing or had a ridiculously small pay out cap, people paying outrageous COBRA premiums so they didn't have that gap in insurance that would make pre-existing penalties apply for any new coverage, etc.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2018 2:14 AM

It's not insurance that needs to change. It's the costs of healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2018 2:20 AM

People should be allowed to buy catastrophic only policies.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2018 2:28 AM

R19. That is what they are now.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2018 3:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!