Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Good Deeds

What good deeds will you be doing today?

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2018 12:10 AM

I’m going to put some peanuts out for the neighborhood fauna.

by Anonymousreply 1June 7, 2018 4:34 PM

Im doing some yard work for my 94 year old landlord.

by Anonymousreply 2June 7, 2018 4:35 PM

I'm going to bring dinner to a sick neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 3June 7, 2018 4:41 PM

I'm going to present hole to every man in my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 4June 7, 2018 4:54 PM

I like the good deeds threads. They inspire me to do good.

by Anonymousreply 5June 7, 2018 5:05 PM

I am packing to move at the end of the month to take care of my partner's mother, who is going through kidney failure/dialysis.

by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2018 5:08 PM

I'm off 1/2 day today, so I am transporting lots and lots of clothes for our local shelter store. They offer free pickup to come to your house and get your donated clothes, so I'm one of those who drives around to get them. Not earth shattering, but something decent

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2018 5:11 PM

R7, I just signed up to have my clothes and small items picked up by someone like you. I thank you in advance, and will leave them on the porch.

by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2018 5:12 PM

Tomorrow morning before I go to work I'm going the water an elderly couples garden for them. I do this to or three times a week.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2018 7:11 AM

Is it true people only do good deeds to make themselves feel better? If so then doing good deeds is a selfish act? What say you?

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2018 7:30 AM

I smile and where possible make conversation with clearly elder, often solo people when I'm out walking daily. It's kind of a quid pro quo. I hope when I'm older, some young bud brightens my day in this way.

I am making assumptions about these strangers' personal circumstances I realize, but you read so often of endemic loneliness among old age folk especially, I figure the odds are in my favour.

Not that I put my social exchanges and graces of this type on any moral or vanity pedestal mind you! As R10 points out, so often the giver gains. I do.

I became conscious to actively do this, because I was sick of feeling so isolated, don't currently work, so some days even weeks would go by last year and this when other than some texting or in shopping I'd have no exchanges ever.

This freaked me out and depressed me excessively, so I deliberately instigated a definite shift in this.

I've recently done First Aider training and begun to think seriously in to volunteer in what are called 'welfare checks' - a programme run by our local Council. Often it can be mandated upon cops and social workers to investigate wellbeing or livelihood of someone in the community about whom someone else is worried, concerned by their absence.

I'm hesitant in a way in case it would be busybody-ish, or, worse, that I'd find a cardiac victim etc. But, as I said, it's possibly some future-pay it forward - kinda Karma in my mind (selfishness of spirit?) or anyway, making the a 'community' feel marginally more exactly that.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2018 9:11 AM

I leave dry cat food in a few places in the neighborhood for the cats.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2018 9:16 AM

R11, I think it's much more likely you'll discover a lot of people who are perfectly fine, but have meddlesome family members.

Or would this be a program just for the elderly/disabled?

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2018 9:18 AM

I'm not entirely sure at this point R13. it was suggested to me by someone who works as a social worker. I was believing the latter, but you have a valid point.

At this point, I figure it can't hurt to pursue and see what might usefully emerge.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2018 9:32 AM

When my coworker hauls out her phone, I will give the same responses that I give every morning.

"Yes, your dog is pretty."

"Your laundry room looks pretty, too."

"Are you going to rehang plastic ivy along with the plastic apples on top of the cabinets? How interesting. They collect dust, you know. You're allergic to dust. Perhaps, you should give them away."

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2018 10:11 AM

I may let somebody change into my lane today on my commute into work!

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2018 12:42 PM

I called out sick from work. My office gets a mini vacation from me

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2018 12:46 PM

I'm baking a batch of oatmeal-cherry cookies for my group therapy class.

And I'm picking up mail for two different neighbors who are on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2018 2:44 PM

R12 Ditto. I'm going to feed this very sweet and charming black and white kitty, who looks like he is wearing a tuxedo, in my apartment complex. Underneath the fluff he is pretty skinny and always hungry. I think his owners moved out and left him.

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2018 4:20 PM

I gave a co-worker a breath mint today. He really needed one so maybe that was a selfish thing to do. I was tired of smelling his stinky breath!

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2018 6:03 PM

I’m not going to change the subject while kids are caged by state-sanctioned terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2018 6:06 PM

[quote] R10: Is it true people only do good deeds to make themselves feel better? If so then doing good deeds is a selfish act? What say you?

I say it’s best to not pass judgement on anyone, or label them, especially people doing good deeds.

(I have heard OP’s arguement before, but why bother dissecting the matter?)

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2018 6:24 PM

I'm not going to tell old people " I hope they fucking croak"

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2018 6:51 PM

[quote] R11: I've recently done First Aider training and begun to think seriously in to volunteer in what are called 'welfare checks' ...

I called the cops on my parents once. My sister, who calls everybody, and often, told me she hadn’t heard from them in a while, nor had my other siblings. They were in Madeira Beach, Florida and not answering the phone. I pictured my Dad dead and my mother trapped under him and unable to move. So, I called the state police. They sent a couple troopers to check on them. They were fine, and got a kick out of it, and having to explain the troopers’ presence to their condo friends. The troopers told me they were called to do this all the time.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2018 6:52 PM

[quote] R18: I'm baking a batch of oatmeal-cherry cookies for my group therapy class.

Are you going to make cookie “courtesy offers” to your class, R18?

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2018 6:56 PM

I’m in south Texas and the heat has been brutal. Live in the burbs but we have lots of wild life including deer roaming around for food and water so I’ve been putting out a water bucket and food each day for a couple of weeks. Apples, carrots, grapes, nuts.

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2018 8:53 PM

Awww good job R26. Out of curiosity, is the produce getting eaten? I'm in Texas too. Brutally hot Houston.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2018 9:05 PM

R26, you're a good dude.

Thanks to the second cat lady upthread. (Or cat gentleman.)

I don't even like cats, but I feel bad for the kittens around the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2018 9:54 PM

R27 yes they are eating and drinking. A few other neighbors have put out water. Not sure if anyone else is feeding them. Lived here for years and have never seen it so bad for the wildlife.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2018 12:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!