Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pleasant encounters with celebrities

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 28, 2018 4:24 PM

I posted Ben Stiller's picture because I met him once at the Bergamot Station art galleries in Santa Monica, and he was incredibly down to earth and friendly. This was back in 2002, probably during the height of his popularity. Pocket-sized, too.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2018 9:54 PM

I thought he was an asshole but it’s nice to hear.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2018 10:20 PM

Steve Buschemi was super nice and laid-back. Met him at a convention briefly and he seemed like a cool dude.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2018 10:22 PM

Met June Shannon (Mama June). Very cordial.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2018 10:40 PM

Trisha Yearwood is very sweet and genuine.

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2018 10:42 PM

I wonder if Faye dunaway is nice?

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2018 10:56 PM

Sandy Dennis was quite lovely.

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2018 11:09 PM

Joan Rivers. I posted this before but my boyfriend at time saw her at a Starbucks at the Toronto airport. My boyfriend got the guts to say hi to her and she looked at us and asked "Are you two a couple?" and when we said yes she put her arms in the air and said "I found my gays!" She paid for our coffee and took a picture with us.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2018 11:12 PM

Met Donald Sutherland in Toronto after a play he was appearing in. He was very kind and charming, and even taller in real life.

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2018 11:16 PM

Ian McKellen

This was many, many years ago. Worked as his dresser for a tour of the states in the 80s. Sweet, charming, lovely man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2018 11:24 PM

[quote]R6 I wonder if Faye dunaway is nice?

She has mood swings. I think it would depend on when exactly you caught her...

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2018 11:35 PM

I was in line next to Anjelica Huston to pick up tickets to see Baz Lurhmann’s LA BOHEME and I told her I thought she was a wonderful actress. She was nice and said thank you. She was with a date. Then I said I had just watched her on INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO and found her interview to be very interesting, which I admired because it’s an hour long show, and I said not all the guests on that show are really able to communicate that well about acting technique for an hour. She thanked me again and then I left her alone.

My uptight friend I was with asked me why I did that, and I said, “Are you kidding? Actors would be MISERABLE if no one recognized and complimented them!”

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2018 11:44 PM

I used to work for the Toronto International Film Festival's publicity department and one of my jobs was to set up press junkets for some of the films.

Three of the best encounters were:

John Krasinski - when we got him into the seat and he was getting miked, he asked me what my name was and how my day was going. After he was done with his interviews (about 45 mins) he got up shook my hand and called me by name. His wife Emily Blunt on the other hand was a total cunt.

Chris Hemsworth - interviews for his film Rush. He was super easy going, stunningly handsome and he smelt amazing (pretty sure he was wearing acqua di gio). When he left the interviews her patted me on the shoulder and said "thanks mate" I think I jizzed my pants.

Miranda Richardson - was doing press for a film called Belle. She was hungover and had a bad case of the giggles. At one point she turned to me and my coworker and just said "my tits look terrible in this dress"

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2018 11:55 PM

Sarah Paulson at a party. She was so fun and normal. And very charismatic. I told her how much I loved a play she was in with Linda Lavin (Collected Stories) and I think it established me as NOT a dumb-dumb.

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2018 12:07 AM

Donald trump

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2018 12:17 AM

Reported no one ever R15

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2018 12:27 AM

I worked on a shoot with Meredith Vieira that was a total disorganized shambles -- the kind of mess that gets people fired. She would have had every reason to be irritated, but she was warm, patient and encouraging and we got through a very long day with less agony than we deserved.

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2018 12:34 AM

Gregory Harrison, about six years ago. He'd sung at a benefit concert and was part of the meet & greet afterward. Very tall, nice, and I cautiously asked him about 'For Ladies Only," and he happily told the tale of his having self-produced the TV movie, plus other parts of it. Several other gays surrounding us were obviously jealous, because he was directing his chat to me.

Big hands!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2018 12:55 AM

R8 Joan Rivers is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2018 1:12 AM

Me and two friends where sitting in a park in San Fran one day and Richard Crenna walked in with three suits and scouted out the place.We asked him if the park looked good enough for a movie.He said maybe but ours beers looked better.We offered him one but he declined and slit with the suits.

by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2018 1:15 AM

R18, Your story just gave me a chubby.

by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2018 1:19 AM

I have no idea what R20 is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2018 1:21 AM

R17 reminds me of an encounter years ago with Meredith, on The View, when it was just starting out. I was there to do background stuff on a segment and she was just so lovely and down to earth backstage. Everyone else was not interesting in talking to “little people,” and I had been warned beforehand that she would probably the only one who would care enough to greet me and chat. They were right.

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2018 1:29 AM

I was watching a play at the Mark Taper Forum one evening, and several times I heard this marvelously rich, deep, husky voice behind me, speaking to his or her companion or letting out a big hearty laugh. The voice sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it, nor was I sure if it belonged to a woman or a flamboyantly accented man. So, during intermission, I turned to see who this person was, and it was Miss Suzanne Pleshette, sitting next to Tom Poston. We locked eyes and she flashed this wide grin and said, "Hello, dear. Are you enjoying the play so far?" I replied in the affirmative and she responded, "That's good." And when I asked if she was enjoying the play herself, she mentioned that the two actors were good friends of hers. When the play ended and we got up to leave, she wished me a good night. Wonderful woman. Tom, however, remained silent throughout our exchange.

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2018 1:29 AM

Yes, I once met Carlene Carter after a performance when she offered to speak to fans & sign autographs. I'd felt nervous waiting in line but immediately was put at ease in her presence.

Carlene was friendly & even asked if she could give me a hug. At the time, I didn't realize that she is my fifth cousin. We're both descended from the Butcher family. (Loretta Lynn is from the same family after which her homeplace Butcher Hollow was named. Loretta's paternal grandmother was a Butcher.)

by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2018 1:33 AM

I met Garth Brooks a few of times during the late 80's and early 90's while working as a buyer for a couple of record chains. What a total fucking sweetheart! Charming, engaging and a memory that defied belief. The second time I met him he said, didn't you used to work for.... and he was right ( and the prior employer was not really a major player in the biz). He had that talent, which few do, that made you feel like you were the only other person in the room while you were talking to him.

I also remember a post Metropolitan Opera performance dinner with opera star Renee Fleming where the conversation ended up being centered on how hard it was to be a working mother. No pretense, no diva airs, just a woman with a job to do. It was fairly early in her career, but she was already a "star".

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2018 1:36 AM

Catherine Tate was wonderful. Liam neesons late wife Natasha Richardson was Amazing. Sharon. Osborne was fab...Kellie was Adorable. martin kemp was very sweet. heath ledger was so ordinary and nice that after talking to me, I had to be told who he was. But the winner by a mile was Angela lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2018 1:41 AM

R2, I had been lead to believe something similar based off of rumor, but either that was untrue or I caught him in a particularly good mood. He was very nice to a pair of teenagers who recognized him, when I could have seen that situation be very annoying to someone who was just trying to enjoy some art.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2018 1:41 AM

R27, please tell us about Angela Lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2018 1:44 AM

[quote]But the winner by a mile was Angela lansbury.

Yes, Angela is kind of our fairy god mother.

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2018 1:44 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2018 3:39 AM

Watched trump get ambushed by Ali g. Trump was very polite (he was on camera of course) and the only person I know who caught on fast that it was Fake interview. Hes no dunce and does not suffer fools.

by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2018 3:50 AM

Men's room of The Catch. 1989. Keanu. Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2018 3:59 AM

Brie Larson might be the most polite person I’ve ever met. She’s very gracious and warm, and I met her both before “Room” and after she won the Oscar. She didn’t change a bit.

Patricia Clarkson is the perfect mix of Southern Belle and hip New Yorker, bringing the best qualities of both.

And the most surprising one? Russell Crowe came across as a genial, middle-aged dad. He might have been a terror in the primer his career, but when I met him a few years back, he was mellow, laid-back and funny.

by Anonymousreply 34April 24, 2018 3:59 AM

Mary Martin: friendly and nice, but very much aware she was major Broadway star.

by Anonymousreply 35April 24, 2018 5:52 AM

Sat next to Jennifer Tilley at a bar on 8th and 46th in NY a decade ago. She was very pleasant. I'm a Woody Allen fan, so we talked about "Bullets Over Broadway."

by Anonymousreply 36April 24, 2018 6:18 AM

Jeannine Garaffalo in a liquor store in Hollywood. I was on my way to a party and needed to run in to buy a bottle of wine. It was about a year after The Truth About Cats and Dogs, (which I loved), so before she self-destructed. She was dressed very casually and was with this rocker-looking guy I assumed was her boyfriend. I recognized her instantly. I had to intention of approaching her or invading her privacy. But just for a second, she turned towards me and our eyes locked. Without even thinking, I mouthed, "I love you". A huge blushing grin overtook her face. "Thank you" she mouthed back with a glint in her eye as her bf grabbed her hand and led her out.

by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2018 6:46 AM

Mink Stole. I met her a few times at parties with film and theatre people. I didn't bother her with a single question about John Waters films. She seemed to appreciate that. People chatted and ate, drank. No fan fawning. Most celebs I've met like that.

by Anonymousreply 38April 24, 2018 6:58 AM

R38, that is one star I could not control myself around. I adore her!

by Anonymousreply 39April 24, 2018 7:47 AM

I met a rapper many years ago seated next to me on a plane (business class). He told me who he was and was astonished that I had never heard of him and didn't know anything about him. He looked angry and upset and didn't speak to me for the rest of the flight. So that was a pleasant encounter, for me.

by Anonymousreply 40April 24, 2018 8:13 AM

R7 what is your Sandy Dennis story?

by Anonymousreply 41April 24, 2018 11:04 AM

R40 do you remember his name?

by Anonymousreply 42April 24, 2018 11:30 AM

Dolly Parton in an elevator at the old Ambassador East in Chicago: as nice as could be. I was overwhelmed. All I could see was her boobs and the look on my face reflected into infinity in the mirrors that lined the walls. I said, "Hello, Miss Parton." She said, "Don't call me Miss Parton. Call me Dolly. Only people trying to sue me call me Miss Parton."

Ann Miller, sitting in front of me fiddling with her lighted compact re-doing her face all through the first act of "Dreamgirls." We walked up the aisle together and had champagne at intermission. Nice enough; told me her feet hurt.

Mel Brooks on a cross country flight. He kept me and the rest of the first class cabin in stitches for six hours.

Audra McDonald, years ago after a concert at Harvard's Memorial Hall. Friendly, engaged, seemed a little bit anxious that people were in awe of meeting her and worked to put them at ease.

Roy Scheider in the hot tub every morning for a week sharing his copy of the NY Times with with me at the Sunset Marquis in LA.

Barbara Cook after a concert where they'd screwed up our seats and made up for it with comped champagne and a trip backstage to meet her after the show. Such a warm, wonderful person in addition to her beautiful voice.

by Anonymousreply 43April 24, 2018 12:51 PM

[quote]Ann Miller, sitting in front of me fiddling with her lighted compact re-doing her face all through the first act of "Dreamgirls."

How did you keep yourself from killing her?

by Anonymousreply 44April 24, 2018 1:10 PM

R13 , can you say more ab emily blunt please? I thought she was supposed to be very nice. English manners and all...

by Anonymousreply 45April 24, 2018 1:20 PM

R42, it was something African, so no.

by Anonymousreply 46April 24, 2018 1:27 PM

Cher - many years ago when she was on Broadway in Altman's "Come Back to the 5 and Dime Jimmy Dean..."

The fire alarm went off so the entire theater had to empty out into the street. I looked up and Cher was right next to me. She was very sweet, friendly and down-to-earth chatting with me and a few others. Until some security person whisked her away to a safer location.

by Anonymousreply 47April 24, 2018 3:48 PM

Charlize Theron was mean to me when i approached her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 24, 2018 4:14 PM

Gwyneth Paltrow is always gracious to her many inferiors--and you know, there are so many of them!

by Anonymousreply 49April 24, 2018 4:19 PM

R44

It was distracting but hey, it was also Ann Miller. She was about to open down the street in "Sugar Babies" on the national tour.

It's worse today now that everyone has something that lights up to look at besides the show. Thirty five years ago it was rare.

by Anonymousreply 50April 24, 2018 4:24 PM

I was walking across a hotel parking lot when I noticed John Denver with a few of his people also walking. I said "John, I love your work!" He was so warm and happy and said "Thank you!" with a big wave.

by Anonymousreply 51April 24, 2018 5:39 PM

Add these two to the "most polite people I've ever met:" R34

Garry Trudeau who was with Robert Altman researching a television show about a lusty computer named Hot Lips. Altman was nice, but Garry Trudeau was so kind and deferential to Altman, and he signed each of my partner's 34 volumes of Trudeau cartoon books.

Even nicer, and we know him better, is Michael Stuhlbarg: father of TimO'Tay in Call Me By Your Name. He is a wonderful actor and is so polite and kind.

by Anonymousreply 52April 24, 2018 5:58 PM

When smoking was allowed in restaurants. I was a busboy and lit Audrey Hepburn's cigarette she grasped my hand and said "thank you darling". When she left she smiled and waved at me. Beautiful woman.

by Anonymousreply 53April 24, 2018 6:26 PM

Back in the early 80's at a matinee of 42nd in NYC. James Mason was there with Clarissa, and at he intermission I told him how much I liked him in "Five Fingers." He held my arm and was most appreciative.

by Anonymousreply 54April 24, 2018 6:32 PM

As a kid my dad was on a class trip to the UN and he said he met Ginger Rogers and how she introduced herself to the small group of students, but when a girl in the group went over and asked for her autograph she was told no.

My dad also met Stallone when Rocky was being filmed in Philadelphia and said how Stallone was polite and at the time not full of himself.

I have met Tony Danza and he was polite and nice. Jim Breuer was also nice, and funny.

by Anonymousreply 55April 24, 2018 6:36 PM

Linda Evans. Waited on her in a dress shop in L.A. Could not have been nicer.

by Anonymousreply 56April 24, 2018 6:39 PM

I've met Trump a few times over the past 25 years, before he entered politics. He's a close talker. He didn't say anything interesting though.

Venus Williams is surprisingly shy. She is very beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 57April 24, 2018 6:45 PM

Yes R18 so many other gays are always jealous of you.

by Anonymousreply 58April 24, 2018 6:53 PM

Blythe Danner. Vanessa Redgrave. Both most engaging women! Dinner parties. Jessie Tyler Ferguson, walking High Line with mother and aunt. I nodded, "like your work." They all smiled broadly.

by Anonymousreply 59April 24, 2018 7:03 PM

I had a nice encounter with Robert Downey Jr. when he was on the downward slope, at the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood, just a bit before he was kicked out for not being able to pay his bill.

We were going to see Bob Dylan at the El Rey or was it UCLA, and were excited. When I see celebrities I act like I don't recognize them but I'm friendly. I blurted out, "Are you going to see Bob?" and he said, well, yes, I'm going to watch a movie at my friend Bob's house. So I said, Bob Dylan, and we laughed, and he said he wished he could go.

Molly Ringwald was there, too, and looked uptight as I went to pet her Pomeranian puppy she was holding in a basket. I just said, Oh, I miss my puppies so much. Your's is darling. and she looked relieved.

by Anonymousreply 60April 24, 2018 7:16 PM

—In the early '70s I was the male lead in a dinner theater melodrama ("The Drunkard") at the Timbers Restaurant in Goleta, just outside Santa Barbara, CA. In the smallish audience (40-80?) I noticed a stunningly beautiful older woman. After the play, she came backstage to talk to the actors. She was Ann Miller—who I had never heard of. She kissed me (as friends do) and we had a great talk. Now, of course, I know who she is.

—When I became a police officer, I stopped a middle-aged Ford Country Squire station wagon for a taillight violation and expired registration. The owner/driver was Stuart Whitman. He couldn't have been genuinely nicer and more cooperative. Accordingly, I let him off with a warning.

—Jack Webb gave me a set cufflinks bearing the US Vice Presidential seal that had been given to him by then-VP Hubert Humphrey. Don't ask. And no, there was nothing remotely sexually involved. Sgt. Friday didn't swing that way.

by Anonymousreply 61April 24, 2018 8:15 PM

Bryan Batt in a theater rehearsal. Just started chatting with me about what was going on onstage (and backstage) like we'd known each other a long time.

Others have told me that his husband is a real piece of work, however.

by Anonymousreply 62April 24, 2018 9:05 PM

Cam Neely - played hockey for the Boston Bruins. I was in a line at Dunkin Donuts to get a coffee. I dropped my wallet and he picked it up and handed it to me. Then he looked at me and said you look like a guy from where I live that I see at the July 4th parade. I laughed and told him we were indeed at the same town parade. Thereafter, he always said hi when he saw me at that event.

by Anonymousreply 63April 25, 2018 1:35 AM

Thanks r60. What's the details of your RDJ story? Nice to hear he can sometimes be decent when not doing his obnoxious ass schtick on camera.

by Anonymousreply 64April 25, 2018 1:42 AM

I've met Trump too R57 as well as the whole family over the years here in NY. I hate to say it but they were all very nice. I'll leave it at that.

by Anonymousreply 65April 25, 2018 1:47 AM

R65 I have a friend trapped in the white house since Obama's time (doing a fellowship she can't leave) who says ivanks and djt are very kind and warm, if totally stupid, when the cameras are off.

by Anonymousreply 66April 25, 2018 1:59 AM

I know hated here but I met Tom Cruise twice and he was very nice and made an effort to say hello to everyone present.

Interviewed Joan Jett and Michael J Fox during the press junket for Light of Day. Both very fun and invited me to an after party where they both rocked out.

Beers with Sheryl Crow when she was still doing small clubs. Lots of fun, loves to party. Told her I'd marry her if I was straight she said that's a good idea for a song.

by Anonymousreply 67April 25, 2018 2:27 AM

JLo. It was at Pick up Stix in Studio City. She was with her sister and Casper Smart. I didn't recognize her at first because she looked like a young teenager who was overly dressed up. There was a latino family eating that noticed her ordering, and my husband confirmed it was her. It just seemed strange because Pick up Stix is a fast food Asian restaurant, similar to Panda Express. And she didn't look like I expected her to look. She looked very, very young. We wanted to ask for a photo, but didn't want to be annoying - plus when you live in LA you see celebs all the time. But it was Jennifer Lopez. The Latino family asked her for a photo, and so we waited a bit and asked for a photo. She was very sweet and we chatted a little about her experience filming Selena and how it changed her life. They got their food and left. My husband and I, and the Latino family bonded. We were the only ones in the whole restaurant. The staff had no idea it was her and couldn't believe it when we told them.

by Anonymousreply 68April 25, 2018 3:11 AM

[quote] Both very fun and invited me to an after party where they both rocked out.

In the case of Michael J. Fox “rocking out” was just spasms from early onset Parkinson’s.

by Anonymousreply 69April 25, 2018 4:52 AM

I met Lin Shaye in a Nashville Marriott lobby and she was lovely. This was three years ago so she was about 70-ish and her skin looked incredible.

by Anonymousreply 70April 25, 2018 5:02 AM

I want to hear from r13 about Emily Blunt being a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 71April 25, 2018 5:04 AM

Years ago, I got to go backstage at a Go-Go's concert, along with some other fans. I held back and let the other fans go up to them first. The other ladies were fine, but Belinda Carlisle was being kind of quiet and standoffish. I'm not sure what it was about me, but she turned it on for me and was warm, friendly, talkative. I am pretty sure she's nuts, but I've always loved her and I was thrilled.

by Anonymousreply 72April 25, 2018 5:26 AM

Kyle Dean Massey! I saw him in 'Wicked' and 'Pippin,' but only met him after one of his Below54 cabaret shows. He's so hot and short, and took compliments easily. We stood at the 'step and repeat' photo op area with a friend, and he put his arm behind me, I placed my arm gingerly on his back (he'd removed his jacket) and it was very warm with a light coating of sweat. I got a chubby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 25, 2018 5:30 AM

Unfortunately, I can confirm Tom Cruise was unaffected and friendly. He bought shakes for his kids in Double Bay, Sydney, when filming MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 2. He had amazing hair and was deeply charismatic. When he smiled, people would melt.

Nicole Kidman came in at other times and was awkward and chilly. She would skulk in the corner with black sunglasses as her neurotic assistant would order her coffee. She was very slim and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 74April 25, 2018 9:18 AM

R68=Jlo

by Anonymousreply 75April 25, 2018 9:21 AM

R66, how's it hangin, djt?

by Anonymousreply 76April 25, 2018 9:49 AM

[quote][R13] , can you say more ab emily blunt please? I thought she was supposed to be very nice. English manners and all...

I'm not R13, but there have been stories about Blunt being cunt. When The Office was on, there were stories that Blunt hated being around Krasinki's co-stars from that show at awards events. I do recall someone on reddit claiming that they worked on The Office and that Krasinki and Jenna Fischer weren't very nice on set. I always thought there was something phony and bitchy about Fischer.

by Anonymousreply 77April 28, 2018 4:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!