Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joan Bennett Appreciation Thread.

She made movies during Hollywood's Golden Era and endured a scandal concerning her husband which nearly wiped out her career.

She found her second wind in the mid 1960's as the star of the famous gothic-horror soap opera, Dark Shadows, which revived interest in her.

She passed away in 1990 at the age of 80. What are your thoughts on Joan Bennett?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 11, 2018 2:06 AM

With Edward G. Robinson in Scarlet Street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2018 4:41 AM

As the regal, beautiful Elizabeth Stoddard on Dark Shadows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2018 4:43 AM

A photo publicity still for Dark Shadows in TV Guide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2018 4:45 AM

Doesn't her grandson post here?

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2018 4:45 AM

Older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2018 4:48 AM

Morton Downey Jr is her nephew.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2018 4:50 AM

In the horror/suspense thriller Suspiria, from 1977, her last big screen movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2018 4:52 AM

She should have eaten the pineapple.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2018 4:52 AM

I love her flubs on Dark Shadows.

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2018 4:53 AM

I once knew a sassy little miss — ingrate to the bone! — who, if I knew then what I know now, would have been given a pedestrian name like Joan Bennett.

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2018 4:54 AM

A usual pose from Dark Shadows. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2018 4:56 AM

The Bennett Sisters: Joan and Constance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2018 4:56 AM

The only interest I have in this woman is she had a husband with the ugly surname of 'Wayne-Jer'. **** So I've just been to the net and it told me that it was originally 'Feuchtwanger'*** But it's still ugly anyway.

But at least he mitigated Joan's Bennet's dreary presence in two movies with the gorgeous Michael Redgrave in '47 and classy James Mason in '49.

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2018 4:58 AM

The scandal. Hubby shot her agent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2018 5:01 AM

Like most starlets back in the day she started out as a blond.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2018 5:03 AM

She stole my look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2018 5:05 AM

With Paul Lynde, of all people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2018 5:10 AM

Joan, looking like Hedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2018 5:10 AM

I still think that Patsy killed her.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2018 5:13 AM

I believe that she actually went brunette for film in the movie "Trade Winds." Her character, a blonde, is on the lam, and to disguise herself gets her hair darkened. The reveal shows her, as she gazes in the salon mirror, to be Hedy Lamarr's second cousin.

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2018 5:17 AM

I love Scarlett Street, R1. An under appreciated film--she was so lovely in it, and loved the plot.

Just 5 years later she was playing Liz Taylor's Mom in Father Of The Bride.

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2018 5:19 AM

As Naomi Collins from the famous 1795 time period of Dark Shadows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2018 5:23 AM

R21 Great gif from Scarlet Street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2018 5:25 AM

She was pretty upper class. He daughter Shelly is married to one of the Harrimans. Pamela Harriman married their Grandfather Averill who's money financed her Ambassadorship to France.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2018 5:27 AM

I think she was substantially more likeable than brittle Connie. In "The Reckless Moment" she's very touching opposite James Mason. That movie was remade as "The Deep End," with Tilda Swinton, and a gay son, rather than a straight daughter.

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2018 5:29 AM

[quote]Doesn't her grandson post here?

"Joan's Grandkid" is not very gender specific.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2018 5:30 AM

She was so fucking cool . If she were only to be remembered for "Scarlet Street" and "The Woman in the Window", that would be enough. But she also will remain loved for being so present, accessible, and kind to the fans of "Dark Shadows". She apparently also maintained warm relationships with her fellow cast members, and remembered them in her will. Lovely and gracious to the end.

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2018 6:02 AM

R5 and R22 made me go back and look at the older pictures. I realised she has faked her lipstick-line on her upper lip all those years.

You could get away with that kind of fakery in the old days.

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2018 6:19 AM

Very beautiful still for her age and fun to watch when she made mistakes saying her lines. RIP. Still love DS.

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2018 7:39 AM

Actress Constance Bennett was Joan's sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2018 6:19 PM

Madame X, with Lana Turner, was Constance Bennett's last movie. She died in 1965.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2018 6:22 PM

I love Scarlet Street.

It's one of the movies I always recommend when someone wants to start watching B&W movies.

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2018 6:24 PM

Lana and Constance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2018 6:24 PM

^ I'm confused.

So both sisters were blond and both went black?

by Anonymousreply 34April 22, 2018 6:27 PM

The thriller, Secret Beyond The Door.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 22, 2018 6:30 PM

House Of Dark Shadows. Joan is on the far right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 22, 2018 6:32 PM

The vampire and Joan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 22, 2018 6:34 PM

Constance Bennett was once one of Hollywood's biggest and most glamorous stars, and her popularity rivaled that of Norma Shearer's and Joan Crawford's. Sister Joan was relegated to lightweight, ingenue roles, until she transformed into a raven-haired femme fatale and was cast in film noir thrillers, several of which have turned out to be more enduring or better regarded than her sister's pictures.

Connie, however, was a delight in "Topper."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 22, 2018 6:55 PM

Did the Bennett sisters get along or were they like more like the De Haviland/Fontaine sisters?

by Anonymousreply 39April 22, 2018 7:05 PM

Another good Joan Bennett film is There's Always Tomorrow. Directed by Douglas Sirk and starring Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck. Fred is married to Joan, who is consumed by household and children activities and pays little attention to Fred. Then old girlfriend Stanwyck shows up and MacMurray contemplates leaving his wife and family. And like Sirk's All That Heaven Allows, the children in this movie are awful and self absorbed and don't give a shit about their dad.

by Anonymousreply 40April 22, 2018 7:14 PM

[quote]So both sisters were blond and both went black?

Once you go black ...

by Anonymousreply 41April 22, 2018 7:22 PM

I love her character in 1941's "Man Hunt" with Walter Pidgeon and George Sanders.

The two men are great here, but it is Joan's portrayal of the girl Jerry Stokes, trying to help Pidgeon elude the Nazis, that gives the film heart.

One of my favorites.

And, I love her as the Mother of the Bride in "Father of the Bride" from 1950. Particularly in the scene where, dressed for her daughter's wedding, she descents the staircase and her husband (Spencer Tracy) tells her how beautiful she is. (And she was, very.)

by Anonymousreply 42April 22, 2018 7:33 PM

There were three Bennett sisters--Constance, Barbara, and Joan. Their parents Richard Bennett and Adrienne Morrison were stage actors, with Richard dabbling in films from time to time. He is probably best remembered as Major Amberson in "The Magnificent Ambersons." He was also an alcoholic and the turmoil it cause the family influenced Constance to abstain from alcohol.

Connie, however, was vain, temperamental, anorexic (at a time when nobody knew what to call it), attention-seeking, and a lowdown husband-stealer. If she spotted a man she liked, she turned on the charms and seduced him, right in front of his wife. She was also a staunch Republican, loved money, and could be quite stingy with it. When her career had waned, she tried to maintain a lavish lifestyle by dipping into her son's trust fund. When that fund had depleted, her son threatened to sue unless she signed over her home to him. This, of course, caused a rift between them and they didn't speak to each other for years.

Joan was the bookish one and the caregiver. When dad was in one of his drunken periods, Joan would tend to him until recovery. Unlike Connie, Joan and husband Wanger were Democrats and supported a number of liberal causes, earning the wrath of arch-conservative Hedda Hopper, who published several unkind tidbits about Joan in her column. Joan responded by sending Hopper a live skunk with a note that read, "Won't you be my valentine? Nobody else will. I stink and so do you."

Middle sister Barbara was a dancer, who befriended a young Louise Brooks and took her under her wing. Never quite successful, she inherited her father's demons, succumbing to alcohol and possible mental illness. When Joan was looking after Barbara after one of her binges, an uncompassionate Connie told her, "Anyone with sense just needs to look at father and realize it was wise to abstain!" Barbara made several suicide attempts, and her death in 1958 at the age of 51, was, according to Brooks, her fifth and most successful attempt. She was the mother of talkshow host Morton Downey, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 43April 22, 2018 8:12 PM

I just discovered Fritz Lang's "Beyond the Secret Door" on YouTube- I had never heard of it and it is quite fabulous. Very dreamy/Freudian with clothes by Travis Banton and music by Miklos Rosza. One of the best things is Joan's voiceover. Her speaking voice is upper class mid-Atlantic with a nice slug of the Bronx. That kind of voice is gone forever.

by Anonymousreply 44April 22, 2018 8:48 PM

Does anyone else think that Joan during the Dark Shadows years favors the Lynda Carter of today?

by Anonymousreply 45April 22, 2018 10:55 PM

Despite all her movies and years in show business Joan Bennett will probably be remembered for the cult gothic soap opera Dark Shadows more than anything else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 22, 2018 11:23 PM

No, the Lang films.

by Anonymousreply 47April 22, 2018 11:59 PM

So regal and beautiful on Dark Shadows. And well dressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2018 12:32 AM

The Man In The Iron Mask. 1939.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2018 4:01 AM

Chewing gum and putting on cologne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2018 4:05 AM

Is she one of the many costars that Spencer Tracy sexually harassed?

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2018 4:14 AM

Brian Kellow wrote a good bio of them: "The Bennetts: An Acting Family. "

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2018 4:14 AM

Two more memorable classics:

She played Amy to Katharine Hepburn's Jo in the Cukor-directed version of Little Women. I thought she was better than Kate.

She played Elizabeth Taylor's mother and Spencer Tracy's wife in Father of the Bride. A thankless role, but she equipped herself quite well.

She was adept at comedy and drama. Much more talented than her sister Constance, who probably will be remembered as the bigger star, even though her career was much shorter than Joan's.

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2018 4:15 AM

R53, funny--Taylor, in blonde wig, played Amy in the saccharine remake with Allyson as Jo.

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2018 4:19 AM

R54 I remember, and I kinda prefer the remake. Beautiful technicolor, and June Allyson as Jo was not nearly as dykish as Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2018 4:34 AM

Jo is such an annoying character to begin with. Or maybe it's because the first version I saw was with Loadpants Allyson.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2018 4:45 AM

The remake does have the great, cello-voiced Mary Astor as Marmee. She also played Taylor's mother in the charming "Cynthia."

Joan Bennett is in the not-bad romance "I Met My Love Again," with Fonda. The devastatingly handsome Alan Marshal(l ) plays her first husband in that.

by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2018 5:29 AM

Joan published her memoirs in 1970, and wrote this about sister Constance:

[quote]"That beautiful sister of mine was an overwhelming and volatile mixture. One had the feeling that she'd been shot from a canon and showered her sparks over an incredulous world with no thought or care where they fell, a carbon copy of father. She was like some silvery comet who streaked through life with daring speed, the wellspring of which was an inner confidence that I deeply admired. At times, particularly in childhood, I was intimidated by her but she dictated from an aura of affection for me that was never threatening."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2018 5:29 AM

I love this glamour portrait of Joan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2018 5:30 AM

That's a beauty. Great pose, if a touch bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 60April 23, 2018 5:42 AM

Vaguely remember reading one of David Niven’s autobiographies years ago - and he raves about how beautiful and glamorous and ‘burnished’ all three of the Bennett sisters were. Could be wrong, but thought too he’d acyislly hung around at the Bennett family home on more that one occasion - and seemed a little in awe of all of them...?

Certenly gorgeous looking and probably capable of more given they really shone when they actually got a good role... r

by Anonymousreply 61April 23, 2018 6:07 AM

Interesting observation, R45 , because I always thought DS cast member Alexandra Moltke bore a passing resemblance to Lynda Carter. And early in the first days of Dark Shadows, the production team supposedly saw a resemblance between Joan and Alexandra; it is remembered that Joan mistook Alexandra for her own daughter one day when Joan wasn't wearing her glasses.

So, if Lynda looks a bit like Alexandra, and Alexandra looks a bit like Joan, Joan looks a bit like Lynda 😁

by Anonymousreply 62April 23, 2018 6:07 AM

I loved her throaty, hollow voice. Though it did make her seem older. In Suspira they dubbed her voice with a much more youthful sounding actress for the Italian version, and with her old-school mannerisms and excellent posture it seemed like the character was now in her 40s.

by Anonymousreply 63April 23, 2018 6:29 AM

I think Joan made her stage debut in a play with her father, called "Jarnegan," in the 20s. A tragedy in which her character dies. Joan had married at 16, had a baby at 17, divorced soon after. So she had a kid to support.

by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2018 6:51 AM

Barbara Bennet gave up show biz and got a job at Redbook as a reporter. She was great at incisive articles on movie stars who got it all -- career and family.

by Anonymousreply 65April 23, 2018 7:03 AM

Constance was cast as Lana's mother in law in Madame X, went and got a face lift and showed up on the set looking as young as Lana.

by Anonymousreply 66April 23, 2018 7:13 AM

Their second cousin was Bennett Cerf.

by Anonymousreply 67April 23, 2018 8:38 AM

R18 Joan and Hedy both were married briefly to Gene Markey. Joan had a daughter with Gene. Gene was also married Myrna Loy. Gene was known for being one of the best conversationalists in Hollywood and became an Admiral during WWII. He and his last wife owned Calumet farms of Kentucky Derby fame outside of Lexington. Gene was not particularly handsome or rich but he was known for attracting more beautiful women than anyone else in Hollywoood.

by Anonymousreply 68April 23, 2018 12:06 PM

R67, And Bennett was once briefly married to actress Sylvia Sidney.

by Anonymousreply 69April 23, 2018 1:18 PM

R36. That’s not Joan on the far right, that’s Grayson Hall.

by Anonymousreply 70April 23, 2018 2:04 PM

A VERY late career appearance.

(The actress with the curly red hair played a character who was mad about classic movies.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 23, 2018 2:09 PM

R70 Expand the photo and you'll see Joan on the far right.

by Anonymousreply 72April 23, 2018 2:56 PM

Joan clearly seems bored while the 2 men on DS talk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 25, 2018 3:04 PM

My thought is that she DIED in 1990 at the age of 80, not "passed away."

by Anonymousreply 74April 25, 2018 3:13 PM

She's fantastic in Fritz Lang's movies. She had a terrific personality.

by Anonymousreply 75April 25, 2018 3:16 PM

Is she related to Robert Downey, Jr. in some way??

by Anonymousreply 76April 25, 2018 3:16 PM

R35, I like Joan and Fritz Lang but that movie is horrible--a bunch of Freudian nonsense. Does Joan's character really need to spell out everything going on in her mind EVERY second?

by Anonymousreply 77April 25, 2018 3:18 PM

I hadn't thought of that R74. Can't you pass away into nothingness? or ashes or a rotting corpse? I don't think passing away into heaven - but maybe that's what's intended.

I don't think everyone who says "Goodbye" means "God be with ye" - but that's what it's from.

by Anonymousreply 78April 25, 2018 3:25 PM

R23 I think Debra Messing looks a lot like her, especially here.

by Anonymousreply 79April 25, 2018 3:42 PM

She and Robert Preston were great as a bickering couple on safari in "The Macomber Affair," based on a Hemingway story. Almost like early George and Martha.

by Anonymousreply 80April 25, 2018 3:52 PM

Joan Bennett and Alexandra Moltke on Dark Shadows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 25, 2018 8:01 PM

Autographed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 25, 2018 8:04 PM

R78, pass or pass away means pass into the "next life." The TV news and the newspapers always used the term DIED until recently. Somehow all of them have gotten religious. Same with the now common "amen" littered throughout the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 83April 26, 2018 2:24 AM

Joan Bennett had 4 children, all girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 26, 2018 3:36 AM

Toenails, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 26, 2018 3:39 AM

^^^from a film that could only have been directed by a German, Fritz Lang. Just realized how reminiscent it was of "The Blue Angel" (middle-aged intellectual brought down by his obsession with a tawdry tart).

by Anonymousreply 86April 26, 2018 4:02 AM

No mention of me hittin' the road in Auntie Mame?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 26, 2018 7:01 PM

If she'd married the American military hero Ramsey instead of all those nancy-fancy shitpots, she'd have been Joan Bennet Ramsey.

And "someone" could have helped her career end in a spectacular splash of media attention, instead of in sad oblivion.

Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 88April 26, 2018 7:07 PM

Connie and Lana...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 26, 2018 7:13 PM

Joan Bennett's acting career found its second wind in Dark Shadows, the gothic soap cult that will go on forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 26, 2018 8:46 PM

Really, r90?

by Anonymousreply 91April 26, 2018 8:48 PM

R90, I like her with long hair. Who's the broad on the left?

by Anonymousreply 92April 26, 2018 11:39 PM

R92 The girl with the long hair is Alexandra Moltke Isles who played the governess on the show. And to the left is Joan Bennett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 26, 2018 11:44 PM

R93 She was (almost) hanged as a witch in another time period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 27, 2018 12:12 AM

R87 The greatest Mame of all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 27, 2018 3:56 AM

Alexandra became infamous as the girlfriend of Claus Von Bulow.

by Anonymousreply 96April 27, 2018 12:01 PM

R96 Claus Von Bulow and his wife Sunny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 28, 2018 12:09 AM

Alexandra Isles on the witness stand at the trial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 28, 2018 12:11 AM

Just found out that the screenplay by Samuel Fuller for "Shock Corridor" was originally planned for filming by Fritz Lang. He wanted to change the lead character, an investigative journalist, to a female, and cast Bennett. That fell through and some years later Fuller filmed it with cutie Peter Breck.

by Anonymousreply 99April 28, 2018 3:33 AM

R99 Cutie (and he is) Peter Breck in Shock Corridor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 28, 2018 3:55 AM

Ouch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 28, 2018 3:56 AM

It's quite a film and critique of 60s USA. . Fuller also directed The Naked Kiss, with Constance Towers, who was married for many years to DL fave John Gavin. And 40 Guns, with Missy Stanwyck. A Gonzo filmmaker.

by Anonymousreply 102April 28, 2018 4:02 AM

R67 How do you pronounce that name? Serf? Kerf?

by Anonymousreply 103April 28, 2018 4:11 AM

R103 It's pronounced like Surf.

by Anonymousreply 104April 28, 2018 11:40 AM

The Macomber Affair with hunky Gregory Peck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 29, 2018 4:46 AM

Joan was on TCM this morning in "Hollow Triumph" with Paul Henreid.

by Anonymousreply 106April 29, 2018 5:55 PM

Your gif just gave me a seizure, r101.

by Anonymousreply 107April 29, 2018 5:58 PM

I always wondered if Connie compared notes with Yul when she was his Mrs. Anna, r102.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 29, 2018 6:03 PM

Smokin' Joan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 30, 2018 4:22 AM

Joan walking through a graveyard at night on Dark Shadows. Their usual pastime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 30, 2018 4:26 AM

R109, How can people act without cigs?

by Anonymousreply 111April 30, 2018 4:44 AM

Did Joan follow Connie's beauty regimen?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 30, 2018 4:15 PM

Bette said she never inhaled. My mother was like that, back in the 1960s-70s. Wanted to fit in with her friends but couldn't bear to breathe in the smoke.

There's a photo of Joan somewhere, smoking at a script-read (or whatever you call it) for Dark Shadows. She probably did inhale.

by Anonymousreply 113April 30, 2018 5:46 PM

She looks pretty butch here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 30, 2018 7:43 PM

One last smoke before she's sent to the Firing Squad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115April 30, 2018 7:46 PM

R114, that's her cousin, John Bennett.

by Anonymousreply 116April 30, 2018 11:35 PM

My mother resembled Joan Bennett.

by Anonymousreply 117September 21, 2018 2:52 AM

A journalist's article about Joan Bennett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118September 21, 2018 3:39 AM

I do hope not, R51. I enjoyed watching her opposite Spencer in notorious FFC flop ME & MY GAL (1932) just last night, and it would really kill it for me to find out it he was a sleaze to her shooting it.

by Anonymousreply 119December 9, 2018 8:24 PM

She was considered, I don't know how seriously, for Scarlett O'Hara. Certainly had the look.

by Anonymousreply 120December 9, 2018 9:05 PM

R120 Joan was in the Top 3 contenders for the role of Scarlett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 10, 2018 12:07 AM

I think Paulette Goddard was also a strong contender for Scarlett.

by Anonymousreply 122December 10, 2018 12:52 AM

She was an ungrateful little bi...

Oh, excuse me, I misread the name. Carry on!

by Anonymousreply 123December 10, 2018 1:47 AM

R122 She was, along with Joan, and Vivien Leigh who got the plum role.

by Anonymousreply 124December 10, 2018 1:49 AM

Bette didn't inhale ...

by Anonymousreply 125December 10, 2018 2:33 AM

Connie was right wing and lived to 60.

Joan was liberal and lived to 80

by Anonymousreply 126December 10, 2018 2:49 AM

She never did "Murder She Wrote". Either she had enough money or more taste. I thought all the "Not Dead Yets" did that show.

by Anonymousreply 127December 10, 2018 3:05 AM

I loved the two Father Of The Bride movies.

by Anonymousreply 128December 10, 2018 4:31 AM

She had a no-nonsense warmth in those. For those who saw "Deep End," with Tilda Swinton, JB was in the original, "The Reckless Moment, " with James Mason as the sympathetic blackmailer.

by Anonymousreply 129December 10, 2018 6:10 AM

[quote]So regal and beautiful on Dark Shadows. And well dressed.

Joan was well dressed because she insisted on wearing her own clothes instead of those supplied by Orbach's.

by Anonymousreply 130December 10, 2018 6:50 AM

Joan Bennett was universally loved by her co-stars on DS. She never pulled a star trip. She knew it was a pile of trash and camp.

by Anonymousreply 131December 10, 2018 8:18 AM

Dark Shadows gave Joan career its second big boost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132December 11, 2018 1:52 AM

Looking pretty for an interview during her Dark Shadows period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 11, 2018 1:54 AM

Hubba hubba!

by Anonymousreply 134December 11, 2018 2:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!