Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New study analyzes "heterosexual" students who hook up with the same sex

Summary of the findings:

- Of students who hooked up, 7% of men and 3% of women had their last hook up with someone of the same sex. Of these groups, 12% of men and 25% of women identify as straight.

- These "straight" students are more conservative, and have more religious backgrounds, than students identifying as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or unsure who hooked up with the same sex.

- Straight men who hooked up with men are more likely to belong to a fraternity than the other men in the study (18% v. 8%). There are no differences in sorority membership between straight women who hooked up with the same sex and the other women who did so (4% for both). So, fraternity membership facilitates same-sex encounters for straight men in a way that sorority membership does not for straight women.

- Contrary to expectations, straight men who hook up with men usually know their partner about as well as respondents in other identity categories, so "down low" encounters are not disproportionately anonymous.

- Genital contact (ie, anal, vaginal, oral, and hand sex) happened in 71% of the same-sex hookups involving straight male respondents and 51% of those involving straight women. For non-straight men, the number was 93%, and for non-straight women 72%.

- About a fifth of same-sex encounters involving straight respondents may have been just for show. All such encounters involve straight women and a disproportionate number belonged to the youngest age category (18). These encounters are seen as having been for show because almost each one of them took place in a public setting in plain sight, and involved a high levels of drunkenness. Almost none included genital contact (ie, limited to kissing and grabbing boobs and butts), and such hookups were the least likely not to be accompanied by a desire for a repeat or to get in a relationship with the other person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 25, 2018 8:04 PM

Self reported *yawn*

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2018 9:45 PM

r1 has got to be the dumbest person in the world. How else do you think you can study human sexual behavior? Installing cameras inside people's bedrooms?

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2018 9:47 PM

The one fifth of same sex "encounters" where two drunk straight girls make out in front of boys shouldn't even be counted because that is solely for attention and has nothing to do with sexual desire (for each other).

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2018 9:56 PM

By implanting devices into their cocks and measuring arousal, R2. Self-reporting is just deceit for many.

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2018 9:56 PM

Why do you bring this to us, human excrescence that calls itself OP?

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2018 9:56 PM

The tiny elephant in the living room is the extremely small number of people who claim to be str8 while having gay sex.

12% of 7% is about 84 in 10000 people, or 8 in 1000.

A tiny, tiny number of guys who are MSM claim to be str8, according to this poll.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2018 10:07 PM

[quote]By implanting devices into their cocks and measuring arousal, [R2]. Self-reporting is just deceit for many.

Derp.

"Implanting devices into their cocks" is not how any sex study is performed, and doing so would say nothing about those men's hook ups, only their arousal patterns. To study sexual behavior in the real world (and not just physiological arousal in the lab), you need to ask people. There's no other way, since unlike other animals, humans seldom have sex in public.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2018 10:11 PM

When I was in college, way more than 7% of the guys I hooked up with claimed to be straight.

It's called "self denial" and "being in the closet" (Though some may have legitimately been bi.)

I suspect that type of guy would not answer the survey in OP truthfully anyway for fear that the anonymous survey wasn't quite so anonymous after all.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2018 10:15 PM

I have two words: Closet Case

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2018 10:19 PM

There was another interesting subgroup in this study which I failed to report in the OP. Here's a quote from the paper:

[quote]The final class (“just not who I can be”), the smallest class, which was almost all male, were those who had strong views against homosexuality, which has been termed “internalized heterosexism.”

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2018 10:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2018 10:22 PM

R 7 is blocked. Closet apologist. Done with him.

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2018 10:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2018 10:48 PM

[quote] [R1] has got to be the dumbest person in the world. How else do you think you can study human sexual behavior? Installing cameras inside people's bedrooms?

Why are you all looking at me?

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2018 6:33 AM

How many times do we have to revisit this topic. Too many studies have found that men (straight or gay) engage in same sex foreplay/ sex/attraction. It's called Testosterone, man react to the release of male hormones. It is the reason why when men get closer, they start having feelings of sexual attraction towards the same sex, to various degrees.

[quote]"Progesterone is a hormone that appears in both males and females and contributes to the formation of social bonds. Researchers found that when hetero guys are reminded of the importance of forging male friendships, they report an increased willingness to engage in sexual behavior with other guys. "

[quote] "The levels of progesterone were measured in the saliva of 59 males. Then, each men was randomly assigned to one of three groups and asked to complete word puzzles: one using friendship words, one using sexual words, and a third using neutral words."

[quote]"Afterwards, men who were asked to complete the friendship word puzzle showed 26 percent greater homoerotic motivation than men given the sexual or neutral puzzles. Moreover, men with the highest progesterone levels who were given the friendship puzzle showed 41 percent greater homoerotic motivation compared to men with the highest progesterone levels in the other two groups."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2018 6:51 PM

This reminds me of the infamous Reddit thread about weed making straight guys feel gay. I mean, alcohol makes people lose their inhibitions, I don't see why it cannot be applied to weed as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2018 4:29 AM

Weed made me more interested in sex with guys back when I wasn't having much sex with guys. Eventually I got fully converted and I don't need MJ anymore to fuck guys.

by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2018 7:41 PM

r17 So you were 'straight' at first?

by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2018 7:43 PM

Straight-ish. But willing. Got more experienced with time. When I found the DataLounge I stuck around because it's sometimes funny, and because I learned all the gay stuff I never knew about.

by Anonymousreply 19April 25, 2018 7:59 PM

r19 Do you still go out with women?

by Anonymousreply 20April 25, 2018 8:00 PM

"Straight men who hooked up with men are more likely to belong to a fraternity than the other men in the study"

"No shit" said everyone who was ever in a fraternity

by Anonymousreply 21April 25, 2018 8:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!