Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Berkeley Cafe closes after Starbucks incident

The domino effect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2018 3:27 PM

I can't keep up.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2018 1:28 AM

When will the tears stop?

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2018 1:29 AM

Rumour has it that their menu is riddled with punctuation errors. I know, it’s horrible! J'accusé, Berkeley Café! Not to minimize the issue in the OP, but still!

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2018 1:34 AM

Wonder how many people lost their jobs?

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2018 1:39 AM

So, over three years ago, an employee incorrectly accused a somewhat famous black comedian of harassing a group of white customers (one of whom was the comedian's actual wife.)

The employee stated that she/he didn't think it "was a race thing." However, a town hall of sorts was held and the cafe's owner promised there would be sensitivity training, but the website where the results of the training should have been posted was empty.

Are we to draw the conclusion that the cafe owner, having been busted in a lie for not actually giving his workers sensitivity training, decided to just go out of business rather than face the music in light of the Starbucks story?

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2018 1:47 AM

[quote] Wonder how many people lost their jobs?

Don't feel too badly for them. Now they will have time to work on their poetry and manifestos.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2018 1:48 AM

How did it take three years to find this out? No one noticed?

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2018 1:54 AM

Oh, fuck this sensitivity training nonsense. It's a fucking coffee shop, not an SJW Tears for Queers Center.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2018 1:58 AM

"Baristas" have always been touted as slightly more educated than burger flippers and deserving of a bit more money than the minimum wage.

How is it that McDonalds, Walmart, KFC, etc don't need to send their employees to "don't be a racist" training classes?

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2018 2:16 AM

Because it's more acceptable to loiter in those places unlike the hoity-toity Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2018 2:20 AM

It has never occurred to me to sit without ordering. I’m a white guy and never knew you could just sit. Besides, I think it’s rude if the place is full, to paying customers. Is it not, in this instance?

There is a place I like with two tables. Some ass brought the Sunday NY Times and sat for two hours having bought only a single cup of coffee, a while ago. I hope he tipped really well.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2018 3:22 AM

What "results of the training" were you expecting to be posted?

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2018 2:00 PM

R11, the black guys who were kicked out of the Starbucks were waiting for their friend to arrive before ordering.

How many times have you done this in a restaurant. I'm guessing TONS.

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2018 2:36 PM

Once the news got out, there's no way this cafe would have survived in Berkeley.

Funny how people SUDDENLY care about the jobs that were lost. If the owner gave a shit, it wouldn't have harrassed black people

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2018 2:37 PM

Most restaurants I go to don't seat you ahead of the rest of your party, r13.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2018 2:37 PM

I was at a starbucks this weekend and watch a beach bummy looking couple of blondes sit and use the wifi for their phone while drinking water.

No one said a word to them.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2018 3:11 PM

No one's going to say a word to them now, R16.

I don't go sit in any establishment without ordering something, but I'm always paranoid about being even minorly accosted. Even if you take awhile to decide what you want to drink at a restaurant ("Would you come back in a few minutes after I take a look at the drink menu?") the servers can get a little passive aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2018 3:19 PM

If the sum total of your political power is that you can bully a coffee shop, you're an utter failure as a political activist. Really, kids. Aim higher.

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2018 3:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!