Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

White people and golf

Every weekend- and often weekdays- millions of them dress near-identically and head out to knock a little white ball around the grass. Or watch someone else do it.

Their bland, butt-faced expressions are never happy, but content. It's one of the places they can feel heterosexual and affluent.

I always wonder what all that time and energy could be spent doing besides staring into nothingness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 21, 2018 9:57 AM

What's with the "white" in your subject line, you race baiter?

The body of your post could describe literally anyone with too much time on their hands.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2018 8:01 AM

I'm as white as Nicole Kidman, and I don't get it either.

I've just noticed that like a lot of white grownups' hobbies, it's pointless, difficult, expensive, time-consuming, and after spending decades at it you may just be at the intermediate level.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2018 8:02 AM

[quote] millions of them dress near-identically and head out to knock a little white ball around the grass

That's the look of leadership.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2018 8:09 AM

That may be, but this is not the look of breedership.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2018 8:36 AM

TIGER WOODS

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2018 9:30 AM

For most it's a social event-a place to network, show that they have as much money as the next guy. Tribal.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2018 9:34 AM

ll the NFL guys are into golf now OP. It has become quite popular with the more bougie people of color.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2018 9:35 AM

I miss George Carlin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2018 10:14 AM

Jesus Christ I wanted to kill the entire world yesterday because of the fucked up traffic out here due to the US Open. We always have bad traffic in summer but this traffic was galactic in scope. We’ve had the US Open here before and it was a minor inconvenience but everyone puts up with it because so many people have fun going to the open, but they made incredibly bone headed decisions about routing. They shut the back roads instead of using them to relieve traffic.

That said, I’ve never seen so many obviously rich people out here before. And I’m in Southampton, where rich people come out all summer long. Based on the level of tanning, I’d say there were lots of California media people out here. I’ve never seen such dark, unlined skin on white people before at this time of year, particulary older men.

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2018 10:26 PM

I grew up with a horrid stepdad who was a golfer so, sadly, my image of them all is based on him and his wretched, racist, wife-beating friends. Yes it’s a huge generalization. Just let me have this one.

by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2018 10:34 PM

I wish more people felt the way you do, OP. If fewer people played it would speed up play and it wouldn't be so hard to get tee times.

I started playing as a teenager and play at least every 10 days year round.

by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2018 10:46 PM

God love you, George Carlin, you are SORELY missed (and 100% correct).

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2018 10:48 PM

"White" …. "'them" ???? oh, OP, you should never question what "all that time and energy could be spent doing besides staring into nothingness" as you sit home alone, in front of a computer screen..

by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2018 10:52 PM

R9, surely you jest. Why I just read in the newspaper that Schneiderman is on it. They even printed a cute little “Travel Tips” side. C’mon, he’s saying the congestion has eased. A politician wouldn’t lie, would he? [/sarcasm]

by Anonymousreply 14June 13, 2018 10:54 PM

Poor people can like golf too. It is a game.

by Anonymousreply 15June 13, 2018 10:56 PM

I didn’t think gay men golfed as I’ve never seen a group of gay guys get together for a a golf outing but I suppose it could happen.

by Anonymousreply 16June 13, 2018 11:02 PM

The smart thing to do would have been to book rooms in Montauk/hotels resorts instead of Riverhead. Some poor souls were even booked in Islandia and Sayville and the lying hoteliers told them it was a 45 minute drive to Shinnecock. In the dead of winter it’s 45 minutes if you leave the hotel at 10am. Even in the off-season the “trade parade” leads to 20 mile traffic jams from 6:30 am -10am starting in Quogue. Then the trade parade westbound rush hour starts at 3pm, along with schoolbuses.

by Anonymousreply 17June 13, 2018 11:05 PM

Schneiderman served two terms as town supe of East Hampton as a Republican. Due to term limits he couldn’t run again, so he moved to Southampton town and ran as a Democrat.

Since he owns motels in Montauk, maybe he already put some people up out there.

by Anonymousreply 18June 13, 2018 11:08 PM

If you don't like golf, don't play or watch golf. Problem solved. And do you really think there are no gay golfers, R16?

by Anonymousreply 19June 13, 2018 11:20 PM

R16 that is just stupid and offensive. There are gay golf leagues everywhere. I play with straight and gay friends. I play with family. I play with strangers I get paired up with and I play alone. So yes, gay men play golf, you dolt.

by Anonymousreply 20June 13, 2018 11:23 PM

Wasn't golf popular in Japan at one point, or is it China? I remember reading somewhere in East Asia that some sort of golf facility was built where the players practiced swings from different levels.

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2018 11:30 PM

Korean people love golf

by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2018 11:32 PM

Historically, it combines two things a lot of men like (women too, but it used to be more guys). Drinking. And being outdoors all day. I'd throw in being away from the house for a lot of them. Conversation never flags - you've got eighteen holes to play and can discuss the lie, the put, the swing - you can just talk golf the whole time, and include sporadic references to other stuff while squinting down the green or lining up the ball. I tried it once (am female) and could not tolerate the outdoors in the blinding sun all day part, and I sucked at the drive. I wasn't willing to expend the energy to get a drive. I liked the golf cart part.

I know a gay guy whose dad, he told me, when he was in high school, would have him up at the break of dawn on weekends to hit the golf course. It was very serious golf, a full 18 holes, and this guy hated it. When he got to college and his friends were like "Hey, lets golf this Saturday." He was like "Are you fucking kidding me? Who'd want to do that to themselves?" He learned it meant get to the course at noon, with the golf cart loaded with cases of beer. He likes golf now.

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2018 11:40 PM

^So there were a "full 19 Holes"?

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2018 11:46 PM

[quote] I didn’t think gay men golfed

Perhaps not many but they seem to be recruiting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2018 11:47 PM

Golf is for people with no athletic skill. It's like playing darts.

I only played once at age 12, and I was hitting balls accurately and for hundreds of yards. Golf isn't hard, except maybe putting.

by Anonymousreply 26June 14, 2018 12:10 AM

Golf is one of those whiter than white pastimes, like boating.

by Anonymousreply 27June 14, 2018 12:14 AM

R15 are you implying that all or most white people are rich?

by Anonymousreply 28June 14, 2018 12:19 AM

Sure, r26, sure. Not hard to be a duffer with an 18 handicap. Notice how many are on the PGA Tour.

by Anonymousreply 29June 14, 2018 3:46 AM

To add, r26: That's why the saying, "Drive for show; putt for dough."

As for golfers' not being athletes, no, they aren't F1 drivers or Olympic skiers, but they expend more energy and brain power than a third-baseman.

by Anonymousreply 30June 14, 2018 3:52 AM

Brain power, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 31June 14, 2018 3:57 AM

Basic people

by Anonymousreply 32June 14, 2018 4:08 AM

It's not only for white people. After his trial, O.J. Simpson was frequently on the golf course looking for the murderer of his wife.

by Anonymousreply 33June 14, 2018 4:22 AM

"Hey, I just picked up some fresh clues about Nicole and Ron."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 14, 2018 4:25 AM

In the dictionary, the photo by "butt wagging smugness" is of a minority man holding a golf club.

by Anonymousreply 35June 14, 2018 4:28 AM

I suppose they could waste their time chasing empty meaningless sex.

by Anonymousreply 36June 14, 2018 4:38 AM

Tiger found a way to avoid the horrid traffic congestion between the hotel(or rented home) and Shinnecock. He took his yacht "Privacy" up the coast and is using it as his base. Seriously though, he keeps it in the same marina in North Palm Beach where we keep our more modest number so I have gotten on it a few times by flirting with a crew member onboard. It is amazing. It's more like a small cruise ship than a private yacht. The cost of maintaining and operating it must be well over one million per year. And I don't mean supplies or fuel. The salaries of the crew, captains and stewards added to the cost of keeping it in pristine condition would be over 1 mill. It is twice the size of those yachts you see on Below Deck.

by Anonymousreply 37June 14, 2018 5:42 AM

R37, how old was the article I read that had Tiger's ex-wife's boyfriend anchoring his yacht in the slip behind Tiger's, and the boyfriend's yacht was bigger?

by Anonymousreply 38June 20, 2018 12:29 AM

I just played a quick nine after work. I love this time of year, it stays light until 9 pm.

by Anonymousreply 39June 20, 2018 12:37 AM

It's seriously on the decline OP, both in the US and around the world.

Rightly or wrongly, younger people cannot give a shit about this game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 20, 2018 12:40 AM

A good walk spoiled...

by Anonymousreply 41June 20, 2018 1:11 AM

I live in a gated golf course community. Once a year, the course is opened to non members. A mass of Japanese nationals swarm the course. They are very polite and seem to really enjoy the sport.

by Anonymousreply 42June 20, 2018 1:20 AM

it is not even a full game. There is no defense at all , except maybe in match play

by Anonymousreply 43June 20, 2018 1:31 AM

R43 - I'll admit i don't play golf nor am I a fan. I've never heard golf referred to as a game. There are sports that don't have a defense. Most track and field sports. Competitive swimming.

by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2018 1:59 AM

You can't have an actual sport without cheerleaders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 20, 2018 2:43 AM

You know it's not a real sport when pot bellied men in their fifties can beat guys in their 20's on the "pro" circuit.

by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2018 2:50 AM

It's density control for strivers. You'd be amazed how many assholes keep a mobile office handy.

by Anonymousreply 47June 20, 2018 3:05 AM

R46 That pot belly poundage is part of their ability to beat slimmer more fit men. I remember when Daly, and even Nicklaus pared down by many pounds and they lost the power in their driving.

Being cardiovascular-ly fit really plays no big part in the sport. Being strong and muscular can.

by Anonymousreply 48June 20, 2018 8:25 AM

Speaking of white people and golf...

Good lawd!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 20, 2018 10:35 AM

DAMN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 20, 2018 10:37 AM

R43, You aren't very familiar with many sports, are you?

by Anonymousreply 51June 20, 2018 12:43 PM

Rory McIlroy is pretty hot and sports a nice swinging bulge whenever I see clips of him.

I don’t know who the dude at r49 is, but he’s hot.

by Anonymousreply 52June 20, 2018 8:23 PM

Brooks Koepka, r52. He just won the US Open. The real bulge is on Dustin Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2018 11:10 PM

Thanks for not only letting me know that, R53, but giving me another to look out for!

Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 54June 20, 2018 11:18 PM

There seems to be many hot golfers nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 55June 21, 2018 9:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!