Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Frustrated at visa holdup, Russians give up on American vacations

Russians wanting a glimpse of the American Dream now have to wait. Or not go at all.

Escalating tensions between Moscow and Washington are putting a damper on Russians’ vacation plans, catching ordinary people in a diplomatic crossfire that has distinct Cold War overtones. A year ago, obtaining a U.S. tourist visa could take less than a week. Now, it comes with an eight-month delay.

“I am waiting for a miracle to happen. Maybe tomorrow Russia and the United States will decide they are friends, all staff will come back to the embassy, and I’ll get my visa,” said Mohamed Torky, executive chef at a Holiday Inn in northern Moscow.

Torky had planned a July vacation to the United States, to see fabled Las Vegas and eat steaks in Texas. He even thought of fulfilling his childhood dream of driving a Ford Mustang on American highways. But instead, he’ll be vacationing in nearby Georgia, or Egypt. The 32-year-old is furious. “Putin doesn’t suffer, Trump doesn’t suffer, but people like me suffer,” he said, referring to the Russian and American presidents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2018 1:56 AM

Vere ist my Medicaid?

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2018 11:04 PM

[quote]Torky had planned a July vacation to the United States, to see fabled Las Vegas and eat steaks in Texas. He even thought of fulfilling his childhood dream of driving a Ford Mustang on American highways.

Mo needs to aim for higher vacation goals.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2018 12:29 AM

Good. Keep them the hell away!

by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2018 1:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!