Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Social Media Illusion

A close friend of mine found out her husband is having an affair with a guy for almost three years. She's six months pregnant with their 2nd child. He's finally come to terms with who he is an wants a divorce. They are already burdened with debt. She's had to ask her mother, who she isn't on the best terms with, to come and help her out. Very very few people know what's going on and on Facebook, you'd never suspect anything was wrong. It's happy family photos, pics with the kids, beaming about being pregnant -all recent. It's fascinating the illusion people create. Anyone else have similar stories?

by Anonymousreply 109September 2, 2018 5:52 PM

I feel so special, OP, that you chose to share that with us.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2018 4:53 PM

I'm in a big city, and very active in "the gay community." The main illusion I see is TONS of people - of all ages - posting their perfect lives on Facebook, and their beautiful, but oddly blurred/softened, faces on Instagram.

"Look everyone - see all the stuff I'm doing? Did you see I went to lunch today? And I got coffee, too! Here's a picture! Oooh, and here's a selfie of me and my BFF in front of this great restaurant."

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2018 4:54 PM

Every social media profile is a lie.

Really, you think everyone is having a phenomenal life? In fact, no one is.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2018 4:57 PM

Common post: OMG, BEST DAY EVERRRRRRRRRR.

Maybe it helps people convince themselves that their life is perfect?

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2018 4:59 PM

Like R3 said, I just assume that nothing I see on social media bears any resemblance to a person’s life on the other side of the screen. Rarely have I been wrong.

That goes double for celebrities, whose entire lives and careers depend on optics. Those perfect red carpet couples? Probably miserable behind the scenes (see: Faris, Anna and Pratt, Chris).

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2018 5:00 PM

These posts make me feel better.,Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2018 5:01 PM

What a horrible situation, OP.

I have a similar story. A hetero couple, married for over a decade, friends of a friend. Well off, nice home, two gorgeous kids, expensive cars, very nice holidays, always posting beautiful pictures on FB and Instagram, often sending each other love messages that everybody can see. Last month he was arrested by the police. Apparently he has been beating her up and cheated on her for years. The first affair was when their first kid was a few months old. There will most likely be a trial this autumn. What a snake, I hope he will go to jail.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2018 5:01 PM

It's kind of the opposite with some of the people I know...at least 3 other people's father has died within the last 2 months (including mine). I had only 2 posts within the last month (one was his birthday), but everyone else, it's a daily thing. I can't....it's like re-opening a wound.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2018 5:04 PM

[quote]often sending each other love messages that everybody can see

Classic overcompensation. I don’t know a healthy couple who does this, except maybe on major anniversaries or something.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2018 5:09 PM

Everyone I know who posts show-off-y stuff is a goddamn mess. It used to be kind of funny, knowing the story behind the scenes, but now it’s just sad.

I know a woman who does a lot of OTT stuff showing what a great mom she is. In reality, she structures her schedule so that her kid is asleep by the time she gets home. She will do anything NOT to be alone with her kid. But if you saw her FB, you’d think she was a very involved mother. She spends a lot of money on the kid, but any chance she gets, she dumps it on someone else

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2018 5:41 PM

It's kinda like the Kardashian's and those Rich Kids of Beverly Hills on instagram. How they want everyone to believe their lives are perfect and extremely happy. But there not. They might have a tone of money but no one's life is perfect. No matter how great the smoke and mirrors look. It's just that, smoke and mirrors. Put in place for the public to fawn over.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2018 5:41 PM

OP, this is no tragedy. It's sad if it happens late in life but these two are young enough to start over.

Lucky couple.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2018 7:53 PM

It's really sad people have to fake it.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2018 8:38 PM

How is the social media illusion any different than what's been going on for eons where people pretend in public that they are better off than they really are?

It doesn't really matter if people try to impress other people by showing off wealth, happiness, or their most sordid secret shame. It's still about drawing people's attention to yourself and feel worthy of their attention, worthy of love and respect. Worthy of their envy and jealousy. Hell, worthy of their pity or concern.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2018 8:49 PM

It seems that many people really don't have interesting lives.....if they post everyday on these sites, they have little time for anything else....pictures of food?- really???? flowers?- really? in front of every coffee shop they had lunch in? really?- every day a picture of their children?....pictures of their toned body every day at the gym? So much seeking likes and wows. I was sucked into it for a while then got so bored. There are more narcissistic people that ever because of these sites that in my opinion have ruined society and humanity. Can someone really have over 3,000 "friends"?

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2018 9:03 PM

The worst are the ones who "soften" every photo. This lady I work with posted a softened photo on Facebook, and all these people were commenting, "Oh my god, Stacy, you haven't changed a bit. You still look so young. Your skin looks flawless." All this bitch did was say "Oh, thank you all so much!!" - I was thinking - bitch - I KNOW what you really look like. How are your fb friends that stupid that they think that photo hasn't been filtered?

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2018 9:11 PM

I don't understand how people haven't become sick of it. I stopped FB about 9 years ago. I would have assumed there would be a dropoff at some point because it is just the same shit over and over and over.

But no - and that's depressing.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2018 9:22 PM

FB is people with no lives reading about people with boring lives.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2018 9:26 PM

This lady at my work literally said she cannot live without Facebook. I asked her if they started charging to be on Facebook would she pay, and she said definitely. She showed me her facebook(as I dont participate) and all the photos were completely deceptive. She's extremely overweight(she has a gunt) and has that grossly thick stubble coming out of her triple chin.. The photos were taken at various angles and she actually looks decent. From the photos she took you'd never know she's super fat and hairy.. Also her boyfriend is a loser "seasonal worker" who I think uses her for the money and insurance benefits. The photos of them smiling would lead one to believe they're living the life and happy.. Some of the comments are hilarious.. "OMG, you guys look so beautiful together", and "wow, you look like you've really lost a lot of weight".. So sad,,

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2018 9:51 PM

[quote]often sending each other love messages that everybody can see Classic overcompensation. I don’t know a healthy couple who does this, except maybe on major anniversaries or something.

You've never seen the Gio Benitez/Tommi DiDiarrhea thread? These two vapid lovebirds are always posting declarations of love and adoration at each other.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2018 9:58 PM

Instagram used to be slightly more tolerable because it was all about posting one really great photo instead of the shit posting that happens on Facebook. Then people started going nuts with it like everything else. What drives me crazy are the stupid IG stories - I can’t tell you how many people I have had to mute because every time I log on, there are their faces in that little pink circle at the top of my feed. I mean, is it that hard to put your phone down and actually take in what’s going on around you?

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2018 10:14 PM

Ugh, Instagram. What a racket.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2018 11:42 PM

I hated those stories, R21. There's no way to get rid of the circles of people's faces at the top of your screen. I realized that I wanted to unfollow almost everyone, and I figured I might as well just deactivate my account. I haven't thought about Instagram in about six months.

I know a couple like the OP posted about on FB. Married, wealthy, two cute kids, world travels, the birthday or holiday celebrations at home. Really every photo is picture perfect. In reality, the wife is miserable / no sex life and daily wants to leave him, but he's the earner. She has had two affairs, one over several years, messy, destructive. One kid is autistic and it creates a lot of anguish. I could go on and on. Yes, FB is all kinds of fake.

by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2018 12:12 AM

Deleted my Facebook account about ten years ago, after a month or so of use. Deactivated Insta earlier this year because I realized I'm too poor to be able to ever compete with my friends in the bragging department. This thread made me feel so much better.

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2018 1:28 AM

Facebook and Instagram make it possible for ordinary people to fake their "personal lives" the way movie stars always have. Now anyone can do phony publicity shots demonstrating their "passionate love" for their spouse or their "devotion" to domesticity and the kids.

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2018 1:52 AM

I laugh when I see photos of people in front of private jets. No owner of a plane wants it photographed. These are renters and poseurs. Or guests of an owner who would be furious if he found out his plane was being used as a prop. Also, posed photos with famous people are ridiculous. Real friends of the famous never post anything.

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2018 1:59 AM

I agree R24, this thread is reassuring.

Sure I knew it's all for the camera, but I didn't like the way FB made me feel. I've gone through tough times -- personally, financially and employment. I can't afford to go on vacations or fabulous restaurants. I don't have a partner.

FB is not the place to be if you're poor, not in a relationship, don't have kids. Hanging out with real people with real problems who are able to find happiness, makes me feel better.

But yeah, I've noticed a few divorces that seemingly came out if nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2018 1:59 AM

I deleted Twitter this week after finally admitting most of the accounts I follow are things I don't really follow but something I am doing publicly to look intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2018 2:05 AM

I mean exceptionally intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2018 2:07 AM

Spot on, R14. The only thing I have worth envying is great skin! Lol! But it’s true. So I post (sometimes) about my great skin. But I’ve had a very, VERY messy life. I don’t post details about it on social media, because there are fucked up predators out there who will or might make use of that regarding anyone’s social media profile. However, I don’t hide that my life has been messy. I have the good and the bad. Sometimes I go off on ridiculous rants. Who cares?

I do what I can to make myself happy. Perfect profiles are fun to look at, because they allow you to escape, but that is all temporary, and pretty meaningless.

I don’t spend a bunch of time on social media. I probably accumulate an hour per week, if that. I have school and work. I’m fucking exhausted many days after trying to cram in the gym and other shit, like getting my nails done. I’d rather watch a good film, listen to some music, or actually spend time with people, face to face, than to browse the profiles of complete strangers.

by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2018 2:33 AM

This is what happens when people spend a significant portion of their day looking at a screen instead of a person.

by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2018 2:40 AM

My married fuck bud who has four kids and a very beautiful wife, has a Facebook page full of family pics, family vacations and stuff right out of HGTV and every frau's dream. This guy is the biggest popper sniffing slut sub bottom I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. This just goes to show you the "reality" of social media. So guys the next time you feel inferior or left out when you see your friends' fabulous lives on Facebook, just think about the reality behind the lens.

by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2018 2:59 AM

We don't call it FAKEbook for nothing .

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2018 3:06 AM

Wow, great post R32

by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2018 3:14 PM

Here’s another one: A woman I know was, to all appearances, happily married with a handsome, successful husband and 4 young kids. Their life on FB looked like the picture of bliss. Lo and behold, she found out he was a serial cheater who had had affairs with so many women he literally could not keep track. Yet another “perfect” life exposed as an illusion.

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2018 2:28 AM

I'm not friends with anybody who is on Facebook. There's a few people who have given it up. There is no logical reason to participate in it. I understand some can use it for business purposes, otherwise NO. A woman at work said she's on it to "share" photos of her grandkids. I told her that you can text said photos for sharing. She gave me a blank stare and ran off.

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2018 3:08 AM

We are conditioned turn ourselves into brands using social media for brand awareness, but the truth is that the only ones who benefit from that are the social media platforms data mining all these social media brands, and their followers, and sell their data to the highest bidder.

It's all about finding out which buttons to push (and when) to get what one wants. That's what organizations like Cambridge Analytica do with the data they get from the likes of Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2018 7:54 AM

Instagram is great for getting my fix on art (like paintings etc.) and designs of things in the house or things to use.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2018 8:20 AM

It's easy to get depressed going on Facebook. But reading stories like these reminds me not to get emotional since it's all lies.

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2018 3:01 PM

FB is pissing me off now with ads every 4 posts.

by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2018 3:10 PM

My brother, who I love, and I share our experiences with the stock market, to learn, and bond. It dawned on me at one point, that, quite naturally, he tells me about the wins he’s had with pride, but I am guessing he’s had various losses that he doesn’t share. So, it’s quite natural for people to talk about the things that are going well in their lives, and leave out the dregs. Nobody likes a sour Sally.

They will share about deaths, though. At first I thought that déclassé, to announce deaths this way, on FB, but I came around. At least for non-intimates, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 41May 28, 2018 11:06 AM

I follow the Bird Detective on ig . Lovely Turkish guy as ugly as a man can be . He chases birds all over the world . You can see all the fauna and flora everywhere on this beautiful planet and our feathered friends . Really interesting man !

by Anonymousreply 42May 28, 2018 11:55 AM

I use Facebook to find events or what's going on in the city, I follow animal rescues, and I'm already such an introvert I do use it to keep up / in touch with friends and family. But it's true, you can post a photo and get 20 likes - and sometimes I am fascinated by some distant colleague who likes a pic (they follow me?) - but can feel so deeply lonely despite all these "likes" or comments. I do spend too much time on facebook out of boredom (especially at work) but I don't follow people who would post things that are upsetting. The worst though is being single and seeing so many couples posts.

by Anonymousreply 43May 28, 2018 4:19 PM

[quote]A woman at work said she's on it to "share" photos of her grandkids. I told her that you can text said photos for sharing.

You sure told HER off but good!

The puny worm!

by Anonymousreply 44May 28, 2018 4:27 PM

They call it Fraubook for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 45May 28, 2018 5:03 PM

R32, what?!

Are you kidding? That guys real life sounds even better than his fake life!

All other examples so far have their real life’s being pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 46May 28, 2018 5:29 PM

r19 you sound pretty toxic. I'm glad you're not on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 47May 28, 2018 9:09 PM

I posted this on another thread, but it applies here too.

Things I know:

If your life looks like one big nonstop barrel of fun on social media, that’s a pretty good bet that it isn’t.

If your phone is glued to your hand while you post incessantly, you are missing out on enjoying the moment and I feel sorry for you.

If your stories are all “look how amazing my significant other is, aren’t I just the luckiest?” your relationship probably sucks.

by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2018 2:28 AM

All of social media is an illusion. Social media runs on NARRATIVE, not truth or facts.

by Anonymousreply 49August 19, 2018 3:07 AM

R49 Well said. It’s the shiny tip of the big, messy, complicated iceberg below.

by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2018 3:09 PM

I have some relatives and friends with cheating spouses. They don’t know I know. Yet their Facebook pages are like a hallmark movie, one more over the top than the next, gushing about their spouses and wonderful lives. It makes me sadder knowing what I know about them and feeling that they have to fake it for the world to see. But why?

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2018 8:04 PM

Hooked up with a married guy awhile back. He was a hot daddy and I was just over legal age. We had some great sex. Then we just stopped communicating and it "ended".

Years later, creepy social media Facebook lists him under my "Friend suggestions". He had moved.

Family pictures, vacations, the typical American family and no one would have known any better...unless you were in the room with us when he was doing me doggy as I called him "daddy"

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2018 8:44 PM

The better the projection on FB/IG means the more fucked up reality.

Underneath it all is narcissism, and I'm happy to get richer because of everyone's insecurity.

Reading and laughing at most responses and selling user data is endlessly entertaining -- and profitable.

by Anonymousreply 53August 19, 2018 8:51 PM

R53 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2018 12:48 PM

Agree with all of what's been said re: very happy people don't post to tell you how happy they are.

The only time I really appreciate social media is when I have to travel alone for work. Sometimes I'll have some down time (free weekend) in someplace very scenic (e.g., Barcelona, London, San Francisco) and it's kind of nice to be able to share the photos because it feels like I'm able to share the experience with friends. And I'll confess to sharing photos of my meals in those instances.

But if I'm on actual vacation with friends/family or eating dinner with others, that's about the last thing on my mind.

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2018 1:07 PM

I agree with you, R55. I might post one or two pics on vacation in a “finally made it, look how beautiful” kind of way, but I’m usually off the grid for the duration. And for sure, a few posts when you are away solo on business helps you feel more connected.

What I hate is when people shitpost every banal detail of their day. Starbucks run. Grocery store. Weekend dog walk. “Date night” (yuck). The cute artwork their kid brought home. Who fucking cares? Put your phone down and pay attention to whoever you’re with!

by Anonymousreply 56August 20, 2018 3:21 PM

By the logic expressed in this thread, would people vaguebooking about how mad they are at someone or how shitty their life is going, then actually be having a good life?

by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2018 3:24 PM

When they post so much, I only suspect the worst.

My partner sometimes dislikes my lack of soc-med presence (I don't even have a proper profile picture, but I probably will start this year for professional reasons) including a lack of pictures of us together, but I'm pretty sure that people's reactions - from surprise to enjoyment - to seeing our interactions together in person is all the 'convincing' I need when it comes to socially legitimizing the relationship. I also think that for the most part, my partner is understanding that more over time, noticing how soc-med narrative rarely closely matches reality.

by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2018 3:30 PM

R57 To an extent, yes. Or rather that if they're complaining (actively or passively) about the banal, then that's a clue that they're more likely creating drama for themselves to share. To determine that, look at the frequency of posts.

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2018 3:32 PM

There does seem to be something akin to an epidemic of people using social media to white-wash their lives. But like others have said above, that has existed long before social media; and if we are being totally honest, it's not really that big of a deal generally. When I was younger, broke and naive (before smart phones and facebook), my friends and I would dress up in fun, trendy clothes and go to fancy bars and nurse a single drink for hours in an effort to look bourgie and take pictures of ourselves. With that said, I also do have plenty of friends who use social media and really do have great lives that they just simply want to share with those who care. I find that most of my friends on social media fall into that category, save for maybe a handful of people. In my social/economic demographic, there is an underlying, unspoken rule that the more "fabulous" your life seems on social media, the tackier one is and the less credible one seems. So we do tend to keep overt bragging to a minimum. And I actually do love seeing good friends post pictures of their travel with their kids and spouses.

Part of what shocks me is that people (anyone beyond 30) still fall into that trap of presenting some picture-perfect life in some desperate attempt to save face. Despite what I said above, I do have a handful of friends on social media who do the pathological white-washing, when it's completely obvious that things are a dumpster fire. One friend I have on Facebook was in grad school with me. He was your typical blonde athletic hunk, very good looking, but he was gay and desperately tried to hide it (and was very indiscreet when drunk). Since school, he's been in and out of marriages with several women, constantly promoting himself as the stereotypical dream husband, except that everyone in our class knew he was a big giant homo that loved D. So for him, his attempts to showcase his wives and his "fabulous" jet-set life looked silly to most people because we all knew he wasn't into these women. And that was the issue with him, his social media life was a complete lie, and I do make a distinction between people who may engage in certain dishonest tactics, and those that create an alternate life on social media. Eventually he did shutter all his social media accounts (I assume he figured it was pointless to try and engage in that sort of puffery), but I was always so surprised at how he stooped to that level. Smart guy, had everything going for him, but he turned himself into a complete social joke doing what he did. I have another friend who is so stupid that she will take pictures of celebrities on TV or the computer and put them on IG and FB, as if she was there with them taking the picture of them in person. Four years ago she had a picture of Alec Baldwin from The Shadow up, saying she just ran into him at a store and took a surreptitious photo. Granted, everyone thinks she's a complete loon.

by Anonymousreply 60August 20, 2018 9:34 PM

Chrissy Watts baby, how are you getting on DL from jail, you bad boy!?

by Anonymousreply 61August 20, 2018 10:51 PM

A bi woman I know is married to a woman and desperately misses men. She met one she nearly slept with, but her wife refuses to open up the relationship. They're potentially on the verge of breakup over this. But on social media it's the same lovey dovey mushy crap, you'd never know anything was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 62August 21, 2018 6:41 PM

R12 The children don't get to start over. They're stuck being in a divorce and all the drama that comes with it. Which generation will finally figure out that children are not dogs and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 63August 21, 2018 7:05 PM

[quote]The children don't get to start over. They're stuck being in a divorce and all the drama that comes with it.

Yes, it’s sad for the kids, but is it worse than being caught in the middle of a dysfunctional marriage? It would be sadder for this man to stay closeted and be miserable.

by Anonymousreply 64August 30, 2018 3:56 PM

I live in NYC, from the outside you'd think I loved a great life.

I post on Instagram sporadically. Mostly photos of myself out in the city or whatever. Nothing exciting, I don't travel or post anything interesting.

The reality is that I have social anxiety disorder. I don't have any friends and I spend nights and weekends alone at home thinking about my ex who hates me.

Meanwhile, I have thousands of followers and I get DMs all the time from well meaning strangers telling me how hot I am or how they love my "lifestyle"

If they only knew....

by Anonymousreply 65August 30, 2018 4:08 PM

[quote]These posts make me feel better. Thank you!

That's what they're intended to do, r6. Dataloungers have to forever convince themselves that their boring lives are no worse than anyone else's.

by Anonymousreply 66August 30, 2018 4:13 PM

I realized that the people I like to hang out with in real life are mostly people who post sporadically or not at all on SM...because they’re busy actually living their interesting lives instead of ‘gramming them.

by Anonymousreply 67August 30, 2018 4:27 PM

I’m sorry, R65. I hope things pick up for you.

by Anonymousreply 68August 30, 2018 4:35 PM

[R68] Thank you, it doesn't feel good to isolate this way but it's getting harder and harder to break out of it.

I do try.

by Anonymousreply 69August 30, 2018 4:38 PM

OP: You need to start posting out of Christian concern:

"Debbie, I'm praying like the dickens that your hubby stops being a dang homo!"

by Anonymousreply 70August 30, 2018 5:25 PM

Funny, Before I left Facebook I had two ladies who were doing the a weird thing. They were basically celebrating their addictions. A fat girl co-worker posted every meal she ate. No pictures of herself, just her food, every bite she ate.

The other, another co-worker, was celebrating her alcoholism. Never met a beer she couldn't document. Of course they were all micro-brews. And then there was the wine tastings and celebratory champagnes. Guzzle guzzle guzzle. She was shocked and offended when some one called her The Happy Alcoholic. She didn't understand that others were alarmed at her boasting about driving drunk and waking up still shit faced.

Yay! I have the coolest addiction! Weird how delusional people can be.

by Anonymousreply 71August 30, 2018 5:46 PM

R65, you sound just like me, but I'm in a far less exciting city. And I'm too paranoid to post anything. I can't think of anything important or interesting to say.

r71, how old is this person. That behavior is pretty typical for people in their 20s. Beyond that, then it does become sad.

by Anonymousreply 72August 30, 2018 5:50 PM

A few years back a co-worker, that I didn't know, committed suicide. She was raising a young boy, possibly on her own - this is what I learned later. After her name came out I looked for her FB. Her last post was something like "I have a great life" or "I am a strong woman" (something like that) so that's all you need to know. It's completely untrue.

by Anonymousreply 73August 30, 2018 5:57 PM

I think R25 has it right, it's the "movie star" effect. It'll pass.

by Anonymousreply 74August 30, 2018 6:03 PM

R27, same here. Most people are like us. My life became a lot more real once FB definitely exited my consciousness. To me now it's just the prison some people are still in, of their own accord.

by Anonymousreply 75August 30, 2018 6:08 PM

Of their own accord and for my personal gain, R75

by Anonymousreply 76August 30, 2018 6:09 PM

FB and other social media were a gigantic social experiment that enabled the engineering of mass responses, that gve the world Brexit, some other poor choices I might name... That's literally all it is for.

by Anonymousreply 77August 30, 2018 6:11 PM

Just like the saying that"Those who constantly bragging about sex aren't having any", those who brag about their fabulous lives and not LIVING.

by Anonymousreply 78August 30, 2018 6:16 PM

In my family, I have a sister who puts EVERYTHING on facebook. Her life is genuinely pretty good, and she's not being egocentric, she's just always had no boundaries. I am constantly telling her not to tag me, others do the same, because she's indiscriminate (hey, thanks for congratulating me on my new house, but I don't want my address visible to your eight million friends!), and she doesn't think things through. The definition of TMI. I have another relative who is financially struggling but her facebook is a pinterest mom's dream, and although she doesn't use #blessed, the entire thing may as well be tagged #blessed every time she posts. She's a veteran humble bragger too.

An acquaintance just emotionally vomits on her facebook as she never does in life. In person, I don't know half the shit that I find out when I read her facebook. The RAGE. The drama. The implication that her partner is a useless piece of shit. The know it all-ness. She vents all this stuff, but then when people offer support or advice (of the "it helped me" variety) she shoots it down because she already knows everything. I think people take it with a grain of salt but if someone sucking up all the oxygen were a thing on facebook, she'd be in first place.

by Anonymousreply 79August 30, 2018 6:17 PM

My sister: "OMG! Why was my poo shaped like my intestines this morning?? Is this normal???"

by Anonymousreply 80August 30, 2018 6:22 PM

R65 I am sorry to hear that. I hope you get your social anxiety on track. Maybe do some sports, practise an instrument, some music, go to events... Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 81August 30, 2018 6:25 PM

R80, OMG, well MY sister doesn't do that, but she would quote a kid who said that. If they said it. I try to steer clear of regularly reading her posts.

by Anonymousreply 82August 30, 2018 6:32 PM

R65 If I may, try to register for an activity where you have to go every week (typically, night classes, languages for example - or a museum group , or sports if you prefer that). You will be mingling with people with no need to interact too deeply, and you'll be experiencing stuff, depending on the topic you choose. That is really trying, and it will change your life. Slowly, but life doesn't have to be fast.

by Anonymousreply 83August 30, 2018 6:34 PM

OP's story is almost that of Chris Watts!

by Anonymousreply 84August 30, 2018 9:10 PM

I'm not R65, but same here. I just joined an organization that's helping register people to vote. You can do that and it's over in November. They're really looking for people.

Our organization has people just call and recruit more volunteers, or you can go door to door. There's a blind woman that talks to people, there's a woman on an oxygen tank that dials for her. They make a good team and enjoy each others' company. It's very low key. The first time, I really had to force myself and although the people are all very pleasant, I still have to force myself. But I end up enjoying most of it anyway. Even with the stuff I don't, it's a sense of accomplishment.

by Anonymousreply 85August 30, 2018 10:52 PM

That's a really great thing to do, R85.

And of course something that's actually social, unlike social media that is a parody of what social is.

by Anonymousreply 86August 30, 2018 10:54 PM

Great idea, R85. And more important than ever.

by Anonymousreply 87August 31, 2018 12:18 PM

This is the ultimate example of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 31, 2018 12:29 PM

That's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 89August 31, 2018 12:36 PM

Yes, a good friend from HS has what looks like the perfect marriage and family, yet I found out just this past weekend that he's been cheating on his wife with his old HS girlfriend, who is ALSO married with kids and has a "perfect" Facebook life. He's left her and she's convinced him to come back repeatedly. But on FB and Insta, they look madly in love.

by Anonymousreply 90August 31, 2018 1:41 PM

I’m not on Facebook, but I’ve noticed the opposite effect with me and this site. DL posters are so judgmental, especially about money and looks, that I absorb it and have avoided socializing because I’m not rich and not particularly handsome, and I’m 45 (poor + ugly + old). It really has had a negative effect on me, but I come back out of loneliness and for the laughs because it can be really funny. It’s probably not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 91August 31, 2018 2:05 PM

[quote]A close friend of mine

Lucky her to have you as a close friend!

by Anonymousreply 92August 31, 2018 2:07 PM

Mu husband and I got married three years ago, and out smuggest, proudest achievement was that we didn't document or mention *any* of it on social media: nothing of the plans or of our intention to get married, nothing of the day itself, nor of the kind of expensive once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon we took a few months later. Weddings are personal things; I can't imagine why anybody would want to share it with random strangers.

Of course, we can now self-righteously judge those who plaster their nuptials over Facebook and Instagram. We recently attended a friend's wedding where the order of service included the fucking hashtag that they wanted their guests to use. Ugh.

The couple that eye rolls at other couples' gratuitous social media wedding nonsense together, stays together

by Anonymousreply 93August 31, 2018 3:17 PM

For those who’ve mentioned couples who put on a happy front on SM - curious, is it mostly smiling and kissy pictures or is it long, gushy posts? I see more of the latter.

by Anonymousreply 94August 31, 2018 4:19 PM

What do you think of this one, R94?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 31, 2018 4:22 PM

FYI, he killed her.

by Anonymousreply 96August 31, 2018 4:24 PM

People are such copycat clones with no originality. Can’t people think of their own ideas?

Facebook is so monkey see, monkey do with it all.

by Anonymousreply 97August 31, 2018 4:39 PM

R72, my sister is 45 years old and has some issues with FB. Very frau-ey and Pinteresty. You know the type. She spends a lot of time crafting her image, and critiquing others’.

She doesn’t understand why I don’t use my profile more than a few times a year, and why I don’t make posts about my kids. It’s just not my thing. I don’t need the validation and can see that I’d fall into the morass that she has, if I got sucked in to FB.

It’s not a good place for most people.

by Anonymousreply 98August 31, 2018 5:11 PM

I had a classmate who was a naturopath and she’d post about how unhealthy her patients were. Eating meat and sugar and how dangerous it was and people are so ignorant of proper nutrition and herbal supplementation and so on.

She just died of a particularly aggressive cancer.

Now, I’m not happy about that, and I wish she hadn’t died of cancer. But she was sanctimonious in her posts. Is that what we call irony?

by Anonymousreply 99August 31, 2018 5:14 PM

R95 That’s horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 100August 31, 2018 5:58 PM

[Quote]Is that what we call irony?

Indeed it is, R99.

by Anonymousreply 101August 31, 2018 6:00 PM

My mom always posts really gushy stuff after we have a fight. It really bugs the hell out of me how fake she is.

by Anonymousreply 102August 31, 2018 6:09 PM

R100 It's from another DL thread, the guy who killed his wife and kids to be with his male lover.

by Anonymousreply 103August 31, 2018 6:19 PM

I know, R103. That’s what makes it horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 104August 31, 2018 6:43 PM

R91, at age 45, do you need to be told what kind of people post that super negative shit on Datalounge, what they look like, what they've accomplished in all their years on earth, what they probably smell like, etc?

Have you ever seen in real life seen very attractive, popular, and accomplished, people spew the kind of bile about other peoples' appearance that you have encountered here?

Go live your life.

Didn't think so.

by Anonymousreply 105August 31, 2018 11:50 PM

Good point R105, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 106September 1, 2018 2:30 AM

W&W for R105.

by Anonymousreply 107September 2, 2018 3:02 PM

When I am having a GREAT time w friends, I never post in Insta, or any other social media. NO time and who cares.

by Anonymousreply 108September 2, 2018 3:39 PM

R102 = Norman Bates de nos jours.

by Anonymousreply 109September 2, 2018 5:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!