Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I just finished writing something. Now I'm waiting for it to come out. And I'm feeling down.

Post-partum? Anyone creative have this experience too?

by Anonymousreply 22April 25, 2018 4:25 AM

Same here. It's like a breakup.

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2018 1:27 PM

No, I mostly just watch TV, so no, I haven't had that experience.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2018 1:28 PM

were you just on NPR, interviewed by Scott Simon?

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2018 1:29 PM

I always "cut the cord" and move on to the next project, if only just to keep busy. Once a book is completed and sent off through the pipeline, you sort of lose control over it.

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2018 1:55 PM

R3 No. was there a guest on who was similarly depressed?

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2018 2:44 PM

No but it was a gay writer (Sam J Miller) who has a new book out.

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2018 2:47 PM

OP must be Jake Tapper.

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2018 2:48 PM

Visual artist here. Always happy when a project or series is 'done'. To me art making feels like a combination of giving birth and walking a tightrope at the same time. Thrilling, scary, and exhausting. Then I will have days/weeks/months where I never want to make art again. Eventually an old or new idea will surface and I'll start playing. I've always wish that sense of play would continue through the whole process but it rarely does.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2018 3:00 PM

You are supposed to have 3 projects in different stages going. One you are working on, one you have completed and waiting to be published, and the next one already contracted.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2018 3:06 PM

get on the production line. widgets don't get made on their own

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2018 4:15 PM

"waiting for it to come out" ... of what, your printer?

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2018 4:21 PM

Uranus

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2018 4:23 PM

It's a hot new vampyre novel series, where the vampyres are secret Lesbians and they all live in the Victorian age and secretly run things! In the second book, werewolves appear and Disrupt Everything!

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2018 4:25 PM

What did you write about? Your bowel movements?

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2018 4:32 PM

OP, be sure to tell us about every single step of your publishing experience! It'll charm the DLers into buying and fawning over you for months! then you can drop us like a cold potato and buy a goat farm.

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2018 4:35 PM

R8 is spot on!

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2018 4:38 PM

[quote] You are supposed to have 3 projects in different stages going. One you are working on, one you have completed and waiting to be published, and the next one already contracted.

I do. But there's still a transitional period when I can't pick up the other project I'm working on. It's not really a block. It's like the period after giving birth and before you start having sex again, if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2018 7:05 AM

Humblebrag.

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2018 7:16 AM

Or it's like coming down after you cum.

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2018 4:09 PM

Or it's like coming while you're thinking of your errand list.

by Anonymousreply 20April 25, 2018 4:15 AM

"I just finished writing something. Now I'm waiting for it to come out."

Where'd you put it, honey!

by Anonymousreply 21April 25, 2018 4:20 AM

"It's a hot new vampyre novel series"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 25, 2018 4:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!