Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Molly Ringwald New Yorker article

Were any DLers here "saved" by John Hughes's films?

"I have been told more times than I could count, by both friends and strangers, including people in the L.G.B.T. community, that the films “saved” them. Leaving a party not long ago, I was stopped by Emil Wilbekin, a gay, African-American friend of a friend, who wanted to tell me just that. I smiled and thanked him, but what I wanted to say was: “Why?” There is barely a person of color to be found in the films, and no characters are openly gay. A week or so after the party, I asked my friend to put me in touch with him. In an e-mail, Wilbekin, a journalist who created an organization called Native Son, devoted to empowering gay black men, expanded upon what he had said to me as I had left the party. “The Breakfast Club,” he explained, saved his life by showing him, a kid growing up in Cincinnati in the eighties, “that there were other people like me who were struggling with their identities, feeling out of place in the social constructs of high school, and dealing with the challenges of family ideals and pressures.” These kids were also “finding themselves and being ‘other’ in a very traditional, white, heteronormative environment.” The lack of diversity didn’t bother him, he added, “because the characters and storylines were so beautifully human, perfectly imperfect and flawed.” He watched the films in high school, and while he was not yet out, he had a pretty good idea that he was gay."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2018 5:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2018 9:58 PM

Nope. And I don’t appreciate his elevation to near Auteur status after his death.

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2018 10:00 PM

It's actually a very thoughtful piece she wrote, and doesn't deserve to be judged by one pull quote, but most posters here will do that anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2018 10:02 PM

It's the same back-patting wank she's been spewing for the past decade, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2018 10:07 PM

God, I hate that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2018 10:08 PM

She’s not good in Riverdale.

by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2018 10:25 PM

As an early Gen Xer Hughes' characters just didn't ring true for me. He was an early boomer who didn't have a clue about 80s teens. There are writers who can write convincingly about those younger than them, but I don't think Hughes was one of them, ever.

There's a lot of laughable stuff in his movies, like the "poor" girl in Pretty in Pink tooling around in a Karmann Ghia. That's all been covered here many times before.

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2018 10:33 PM

Not to diminish Molly Ringwald, but it shows how desperate people were back then to look at entertainment as a way to find relief, comfort, purpose, empowerment, validation, etc.

Even to to this day a lot of people look at celebrities to validate their own existence (including their sexual identity). The moment a certain celebrity comes out being gay is no longer shameful, it's cool! Until then they use the celebrity's own closet case status as a (or one of many) valid reason to hide in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2018 10:47 PM

Almost choked on my food laughing at R1's gif.

by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2018 11:12 PM

I found Ringwald's article reflective and well written.

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2018 9:49 AM

Her movies with Hughes haven't aged well at all!

by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2018 10:20 AM

16 Candles has a rape victim falling for her rapist, and I noted that back when I saw it in the theater as a gayling. I did, however, wish Jake Ryan had my panties.

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2018 10:36 AM

Film critic Dana Stevens tweeted that she turned down writing the Criterion liner notes for Breakfast Club for a lot of the same reasons Ringwald brings up in the article.

That great thread we had about Hughes a year or so ago said it all: he was a Boomer using Gen X to work through his own generation's wish fulfillment fantasies. I can't hate on marginalized people who found solace in his films but their gratitude doesn't diminish his many, many flaws.

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2018 10:37 AM

People say they were "saved" by songs all the time

by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2018 10:48 AM

Does the DL really hate John Hughes and his films?

by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2018 11:11 AM

Does this mean I now have to throw out my John Hughes DVDs?

by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2018 12:54 PM

[quote]Does the DL really hate John Hughes and his films?

There was a great thread that discussed all the ways his films epitomize the Reagan worldview. I can't seem to find it, though—it's probably the same thread that R13 mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2018 8:15 PM

I'm looking for it too, R17. Can't find it either, which is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2018 10:41 PM

Hideous. Risky Businss, on the other hand, might have done the trick for some people.

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2018 11:09 PM

I grew üp in a poorer Chicago suburb and could not relate to Hughes moves, even abstractly. Definitely Baby Boomer wish fulfillment.

by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2018 11:18 PM

I think this is the old Breakfast Club thread we're thinking of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 8, 2018 10:50 AM

Video discussion of the article by Ben Mankiewicz and company. Blackface, rape, gay jokes... it's all in there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 9, 2018 11:33 PM

I'm tired of these self-righteous celebrities who feel the need to apologize for films they made 20+ years ago for political reasons.

by Anonymousreply 23May 8, 2018 3:28 PM

r23 I wonder if artists in the Byzantine Empire had to do the same thing when the iconoclasts came to town.

by Anonymousreply 24May 8, 2018 3:35 PM

I was a closeted gay teen in the exact demographic these films were geared to, and I did respond to the portrayal of teenaged “otherness” that Molly references in a positive, personal way. He showed the kids that weren’t jocks, prom queens or otherwise highly privileged and popular. He literally juxtaposed them against those types in films like “The Breakfast Club” and “Pretty in Pink.”

Did these films “save” me? No, not literally, and not on their own. But they were faint beacons, at the height of Reaganism, AIDS and the crushing homophobia of that time, that otherness had value, too, and that being different should not exclude anyone from enjoying life like other people do.

by Anonymousreply 25May 8, 2018 3:45 PM

I always wondered; did Hughes nudge her and Anthony-Michael Hall together?

They were an adorable couple and did seem quite well-matched, but they dated for less than a year ('85, just after SIXTEEN CANDLES wrapped and during the filming of THE BREAKFAST CLUB) and never stayed in touch after the fact. Was it just a teen fling or did JH exploit their burgeoning young hormones for his movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2018 8:42 PM

She could of had Laura Dern’s career as an act two but turned down Blue Velvet - a role written for her by David Lynch! Her mom never even let her read the entire script

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2018 8:53 PM

When I think of all the people's lives that were saved by The Young and the Restless when I was on, I get so emotional, I have one tear in each eye.

THAT'S acting!

They're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2018 9:09 PM

R27, you fucking moron.

Should HAVE. Could HAVE. Would HAVE. Might HAVE. Got it? It is NOT "should of/could of/would of/etc."

Learn some basic fucking English and spelling before posting here, or get the fuck over to Reddit with the other semi-illiterate morons.

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2018 9:11 PM

R29 Your rage issues don't work with that bag.

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2018 9:17 PM

[quote]like the "poor" girl in Pretty in Pink tooling around in a Karmann Ghia

In all fairness, her KG was beat up and looked like she got it used from an ad in the papers.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2018 9:20 PM

R29 should of really become a teacher, perhaps a coach or diplomat

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2018 9:27 PM

Ringwald also turned down roles in Ghost, Pretty Woman, Scream and When Harry Met Sally. She only has herself to thank for falling off the radar so quickly.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2018 9:29 PM

When I think of all the lost souls that were saved by Francine’s penultimate decline into madness in Gidget Goes Hawaiian, it makes me sad for today’ s youth

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2018 9:31 PM

R8, you are so right. There is this crazy chick who teaches at the school my friend teaches at. This chick posted a status a few weeks before the royal wedding saying how Meghan Merkle was her idol and her inspiration and she gives hope to every black girl out there. Right, little Sheronda in Compton is just waiting for the day she'll get married to Prince Harry. Bitch, you knew who Meghan Merkle was for like 2 months!!! Just shows how desperate people are.

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2018 9:32 PM

R27, WHAT? I had no idea Ringwald was supposed to be in Blue Velvet??? Regardless, if she was, I don't think her career would have fared any better. Laura Dern is a fantastic actress, few of her generation can rival her. Can we really say the same about Molly? Just imagine her trying to act in Inland Empire or Enlightened.

by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2018 9:34 PM

Do people here who lived through the 80s feel Fast Times at Ridgemont High was a better portrayal of teen life than the Hughes movies?

by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2018 9:36 PM

God, you're a waste of oxygen, you pathetic excuse for a human being r29

by Anonymousreply 38June 20, 2018 9:50 PM

No, those movies definitely have not aged well. In Sixteen Candles the jock hands over his girlfriend to the geek to date rape while she's unconscious, saying, "she won't know the difference." WTF? And this is the hero of the movie. At the time it wasn't even a blip on anyone's radar. I remember not thinking anything much about it myself---because she was the slutty "bad" girl. Of course she deserved anything she got. Wow, times have changed.

Cookie cutter, cliche characters acting exactly like their stereotypes: the jock, the mean girl cheerleader, the geek, the good girl, the class clown. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. The screenplay could have been written better by someone who was actually IN high school at the time.

by Anonymousreply 39June 20, 2018 10:01 PM

R39, in the late 90s/early 00s there is an episode of Family Guy where Quagmire finds a cheerleader tied up in the bathroom and he goes "jackpot". Even then, I thought it was disturbing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 20, 2018 10:18 PM

The appeal of Hughes’ films was one of attainable fantasy. Each tribe member was almost in reach - the jock was friendly enough, the prom queen vulnerable enough, the geek cool enough, the weirdo relatable enough...in reality, these same people were not allowed to veer into other tribes’ lanes without penalty. As far a gay 80’s anthem, there was nothing gay about these films but they did acknowledge that there were outsiders and loneliness in the world. Not sure of today’s pop culture equivalent

by Anonymousreply 41June 20, 2018 10:26 PM

^^maybe one of those trashy popular network teen dramas like RIVERDALE would be a loose equivalent? That has a sweet jock in Archie, a cool weirdo in Jughead, and a vulnerable princess in Veronica.

by Anonymousreply 42June 22, 2018 8:48 AM

I've never understood the status of John Hughes. Banal suburban tripe.

by Anonymousreply 43June 22, 2018 9:23 AM

The word "gay" used as a cut down is in All of Hughes' films. It looks nuts to today's youth. It looks Trump-ish.

by Anonymousreply 44June 22, 2018 1:58 PM

What was her offer in relation to Scream?

I’m guessing its most likely Gail Weathers, but I wouldn’t be shocked to hear it was the Drew Barrymore opening sequence either

by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2018 5:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!