Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

San Francisco Compared to Some of the Dirtiest Slums in the World

“The contamination is … much greater than communities in Brazil or Kenya or India,” he said. He notes that in those countries, slum dwellings are often long-term homes for families and so there is an attempt to make the surroundings more livable. Homeless communities in San Francisco, however, are often kicked out from one part of town and forced to relocate to another. The result is extreme contamination, according to Riley.

Thank god Apple, Facebook, and Google employees can just get in their buses and pass it, though one was being shot at last year...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 3, 2018 11:34 AM

And directly above these shit filed streets are $4000/mo apartments ..

Omg. The video at the link is appalling.

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2018 9:35 AM

San Francisco, the city I was born in, was a unique, beautiful town until the ship-ins destroyed it. Now it is no different to every other overcrowded, decaying, destitute metropolis. I left my heart in San Francisco, and it has been broken by this sad reality.

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2018 9:37 AM

OP, I have the experience of living in San Francisco and some of the dirtiest slums in the world. Cambodia, India, Nairobi...

The main difference is that in those slums you have working poor. No-one is nodding off on drugs - they are all hustling hustling. The scariest people are the cops and the people who are suffering disease or are disfigured, but that's sad more anything, poor fuckers.

San Francisco was a thousand times scarier - aggressive people, the violence, American gun culture, the drugs...to be completely honest it has the worst slums I have ever seen. Even worse than Manila which is pretty fucking violent.

Disgusting and sad.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2018 10:06 AM

Liberal paradise.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2018 10:33 AM

Please stop coming to our fair town, the tourists overflow is too much, each day more and more deplorables yearn too walk the pastoral and magical streets of San Francisco, go back home, too much too many, please stop, Leave us natives to our Baghdad by the bay, yes is nasty here, sure, if u say so, just be gone.

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2018 10:33 AM

Wow - I was hoping maybe that news article / video overstated it and the posts would say so...

[quote] San Francisco was a thousand times scarier - aggressive people, the violence, American gun culture, the drugs...to be completely honest it has the worst slums I have ever seen. Even worse than Manila which is pretty fucking violent.

It just seems so crazy to me. I was there in 2003 last. So, I don't remember it well but it certainly didn't have this. Actually, wait - it was the only city my pants (back pocket) got cut into while I was waiting for this bagel place. I got back to my office and was like wtf did my chair do to my pants? Then, I realized... they pinched my back pocket and cut it (it was a symmetrical cut). I didn't feel a thing. The wallet was in a separate pocket so they never got it. It happened around Mission and 2nd. The place seems to have closed from what I can tell on google.

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2018 10:35 AM

I was in SF in 2012 for two days. I loved it, but there were a lot of homeless people everywhere. It was the end of my two weeks journey in USA, and SF's vibe was really different. I still wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2018 10:48 AM

I have traveled the world, I cannot find a more exciting or special, beautiful, unique city than SF.

The media went nuts with their wild claims. Its a small city, so its all a bit condensed and intense.

Yet the tourists do still throng to it like mad, its a bid ironic, eh? if its so horrid...

Weighing the good against the bad, you wont find a more European, fascinating city than ours... so very diverse, .. with the pacific ocean as our backdrop...I think its one of the most beautiful in the world.

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2018 10:50 AM

I WAS one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Now it's a dump, a shadow of its former beauty.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2018 10:53 AM

R9

But why? What happened?

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2018 10:55 AM

The hotels are still extremely expensive there. Manhattan rates + 10-20%

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2018 10:56 AM

1. Drugs

2. Mentally ill on the street

3. Too many people.

4. Governments that allow it

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2018 1:40 PM

stop coming

we too crowded

go to nyc or la....k?

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2018 1:51 PM

R12

So SF is the only city with drugs, powerty and mentally ill people?

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2018 2:19 PM

And #4, "Governments that allow it" - their idea of being "liberal" is to cater to this, to not arrest them, to destroy the city for others, and to expand it.

That is the key other point.

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2018 2:25 PM

San Francisco is only 7 square miles. The rents are all outrageous because there's no space. When I was there in the early 2000s there were a lot of homeless beggars on every street corner. Then later my home city which had been mostly beggar free, started getting more and more. I think it's a sign of the times, the fact that more people are packed into a much smaller space, and a huge lack of affordable housing. SF can't fix it by itself though, they need the rest of California to pitch in, build affordable housing, jobs programs, mental health facilities, rehab clinics, free healthcare, and a lot of other things that are the whole point of having a central government. Washington isn't helping them so they are doing a lot of it on their own. But the same political divide, neoliberal policies, etc exist there as elsewhere and it's an uphill battle without a mindset change.

Oh, and Californians in general are self centered assholes. That may be a coastal issue though.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2018 2:41 PM

7^2

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2018 2:48 PM

I grew up in SFas well. Born in St Mary's Hospital in fact like so many SFers of my age. I've lived all over the world for work and I agree that SF has become an insufferable and violent shithole, nothing like the beautiful city of my youth.

My impression is that SF is a view into the future of the Capitalist experiment. With greater disparity in wealth societies' most vulnerable are left farther and farther behind and this is what you get.

by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2018 3:02 PM

Goddamnit. I used to live in Sonoma 1986-1996, and I'd love catching to bus to the city for a day of shopping. I hear my favorite bookstores (A Different Light, The Magazine) are gone now. I wonder if anything else survived the Silicon Takeover...

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2018 3:04 PM

It ain’t so bad. I’ll take SF over Kansas City - or Dallas - any day. I lived in NYC since late 80s and 90s and despite the violence and drugs, it was vibrant and more enjoyable than it is today. Mugged a few times and it sucked, but at least the clubs were fun, the people weren’t so uptight and pretentious and terrified of unclean, mentally ill people.

Dubai and Singapore are very clean and free of these problems - please move there if you want to avoid the “horror”of SF - one of the most beautiful and vibrant cities in the world.

by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2018 3:11 PM

OP I have been to the slums of Ibadan and Lagos and there is no way to compare what I saw there to San Francisco. In those two cities, there were rows of multilevel living units made of some thatched material divided by alleys no bigger than 3-4 feet. People would throw their shit and garbage right onto the alleyways. There were small rivers of shit and urine flowing down the little streets. Did I mention the violence? There was a lot of that too. One of the nurses in my team was sexually assaulted and beaten so badly she was medevaced to Walter Reed by a military plane (we were working for USAID).

Once I myself was grabbed by a deranged man with advanced leprosy and had to fight him off me. Not even on a very bad day does SF compare to this.

The homeless can walk into SF General Hospital any day and receive great medical care. In Ibadan, I got to experience what surgery was like in the Civil War, as they used ether as anaesthesia, and had no packed blood. Instead they were reinfusing coagulated blood. The operating theatre was very hot and full of flies on top of all that.

by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2018 3:23 PM

Yes, real problems there, R21. The point is that it is all more preventable in SF. It wasn't like this decades ago, and instead nothing is done and it is only getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2018 3:33 PM

The OCD SF Feces Troll just can’t get enough of SF feces. Wakes up every morning thinking of the feces in SF.

Mmmmmmm, feces!

Let me scour the web for stories of SF Feces!

Love the fecal matter. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2018 4:05 PM

R21

Well, yeah. But it's fucking Nigeria. SF is in USA, self proclaimed Best country in the world.

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2018 4:24 PM

[quote] Goddamnit. I used to live in Sonoma 1986-1996, and I'd love catching to bus to the city for a day of shopping.

How awful that homelessness should mar your memories of playing Phyllis Lindstrom!

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2018 4:27 PM

That SF general is being compared to services in economies struggling to escape the 20th century says it all. SF is like a developing economy while Calif is the 8th top economy in the world. Something stinks

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2018 6:15 PM

Yeah, it's not as horrible as the SF troll poster and the other 'Im a Liberal, and SF is filled with shit now" Extremely Suspicious Tale posters make it out to be.

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2018 10:32 PM

R26 I never compared SF General to any hospital in a developing country. My point is that anyone, including the homeless of SF, can go to SF General and get great healthcare. California expanded Medicaid under the ACA and all the homeless can get Medicaid and great medical care.

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2018 11:51 PM

I’ve lived in SF for 25 years and have seen many cycles. We need another major economic downturn to flush out the techies, it’ll be a giant reset button.

by Anonymousreply 29April 30, 2018 12:18 AM

People from there sure do love it.

by Anonymousreply 30April 30, 2018 3:52 AM

Don't come then. Stay away, too many tourists dying to come here daily. We small, cant take anymore.

Dirty, do not enter, rage at home, Don't come.

Leave us to our paradise you wretched people in your shitty towns...

by Anonymousreply 31April 30, 2018 9:10 AM

How can the US or SF/CA let this once beautiful city turn to this shithole?

by Anonymousreply 32April 30, 2018 9:34 AM

The people in charge and corrupt - they don't care.

by Anonymousreply 33April 30, 2018 10:11 AM

Oh yes, boots are issued at the airport for the tourists to tromp thru the shit filled streets of frisco.

face masks can be gotten there also, as the stench of it all is horrid.

Do not come.

Avoid.

Sure, whatever u fuks say....

by Anonymousreply 34April 30, 2018 10:18 AM

Its funny . No matter how much media says how awful frisco is, they jus keep cumin to ride that cable car to the sky....

by Anonymousreply 35April 30, 2018 11:30 AM

I'm due there for business at the end of next week. I am now dreading it. Haven't been in nearly fifteen years but it sounds awful.

by Anonymousreply 36April 30, 2018 11:52 AM

What sort of “violence” are people talking about? Rude panhandlers?

by Anonymousreply 37April 30, 2018 11:54 AM

its all very exaggerated.

still the fantastic city its alwys been .

enjoy ur visit!

by Anonymousreply 38April 30, 2018 11:55 AM

I went to school at USF. The Tenderlion area was ALWAYS a nightmare. I used to volunteer at a soup kitchen (mid 90s) at it was perilous. Loved the city, but avoided that region, when I could, like the literal plague.

by Anonymousreply 39April 30, 2018 12:04 PM

What about the Black Hebrew Israelites? The ones in Frisco are so obnoxiously homophobic and brazen. They are bad in general but the ones in San Fran are complete fucking cunts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 30, 2018 12:20 PM

R40 So, brazen hate speech shouted at the top of your lungs is OK in SF? Why aren't those people arrested?

by Anonymousreply 41April 30, 2018 12:46 PM

It's their culture, r41. What are you, a racist?

by Anonymousreply 42April 30, 2018 1:02 PM

The Black Hebrew Israelites attack a woman,push her to the ground and she gets arrested! What a fucked up city San Fransicko is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 30, 2018 2:05 PM

If this sort of thing keeps you flyovers away, I’m all for it. Please start reporting that NYC is like this as well.

by Anonymousreply 44April 30, 2018 2:18 PM

NYC is not like this at all. SF is totally fucked up as is California. The Golden State has become The Bronze State. Maybe The Tin State might even be more apropos.......

by Anonymousreply 45April 30, 2018 2:35 PM

It's the blue parts of California that are coming apart..

To the illiterate ESL troll conversing with himself here-keep doing up, very so funny, keeping it real, love you long time. SF small and crowded, like you caudal orifice.

by Anonymousreply 46April 30, 2018 3:07 PM

Oh look, our resident Nazi SCUM are flinging their fecal matter around.

by Anonymousreply 47April 30, 2018 3:08 PM

The Society For Cutting Up Men were Nazis?

I should have plugged that Solanas bitch right back.

by Anonymousreply 48April 30, 2018 3:12 PM

R23 - you are the first person to use the word "feces" in the thread

(and the only person)

by Anonymousreply 49April 30, 2018 3:24 PM

This is why comments sections have become fodder for hatred. An opportunity to vent and encourage hatred to “others” - in this case those living wonderful lives of their choosing in CA. No one is forcing you to go to SF. No one is forcing you to recognize the brutal realities of the world outside of your comfortable existence in “safe, clean” hometown. But perhaps by seeing it, you will be forced to face the reality of desperation faced by a large portion of your fellow Americans. As well as the enviable excess of wealth that exists alongside it. People in SF, LA and NYC are forced to confront the contrast daily - if you choose not to, that’s fine. But don’t opine on solutions to problems you know nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 50April 30, 2018 3:30 PM

Thoughtful response, R50, even if I don't quite know where you're coming from.

Many of the posters here, like myself, were born and raised in SF-more than anyone else, we can see what's gone so horribly wrong with the place. The present squalor isn't without precedent..in the 70s, not long after an extensive and expensive makeover of the Downtown-Market Street areas, the druggies and homeless descended on the town in great numbers. The "new" downtown was soon an unsightly mess, you couldn't walk one hundred paces without being hit up, sometimes very aggressively, by the street people.

Then came the coup that swept DiFi into the mayor's office-that's when the plot to hand over the town to the Hong Kong absentee landlords and to eliminate whatever power native labor had under George Moscone went into high gear. The town has never recovered. The present situation can't last forever, The City's karma, or it's landscape, is going to be leveled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 30, 2018 4:13 PM

Sounds similar to Vancouver, BC, R51

by Anonymousreply 52April 30, 2018 4:33 PM

alas the loin is near the tourist area so u get all that mess to an extent.

head out frorm there: to ocean, to stern grove, to aquatic park, to the height ashbury. golden gate park, see all the other georgous parts of the city.

lordy, so much to see cept the union square part.....wich can be nasty (tho NOT THAT BAD, IF UVE BEEN TO OTHER BIG TOWN)

by Anonymousreply 53April 30, 2018 9:21 PM

TRU DAT

VERY SSIMILAR TO VANCOUVER

GOT ALLL THAT OCEAN WATER ON SOME SIDES AND THE NATURE BEAUTY, BUT TOWARD TOWN CENTER IT CAN GET DICEY .... VANCOOUVER MY 2ND FAVE CITY, BEHIND FRISCO

by Anonymousreply 54April 30, 2018 9:22 PM

Funny I grew up in LA and have lived in Vancouver, NYC and SF. I guess I pick the dirtiest cities! But I like the grime. It's exciting and never boring. Sure, it can be annoying at times, but what's the alternative? A cabin in the woods? No thanks. Just walk over the needles. I guess the white noise doesn't really bother me.

by Anonymousreply 55April 30, 2018 10:10 PM

SF is a fucking Bizarro world. How the fuck does a woman get arrested WHEN she was assaulted? That is what happened in R43. unfucking real. Yes the woman was a cunt but didn't deserve to be hit like that.

by Anonymousreply 56May 1, 2018 12:29 AM

The SJW-corporate left threw women and gay people and kids down the toilet

by Anonymousreply 57May 1, 2018 12:30 AM

See the gay panic thread, R56. Or the Joy Reid thread.

by Anonymousreply 58May 1, 2018 12:31 AM

Behold... the Poop Map!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 1, 2018 1:32 AM

When did the poop star? I was there in 2005 and it looked ok

by Anonymousreply 60May 1, 2018 2:21 AM

When did the poop START?

by Anonymousreply 61May 1, 2018 2:21 AM

SAN FRANCISCO got EXACTLY what it deserves! The WORST three years of my life were wasted in that god forsaken shithole... Losers everywhere, FECES everywhere, and beyond expensive. NO THANK YOU. I PREFER FECES THAT REMAINS IN THE TOILET!

by Anonymousreply 62May 1, 2018 2:37 AM

I have a black hebrew story ! I was in Atlanta and a friend and I were having lunch at this outdoor cafe right up from the Fox theater where there was a production of The king and I going on. These 3 black guys in full Alladin get up come walking by,we are talking turbans,genie pants,the whole 9 yards. I said "I love your costumes" where upon they started to scream and curse at me violently ! At 1st I was shocked,but when I realized my mistake I started laughing uproariously,wich really set them off ! I was like "Oh really,your wearing that shit and your pissed cause Im laughing"?!? The waiter comes running out and hurriedly ushers my friend and I inside,then explains to me who they are and how violent they could be!

by Anonymousreply 63May 1, 2018 2:38 AM

That’s funny R63 - you had me at “full Aladdin get up”

by Anonymousreply 64May 1, 2018 3:23 AM

There is so much crap there that it should be called San Franshitsco!

by Anonymousreply 65May 1, 2018 3:30 AM

Wow - You trolls really did a number on San Francisco! People have heard your criticisms of this liberal cesspool and have decided to boycott the city. Without your praise and validation, San Francisco has decided to call it quits and will be closing soon. Your voices were heard and you totally won!

Dance a little jig, you earned it.

by Anonymousreply 66May 1, 2018 4:07 AM

God, don't you conservatives have something better to do than rag on your favorite punching bag? Clean your guns? Return something to Wal-Mart? Enjoy all that Tupelo has to offer?

by Anonymousreply 67May 1, 2018 4:13 AM

I like the grime too, its very Raymond chandler/james ellroy/james Bukowski/henry miller...

u want clean? go to Tokyo bitch.

by Anonymousreply 68May 1, 2018 5:08 AM

amusing, no matter how much those who have had to flee frisco cause they couldn't afford it, rag on the town, its still numer uno for the world to visit....

shut ur clam holes and go bak to pookeepsie and attend ur g dam churches u purds.

we don't need u !!!!

by Anonymousreply 69May 1, 2018 5:10 AM

I don't associate Raymond Chandler with feces and hepatitis A outbreaks...

Henry Miller's base was Big Sur - one of my favorite places in CA, but again lacking in the fecal matter, smells of urine, and used needles.

by Anonymousreply 70May 1, 2018 9:19 AM

R68 For a city that is too potentially beautiful, it is too grimy and gritty. It is a shame because SF has so many wonderful areas even still. Chandler's LA was grimy and gritty but today's LA is still gritty and grimy ! NYC has become less gritty since Giuliani's regime and parts of Manhattan look like nice parts of Paris.

R69 Deary what the fuck are you smoking? SF is not number one in the world to visit. Try to take your meds so people can understand your ramblings......

by Anonymousreply 71May 1, 2018 3:43 PM

R68, it's Charles Bukowski, but I get what you meant!

by Anonymousreply 72May 1, 2018 3:58 PM

then stay the fuk away.

for every one of you belly achers there are ten tourists with bags and kids in tow arriving to feast on our banquet of a city.

ha!

by Anonymousreply 73May 2, 2018 9:53 AM

When did the SF chamber of commerce start posting on the DL

by Anonymousreply 74May 3, 2018 4:27 AM

True. Just don't go there if no likey.

Way too many deplorables stomping around our glamorous streets from iowa and Nebraska and them thar parts...

by Anonymousreply 75May 3, 2018 9:32 AM

Oh, it's glamour they're stomping in.

by Anonymousreply 76May 3, 2018 10:59 AM

Well good God, it's just a certain section of the city. Easy enough NOT TO GO TO. Most of San Francisco is still beautiful. Every city has its horrible section(s). L.A. certainly does. Skid row, and all those areas around Compton are places I would never want to go again. I used to have to visit one of our facilities in Paramount. WHAT A DUMP! Right next to Compton, an even bigger dump.

by Anonymousreply 77May 3, 2018 11:41 AM

I love visiting San Francisco. It's a beautiful city and the homeless no worse than other large west coast cities. But It's and extremely wealthy city with lots of people who feel entitled and visitors like to bitch.

by Anonymousreply 78May 3, 2018 12:31 PM

'Am I in the bad part of town?' Tourists shocked by what they see on San Francisco streets

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 16, 2018 8:42 AM

There is one certain policy answer to these minor complaints. 𝘍𝘳𝘦𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘧𝘧 𝘱𝘢𝘪𝘥 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘣𝘺 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 16, 2018 9:44 AM

Nothing, and I truly mean NOTHTING is like what SF was is now to what it was. It is truly a souless shithole now. I live in Marin County by total luck, and it is bad and stupidly expensive enough here. Pretty, but ugly people. I can not wait to get out of here. Even Oakland of all olaces has lost a cultural vibe and costs a fortune,

by Anonymousreply 81June 16, 2018 11:47 AM

"Nothing" and "no places" and any other fuck ups. Sorry. I blame it on the rent.

by Anonymousreply 82June 16, 2018 11:55 AM

What you “sow” is what you “reap”. Its as simple as that !!

by Anonymousreply 83June 19, 2018 1:12 PM

Love the naked guys struttin’ around the Castro.

by Anonymousreply 84June 19, 2018 1:57 PM

Well that was an eye opener. I noticed that even areas outside the Tenderloin are loaded with street trash and garbage. Is there no regular pickup of garbage in San Francisco?

by Anonymousreply 85June 19, 2018 2:25 PM

There's a Russian troll on a rampage today because his country just gay-bashed a French couple at the World Cup and locked up a gay protester.

He's out to convince himself that Russia, the gas station run by a corrupt, Vampyr dictator, is somehow a better country than the U.S.A., where they can't just kill liberals who help stop Vladimir Putin raping the world.

Even though U.S. Republicans seek to destroy Russian power more than U.S. liberals outside the Trump administration.

by Anonymousreply 86June 19, 2018 10:31 PM

These homeless would not last a night in Detroit. The women would be raped and even some of the men. They’d be killed in a single night sleeping in a tent.

You have to have a middle-class population of whites, Asians, etc to support a homeless populace.

Detroit does not have that surplus.

by Anonymousreply 87June 21, 2018 6:27 AM

anyone who don't like frisco

aint got no soul.....baby.

by Anonymousreply 88June 21, 2018 8:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 3, 2018 9:52 AM

The homeless and all of its connected filth just appears more pronounced and ugly in SF because SF in and of itself is such a beautiful city.

And SF has a long history of beautiful and dark. Patty Hearst as Tania, robbing a bank in the Sunset District with the SLO, the Zodiac Killer, and Sara Jane Moore just to name a few.

by Anonymousreply 90July 3, 2018 10:13 AM

IF YOU'RE

GOING!

TO

SAAAAHN

FRAAAN

SHITSCO /

BE SURE TO

SPRAY!

SOME

LYSOL

IN THE

AIR

by Anonymousreply 91July 3, 2018 10:31 AM

That’s a shame. SF isn’t my cup of tea, but it’s a special place.

Thank the politicians.

by Anonymousreply 92July 3, 2018 11:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!