Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why hasn't Dr. Renee Richards joined the trans movement?

She's laying kinda low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2018 3:29 PM

Because she is a smart, accomplished woman, and not an attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2018 12:59 PM

Dr. Renee Richards is a man, not a woman.

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2018 1:02 PM

Maybe she just wants to life her life, OP? Ever thought of that? Not everyone requires the drama and the mental and physical wear and tear that comes with fighting 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2018 1:02 PM

lying low

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2018 1:03 PM

Maybe because she's 83 years old. In any event, she was out in front on this issue at a time when it being so made you a leader, not a follower. Today, I'm afraid that has largely reversed itself.

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2018 1:06 PM

Dr Richards is a well-known ophthalmologist in NYC. She made a name in her field, above the reknown she has as a tranny or ranked tennis player.

I don't know if she still practice medicine.

by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2018 1:27 PM

Maybe she does not wish to associate herself with the kind of people who make up the trans movement.

by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2018 1:36 PM

Low as in dead? Or God's waiting room where the elderly and infirm have so much energy to devote to political and subcultural battles?

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2018 1:46 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by join the "trans movement" OP. She has written two autobiographies. She still gives interviews. Even in your own article closes with a description of the event that probably prompted the article - a panel discussion of her famous court case.

So besides being a troll what exactly is your point?

by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2018 1:51 PM

[quote]Low as in dead?

I meant she. I have no idea where low came from.

by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2018 1:56 PM

Low as in low hanging balls?

by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2018 2:52 PM

Back in a time when our political agendas were much more aligned, Renee Richards's fight was a huge boon for what would come to be called the LGBT community.

Even if you do not agree with how our paths have diverged, you ought not deny that contribution for what it was in it's time and place.

For now, Richards has made a choice not to comment and deserves to be left alone. Sometimes, you simply get a pass after having done the heavy lifting on behalf of others.

by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2018 3:27 PM

“Having lived for the past 30 years, I know if I’d had surgery at the age of 22, and then at 24 went on the tour, no genetic woman in the world would have been able to come close to me. And so I’ve reconsidered my opinion.”[

This comment quoted on Wikipedia is why she doesn't get invited out much. She's 83 and lives with another woman, a "platonic companion." But she still practices if you want to get your contacts from an 83 year old.

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2018 3:56 PM

Dr. Richards was my eye doctor from age 4-15. Dr. Richards saved my eyesight. I was supposed to be 75% blind by the time I was eleven. I am now 22 and have 20/25 vision. I do not know if still practicing but truly changed my life

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2018 10:01 PM

She had a real job, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2018 3:25 PM

Because she's retired and 83 years old. Going to die soon.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2018 3:27 PM

Because Renee sees the current movement for the farce it is, as well as the psychotic attachment people place on it and their children, and the misogyny that has amassed itself within it.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2018 3:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!