Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New NYC Schools Chief's 'White Manhattan Parents' Tweet Brews Controversy

The chief of New York City's public schools, a position he assumed only just last month, is facing some backlash over a story he shared on Twitter early Friday. The tweet from Chancellor Richard Carranza's account was to a rawstory.com piece about Upper West Side parents opposing a new plan to diversify schools in their traditionally white luxury neighborhood.

The story was titled "WATCH: Wealthy white Manhattan parents angrily rant against plan to bring more black kids to their schools."

Carranza told News 4 he just hit retweet, 'They weren't my words.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215June 21, 2018 2:21 AM

A new effort to diversify schools in the Upper West Side of Manhattan — one of the richest neighborhoods in the city — has drawn an angry reaction from many parents.

Local news station Spectrum News NY 1 has posted a video that shows white parents furiously attacking a plan to require all local middle schools to reserve 25 percent of their seats for students who score below grade level on state English and Math exams.

The plan is an effort to make schools on the Upper West Side more diverse to reflect the demographics of New York as a whole, as the schools in the area now are predominantly white.

“You’re talking about an 11-year-old, you worked your butt off, and you didn’t get that, what you needed or wanted,” one angry woman said during the meeting. “You’re telling them that you’re not going to go to a school that’s going to educate them the same way you’ve been educated. Life sucks!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2018 11:21 PM

Forced quotas, bringing in less academic students always results in the same thing - disaster. The school will quickly fall into mediocrity. But, liberals social engineers continue to force this on schools. I'm with parents on this one.

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2018 11:37 PM

Well of course, I don'twant my kids going to school with black kids, foreigners, hybrids. It's bad enough they're on the streets.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2018 11:43 PM

R2, it's a little hard for liberals to accept this since it means conservatives have been right, but we'll have to get there eventually.

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2018 11:46 PM

The comments are pretty negative:

[quote]I attended a "diversified" school system (3r grade to 12th) as did many of those "White People who were in fact ranting against diversifying their schools." The schools I attended went from excellent /safe to scary shizt- show overnight. That is a bit of recent history. So parents will rant. Parents will pay for private schools. Parents will home school. Parents will move. Parents aren't going to sacrafice their children on your diversity alter. This is just another shot at wealth redistribution and not even a very creative or new one.

[quote]If Richard Carranza is like most liberals his kids will be in a gated community that is 90% white. His kids will be in private schools as well. Liberals are not around to enjoy the vibrant diversity they have created.

[quote]Why do the black students need to come to "white schools" to succeed. I thought whitey is the cause of all their problems. Could it be the black schools are failing because thery are full of "black kids" Stop blaming whitey are take responsibility for your own failure and do something about it.

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2018 11:54 PM

[quote]Yup and pretty soon those schools will become day care and the students that want to learn will languish in classes waiting for the remedial set to catch up/on. Why should my child be forced to go to school with kids that don't want to learn? We worked hard to get where we're at and into a good school district. But that doesn't matter anymore.

[quote]Diversity means dumbing down. Can't have caucasian and asian kids outperforming. Progressives never learn. They tried this BS in the 70's with bussing and accomplished nothing but destroying neighborhood schools and parental involvement.

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2018 11:55 PM

This will end in tears and gunfire.

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2018 11:57 PM

Are we supposed to feel sorry for wealthy white bigots who are outraged because someone referred to their ranting as ranting? And the idea that changing 25% of the school's population (including racial minorities) will result in an overnight transformation, turning the school into a 3rd world war zone, is absurd. We've never had fully integrated schools. Our public schools are as segregated as ever. Its fine if you're a white supremacist and you want segregated school. But be honest about that and don't get offended when called out.

[quote] This will end in tears and gunfire.

It won't end in "gunfire". This is nothing new. This business as usual in the United States, for liberals and conservatives, in small rural more rural areas and in larger cities. I grew up in a small rural area. Whites preferred that their kids attend an over crowded predominantly white public high school, rather than attend the more racially mixed high school. This wasn't an issue of achievement (both schools were equal in regards to test scores). This wasn't an issue of "scary schizt" at the more racially mixed high school. It was simply about skin color. School segregation in the United States is the status quo, despite Brown v. Board of Education. And many of those angry parents are no doubt liberal Democrats who will be expecting racial minorities to turn out and support the Democratic Party.

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2018 1:23 AM

My high school was considered one of the top 3 in the state when I was going there. Its now one of the lowest,with rampant problems,care to venture a guess why?

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2018 1:23 AM

r8 you were from a rural area. This is about inner-city kids being brought in. Apples and oranges.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2018 1:31 AM

Oh why no, this just couldn't be! We all know that racism only happens in the deep south. Surely all these rich white people in NYC who are mad about bringing in minority kids to their fancy schools are transplants from the deep south. No? Well go figure.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2018 1:50 AM

Nothing new or surprising about any of this. Came of age in NYC in the 1980s. Heard it all. Seen it all. This demographic is just as racist as the working class Archie Bunker types from Staten Island. First time I ever heard the N-word was on the subway from a group of preppy white kids who looked like something out of a John Hughes film telling each other to "Look at the n******" (referring to group of black students across the train tracks). I also remember an article in the NY Daily News in which she overheard a white person say he chose to live in Manhattan (as opposed to the outer boroughs) so they wouldn't have to deal with the n******."

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2018 2:10 AM

[quote] This wasn't an issue of achievement (both schools were equal in regards to test scores).

So you say, R8.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2018 2:11 AM

[quote] This will end in tears and gunfire.

Not possible. The people complaining because they just realized the authorities doesn't give a damn about them are all UWS progressives who hate the NRA. They wouldn't know what to do with a firearm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2018 2:33 AM

“...plan to require all local middle schools to reserve 25 percent of their seats for students who score below grade level...”

Uhhh, perhaps THIS is what the parents are angry about?

The fact that it is minority children scoring so poorly isn’t their fault.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2018 2:53 AM

So now they'll have to greatly lower their standards to accommodate lower IQ's. Meanwhile, the Chinese are laughing at us as they plan to take over the world.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2018 3:12 AM

what does this race baited thread have to do with a gay site?

This has officially been ruled propaganda.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2018 3:15 AM

Gays care about racial diversity, R17.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2018 3:17 AM

R17

It’s only race bait if you believe that discussion of salient issues about achievement is racist.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2018 3:17 AM

[quote]So now they'll have to greatly lower their standards to accommodate lower IQ's

Yes, but, racism!

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2018 3:41 AM

Waaaah. Sorry, rich people. Get used to it. Nothing is merit based in the NYC school system anymore. Everything has to be fair. Stupid children must be educated alongside the bright ones. Brats who won’t listen or behave cannot be kicked out of class. Your nice, well behaved, bright child has less rights than a kid who hits and runs around the room causing chaos because he has a diagnosis. There are no real gifted programs anymore. This has been in motion for a while now. The wealthy just didn’t think it would apply to them.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2018 4:59 AM

Let's see how many of those UWS parents turn into Republicans lol!

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2018 5:02 AM

Society News:

At yesterday's Jesse Isador Straus Elementary School PTA meeting, Mrs. Regina Ashville Van Tupperware (President) and Ms Heavenlee Klymydia Vanderbilt (Vice President) debated the issue of whether to serve the 2015 Scarecrow Caberent Sauvignon or the 2014 Avennia Cabernet Sauvignon Red Willow Vineyard at the after meeting get-together.

No consensus being reached, the matter was rescheduled for the next monthly meeting and all parties retired to The Dakota Bar to get hammered on the ladies night specials..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2018 5:38 AM

r21 thank you!

The shit is about to hit the fan up here (Ontario, Canada) because putting kids who have no business in a regular school is causing a skyrocketing teacher/EA assault rate and the incidents are more violent.

That doesn't even consider all the students who get attacked and injured each year because the parents (usually mothers, sorry) go in and raise hell if their autistic child is trying to maim people.

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2018 6:28 AM

What is the point of living in an expensive area, paying more to purchase a home in a nice area, paying more in property taxes in a nice fucking area just to be told your tax dollars are going to be used to bring in students who are underperforming at their local schools?

They will tank school rankings and bring down the level of teaching for each grade level. I would really like to know what other posters think because I just don't understand why those who pay to ensure a certain standard of living and quality of life are being told: "Nope, too bad."

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2018 6:59 AM

[quote] My high school was considered one of the top 3 in the state when I was going there. Its now one of the lowest,with rampant problems,care to venture a guess why?

Being that you graduated (I assume) 30 or 40 yrs ago, any number of things could have happened. If you would like to tell us the name and location of the school. We can research and find out exactly what happened.

The notion that any and every student who may test differently than the most privileged students who have every opportunity at their disposal, (including resources to improve their test scores) is some sort of violent savage who will destroy any school is pure white supremacist foolishness. There are plenty of white students whose test scores also don't math up to this privileged group, because they don't have access to the same resources.

Keeping students trapped in failing schools and collapsing inner city communities (communities that decades of institutional racism created) is just more of the same institutional racism that was designed to create a perpetual underclass.

Punishing poor people for being poor is not a solution for poverty. And most Americans live just a few pay checks from poverty. The historically wide wealth gap continues to grow. After decades of telling racial minorities to pull themselves up by their boot straps and create the same numbers of middle class citizens that government programs (not boot straps) created among whites. Its now fashionable to talk about help for the white working class. We must be empathetic and sympathetic towards a group of people who faithfully vote against their own interest. And we must continue to deliver speeches about bootstraps and a meritocracy (that never existed) to everyone else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2018 12:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2018 12:14 PM

💂

by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2018 12:20 PM

Oh my. I'm black, went to great schools, was never deemed a thug, didn't come from any ghetto, graduated at the top of my class, have a doctorate, and a great job. I'm paid well, but also really enjoy it.

It's a shame that most on this thread view black people by what they've seen on tv.

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2018 12:30 PM

This isn't about race. This is about bringing in 25% low performing students to take the place of high performing students. Isn't it racist to automatically assume these 25% low performing students are minorities? That's what these headline writers and tweeters have done, automatically assume.

by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2018 12:37 PM

I'm just shocked why all these "white Manhattan parents", who I assume are people most would consider upwardly mobile, whining "they're going to let the coloreds in our schools" aren't sending their children to private schools? Is it because the ones whining the most are just wannabe well-to-doers who may be making excellent money, but more than likely live paycheck to paycheck and wonder just how they're going to pay all their bills at the end of every month, pretending to be something they're not.

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2018 1:03 PM

Wait, his "Retweets are not endorsement" Twitter profile comment isn't protecting him from a retweet???

by Anonymousreply 32April 28, 2018 1:04 PM

Keep voting Democrat, NYC!

by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2018 1:19 PM

R31 why would they send their kids to private schools when they purposefully bought very expensive homes in a specific neighborhood due to its excellent local public schools?

If this measure passes, THEN they'll send their kids to private school and also they will probably move since the main reason they bought in that specific neighborhood no longer exists. Why should they continue paying super high property taxes to support local schools that their own children don't attend? Once their kids are attending private schools they are free to live wherever they want as they don't have to worry about the quality of the local public schools.

by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2018 1:20 PM

Fake race bait thread filled with Russian trolls and hateful elder gays too dumb to realise they’ve just sucking farts out of Putin’s ass

by Anonymousreply 35April 28, 2018 1:33 PM

[quote]I'm just shocked why all these "white Manhattan parents", who I assume are people most would consider upwardly mobile, whining "they're going to let the coloreds in our schools"

That's not what they're doing. They're whining about letting in 25% under performing students. Those under performing students could be white too. It's racist to automatically assume those 25% are minorities.

by Anonymousreply 36April 28, 2018 1:36 PM

raci$t le$bian troll alert!!

by Anonymousreply 37April 28, 2018 1:44 PM

Let's just see who's deplorable now.

by Anonymousreply 38April 28, 2018 1:51 PM

Please! Bring poor black kids to elitist white liberal neighborhoods please! And build homeless shelters there! These fucking bleeding heart liberals are really all not in my backyard types. Send a coule of millions to cuckerberg’s hawaiian island

by Anonymousreply 39April 28, 2018 2:52 PM

R30 Keep saying that. Then read R39's post.

by Anonymousreply 40April 28, 2018 3:20 PM

[quote]Please! Bring poor black kids to elitist white liberal neighborhoods please! And build homeless shelters there! These fucking bleeding heart liberals are really all not in my backyard types. Send a coule of millions to cuckerberg’s hawaiian island

Exactly.

"Deplorables" are on the Right.... and the Left.

by Anonymousreply 41April 28, 2018 4:13 PM

My best friends sister is a teacher,and his father retired from teaching after 40 years,and his grandmother and aunt were also teachers. They are lovely people and even they have said schools are now hellish,with out of control kids who seem to be genuinely incapable of learning even the simple basics. In fact,thats why his father retired even though he loved teaching and planned to continue. They sent him to a 90% black high school,and after a few months he just couldnt take it anymore. He said for every one child that wanted to learn,there were 10 who had zero respect for anyone or anything. he also had THREE 20 year olds in his class! THREE! Recently they did a news report here in my city where there were over 30 19-21 year olds in the school system,some with criminal records. Apparently you can receive ssi up until age 23(?) as long as you still are enrolled in school.

I firmly believe that everyone can be educated,that no one is incapable of learning in the long run unless theres some physical reason like retardation,but spreading a bunch of ignorant unruly kids throughout the system and NOT fixing the real problem wich is their shitty home lives is akin to sticking your finger in a dyke.

by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2018 4:23 PM

I have two friends who taught in inner-city high schools. They each lasted one year and then GTFO to go teach in the suburbs. Basically what they told me is what r42 said. The kids were just unteachable, quick to explosive anger, and basically feral.

by Anonymousreply 43April 28, 2018 4:27 PM

Diversity is good.

Perhaps a point system for the 25% skewed towards economic background plus some community is a good idea. It could make the wealthy kids better citizens too.

We had kids from poor families and deprived communities on scholarship in my boarding school. Some went off to do better than most of us.

by Anonymousreply 44April 28, 2018 4:36 PM

R39, R42, and anyone else If they moved only the students who did well in school, showed effort, had part time jobs, weren't in trouble, etc would that make a difference in how you feel?

by Anonymousreply 45April 28, 2018 4:42 PM

r45 shouldn't the kids with promise and who are willing to work get the help? Seems a bigger proportion of many schools' limited resources is spent on kids whose very real challenges make positive school outcomes unlikely. That is, schools are not the fix for some of the bigger systemic things we're talking about, which often align with racial disparities, but not always.

I don't know what the solution is. I no longer believe that public education is the path upward for kids trapped in the underclass. Without parental/familial support even the best-funded schools are tilting at windmills with those kids.

by Anonymousreply 46April 28, 2018 4:55 PM

UWS schools are about to get some ghetto realness!

by Anonymousreply 47April 28, 2018 4:55 PM

R46 That's what I was trying to put out there. The kids who show effort and have that persistance should have the opportunity to switch.

by Anonymousreply 48April 28, 2018 4:57 PM

R47 One can only hope you're as openly racist in real life. What you're willing to say online should match what you portray IRL.

Also, thank you for being a prime example for the people that say 'this isn't about racism!'. Sure it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 49April 28, 2018 5:00 PM

R47 Aaah. You're trolling. Half the shitty comments here.....are yours.

by Anonymousreply 50April 28, 2018 5:04 PM

R29 the majority of black people are not thugs, bad students, etc.

by Anonymousreply 51April 28, 2018 5:07 PM

I went to Brooklyn Tech in the mid-1970s. An entrance exam was required and it was considered one of the better NYC high schools. It was fairly mixed, with Asians probably disproportionately represented. The black kids, who supposedly took the same entrance exam, made the place very ghetto, that is the only word for it. Harassed the other students, disrupted classes over complete bullshit, disrespected teachers. The neighborhood was a complete shithole back then and the non-blacks just kept their heads down and got to the train station as quickly as possible, you did not hang around, definitely got out of there before night fall.

I transferred to my neighborhood school my third year. It was predominantly white middle/working class. What a fucking huge difference!!! I was never harassed, 0 tolerance for disrespecting teachers (who were very dedicated and clearly loved their work), students were motivated, smart, expected to go to college or do get a job after graduation. My grades improved, it was a joy to go to school. However, the neighborhood around that school changed quickly during the 1980s. There were several shootings in the school in the late 80s. The school is now closed.

The inconvenient truth is that no one wants to go to school with blacks, and for good, obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 52April 28, 2018 5:09 PM

R44, I’m sure your boarding school selected the “poor kids” who received scholarships very carefully. As in, they allowed in kids who had already demonstrated the interest in/capacity to learn.

Now, had they picked scholarship recipients out of a hat containing the names of the 25% lowest performers, and turned those kids into winners, then they’d be on to something.

by Anonymousreply 53April 28, 2018 5:13 PM

R 52 Do you think all people were raised in crap neighborhoods? LOL. Black and raised in the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 54April 28, 2018 5:13 PM

This is all sad yet comical how some of you've been trained to think. Have a plane to catch.

by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2018 5:17 PM

Neighborhoods become crap when blacks move in, R54. This is true for the suburbs, too.

by Anonymousreply 56April 28, 2018 5:39 PM

[quote]Isn't it racist to automatically assume these 25% low performing students are minorities? That's what these headline writers and tweeters have done, automatically assume.

This is the part I don't get. All the people protesting and calling the white people are racist, are the racists themselvs, assuming the lower performers are non-whites!!!!

wtf????

by Anonymousreply 57April 28, 2018 5:42 PM

That's very true R52. I know black people who grew up in black neighborhoods and their parents sent them to private schools where they would get a better education.

by Anonymousreply 58April 28, 2018 5:43 PM

This guy isn't going to be at his job for very long, one more embarrassing episode and De Blasio will show him the door.

by Anonymousreply 59April 28, 2018 5:48 PM

The classist caste system that Whites want strictly enforced to keep racial minorities at arms length is also destroying them. proven by the widening wealth gap.

by Anonymousreply 60April 28, 2018 5:49 PM

How is saying "i dont 'want people who scored in the bottom 25% of the tests" racist?

by Anonymousreply 61April 28, 2018 5:53 PM

Because the bottom 25% are entirely black. The average black IQ is under 90. They had to re-define the word "moron" to keep the majority of black people out of that category. The majority of black students cannot begin to keep up with non-black students, nor do they wish to. Filling a high-performing school with black students automatically turns it into a low-performing school. Blacks don't suddenly achieve just because you treat them as if they were white. Give them every opportunity and watch most of them do nothing with it.

by Anonymousreply 62April 28, 2018 5:57 PM

R62 I was hoping the side calling the white peope racist would replky, not an actual racist.

I'd love to see the so called progressives labelling the white people "racist" answer my question without sounding racist themselves.

by Anonymousreply 63April 28, 2018 5:59 PM

This is why NYC is getting Chick-Fil-A. Republicans will be taking over the city and state next.

by Anonymousreply 64April 28, 2018 6:00 PM

Why don't they spend the money on improving the schools in the transfer student's original neighborhoods? If we can't fix the problem at it's source then spreading the student around will only cause the problems to enter into other schools. This is unfair to the 75% of students that will be left behind at the other school. I get all of the parent's concerns from both setts of schools, but these conversations rarely address the issues faced at the original schools. The chancellor is battling the wrong people.

The 75% left behind in a failing school are the real victims that should be given the time, resources, and manpower to increase standards and implement more order in these buildings. Black people are just as capable of achieving greatness, but something is holding us back. We need to figure out what that is.

by Anonymousreply 65April 28, 2018 6:08 PM

^ so sorry for my typos. I might need to head back to school lol.

by Anonymousreply 66April 28, 2018 6:09 PM

R52, was your high school South Shore or Sheepshead Bay High School, perchance?

by Anonymousreply 67April 28, 2018 6:13 PM

[quote]We had kids from poor families and deprived communities on scholarship in my boarding school. Some went off to do better than most of us.

There's some key stuff here. So I don't know the extent to which racism plays a factor in this. But I do know parents locate in certain neighbourhoods because they have certain characteristics. One is always the quality of the school.... the quality of the education. Have you been in a public school? They're all ugly even in the best neighbourhoods but the quality of the education is a key factor. So if my kid was in a good school I wouldn't want it getting disrupted either and I sure as hell wouldn't want my kid being bumped to make way for another kid who didn't live in the neighbourhood. Sucks, yes, but it's reality. And if the social engineers want to say we are engineering your greed, they should damn well just say. But that's not what they're claiming.

A private school can take on deserving students who want to learn but lack means. It is something directly bought and paid for. No one is being displaced because they elect to go to the private school, wherever it is located. That is not the same as a neighbourhood public school.

So it seems to me the thing to do is stopped disrupting neighbourhoods but start finding the money to make schools function, wherever they happen to be located.

by Anonymousreply 68April 28, 2018 6:16 PM

The problem is there has never been money allocated to making schools in poorer neighborhoods better. This has been going on for a hundred years. You don't want minority kids going to school with White kids? Demand the other schools get an upgrade to the White schools standards. You don't have an argument when the system has been gamed in favor of wealthy White people. If you don't want to make it equal then live with the forced integration.

by Anonymousreply 69April 28, 2018 6:22 PM

R67, South Shore.

by Anonymousreply 70April 28, 2018 6:22 PM

R59, have you forgotten about NY's recent, republican past?  Truth is NY isn't THAT liberal.  A moderate republican stands a good chance at getting elected.  De Blasio was elected (twice) on the lowest percentage of registered voter because the republicans didn't run a viable candidate.

by Anonymousreply 71April 28, 2018 6:23 PM

It's very possible that the majority of the parents complaining are deplorables. The progressives are probably sitting this out. The whole UWS did not go 100% Hillary, ffs. Also, parents with two working brain cells know that this will have lttle effect if their child is bright. There is a tier system in NYC elementary and middle schools whereby students are grouped according to ability. For instance 3rd grade has classes 3-1 through 3-10 with those students who are deemed 'gifted and talented' being 3-1 and so forth down to 3-10 being the kids with special needs. If little Austin and Madisyn are of average intelligence, there is no problem. They won't have to sit next to poor children. /s

by Anonymousreply 72April 28, 2018 6:27 PM

Rush to the airport, then sit and wait..arrgh

R62 You are right. Everyone voicing concern in the article or in that meeting is probably not racist. However, you have to know that some of those voices used it as a tool to spread their own racist views. Think that isn't the case? Just look at the responses in this thread. Some people put thought into their posts, answered questions, or threw out questions of their own. And then you have the posters who sound like they just came out of the 1950's (ghetto realness, blacks can't do well in school, shouldn't be in suburbs) and add nothing to the conversation.

Ultimately, I did have to think about what you said. All of those people probably didn't immediately come to racist conclusions. Just like all black people don't work in the streets. I'm very successful. That's not a brag, but I'm pretty sure if, say R62, saw the size of the home my husband and I own, he would probably assume I was a drug dealer or a rapper. Neither are the case.

Thanks for your insight.

by Anonymousreply 73April 28, 2018 6:29 PM

R53 yes you're right, they had to sit for a test.

by Anonymousreply 74April 28, 2018 6:31 PM

There are plenty of conservative Black, Latino, Asian, Jewish, etc. people who are able "diversify" a school. This is about rich vs poor and conservative vs. liberal.

by Anonymousreply 75April 28, 2018 6:31 PM

R70, ha I had a feeling it was South Shore! Just threw in Sheepshead for the hell of it. I live in the neighborhood but never heard of anyone who went there before it closed. Just decades ago when it wasn't bad. It really was okay back in the day from what I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 76April 28, 2018 6:32 PM

people who are able TO "diversify" a school.

by Anonymousreply 77April 28, 2018 6:32 PM

I always went to private schools and in high school was in the honors and AP classes and was glad I wasn't with the dumb lazy ghetto students. They are a distraction and I wouldn't want my kids to be around them either. Stay woke!

by Anonymousreply 78April 28, 2018 6:33 PM

R61 That post was for you.

by Anonymousreply 79April 28, 2018 6:34 PM

These white kids get into these schools from money due to over privileged parents. Gwyneth Paltrow and Paris Hilton attended these schools. That should tell you all you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 80April 28, 2018 6:34 PM

[quote]I was hoping the side calling the white peope racist would replky, not an actual racist.

An honest conversation about race requires an honest evaluation of the mental capacity of black people compared to non-blacks. You wouldn't put the white "special needs" kids into a white Advanced Placement class and expect them to succeed. Putting low IQ black kids into high-performing white majority schools will bring down the school academically long before it lifts up the black kids. Sad but true. Reality is racist.

by Anonymousreply 81April 28, 2018 6:39 PM

The ideas are fine, as long as the actions back them up. It's the Utopian "drop and run" mentality that makes a mess of things. You have to follow through, stop with the pretending when certain aspects of a program don't work out and keep a willingness to accept reality as it is and not simply as you want it to be. There are things of greater value than simply IQ and testing scores: Character is more important and harder to reverse later in life. There's nothing more dangerous to humanity than an uber-genius sociopath.

But that means no "off the radar", little secret arrangements for school officials, politicians and teachers for personal benefit or political gain. No self-interested infiltration by NGO's. Addressing behavioral problems with dependable discipline. Not giving students with wealthier parents little allowances that put poorer students at a disadvantage, even if they're higher achieving than the wealthier kids. Helping children develop actual thinking skills and social virtues, without the obsession with promoting specific political ideologies, not being stuck having to fake certain results that don't exist, just to keep certain programs funded.

What's needed is honesty, all around and a development of understanding. That's understanding by parents of all backgrounds, without condescending to anyone or demonizing people for their legitimate concerns. Kids shouldn't be the subjects of unethical social experiments: The goals are academic success, a skill set that prepares young people to assume the duties of a society and promotion of mental well being for everyone, not isolated groups looked upon as novelties.

by Anonymousreply 82April 28, 2018 6:39 PM

R81 Look up "Redlining". New Deal.

There is legitimacy to the concerns and we have problems that have been simmering for a very, long time. But school officials moving forward while in denial, will not fix the problems. People have to be honest, regardless of political loyalties.

by Anonymousreply 83April 28, 2018 6:41 PM

R81 You fail to realize all kids of color do not have a low IQ. If you want an honest conversation about race, you have to recognize that as well. And while you're at it, please note that all white kids aren't intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 84April 28, 2018 6:44 PM

Every race has their idiots.

by Anonymousreply 85April 28, 2018 6:45 PM

[quote]An honest conversation about race requires an honest evaluation of the mental capacity of black people compared to non-blacks

As opposed to how white people benefit (and have always benefitted) from money and connections to get through their educational experiences. The jock that was passed along so he could to go to college and become a star originated from Caucasian schools.

by Anonymousreply 86April 28, 2018 6:45 PM

R60 most whites aren't members of the upper class like these UWS parents. These UWS parents aren't experiencing any wealth gap.

by Anonymousreply 87April 28, 2018 6:46 PM

R85 "Except feline 'idiots' are still superior to every, other kind."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 28, 2018 6:49 PM

This doesn't sit well with me and I'm a black woman. I would hate it if I had a child to go to that particular school under the perception that she/he got in ONLY because of a fucking quota. What does that say about society and non-white people? That in order to be amongst them, the bar has to be lowered? Fuck that! That part of Manhattan has always been lily white or Jewish, with a sprinkling of Asians and even less blacks. What Manhattan needs is private schooling that is not so extremely cost prohibitive that excludes so many minority children that are naturally very bright. When I did live in NY 2000-2001, I knew that it would be useless to raise a child in Manhattan w/o being married and w/o earning at least $200K.

by Anonymousreply 89April 28, 2018 6:50 PM

Why is race even being brought up???? it's about test scores.

by Anonymousreply 90April 28, 2018 6:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 28, 2018 6:52 PM

R88 Next time another white student shoots up a school, make sure to repeat that for us all. We may need a reminder of how those kids are superior.

by Anonymousreply 92April 28, 2018 6:53 PM

[quote]This doesn't sit well with me and I'm a black woman. I would hate it if I had a child to go to that particular school under the perception that she/he got in ONLY because of a fucking quota. What does that say about society and non-white people?

It says more about how white people have benefitted greatly from money and connections than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 93April 28, 2018 6:54 PM

Sadly I do not believe it's possible to have mature discussion about racism with anyone. There is a lot of negative emotions associated with the topic and they bubble up to the surface the moment people open their mouths. People can't detach their emotions from the topic and it goes personal and heated fast.

But then is it even possible in our society to have mature discussions about any topic these days? Sexual identity, rich vs. poor, etc.

by Anonymousreply 94April 28, 2018 6:55 PM

Still waiting for an answer on how it's "RACIST" to say you don't want the school to take in low performers.

by Anonymousreply 95April 28, 2018 6:56 PM

Our society's problem is that we're drowning in jerks of every kind. People are acting like jerks at every opportunity to be a jerk. Being a jerk in public used to be seen as mental instability, having a meltdown. Now being a jerk is the resting position of most people. People are unreasonable and unfair. They'll bend for unworthy things but remain rigid over stupid things that people shouldn't even waste time fighting about.

We have to help each other and stop using each other but one without the other will only result in exploitation and resentment. We need both together.

by Anonymousreply 96April 28, 2018 6:58 PM

[quote]It says more about how white people have benefitted greatly from money and connections than anything else.

White people benefit from applying themselves individually toward personal betterment. White students who succeed do so because they value their books and their studies more than their sneakers and their bling.

by Anonymousreply 97April 28, 2018 6:59 PM

R97 What do you say to adult, black professionals? That comment may work if you talk to a teenager, but not a black adult who more than likely makes more than you. By the way, to be clear, that's me.

Don't sidestep.

by Anonymousreply 98April 28, 2018 7:04 PM

[quote] The ideas are fine, as long as the actions back them up.

Correct. If the idea is good, it needs a better way to implement it.

by Anonymousreply 99April 28, 2018 7:05 PM

Just to be the devil's advocate, I had the exact opposite happen. We live in a rural area, and although we are zoned for the fancy "A" performing school, my son had to go to the Elementary school adjacent to the White trash/ meth trading neighborhood that also had a high percentage of migrant workers, because that's where they put all the Autism services. I know a joke. I was really worried because actually, my kid is smart as awhip. Surprisingly besides the ELA and Special Services classes, the school instituted a type of "Civic Pride" program that at first I thought was total bullshit. The kids really bought into it. With all their varient needs the community pulled together- including bagging groceries for the poorest families on the weekends so that kids wouldn't go hungry, and YES, gifted classes for kids like my son. So sometimes it works.

by Anonymousreply 100April 28, 2018 7:05 PM

BLACK PEOPLE and SJWS: Why is it racist to oppose schools forcibly taking bottom performers????

by Anonymousreply 101April 28, 2018 7:05 PM

[quote]Why is it racist to oppose schools forcibly taking bottom performers????

It's a form of bottom-shaming.

by Anonymousreply 102April 28, 2018 7:09 PM

R101 I already answered you. Some people are opposing for educational purposes, but for others that is not the case and it's used to push their own racist agenda.

by Anonymousreply 103April 28, 2018 7:09 PM

This story isn't about race, it's about class. Not that I agree with the parents here but I will admit to some classist issues of my own, if I'm being honest.

by Anonymousreply 104April 28, 2018 7:10 PM

[quote][R101] I already answered you. Some people are opposing for educational purposes, but for others that is not the case and it's used to push their own racist agenda.

no you didn't. Explain how saying "I don't want people who score low on tests and get bad grades" is a "racist agenda"?

by Anonymousreply 105April 28, 2018 7:10 PM

Hey, just admit the lowest performing 25% of Asian students. They will still score higher than most of the white ones and the school doesn't have to go to hell.

by Anonymousreply 106April 28, 2018 7:11 PM

We need exposure to different cultures and lifestyles (straight vs. straight, religion, rich vs. poor, different races, different cultures, etc.) in order to appreciate the diversity that exists on this earth. Bigotry is the very defintion of being afraid and considering everything else outside your comfort zone / safe space a threat.

by Anonymousreply 107April 28, 2018 7:13 PM

[quote]not a black adult who more than likely makes more than you. By the way, to be clear, that's me.

You definitely make more money than I do. Some black people are very smart and even the dumb ones can be very capable. Black people have a hard time competing with non-blacks because until your ancestors were kidnapped and forced to assimilate into the non-black world, they were tens of thousands of years behind the rest of us and you are still playing catch-up. Your money doesn't alter the fact that my ancestors built cathedrals and mapped the stars at the same time yours ran about naked and lived in mud huts.

by Anonymousreply 108April 28, 2018 7:14 PM

[quote] so you're saying kids who perform low are by default from different cultural/racial backgrounds?

Isn't that a little..... you know..... racist???

by Anonymousreply 109April 28, 2018 7:14 PM

R80, I never set a dainty foot in a public school. Take it back!

by Anonymousreply 110April 28, 2018 7:18 PM

R108 The Dogons were making eerily accurate star maps in those "mud huts".

by Anonymousreply 111April 28, 2018 7:18 PM

R108

I'm not one of those people who continue to talk about the eons ago past. Some will, that's not me. We're talking about the here and now. You mentioned sneakers and bling. I'm still waiting to hear how you feel that relates to black professionals .

by Anonymousreply 112April 28, 2018 7:19 PM

R105 That statement is not racist. But I didn't respond because of that sentence. I've responded to the posts of racists on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 113April 28, 2018 7:23 PM

R112, black people become professionals the same way non-blacks become professionals - study, hard work and individual application, things that the average black pupil in the NYC school system mocks and avoids.

The events of "eons past" are relevant today because we pass on the things we learn to each successive generation. Evolution is observable from one century to the next. We are all moving forward, but some tribes of people were a lot more advanced a lot earlier than others. We can't help inheriting the privileges of enlightenment passed on to us via the DNA of our forebears.

by Anonymousreply 114April 28, 2018 7:27 PM

R108 Nigerian, 12th - 14th century. Who made the Yoruban carvings? I see some similarities with the Chinese terracotta sculptures but there's no evidence of a connection. The techniques do not appear to be the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115April 28, 2018 7:27 PM

IQ scores, world ranking:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116April 28, 2018 7:27 PM

R108 Also, humans build with what they have. Have lots of rocks in your land? You probably built shelter from stacked rocks. Caves? Those, too. Dry, arid place? Clay and mud, similar to what's called "rammed Earth homes" today. lots of thick, reedy grasses? Grass thatched roofs. Some things are planned, some things are random and just about being in a certain place at a certain time.

by Anonymousreply 117April 28, 2018 7:34 PM

R101, because in urban setting the low performers tend to come from poorer neighborhoods, and in NYC those neighborhoods tend to be minority.

by Anonymousreply 118April 28, 2018 7:38 PM

R114 If that's the case, if all you have is your forebearers past to go on, and assuming you worked hard, shouldn't you be light years ahead of me? Financially speaking.

You should't look to a long ago past history to propel you forward or as a gauge lump people different from you together.

Gotta go.

by Anonymousreply 119April 28, 2018 7:38 PM

r116 that IQ ranking is total bullshit. No way are Italians #4 in the world.

by Anonymousreply 120April 28, 2018 8:21 PM

I should also add to my post @r118 that it's not a reflection on the minority but more a reflection of being poor.

by Anonymousreply 121April 28, 2018 8:33 PM

Enough whining about the dumb kids. Have some sympathy for the trials and tribulations of the downtrodden UWS residents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 28, 2018 9:04 PM

Why do all students have to have college prep courses? Why not consider that some students are better off learning a trade in a tech school and then going to work? I would have rather done that. Tech schools were so looked down upon when I went to high school.

What is wrong with putting older non-performers in the military? Maybe some type of public works program as paid workers? If they mature, maybe when older they could go to a community college and take the remedial work they need.

by Anonymousreply 123April 28, 2018 10:08 PM

Yes R45 ,that would change how I felt about it.

by Anonymousreply 124April 28, 2018 10:38 PM

[quote]that IQ ranking is total bullshit. No way are Italians #4 in the world.

The Roman Empire, the Renaissance, the endless list of artists, architects, explorers, musicians, inventors, scientists....it's understandable that their ranking is high.

by Anonymousreply 125April 28, 2018 10:44 PM

[quote] The Roman Empire, the Renaissance, the endless list of artists, architects, explorers, musicians, inventors, scientists....

Don't forget Chef Boyardee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126April 28, 2018 11:06 PM

And all of you mocked me for homeschooling my children.

PS: my curriculum can be purchased for a very reasonable price.

by Anonymousreply 127April 28, 2018 11:26 PM

[quote] Being that you graduated (I assume) 30 or 40 yrs ago, any number of things could have happened. If you would like to tell us the name and location of the school. We can research and find out exactly what happened.

Yes, indeed. She asked for ALL that shade.

by Anonymousreply 128April 28, 2018 11:36 PM

[quote]is akin to sticking your finger in a dyke.

And speaking of sticking your finger in a dyke, Cynthia Nixon For Governor will fix this problem.

by Anonymousreply 129April 28, 2018 11:40 PM

[quote] Because the bottom 25% are entirely black. The average black IQ is under 90. They had to re-define the word "moron" to keep the majority of black people out of that category. The majority of black students cannot begin to keep up with non-black students, nor do they wish to. Filling a high-performing school with black students automatically turns it into a low-performing school. Blacks don't suddenly achieve just because you treat them as if they were white. Give them every opportunity and watch most of them do nothing with it.

???? This is just some shit quoted directly from a webpage for white supremacist "morons."

by Anonymousreply 130April 28, 2018 11:46 PM

[quote] Why do all students have to have college prep courses? Why not consider that some students are better off learning a trade in a tech school and then going to work? I would have rather done that. Tech schools were so looked down upon when I went to high school.

[quote] What is wrong with putting older non-performers in the military? Maybe some type of public works program as paid workers? If they mature, maybe when older they could go to a community college and take the remedial work they need.

Racism begets class stratification which is the direct cause of the wealth/opportunity gap. Students don't become high-achievers in a void. You need socio-economic infrastructure and elimination of bias for children to thrive and succeed. Even very poor whites don't suffer from racist stigma of being under-achievers or from social and cultural denigration. Poor whites have access to opportunity and automatic expectations of success, and a safe space to prosper that is not available to poor non-whites. Being free of unreasonable persecution by law enforcement is just one of many advantages poor whites have over non-whites.

You cannot consign low-performing students to occupations of lesser status without first ensuring that every obstacle to success has been removed. We aren't there. As evidenced by this discussion, we are very far from being there.

by Anonymousreply 131April 29, 2018 12:04 AM

The “Institutional Racism professor” Troll at r26 keeps popping up and lecturing everybody in different threads. What a tiresome, tedious existence it must lead.

by Anonymousreply 132April 29, 2018 12:08 AM

[quote]You cannot consign low-performing students to occupations of lesser status without first ensuring that every obstacle to success has been removed.

Don't be a snob. Some of those "occupations of lesser status" pay more than their degree counterparts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133April 29, 2018 12:09 AM

While that shit-stirrer Carranza has everyone at each other's throats making this about race, we are overlooking their main objective: By taking 25% of students from a low ranking school and placing them in a high ranking school they are automatically making the low ranking school's stats look like they have improved. They're just shuffling students around and cooking the books to make it look like they're improving scores but in the end, they're just going to bring down the scores for the UWS schools. But of course, by then Carranza will be on to bigger and better career opportunities and de Blasio will be running for POTUS on a bogus record. God Bless America.

by Anonymousreply 134April 29, 2018 4:12 AM

"It's a shame that most on this thread view black people by what they've seen on tv."

NO. We view them by what we see on the subway EVERY day when these "kids" come and go to school.

NYC's schools have to stay the way they are just for the preservation of the property values and neighborhoods. Now, I do not have children, so on the education part I will not comment BUT I know New York City better than anybody, and if this Chancellor - who should always be reminded he was SECOND choice - thinks this SJW shit is going to fly here - well he is going to suddenly find our non-Sinclair-owned local news channels destroying him over some "irregularity" or "personal indescretion" Trust me.

Remember this is New York City - not some Texas prairie with already diversified schools or the "diversifed" military filled with red state trash. Our neighborhoods are segregated by choice and should stay that way.

by Anonymousreply 135April 29, 2018 4:47 AM

Oh, and we are not just talking about black people - we definitely need to include the Dominicans, the ridiculously-huge populations of Muslims and the peasant class Chinese in my Brooklyn neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 136April 29, 2018 4:51 AM

R46

Welfare hurt inner city black communities by inhibiting family formation -you don’t get as many benefits if you are married to and living with the father, or have a job that pays above a certain amount.

The drug war gave young black men that had little to lose a lucrative option, resulting in larger numbers of them being jailed, increasing the number of fatherless homes.

But the public skool system- which harms ALL children, no matter their race, by acting as a dumb and permissive “in loco parentis”, enabling reckless parents to offload their undisciplined offspring onto 13+ years of “educational welfare”- is by far the worst culprit.

Education should be the responsibility of the family, and removal of that responsibility has permanently damaged over 3 generations of children.

by Anonymousreply 137April 29, 2018 5:15 AM

R82

Public Edukayshun itself is a failed social engineering experiment.

by Anonymousreply 138April 29, 2018 5:25 AM

R89

I’m sorry for the abuse you will suffer for not accepting the mainstream view.

A girl I’m working with just got accepted to Yale. I was so happy- she’s brilliant, looking to study neuroscience with a focus on the elderly- but FUCK if I didn’t wonder if it was impacted by her race/ethnicity (parents are Christian Nigerian immigrants) and worry that her study background (public school, very few Ivy alum) will leave her disadvantaged.

by Anonymousreply 139April 29, 2018 5:34 AM

[quote] Oh, and we are not just talking about black people - we definitely need to include the Dominicans...

90% of Dominicans are Black.

by Anonymousreply 140April 29, 2018 5:35 AM

[quote] 90% of Dominicans are Black.

A small fraction of the slaves taken from Africa were shipped to the North American colonies. The Caribbean and Brazil were swamped with them.

by Anonymousreply 141April 29, 2018 5:39 AM

So hypocritical NYC SJW to make this "racism" when it's perfectly understandable outrage about bringing poor performing students in---they're not going to put them in their own remedial classes there, because that might actually make sense, and, you know, help them. No, they're going to push them in with high-performing kids and pretend that will help. It won't help the poor performers--news flash: it doesn't "rub off." You have to change the home environment and load them up with special remedial attention in class settings geared to that. They're not gonna do that here. All they're gonna do is trash the educational experience for the high performers. They parents will then take the high performers out and pay private for the perfectly understandable goal of getting their kids a good education, and then the lying will continue, as we'll hear that too called "racism.'

by Anonymousreply 142April 29, 2018 10:49 AM

If you want better students, you need better parents. Throwing bad students (with apathetic parents) into a school with good students (and active parents) will end up helping very few and hurting many more. What happens to the 25% of students displaced from the school? Or is the plan to cram more students in the school?

by Anonymousreply 143April 29, 2018 11:27 AM

I wonder why this is only the UWS and not other neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 144April 29, 2018 11:41 AM

I live in the UWS and am familiar with what some people think is one of the best, wealthiest PS. It is for shit! The curriculum is horrible. The classes or overcrowded and there is very little money for the arts, music and sports.

Parents have to pay for expensive after-school programs for those things. Holiday stage productions have no sets or props. Kids buy their own costumes.

It is not lily white here. This is a gentrified Jewish, Puerto Rican, Dominican and black area.

The area that was bulldozed for Lincoln Center was known as "San Juan Hill" and was where the musical "West Side Story" was set. There are housing projects in the UWS, rent-stabilized apts. as well as multi-million dollar townhouses and condos.

The kids are all races. There are girls adopted from orphanages in China - mostly by Jewish families and single moms. Mandarin is taught all around here.

There hsas been an influx of hedgefund assholes whose trophy wives block every sidewalk w/ double-wide baby strollers. There aren't enough spots open the the schools now.

Money needs to be pumped into every public school to improve them and clean up the water that has lead levels equal to Flint. Kids need to be able to walk to school and not commute out of their neighborhoods, which is stressful and time-consuming for kids and their parents.

by Anonymousreply 145April 29, 2018 12:19 PM

San Juan Hill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146April 29, 2018 12:21 PM

R145 does a great job of summing up the UWS in just a few lines:

[quote] There are girls adopted from orphanages in China - mostly by Jewish families and single moms.

[quote] There has been an influx of hedgefund assholes whose trophy wives block every sidewalk w/ double-wide baby strollers.

by Anonymousreply 147April 29, 2018 12:27 PM

R142 I'm a little tired of posts that mention how this has to do with education, not racism. If you look at some of the posts in this thread, CLEARLY for some, it's about being racist at every turn.

You can talk about 'hypocritical NYC SJW want to make this about 'racism' all day, but have you read and called out the racist posters here? If you don't want to go far just look at R135 People like them, who say the sewage that spews out of their mouth, are the very reason people are focused on the racism of the article.

It's akin to either not reading through this particular thread or voluntarily sticking your head in the sand everytime some says 'why do people assume this is about racism'.

by Anonymousreply 148April 29, 2018 12:30 PM

R147 Thanks for correcting my typo and appreciating my observations.

Below is a map that shows the borders of the UWS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 29, 2018 12:37 PM

Also, I agree with R143. Going to add that whoever they choose to move should be based on that kids effort in school, grades, drive to do well. That way the kids who move can excel and the school's current way of life isn't disrupted either. There's no need to move a disruptive youth.

by Anonymousreply 150April 29, 2018 12:38 PM

I’m black, grew up working class in Ohio, and I thank GOD my mom took one look at the poor black elementary school I spent a few months in then pulled an address stunt to send me to a good elementary school on the east side of town where I was one of the only black kids. I’ve always been smart, and thank god that gave me a base. I’m now (35) an ivy-league educated journalist and award-winning author living in NYC. Some of the stuff on this thread is just Stormfront racism that isn’t even worthy of being addressed, but what I will say is that black kids don’t need white kids to learn. In this city they just have less resources than anyone. But I do NOT AGREE with shuffling lower performers in public school (who are all, let’s face it, black and Latino) to higher performing schools. That is not the answer. They will drag everyone down, I’m sorry. The answer is also NOT shuffling more and more money into poor public schools. I used to think that charter schools and school choice was a sham to direct government money to private companies, but the more I learn and the more I think about it: it works. Not only because higher achieving black and Brown kids with involved parents (always the deciding factor) WILL benefit from school choice, but also because throwing money at public schools will never, ever fix the inherent issue: young black and brown kids with parents that are either struggling, uninvolved, uneducated themselves, or genuinely don’t care. Because I’m actually Black and not a racist, When I see these kids running wild in NYC at 3:30 every day it isn’t hard for me to identify the ones who already have major issues at home and are going nowhere and the ones who are just normal black teenagers. The problem is that we spend WAY too much time and energy and money to raise the former when their parents aren’t even doing that job. To hell with social engineering in high schools and to hell with spending so much energy and resources on kids whose own parents can’t even bother.

by Anonymousreply 151April 29, 2018 12:53 PM

This guy looks FTM.

by Anonymousreply 152April 29, 2018 12:56 PM

Just think of all the new material Law and Order: SVU will have!

by Anonymousreply 153April 29, 2018 2:32 PM

What r151 is talking about, for those of you who aren't familiar. NYers have to deal with the following every damn day when school gets out....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154April 29, 2018 2:38 PM

Nyc parent here. Before having kids, I always assumed we would go public. Never gave it a second thought. I support public education and that was that. But after investigation, there was no way I could put my kids in this system. The DOE is a mess. The school’s are failing. Stand outside even a “good” one at release time and you will be shocked by the behavior of the vast majority of the children leaving them. And it’s the middle school level where the problems really arise. It’s not about race, other than that policies have long disadvantaged underserved communities, which are disproportionately POC. Moving kids who are not passing muster into “better” districts is not that answer. I don’t know what is, since I didn’t take this on as my career. I do know that know school chancellor in recent memory seems to have ideas to make things right. They are instead going the wrong direction.

by Anonymousreply 155April 29, 2018 2:49 PM

R12 you must of grown up around NO black people, since they use the N word CONSTANTLY

by Anonymousreply 156April 29, 2018 2:59 PM

So your mother lied, R151, and the homeowners on the east side ended up paying for your education. Good to know.

by Anonymousreply 157April 29, 2018 4:13 PM

R154, that is obviously a fake video with Russian actors pretending they are young African Americans.

by Anonymousreply 158April 29, 2018 4:24 PM

"Its not about race" is the biggest fallacy being said here. Its exactly about race. The majority of that 25% will not be white. But it isnt about race in the sense that some posters would like it to be.Skin color has little to do with it. People arent protesting because they hate brown children,they are protesting because said brown children come from highly dysfunctional single parent homes with a cycle of poverty deeply ingrained (though Id like to add what is called "poverty" here is Valhalla to many other countries).Said children are undisciplined,unwilling to learn,violent,angry and contribute zero to the overall well being of the schools. Not all of them,of course,but enough to get the reputation that precedes them.IF said brown children came into the schools willing to learn how to behave,willing to study,willing to uplift themselves,I guarantee 90% of those parents would be fine with it. But we all KNOW that wont be the way it will go,for reasons to innumerable to list.Thats what these people are upset about. R45 asked if they culled the best of the failing schools would peoples opinions change,and I absolutely agree they would. But weve seen this story over and over and over,and it never ends on a bright note,does it?

by Anonymousreply 159April 29, 2018 4:28 PM

An ex-bf of mine lived across the street from a PS that was ghetto kids. In the afternoon when school got out - OMFG!- I know this sounds harsh but they were basically feral animals.

If I had kids I would be angry as hell that kids like this would be in the same school with mine. What's the point of working your ass off to live in a nice neighborhood with a good school system when these little monsters are just going to show up anyway? Yes that's harsh but it's fucking reality.

by Anonymousreply 160April 29, 2018 4:40 PM

I worked with a woman who got her Masters through Bloomberg's "we're desperate for teachers" program. She told me all types of terrible stuff that went on. One teenage girl would eat the ass of her boyfriend in the school's basement. The teacher contacted the mother to discuss it saying that the daughter could catch a disease doing that and the mother told the teacher it was none of her business who her daughter had sex with.

by Anonymousreply 161April 29, 2018 5:29 PM

Yay the black kids are gonn fuck the white kods and have brown babies.

by Anonymousreply 162April 29, 2018 5:49 PM

[quote]One teenage girl would eat the ass of her boyfriend in the school's basement.

I mean...

by Anonymousreply 163April 29, 2018 6:22 PM

R159 As a black man who was brought up rather well, who has friends of all backgrounds, this thread in itself is a huge wake up call. No matter how you live your life, education you acquire, how professional you are, money you have, your white friends will only see you as uneducated, violent, angry, and undisciplined. If all white people hold this thinking, they were never my friends in the first place, and doubt I'll ever look at them the same.

Thanks for the wake up call.

by Anonymousreply 164April 29, 2018 6:34 PM

R164, Didn’t you get the memo? White people are awful...so fucking entitled and preternaturally racist!

by Anonymousreply 165April 29, 2018 6:42 PM

Are these the same Manhattan Whites who voted for Hillary 94%?

by Anonymousreply 166April 29, 2018 6:44 PM

R164, I can't speak for others but I would take many of these posts with a huge grain of salt. Again, I believe we're talking about class difference, not race. The posts stereotyping one race will do that no matter the argument.

As you said in your post, you were brought up rather well, so why would you think people of any race would think less of you? You grouping all whites as having the same mentality and hive mind is the same as what you're accusing all whites of doing to AAs. It's not true so don't allow anons on an anonymous site to get to you.

by Anonymousreply 167April 29, 2018 7:04 PM

This article explains the situation in depth. This is about middle school and not the elementary level. Students apply to middle schools here; it's not only location based.

Of course parents move to be in better schools districts where you automatically get a placement if you're zoned for that school. I *think* your kid will always get a spot at the zoned school in your neighborhood. It's kind of confusing to parents because you apply to your top three choices and you're never certain whether the kid will get in to his or her top choice. They have meetings for fifth grade parents in the spring to discuss how to fill out the application. It's annoyingly difficult and the selection process is not transparent. You fill it out and send it in with hope and a prayer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168April 29, 2018 7:19 PM

And stop saying that these underperforming children will be sitting elbow to elbow with clever little Madysin. That's just not the case. The kids are grouped according to grades and test scores. They merely want to get these kids inside the better middle schools because they have better resources and better teachers overall.

by Anonymousreply 169April 29, 2018 7:25 PM

R167 because R164 doesn't want to talk about class differences.

He wants to pretend these UWS parents would be completely welcoming to unruly rednecks sitting next to their precious little Madisyn just as long as they were white.

by Anonymousreply 170April 29, 2018 7:33 PM

this is never going to work until black children are given a decent education starting at the Beginning. there are so many smart black people who are never given the opportunity to learn so if they had a decent education starting in preschool, they would be on the same level as other kids. They need to start at the beginning instead of trying to bring them into the fold when it is too late and they are already behind. if they had started it this way years ago we wouldn't be having this problem today.

by Anonymousreply 171April 29, 2018 7:34 PM

The problem isn't being "behind". It's the behavior. You can tutor someone who is "behind". They do it all the time with immigrant students who don't know English.

by Anonymousreply 172April 29, 2018 7:37 PM

[quote]this is never going to work until black children are given a decent education starting at the Beginning.

Starting at home R171, starting at home.

by Anonymousreply 173April 29, 2018 7:44 PM

[quote] this is never going to work until black children are given a decent education

But a decent education is acting white motherfucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 29, 2018 7:51 PM

[quote] The problem isn't being "behind". It's the behavior. You can tutor someone who is "behind". They do it all the time with immigrant students who don't know English.

Your assumption that the majority of black students = "behavioral" problem is absurd and it is the "problem". And the article gives no specifics about race. "Immigrant students" of varying ethnicities and Latino American students etc. will no doubt make up a portion of the students.

by Anonymousreply 175April 29, 2018 7:51 PM

exactly - why isn’t baby daddy at the PTA night going over the curriculum? Lol

by Anonymousreply 176April 29, 2018 7:54 PM

R175, you are the one that made that connection. I'm just saying it's not a problem to tutor a willing student who is behind. NYC schools take in kids from over the world who are initially "behind".

But it is difficult to tutor unwilling students.

by Anonymousreply 177April 29, 2018 7:55 PM

R170 Funny, I didn't see R159 mention one thing about class. So why is it something I don't want to discuss? Go call out R159

by Anonymousreply 178April 29, 2018 7:58 PM

[quote] But a decent education is acting white motherfucker.

[quote] exactly - why isn’t baby daddy at the PTA night going over the curriculum? Lol

But a portion of dataloungers are insecure race baiting white supremacists.

[quote] [R175], you are the one that made that connection. I'm just saying it's not a problem to tutor a willing student who is behind. NYC schools take in kids from over the world who are initially "behind".

If not stated the connection was implied. Feel free to put your white sheet all the way on. Don't be shy.

[quote] But it is difficult to tutor unwilling students.

Is this a point that you felt was not obvious. There are thousands of willing/capable students who along with their parents are fighting to get into better schools. But that's not what you want to talk about. You want keep throwing around stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 179April 29, 2018 8:01 PM

R178, because you said this:

No matter how you live your life, education you acquire, how professional you are, money you have, your white friends will only see you as uneducated, violent, angry, and undisciplined.

Yeah, because your white friends don't take notice of your class. They're just looking at your skin color.

by Anonymousreply 180April 29, 2018 8:03 PM

How is speaking the truth being “white supremacist”?

by Anonymousreply 181April 29, 2018 8:13 PM

R180 With comments coming from this thread, it's a great possibility they say this kind of shit when I or other friends of color aren't around. Those are 'friends' no one needs.

by Anonymousreply 182April 29, 2018 8:14 PM

R182, do you acknowledge there are class differences among Black Americans? I'm curious as to how you perceive Black people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 183April 29, 2018 8:42 PM

What exactly is supposedly going to happen when the underachievers are mixed in the the upper class students a sudden epiphany? Study habits will improve? Standard English will be spoken? Parents start caring? Getting an education will no longer be considered “acting White?”

by Anonymousreply 184April 29, 2018 8:50 PM

If racism were the cause of disadvantaged kids underperforming in school, why are they not doing better in schools where they're overwhelmingly the majority?

by Anonymousreply 185April 29, 2018 9:30 PM

Why don't they transfer some of the top performing teachers to the lower performing school and leave the kids in place?

by Anonymousreply 186April 29, 2018 9:32 PM

[quote] Why don't they transfer some of the top performing teachers to the lower performing school

Because they'd resign first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187April 29, 2018 10:34 PM

[quote] If racism were the cause of disadvantaged kids underperforming in school, why are they not doing better in schools where they're overwhelmingly the majority?

Hmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 188April 29, 2018 10:38 PM

Heres another wake up call for you R164,straight people secretly despise you because you're gay.

by Anonymousreply 189April 30, 2018 12:39 AM

R185 for the win ! Any black DL'ers care to answer that ?

by Anonymousreply 190April 30, 2018 12:44 AM

R185, The problem is not the academics. It's the behavior.

There are many black people who feel like being a goody two shoes and being overly obedient is "cooning" or "buckdancing" for whitey/the "system" so to speak. Kids (that actually are smart) quickly internalize this and act "wild" as a way of showing they are proudly "black" and anti-establishment. Ignorance becomes the way of defiance, and giving the middle finger so to speak. I notice that whites are more obedient to teachers, but black people are more obedient to parents due to stricter households.

There was a time when black mothers and fathers made it clear to their boys that they must tip their hats and let a white man pass them on the street corner if they don't want any trouble. Black people were not allowed to object, question, read, talk, write, or do anything for 300+ years. After the Civil Rights Era, anything " anti-subservience" became cool, and unfortunately that means loud rebellion. The hip hop music literally came about as a form of rebellious, anti-establishment music. As you can see, many of the old school Af. Americans like Poitier, Cosby, Oprah found it abhorrent.

This is not a race and IQ thing though. It's strictly culture. African children are black, and do not have the issues Af. Americans have. In fact, I believe Nigerians have passed Asians as the model minority in terms of educational achievement in the U.S., and they are clearly blacker than Af. Americans. Africans don't feel the same resentment toward whites or have the same pressure to be rebellious by their peers. They see America as a land of opportunity, black Americans see this as a land of oppression.

by Anonymousreply 191April 30, 2018 7:41 AM

NYC has all these different neighborhoods, but it’s not like the suburbs where the tax dollars stay in the neighborhood to fund the schools. For NYC, in theory at least, the money all goes into one pot for all the boroughs and should be doled out to each school equally based on headcount - ie; PS 123 in UWS has 1000 students, PS 456 in Inwood has 1100 students so each should be getting the same per head per student.

If this is how it’s actually done, the problem of underperforming schools/students has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with the DOE and yes, some teachers and administrators. But I do think parents need to step up too in terms of involvement, and instilling discipline (both behavioral and academic).

A genuine question for those with more knowledge on this topic - what is wrong with keeping kids in their neighborhood for schooling? I would think that would foster more parental involvement, which in turn, would hopefully result in school pride, better performance, etc..

by Anonymousreply 192April 30, 2018 8:47 AM

Great explanation, r191....

by Anonymousreply 193April 30, 2018 8:48 AM

R34, the answer to your comments is really very simple. It's because they're all bigots.

by Anonymousreply 194April 30, 2018 10:49 AM

Could we enroll all Ashkenazi Jewish, Korean, Japanese and Chinese families looking to move to the Upper West Side, enroll their kids in the schools and watch those crackers bitch and moan about how these foreigners didn’t vote for Hillary?

by Anonymousreply 195April 30, 2018 11:03 AM

There are no Jewish kids on the UWS?

by Anonymousreply 196April 30, 2018 11:07 AM

African immigrants hate African Americans. They say all the same things about them that racist white people say, and want nothing to do with them.

by Anonymousreply 197April 30, 2018 11:11 AM

[quote]African immigrants hate African Americans. They say all the same things about them that racist white people say, and want nothing to do with them.

Caribbean people are like that as well. They are hard workers and look down on American blacks.

by Anonymousreply 198April 30, 2018 11:18 AM

[quote]African immigrants hate African Americans. They say all the same things about them that racist white people say, and want nothing to do with them.

As do Chinese immigrants, Middle Eastern immigrants, Indian immigrants, Mexican immigrants.....

by Anonymousreply 199April 30, 2018 12:15 PM

Yes, R199, but those same immigrants should realize they would not have the same opportunity to climb the economic ladder if it weren't for the blood, sweat, and tears of African Americans who fought for civil rights in the 50s and 60s. Black, Latino, and Asian immigrants, white women, Jewish people, and LGBT have all benefited from affirmative action and civil rights legislation, arguably more than native blacks have.

I remember after 9/11, Arab and Indian corner store owners that used to tell blacks shopping for items "don't touch" suddenly started saying my brother and trying to connect with blackness. Latinos do the same thing when an incident occurs. Who did the African community in NYC turn to when Amadou Diallo was gunned down? Al Sharpton. His influence led to the city giving a major payout to the immigrant family of Diallo. When in crisis and the heat comes down, it seems everyone looks at blacks to sound the alarm and make noise. Black people have historically been the social justice warriors in many movements,

by Anonymousreply 200May 1, 2018 5:07 AM

R200 is 👶🏿

by Anonymousreply 201May 1, 2018 10:25 PM

^Lol. Typical millennial narcissist “activism”: “Bow down to us for what we did!!! Worship us!!”

by Anonymousreply 202May 1, 2018 11:50 PM

Actually, r157, my grandfather had a house that he very much paid property taxes for in that neighborhood, and that’s the address we used. But thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 203May 5, 2018 12:08 PM

Because importing children from surrounding areas is always a good idea

by Anonymousreply 204May 5, 2018 1:30 PM

If you watch that video, it destroys most misconceptions that the UWS is Some liberal real bastion.

Most of those mothers deserve to be tracked down, tied to 4 posts, gang raped by tbhe very students they discriminate against, and have a knife slut tbeo r fucking throats and gut their stomachs.

I bet most of them are Jewish also.

They all need to be killed along with their children

by Anonymousreply 205May 5, 2018 1:39 PM

R62, you are a troll. Get off this fucking site before I kill you.

by Anonymousreply 206May 5, 2018 1:45 PM

[quote]Black people have historically been the social justice warriors in many movements,

Black people have also caused more of society's problems than any other group.

by Anonymousreply 207May 5, 2018 1:48 PM

R203, did you live at the above-mentioned address? No? Okay. I love the way people rationalize their wrongdoings. Oh, and I don't "play." I obey the laws and local ordinances.

by Anonymousreply 208May 5, 2018 2:35 PM

[quote] Get off this fucking site before I kill you.

I wondered what happened to the I"'ll kill you" troll. I was hoping he/she/it was getting help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209May 5, 2018 9:09 PM

A Kanye Place. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 210May 6, 2018 4:08 AM

Link, r207?

by Anonymousreply 211May 6, 2018 1:14 PM

What R62 and R191 both wrote is true. My black friends agree with this and it's why they were sent to private schools, or why their parents moved away from black neighborhoods so their children would get a better education.

R200 they have? For a very long time LGBT people who are black, mixed race, bi-racial, etc. refused to come out since black people were extremely homophobic, biphobic, and even racist.

by Anonymousreply 212May 6, 2018 1:46 PM

R205 makes death threats against Jews. He is also R206, where he threatens to kill a "troll."

Are death threats allowed on DL?

by Anonymousreply 213May 6, 2018 2:00 PM

----

by Anonymousreply 214June 20, 2018 3:38 AM

It’s all just 2018’s version of “busing”. Didn’t work then, won’t work now. What NYC Dems fear most is an educated middle class largely employed by the private sector - they exercise critical thinking. Ruining their schools is sure way to drive to the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 215June 21, 2018 2:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!