Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Should we start talking about the tomorrow's State dinner for France?

In a break with tradition, Trump has shunned all Democrats and the WH has gone into Melania PR overdrive. So OTT trying to prove her worth.

First Lady takes charge

So confident was Trump about her ability to handle something like a state dinner, with its myriad details, that the first lady would not hire an event planner to help, as previous first ladies have done in the past to manage the grandeur and spectacle.

For example, the final state dinner of the Obama administration, its 14th, was a tented affair for former Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, held on the South Lawn of the White House for 400 guests. Michelle Obama wore a custom, chainmail Atelier Versace gown; Mario Batali cooked, and Gwen Stefani entertained.

For the Trump administration's first state dinner, there will be none of that. There will also be none of the paparazzi element that has come with past state dinners; celebrity supporters of the President are harder to come by than they were for Obama.

"A smaller, more elegant event allows a guest to have a more personal experience, and that is very important to Mrs. Trump," said Grisham, who confirmed the dinner will take place in the State Dining Room, which can hold about 100-150 seated guests.

"[The first lady] has a background in design, which played a major role in the décor throughout the State floor," Grisham adds of Trump's hands-on approach. "She has been very focused on the experience of the guests, and wants to ensure they are able to truly enjoy and remember the occasion. When you are invited to a dinner at the White House, it is very special to be able to sit in the State Dining Room. After all, this is the People's house, which is rich with history and tradition."

Current White House social secretary Rickie Niceta told CNN that Trump was aware the selection of the State Dining Room would limit the number of invitations, which could fuel criticism, but Trump "held firm" to the idea." Niceta added that part of her job on behalf of the first lady is to make sure guests "feel special and welcome from the moment they arrived to how they will be bid 'goodnight."

One person who didn't give input on the night is the President.

"The President has been busy with his schedule. The first lady took all preparations for the state dinner under her own wing," said Grisham.

Mrs. Trump has also been doing some homework, educating herself about the protocol and history of these sorts of White House events. This is to ensure her selections for the Macrons' visit have meaning behind them, down to the china, flowers, color scheme and menu, which, while American, will highlight the influence France has had on American cuisine.

"Mrs. Trump selected every item and every detail for the dinner, from the entrée to the chair cushions," said Niceta.

It's an indicator that the first lady, who moved to Washington full time only last June, seems to have gotten the hang of running an operation as massive as the White House.

"She has a solid grasp on all of her roles, which include mother, wife and first lady of the United States, both public-facing with events and engagements and behind-the-scenes with the renovations and preservation efforts at the White House," Grisham said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 24, 2018 2:33 PM

Oh good god. Someone was really feeling themselves when they wrote this piece of PR crap. Yes, we all know all about Melania's past. There are pictures just a google search away.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2018 4:10 PM

The whore is hosting the DONALD DUMP asshole licking Emmanuel Macron? Oh, joy.

It sounds like an event planned in hell.

They can all have each other. Fucking Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2018 4:12 PM

The deep fat fryers at Mc Donald’s are going to be busy that night.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2018 4:13 PM

Will Melania meet with Barney Thompson prior to the dinner to learn which fork to use for which course? Let's hope they don't serve escargot, everyone knows how slippery those little suckers can be.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2018 4:14 PM

[quote] Will Melania meet with Barney Thompson prior to the dinner

Absolutely! Complete with crumpled dollar bills in hand.

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2018 4:16 PM

Tonight the Trumps will host them at a private dinner at Mt Vernon, the home of George Washington. Which is on the shores of the Potomac in Alexandria, VA. When in France the Trumps were taken for their private dinner to the Eiffel Tower. I actually think this is a cool idea, but I don't remember any of the rooms there are very big. Not sure how food would be prepared either. I guess a catering tent outside. But anyway, I don't think this has been done before. And I actually hand it to Melania or whoever thought of it.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2018 4:20 PM

Ted Nugent must have been booked at the Cowley County State Fair that night.

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2018 4:26 PM

Agreed, r3. The poor guy on standby for Trump's 'freedom fries' is going to need several showers and a few auto detailing appointments.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2018 4:27 PM

Who decides on the guest list? And more importantly, how much is she charging per customer?

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2018 4:28 PM

No Democrats, no media invited. Looks so small and petty but not surprising.

They usually put out the list of invitees. And CSpan usually covers the arrivals showing up on the red carpet and being announced.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2018 4:32 PM

Trump wine.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2018 4:44 PM

She has a pretty smile that was on more display recently among civilized former Presidents and their wives at the memorial service of Barbara Bush. I really do get the impression she is not comfortable in her husband's company- kind of like Diana and Charles some time ago.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2018 4:44 PM

Trump Vodka eez good, no?

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2018 4:45 PM

Hillary will be at home eating freedom fries.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2018 4:48 PM

Pourquoi pas les deux, Boris?

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2018 4:49 PM

I will say I'm glad they are sticking to only 150 or so in the State Dining Room. I have hated the trend of holding state dinners in tents. I don't care how nice the tent is, it is still a fucking tent and it is tacky for a state dinner.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2018 4:53 PM

R16 it's also cheaper. No tent hire and 250 less mouths to feed.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2018 4:57 PM

[r6] There was an absolutely fabulous State Dinner held at Mt, Vernon in 1961!

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2018 5:08 PM

R18 Ahhh. Thanks for that. Melania using Jackie ideas again. Was it a State Dinner or a private dinner in 1961?

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2018 5:19 PM

^It was a dinner for the Preaident of Pakistan.

Maybe Melania will keep copying Jackie and wear a pink suit and matching pillbox hat.

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2018 5:24 PM

About the 1961 state dinner at Mount Vernon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2018 5:25 PM

[quote]No Democrats, no media invited.

The White House is transforming itself into the real "deep state" with every passing day.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2018 11:43 PM

Melania only needs 10 staff and no event coordinator unlike michael!

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2018 11:44 PM

[quote]Not sure how food would be prepared either.

In the detached slave kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2018 11:55 PM

She's like, Fuck it. I'm a ho so what. I'm gonna enjoy myself.

by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2018 12:00 AM

And because it's such a momentous occasion, everyone gets two scoops of ice cream!

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2018 12:22 AM

Wouldn't it be perfect if Melania's pink suit was covered in her dead husband's blood R20?

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2018 12:25 AM

I wonder if Trump is trying to invite Macron back to the place after dinner for hookers and blow?

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2018 1:56 AM

[quote] No Democrats, no media invited

I can't wait for the leaked video of any and all INAPPROPRIATE gestures and comments that will be made at this Klan Rally.

You just know it's coming.

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2018 2:01 AM

[quote] No Democrats, no media invited

I can't wait for the leaked video of any and all INAPPROPRIATE gestures and comments that will be made at this Klan Rally.

You just know it's coming.

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2018 2:01 AM

R27 wins this thread!

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2018 2:01 AM

The Trump’s should be shunned.

by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2018 2:05 AM

The Dems should host their own dinner for Macron.

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2018 2:07 AM

[quote] The Dems should host their own dinner for Macron

Forget it. Macron is a Deplorable DUMP supporter.

Let him eat cake. We don't want him.

We'll take Justin Trudeau any day, over TrumpCron.

by Anonymousreply 34April 24, 2018 2:25 AM

"Mt Vernon is a dump!"... Merde L'orange

by Anonymousreply 35April 24, 2018 2:25 AM

Macron will address Congress on Wednesday, so he’ll see some real live Democrats then.

R34 needs to educate herself if she thinks Macron is in the same league as Trump.

by Anonymousreply 36April 24, 2018 2:28 AM

Professional Francophobe John Bolton has been advising Trump about this trip. Bolton whose firm produce all sorts of hateful misinformation about Europe and its leaders. The firm he just left three weeks ago. Macron is well aware of how Trump et al. view him. Don't think he's going to be a stooge and go along. He's no Marine Le Pen.

Did you catch the awkward handshake wrestling that went on for an eternity? Trump even sucked his wife into a three way hand hold and he would not let go. Neither would Macron. Melania stood by to the side. I can only imagine what was going through her head.

by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2018 2:44 AM

I think it is hilarious that someone said holding it at Mt. Vernon and not in a tent would be "cheaper", as if these disgusting pigs ever think of economy.

by Anonymousreply 38April 24, 2018 2:49 AM

Trump would hold a state dinner at Mar a Lago if he could because it would be a financial windfall for him (more so than the usual self-dealing he does when he takes his frequent trips down there) and at even greater expense to the taxpayers.

by Anonymousreply 39April 24, 2018 2:51 AM

No R36, educate YOURself. Everyone in the media knows that Macron just adores DUMP.

"Macron on 'special' relationship with Trump: We are both 'mavericks'"

French President Emmanuel Macron in an interview on Sunday described his "special" relationship with President Trump, saying they are both "mavericks."

"We have this very special relationship because the both of us are probably the mavericks of the system," Macron told Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday."

"I think President Trump's election was unexpected in your country, and probably my election was unexpected in my country. We are not part of the classical political system," he added.

"I think we are very much aligned on some of the very critical issues of the world, especially countering terrorism and fighting [the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria]," he said.

"I think we have a very strong, personal relation based on the different meetings we had, especially such as your president gave to my country for Bastille Day in 2017."

Macron's comments come ahead of his visit to Washington, D.C., this week, which will mark the first state visit of the Trump administration.

The French leader also said in his interview with Wallace that he never wonders if Trump will serve a full term as president.

“I never wonder that. I mean, I work with him — I work with him because both of us are very much at the service of our country on both sides," Macron said.

"Here, in this office, I’m not the one to judge and in certain way, to explain to your people what should be your president," he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 24, 2018 2:54 AM

Oh yeah, this has nothing to do with stroking Trump's ego to butter him up and play him in some way. Trump's chubby is going to last for the entire trip and he'll get bamboozled somehow.

[quote]"We have this very special relationship because the both of us are probably the mavericks of the system," Macron told Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday."

[quote]"I think President Trump's election was unexpected in your country, and probably my election was unexpected in my country. We are not part of the classical political system," he added.

by Anonymousreply 41April 24, 2018 2:59 AM

Here is the menu....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 24, 2018 3:00 AM

So who IS going to be at the state dinner? Usually there are actors, writers, entertainers, maybe a scientist or a historian, people who have some connection to the country being honored, plus someone to perform. But this must be like the inauguration - who wants to attend an event with Trump? My guess is that all the guests are Republican politicians.

by Anonymousreply 43April 24, 2018 3:09 AM

France would have been better off with Le Pen.

by Anonymousreply 44April 24, 2018 3:13 AM

Macron is just priming the pump, just like the Saudis, the Chinese, the Japanese, the Koreans, and even Macron himself, did earlier.

They all come and kiss his feet and he then loosens his rhetoric for a week of two until the dementia kicks in and he forgets that he’s ever met any of them.

by Anonymousreply 45April 24, 2018 3:30 AM

the theme sounds tacky and the menu reads as uninspired

by Anonymousreply 46April 24, 2018 3:34 AM

The cream and gold color scheme is the very same thing they have all over their residence in Trump Tower. I can only hope it won't be as tacky.

by Anonymousreply 47April 24, 2018 4:01 AM

Macron wants continued USA militarization in Syria stating 'human rights violations', a topic Drumpf's adminstration doesn't care about. Remember, 'our' States Department was scrubbing 'human rights violation' from requirements when dealing with some of the most abhorrent perps, Saudi Arabia, Philippines, Ukraine, Poland, etc. It was removed from negotiations, or not addressed at all via any communications, just like scrubbing climate change from EPA, NASA and Interior. They only care about the money and potential arms deals. Humanity, not so much.

Now Drumpf would LOVE a war distraction from all the crap. But he is walking a fine line with his base. Remember, no more wars in his campaign? Did you see the Alex Jones, 'he's crapping all over us' rant? Then we even learn, Drumpf's pre-strike tweets and possible Putin back door coordination allowed for Syria to get everything, and everyone moved. No reported casualties from such a coordinated Britain, France USA military strike coalition? Nothing accomplished.

Now we have Iran joining allegiance with Syria and others, while Drumpf is in the playground on the teeter-totter with Boltan over the Iran nuclear deal.

Yep, only he alone can fix it. By starting a middle East war, that will never end. WW3.

And less we forget, Putin is in the ears of Kim Jong. Who knows what plot they are going to pull off during the North Korea Summit. Putin knows Drumpf is gullible to almost anything. North Korea just wants added stature in the international community. Drumpf is rolling out the red carpet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 24, 2018 4:09 AM

R40 takes everything at face value. She must get taken for rides nonstop. Btw, Fox and the Hill are shit sources.

I’m glad to see so many more savvy posters.

by Anonymousreply 49April 24, 2018 2:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!