Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Overused phrases and other cliches on true crime TV shows...

The victim is always someone who "lit up the room" whenever they walked in.

The crime "shook the community to its core."

New evidence "turned the case upside down."

The perp is a "monster" according to an angry, teary-eyed family member of the victim.

by Anonymousreply 106August 4, 2020 10:02 PM

Perp

UnSub

I'm gonna get this son of a bitch and put him away if its the last thing I do.

by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2018 3:10 AM

He was loved by everyone.

People gravitated toward him.

He knew something was off with her.

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2018 3:13 AM

She hoped to be a pediatrician someday.....

He wanted to get married and have children as soon as possible.....

Her lifelong love of art was expressed in the creative tattoos she chose for her back, arms, legs, hands and feet."

by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2018 3:40 AM

He/she was just getting his/her life together.

by Anonymousreply 4April 28, 2018 3:42 AM

Redo it as "Let's Be a True Crime TV Show." Those threads always bring out the best of DL.

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2018 3:43 AM

In time, she found herself in her 4th marriage....

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2018 3:43 AM

Soon, she realized they weren't taking her intended route. He had turned the car onto a dirt road in and orange grove

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2018 3:47 AM

Everyone thought she'd found her Prince Charming/Mr. Right. He treated her like a queen and swept her off her feet.

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2018 3:48 AM

His neighbors described him as a loner who kept to himself.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2018 3:52 AM

There's NO WAY she would've left her kids behind. Those kids were her whole world.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2018 3:55 AM

A sports injury in school resulted in the doctor prescribing him pain medication. Powerful, addictive pain medication. He soon found himself with a heroin habit,

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2018 4:12 AM

She supported herself as an exotic dancer while deciding whether or not to go back to school

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2018 4:15 AM

It was a quiet, tree-lined neighborhood, nothing like this ever happened before...

He was a quiet and well mannered young man, no one could have ever imagined what would happen next...

She was a daddy's little girl who everyone adored, but adolescent hormones proved difficult for this sweet girl next door to deal with, what would happen next no one would ever have predicted...

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2018 4:23 AM

" YOU'RE SICK !!!!!! "

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2018 4:26 AM

He said an army buddy of his was coming for a visit

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2018 4:26 AM

"Bag it "

Maybe we can get a print off of this"

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2018 5:07 AM

"Here it comes just in the nick of time" (usually followed up by such phrases as "I love ya", "I could kiss ya" or "your beautiful ")

_______doesn't know squat about______

"Stay on the phone until help arrives"

"He/she is out of their mind with anger/grief/rage"

"Do they have any priors?"

"Let's run a background check on them" & "Has anyone run a background check yet?"

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2018 5:13 AM

"The Homicide team enlists the help of Patrol and the Gang Unit, and blankets the city searching for Quintarious "MegaPoochie" Jackson . . . [italic]but he is nowhere to be found.[/italic]"

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2018 5:20 AM

This was a town where nobody locked their doors.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2018 5:48 AM

He swept her off of her feet and right into the morgue

-Dominick Dunne

Ernest..I'm in the morgue!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2018 6:05 AM

The smell of decomposition overtook the officers as they pried open the door of the mobile home she shared with her fiance and their three children.

The blood spatter patterns were consistent with an upward-glancing blow from an Alabama convincin' stick.

The carpet fibers found on the body proved to be of such a revolting color and texture that no one would admit to manufacturing them.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2018 6:30 AM

"I devoted myself to remembering every detail I could. I was telling myself, 'You will NOT kill me!'"

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2018 6:51 AM

It had been an unusually hot summer and police and fire units were stretched to the limit with much greater demands placed on their services. The frantic 911 call was from the neighbor of the victim, a popular school teacher-the neighbor reported seeing flames inside the basement flat..

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2018 10:51 AM

Keith Morrison or Josh Mankewitz always ends some long story with “or was he/she/it?”, said in their creepiest voice.

Bill Hader did an awesome impersonation of Morrison on SNL years ago.

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2018 12:20 PM

He'd give anyone the shirt off his back...

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2018 3:00 PM

Is it weird that I heard the voice of 48 Hours' Erin Moriarty when I read all of these?

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2018 3:19 PM

^ I love Erin, too. She plays to Mr. & Mrs. Flyover when she acts incredulous or naively shocked over revelations about the perps or victims having anything to do with affairs, kinky sex, or prostitution. I used to think she was kind of a ninny but later relized she's just reacting the way her audience would.

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2018 5:52 PM

Responding officers always say it's "the most horrific" scene they'd ever seen in all their years of homicide work.

by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2018 10:09 PM

After a terrible divorce, single dad Joe thought he found the one when he met Marisol online in an overseas "dating" site.

Marisol was beautiful. She had just turned 18 and was working hard in her poor village's market to help feed her 10 brothers and sisters and sick elderly parents.

Joe always had a temper.

Marisol had a secret.

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2018 10:20 PM

"The two women left the bar tipsy, not knowing what was in store...on the other side of midnight."

"He'd had problems with the law in the past, sure, starting when he was 13, but he was the father of two beautiful little girls, he'd been looking for a job, and he was starting to turn his life around."

"The behavior at the scene does not match up" with the Ramseys, Whitson tells Dateline. "It matches up a sexually sadistic person and a psychopath." So it WAS the parents, right?

"Cathy is a beautiful, smart and responsible 20-year-old student. So why didn't she come home after work like she was supposed to?"

"When a 31-year-old man suddenly dies from a mysterious illness, investigators question if there is more to the story. Could it have been a murder?"

DL Special Edition Saturday: "THE PINK GUN MYSTERY. A complicated Texas love triangle ends in murder. A pink gun leads to an arrest. Get ready for 'One Hell of a Story' "

by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2018 10:42 PM

The titles of the 48 Hours and Dateline Mystery episodes are so generic, interchangeable and forgettable, like "Dark Water" or "Into the Night", etc.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2018 5:33 AM

"Jeanine was a student nurse, with a smile as bright as her dreams..."

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2018 5:44 AM

When someone is being followed:

"We've got company"

by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2018 5:53 AM

I can't believe it ........ He seemed like such a nice young man !

by Anonymousreply 34April 29, 2018 6:18 AM

The lead investigator keeps a framed photo of the pretty, young female vitim on his desk for years and years after the case has gone cold.

by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2018 3:13 PM

The perp or victim is from one of the most untouchable powerful families in the city!

He was charming and ladies loved him, but...

by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2018 4:04 PM

She didn't deserve this. Nobody deserves to die like that.

by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2018 2:33 PM

“I’ve got to take a dump. Join me?”

by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2018 2:37 PM

He lawyered up. I need a bus.

by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2018 3:20 PM

The evidence just isn't there.

by Anonymousreply 40May 1, 2018 5:51 PM

...phone was pinging off a cell phone tower just 2 miles from the scene at the time of the murder...

by Anonymousreply 41May 2, 2018 8:26 PM

[quote] Jeanine was a student nurse, with a smile as bright as her dreams..."

My episodes only have victims who:

always DREAMED of being a nurse.

Ever since she was hospitalised as a child with appendicitis, she hoped to become a nurse one day.....

She had been taking classes at night, with a goal of one day becoming a nurse.....until her love for pills and cocaine got in the way

She planned to become a nurse one day.....but her boyfriend had other plans for her.

-----

And none of my women victims who "planned to one day become a nurse" were in school. They were strippers, drug addicts,, high school dropout slaves to their skanky boyfriends, single moms to a litter of kids.....but they hoped to one day become a nurse.

by Anonymousreply 42May 8, 2018 10:13 PM

Brian's grown children thought there was something a little strange about his new girlfriend. She talked an awful lot about money....expensive cars, exotic vacations, designer clothing and shoes. But she didn't seem to have much income. She lived off of her dead husband's social security check.....and not much else. Brian, on the other hand, was a successful doctor/lawyer/builder/investor........and he was smitten with the vivacious redhead.

by Anonymousreply 43May 8, 2018 10:20 PM

Forensic investigators noted the unusual tread patterns found on the wymmyn's body and in the undisturbed dirt near the picnic grounds near the location of the music festival, and their castings matched up with only one manufacturer and model of tire. It was a winter tire common as a replacement for Honda and Subaru AWD models sold in the state of Michigan and its neighboring states..

by Anonymousreply 44May 8, 2018 11:30 PM

Things like this just don't happen here.

by Anonymousreply 45May 26, 2018 2:05 AM

LOL. You guys nailed all the Dateline/48 Hours cliches.

Based on these shows, you'd think all homicide victims were blonde sorority girls or pretty trophy wives.....

by Anonymousreply 46May 26, 2018 2:11 AM

"She touched so many lives." "She had a bubbly personality." "They had the perfect life/a fairy tale life."

by Anonymousreply 47May 26, 2018 3:02 AM

“In this small, sleepy village.....

by Anonymousreply 48May 26, 2018 4:13 AM

Stay tuned for the turn no one saw coming...

by Anonymousreply 49May 26, 2018 6:15 AM

He agreed to take a polygraph but never showed up for it.

by Anonymousreply 50May 26, 2018 6:18 AM

I said “this is like we are in a dateline episode”

by Anonymousreply 51May 26, 2018 6:19 AM

The "Her smile lit up a room!" one is the worst. They always use this one.

by Anonymousreply 52May 27, 2018 2:24 AM

She loved to laugh.

by Anonymousreply 53May 28, 2018 10:21 PM

"He had a dark side behind closed doors".

by Anonymousreply 54May 28, 2018 10:25 PM

She's a junior at Hudson University.

by Anonymousreply 55May 28, 2018 10:45 PM

[quote]She loved to laugh.

I love when people say this. Or when they say he was “fun-loving.”

Whenever I hear someone described as fun-loving, I just have to meet them. What a fascinating individual this person who loves fun must be. Amazing really.

by Anonymousreply 56May 28, 2018 10:55 PM

"Alma was so dangerous to men, she should have had a warning label right on her forehead."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 28, 2018 11:00 PM

^ I love her! She's like the female Keith Morrison, except even scarier

by Anonymousreply 58May 29, 2018 1:19 AM

Candice Delong and Judge Judy should do a show together: imagine being hunted down by Candice and then sentenced by Judy in the course of an hour. Ratings gold.

by Anonymousreply 59May 29, 2018 4:15 AM

Dan Garrison [out of breath] : Oh my god! I just came home and ... and there's blood everywhere! Oh my god! My wife and my kids ... oh my god! They're dead!

911 operator: Call down, sir. Did you say you just came home?

Dan Garrison: Ahhhh! Yes, yes! I was at the gym and ... I don't know who wanted to kill them! There's blood everywhere!

911 operator: Sir, stay with me on the line.

--

Keith Morrison: Dan Garrison stumbled upon a grisly scene that misty September morning in Maple Grove, the kind when the air hangs suspended, when school children gather at bus stops, when spouses kiss each other hastily before rushing off to work; when summer's ghost still lingers. Not the type of morning that murder usually comes wafting into the neighborhood ...

-- Dan Garrison [in prison uniform, although producers have tried to hide it by showing only his face, fake crying]: I loved Michelle. I loved my kids ...

by Anonymousreply 60May 29, 2018 9:37 AM

Your pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 61May 29, 2018 9:42 AM

Things at the Anderson home on Rocky Ridge Way had been quiet of late. Then neighbors began to wonder, Too quiet?

by Anonymousreply 62May 29, 2018 9:50 AM

The local-news interview that ended up on the cutting room but turned out to be very, very important. It's being shown in full for the First. Time. Ever!

My mama always said you don't talk shit on the dead, but I ain't gonna lie: I never liked them. They thought their shit don't stink, like he's always mowin' on the lawn and washing the cars. This whole damn street is full up with snobs. Anyways, he had one of them real nice John Deere mowers like Kenny thinks he's gonna buy when he wins big on a scratch ticket. Serious? Kenny ain't winning shit.

Anyways, she always drove outta here every morning dressed like she's goin' to court. What a whore. Here's the thing: they're both dead now but I'm still here. Right? Me and my babies is still here. Oh, wellllll...

Anyways, I know reporters hear shit....did you hear if they're selling any of their shit? Like a yard sale or some shit like that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 29, 2018 11:00 AM

r60, I love you.

by Anonymousreply 64May 29, 2018 3:49 PM

Lol thanks r64

by Anonymousreply 65May 29, 2018 11:46 PM

Inevitably said about a she-he married couple, however unfit and unattractive, who live anywhere from Anchorage to Key West:

"She was Barbie. He was Ken. And they were living the American dream in the heartland."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 31, 2018 2:47 AM

"The couple had been viciously murdered."

(As if there's a [italic] nice [/italic] way to murder people.)

by Anonymousreply 67May 31, 2018 3:34 AM

He/she walked miles to get help

by Anonymousreply 68May 31, 2018 4:26 AM

the cat or dog solved the crime and is now the pet of the detective who solved the case.

by Anonymousreply 69May 31, 2018 4:28 AM

Yes, well, you're all being so glib and so smug, but the kind of writing you're reading in this thread won me a Pulitzer Fucking Prize not so long ago. So you can all SUCK IT.

by Anonymousreply 70May 31, 2018 4:38 AM

The dream . . . that turned into a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 71May 31, 2018 4:42 AM

“Then, with all leads exhausted, detectives recalled Jason McCleary. You remember McCleary, the shy, kindly neighbor who’d been first on the scene and so very eager to help? Could [italic]this [/italic]be the intruder they’d been searching for all along? Officers Johnson and Issvoran painstakingly went back over McCleary’s original statement....and noticed something. Something peculiar.”

by Anonymousreply 72June 14, 2018 11:53 PM

She was finally leaving him this time.

The bitch was dickmatized by sociopathic hetero cock. Haha.

by Anonymousreply 73June 15, 2018 12:01 AM

He dumped her (body) like she was a bag of trash.

by Anonymousreply 74August 15, 2018 10:21 PM

We know he's innocent and we'll keep fighting for an appeal.

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2019 3:48 PM

To a single mother working two jobs to support her three young kids, he seemed like the answer to all of her prayers.

by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2019 4:48 PM

An idyllic nature preserve in a quiet, picturesque town was about to be home to a grisly discovery...........

by Anonymousreply 77June 25, 2019 5:12 PM

When investigators reached the bedroom, the bullet holes and blood splatter all over the walls, floor and ceiling told them that something was seriously wrong....

by Anonymousreply 78June 25, 2019 5:22 PM

I love all these posts. Keith Morrison is great but he sure has gone to the Boris Karloff/Vincent Price school of storytelling!

by Anonymousreply 79June 25, 2019 5:44 PM

R76 good one.

"Everybody knew everybody" (when describing a small town where the crime occured).

by Anonymousreply 80June 25, 2019 5:58 PM

She had taken a part time job at the pharmacy to save up for her first apartment....

by Anonymousreply 81June 25, 2019 6:15 PM

Bill Hader’s Keith Morrison is the best... “it was the DNA. That pesky, DNA.”

by Anonymousreply 82June 25, 2019 6:23 PM

“Book ‘em, Dano.”

by Anonymousreply 83June 25, 2019 6:27 PM

“Just the facts, ma’am.”

by Anonymousreply 84June 25, 2019 9:07 PM

Best girlfriend / bar wingman: "Amber finally met 'The One.'" (Amber is a single mom of three children, murdered by a grifting, red-flag-waving drifter she met in a bar.)

by Anonymousreply 85June 25, 2019 10:26 PM

Even though he was caught on camera running from the scene with a bloody knife and her head in his hands- It took 27 yrs and a new pair of eyes .....

by Anonymousreply 86June 29, 2019 4:53 AM

"He was a gifted athlete in high school and all the girls loved him. He ended up marrying the one that captured his heart"

The high school sweetheart offs him years later when the marriage hits the rocks.

by Anonymousreply 87June 29, 2019 4:58 AM

The murderer and the woman (girlfriend) who had been his alibi for 20 years are now broken up. Police pay a visit to the ex-girlfriend and now she says he was not with her the night of the murder. He came to her house early the next morning, blood all over his shirt. He immediately burned his clothes and began washing his truck.

by Anonymousreply 88June 29, 2019 5:19 AM

“It was.... Or [italic]was[/italic] it?”

by Anonymousreply 89June 29, 2019 2:38 PM

Across the heartland. Storm in the heartland. I hate that term they use on ABC

by Anonymousreply 90June 29, 2019 2:51 PM

Someone described as a "voracious reader" or voracious consumer of some form or entertainment or media.

by Anonymousreply 91June 29, 2019 3:58 PM

His larger than life personality.

=

Fat.

by Anonymousreply 92June 29, 2019 7:31 PM

"He told Tammy he was just going over to his ex wife's house to collect some old moving boxes....."

by Anonymousreply 93June 29, 2019 7:47 PM

Who would've wanted to harm this old couple?

by Anonymousreply 94April 26, 2020 12:58 AM

He fucked dogs.

by Anonymousreply 95April 26, 2020 1:02 AM

If female, the victim was "vivacious" or "full of life."

If male, he was "larger than life."

by Anonymousreply 96April 26, 2020 4:22 PM

A new witness "cracked the case wide open."

by Anonymousreply 97April 27, 2020 5:45 PM

The picture perfect marriage wasn't what it seemed.

by Anonymousreply 98April 27, 2020 5:54 PM

Every homely, overweight frau was a "beautiful young mother."

by Anonymousreply 99August 1, 2020 11:16 PM

Every oft married and widowed suspect is a seductress few men could resist and then when you see the actual woman it's some perfectly ordinary dumpy frau.

by Anonymousreply 100August 1, 2020 11:24 PM

"I never really knew......my husband!"

by Anonymousreply 101August 1, 2020 11:29 PM

Every corn fed Midwestern schlub who played football in high school is "good-looking."

by Anonymousreply 102August 4, 2020 8:28 PM

"This kind of thing just doesn't happen here."

by Anonymousreply 103August 4, 2020 8:30 PM

Karen's life was about to be turned upside down.

by Anonymousreply 104August 4, 2020 8:33 PM

But that wasn’t the last detectives heard of Mr. X, in fact it was only the beginning...

“Coming up...” -Lester Holt

by Anonymousreply 105August 4, 2020 8:33 PM

OP are you "the dominant" or "the submissive" or another "the adjective"?

by Anonymousreply 106August 4, 2020 10:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!