Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Blimey! Where is this building in Manhattan?

It looks VERY peculiar.

What do YOU think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262June 21, 2018 4:30 AM

It looks like a game of Jenga.

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2018 3:10 PM

IIRC, it's in the financial district. I was just there and saw it and immediately said "it's a Jenga building!"

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2018 3:11 PM

near wall street. bloomberg, ghoulani and 9/11 destroyed nyc

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2018 3:12 PM

Blimey?

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2018 3:12 PM

It’s in TriBeCa and called 56 Leonard.

The units are obscenely expensive, with 450 square foot studios selling for $1.4MM.

It’s the most prestigious building in TriBeCa right now.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2018 3:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2018 3:14 PM

Almost as bad as the Norman Foster building on W57. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2018 3:14 PM

That very very tall narrow one, R7?

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2018 3:15 PM

It looks a different sort of ugly from different angles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2018 3:17 PM

It looks like it wasn’t “put together” right (if you know what I mean).

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2018 3:18 PM

I can't believe they're building high rises in Tri-fucking-beca.

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2018 3:20 PM

Makes me nauseous just looking ay various googlepix just now. The higher ups (literally and figuratively) "floating' on high in glass boxes - ewww no! Square footage in Mabhattan if you had those kinds of funds and means, post 9/11 too, I'd be after sonething MUCH more grounded- in every sense of that!

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2018 3:24 PM

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2018 3:28 PM

I see it every day and it makes me sick.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2018 3:29 PM

[quote]"It’s in TriBeCa and called 56 Leonard."

They keep trying to push that but everybody calls it the Jenga Tower and it will forever be known as the Jenga Tower

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2018 3:30 PM

It looks fun and modern.

The building I really hate is the One World Trade Center, no passion, no real design. Given the important of the Twin Towers you would think something amazing like the London Shard would have been put up, but no, they do that embarrassing OWTC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2018 3:34 PM

Looks like the set of Ready Player One.

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2018 3:36 PM

I don't care for the building. Tribeca is boring as fuck.

I hate the one WTC building as well.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2018 3:38 PM

Ugly and poorly designed building. 💩

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2018 3:43 PM

Buildings seem human to me. i often imagine them with a heart beat.

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2018 3:46 PM

I like a view - but this like is being on a plane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2018 3:47 PM

Just another shithole for evildoers to park their ill gotten gains.

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2018 3:48 PM

I wouldn't be comfortable in it. Plus what R22 said.

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2018 3:56 PM

Well then R20, what's your take on Our Lady Jenga then? That she's an ice cold heartless bitch? She looks that way to me.

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2018 4:00 PM

Isn’t there another odd-looking building in Chelsea?

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2018 4:14 PM

Some of you would prefer it if it had columns. And shutters.

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2018 4:26 PM

And lovely window boxes R26!

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2018 4:29 PM

What r22 said. These buildings are basically giant money-laundering schemes for foreign assholes.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2018 4:35 PM

I can't wait to get out of NYC. They're putting up these shitty towers everywhere like this is Sim City 4K or something, even in the outer boroughs.

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2018 4:37 PM

They are really going to destroy cities in a lot of ways.

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2018 4:46 PM

It looks like glass shipping containers and double-wide trailers stacked haphazardly.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2018 4:46 PM

Maybe it's because I am terrified of heights, but I am queasy just looking at the building. How can this architectual desgign be safe in a storm or an eartthquake?

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2018 4:52 PM

Sorry, architectural design

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2018 4:53 PM

I like that is doesn't look like rectangular box.

But people are right: This is just a vehicle for laundering money.

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2018 4:56 PM

All these high rises are being built so they can be sold at exorbitant prices to wealthy foreigners who need to park their dirty money somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2018 4:58 PM

The monorails can't be far behind.. The city can't withstand any more street traffic.

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2018 5:03 PM

Jenga Tower!

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2018 5:19 PM

A hurricane will take that out.

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2018 5:20 PM

There is no way they calculated the wind loads properly.

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2018 5:20 PM

Probably a millennial forgot to add three 000's.

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2018 5:21 PM

It looks Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2018 5:27 PM

R12, the word you want is “nauseated.”

The word “nauseous” means “causing nausea in others.”

by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2018 5:54 PM

This is what happens when improv hits architecture.

by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2018 6:16 PM

So we know Russians are laundering money buying overpriced boxes. When will the Chinese connection come to light? Will trump be involved too?

by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2018 6:57 PM

R16 "Passion" is not a desirable characteristic for an engineer building.

Those women who did that Florida bridge claimed to be "Passionate".

by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2018 6:58 PM

How many Americans live there?

by Anonymousreply 46June 2, 2018 7:35 PM

[quote]They are really going to destroy cities in a lot of ways.

It's already happening. I've been riding my bike in and around Brooklyn recently and was shocked by what I saw. What's happening here would make you cry. Quaint neighborhoods with two and three story turn of the century row houses and town houses are being torn down and having ugly modernist glass boxes being put up in their place. Imagine a long tree-lined street with nothing but two story brick houses and then a super tall eyesore smacked right in the middle of them. The developers plop these eyesores this way on purpose, to disrupt the character of the neighborhood so that residents no longer feel welcome and more and start moving out.

I was so disgusted and upset by all of this that I just gave up on NYC. I used to be a gentrification fighter, now I'm like, "Fuck you." Once East Flatbush and Midwood started going, that's when I was done. These developers are the biggest assholes, but hey, if they want to pave NYC over and turn it into one big gigantic outdoor mall where it's nothing but glass towers and shitty chain stores, more power to them. Turn a once quirky, energetic, artistic city into another Dubai or Morocco, then watch NYC fall in status as one of the major centers of art, music and fashion.

by Anonymousreply 47June 2, 2018 8:09 PM

I just went to NYC as a tourist for the first time and although I greatly enjoyed all it has to offer in the way of world-class museums and outdoor sculptures, I was amazed by how many chains are EVERYWHERE! It was sad to see a Starfucks on every damn corner in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 48June 2, 2018 8:12 PM

It looks like a vertical trailer park.

by Anonymousreply 49June 2, 2018 8:20 PM

[quote]The building I really hate is the One World Trade Center, no passion, no real design.

I don't like it in pictures, but in person it's actually OK, especially when it reflects the sky. At certain hour it blends in nicely.

[quote]Quaint neighborhoods with two and three story turn of the century row houses and town houses are being torn down and having ugly modernist glass boxes being put up in their place.

I'm hoping that this fad of glass residential buildings will die soon. Most of them have zero character and look dated just after a few years.

by Anonymousreply 50June 2, 2018 8:24 PM

It's symbolic of the new ugliness which has taken over NYC.

by Anonymousreply 51June 2, 2018 8:25 PM

We left 4 years ago after almost 4 decades living in NYC. We won't be back.

by Anonymousreply 52June 2, 2018 8:33 PM

My humblest apologies, R48. We've been fighting the good fight against chains for over a decade. But the reason why we've been losing the battle is that greedy developers drove up the rents so high that only chain stores can avoid to move in now. As a result, we've lost so many established indie stores over the past 10 years. We even almost lost FAO Schwarz (which, after closing two years ago, is returning).

Aside from the skyrocketing rent, part of the problem, too, are the transplants. Back in the day, transplants used to want to come here for the NYC experience. They loved the local stores and the hallowed institutions. But the newest waves aren't like that. They look down on NYC indies as trashy and plebeian, and are all about branding, trendiness and the corporate experience.

That's why you see so many Starbucks now. All of our coffee vendors and indie coffee shops used to be indie. We had so many of indies that they made a coffee cup famous (see link) because you used to see everyone in NYC carrying them around. Do you see anyone with these cups anymore? No. Because many of the indies died out. The new transplants have been rejecting them in droves; they would rather sit in a sterile, fluorescent-lit environment drinking overpriced "branded" coffee than patronize a place that has character and gives you coffee in a ubiquitous cup that everyone else is carrying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 2, 2018 8:45 PM

[quote]We had so many of indies that they made a coffee cup famous (see link) because you used to see everyone in NYC carrying them around. Do you see anyone with these cups anymore?

Remember the I Love NY ones?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 2, 2018 8:59 PM

I saw a ceramic version of r53.

Considered buying it.

by Anonymousreply 55June 2, 2018 9:01 PM

[quote]Quaint neighborhoods with two and three story turn of the century row houses and town houses are being torn down and having ugly modernist glass boxes being put up in their place. Imagine a long tree-lined street with nothing but two story brick houses and then a super tall eyesore smacked right in the middle of them

Saw something similar happen in Vancouver, BC. It is nothing like it was decades ago.

[quote]Turn a once quirky, energetic, artistic city into another Dubai or Morocco, then watch NYC fall in status as one of the major centers of art, music and fashion.

Yes. That is what is happening. It is depressing. The new transplants like it.

by Anonymousreply 56June 2, 2018 9:12 PM

R55 where did you see that?

I MUST buy that.

by Anonymousreply 57June 2, 2018 9:18 PM

I think it was at the MoMA gift shop or something, but here’s one on Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 2, 2018 9:21 PM

^^^Thank you!! That’s awesome!

by Anonymousreply 59June 2, 2018 9:24 PM

I had to seek out a non-chain cup of coffee in mid-town Manhattan. It was strange and more than a bit sad.

by Anonymousreply 60June 2, 2018 9:28 PM

...[R48] so sorry that we New Yorkers are living our lives in our city. Maybe try Colonial Willamsburg (its in Virginia, not Brooklyn)

[R16], by any chance is your apt rent stabilized and can I have it when you go?

'indy coffee shops"? You folks are delusional. The cup design is great but the cups were famous not for the quality of the coffee but for their ubiquitous usage. Streetside carts, bodegas and cheap coffee shops (in the New York sense of diners). The quality of the coffee itself? Hit-or-miss at best.

1 WTC is, unintentionally, a perfect tribute to the mediocre architecture of the original World Trade Center.

. The Jenga building is the view outside my office window. I could never imagine living in something that seems so precarious but there are times of the day where it is stunning as the light hits it at different angles

by Anonymousreply 61June 2, 2018 10:10 PM

Be Best!

by Anonymousreply 62June 2, 2018 10:16 PM

I think it fails because it doesn’t go far enough. Pretty ordinary box most of the way up with the Jenga effect limited to the top floors. Should Jenga all the way, I say.

Archirects (Herzog & de Meuron) have won the Pritzker Prize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 2, 2018 10:17 PM

i like it.

by Anonymousreply 64June 2, 2018 10:18 PM

[quote]You folks are delusional. The cup design is great but the cups were famous not for the quality of the coffee but for their ubiquitous usage. Streetside carts, bodegas and cheap coffee shops (in the New York sense of diners).

Huh? That was literally my point earlier--that indie coffee shops were so widespread in NYC at some point that all you saw were people drinking from those cups, as opposed to now, where there are practically no indies left but all we have are crappy, overpriced Starbucks chains everywhere.

Is there something wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 65June 2, 2018 10:31 PM

If you bother to click on OP's pic and then click on it again it blows up big. The street seems very dark, even in the day.

and one thing that takes me aback when I see videos and pics of NYC, is how CLEAN it is now!

I went back to NYC circa '96, having left in '88 and even then I saw how many of the nice old places I'd known since I was a kid had gone.

by Anonymousreply 66June 2, 2018 10:34 PM

[quote]where there are practically no indies left but all we have are crappy, overpriced Starbucks chains everywhere.

even in '96 there were three Starbucks on Astor Place. You could stand in front of one and see two others.

This has been going on for a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 67June 2, 2018 10:36 PM

Starbucks is terrible coffee.

by Anonymousreply 68June 2, 2018 10:53 PM

R51 It's symbolic of the new ugliness which has taken over Western Culture.

Post Modern = Satirical, Instability, Amoral, Nihilistic.

by Anonymousreply 69June 2, 2018 11:07 PM

Another interesting view. I quite like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 2, 2018 11:12 PM

Most of the floors have only 1 or 2 apartments. 60 floors, only 145 units.

by Anonymousreply 71June 2, 2018 11:13 PM

Cool!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 2, 2018 11:14 PM

$53 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 2, 2018 11:16 PM

Whitn the last 12-15 years, thanks mostly to Bloomberg's rezoning, there has been a shitload of horrific office building and luxury residential towers that have destroyed the sensibility and the aesthetics of the NYC skyline. As a lifelong New Yorker I was proud of how the city looked, and now I'm embarassed.

by Anonymousreply 74June 2, 2018 11:16 PM

Modern architecture, like modern fashion, is nothing now but gimmicks. No taste, no craft. But this has been going on for several decades now. No craft, just gimmicks.

by Anonymousreply 75June 2, 2018 11:18 PM

R69, yes, and appropriately, I suppose it has been given something called "Pritzker Prize"

by Anonymousreply 76June 2, 2018 11:18 PM

There was a good DL thread about the ugly ego-stunt architecture that doesn't attempt to fit into its surroundings.

by Anonymousreply 77June 2, 2018 11:19 PM

This is happening in many cities, R74. It's globalismarchitecture. No borders. Nations, cities, local and national culture must be destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 78June 2, 2018 11:21 PM

[quote]This has been going on for a very long time.

Yes, I know but it wasn't as bad then as it is now. Back in the day, those Starbucks were always concentrated in certain areas of Manhattan. It wasn't until later when they started sprouting all over the outer boroughs, especially in mom and pop-friendly Park Slope, which was the last place on earth anyone would've opened one. That's when the tide turned.

by Anonymousreply 79June 2, 2018 11:21 PM

Yes, it has gotten much worse in the past 10 years

by Anonymousreply 80June 2, 2018 11:22 PM

It didint turn out as well as the renders suggested it would.

II’d much rather buy in this building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 2, 2018 11:27 PM

It's ugly. New can be handsome, as this building in Chicago shows, but mostly it's all just crap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 2, 2018 11:44 PM

Ugly as sin!!

by Anonymousreply 83June 2, 2018 11:49 PM

I'm nauseated at that one as well.

Buildings aren't supposed to follow ridiculous fashion trends; Ladies' clothes are.

The hideous thing will develop hairline cracks in the concrete in the next 5 years

by Anonymousreply 84June 2, 2018 11:53 PM

Those unfinished concrete columns are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 85June 3, 2018 12:05 AM

It looks like it should be in Tel Aviv with laundry hanging out of the windows.

by Anonymousreply 86June 3, 2018 12:08 AM

It looks like it is going to fall over.

by Anonymousreply 87June 3, 2018 12:25 AM

Cor blimey, guv!

by Anonymousreply 88June 3, 2018 12:28 AM

another view

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 3, 2018 12:28 AM

Jihadists just love these kinds of structure!

by Anonymousreply 90June 3, 2018 12:32 AM

If I had that kind of money, I'd prefer to buy a lovely townhouse.

by Anonymousreply 91June 3, 2018 12:41 AM

I want R81's apartment.

by Anonymousreply 92June 3, 2018 1:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 3, 2018 1:25 AM

It's a great building.

by Anonymousreply 94June 3, 2018 1:40 AM

You walk by these new buildings at night, and there aren't many lights on, even though "occupancy" is at or near 100%. It's because most of the owners aren't even living there, it's just a place to park their ill-gotten millions. There are now entire blocks in the city that are like ghost towns because hardly anyone is living there, just parking their money in apartment they have no intention of occupying. It's so fucking depressing.

by Anonymousreply 95June 3, 2018 1:44 AM

I hate the way this building has changed the skyline. I work in TriBeCa and have to see this gangly, misshapen thing everyday. So out of place.

They were trying to make it unique compared to all the other glass boxes in the sky. I hate those too, and they’re everywhere now. The Lower East Side is soon going to be filled with them. De Blasio has allowed so many to go up so long as they include some set aside for “affordable housing.”

by Anonymousreply 96June 3, 2018 4:38 AM

LOL what does "affordable housing" mean in Manhattan?

by Anonymousreply 97June 3, 2018 4:39 AM

R97 there are varying levels based on income, and the area median income. In a neighborhood like the lower east side, someone making under 40,000 would be paying 800 for a studio, someone making under 75,000 would pay 1700, etc. But each building is different and the developers get to decide how they want it set up. It’s not a great system and it’s lottery based so they get hundreds of thousands of applications for 10-20 apartments.

by Anonymousreply 98June 3, 2018 4:48 AM

affordable housing is a necessity of life. leaving a lottery system to sort this out is cruel and corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 99June 3, 2018 4:51 AM

If they're building them for billionaire tax shelters, you'd think they wouldn't look like the deck of a trashy Asian Cargo ship. Their only purpose for the city is the aesthetics if they're not actually being lived in.

by Anonymousreply 100June 3, 2018 5:04 AM

I think Jenga Tower is a good addition to the skyline. At least it's not just another boring box. The same with 1WTC, but I think we really missed the boat on that one; we should have rebuilt the iconic WTC sister buildings and put a slightly modern twist on them; perhaps with huge, multi-story open memorial holes with space and greenery to make a point on the impact floors.

by Anonymousreply 101June 3, 2018 5:34 PM

[quote] Yes, it has gotten much worse in the past 10 years

Especially since the 2008 economic downturn.

by Anonymousreply 102June 3, 2018 5:48 PM

[quote]we should have rebuilt the iconic WTC sister buildings

Never thought of that. I agree. They should have rebuilt them but BETTER. It would have been a clear sign of "we have not been defeated..in fact, we're better for it....we have risen again etc..."

& personally, I was a big fan of the original buildings...always was. A lot of people have knocked them (excuse the pun) since.

by Anonymousreply 103June 3, 2018 5:50 PM

Another new mega-tall one going up, on what looks like 57th Street.

I just wish they'd keep them away from the park. They cast shadows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 3, 2018 5:54 PM

I'd love to live in that building with all the absentee owners. Think of all the peace and quiet you'd have. But I must say, I love a lot of glass, but that's just too much.

by Anonymousreply 105June 3, 2018 5:58 PM

Everybody hated the original WTC. It was considered an eyesore from the day it was constructed.

by Anonymousreply 106June 3, 2018 6:48 PM

r104 Fran Lebowitz has gone on tirades about that monstrosity on 57th St.

by Anonymousreply 107June 3, 2018 6:48 PM

[quote]that indie coffee shops were so widespread in NYC at some point that all you saw were people drinking from those cups, as opposed to now, where there are practically no indies left but all we have are crappy, overpriced Starbucks chains everywhere.

There are plenty of independent coffee shops with excellent coffee in Manhattan, especially downtown. They're not as ubiquitous, or convenient, as Starbucks, but they are there. And the coffee they make is kick-ass. Plus, after a while, they remember you and what you order. Personal is hard to find in cities anymore. Look for it where you can.

by Anonymousreply 108June 3, 2018 6:53 PM

R42 WRONG! R12 is using the word correctly

by Anonymousreply 109June 3, 2018 6:58 PM

[quote] Fran Lebowitz has gone on tirades about that monstrosity on 57th St.

As have most people who've been forced to look at Fran Lebowitz.

by Anonymousreply 110June 3, 2018 7:00 PM

R106 I loved WTC towers. I was within a block of the 1993 attack-flurries of snow on the West Side Highway, and later that evening, at about 9.30, as I looked down Hudson St towards the towers, the lights in the upper halves of the towers suddenly came on. As a newbie in the city, i realised that nothing could keep NY down. I miss them.

by Anonymousreply 111June 3, 2018 7:02 PM

[quote]I want [R81]'s apartment.

All that money so all your neighbors can look in your windows? IDGI.

by Anonymousreply 112June 3, 2018 7:02 PM

These narrow things looks so unstable and everyone knows they exist to grab money.

by Anonymousreply 113June 3, 2018 7:03 PM

I kind of grew to like the original WTC towers. The new one is just a snooze. They even cheaped out on the Radio Antenna. My friends bought a place in the Jenga tower, fully expecting to live in it, 53rd Floor, $20M. They got their deposit back before it was finished and moved to Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 114June 3, 2018 7:04 PM

i can't believe they are building not one but two super tall buildings on the west 57 street. There are too many and no way it's gonna sell out. Also, just this past week, work on one of the buildings also on 57th street had to be stopped because a sheet of glass fell down and the construction worker died. not sure if it's one of these buildings but maybe it's another one middle of billionaire row.

by Anonymousreply 115June 3, 2018 7:04 PM

i like the original twin towers. I love it when I see it in old movies shot in NYC.

I used to see it all the time when I lived in the village, pity I took very few pics of it...this is before cell phone cameras.

by Anonymousreply 116June 3, 2018 7:07 PM

In New York, windows get filthy in no time. So, how does this mass of glass get cleaned on a building this tall? Or do owners live with filthy views from their 20M dollar apartments?

by Anonymousreply 117June 3, 2018 7:17 PM

Have they ever done an investigation to see how many people actually reside in these buildings? Like actually live there?

by Anonymousreply 118June 3, 2018 7:23 PM

Nearly a quarter of all condos in some parts of downtown Vancouver area are empty or occupied only part of the year by non-residents, according to data from the 2011 census data.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 3, 2018 7:39 PM

City of Vancouver report reveals 25,495 homes either empty or used by temporary and foreign residents

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 3, 2018 7:40 PM

I bet the ledges get a lot of crud on them.

by Anonymousreply 121June 3, 2018 7:42 PM

You can pay millions to live where the next 9/11 style attack will be. Smashing!

by Anonymousreply 122June 3, 2018 7:48 PM

{quote] Blimey!

OP, are you the Artful Dodger?

by Anonymousreply 123June 3, 2018 7:49 PM

Fear of heights here. Just looking at that building and windows makes me feel carsick. I like my windows taking as little wall space as possible. I could not stand floor to ceiling windows. I seriously think being rich makes people stupid. Who else would pay such prices for that!

by Anonymousreply 124June 3, 2018 8:12 PM

[quote]I'd love to live in that building with all the absentee owners. Think of all the peace and quiet you'd have. But I must say, I love a lot of glass, but that's just too much.

There was an article that was written years ago about this very thing. I've been searching for it for ages for but can't turn it up. It was about a woman who lived in a luxury NYC building. She was the lone tenant for several months out of the year because of her neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 125June 3, 2018 8:17 PM

yeah. it would be so cool to be able to blast your music out loud and nobody can complain!

by Anonymousreply 126June 4, 2018 12:06 AM

I don't like WTC from a distance but then I stood at the very bottom of it and looked up and the view from the ground is cool - the way it's shaped it seems to stretch into infinity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 4, 2018 12:12 AM

What's weird are the people who live in those glass boxes who don't have any curtains, even in the bedrooms.

by Anonymousreply 128June 4, 2018 12:33 AM

Are there any decent looking NYC buildings erected in the last 5 years?

by Anonymousreply 129June 4, 2018 3:48 AM

[quote]What's weird are the people who live in those glass boxes who don't have any curtains, even in the bedrooms.

I cannot find it for the life of me (just only articles now), but there was a video of a couple having sex in a high rise building that was shot by a construction crew working across the street. That video showed that no matter how high up you are, people in nearby buildings will have a crystal clear view of what you're doing if you don't draw the drapes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130June 4, 2018 4:05 AM

They should have rebuilt the twin towers, a stong tall meaty solid structure. Today it seems the only thing they're building is pencil dicked structures

by Anonymousreply 131June 4, 2018 4:08 AM

Twinks in skinny jeans

by Anonymousreply 132June 4, 2018 4:15 AM

R16 I know! I never thought in my lifetime I'd ever see London have an iconic skyline to rival Manhattan, but they are getting one and I think it looks fantastic. Even some of the anti-pro development people are softening their dislike of it a little as it's helping redefine the place a whole, and it does look so majestic and largely in harmony with the rest of the city. Maybe this kind of new style in Manhattan is the NYC version of the Brutalist building regime that blighted London from the 1950s to '70s? This is how City of London will look after the new Bishopsgate building is complete next year:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 4, 2018 4:58 AM

What's the cylindrical-shaped building that looks like a giant vibrator? I see that in a lot of British tv shows.

by Anonymousreply 134June 4, 2018 5:29 AM

What will they do with all those towers when the bankers leave for Europe?

by Anonymousreply 135June 4, 2018 5:35 AM

The west side of Lower Manhattan has looked like shit for a very long time. Short stubby buildings. I remember going to that restaurant in Brooklyn with the views way back in 1983 and thinking "It's not very impressive, quite frankly".

(if you click on this it opens out >)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 4, 2018 5:53 AM

But in the '50s it looked like this >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 4, 2018 5:56 AM

These buildings could be anytown middle America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138June 4, 2018 6:01 AM

The THRILL of seeing Manhattan from Brooklyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 4, 2018 6:03 AM

R134 - that's 30 St Mary Axe, aka The Gherkin. It's one of my favourite skyscrapers in London - to view, not to work in (it's remarkably pedestrian on the inside).

by Anonymousreply 140June 4, 2018 7:12 AM

that building in the center of the pic of london R133 looks like it's giving you the finger LOL

by Anonymousreply 141June 4, 2018 8:14 AM

R141 the tower giving the finger is Bishopsgate and is actually a scaled back version of what locals screamed was going to make London "Dubai on The Thames" (the original design is in the link). But I actually love the plan they went with, and find it very reminiscent power towers of Chicago and NYC of the 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142June 4, 2018 9:29 AM

It looks Post-Apocalyptic.

Escape from New York, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 143June 4, 2018 4:35 PM

R136, that is the EAST side of lower Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 144June 4, 2018 4:35 PM

They are right about it making it Dubai on the Thames. How depressing! Poor London!

by Anonymousreply 145June 4, 2018 4:38 PM

[quote]Pretty ordinary box most of the way up with the Jenga effect limited to the top floors.

That's what I like about it. It deconstructs as it gets taller until it looks like it's about to fly apart.

by Anonymousreply 146June 4, 2018 4:48 PM

[quote]They are right about it making it Dubai on the Thames. How depressing! Poor London!

Gurl, don't feel too sorry for us. I know you want to.

That is the financial district, known as "The City". Most of us never even see that part of London. Most of us never even see the fucking Thames.

by Anonymousreply 147June 4, 2018 4:51 PM

I know, R147, but still...

by Anonymousreply 148June 4, 2018 4:53 PM

[quote] I know! I never thought in my lifetime I'd ever see London have an iconic skyline to rival Manhattan, but they are getting one and I think it looks fantastic.

Maybe in 50 years (or more) London will have a skyline to rival NYC. But it's nowhere near that now. The section of London that has a tight assemblage of towers is minuscule compared the the whole of Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 149June 4, 2018 4:59 PM

[quote]I know, [R147], but still...

But still what? It can't stay looking like THIS forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 4, 2018 5:00 PM

R136 just showed herself up as poseur flyover trash with that misidentified photo.

by Anonymousreply 151June 4, 2018 5:02 PM

[quote]Maybe in 50 years (or more) London will have a skyline to rival NYC. But it's nowhere near that now. The section of London that has a tight assemblage of towers is minuscule compared the the whole of Manhattan.

It NEVER will. Do you know how TINY Manhattan is? It HAD to grow upwards and it's all hard rock, condusive to skyscraper building

by Anonymousreply 152June 4, 2018 5:03 PM

[quote][R136] just showed herself up as poseur flyover trash with that misidentified photo.

Flyover? Hardly. I'm a Londoner who lived in New York years ago. I got my east and west confused for a second. If that's your go to insult, it says more about YOU than me.

by Anonymousreply 153June 4, 2018 5:06 PM

[quote]Do you know how TINY Manhattan is?

This “tiny.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154June 4, 2018 5:11 PM

Yes, in comparison to London, it's tiny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 4, 2018 5:15 PM

[quote]I got my east and west confused for a second. If that's your go to insult, it says more about YOU than me.

I'm not R151, but he was right to call you out. How on earth can anyone confuse the east and west side of Manhattan? And what restaurant with the views from Brooklyn are you even talking about?

by Anonymousreply 156June 4, 2018 5:26 PM

[quote]I'm not [R151], but he was right to call you out. How on earth can anyone confuse the east and west side of Manhattan?

Very easily pea-brain.

[quote]And what restaurant with the views from Brooklyn are you even talking about?

A real New Yorker could tell you in a second. You belong on the Cleveland thread.

by Anonymousreply 157June 4, 2018 5:33 PM

Erna's hole can take that building.

by Anonymousreply 158June 4, 2018 5:37 PM

[quote]And what restaurant with the views from Brooklyn are you even talking about?

River Cafe, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 159June 4, 2018 5:41 PM

Manhattan is about the same size as central London. NYC as a whole (excluding any suburbs) is comparable to Greater London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160June 4, 2018 5:44 PM

R150, I'd rather that than Dubai

by Anonymousreply 161June 4, 2018 6:07 PM

Yeah - London is way too spread out and needs more high(er) rise construction. It’s like San Francisco - trying to keep things the same when there is an urgent housing crisis that prevents among people for being able to live there. There’s a happy medium. Like recent development in the West Village in NYC - somewhat congruent with historical neighborhood but a little taller than existing buildings (unfortunately because people are buying huge 3,000 sq ft apartments, it hasn’t actually increased the number of dwelling units- but that’s another issue)

by Anonymousreply 162June 4, 2018 6:25 PM

[quote]Very easily pea-brain.

It's not very easy at all, jackass The Twin Towers were more prominent on the west side of Manhattan. You remember the Twin Towers, right?

Oh, wait--

[quote]The west side of Lower Manhattan has looked like shit for a very long time. Short stubby buildings. I remember going to that restaurant in Brooklyn with the views way back in 1983 and thinking "It's not very impressive, quite frankly".

Yes. The skyline of Lower Manhattan looked particularly like shit back in 1983 and for a very long time, what with its short stubby buildings and those two iconic structures called the Twin Towers. Yeah. Nothing but stubby buildings. And two tall, steel grey structures called the Twin Towers.

[quote]A real New Yorker could tell you in a second. You belong on the Cleveland thread.

But....I was asking you, the poser who was running off at the mouth ranting about how the "west" side of Lower Manhattan looks like crap. Don't you think you should at least have even a working grasp of a city's geography before trashing it? Or even bother to remember that the part of the skyline you were bashing as always looking like crap and having nothing but stubby buildings was the part that contained its two most iconic structures?

I love how you compounded your idiocy by continuing to post the same tightly cropped shots of Lower Manhattan post 9/11 (at least I think that was you), to make your point that this is how that part of the skyline always looked, when it didn't look like that when you were supposedly there in 1983 and not for another 18 years later.

Why don't you just wave the white flag, admit that R151 got you pegged and walk away now before you embarrass yourself any further?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163June 4, 2018 6:40 PM

Why does London have to become more crowded and more Dubai-like?

by Anonymousreply 164June 4, 2018 6:41 PM

[quote]I got my east and west confused for a second.

Understandable, with dem driving on the wrong side of the road over there.

by Anonymousreply 165June 4, 2018 6:45 PM

Wow! Someone (R163) has WAY too much time on her hands.

[quote]walk away now before you embarrass yourself any further?

Exactly. Off you trot!

by Anonymousreply 166June 4, 2018 8:32 PM

Blimey, mate, they are going to destroy cities. It is all going to hell so fast and no one voted or wanted this.

by Anonymousreply 167June 4, 2018 8:37 PM

r163 is the type of cunt that can make NYC miserable.

by Anonymousreply 168June 4, 2018 9:52 PM

Yes, she's AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 169June 4, 2018 10:16 PM

People who don't like One World Trade are annoying in the same way that people who don't own a television set are annoying.

by Anonymousreply 170June 4, 2018 10:24 PM

What the fuck is R163 even talking about?

by Anonymousreply 171June 4, 2018 10:26 PM

It's like a tall version of Habitat '67

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172June 4, 2018 10:31 PM

How to make it - let Uma show you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173June 4, 2018 10:37 PM

sorry, I thought I was on the Kefir thread for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 174June 4, 2018 10:39 PM

It's rumored that Ryan Seacrest and "girlfriend" Shayna are tenants.

by Anonymousreply 175June 4, 2018 10:39 PM

You'll be right at home ..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176June 4, 2018 10:42 PM

[quote]What the fuck is [R163] even talking about?

God knows. Didn't even read the whole thing. She's been chasing me all over this thread with her misinformed nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 177June 4, 2018 10:47 PM

I believe r163 is that Dear Heart/Cupcake troll. A thoroughly miserable creature.

by Anonymousreply 178June 4, 2018 10:48 PM

Get a fly swatter

by Anonymousreply 179June 4, 2018 10:48 PM

[quote]The west side of Lower Manhattan has looked like shit for a very long time. Short stubby buildings. I remember going to that restaurant in Brooklyn with the views way back in 1983 and thinking "It's not very impressive, quite frankly".

Doesn't the River Cafe have a view of the East Side?

by Anonymousreply 180June 4, 2018 10:51 PM

[quote]I believe [R163] is that Dear Heart/Cupcake troll. A thoroughly miserable creature.

Oh, right. I hope I never cross paths with her again. It was MOST unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 181June 4, 2018 10:52 PM

[quote]Doesn't the River Cafe have a view of the East Side?

YES.

We cleared this up about 50 posts ago.

by Anonymousreply 182June 4, 2018 10:54 PM

[quote]sorry, I thought I was on the Kefir thread for some reason.

Once it descends into a cat fight, what difference does it make?

by Anonymousreply 183June 4, 2018 10:55 PM

The River Cafe isn't all that. And in the summer you get the stench of the East River on particularly humid days. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 184June 4, 2018 10:56 PM

[quote]I believe [R163] is that Dear Heart/Cupcake troll.

WTF?

Can you link the it?

by Anonymousreply 185June 4, 2018 10:56 PM

[quote]The River Cafe isn't all that. And in the summer you get the stench of the East River on particularly humid days. Blech.

I never liked it, personally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186June 4, 2018 10:58 PM

r186 I have no idea what you're referencing.

by Anonymousreply 187June 4, 2018 11:01 PM

You're not homosexual, are you, R187?

by Anonymousreply 188June 4, 2018 11:03 PM

I am 100% homosexual and still have no idea what that pic is from. If looks like it's from the 70s is all I can say.

by Anonymousreply 189June 4, 2018 11:04 PM

[quote]I am 100% homosexual

Do you know who THIS is, without looking it up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190June 4, 2018 11:08 PM

What is so specifically gay about Terms of Endearment?

by Anonymousreply 191June 4, 2018 11:08 PM

[quote]What is so specifically gay about Terms of Endearment?

Who ARE these people?

by Anonymousreply 192June 4, 2018 11:10 PM

r192 Answer the question, dumbass. There's not one gay character in it.

by Anonymousreply 193June 4, 2018 11:11 PM

[R192] Answer the question, dumbass. There's not one gay character in it.

That's the stupidest remark I've read on DL in a very long time. Dumbass!

by Anonymousreply 194June 4, 2018 11:17 PM

Well, go comfort yourself, Clarissa, with Shirley and Debra.

by Anonymousreply 195June 4, 2018 11:18 PM

pull her gay card

by Anonymousreply 196June 4, 2018 11:30 PM

LOL I have no idea who the woman in r190's pic is either!

by Anonymousreply 197June 4, 2018 11:35 PM

Oh wait a minute, the woman in r186 is Debra Winger? That's Terms of Endearment? I've never actually seen that movie. I have seen Beaches, though, which was from around the same time.

by Anonymousreply 198June 4, 2018 11:37 PM

Terms of Endearment was 1983, Beaches 1988. They seem like two different eras in my life. So many people I knew in 1983, well, didn't get to see Beaches.

by Anonymousreply 199June 4, 2018 11:39 PM

Terms of Endearment is one gay camp movie I've never seen. Is it any good? I've never liked Shirley MacLaine, although she was pretty good in Postcards From the Edge.

by Anonymousreply 200June 4, 2018 11:49 PM

I've never liked Shirley MacLaine with her crinkly voice.

And she reminds me of that dreary Jack Lemmon whom Billy Wilder would always condescendingly cast as the little American know-nothing 'putz'.

by Anonymousreply 201June 5, 2018 12:11 AM

Tearjerker. Meh. How about posting a real movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202June 5, 2018 12:34 AM

[quote]LOL I have no idea who the woman in [R190]'s pic is either!

You're a very ill-informed homosexual. You have a lot of work to do.

by Anonymousreply 203June 5, 2018 12:43 AM

[quote]I've never liked Shirley MacLaine with her crinkly voice. And she reminds me of that dreary Jack Lemmon whom Billy Wilder would always condescendingly cast as the little American know-nothing 'putz'.

Shirley Maclaine reminds you of Jack Lemmon?

by Anonymousreply 204June 5, 2018 12:45 AM

When did this thread switch from modern architecture to peculiar gay icons?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 5, 2018 12:47 AM

Who is the woman in r190's pic?

by Anonymousreply 206June 5, 2018 12:49 AM

[quote]Who is the woman in [R190]'s pic?

Maybe if there's a GENUINE homosexual along soon - he can inform you.

by Anonymousreply 207June 5, 2018 12:53 AM

It's not like the woman in r190's pic is Bette Midler or Liza or Bette Davis, someone who would be instantly recogizable.

by Anonymousreply 208June 5, 2018 12:55 AM

You can't beat Helen Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 209June 5, 2018 1:06 AM

r205 this is DL. Innocent, innocuous cooking threads turn into black rage holes where posters tell each other to ram a tractor-trailer up their gaping, flyover anuses.

The 'reasonable' replies are all bemoaning the end of the civilized world and culture as we know it over mayonnaise. This is nothing.

Back on topic, it's interesting no one has come forward with another recent building that they like (or at least appreciate, even if it's not their style.) As a foreign flyover, I always associate NYC with the brownstones and iconic buildings like the Flatiron & the Chrysler building. The newer ones could be anywhere. I wonder why there isn't a NYC Style, like past architecture.

by Anonymousreply 210June 5, 2018 1:22 AM

The NYC Style were those 1930s ones with 'set-backs' so as not to overshadow the streets.

The NY Council doesn't seem to demand 'set-backs' any more.

by Anonymousreply 211June 5, 2018 1:25 AM

r211 I know it gets a lot of flak, but I absolutely love the Seagram building, and that was what--1958? I think of it as iconic, too. It also has the setback.

by Anonymousreply 212June 5, 2018 1:26 AM

[quote]The NY Council doesn't seem to demand 'set-backs' any more.

Remember when they passed a law in the '70s, that any building over a certain height had to supply something on street level in return?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213June 5, 2018 1:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214June 5, 2018 1:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215June 5, 2018 1:51 AM

I'm Burger King on East 57th St....between Madison and Park, unbelievably.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216June 5, 2018 1:55 AM

I'm R211. I meant these kind of setbacks which made Manhattan's first generation of skyscrapers look so distinctive.

The Seagram Building and the other 1960s blocks ignored that look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217June 5, 2018 1:58 AM

[quote]I'm [R211]. I meant these kind of setbacks which made Manhattan's first generation of skyscrapers look so distinctive.

They looked great. I didn't know they were called set-backs.

by Anonymousreply 218June 5, 2018 2:01 AM

Those 'setbacks' make the building look stable and less easily destroyed by The Jihadists.

Even the Flatiron looks rather top-heavy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219June 5, 2018 3:03 AM

R217 But the Seagrams Building is architecturally distinctive and it has a big plaza in front with fountains. The entire building itself is setback allowing unobstructed sunlight and air. The same applies to several of the large buildings on 6th Avenue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220June 5, 2018 12:27 PM

I always liked the Seagram's Building and that part of Sixth Avenue, r220.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221June 5, 2018 12:31 PM

The Exxon Building

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222June 5, 2018 12:36 PM

I think this was shot in the Seagram in 1960.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223June 5, 2018 12:44 PM

R223 It took me a couple of second before I realized the guy on the left was Billy Wilder and not the Dalai Lama.

by Anonymousreply 224June 5, 2018 12:51 PM

I wonder if some sort of window coverings are provided in those apartments. The ones I've seen don't apPear to have anything, unless they have that system where you can press a button and make the glass go opaque. Otherwise people in other tall buildings could see you taking a bath, OR FUCKING!

by Anonymousreply 225June 5, 2018 1:02 PM

r225 Maybe the windows are made of that schmancy frosting glass. You know, like you see in all the top clubs.

by Anonymousreply 226June 5, 2018 1:30 PM

If you live in a glass (pent)house, don't throw stones.

by Anonymousreply 227June 5, 2018 1:52 PM

[quote]If you live in a glass (pent)house, don't throw stones.

Especially up.

by Anonymousreply 228June 5, 2018 1:54 PM

yes, i love the seagram building, walk by there every day.

by Anonymousreply 229June 5, 2018 2:07 PM

That's the building where Bowie and Iman lived.

by Anonymousreply 230June 5, 2018 2:09 PM

[quote]That's the building where Bowie and Iman lived.

Whoa! SUPER-COOL!

by Anonymousreply 231June 5, 2018 2:12 PM

[quote]That's the building where Bowie and Iman lived.

In The Seagram Building?

It's an office block.

by Anonymousreply 232June 5, 2018 2:14 PM

R230 It's an office building with no residential aprartments. Are you confused or making shit up?

This is the only Seagrams Bowie lived in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233June 5, 2018 3:45 PM

I think Bowie lived in TriBeCa.

by Anonymousreply 234June 5, 2018 5:29 PM

no. bowie lived in noho. i know the building. i used to live around there.

by Anonymousreply 235June 5, 2018 5:31 PM

Bowie lived in 56 Leonard.

by Anonymousreply 236June 5, 2018 5:34 PM

Bowie lived at 285 Lafayette Street, just south of the Puck Building.

by Anonymousreply 237June 5, 2018 11:06 PM

Seems like a lot of these very tall narrow ones are going up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238June 6, 2018 10:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239June 6, 2018 10:49 PM

Oh, dear....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240June 6, 2018 10:50 PM

Those buildings in Hudson yards are massive. Perhaps r238 was confused by the photo. That’s the concrete elevator/stair core on the right, with the steel frame not yet built.

by Anonymousreply 241June 6, 2018 10:54 PM

This out of control high rise buildings in NYC have become a shitshow of monstrous proportion.

by Anonymousreply 242June 7, 2018 1:45 AM

All of these new residential buildings are completely unaffordable for 99% of the population.

Honest to god, if I were told that certain sections of Manhattan were going to become gated communities, I would tend to believe it at this point.

by Anonymousreply 243June 7, 2018 1:48 AM

I was on the Upper East Side today and I have to say that these new buildings are a vast improvement over the incredibly bland boring ugly ass sterile buildings that were built in the 50s to 80s up there. Absolutely no architectural merit. At least a lot of the new ones make SOME effort architecturally.

by Anonymousreply 244June 7, 2018 1:49 AM

Not into it.

by Anonymousreply 245June 7, 2018 1:50 AM

In today's outrageous real estate market, even The Jeffersons would have trouble moving on up the the east side in Manhattan to a deluxe apartment in the sky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246June 7, 2018 12:33 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 247June 20, 2018 4:08 AM

Does it sway? I can’t handle buildings that sway.

by Anonymousreply 248June 20, 2018 9:02 AM

Other people have mentioned other buildings they like. I like the IAC Building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249June 20, 2018 2:45 PM

I also like VIA 57 West.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250June 20, 2018 2:49 PM

I like the one to its left. IDK what it's called, but I think an old friend lives there.

by Anonymousreply 251June 20, 2018 3:00 PM

To the left of the IAC building is 100 Eleventh Avenue by Jean Nouvel.

by Anonymousreply 252June 20, 2018 3:08 PM

I don't care for the WTC Transportation Hub.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253June 20, 2018 3:12 PM

My guess is R190's pic is Chita Rivera.

by Anonymousreply 254June 20, 2018 3:26 PM

R253 Do you not care for it because of its inflated cost, it's aggressive appearance, the rust spots, the vandalism?

by Anonymousreply 255June 20, 2018 6:19 PM

R255, I don't like it because it doesn't fit in with the surrounding buildings and because it looks like a gimmicky bird-like sculpture rather than a real building. It's funny because I actually like Calatrava's Lyon-St. Exupery Railway Station, which is very similar. The latter somehow looks like a bold piece of architectural design, and a real building. I have travelled to NYC a bunch of times but I haven't been there since the WTC Transportation Hub has been completed so I haven't seen it in person. Judging from the pictures, there's something annoying about the thin white rectangular pieces which make up the wings. It looks like pointless decoration. The Lyon station has a silver covering over that part of the building which makes it look better.

I wasn't aware of the rust and vandalism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256June 20, 2018 11:10 PM

The interior of the WTC station looks fine though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257June 20, 2018 11:55 PM

Compared to most government sponsored architecture, it’s awesome. Have you seen Penn Station? Maybe not perfect but better than most govt architecture. Very dramatic - especially inside.

by Anonymousreply 258June 20, 2018 11:56 PM

R257 I always call the interior the Whale Carcas.

by Anonymousreply 259June 21, 2018 1:35 AM

R258, I've never actually been in Penn Station, just Grand Central when I took a train to the botanical garden in the Bronx. All I know is that people complain about the demolition of the old Penn Station in the 1960s.

R259, the interior of the WTC station looks okay to me. Maybe it looks too sterile for some people. I also like Calatrava's galleria in Brookfield Place, Toronto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260June 21, 2018 1:48 AM

Ugh, I fucking hate this "whale carcass" aesthetic that seems to be sweeping modern cities. So out of place. Doesn't age well, weathers poorly and looks so fucking idiotic next to real buildings of historical significance. Yeah there are examples of it where it does blend well like Sydney Opera House, but that was a design that was meant to fit into the context of its natural environment.

by Anonymousreply 261June 21, 2018 2:24 AM

The ribs and arches are just the modem equivalent of the interior of a Gothic cathedral. What's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 262June 21, 2018 4:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!