Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Arrested Development, Season 5

Good news: after the disaster that was season 4, it's really funny again (though there's barely any Tobias in the first two episodes).

Except for Will Arnett and Tony Hale, they've all aged badly--none worse than poor Michael Cera, who is supposed to be playing a college student but looks like he's in his 50s.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2018 4:32 AM

Alia Shawkat grew up to be pretty (surprisingly), but she has extremely pronounced freckles even as an adult. Can't she get them lasered off?

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2018 5:03 AM

Impossiblu! Because of Tambor and now the way the cast reacted to Jessica Walter's breakdown and mansplained, all humor has forever left the show, and previous episodes that were hilarious are now just reminders of the horrible people on staff! The jokes just aren't funny and the staff literally sacrificed and killed a baby during the season wrap party! Now when I watch an episode I am reminded of all those transwomyn Tambor literally raped on set!

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2018 5:07 AM

I loved loved loved the show, particularly Seasons 1 and 2 of the original run.

They lost me when they moved to Netflix with the deeply disappointing Season 4.

I'm done. I don't even care what happens next, on or off-screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2018 5:22 AM

It's your loss, r3. Season 5 is pretty funny, and much loser to the standards of the first 3 seasons.

This season G.O.B. has had sex with his rival Tony Wonder (Ben Stilller), and is deeply conflicted about his love for him. Although it's a bit repetitive to have constant jokes about BOTH G.O.B. and Tobias being closeted, Will Arnett has been working out lately and shows his big new biceps a lot, so the thought of him being gay is actually kind of hot (as opposed to Tobias, where it's just funny since David Cross is so unappealing sexually).

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2018 1:24 AM

Can't wait! I loved Season 1, and Season 2 was funny, Season 3 was meh, Season 4 was truly stupid and unfunny. I've heard good things about Season 5 - looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2018 1:28 AM

"much closer" to the standards, not "much loser"

LOL

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2018 1:31 AM

I don't think I can watch it. The last season was so bad, I remember absolutely nothing about it. I will be totally lost.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2018 1:32 AM

They have LOTS of updates on Season 4, r7. A full five minutes before the first episode of Season 5 starts.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2018 1:40 AM

Its fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2018 2:37 AM

it's fucking fantastic

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2018 2:42 AM

I didn't hate this season though it's vastly less funnier than the initial run. It's just comfortable having the characters back again even though they had to resort to CGI for the Portia scenes. At least the CGI is better than season 4, except for the scenes where it's obvious Ben Stiller was inserted in.

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2018 9:46 PM

So far, season 5 is kinda boring. I haven't laughed yet.

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2018 9:56 PM

[quote]Although it's a bit repetitive to have constant jokes about BOTH G.O.B. and Tobias being closeted

I was thinking the same thing. Now there are two characters were the jokes are about them being gay. I am happy for how gay the show feels now, but it gets a little repetitive.

I've watched most of season 5 now, and while it isn't peak Arrested Development, I'm still just happy to spend more time with these characters and I am enjoying it well enough. Hope Netflix makes more, though with the Tambor controversy I don't know how that will affect things.

by Anonymousreply 13June 10, 2018 3:50 PM

I thought it was a clever, well written, and well acted show, but I stopped watching it during the original run, because I thought most of the plot lines were repetitive. There were a lot of one note jokes that were repeated almost every episode, and that was driven home by the point of the narrator giving a recap of something we already knew. A decent show, but I am not sure it was quite as clever as it thought it was.

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2018 4:02 PM

I've watched the original 3 seasons many times - I will always love them. Unfortunately season 4 hurriedly threw a lot of new characters and stupid plots at the audience and season 5 had to tie up the loose ends. Both felt compressed and airless. The only actors who brought any life into the show were Maebe, GOB and Tony Wonder. The emu farm, the political race, Tobias' acting endeavors, Mexico, Michael and George Michael's rivalry over Rebel (who has the charm of a paperclip)...maddeningly dull and aimless. The charm and heart of the early seasons is gone and yes, the ageing is distracting.

by Anonymousreply 15June 10, 2018 5:08 PM

Liza!

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2018 5:52 PM

I couldn't believe how bad Cera looked. He looks like a turtle. He used to be cute.

by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2018 6:51 PM

Wtf is up with Ron Howard constantly inserting himself into the show?

by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2018 7:22 PM

Honestly even my season 3 the show had started to lose its charm, it is seasons 1-2 that are classic.

Still, better than most sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 19June 10, 2018 7:29 PM

The show is great. Y'all just like to complain about everything and be bitchy assholes.

by Anonymousreply 20June 10, 2018 7:42 PM

Could Portia not stand to shoot for even a couple of days? It seems like she wasn't on set at all.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2018 12:01 AM

She has quit acting, allegedly.

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2018 4:14 AM

R21, she didn't want to be a part of it at all, but the show creator is apparently quite the asshole and ignored her request to write her out completely.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2018 4:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!