Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's so special about Rye, New York?

In the lead-up to Barbara Bush's funeral, the commentators kept making such a big deal about her being from "Rye, New York" as if it was something fantastic and special.

As far as I can tell, it's just much ado about nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159April 25, 2018 5:39 PM

You can walk around with your nose up in the air for hours and not bump into anything noteworthy.

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2018 2:00 AM

Christopher Atkins is from Rye, New York.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2018 2:02 AM

It’s a wealthy suburb of NYC in Westchester County. Old money.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2018 2:12 AM

Exactly what R3 said. It has an upscale and very private reputation. Especially when Babs was growing up, it would have been very classy privileged place to be a child

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2018 2:15 AM

Excuse me OP but I have problems of my own

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2018 2:21 AM

Rye has Playland Amusement Park. Bar probably got her start there learning the tricks of the trade.

She could be one of the little flappers in this video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2018 2:26 AM

Yeah OP, the pictured house is a decrepit old dump. Who'd wanna live there?

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2018 2:38 AM

Jason Bateman was born there.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2018 2:39 AM

It's a WASPy suburb, not so much old money anymore, but it's often lumped together with predominantly Jewish Scarsdale as the two towns in southern Westchester with good public schools and easy commutes that transplanted executives might want to consider.

Babs' alma mater, Rye Country Day is very Jewish and has been for about 30+ years

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2018 2:44 AM

And OP, they were making a big deal of it because (a) people don't generally realize Mrs. Bush was born and raised just outside NYC, and (b) it was a posh suburb in the 1920s and 30s at a time when there weren't a whole lot of suburbs, posh or otherwise. Her father was a prominent magazine publisher, IIRC

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2018 2:45 AM

It was like Greenwich CT - super rich WASPy. Now just rich - hedge fund guys, lawyers, no social elite- just money.

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2018 2:46 AM

Rye is next to Pumpernickel.

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2018 2:50 AM

The other notable thing about Rye, like many older old money suburbs is that the houses, which were considered quite mansion-like in their day, seem relatively tiny by today's McMansion standards. The hedge fund guys and lawyers that R11 refers to frequently do gut renovations and major expansions to bring them up to today's standards

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2018 2:51 AM

Nothing. They filmed a scene from some lame remake of Play Misty for Me at the amusement park there. Big whoop.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2018 2:58 AM

I grew up near there. Wish I didn't. There's nothing special about it. Never was. 😑

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2018 3:07 AM

It was a fave of old money. Some Rockefellers there. No more, tho

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2018 3:08 AM

It was a location in "Mad Men" . Betty and Henry Francis lived in Rye.

Rumaki?

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2018 3:18 AM

as noted, like greenwich, used to be old money, understated waspy, with a lot of civic pride. now overrun with asshole investment bankers and obnoxious hedge fund douches and their anorexic, over-caffeinated entitled blond bimbo wives.

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2018 3:45 AM

It's where Greg Berlanti is from. And didn't Rosie live there for a while?

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2018 4:09 AM

How does Rye compare to Millbrook, NY?

They both seem like very nice, upscale communities, but which one is a better place to live?

I get a WASPY vibe from both places.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2018 4:12 AM

Rye is much more of a commuter town, as it's 40 minutes from NYC. MIllbank is more of a weekend place or for the idle, as it's more of hike.

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2018 4:14 AM

[quote]used to be old money, understated waspy, with a lot of civic pride. now overrun with asshole investment bankers and obnoxious hedge fund douches and their anorexic, over-caffeinated entitled blond bimbo wives.

In all seriousness, is old money dead? Where is it? Where do they live?

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2018 4:44 AM

Millbank or Millbrook?

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2018 4:46 AM

yes, old money died, see. a. r. gurney

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2018 4:50 AM

Old money died a slow death. Starting 1982 with rise of New Wall St money. Then by 2000+ Tech new money was the nail in the coffin. And the hyper consumer culture combined with increased wealth of 1% means a $10 million trust fund can no longer buy a life of leisure and most likely can’t survive more than a generation.

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2018 4:56 AM

[quote] In all seriousness, is old money dead? Where is it? Where do they live?

Anderson Cooper believes it is. Did Glo Vanderbilt not get as much as everyone believed or was it squandered away on her living expenses? Or is Anderson really very rich and just plays it down?

I also wonder how much inflation ate into old money? You see all those estates in England that can't pay their bills, so they let tv shows like Downton Abbey film there and they give tours, etc. They used to have money to run those places. Did inflation eat their money?

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2018 12:34 PM

Poor investments. Marrying poor. Yep, that's the coffin nail.

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2018 1:04 PM

Interesting about the disappearance of "old money."

I never even thought about it, until it was brought up in this thread.

Looks like today's rich people are merely nouveau riche, and lack any sort of good breeding that goes along with wealth.

Barbara Bush probably felt the same way.

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2018 2:48 PM

spawning children who could't carry on the growth of wealth, squandering more than they contributed. estates spread out and dissipated over the years.

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2018 5:39 PM

Westport just wasn't the same once they started letting "show people" in.

by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2018 8:09 PM

in westport it was "those people" been downhill ever since

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2018 12:26 AM

R28 has never met old money people in their lives. Old money people are the rudest, bitchiest, laziest people in the world. They're often paralytically stupid too, because they have no reason to be good at anything. Let's not even start exploring their racism and inability to mingle with anyone not exactly like themselves. Breeding? Yes, they have it in their horses.

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2018 2:19 AM

It's where The Catcher is

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2018 2:27 AM

It’s rocking!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2018 2:52 AM

Funny how no one and nowhere ever measures up to the lofty and harsh DL standards! Anderson Cooper is certainly rich, or rich enough anyway. His net worth is estimated at or over $100M online in multiple sources. His salary is $11M or $12M from CNN's AC 360*. He has additional income from books he has written, specials he hosts, as well as his work for 60 minutes. Westchester is still VERY nice, and conveniently close to NYC. I have a close friend looking for a home there to escape NYC. (Yes, a "Wall Streeter, but with taste) There are many beautiful homes, and they are BIG ENOUGH even for modern standards. Could DL's be any more unrealistic? We shall see!

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2018 3:14 AM

Given Anderson's fuck pads in Brazil and Chelsea, I seriously doubt he's in the market for an 80 year old tudor in westchester where his "wife" will join the Junior League, Hospital Auxiliary and Garden Club and he hops into the volvo wagon and catches the 8:20 every morning to GCT.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2018 3:21 AM

Never said that R36. I was responding tonthe poster claiming AC did not SEEM rich, and to the other generalising all "Old Money Types" were dead broke or out of the running.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2018 3:28 AM

Oh, both of those were you R36! Funny that!

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2018 3:29 AM

Babs was actually born in Queens - so she was an NYC gal - and an outer boro one at that!

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2018 3:41 AM

Old money is no money.

They are all broke assholes.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2018 3:46 AM

Rye is so rich, it makes Chappaqua look like the poor house

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2018 3:49 AM

R40 I think I may have seen you post that same phrase here before?

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2018 3:51 AM

trashy arrivistes

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2018 3:52 AM

R42 I did post it before. But it true.

"OLD MONEY IS NO MONEY"

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2018 4:44 AM

A friend of mine who comes old money that ran out during his generation says he's "nouveau poor".

And nobody cares any more who your grandparents or great-grandparents are. 50+ years ago you could only get your engagement announced in the NY Times if you came from old money. ("Muffie Astor - Randolph DuPont IV engagement"

Now it's all about wealth, not background. Most of the NYT engagements now are primarily high level corporate players or children of high level corporate players. ("Ms. Nelson is a Sr Director at JP Morgan Bank and Mr Thompson is CEO of Coca Cola Corporation. ") The days of the WASPs ruling the social roost/govt are over and meritocracy is the order of the day. (But I do find it depressing to see so many reality stars with so much wealth that they earned by dumbing down America.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2018 5:18 AM

Which is nicer Rye or Rye Brook? I knew a super rich JAP in college who was from Rye Brook.

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2018 5:25 AM

It sounds like a place those dreadful hillbillies would infiltrate

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2018 5:37 AM

R47 WASPS are hillbillies. Their just more refined versions of their lesser counter parts. But at the end of the day their all trashy assholes.

by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2018 6:42 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2018 10:33 AM

I grew up in Rhinebeck back when it was a sleepy little village - there were a handful of NYC escapees around but they were mainly artists.

by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2018 11:37 AM

Don't forget Anderson's Lustschloss at the end of Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2018 11:45 AM

I love those old guard Westchester towns. Great houses, stone walls. Very elegant.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2018 11:56 AM

In the late 1960's my newly married and newly rich parents got steered away from Rye and towards Scarsdale by several realtors. "Rye is for the goyim. You'll be more comfortable in Scarsdale."

The brokers were right. They are still there, 50 years later!

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2018 12:34 PM

I grew up in Rye in the 50s-early 60s. It was a really nice place to live--lots of huge old trees, a shoreline on L.I. Sound. I think it's changed a lot demographically, but it still looks more or less the same--just less sleepy.

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2018 2:58 PM

Is it a leave it to beaver father knows best WASP type neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2018 3:09 PM

r55 I got the feeling that those places were not suburbs, but rather small stand-alone mid-western towns.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2018 3:33 PM

[quote] Is it a leave it to beaver father knows best WASP type neighborhood?

Exact same homes as Rye, except with a two million dollar price difference.

by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2018 3:53 PM

OP- so when bios of Mrs Bush say she was raised in Rye, NY a big deal is being made of the town? I think it's just reporting myself.

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2018 4:56 PM

I don't know why anyone's making a big deal of this. It's certainly a lovely small town, and even lovelier when she was growing up, but it's not significant or remarkable in any way except as a signifier for family wealth and good breeding. Oh, wait.

by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2018 5:47 PM

I dated a beautiful Jewess from Scarsdale in college.

by Anonymousreply 60April 23, 2018 7:56 PM

Old money usually dies over time as the original fortune gets divided up among an increasing number of descendants. That why the British gave everything to the oldest son and the other children could join the army or the ministry or marry well

by Anonymousreply 61April 23, 2018 8:10 PM

"people don't generally realize Mrs. Bush was born and raised just outside NYC, and (b) it was a posh suburb in the 1920s and 30s..."

Rye, like Scarsdale and many of the others before the 1940s, were restricted. No Jews. When I grew up in Westchester in the 1960s, it was Jewish heaven. In the 80s, Japanese. Now? Hedge fund people. My family wouldn't be able to afford it - the real estate or the TAXES.

by Anonymousreply 62April 23, 2018 8:18 PM

My good friend from college was from Chappaqua. Bunch of Irish drunks.

by Anonymousreply 63April 23, 2018 9:37 PM

R26

Nah. World Wars One and Two and the taxes needed to pay for them.

by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2018 10:53 PM

I thought it was more new money Jews there now.

by Anonymousreply 65April 24, 2018 12:09 AM

They're more likely to be in Scarsdale or the estate section of New Rochelle, or maybe in Harrison. Rye is still pretty stuffy episcopalian.

by Anonymousreply 66April 24, 2018 12:15 AM

For crissakes it's always been second tier. But this house is much admired by architectural historians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 24, 2018 12:15 AM

really? then what's first tier in your estimation?

by Anonymousreply 68April 24, 2018 12:17 AM

My grandmother had a house like it on the sound in CT. Half the porch was screened in. It was our sleeping porch in the summer. The first time I heard cats fucking I didn't know what I was hearing. I ran to my pot-head uncle - he said "it's cats fucking" and then something about homosexuals do well to sleep with boxing gloves on. It seemed like a stream of consciousness connection.

The floors upstairs sloped in odd directions. There were 2 suicides way in the past but my father was forbidden to tell us who and in what rooms.

I didn't like this one hall on the main floor. Rooms opened on either side through french glass doors, which had muslim curtains that were creepily see through - but just indistinct shapes and shadows.

I watched Exorcist alone in that house and it wasn't a pleasant evening.

by Anonymousreply 69April 24, 2018 12:22 AM

Which era in history, R68? And we are restricted to commuter towns? Obviously the better towns - you'd make it over the line to CT so Greenwich, Westport, etc. And North shore Long Island mansions held on to WWII - close to the city - not the Hamptons which were never commuter towns in the olden days. Suburban NJ had hunt country.

by Anonymousreply 70April 24, 2018 12:27 AM

Well, I was thinking of commuter towns in Westchester/CT simply because the original context was Rye. If you want to broaden it, I'd agree that there are parts of Long Island (not the Hamptons--I'm thinking of Manhasset), northern NJ and even down around Princeton that are contenders, and still arguably commuter towns.

by Anonymousreply 71April 24, 2018 12:34 AM

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 72April 24, 2018 12:39 AM

nothing really special about Rye among tony Northeast suburbs, but noting the changes between the 30's and 40's when La Cuntessa lived there and now gave rise to speculation about the decline of the "old money" wasp aristocracy of her time and the polyglot nouveau riche of today, a topic that seems perfect for DL

by Anonymousreply 73April 24, 2018 12:43 AM

Rye, NY remembers Barbara Bush.

It seems like a quaint little town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 24, 2018 1:20 AM

[quote]They're more likely to be in Scarsdale or the estate section of New Rochelle, or maybe in Harrison. Rye is still pretty stuffy episcopalian.

Totally wrong R66, you need to read up on the decline of the wasps, there are more Jews in Rye than observant Protestants

tRELIGION OVERVIEW t64.90% of the people in Rye (zip 10580), New York are religious, meaning they affiliate with a religion. 46.95% are Catholic; 0.35% are LDS; 1.94% are another Christian faith; 5.22% are Jewish; 0.80% are an eastern faith; 1.46% affilitates with Islam.

by Anonymousreply 75April 24, 2018 1:45 AM

r46, Rye Brook uses the 10573 ZIP code, which is really for Port Chester. That's where the help lives. This alone tells me it's not nicer than Rye 10580.

by Anonymousreply 76April 24, 2018 1:58 AM

Barbara Pierce wasn't top drawer.

by Anonymousreply 77April 24, 2018 9:12 AM

Rye Brook is the corned beef to Rye's bread. Port Chester is squeezy yellow mustard.

by Anonymousreply 78April 24, 2018 3:31 PM

Port Chester is the little spot of green mold you scraped off the bread. Really not a nice place.

by Anonymousreply 79April 24, 2018 3:37 PM

Why Dataloungers have this bizarre idea that towns and cities and schools and universities must be sorted and ranked is one thing I will never, ever understand.

You are the most insecure people I have ever known in my life.

by Anonymousreply 80April 24, 2018 3:41 PM

it's not inherent to DL, r80. There are dozens of listings and rankings -- best place to live, safest place to live, best public and private schools, etc. FYI, according to a new ranking, Rye is reported as the 55th safest city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 24, 2018 3:50 PM

I wonder what the cultured residents of Rye think of the people who go to the Amusement Park....

by Anonymousreply 82April 24, 2018 4:08 PM

R80, DL is the yearbook club of politics, news, and pointless bitchery. And, also, too, your Keds do your cankles no favors.

by Anonymousreply 83April 24, 2018 4:10 PM

I know it's not quite an NY suburb but if I had to live in any of these places it would be Princeton. Has some of the most gorgeous estates (there's one on the market now that looks like Palm Beach it's insane) and unlike most of these suburbs it all has a great town.

Prices are absolutely untouchable now which I guess surprised me given its distance from NY. Only Greenwich is as expensive. But I prefer Princeton any day.

by Anonymousreply 84April 24, 2018 4:12 PM

[quote]I wonder what the cultured residents of Rye think of the people who go to the Amusement Park...

"the people in ... here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them"

by Anonymousreply 85April 24, 2018 4:16 PM

There's nothing to do in Princeton. It is incredibly dull--it's just a wealthy exurb of NYC. The richest people who live there commute to work in the city by helicopter.

by Anonymousreply 86April 24, 2018 4:16 PM

[quote] Old money people are the rudest, bitchiest, laziest people in the world. They're often paralytically stupid too, because they have no reason to be good at anything. Let's not even start exploring their racism and inability to mingle with anyone not exactly like themselves. Breeding? Yes, they have it in their horses.

We think you're a total cunt.

by Anonymousreply 87April 24, 2018 4:18 PM

Princeton may be dull, but it's perfectly beautiful, and if you can afford to live in the estate areas you can afford to get into the city for amusement--just as you can if you live in Rye.

Btw, as far as I know there is still a separate road called Playland Parkway that whisks the hoi polloi from the interstate or the local Post Road directly to Playland without encroaching on the locals at all.

by Anonymousreply 88April 24, 2018 4:19 PM

[quote]and if you can afford to live in the estate areas you can afford to get into the city for amusement--just as you can if you live in Rye.

But it's much, much further away from NYC (or any other city) than Rye is.

by Anonymousreply 89April 24, 2018 4:21 PM

It's because the people who live there are so wry.

by Anonymousreply 90April 24, 2018 4:21 PM

R69, what are Muslim curtains?

Do you mean muslin?

by Anonymousreply 91April 24, 2018 4:24 PM

That was really clever, r91.

by Anonymousreply 92April 24, 2018 4:24 PM

70% of Rich Families Lose Their Wealth by the Second Generation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 24, 2018 4:25 PM

r88, Playland Parkway still exists. The last time I went to Playland was at least a dozen years ago. The people who go there are fine, everyone just wants to have fun. It's the people who work there though! I don't know if they are employed as part of a prison-work release program or a methadone clinic program but the people I encountered didn't seem capable of operating a soda fountain let alone operating a ride. The park is owned by the county and loses money every year. A private developer tried to buy it during the recession and the preservationists rallied and stopped that from happening. It really is a historic landmark and the architecture is gorgeous. But it's also sitting on waterfront property worth mega millions.

by Anonymousreply 94April 24, 2018 4:28 PM

Westchester Country club is in Rye. Where is that in the hierarchy of NE clubs? Was it ever restricted?

Even though I prefer Westchester it always does seem Long Island had the more exclusive clubs. Maybe because the beaches are so much nicer (Westchester beaches SUCK).

by Anonymousreply 95April 24, 2018 4:29 PM

[quote]Princeton may be dull...

it's all relative, but I didn't find it so

by Anonymousreply 96April 24, 2018 4:33 PM

r93, old money usually comes with an ingrained work ethic, and appreciation of privilege and opportunities, that hasn't had a chance to develop among the new money set.

by Anonymousreply 97April 24, 2018 4:35 PM

"old money" usually had something of a social conscience and a need to "give back" (possibly with some guilt over how they attained their wealth). the nouveaus tend more to be Take Take Take More...I got mine...fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 98April 24, 2018 4:39 PM

Princeton is nice - but it’s barely a NYC suburb. Maybe for North Jersey workers. As close to Philly as NYC. Westchester County - including Rye - and Fairfield County are the best suburbs in general. Much more consistent stone and classic architecture. Long Island and Jersey have way too much post-war trash architecture.

by Anonymousreply 99April 24, 2018 4:45 PM

Most (but not all) of Westchester and Fairfield are pretty classic, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Jersey (see Princeton, Peapack, Morristown, Westfield, Summit) and Long Island (see Manhasset and surrounding).

by Anonymousreply 100April 24, 2018 4:50 PM

R98, that philanthropy of which you speak was a direct response to threats from anarchists and was borrowed from the Jews.

by Anonymousreply 101April 24, 2018 4:51 PM

r101, philanthropy can also be a direct response to the tax code. Why give it to the government when you can pick and choose your charities, thus lowering your taxable income.

by Anonymousreply 102April 24, 2018 4:53 PM

Authentic Rye Bread and fabulous Caraway- Swiss Cheese.

Add your own corned beef (8oz. per sandwich) along with three slices of the caraway swiss, 1/2 cup of sauerkraut, lots of creamy Dijon mustard, coleslaw , and a big ol' dill pickle. Grill sandwich in lots of butter, serve with fries, chips, and extra pickles on the side on the side.

by Anonymousreply 103April 24, 2018 4:56 PM

The town in "[italic]a Letter to Three Wives[/italic]" is supposedly Rye.

by Anonymousreply 104April 24, 2018 5:07 PM

The amusement park in Big is supposedly Rye Playland.

by Anonymousreply 105April 24, 2018 5:13 PM

r95, Westchester Country Club is fine; don't know whether it was ever restricted. It's hard to rank private clubs in the area; probably because of restrictions the clubs developed along religious/ethnic lines, so it's often a matter of which is the "best Jewish" or "best Catholic" (even then, there're Italian and Irish clubs). There are no longer bright lines, but there were some when I was growing up. Overall, if you're talking about golf clubs, I think Winged Foot is still the gold standard; if you're talking about yacht clubs, Larchmont Yacht Club still ranks high; if you're talking about the ubiquitous beach clubs, they're all very nice but I wouldn't know how to rank them.

by Anonymousreply 106April 24, 2018 5:18 PM

Bedford seems to be the place to live these days. Too far from the city to be considered?

by Anonymousreply 107April 24, 2018 5:31 PM

[quote] [R93], old money usually comes with an ingrained work ethic, and appreciation of privilege and opportunities, that hasn't had a chance to develop among the new money set.

Right because the people who never had to work for anything have an "ingrained work ethic" and appreciation for hard work, "privilege and opportunties"; that people who had to actually work and earn their money simply don't have.

by Anonymousreply 108April 24, 2018 5:52 PM

Bedford and Katonah are lovely r107, an hour from NYC, compared to 30 minutes from Rye. However, the area is less dense. A lot of celebrities live there. (Oh, and that incident with Blake Lively livid that paparazzi got photos of her daughter at Martha Stewart's Easter egg hunt? Either Blake or Ryan Reynolds tipped off the paparazzi. Again. They are being shunned as a result. Again.)

by Anonymousreply 109April 24, 2018 5:56 PM

r108, I know plenty of old money people. They all work. Every generation of their family has worked. It's the new money people who don't go to school or work, don't instill value in either, and their money only lasts a generation or two, if that long.

by Anonymousreply 110April 24, 2018 6:00 PM

[quote] [R108], I know plenty of old money people. They all work. Every generation of their family has worked. It's the new money people who don't go to school or work, don't instill value in either, and their money only lasts a generation or two, if that long.

Silly generalization based upon anecdotal evidence.

by Anonymousreply 111April 24, 2018 6:14 PM

Article outlines the difference between old money and new money. I especially like this:

Investing —“People with significant assets tend to be wary. If they still have money, it’s because they have been careful about it,” a retired portfolio manager in Martha’s Vineyard explained about Old Money attitudes. Old Money — Capital preservation while keeping up with inflation is their primary objective. They are a steward of the family’s wealth for future generations. New Money —“You must speculate to accumulate.” (anonymous)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 24, 2018 6:21 PM

Rye isn't too far from Crouton on Hudson

by Anonymousreply 113April 24, 2018 6:33 PM

OP, as far as I can tell, you know very little about the world.

by Anonymousreply 114April 24, 2018 6:38 PM

good one, r113.

If we're going to consider Princeton and all of Fairfield, we can consider Katonah/Bedford.

by Anonymousreply 115April 24, 2018 7:03 PM

R106, Yes, many of the clubs in Westchester and Greenwich were once restricted. It may be slowly changing, but the clubs are still restricted somewhat. They may have the token Jewish member or two, but they remain overwhelmingly "Christian."

Winged Foot may be the gold standard, but Donald Trump was a member there. In Palm Beach, the Everglades and Palm Beach B&T refused to even consider him. They are both still restricted. Trump created his own club at Mar-a-Lago (across Ocean Ave from the B&T), and the Jewish club is the Palm Beach Country Club on the northern side of the island

by Anonymousreply 116April 24, 2018 7:23 PM

r95, Westchester Country Club didn't have a black member before 1990, which is when the PGA said they would not host any tours at restricted clubs. WCC brought on two black members after that. Even by the time Tiger Woods first played there there were only a handful of black members.

by Anonymousreply 117April 24, 2018 7:28 PM

I am astounded that Winged Foot let Trump in. On a full membership or just golfing privileges?

by Anonymousreply 118April 24, 2018 7:38 PM

He is a full member at Winged Foot. But the members won't hang his portrait in the clubhouse.

Fun fact: Trump National in Briarcliff is the only private club that would accept Bill Clinton as a member.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 24, 2018 7:46 PM

Shiny Sheet article from 1999 about Palm Beach clubs dissing tacky Trump and his nouveau Mar-a-Lago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 24, 2018 7:47 PM

Shame on Winged Foot. That's very funny about Clinton--looks like he found his level.

by Anonymousreply 121April 24, 2018 7:51 PM

I forgot to add that Rush Limbaugh belongs to the Everglades in Palm Beach. Wouldn't his radio audience love that! Their "Everyman" hero belongs to the most exclusive club in the nation! Ha! What hypocrisy!

by Anonymousreply 122April 24, 2018 8:04 PM

How are these worms managing membership in these places; the process is excruciating and calculated to stop people like this at the front door.

by Anonymousreply 123April 24, 2018 8:10 PM

R21 "Millbank"

The model for Mountebank, the home of WASP Gloria Upson in "Auntie Mame"?

by Anonymousreply 124April 24, 2018 8:14 PM

r123, Trump has been a member at Winged Foot since 1969.

by Anonymousreply 125April 24, 2018 8:15 PM

really? well, the earth continues to spin on its axis--although i'm not entirely sure why.

by Anonymousreply 126April 24, 2018 8:18 PM

Winged Foot in Mouth?

by Anonymousreply 127April 24, 2018 8:19 PM

Winged Foot in the grave?

by Anonymousreply 128April 24, 2018 9:21 PM

Why, it's right next to Darien!

by Anonymousreply 129April 24, 2018 9:42 PM

[quote]Westchester Country club is in Rye. Where is that in the hierarchy of NE clubs? Was it ever restricted?

Definitely restricted-- no Datalounge members allowed!

by Anonymousreply 130April 24, 2018 10:01 PM

The last of crusty Episcopalianism: The Apawamis Club in Rye. Tradition, old families, old money.

by Anonymousreply 131April 24, 2018 10:15 PM

[quote] 70% of Rich Families Lose Their Wealth by the Second Generation

Tell me about it!

by Anonymousreply 132April 24, 2018 10:18 PM

My cousin is from Scarsdale. Westchester is very Jewish. Chappaqua and Rye are quite Jewish as well. Perhaps Rye was a WASP suburb with no Jews country clubs when Barbara was a kid, but things change.

The WASPS left NY to the Jews and moved north to New England. Every WASP over 80 lives in Maine, Rhode Island, NH, Vermont, or Mass.

by Anonymousreply 133April 24, 2018 10:21 PM

I live in Westchester and don’t know any Jews here.

by Anonymousreply 134April 24, 2018 10:22 PM

R134, how is that possible?

by Anonymousreply 135April 24, 2018 10:24 PM

not the case when I was a kid, but by the time my younger siblings were in school the schools closed for the major jewish holidays. Pointless to keep them open when more than half the kids would be out.

by Anonymousreply 136April 24, 2018 10:27 PM

"What's so special about Rye"

I always assumed there are lots of Catchers in the Rye.

by Anonymousreply 137April 24, 2018 10:31 PM

R135 we hang out with mostly other gay couples, none are Jewish. Still, none of our neighbors or local acquaintances are.

by Anonymousreply 138April 24, 2018 10:37 PM

r133 The statistics at R75 contradict your assessment of the Jewish-ness of Rye. 5% ain't much.

by Anonymousreply 139April 24, 2018 11:04 PM

Oops yeah muslin not Muslim. They were not this sheer. Really it was creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140April 24, 2018 11:25 PM

Scarsdale, Chappaqua and Armonk have a large concentration of Jewish residents. They also have the best public school districts.

by Anonymousreply 141April 24, 2018 11:46 PM

r134, you've never been to the north end of New Rochelle then. They even have found a way to have the police give them individual escorts across North Avenue during the Sabbath. Apparently they're too good to rely on traffic lights and walk/don't walk signs.

by Anonymousreply 142April 24, 2018 11:57 PM

"They"?

by Anonymousreply 143April 25, 2018 12:01 AM

There is a nice yacht club in, wow, Bridgeport. It's in the enclave of Black Rock, which is a lovely little community on the sound. Who would know? My great-grandfather built a beautiful stone house in Black Rock about 100 years ago, I guess. I had the pleasure to know him for about 10 years of my life. He had a sister who was in love with a catholic. So she wouldn't marry him. She lived her entire life in sin therefore. He gave her jewels every year, as he was a jeweller. I used to love looking through her jewel box and that of my grandmother as my great great auntie gave her most of of the gifts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144April 25, 2018 12:06 AM

Is that her house OP?

by Anonymousreply 145April 25, 2018 12:12 AM

Isn't Black Rock part of Westport?

by Anonymousreply 146April 25, 2018 12:18 AM

Surprisingly not R146.

by Anonymousreply 147April 25, 2018 12:21 AM

My working class uncle had a beach shack in Fairfield - I had fun there. Fairfield and then Southport before Westport, from Bridgeport.

by Anonymousreply 148April 25, 2018 12:23 AM

[quote] My working class uncle had a beach shack in Fairfield - I had fun there.

Tell us more!

by Anonymousreply 149April 25, 2018 12:25 AM

surprising indeed, r147. i stand corrected.

by Anonymousreply 150April 25, 2018 12:25 AM

He was a dirty cop in Bridgeport r149. Use to confiscate fireworks and give them to us. He was a HUGE handsome irishman, scary but kindhearted to kids. My aunt married down but I can see why.

by Anonymousreply 151April 25, 2018 12:39 AM

R106 here yeah the reason I asked is because I went to a WASPy private all girls school in NY and an even WASPier boarding school - I had been to or at the very least heard of all the WASPy clubs in of course NY, Long Island (Hamptons, Locust Valley and yes Lawrence which many don't realize), PB, Hobe Sound, Fisher Island, Greenwich, Newport , Maine, even New Jersey (DL fave Mark Gilbertson is from Rumson as he'll make a point to tell you, there's also the Seabright club)...the reason I mention all these is not to be annoying but to make a point that with all of these clubs I had never heard of one in Westchester until I met my significant other (Jewish, by the way) and he and his family are members. He always claims it's a WASPy club but compared to these others I mentioned I don't quite believe it...

by Anonymousreply 152April 25, 2018 6:21 AM

R152 because you didn't know about it doesn't mean they don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 153April 25, 2018 10:52 AM

137, getting the Jewish holidays off from school was due to the teachers union successfully negotiating them as paid time off.

by Anonymousreply 154April 25, 2018 11:20 AM

I had Jewish holidays off in my NJ public school in the '60s.

by Anonymousreply 155April 25, 2018 11:30 AM

Really, r152? Which club is that?

by Anonymousreply 156April 25, 2018 12:14 PM

Michael Bloomberg resigned from the Century Club, a predominantly Jewish country club in Purchase (near Rye) before he ran for Mayor because he felt it was too Jewish, and excluded non-Jews from becoming members. A couple of years ago after he left office, he rejoined and nominated his daughters for membership.

by Anonymousreply 157April 25, 2018 1:26 PM

There are plenty of self-identified Jewish clubs in and around Westchester. I doubt they affirmatively exclude non-Jews, but they may discourage such applications. These clubs exist because Jews were not considered "clubbable" by the memberships of most country clubs.

Anyway, this is not big news. Of all the sins committed by politicians, resigning from a private club to avoid appearances is barely noteworthy. I don't think Bloomberg has otherwise pretended he isn't Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 158April 25, 2018 1:42 PM

Princeton may well be considered a NYC suburb now. According to this study, among people who commute into NYC for work, 1 in 15 has a 90 minute or longer commute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159April 25, 2018 5:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!