Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Former MA Governor Deval Patrick to Make 2020 Decision Within Six Months

Another possible Dem contender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 13, 2019 8:49 PM

The Democrats need to have some order. Otherwise, you get what the Republicans had last time: 16 contestants all saying variations of the same thing. You need one or two very strong candidates and don't muddy the water with a lot of people have no chance of winning.

Deval Patrick and Corey Booker are going to cancel each other out.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2018 12:21 AM

Love Deval! I think he would actually be a more effective president than Obama because he has real executive experience as the governor of MA.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2018 12:27 AM

Does he have charisma?

Has he molested females in the past?

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2018 12:29 AM

See for yourself:

Not that we know of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2018 12:31 AM

[quote]But he’s not yet actively working the midterm election circuit because of restrictions related to [bold]his position at investment firm Bain Capital.[/bold]

That makes him dead to Sanders supporters.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2018 12:31 AM

Does he have good, solid buns like Justin (Castro) Trudeau?

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2018 12:34 AM

He’s no Obama. So no.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2018 12:36 AM

No to Cory Booker.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2018 12:37 AM

I also want Howard Schultz, Starbucks CEO, to run. It's looking like he's going to. He's a hot Daddy, too.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2018 12:41 AM

Booker isn’t planning to run, so Patrick will be the black male candidate.

His role at Bain Capital is as a managing director of social investing. It’s really a hard position to attack from either the left or right. Not to mention that he was at DOJ Civil Rights, a partner at a law firm in Boston, and a two-term Governor of Massachusetts. It’s quite the resume. And he’s handsome.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2018 12:48 AM

Hillary took money from Goldman Sachs. Bain Capital is a non-issue.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2018 12:58 AM

Nobody’s heard of him. Ain’t gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2018 1:05 AM

[QUOTE]Nobody’s heard of him. Ain’t gonna happen.

Uhh tens of millions have seen his portrayal in the movie Patriots Day about the Boston marathon bombings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2018 1:09 AM

That's what I thought, R2. I also don't like Cory Booker.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2018 1:11 AM

R5, Sanders supporters have had their heads handed to them in recent elections. And everything Nina Turner touches turns to shit.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2018 1:12 AM

Scott Holder is also seriously considering a run.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2018 1:14 AM

He's, like, 5'8" and his wife's a bit fragile under the spotlight, he's a doctrinaire liberal, and he's from Massachusetts.

He's the black Mike Dukakis. Ain't gonna fly.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2018 1:15 AM

So what if he’s 5’8? Some of the best athletes in history were that height and nobody gives a shit.

And Dukakis would’ve made a damn good President.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2018 1:25 AM

I don’t think r17 is questioning that, r18.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2018 1:27 AM

A fellow I met from Massachusetts, not a liberal and someone who doesn't like Patrick personally, said that he has incredible charisma, leaving everyone in the room feeling like they're all besties now. I was never a fan of Bill Clinton myself, but feel that Patrick probably has a lot of the same mojo.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2018 1:28 AM

Don’t deval-uate Deval.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2018 1:31 AM

[quote] and his wife's a bit fragile under the spotlight

Yeah, that would never fly.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2018 1:37 AM

[r2] I completely agree! I lived in MA when he was governor...he's calm, collect with finesse, smarts etc. His wife is also charming and smart. While he and his wife are sort cut from the same cloth as the Obamas...they are very different in many ways. He is unapologetically progressive "Democrats need to get some backbone and stand up for what they believe in..." More reserved etc. A smart popular governor...it would he one hell of a campaign against the rich trailer trash crowd that are running things now...

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2018 1:47 AM

Fun Fact: His daughter Katherine is a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2018 1:56 AM

He has harmful baggage dating back to his days as a lawyer for Coca-Cola.

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2018 1:59 AM

He's an eastern elite. No chance.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2018 2:21 AM

The Republicans elected as president a New Yorker who continuously bragged about his Manhattan real estate assets, r26.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2018 3:05 AM

That's different R27, he's white.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2018 3:12 AM

He was nicknamed Cadillac Deval for his lavish expenditures as Governor of Massachusetts.

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2018 4:35 AM

Rumor that he was gay persisted during his years as Governor. After the Boston Marathon bombing, he sat alone in a restaurant and drank for hours.

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2018 4:37 AM

R27 R28 That’s different. Trump’s acts like southern trailer trash.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2018 4:41 AM

[QUOTE]Rumor that he was gay persisted during his years as Governor.

Is there any politician who isn’t rumored to be gay?

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2018 2:43 PM

R29

“Coupe Deval” actually.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2018 2:47 PM

R33, Sorry, sweetie . . . I'm right, you're wrong.

In Mass., Nothing Was Too Good for 'Cadillac' Deval

BY MICHAEL WALSH JUNE 11, 2015

That would be Deval Patrick, the Obama-lite former governor of Massachusetts, who did such a bang-up job on his state that the People's Commonwealth replaced him with a Republican. But he did okay for himself:

Former Gov. Deval Patrick’s administration secretly diverted nearly $27 million in public money to off-budget accounts that paid for a $1.35 million trade junket tab, bloated advertising contracts, and a deal with a federally subsidized tourism venture backed by U.S. Sen. Harry Reid, a Herald investigation has found. The maneuver to fatten the hidden “trust” 

accounts with millions from state quasi-public agencies allowed Patrick to skirt the state Legislature and evade state budget cutbacks during the recession, the Herald found. State lawmakers never approved the funding plan, and it’s not clear who even knew about it, but it is clear who orchestrated the end-around the budget and got state agencies to contribute.

“The (Patrick) administration asked us to,” said Katie Hauser, spokeswoman for the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority, which kicked in the largest amount to the trusts, $23.5 million. One of the trusts was run by a close Patrick loyalist, Betsy Wall, a former top campaign aide later appointed as the $134,000 head of travel and tourism.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2018 2:52 PM

Been there, done that.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2018 2:56 PM

Yes, he got off on the wrong foot with some spending in the Governor’s Mansion. That’s the extent of his baggage. The writing at r34 is misleading.

He’ll be running against a party who was fine with a president literally enriching himself in legally dubious ways.

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2018 2:56 PM

Republicans only care about spending AFTER the Dem gets elected. Right now government spending is off the charts, which is partially why the economy has been decent.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2018 2:58 PM

R36, Massachusetts does not have a Governor's Mansion, the sitting Governor resides in his own home. Upon being sworn in, Deval spent a fortune on new drapes and furniture for his State House corner office. He balked at riding in a State Police vehicle, as every other Massachusetts Governor has before and since, and insisted on a Cadillac instead.

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2018 3:05 PM

Massachusetts doesn't have a Governor's Mansion. (one of only 5 states without one).

Patrick was very bad for social programs in MA while he was Gov. here. I'd never vote for him.

He is VERY charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2018 3:08 PM

Working at Bain is not a good look, it just isnt.

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2018 3:49 PM

R34: Condescension must be embarrassing given that you're wrong, Sweetie. Especially when Deval Patrick says he was called "Coupe Deval"

"This escapade earned Patrick the nickname "Coupe Deval" from hostiles in the local media. In an attempt to make the matter go away, Patrick decided weeks after the story broke that he would pay the state the $543-a- month difference between the pedestrian Crown Vic and the more elegant Caddy." Article entitled "Coupe Deval" from the Weekly Standard, March 3, 2008

" Coupe Deval’ Patrick will keep his Caddy" Boston Herald, Columnist Howie Carr, Friday, November 28, 2008

"Coupe Deval Refuses to Release Welfare Info on Bombers" comment by rwl1955, Northeast Shooters.com, April 25, 2013

"In the PRIMARY, being unenrolled, I took a Democrat ballot and voted for Coupe Deval." comment by Delta 784, MassCops.com, March 28, 2007

" 'Coupe" Deval: I really screwed up’ Admits gaffe on Caddy, furniture but defends $72G for wife" Boston Herald, 22 February, 2007

" 'I knew it was going to be a learning experience' Her time as the governor's chief of staff was short, her departure sudden. But she believes she made a difference. Her appointment made history. Her departure made headlines. One hundred days into the Patrick administration, a period marked by serial political missteps and "Coupe Deval" jokes, chief of staff Joan Wallace-Benjamin abruptly left." Boston Globe, August 22, 2007

"So don't, like Patrick, lease a luxurious Cadillac as your state car after chucking the practical, traditional and cheaper Ford Victoria. The Boston Herald beat his head in over that one, calling him Coupe Deval until he was forced to cancel the lease and get a more conventional vehicle." from "No Second Chance to Make a First Impression, Gov. Baker" by Peter Lucas, Lowell Sun, January 7, 2015

"Grudgingly, the items left the news, but not before the media had a field day -- “Coupe Deval" and “Together We Con." from page 186, "A Reason to Believe: Lessons from an Improbable Life" by Deval Patrick

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2018 3:57 PM

Is he running for the nomination of the Nigga Please party? Cause nobody outside Mass and NH know who the fuck he is.

by Anonymousreply 42June 9, 2018 3:57 PM

[quote]He's, like, 5'8"

There's a semi-literate moron currently occupying the WH but sure, let's focus on his height. Priorities.

by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2018 4:05 PM

There is literally NOTHING to criticize him over, or any skeletons in his closet, after this country just elected Trump. He could eat out a kangaroo's ass on the front steps of the MA capitol building at it would look charming compared to Trump's daily antics.

by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2018 4:18 PM

[QUOTE]Cause nobody outside Mass and NH know who the fuck he is.

Nobody outside of Hawaii and Illinois knew who Barack Obama was, either. Nobody knows 80% of the Dem candidates who will run for President. Hell, hardly any Americans can name three SC Justices, the Vice President and/or Secretary of State.

Who gives a shit?! That’s what you run a campaign for, so people can get to know you and then make a decision as to whether or not they want to vote for you!! Lame brain!

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2018 4:19 PM

R43 It's not about priorities - take a look at US history: the shorter candidate usually loses R44 I don't disagree, but Dump, despite all the idiocy, is President

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2018 4:20 PM

The Obamas will stay out of the primary process, but I'm sure they'd privately root for Deval over Kamala. They are good friends with the Patricks, and Michelle didn't like it when Barack said that Kamala was hot.

I bet the Clintons want Mitch Landrieu to run, and that's who they would throw their support behind.

by Anonymousreply 47June 9, 2018 4:26 PM

Mitt Romney is taller than Barack Obama.

Donald Trump is also taller than Obama, yet if it weren’t for the 22nd Amendment and Barack could’ve ran against him in 2016, he would’ve destroyed him in a landslide victory.

Trump is also damn near a foot taller than Hillary, yet 3 million more Americans preferred to have her as President over him. He won by the skin of his teeth in the Electoral College likely with the help of Russian interference.

Height is meaningless. How many celebrities and athletes do we worship that need phonebooks to drive a car?

by Anonymousreply 48June 9, 2018 4:26 PM

R41

Cadillac Deval Is Still a Spendthrift

by AMY DERJUE·t10/8/2008, 10:57 a.m.

Massachusetts residents, it is time to grab the pitchforks and torches and storm Beacon Hill! As we, the Joe Six-Packs of the Bay State, continue to chug Maalox whenever we open the business section of the newspaper, Gov. Deval Patrick is spending thousands to appear at political events across the country.

How dare he waste taxpayer dollars during this time of crisis. . . Oh, wait a second. The expenses are being paid by Patrick, not by taxpayers.

by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2018 6:03 PM

R41

"Cadillac" Deval Patrick Gets Patronage Job

Since Deval Patrick did such a bang up job here with the people he hired for the "T" and DCF he should also be a big help in heading a task force in Chicago to straighten out their police force. It's good to be Zippy's best friend.

by Anonymousreply 50June 9, 2018 6:15 PM

Oh god not Deval Patrick. He's Obama 2.0 - a charismatic corporatist.

by Anonymousreply 51June 9, 2018 6:21 PM

[QUOTE]He's Obama 2.0

Sounds like just the man we need to defeat Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 52June 9, 2018 6:29 PM

Deval chose not to attend his successor Charlie Baker's inauguration because Deval is only 5'8" tall and Charlie is 6 '6" tall . . . embarrassing optics.

by Anonymousreply 53June 9, 2018 6:44 PM

Wasn't there a scandal involving his Lieutenant Governor that forced the LG's resignation?

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2018 7:04 PM

If so, that has nothing to do with Deval.

by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2018 7:07 PM

He rolled his state-issued Crown Vickie in unexplained circumstances early one morning and tried, unsuccessfully, to get the incident buried. There’s more to it than that but I don’t remember all the details - what he was wearing, what he’d been doing, where he’d been (rest stop out on 298?) why was he driving so fast on ice, and the like. His name is Tim Murray and he survived, more or less unscathed, to get some plum lobbying job.

Nothing to do with Deval, though.

by Anonymousreply 56June 9, 2018 7:14 PM

“Out on 290”

by Anonymousreply 57June 9, 2018 7:15 PM

R53 hence, on his more liberal days Gov. Baker’s detractors refer to him as “Tall Deval.”

by Anonymousreply 58June 9, 2018 7:18 PM

r17 met him in person a couple times, he's a little over 5'5" I'd say.

by Anonymousreply 59June 9, 2018 7:55 PM

R56, Lt. Gov. Tim Murray was wearing pajamas and reportedly barefoot when he rolled his state vehicle at a very high speed long after midnight. Many believe that he was on a Craigslist hookup for late night sex. The State Police report was sealed by Deval Patrick and Tim Murray quietly resigned.

by Anonymousreply 60June 9, 2018 10:10 PM

If Deval Patrick is 5'8", then I'm a monkey's uncle.

by Anonymousreply 61June 9, 2018 10:13 PM

I wouldn’t give a damn if he was 4’9, he’d still clobber Trump at the polls in November 2020.

by Anonymousreply 62June 10, 2018 3:16 AM

Deval’s a good choice. So is Chris Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 63June 10, 2018 4:36 AM

Mitch Landrieu/Kamala Harris would be a winning ticket. Mitch is very well spoken.

by Anonymousreply 64June 10, 2018 5:50 AM

Deval Patrick is not known outside of his neighborhood. Pass.

I bet is someone from the Western United States.

by Anonymousreply 65June 10, 2018 7:15 AM

There have been too many losing candidates for POTUS from Massachusetts . . . Dukakis, Kerry, Romney.

by Anonymousreply 66June 10, 2018 11:01 AM

Short candidates don't win and he has gayvoice.

by Anonymousreply 67June 10, 2018 11:58 AM

Obama is meeting up with him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 12, 2018 1:36 AM

[quote] ‘Cause nobody outside Mass and NH know who the fuck he is.

“Years ago, I heard that Deval Patrick actually was the mentor of Obama.”

by Anonymousreply 69June 12, 2018 1:47 AM

He's meeting with Obama about 2020. As have Bernie Sanders (no way for him to lose a second time), Liz Warren (no way, the Fauxcahontas thing having topped her for anything else except a job in Massachusetts), Joe Biden (who, like Bernie, went to high school with God so again, no way - he's way too old), and LOLA Mayor Mitch Landrieu, LA Mayor Eric Garcetti, and former AG Eric Holder. There are more people he has yet to meet.

by Anonymousreply 70June 12, 2018 2:09 AM

But he will endorse Deval.

by Anonymousreply 71June 12, 2018 2:23 AM

A field of potential losers. I hope Obama advises them all not to run except Mitch Landrieu. Bernie is not a Democrat so I hope he gets shut out.

by Anonymousreply 72June 12, 2018 3:05 AM

I don't quite understand that, although Obama was elected twice, many liberals feel America is a racist nation. So, why is there great enthusiasm for Duvall and Booker and Harris like this?

by Anonymousreply 73June 12, 2018 3:07 AM

R71 if he did so pre-primaries, he'd be pissing off the other 90% of the Democratic Party and reducing his own standing in it as the titular leader.

And Coupe Deval isn't going to make it through any primaries.

by Anonymousreply 74June 12, 2018 3:20 AM

After what we have been forced to accept from Donald J. trump and the rest of the Republicans, do not even think about coming to me with any so-called "dirt" on any Democrat running for public office in this country. Period. I will fucking rip your guts out if you fix your mouth to say something critical about the moral character of anyone on any Democratic ticket. Capish?

by Anonymousreply 75June 12, 2018 3:29 AM

No, and go fuck yourself, too, because you sound ridiculous. Unless and until the Demmies get their shit together and learn 1: that the Republicans don't need any dirt to drop on them because if there's none, they'll make shit up and they know how to sell it to enough yokels to get themselves elected, and 2: how to start shoving the shit back on Republicans in ways that the idiot electorate can understand. If not, then it's hopeless. You have to know (and if you don't, here's the 411) that there are more right-wingers in this country living in more states that have gerrymandered themselves into permanent Republican territory than there are liberals and it ain't easy getting those people in the middle who occasionally change their minds to vote for a Democrat.

That's why the Big Cheeto is in charge these days. You don't have to like it, but you do have to figure a way out of the woods the D's are in and so far, not one of the candidates mentioned with the possible exception of Landrieu has a chance of doing that. Deval Patrick had an uninspiring record as governor. Liz Warren has yet, after five or six years, found a message that works to make the fake-Indian story go away and has managed to look like a lesbian grandmother without being one and neither image sells too well in the rest of the country. Holder is seen as Obama 2.0, Biden and Bernie shouldn't be buying green bananas, and anyone from California is seen - and not w/o reason if you live there and pay taxes - as big-D, big-government, tax-and-spend liberals. That doesn't sell in the rest of America all that well, either.

And because it doesn't, they don't get elected: see, Dukakis, Michael (not a bad man, either) or Kerry, John (an asshole before he got to Harvard.) Both looked great on paper and both got blown out of the water because, as you haven't noticed, "moral character" doesn't matter jackshit to the people voting. Telling them what they want to hear, more or less, is how to get elected. And even if they will listen to what he has to say, having a tiny black man tell them is not gonna be the way to go. You don't have to like it but that, sadly, is how it works in America now. I'd like it to be be different, but it's not.

Touring a bomb-making plant in the UK during the Second World War, an assembly worker told Winston Churchill, "We're doing the best we can." Churchill looked at him and said, "That's not enough. Sometimes you have to do what it takes to get the job done." Democrats are worried about positions and purity and process. None of which is worth a damn these days if they don't get elected.

by Anonymousreply 76June 12, 2018 4:04 AM

[quote]His role at Bain Capital is as a managing director of social investing. It’s really a hard position to attack from either the left or right.

No it's not. Bain is an evil corporation that makes the workers drain the corpses of their own dying companies, sells off the bones, and then runs off with the leftover money, including those same workers' pensions and retirement accounts.

by Anonymousreply 77June 12, 2018 5:06 AM

Ugh. It's going to be Biden/Harris or Biden/Patrick, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 78June 12, 2018 7:04 PM

Duval doesn’t have the charisma that Obama has.

by Anonymousreply 79June 12, 2018 8:27 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 13, 2018 2:44 PM

[QUOTE]The Last Time Democrats Faced A Moment Like This, Deval Patrick Decided To Run

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 23, 2018 1:00 PM

[quote] R73: I don't quite understand that, although Obama was elected twice, many liberals feel America is a racist nation. So, why is there great enthusiasm for Duvall and Booker and Harris like this?

It’s complicated. For example, It’s old news that when Blacks try to hail taxi cab, they will often get passed by, [italic] even by Black cab drivers. [/italic]. Also, Blacks are treated rougher by the Police, [italic] even by Black police. [/italic]

We should not conflate the election of a Black man as President, to the ideal of all having equal opportunity and being judged by their individual character. I mean, that’s been the problem all along, right? Judging all Black (or whomever), not as individuals, but based one one negative stereotype?

by Anonymousreply 82June 23, 2018 1:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 25, 2018 7:25 PM

NO

by Anonymousreply 84June 25, 2018 7:37 PM

R9, the rumors about Howard are true. Problem is, he isn't terribly intellectual, but he's enormously curious. Also some infidelity rumblings but not sure those matter any longer.

by Anonymousreply 85June 25, 2018 8:10 PM

Schultz is a handsome daddy but I don't need him to run either. He's not liberal, wants to cut benefits for the poor rather than millionaires like himself pay taxes. Made Seattle lower their tax to help the homeless.

NOPE

by Anonymousreply 86June 25, 2018 8:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 8, 2018 3:26 AM

[quote] Deval Patrick to Make 2020 Decision Within Six Months

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 8, 2018 3:35 AM

Nope. Obama got elected because the SJW contingent wanted to elect the first black president. They've done that now so it's not shiny and new enough for them. Patrick will not win. He will actually lose massively.

by Anonymousreply 89July 8, 2018 3:47 AM

Right, cause there can only be one black President.

Shut the fuck up, R89.

by Anonymousreply 90July 8, 2018 3:59 AM

We have to play it safe this time and go with a white man preferably under 80, and someone who can "go low".

by Anonymousreply 91July 8, 2018 4:30 AM

R90, you shut the fuck up. Right now, where this country is, yes, we will only have had one black president. Obama got Millennials out to vote because they were doing something historical. They went right back to not voting right after that. They already made their history. A black man will not win in 2020.

White guy at the top of the ticket, historical figure in the VP slot.

Howard Dean/Kamala Harris 2020

by Anonymousreply 92July 8, 2018 4:38 AM

[QUOTE]They went right back to not voting right after that.

They went right back to not voting because the candidate was Hillary Clinton, a centrist war monger who helped lead the fight to lock up a generation of black men in prison.

by Anonymousreply 93July 8, 2018 5:41 AM

You're an idiot, R93. They didn't even bother to show up for Obama's second election. They didn't show up for any midterms. They didn't show up in 2016. They probably won't show up for these midterms, either. The laziness, ignorance, and general stupidity of younger voters is why the Democrats don't win every single election. Now, go back to your mom's basement, Bernbro.

by Anonymousreply 94July 8, 2018 5:46 AM

Yeah I’m a Bernbro who supports Deval Patrick’s 2020 candidacy for the Dem nomination. 😂 How stupid can you be?

by Anonymousreply 95July 8, 2018 5:48 AM

Sure you do, R95.

by Anonymousreply 96July 8, 2018 6:12 AM

Sure I do? I’m the one who started this fucking thread.

by Anonymousreply 97July 8, 2018 6:14 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 6, 2018 4:51 PM

You're all fools. Hillary had a higher black turnout than any Dem candidate ever besides Obama. Black women actually vote at higher rates than any other gender/race combination.

by Anonymousreply 99August 6, 2018 4:55 PM

I want Gavin Newsom to run. He's pretty and he can go low. I know he's from CA, but most decent lib politicians are from blue states.

It has to be a white guy, unfortunately. We can't lose this and half our country is racist and sexist (or at least ok with racism and sexism).

by Anonymousreply 100August 6, 2018 5:05 PM

No it doesn't need to be a white guy, beginning to think you're a troll.

Hillary WON the popular vote. Two campaign events each in WI, MI, and central PA would have given her the electoral victories. Trump got 46%. We don't need to live in fear of his base

by Anonymousreply 101August 6, 2018 5:07 PM

I'm not a troll, am actually a white woman who worked on HRC's campaign (twice). No one wants a woman president more than I do.

But Trump will play the sexist card, call a woman candidate "weak" and I think there are a lot of morons in this country who still believe that (and those are the older folks who vote). And he'd have a field day with any candidate of color and his (not so) veiled race baiting.

I wish we could count on young people to show up for someone dynamic who isn't a white middle aged man, but they've never showed up before and this country will spin further out of control if Trump wins again.

by Anonymousreply 102August 6, 2018 5:17 PM

"Deval Patrick is not known outside of his neighborhood. Pass."

Not the brightest bulb in the box, are you? Deval Patrick wrote the "words matter" speech Obama lifted during the 2008 campaign. He did mentor Obama as R69 mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 103August 6, 2018 5:19 PM

R102 Trump got far fewer votes than anyone to ever win the presidency. 80k out of 150 million would have given the election to Hillary instead. Any other dem would have won. Its foolish to freak out this much

by Anonymousreply 104August 6, 2018 5:21 PM

R103 That in no way implies he is well known.

by Anonymousreply 105August 6, 2018 5:21 PM

For what it's worth, I'd back a candidate of color before I'd back another white woman (said as a white woman). Has nothing to do with my personal politics or interests, all to do with what I perceive as electability. I am horrified that our country isn't more progressive and is so backwards, but nearly half the people in this country voted for a racist, idiotic crook so I have to assume the same morons will show up again next time.

by Anonymousreply 106August 6, 2018 5:22 PM

R106 I think youre a troll because you continually keep ignoring that Trump got less votes than the dem. You don't even respond to that because it doesn't fit in with the "dems should be terrified of Trump" narrative you keep pushing here

by Anonymousreply 107August 6, 2018 5:25 PM

R102, Trump is going to play those silly games no matter who the Democrats nominate. The only people who will be impressed will be his hard-core supporters.

by Anonymousreply 108August 6, 2018 5:27 PM

I'm happy to respond to the fact that Trump got less votes- it doesn't matter, he still won. The electoral college is a joke and we don't live in a real democracy. If we lived in a real democracy, where every vote really mattered, she would have crushed him. Trust me, I live in NYC and people here don't even vote because it doesn't really matter.

The margins were close last time. And, after she lost, I said that she would have beat that margin if she had a penis, which I still believe.

by Anonymousreply 109August 6, 2018 5:36 PM

Your mistake is in thinking that the 2020 election will be equally close, that whomever Trump faces will get no more votes than did Clinton. Given Trump's unpopularity, that's not a particularly good assumption to make.

by Anonymousreply 110August 6, 2018 6:22 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but why Deval? He was at best a middling governor of a state that most of the US hates. The fodder from his administration is there for someone to use against him: Massachusetts infrastructure sucks (45th worst), the nickname "Taxachusetts" is still out there even though it's not entirely true (Mass now has only the 18th highest taxes in the US), and the Fox noise machine will remind the sheep that it's the home of all those awful fuckin' lib-ruls: Elizabeth Warren, John Kerry, the late Ted Kennedy, Barney Frank, Mike Dukakis, etc. He will be tarred with the same brush.

That and he has all the charisma of paint drying. Things have changed. Competence isn't valued nearly as much as it once was and still should be today.

by Anonymousreply 111August 6, 2018 7:44 PM

Well why nominate anybody, R111? It just seems to be such a futile endeavor. Or do you know of a flawless Democratic candidate who won’t be tarnished by Fox and can’t be ridiculed on twitter by Trump?

by Anonymousreply 112August 6, 2018 7:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 16, 2018 12:35 PM

Why go with Cory Booker-lite when we can have the real thing?

by Anonymousreply 114September 16, 2018 1:29 PM

Cory Booker lite? This man was the Governor of a great state and you’re conparing him to Spartacus?

by Anonymousreply 115September 16, 2018 1:35 PM

Doing Social Investing for Bain Capital is like doing Minority Outreach for the KKK.

by Anonymousreply 116September 16, 2018 1:37 PM

That’s a great talking point, r116. Too bad there’s not a Republican alive who can make it convincingly.

by Anonymousreply 117September 16, 2018 1:56 PM

It’s almost time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 1, 2018 2:39 PM

Go away, all of you. Bad candidates.

by Anonymousreply 119November 1, 2018 2:55 PM

And who’s your candidate of choice, R119?

by Anonymousreply 120November 1, 2018 2:55 PM

Neither R93 nor R94 know what they’re talking about. Voter turnout for 18-29 year olds was actually up just a little in 2016. And low voter turnout for the under 30 crowd isn’t a millennial or Gen Z thing: it’s always been the case. The difference is that the millennials and Gen Z who turn out at least vote Democratic unlike past generations who voted for Reagan etc. when they were young.

18-29 voter %: 2004: 48%, 2008: 52%, 2012: 49%, 2016: 50%

by Anonymousreply 121November 1, 2018 3:01 PM

R120

I am watching the new folks carefully and watching to see who buys whom.

My entire voting life I have voted AGAINST the worst candidate and never voted for one I agreed with.

by Anonymousreply 122November 1, 2018 3:42 PM

We need a Southerner. Or a Midwesterner. I do love Deval though.

by Anonymousreply 123November 1, 2018 3:57 PM

Eastern liberals have no shot.

by Anonymousreply 124November 1, 2018 4:28 PM

Deval Patrick -an early favorite of some Obama allies- to announce he won’t run for president in #2020, sources tell Politico. The fmr. MA Governor was hampered by his decision to work for Bain Capital, the fmr. Romney company that Dems pilloried In 2012

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 5, 2018 10:43 AM

The Democratic Party has already conceded 2020 to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 126December 5, 2018 12:44 PM

Trump will not be running for re-election. I believe this.

by Anonymousreply 127December 5, 2018 4:17 PM

Well he kept his word at least—six months damn near to the day.

by Anonymousreply 128December 6, 2018 7:05 AM

[QUOTE] The Democrats need to have some order. Otherwise, you get what the Republicans had last time: 16 contestants all saying variations of the same thing. You need one or two very strong candidates and don't muddy the water with a lot of people have no chance of winning.

😂 So much for that.

by Anonymousreply 129November 13, 2019 8:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!