Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Liza Broke?

And will anyone buy those orthopedic oxfords she wore to the 2014 Oscars when Ellen insulted her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600December 21, 2018 4:08 AM

She should be able to get tens of millions if not hundreds from the Warhols. If she hasn't already mortgaged them.

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2018 11:10 AM

Yesh, Georgia, I'm bushted.

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2018 11:21 AM

Wow, I’d love to bid on a Halston flapper dress!

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2018 11:36 AM

I'm sure she sold off anything of value long ago. Is she surviving on the kindness of strangers? Either some old gays who treat her like a pet to show off to their pals at parties or some old straights who fuck her so they can brag about having fucked Liza?

I have an actor friend who's famous and works constantly yet is broke and almost lost his house in foreclosure except some shady guy bought the house and allows him to live in it until he can pay it back by a certain date. Of course he'll never make the millions required to pay it back as he's 60+ and so will ultimately either have his legs broken or be killed. My point is that there are famous people who work constantly and are broke and in debt to their eyeballs then there are famous people like Liza and Mia who rarely work and somehow manage to dodge the creditors despite never having made big bucks even in their respective heydays last century.

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2018 11:44 AM

She could sell it all here on DL!

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2018 11:49 AM

R5 Her ass or her Warhols?

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2018 11:52 AM

all the good stuff is gone

she been livin off her vag for yrs....

imagine!

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2018 12:12 PM

How come we never hear boo about her life in LA? Nada. Zilch. It’s like there’s a news blackout. How is that possible in this internet age? We know about every time Reese Witherspoon goes to yoga. Why not Liza??

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2018 12:31 PM

She should do DWTS if her body is up to it. Or follow her ex-husband's lead and do the UK Celebrity Big Brother. Easy money and she'd get a lot of publicity. All she'd have to do on CBB is sit on a couch and tell wild stories about her past. If she did either program and came off well, she could have a Marie Osmond level comeback. Marie got the concert gig at the Flamingo following DWTS and is still doing it years later. Plus the short-lived chat show and the Nutrisystem ads that are always playing.

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2018 12:42 PM

bitch can barely walk, or talk, all them cigs....

judy judy judy....

by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2018 1:19 PM

A title for an LM autobiography - "Under the Rainbow".

by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2018 1:36 PM

Liza is Hollywood royalty, she’ll never be broke like a regular person.

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2018 1:47 PM

I thought OP’s pic was of Kris Jenner at first glance.

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2018 1:50 PM

Her "All the Single Ladies" song from Sex and the City II must have sold MILLIONS of copies!

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2018 2:03 PM

She's a Pisces, like Elizabeth Taylor. Booze and pills.

by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2018 2:07 PM

I read here recently that her sister Lorna's breast cancer has recurred -- to her brain. Being a BC survivor myself and having read and researched a bit about it (mostly from bc forums), that pretty much means terminal, although advances in treatment may give her more time. I'm assuming Liza and Lorna have at least a decent relationship since Liza has moved to California which is where Lorna lives. Perhaps she's trying to raise money for treatment; I'm just speculating but cancer treatment -- especially involving the brain -- ain't cheap, even for the average person and one must assume that they'll want the very best doctors, hospitals, etc.

I know absolutely nothing, just putting this out there.

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2018 2:09 PM

I don't think she's broke but she is ill. She recently cancelled her performance with Micheal Feinstein at The Smith Center in Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2018 2:18 PM

Auctioning off her belongings in preparation for death.

by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2018 2:25 PM

R8 - Michael Feinstein does Facebook Live video's with Liza once in awhile, they may still be up on his page. She can still sing very well, just doesn't have the range she once had. I think TMZ has had video's of her out to eat in WeHo with her past chorus boys from her Kay Thompson show.

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2018 2:26 PM

She's not broke. Liza can live of the sale of her Warhols alone.

by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2018 2:32 PM

R16 What type of cancer was it? My best on your continued fight for life. My partner was diagnosed with Stage 4 melanoma in his brain in 2011. He had a craniotomy to remove the tumor but within a year it had grown back. After his second craniotomy they also did stereo-tactic radiation and he had chemo as well. When he showed cancer free he got himself into a clinical trial at the Moffitt Center in Tampa. It was long course of transfusions and he finally finished those two years ago. He has scans now every six months and as of this writing he's remained cancer free. I call him my miracle man. Cancer changes your life forever. You never look at things quite the same way again. Be well my friend!!

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2018 2:55 PM

I want her experiments working with clay to create jewelry for the Liza Minnelli Collection!

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2018 3:17 PM

I get my dreamsh from my father, my drive from my mother, and my debtsh from the IRSh!

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2018 3:18 PM

[quote]Wow, I’d love to bid on a Halston flapper dress!

"No, but that's the one I don't want to sell. That's Haaaaalston."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2018 3:30 PM

I doubt she's broke - she sold her longtime apartment at Imperial House in NYC in 2015 for $8.4 million and in 2016 her Warhols were on sale for $40 million (can't find anything about buyers and sale prices but in the art world anonymous buyers are common). She probably wants to liquidate her memorabilia because it's expensive to store and collects dust. She lives in a very exclusive tower in West Hollywood near Doheny Drive and the border of Beverly Hills. Financially she's more than fine. Physically and mentally......

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2018 3:33 PM

She's overcome so much diversity!

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2018 3:36 PM

She's an old lady, why pay to store it all? Smart move.

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2018 3:40 PM

Liza takes call from the public on HSN -

HOST: It's Doris in Georgia.

LIZA: Hi, Georgia!

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2018 3:40 PM

She also probably knows she's never really going to work again, beyond a modest, intimate appearance here and there. The days of the big shows and big bucks are over. She's being practical.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2018 3:42 PM

She lives in an exclusive tower, lol. Do you mean the Sierra Towers? If so, many of those units are small, so I can see her getting rid of stuff. At Elton's old place, he converted a small laundry room into an office. No window.

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2018 4:11 PM

I wonder if Barbra has her over for lunch? Although I'm sure Barbra is careful not to flaunt her massive wealth when Liza is there. She probably has her staff set up lunch in one of the smaller houses on her estate so as not to overwhelm poor Liza.

by Anonymousreply 31April 5, 2018 4:16 PM

Does Barbra let her shop at the mall? I hope Liza is at least allowed during sales.

by Anonymousreply 32April 5, 2018 4:22 PM

There was a blind recently about her drinking problem and that she does not care. She will go down with a bang, because she won't live that much longer sober.

by Anonymousreply 33April 5, 2018 4:25 PM

[R30] Yes, it's an exclusive tower - valet parking, doorman, spectacular views, etc.. Are you suggesting Sierra Towers is cheap?

by Anonymousreply 34April 5, 2018 4:27 PM

Listings in Sierra Towers. I guess $18,495,000 for a 5,500 sq., 2 bedroom condo doesn't impress you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 5, 2018 4:31 PM

Sierra Towers is a condo building, not a tower- is Liza Rapunzel?. But yes, it's exclusive. Your choice of words, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2018 4:31 PM

Lorna's on Medicare, she should be fine as far as medical costs.

Liza' probably downsizing - selling off the shit she's mostly had in storage for a gazillion years. If she could afford the Upper East Side of NYC for so many years, she can afford LA. For those that don't know, you live off the income from investments - you don't live off the principle (cash). Plus, as R18 said, she doesn't expect to live another ten years.

by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2018 4:35 PM

[R36] Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 38April 5, 2018 4:40 PM

What would you call this if it isn't a tower?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 5, 2018 4:44 PM

I'd call it a condo or my place. Have you ever heard someone invite you over to their "tower" for dinner? You can quit posting ST info- I've sold 3 units in the building and have a friend living there now. I've forgotten more than you'll know about that building. Although feel free to post the AD pics of Cher's old place- the only 2 story in the building.

by Anonymousreply 40April 5, 2018 4:51 PM

Sierra Towers has a great location and views, but it's very dated with the low ceilings. It's nothing more than a glorified apartment building. It's not worth the money, especially with the high HOA fees.

by Anonymousreply 41April 5, 2018 4:53 PM

[R40] Loopy old queen. Screwdriver and Xanax for breakfast again. Architecturally it's a TOWER. Get it? Figures you're a real-estate agent and not an architect. Because it contains condos doesn't mean it isn't a tower. Dumb.

You could find a way to share your knowledge of the building without being a cunt. I and others on DL would be interested. Instead, you feel you need to show off your "insider" knowledge and reflected glory. I know your kind. Go back to "Elton's" laundry closet or whatever the fuck you like to call it.

by Anonymousreply 42April 5, 2018 4:57 PM

The view can never be replicated, but it's a rough building to live in. Someone is always redoing their unit- it's like a permanent construction zone (or construction tower, lol).

by Anonymousreply 43April 5, 2018 4:58 PM

"Sierra Towers offers ... built-ins bars."

Sold.

by Anonymousreply 44April 5, 2018 5:03 PM

They never built phase 2, hence the word towers when there is only one. Lick my rectum after 🌽, you know- nothing fag. Anyone can Google, but they wouldn't let you into valet.

by Anonymousreply 45April 5, 2018 5:18 PM

Everything about this woman’s life seems like a caricature.

She’s basically a cartoon at this point.

by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2018 5:24 PM

Joey, have you sheen my underwear? I'm pretty shure I had it when I dozhed off.

by Anonymousreply 47April 5, 2018 5:38 PM

The night is bitter. The stars have lost their glitter...

by Anonymousreply 48April 5, 2018 5:40 PM

[R45] Pretentious, face-lifted old fuck. And you wonder why nobody loves you.

by Anonymousreply 49April 5, 2018 5:41 PM

Liza “Pillszh” Minnelli.

by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2018 5:44 PM

R40 has stated her boundaries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 5, 2018 5:58 PM

Hey fag boy, I live in the the Empire West, right by the Westview Towers as well. That should keep you googling for hours with the slow WiFi in the trailer parks.

by Anonymousreply 52April 5, 2018 6:51 PM

She'll be fine. She sold her UES apartment. And now this will bring in millions.

by Anonymousreply 53April 5, 2018 7:25 PM

[R52] Proof that "pretentious old fuck" was spot-on. Revolting old queer.

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2018 7:34 PM

Shierra Towersh!

by Anonymousreply 55April 5, 2018 7:44 PM

She doesn't have any kids. No husband. She can do the fuck she likes.

by Anonymousreply 56April 5, 2018 8:00 PM

She should have bought Mae West's old apartment in the Ravenswood.

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2018 10:10 PM

I waszh going to ashk why they call it Shierra Towerzsh if therezh only one.

I mean, come on - don’t make Lizsha shay more s’s than neshesharry.

by Anonymousreply 58April 5, 2018 10:39 PM

^^"esh's"...

by Anonymousreply 59April 5, 2018 10:42 PM

She'll be drunk and won't care about the noise, R43.

by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2018 11:06 PM

She just tells people come to my elegant tower. No "s" involved.

by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2018 11:18 PM

Did Liza appear at all on the sassy short hairstyles of the 70s thread?

by Anonymousreply 62April 5, 2018 11:31 PM

Shasshy short hairshtylesh? Now you're jusht being shadishtic!

by Anonymousreply 63April 6, 2018 6:18 AM

Excushe me... I should have shaid, "Shasshy short hairshtylesh of the Sheventiesh"!

by Anonymousreply 64April 6, 2018 6:19 AM

[quote]There was a blind recently about her drinking problem and that she does not care. She will go down with a bang, because she won't live that much longer sober.

Well I heard she's going like Elsie.

by Anonymousreply 65April 6, 2018 11:54 AM

"The Condo Inferno" starts Friday at a Theater near you!

by Anonymousreply 66April 6, 2018 11:54 AM

sadly, her puss done broke.

she can no longer rent it out, even to hoary fans like david guest....

honey, u still got ur butthole and mouf: they aint blown out yet and so get to work hun..

by Anonymousreply 67April 6, 2018 12:03 PM

This thread is hysterical. And yes I adore Liza and I am a member of various (sometimes warring) Judy Garland Facebook groups.

To that poster above, Liza's auction was announced long before Lorna's cancer tragedy occurred. Also before the announcement of Lorna's forthcoming TCM-published A Star Is Born book is coming in the fall.

Lorna's London concert performance, her diagnosis, the surgery and Lorna's subsequent white turban-wearing thumbs up recovery pics were all breathlessly reported on in real time.

Oh, and on the day the auction was announced, I ordered the limited edition hardcover Liza auction catalogue, which is scheduled to be shipped at the end of the month.

by Anonymousreply 68April 6, 2018 12:43 PM

I wonder if she's going to sign everything like Kate Jackson does. I'd love a signed ash tray.

by Anonymousreply 69April 6, 2018 12:52 PM

What is Liza's living situation? She can barely walk so is there a live-in gay who cares for her?

by Anonymousreply 70April 6, 2018 1:11 PM

I don't like being in the red.

by Anonymousreply 71April 6, 2018 1:24 PM

Shierra Towersh is marveloush! It'sh right in the middle of Losh Angelesh sho you have all the connectionsh you want. You never have to wait more than ten minutesh.

by Anonymousreply 72April 6, 2018 1:25 PM

Liza if you’re reading this, we love you!!!

by Anonymousreply 73April 6, 2018 1:28 PM

Her face sure is.

by Anonymousreply 74April 6, 2018 1:38 PM

[quote]parties or some old straights who fuck her so they can brag about having fucked Liza?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 6, 2018 1:46 PM

[quote]It’s like there’s a news blackout. How is that possible in this internet age?

Maybe because she’s one million years old and a cripple and just chills at home in her recliner? Isn’t that a possible explanation?

by Anonymousreply 76April 6, 2018 2:05 PM

Leave Liza alone! Seriously, what bad things has this woman done?

by Anonymousreply 77April 6, 2018 2:07 PM

It’s shocking she’s lived this long.

by Anonymousreply 78April 6, 2018 2:10 PM

[R68] Are you going to the auction? Are you eyeing any specific items? Does the catalog come with juicy descriptions?

by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2018 2:20 PM

Oddly enough, I can totally see Jon Hamm fucking Liza Minnelli R75.

by Anonymousreply 80April 6, 2018 2:20 PM

I doubt she's fucking anyone. Her body is shot- hell, even her mouth doesn't work right.

by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2018 2:32 PM

If she released a collection of Liza Minnelli Recliners on HSN I'd buy one. Or two.

by Anonymousreply 82April 6, 2018 2:37 PM

Any word on Lorna?

by Anonymousreply 83April 6, 2018 2:54 PM

R83 she was molested.

by Anonymousreply 84April 6, 2018 2:58 PM

Yes, Lorna has a brain tumor (and was molested).

by Anonymousreply 85April 6, 2018 3:21 PM

Who molested Lorna?

by Anonymousreply 86April 6, 2018 4:18 PM

She probably doesn't even know about the auction. They'll get her to make an appearance by telling her it's an exhibition of her memorabilia. When they finally open it up for bids, she'll have a complete meltdown.

"Is that my blue Halston pantsuit?!? I don't want to sell that! Joey, go out there and tell them that I'm not selling that."

by Anonymousreply 87April 6, 2018 4:23 PM

Liza spends most of her time at home these days, in front of the tv and smoking cigs.

by Anonymousreply 88April 6, 2018 5:55 PM

Do financial advisers, crooked bankers. and shady gays take advantage of Liza?

by Anonymousreply 89April 6, 2018 6:12 PM

Yesssh, help me! I'm locked in the Shierra Towersh. Itsch on the border of Beverly Hillsch.

My shister wash molesshted!

by Anonymousreply 90April 6, 2018 6:22 PM

Liza loved the Roseanne Reboot. "Wasn't I on that show?"

by Anonymousreply 91April 6, 2018 7:09 PM

How many hips did Fosse ruin?

by Anonymousreply 92April 6, 2018 8:00 PM

Fosshe ruined both my hipsh, and both my kneesh. But it wash worth it to play Shally Bowlesh!

by Anonymousreply 93April 6, 2018 8:15 PM

I just want her to be happy. That’s all.

by Anonymousreply 94April 6, 2018 8:17 PM

I saw her 35 years ago at a club, and she was a fucking mess then. Strong genes.

by Anonymousreply 95April 6, 2018 8:18 PM

[r95] That would be 1982? Performing or as a fellow patron? Disco had ended but New Wave was rising - was Liza still doing lines with Andy?

by Anonymousreply 96April 7, 2018 12:53 AM

Studio One in LA. 2 guys were holding her up.

by Anonymousreply 97April 7, 2018 1:00 AM

R97 Didn't you blow me on the back stairs?

by Anonymousreply 98April 7, 2018 1:03 AM

If Judy Garland had lived into her 70s... this is exactly what her life would have been like too, except with more pills.

by Anonymousreply 99April 7, 2018 1:03 AM

I will always love her for Cabaret,and I wish her all the best in her remaining time on this earth. Drunk,pill head,whatever she has been,the woman lived an amazing life we could only have dreamed of. I also love her for Junie Moon,a criminally underrated movie.

by Anonymousreply 100April 7, 2018 1:19 AM

[R97] She turned 36 that year. Still young. Still young but too messed up to have the career she should have had. She was appealing across all media and her talent was absolutely top notch - the best of the best to rival her mother. Then....a sad, sad story unfolded that would bring tears to Judy's eyes. At least Liza has big bucks and will die in luxury (although I wouldn't rule out the toilet). Take solace in that.

by Anonymousreply 101April 7, 2018 1:21 AM

If Liza had done a remake of NOW, VOYAGER she might have scared away Judy's ghost.

by Anonymousreply 102April 7, 2018 1:23 AM

Ish hope Ish don't die on the schitter like schaMama.

by Anonymousreply 103April 7, 2018 1:24 AM

[R103] A case of Depends and a barrel of Dexamyl will ward that off!!!

by Anonymousreply 104April 7, 2018 1:27 AM

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 105April 7, 2018 1:41 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 106April 7, 2018 2:24 AM

Hi Georgia!

by Anonymousreply 107April 7, 2018 4:13 AM

YES, LEEZA GIBBONS IS BROKE

HAS BEEN FOR YRS

IS ON RENT BOY.....

by Anonymousreply 108April 7, 2018 4:29 AM

that above pic of jon hamm is so dam hot I had to pause a min and masturbate.

DAMN U

by Anonymousreply 109April 7, 2018 4:31 AM

She only fucks gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 110April 7, 2018 5:03 AM

[quote]Shasshy short hairshtylesh? Now you're jusht being shadishtic!

Bwahahaaaaa! Shon, you jusht made me shart myshelf!

by Anonymousreply 111April 7, 2018 5:44 AM

[quote]was Liza still doing lines with Andy?

Andy never did lines, or anything else.

by Anonymousreply 112April 7, 2018 5:47 AM

As much as we all make fun of her, I think that when Liza finally dies, and we see all the video obituaries, we will be sad in a way we never expected to be sad.

Cabaret, in particular, will strike a chord with all of us gay men.

by Anonymousreply 113April 7, 2018 5:50 AM

[quote]Cabaret, in particular, will strike a chord with all of us gay men

It's hard for people to understand today the impact of that film and what a big deal Liza was during the 1970s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 7, 2018 1:40 PM

[quote]Cabaret, in particular, will strike a chord with all of us gay men.

Speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 115April 7, 2018 3:14 PM

My parents took me to see her in concert and she started out with Some People. Liza was great and I've never seen an audience so transfixed.

by Anonymousreply 116April 7, 2018 3:21 PM

I like Liza and you never hear anything bad said about her.

by Anonymousreply 117April 7, 2018 3:31 PM

She threw me out of my house!

by Anonymousreply 118April 7, 2018 3:33 PM

R117, I guess you didn't read the DL thread about her HSN appearance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 7, 2018 3:43 PM

[R112] Andy Warhol was addicted to speed (Obitrol) in the '60's, though he managed the dosage very carefully. It's a myth that he abstained while those around him partook.

by Anonymousreply 120April 7, 2018 3:52 PM

But it it's also true that Andy didn't hang with Liza until the '70's, after he got shot and ditched his motley crew of misfit "superstars" for actual superstars.

by Anonymousreply 121April 7, 2018 3:59 PM

You have to give it to, Liza. She got pretty far for a woman with minimal talent and odd duck looks.

by Anonymousreply 122April 7, 2018 4:03 PM

[R122] Minimal talent? Surely you're joking. If Liza doesn't have talent then no one does. She's phenomenally talented.

by Anonymousreply 123April 7, 2018 4:07 PM

Liza's a sweetheart. I love her

by Anonymousreply 124April 7, 2018 4:13 PM

R123 So why didn't she have a bigger acting or singing career? If she was so talented, she'd have been up there with Barbra and Bette (two other women with odd duck looks). But she wasn't. Why not? She's only starred in a half dozen movies (by that I mean lead roles) and put out 11 studio albums in 60 years. The rest were repackaged greatest hits or concert albums. Nothing fresh.

by Anonymousreply 125April 7, 2018 4:15 PM

Liza was incredibly smart or lucky to commission those Warhol portraits. I'll bet that was the best investment she ever made. I've got a few (prints, not originals) and paid $2500 for one that I sold for $75,000.

by Anonymousreply 126April 7, 2018 4:15 PM

I love her, too. Would love visiting her in the tower and just hanging out. She's smart and funny and has lots of great stories to tell. I'd regale her with my own stories about being a wage slave in beige offices dealing with toxic co-workers and sadistic managers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127April 7, 2018 4:16 PM

This thread is like Golden Era Datalounge. The fight over tower v. condo is CLASSIC.

Thanks DL, there's life in you yet.

by Anonymousreply 128April 7, 2018 4:33 PM

She is very talented.

She could have had a far bigger career... but lost a lot of opportunities due to being drunk and high much of the time. And then fell into poor health as she got older.

by Anonymousreply 129April 7, 2018 4:38 PM

It's still a condo, not a tower.

by Anonymousreply 130April 7, 2018 4:45 PM

It's a condo IN a tower.

by Anonymousreply 131April 7, 2018 4:59 PM

She doesn't really live in that tower. She just has her mail sent there to make people think she does. She actually lives in section 8 housing with Faye Dunaway. They're roommates. Faye drives them around in her Prius.

by Anonymousreply 132April 7, 2018 5:03 PM

R126 deserves a top spot in the DL humblebrag pantheon.

by Anonymousreply 133April 7, 2018 5:07 PM

She really peaked with her Oscar win with Cabaret. Musicals were outdated in the 70s and Cabaret was a fluke. I think Hollywood just didn’t know how to cast her. Her talents were better suited for Broadway at this point anyway.

by Anonymousreply 134April 7, 2018 5:13 PM

I agree. Much better live performer.

Condo in a tower is correct.

by Anonymousreply 135April 7, 2018 5:19 PM

Condo in a tower now and forever under construction.

by Anonymousreply 136April 7, 2018 5:22 PM

People move in and out of that building like a revolving door and they usually redo the entire place first. I will say, a corner unit facing the city has breathtaking views.

by Anonymousreply 137April 7, 2018 5:48 PM

[quote]I think Hollywood just didn’t know how to cast her.

Her look was in tune with the fashion for gawky gamine waifs in the late 1960s. Other than "The Sterile Cuckoo" it's a shame she didn't get a good starring role in a major film back then.

If "Chicago" had been filmed in the 1970s or 80s, that would have been a great vehicle for her... but I can't imagine much else.

I like pre-Cabaret Liza. Her first couple of albums are lovely and I still listen to them.

Here's late 1960s Liza on the Carol Burnett show singing Randy Newman. His story telling songs were perfect for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138April 7, 2018 5:58 PM

Hi Georgia!

by Anonymousreply 139April 7, 2018 6:07 PM

[quote]r31 Barbra probably has her staff set up lunch in one of the smaller houses on her estate so as not to overwhelm poor Liza.

I hope they keep a close eye on her. I see Liza wandering off and getting lost on the Malibu coastline.

They'd have to follow her singing to find her.

by Anonymousreply 140April 7, 2018 6:24 PM

Liza Minnelli is one of very few people I believe would've made it in show business on their own, without famous parents or connections.

by Anonymousreply 141April 7, 2018 6:27 PM

[quote}r39 What would you call this if it isn't a tower?

Issh sha shhhky shhhcraper!

by Anonymousreply 142April 7, 2018 6:28 PM

I want to hear Liza on the Howard Stern Show. He might get a magnificent last interview out of her.

by Anonymousreply 143April 7, 2018 6:28 PM

I like her. There seems to be a vulnerably about her.

by Anonymousreply 144April 7, 2018 6:42 PM

Well then shoo it away, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 145April 7, 2018 6:48 PM

I think Liza is the penultimate survivor in a very tough, take no prisoners, business. To contend with being Garland's talented daughter is enough to drive one over the edge. She's strong, tough as nails.

by Anonymousreply 146April 7, 2018 6:54 PM

Liza NEEDS to go on Howard Stern's show. That would be one helluva interview!

by Anonymousreply 147April 7, 2018 6:54 PM

You all act as if Liza is on her death bed as we speak. She was just at the Oscars a few years ago and looked great.

So damn dramatic you queens are.

by Anonymousreply 148April 7, 2018 6:54 PM

R146 If she was so strong, she wouldn't need booze or drugs.

by Anonymousreply 149April 7, 2018 6:54 PM

But I love boozshe and drugsh!

by Anonymousreply 150April 7, 2018 6:55 PM

Liza is not broke. She should have millions in the bank. The Sierra Towers is not cheap.

by Anonymousreply 151April 7, 2018 6:56 PM

Yes, R26, and a lot of adversity too!

If Ellen really insulted her, fuck Ellen. Liza has more talent in her fingernail clippings than Ellen AND Portia have put together.

by Anonymousreply 152April 7, 2018 6:57 PM

[quote]r132 She doesn't really live in that tower. She just has her mail sent there to make people think she does. She actually lives in section 8 housing with Faye Dunaway. They're roommates. Faye drives them around in her Prius.

For some reason, I see psycho, uber-bitch Faye actually being kind to Lissha.

Unless it's Oscar night. Then she's all, "Liza...LIZA!! Are you listening to me? Now, I have told you I am going out...OUT! Your remote is HERE and your juice is HERE, and here is your CLAY. You will SIT in that recliner until I COME FOR YOU! Is that clear? Call Liam or Carol Ann if you need anything. And DON'T PLAY IN THE GARDEN."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153April 7, 2018 6:58 PM

Goldie Hawn ish one of my closhesht and dearesht friendsh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154April 7, 2018 7:00 PM

R149, nobody's perfect. You are presenting yourself as a cunt, FYI

by Anonymousreply 155April 7, 2018 7:02 PM

I'm not trans.

by Anonymousreply 156April 7, 2018 7:10 PM

Liza is not broke. A star is never without resources. Because she is generous and wishes to remain so, Liza has relented and finally agreed to star in a remake of A Star Is Born. Christmas 2020.

by Anonymousreply 157April 7, 2018 7:13 PM

How many times do we have to post she's not broke? She has or had $60 million in Warhols, not to mention Basquiat and Haring. She made many judicious purchases before and during her marriage to the sculptor.

by Anonymousreply 158April 7, 2018 7:25 PM

Yes and Whitney once had a fortune of 250 million, but died on credit to her record company, with about 12 million in assets. Decades of cocaine addiction and hangers on and gay husbands don't come cheap. Plus you could see Liza for about twelve dollars on Groupon. She wasn't exactly a big star was she? Before my time was her time I guess. Did she play county fairs?

by Anonymousreply 159April 7, 2018 7:33 PM

Just her Mark Gero's alone must be worth hundreds of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 160April 7, 2018 7:34 PM

She was talented but not in the classical sense. Her talent imho, was her ability to connect with an audience and "sell" her performances. I only saw her once in person and she was on the downside of her career, but even with her bad legs, her shaky voice and her weight she was absolutely spellbinding. She got this talent directly from Judy who was known for her live performances. Liza wasn't as good on film or recordings -- she simply did not have the technical skills for that but in person you knew you were in the presence of someone special.

by Anonymousreply 161April 7, 2018 7:41 PM

Pauline Kael was writing about some film that presented Minnelli cruely, and said, "What has this lady ever done bad to viewers, except make them wonder if she was saving anything for an encore?"

by Anonymousreply 162April 7, 2018 7:53 PM

She's in beautiful voice at r138, but that is one of the stupidest songs I have ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 163April 7, 2018 7:58 PM

"Have you ever seen a younger looking seventy year old?" Well yes Michael Feinstein I have. This kind of sad gay travesty should have gone out with Liza's mom. Death porn Dreck. Liza can't even keep her face from moving in different directions and Michael Feinstein should be in a bad Bill Murray sketch, not in front of a real orchestra. Don't pay for these pitiful parties old gay people. There isn't enough delusion to go around. Just send Liza and Babs a check next time.

by Anonymousreply 164April 7, 2018 10:10 PM

Video for above ^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 7, 2018 10:11 PM

The Warhol sales were recent, you fucking moron. Whitney wasn't fit to scub Liza's toilet, the crack ho.

by Anonymousreply 166April 7, 2018 10:15 PM

Her face moves uncontrollably in different directions due to the anti-psychotics she’s on.

She should really be completely retired and out of the public eye completely at this point.

by Anonymousreply 167April 7, 2018 10:16 PM

I don't understand all of this "her career could have been bigger" stuff - Liza had a fabulous career!

Concerts, clubs, Broadway, TV, even a bunch of records and movies where she didn't come off as well. In the 1970s, "everything was Liza," which got annoying after a point, but she got the press a big star gets - for her work, for her personal life, for everything. Liza worked for a long time, and stars usually don't last more than a five or six years, I mean they're not on the cutting edge of what they do for more than five years. And to think she did most of it under the influence. Liza should be grateful she did so well and had such a loyal audience.

by Anonymousreply 168April 7, 2018 10:53 PM

I saw her at the top, at Arie Crown theater in Chicago the year after Cabaret, then, yes, a couple of years later at the Des Moines County Fair - or was it the Iowa State Fair?

by Anonymousreply 169April 7, 2018 11:20 PM

Thank Christ I took the Baccarat.

by Anonymousreply 170April 7, 2018 11:22 PM

[quote]She doesn't really live in that tower. She just has her mail sent there to make people think she does. She actually lives in section 8 housing with Faye Dunaway. They're roommates. Faye drives them around in her Prius.

Bitch, Faye is in THE TOWER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 8, 2018 12:14 AM

How cool would it be to hang out with Liza? I would love to go over to her place at Sierra Towers with a gallon-sized bottle of Absolut and a carton of Marb Reds, and the two of us would just watch tv and talk while we smoked cigs and got loaded together.

by Anonymousreply 172April 8, 2018 2:52 AM

I'm worried for her. Would Playboy or Huster pay her something for doing a nude spread? I mean, just to keep her going?

Maybe now that Hef's gone, that door's closed.

(PS: this lovely image comes up if you do a [italic]"liza minelli nude"[/italic] google search.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173April 8, 2018 3:32 AM

Stop it

by Anonymousreply 174April 8, 2018 6:08 AM

YOU stop it.

by Anonymousreply 175April 8, 2018 6:13 AM

Maybe Liza is not living in a condo or in a tower, maybe she's living in FAWLTY TOWERS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176April 8, 2018 6:16 AM

The Trolley Song stops gays in their tracks. It is mesmerizing to homosexuals. WTF is it about this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177April 8, 2018 7:33 AM

It's about customers of public transportation being so happy they just all spontaneously break into (the same) song.

Like we do - -

by Anonymousreply 178April 8, 2018 7:45 AM

Can we shut up about those druggie messes Judy and Liza? Liza had sex with canines and large groups. A lot of her money went to keeping that quiet.

by Anonymousreply 179April 8, 2018 7:54 AM

[quote]She's in beautiful voice at [R138], but that is one of the stupidest songs I have ever heard.

That's because you have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 180April 8, 2018 10:33 AM

This bitch has been broke for years.

by Anonymousreply 181April 8, 2018 10:34 AM

Re: Liza's "Debutant's Ball" (R138)

Here's the groovy psychedelic version by "Harpers Bizarre" (1967)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 8, 2018 11:57 AM

Besides being an addict, was Liza ever mean or bitchy to anyone?

by Anonymousreply 183April 8, 2018 12:31 PM

Liza was a self-pitying drunk, R183, not a nasty drunk.

by Anonymousreply 184April 8, 2018 1:38 PM

Everyone in the business loved Liza, and she was generous to a fault. Too bad she didn't take better care of herself, but she had a good run considering.

by Anonymousreply 185April 8, 2018 4:34 PM

Why do so many singers smoke?

by Anonymousreply 186April 8, 2018 4:38 PM

People in the performing arts have always been known to be smokers.

by Anonymousreply 187April 8, 2018 5:06 PM

Tallulah Bankhead taught Liza to inhale.

by Anonymousreply 188April 8, 2018 5:19 PM

Liza is a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 189April 8, 2018 5:20 PM

Liza deserves a Kennedy Center Honor.

by Anonymousreply 190April 8, 2018 5:32 PM

Liza deserves the Nobel Prise in the Greatest Benefit to Mankind category.

by Anonymousreply 191April 8, 2018 5:48 PM

R190 she really does

by Anonymousreply 192April 8, 2018 6:30 PM

I want a fucking hot dog!

by Anonymousreply 193April 8, 2018 6:36 PM

After David Gest claimed in a deposition related to their divorce that Liza got "superhuman strength" from booze, I've always had a vision of Liza as one of the X-Men ensemble - chugging from her enormous vodka bottle and flinging big rigs at skyscraper and giant robots.

Or - Liza chugs a whole bottle and Southern Comfort and squares off against Godzilla, her out-sized, earsplitting voice causing Godzilla to shrink back and ball up.

by Anonymousreply 194April 8, 2018 7:31 PM

Al in a Halston that could cover the Matterhorn (or perhaps a series of Halstons of different colors to play on different strengths?).

by Anonymousreply 195April 8, 2018 7:33 PM

Hi Georgia!

by Anonymousreply 196April 8, 2018 7:45 PM

She's broke believe me. I know the people that handle her business affairs, what little there are. Thank god for the SAG pension and SAG health benefits. Everything else is mortgaged to the hilt. Her health is poor too. It's a shame. The auction is her last hope of getting some money to take her to the end of her life. The proceeds will help pay off what she owes (alot!) and the rest will buy booze and keep her comfortable for a little while.

by Anonymousreply 197April 8, 2018 8:31 PM

GoFUCKme.liza

by Anonymousreply 198April 8, 2018 8:34 PM

R197 No Don't let this be true. Is she renting at the Sierra Towers?

by Anonymousreply 199April 8, 2018 8:36 PM

Liza and Lana Wood could share a flat to save a few bucks a month.

by Anonymousreply 200April 8, 2018 8:40 PM

I think if I ever hit it big -- lottery, sold that screenplay -- I'd stay as modest as possible.

A lot of these stars spend like there's no tomorrow.

and tomorrow comes.

by Anonymousreply 201April 8, 2018 8:43 PM

I thought you were going to write you'd support Liza, you frugal bastard

by Anonymousreply 202April 8, 2018 8:46 PM

Liza is NOT broke, any more than Debbie was. So you have to sell some assets. I doubt she's planning on living to 100.

by Anonymousreply 203April 8, 2018 8:49 PM

As it is for busted Romanov princesses there'll always be a Beverly Hills guest house available to Liza.

by Anonymousreply 204April 8, 2018 8:59 PM

Is Liza at the Towers? I had heard she was living in a home in the Hollywood Hills, via a very generous friend.

by Anonymousreply 205April 8, 2018 9:02 PM

Being an alcoholic isn't expensive. she never bought and decorated dozens of homes and apartments. If she is broke, what on earth did she spend her money on? Blow?

by Anonymousreply 206April 8, 2018 9:05 PM

I still want to know where and how she stored all of the auction garments. Everything appeared in practically pristine condition. Granted she probably only wore some of them once, but I wouldn't be able to get through one evening without a cigarette burn, ripped hem, and salsa stains!

by Anonymousreply 207April 8, 2018 9:08 PM

Liza no doubt had secretary and a housekeeper for decades, and multiple storage places, seeing to what family and heritage she was born to, she was burdened with a lot of stuff and then she generated her own vast horde of show biz memorabilia.

by Anonymousreply 208April 8, 2018 9:17 PM

Liza sold her NY apt for 8 million dollars and she’s been selling off her Warhol’s. Doubtful that’s she’s broke or even strapped for cash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209April 8, 2018 9:27 PM

22 warhols, Shit. Thread closed. She better figure out who to leaver her fortune to because if she liquidates her art and memorabilia she is going to have a large fortune.

by Anonymousreply 210April 8, 2018 9:33 PM

R36... here is the final word on sierra towers...... i live around the corner. IN A HOUSE. the place never made sense. they were dumpy apartments. then diane carrol and george hamilton moved there. the prices kept climbing. I WOULD NEVER LIVE THERE. low ceilings, when you get off the elevator you smell cooking odors from your neighbors. its really dumpy, just because they have a snoopy valet who shares all your business? also i would never ride up one of those elevators with others. ,.....faded sad celebrities. yuck

by Anonymousreply 211April 8, 2018 9:41 PM

Tax Troll, what percent of gain on the sale of art goes to taxes?

by Anonymousreply 212April 8, 2018 9:41 PM

It's a capital gains tax R212

by Anonymousreply 213April 8, 2018 9:43 PM

When Liza married, she married for Love; she is a hopeless romantic.

On the other hand, her husbands saw her as an ATM, a limitless ATM with professional and social connections. She has spent a lot of her money on lawyers, alimony payments, and NDA's. None of her ex-husbands have publically discussed their marriage to Liza, other than the usual superficial things.

by Anonymousreply 214April 8, 2018 9:50 PM

Liza is a coke fiend with a 45 year habit. She's had everything medically go wrong with her biology but maggots and she paid a lot of hush money to blackmailers who know about her wild, wild sexual exploits. Gangbangs, canine live shows, lines, crack pipes, needles and lots of orgies. Lil Liza was quite a ditch pig in her appetites. Costs money. But like a true Pisces she held onto the ART. Marks her place in history more than those long ago AWARDS. Liza has sold much of Papa and Mama's things though, she's not sentimental about her shitty childhood. Only in interviews.

She has a Frontal Lobe Dementia, not sure which one.

by Anonymousreply 215April 8, 2018 10:22 PM

Oh so this is the point in the thread where people just make shit up.

by Anonymousreply 216April 8, 2018 10:26 PM

Oh snap.

by Anonymousreply 217April 8, 2018 10:26 PM

Mystery Guest are you the lovely and talented Sierra Towers?

by Anonymousreply 218April 8, 2018 10:29 PM

Poor Lorna is still waiting for Andrew Lloyd Weber to call about her playing Grizabella in Cats.

by Anonymousreply 219April 8, 2018 10:33 PM

Liza’s first two very brief marriages were to celebs and early enough in her career where she wouldn’t have had a vast fortune. Her last husband, David Guest sued her for 10 million dollars for alleged abuse. The case was dismissed. Doubtful that he received alimony. Her 3rd and lengthiest marriage may have ended with a settlement but who knows. Being that Liza married a string of gay men who probably did not want to be dragged through the mud and exposed. Doubtful that the others raised much of a fuss during the divorces.

by Anonymousreply 220April 8, 2018 10:34 PM

Joan Collins “crappy” Sierra Towers apartment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221April 8, 2018 10:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222April 8, 2018 10:44 PM

Los Angeles is grotesque. Lisa belongs in a luxury New York nursing home!

by Anonymousreply 223April 8, 2018 10:52 PM

I knew she had Warhols,but 22 ?!? My god how I envy her !

by Anonymousreply 224April 8, 2018 10:58 PM

Jane Fonda had a similar auction of some of her memorabilia a few years ago. Michael Feinstein put up a new video of Liza performing a few hours ago on his Facebook page and all things considered she looks pretty good.

I know she's had some health issues, but has she ever had any kind of heart issues? If her cocaine issues were as extensive as some people have posted, I would think that she would have had some serious issues with it by now.

For 72 and someone who has battled alcoholism and drug issues for a number of years, it's amazing she looks as good as she does.

by Anonymousreply 225April 8, 2018 11:04 PM

When I realize Liza is only a year older than my mother it gives me chills. My mother, who has never had plastic surgery, who was a smoker, but quit about 15 years ago, and who has lost 3 pounds, looks wonderful. Not a line on her face. She's lebanese so maybe that's why, but Mama who has a glass of wine now and then, and rarely takes any pills except aspirin, looks beautiful compared to liza with a "Z"

by Anonymousreply 226April 8, 2018 11:15 PM

I meant to say my mother lost 30 pounds. Ever since then her arthritis has been kept at bay so to speak. She walks every day and she is very agile.

by Anonymousreply 227April 8, 2018 11:16 PM

[quote]I knew she had Warhols,but 22 ?!? My god how I envy her !

It's the same picture copied 22 times.

by Anonymousreply 228April 8, 2018 11:18 PM

She can't fuckin breathe while sitting down R225. That's lung and or heart damage. My grandmother is 91 and still going to exercise class. Liza is a wreck. She's been a wreck since her fifties. A survivor I guess, but always in pain and not sound in any physical or mental way. I think it's very sad when a former star can't just rest and be with friends or take up reading or painting or some non ego interest. Feinstein keeps granting Liza her wish for syphilitic applause for sitting up and mumbling. It's not even sad because she so clearly craves it. What a fuckin mess of a human being. She never could sing well but she had a big voice and great performance ability. Decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 229April 8, 2018 11:21 PM

R228 try again. It’s not 22 copies of the same picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230April 8, 2018 11:23 PM

She never made that much money. Keep in mind that she was only a performer, not a writer or composer. She never got royalties or had a steady income stream. She has been considered unemployable for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 231April 8, 2018 11:29 PM

Some people just hate to be proven wrong. Liza has plenty.

by Anonymousreply 232April 8, 2018 11:30 PM

R221 Is that the apartment that flooded? Or another one? Joan has had quite a few experiences of roofs falling in and being flooded because of stupid neighbors above her.

by Anonymousreply 233April 8, 2018 11:32 PM

Liza COULD look better considering she has had accesses to world class plastic surgeons, dermatologists, nutritionists etc...., but Jesus people the linked photo is what most 72 year old women and men look like. The ones that look better then she does (and I'm not saying she looks dewy and youthful) are in the minority.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234April 8, 2018 11:45 PM

Not true R234.

by Anonymousreply 235April 8, 2018 11:49 PM

Insanely not true R234. Do you ever go out into the world?

by Anonymousreply 236April 8, 2018 11:57 PM

Why would you post a picture of Madonna in a Liza thread, r234?

by Anonymousreply 237April 9, 2018 12:10 AM

David Guest got her together enough to sing this song well. This was one of her favorite late songs. It suited her voice and range and gave her a chance to approximate a big finish like in the olden days. Except this one time, she really does it. Her voice opens up with clear dynamic power and her warbly old vibrato is not as distracting. That's all she could ever do with it, overpower it. Who cares if Guest hit Liza, she probably deserved it. I bet she beat him more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238April 9, 2018 12:12 AM

diane carrol

OH DEAR

by Anonymousreply 239April 9, 2018 12:14 AM

OMG that's terrible, R197 :(

Maybe Liza and Lainie could get together?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240April 9, 2018 12:15 AM

r229 is an ugly angry person.

by Anonymousreply 241April 9, 2018 12:20 AM

R241 Which is why he fits in here on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 242April 9, 2018 12:21 AM

Do you R236? Most 72 year old women and men, look their age, despite the DL "I'M 50 but everyone thinks I look 35".

72 isn't the new 50.

by Anonymousreply 243April 9, 2018 12:23 AM

Meryl, Glenn, Fonda, Field, Spacek etc are all the same age and are doing better. Liza had a rougher life.

by Anonymousreply 244April 9, 2018 12:24 AM

I'm no schopliftersh like Lainie!

by Anonymousreply 245April 9, 2018 12:25 AM

That's the one I don't want to sell. That's Halston.

by Anonymousreply 246April 9, 2018 12:40 AM

Agree R244, though Fonda had a serious eating disorder for many years. Then again, I would expect most women who were in the 1% with the means to have the very best to look pretty damn good.

Someone I thought always looked like a hag but was very physically fit and had $$$$ is Dr. Laura Schlessinger.

by Anonymousreply 247April 9, 2018 12:41 AM

Laura the whore! She was one of my professors at USC back in the 70s. Wore wife-beaters and no bra. Fucked half the class.

by Anonymousreply 248April 9, 2018 1:14 AM

Does Liza get any royalties from Momma's catalog of work?

by Anonymousreply 249April 9, 2018 1:16 AM

[quote]Feinstein keeps granting Liza her wish for syphilitic applause for sitting up and mumbling. It's not even sad because she so clearly craves it.

Liza has been on stage for, literally, her entire life, as was her mother. That's not something she can just give up, it's in her DNA.

by Anonymousreply 250April 9, 2018 1:21 AM

One of several Warhols of Momma. This one must be worth a fortune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251April 9, 2018 1:25 AM

Garland really had that STAR look.

by Anonymousreply 252April 9, 2018 1:27 AM

I have the limited of that one in purple.

by Anonymousreply 253April 9, 2018 1:27 AM

R248 details please! I know she's faded somewhat into oblivion, but God she was huge back in the late 90's early 2000's. The Vanity Fair article confirmed that she was a phony hypocrite and a cunt.

I saw Lorna's show a few years back, and she was great. Told some funny/sad stories and her voice has held up very well. I always thought Liza was more connected to her father then to Judy, I think she even did a tribute tour of songs from his films. Lorna and Joey got to see the warts and all Judy, whereas Liza did see as much because she could go to her father when things started to get crazy.

Has Liza ever said why she never did a full length tribute album to her mother similar to what Natalie Cole did with her father.

by Anonymousreply 254April 9, 2018 1:31 AM

[quote]Lorna and Joey got to see the warts and all Judy, whereas Liza did see as much because she could go to her father when things started to get crazy.

Judy was totally fucking batshit in the last five years, the drugs had just destroyed her mind by that point. Liza was out on her own by then, and didn't see too much of her mother. Joey and Lorna were living with Judy full-time, and got the full-on drug-induced psychosis and insanity from Judy.

by Anonymousreply 255April 9, 2018 1:34 AM

Hey R249 even Momma didn't get any royalties from her catalog. She died virtually penniless.

by Anonymousreply 256April 9, 2018 1:54 AM

I love Liza’s voice. Always have.

by Anonymousreply 257April 9, 2018 1:56 AM

r256 but Judy's estate would've been solvent after a while. Michael Jackson died practically broke, but after he died his estate went solvent because he wasn't around to spend any money.

by Anonymousreply 258April 9, 2018 2:03 AM

Haha, R258. Judy was robbed blind and worked half dead for the last twenty years of her life. If she had a chance for a few dollars she managed to fuck it up. But there was no real money to be made. She sang for a hundred dollars a night at a few piano bars before she moved to London. Mama was DEAD broke. People didn't get film or record royalties back then and Judy died in considerable debt. Liza hates Judy. She would have done better to figure that out.

by Anonymousreply 259April 9, 2018 2:11 AM

[quote] Liza hates Judy. She would have done better to figure that out.

Both Liza and Lorna seem to be in so much weird denial about their mother. They're both always bubbling, "She was so FUN!"

Yeah...doling out her daily meds and picking her off the floor and hearing she was dead in her 40s over the radio must have been an absolute BLAST!!

by Anonymousreply 260April 9, 2018 2:23 AM

Lorna said in her show that they would have to sneak out of hotels late at night because Judy couldn't pay the bill. She also talked about some of the losers that Judy dated and stole from her. I don't think Lorna is in that much denial. For all she went through and saw with her mother, Lorna's had a pretty stable life.

I think Lorna's kids are set financially because their dad co-wrote "I LOVE ROCK AND ROLL".

by Anonymousreply 261April 9, 2018 2:31 AM

Joan Collinsh livesh downshairsh from me at Shierra Towersh. She shtill looksh shpectacular!

by Anonymousreply 262April 9, 2018 3:23 AM

She's fine with even a fraction of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263April 9, 2018 3:24 AM

R259 is a nasty piece of work. He must lead an extremely miserable life.

by Anonymousreply 264April 9, 2018 4:13 AM

Sierra Towers condo for sale, HOA fee only $2400 a month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265April 9, 2018 4:23 AM

That's about right. It's almost $2k at Empire West.

by Anonymousreply 266April 9, 2018 4:32 AM

R259 spoke facts. Well done too. The truth IS compassion.

by Anonymousreply 267April 9, 2018 5:24 AM

You can't compare Jane Fonda and Liza. Jane has been taking care of herself for years. She rarely if ever drinks alcohol. She gets a good night's sleep, and she has been taking vitamins, eating right and exercising like a fiend for years. And Ted Turner took good care ($$$) of her. Liza OTOH, has always been a "gypsy." She is part of the life style of the NYC Broadway world. And she had Judy as her role model. Emotionally needy and unstable, she is both an icon and a trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 268April 9, 2018 11:46 AM

The fact that Liza lived to see 72 is itself a miracle. Her bones turned to shit, she gained weight, and she can't breath.

by Anonymousreply 269April 9, 2018 11:47 AM

She told me that she has sufficient.9

by Anonymousreply 270April 9, 2018 12:16 PM

R263 Sites like that are bullshit. There is no way of knowing how much someone is worth. Did they make good or bad investments? Are they a spendthrift? What are their monthly expenses? Check other actors on there. $60 million is a number they like floating around a lot.

by Anonymousreply 271April 9, 2018 1:56 PM

Didn’t DL ICON Lindsay Lohan have an apartment in the towers/condos?

by Anonymousreply 272April 9, 2018 2:17 PM

R268 Jane Fonda is also not a dancer. She hasn’t had her knees replaced or suffered the physical damage to her body that Liza has.

by Anonymousreply 273April 9, 2018 2:19 PM

I agree the sites are BS, but 22 Warhols are not. That's serious money.

by Anonymousreply 274April 9, 2018 2:19 PM

Liza has more money than God. She’s just downsizing and sends her wishes!

by Anonymousreply 275April 9, 2018 2:48 PM

R273, Fonda had two hips replaced.

by Anonymousreply 276April 9, 2018 3:14 PM

[quote] Liza is not broke. A star is never without resources. Because she is generous and wishes to remain so, Liza has relented and finally agreed to star in a remake of A Star Is Born. Christmas 2020.

[quote] Yes and Whitney once had a fortune of 250 million, but died on credit to her record company, with about 12 million in assets. Decades of cocaine addiction and hangers on and gay husbands don't come cheap. Plus you could see Liza for about twelve dollars on Groupon. She wasn't exactly a big star was she? Before my time was her time I guess. Did she play county fairs?

[quote] "Have you ever seen a younger looking seventy year old?" Well yes Michael Feinstein I have. This kind of sad gay travesty should have gone out with Liza's mom. Death porn Dreck. Liza can't even keep her face from moving in different directions and Michael Feinstein should be in a bad Bill Murray sketch, not in front of a real orchestra. Don't pay for these pitiful parties old gay people. There isn't enough delusion to go around. Just send Liza and Babs a check next time.

[quote] Video for above ^

[quote] Can we shut up about those druggie messes Judy and Liza? Liza had sex with canines and large groups. A lot of her money went to keeping that quiet.

[quote] GoFUCKme.liza

[quote] Liza is a coke fiend with a 45 year habit. She's had everything medically go wrong with her biology but maggots and she paid a lot of hush money to blackmailers who know about her wild, wild sexual exploits. Gangbangs, canine live shows, lines, crack pipes, needles and lots of orgies. Lil Liza was quite a ditch pig in her appetites. Costs money. But like a true Pisces she held onto the ART. Marks her place in history more than those long ago AWARDS. Liza has sold much of Papa and Mama's things though, she's not sentimental about her shitty childhood. Only in interviews. She has a Frontal Lobe Dementia, not sure which one.

[quote] Los Angeles is grotesque. Lisa belongs in a luxury New York nursing home!

[quote] She can't fuckin breathe while sitting down R225. That's lung and or heart damage. My grandmother is 91 and still going to exercise class. Liza is a wreck. She's been a wreck since her fifties. A survivor I guess, but always in pain and not sound in any physical or mental way. I think it's very sad when a former star can't just rest and be with friends or take up reading or painting or some non ego interest. Feinstein keeps granting Liza her wish for syphilitic applause for sitting up and mumbling. It's not even sad because she so clearly craves it. What a fuckin mess of a human being. She never could sing well but she had a big voice and great performance ability. Decades ago.

[quote] Insanely not true R234. Do you ever go out into the world?

[quote] David Guest got her together enough to sing this song well. This was one of her favorite late songs. It suited her voice and range and gave her a chance to approximate a big finish like in the olden days. Except this one time, she really does it. Her voice opens up with clear dynamic power and her warbly old vibrato is not as distracting. That's all she could ever do with it, overpower it. Who cares if Guest hit Liza, she probably deserved it. I bet she beat him more.

[quote] Haha, R258. Judy was robbed blind and worked half dead for the last twenty years of her life. If she had a chance for a few dollars she managed to fuck it up. But there was no real money to be made. She sang for a hundred dollars a night at a few piano bars before she moved to London. Mama was DEAD broke. People didn't get film or record royalties back then and Judy died in considerable debt. Liza hates Judy. She would have done better to figure that out.

[quote] R259 spoke facts. Well done too. The truth IS compassion.

R259 Are you finished yet?

by Anonymousreply 277April 9, 2018 3:56 PM

Holy shit, they were all the same person? OMG!

R259 is THE loser.

by Anonymousreply 278April 10, 2018 12:03 AM

I love all of R259's posts - what an inventive and insightful mind! I don't like that ancient racist white man who posts as Miss Warwick. He's banned by DL.

by Anonymousreply 279April 10, 2018 1:00 AM

I don’t know her.

by Anonymousreply 280April 10, 2018 1:21 AM

[quote]Joan Collins “crappy” Sierra Towers apartment.

How many fucking chairs does one need in one home?

And why would anyone with money want to live in a high rise apartment in LA when you could get a small ranch with a pool and backyard?

by Anonymousreply 281April 10, 2018 1:22 AM

r281 some people would rather live in a full-service building, and some people also have security concerns so they'd rather live in an apartment building with security.

by Anonymousreply 282April 10, 2018 1:28 AM

[quote] How many fucking chairs does one need in one home? And why would anyone with money want to live in a high rise apartment in LA when you could get a small ranch with a pool and backyard?

Joan is 84.

by Anonymousreply 283April 10, 2018 1:33 AM

Most of these people travel a lot, have other homes and don't cook. It's like an expensive hotel to them.

by Anonymousreply 284April 10, 2018 6:15 AM

r259 is John Fricke.

by Anonymousreply 285April 10, 2018 11:22 PM

Broke, fat and stupid. Poor Liza. It's no way to go through life. Lucky for her, it'll be over soon.

by Anonymousreply 286April 10, 2018 11:37 PM

You should know, R286. You should know.

by Anonymousreply 287April 11, 2018 12:10 AM

I guess there's no consensus on what her financial state is. But I hope that whatever is going on with her that she's happy or at least at peace. She's worked hard all of her life and she deserves to just rest and be left alone. Whether she still drinks or drugs is none of my business. She's earned the right to live however she wants to.

by Anonymousreply 288April 11, 2018 12:26 AM

You call what she does work, R288? Really?

by Anonymousreply 289April 11, 2018 12:27 AM

I said WORKED r289. And yes she's worked very hard -- and probably partied harder. So what. If she wants to go out and perform in front of audiences or just veg out at home, more power to her I say. She's 72 and she's earned her retirement, whatever form it takes. I don't get the derision for this woman.

by Anonymousreply 290April 11, 2018 12:34 AM

Yesch, I'm happy after yearsch of work. Thanks boysch.

by Anonymousreply 291April 11, 2018 12:38 AM

I've read that Liza's favorite thing to do is sit in front of her tv, watching Turner Classic Movies and eating a bucket of KFC. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 292April 11, 2018 12:46 AM

R292 and that's OK with me. Why is it that some people have such a problem with Liza May?

by Anonymousreply 293April 11, 2018 1:53 AM

R292 And there's nothing wrong with that either. I live TCM it's better than the shit they put out today. And I'm a young person. More power to her.

There's a bunch of unhappy people on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 294April 11, 2018 2:11 AM

I think its great Liza is still clicking at 72. Considering the MANY betrayal and travesties.

by Anonymousreply 295April 11, 2018 2:49 AM

Tee-shee-em ish marveloush! Jusht lasht night I watsched "Meet Me In Shaint Louish," shtarring Mama and directed by Papa, with my closhe friendsh Sharon Shtone, Chrish Evansh, and Chrisshy Metzsh! It wash marveloush!

by Anonymousreply 296April 11, 2018 4:33 AM

Your shtick was cute about 12 years ago, R296. Time for something new.

by Anonymousreply 297April 11, 2018 3:59 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298April 11, 2018 4:11 PM

Loving Liza in Sierra Towers.

by Anonymousreply 299April 11, 2018 4:15 PM

R297 = new to Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 300April 11, 2018 4:29 PM

This is Sammy Schitlipz, Liza’s PR spokesperson. Please stop defaming Liza or we’re going to sue.

by Anonymousreply 301April 11, 2018 4:43 PM

Chrish Evansh brought the coke to Shierra Towersh!

by Anonymousreply 302April 11, 2018 4:54 PM
by Anonymousreply 303April 11, 2018 5:35 PM

Damn, it's late, I can't sleep, got to get up early and Liza in Sierra Towers has got me laughing in my recliner.

by Anonymousreply 304April 12, 2018 7:47 AM

We need a reality show called "Liza In Sierra Towers."

by Anonymousreply 305April 12, 2018 12:30 PM

Yes, but Christine Pedi plays Liza:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306April 12, 2018 1:07 PM

Lizscha in Shierra Towersh! I love it boysch- thanksh.

by Anonymousreply 307April 12, 2018 1:23 PM

I yike blue.

by Anonymousreply 308April 12, 2018 1:27 PM

I remember reading that Liza wanted "rehearsals" during production of her ill-fated reality show with David Gest. Something about "reality" didn't compute with her.

by Anonymousreply 309April 12, 2018 3:27 PM

In all seriousness, I think spending an afternoon with Liza just hanging out and listening to her tell stories about her insane life would be a great time.

by Anonymousreply 310April 12, 2018 4:17 PM

If Liza can afford a digs at the shockingly overpriced Sierra Towers, she ain’t poor!

by Anonymousreply 311April 12, 2018 4:23 PM

R310. An hour would probably be sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 312April 12, 2018 4:26 PM

I have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 313April 12, 2018 4:31 PM

They say Liza shops at Ralphs on Beverly and Doheny. Diana Ross shops at Bristol Farms across the street. Maybe they should meet up and shop together so they could discuss the time Liza won the Oscar over Diana.

by Anonymousreply 314April 12, 2018 4:54 PM

I love it, R306.

See, R296, that's the difference between wit and played out.

by Anonymousreply 315April 12, 2018 5:00 PM

If she's able to stay awake that long, R312.

by Anonymousreply 316April 12, 2018 5:25 PM

r315 takes her Liza threads very seriously!

by Anonymousreply 317April 12, 2018 6:30 PM

Does Liza drive a scooter at Ralphs?

by Anonymousreply 318April 12, 2018 6:40 PM

5 and a half million for 1200 square feet. Unreal.

by Anonymousreply 319April 12, 2018 6:46 PM

Excoosh me. Where can i find the vasheline and wet wipesh?

by Anonymousreply 320April 12, 2018 6:59 PM

Does Ralph's sell clay?

by Anonymousreply 321April 12, 2018 7:44 PM

Ralphsch??? I scchop at Gelshon's.

by Anonymousreply 322April 13, 2018 12:15 AM

“Something about "reality" didn't compute with her.”

Dummy, don’t you know that “reality” shows are scripted and rehearsed?

by Anonymousreply 323April 13, 2018 12:42 AM

[R323] I don't watch reality TV. I leave that to idiots like you.

by Anonymousreply 324April 13, 2018 12:55 AM

Let'sh do shome more linesh and watcsh one of Mama'sh filmsh!

by Anonymousreply 325April 13, 2018 1:39 AM

She needs to write a book!!

by Anonymousreply 326April 13, 2018 1:44 AM

R326 She's illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 327April 13, 2018 1:50 AM

r327 you're a master asshole.

by Anonymousreply 328April 13, 2018 2:06 AM

Better than being a wannabe like you, R328.

by Anonymousreply 329April 13, 2018 2:08 AM

Just block r329.so it disappears into DL deep space. Its an insipid interloper .

by Anonymousreply 330April 13, 2018 2:29 AM

I don't ushually schop. Thersch a liquor schtore on Shunset that deliversch, with a Jewish deli next schtore.

by Anonymousreply 331April 13, 2018 5:44 AM

Her favorite Spice Girl is Rosemary Harris...lol.

by Anonymousreply 332April 13, 2018 6:09 AM

R326 - Liza really does need to write a book, can you image her stories?! But I do recall her on Larry King where she said that she'd never write a book because she didn't have respect for people who wrote tell all's... or something like that. She was Hollywood royalty and grew up around so many famous people, at least she could have a netflix doc or something.

by Anonymousreply 333April 13, 2018 8:57 AM

Her pussy broke...but I believe she [italic]herself[/italic] is solvent.

by Anonymousreply 334April 13, 2018 9:03 AM

Liza was registered Republican in NYC. Old fashioned type. Wonder how she registered in California? Btw I think she'd make the perfect beard for Michael Grimm on Staten Island.

by Anonymousreply 335April 13, 2018 9:52 AM

Liza can't come out with a book because she never tells the truth about anyone or anything. But for a brief time - the first time she got sober, she did a few interviews where she was more honest about Mama, herself and her insane drive to please. She's pretty clear here, almost candid. Not the caricature LIZA with all the inappropriate laughing and louche posing. She's also not the drooling wet brain affliction she's become in the last decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336April 13, 2018 10:34 AM

So Liza has been in and of AA. I would be interested in hearing some details about that.

by Anonymousreply 337April 13, 2018 1:00 PM

She's got a permanent room at The Betty.

by Anonymousreply 338April 13, 2018 1:03 PM

Liza Minnelli “Lies my mother told me: A Hollywood Myth”

It would sell like hot cakes

by Anonymousreply 339April 13, 2018 1:16 PM

She'd certainly be mine as well, r332.

by Anonymousreply 340April 13, 2018 2:30 PM

I dunno, R327. She's reading in the video in R306.

by Anonymousreply 341April 13, 2018 2:33 PM

Liza should buy the penthouse and turn it into Studio 54 LA!

by Anonymousreply 342April 13, 2018 2:40 PM

Liza Minnelli interviewed by Ruby Wax. Regardless of how much money she made, that's a lot of chemicals in this lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343April 13, 2018 4:21 PM

I shta y in Room 218 at The Betty becaush I like to watch the ducksh.

by Anonymousreply 344April 13, 2018 4:43 PM

Liza had the best acting teacher in the world - her mother. When she realized that she was no Streisand vocally, she decided to become a storyteller instead of a true singer, and boom, her star took off. (You can watch her try to imitate Streisand early in her career, around her FLORA stage.)

by Anonymousreply 345April 13, 2018 5:36 PM

Even in the Ruby clip Lisa shows her acting chops. She really is a very good actress.

by Anonymousreply 346April 13, 2018 5:49 PM

[quote]Is Liza Broke?

Was she ever whole?

by Anonymousreply 347April 13, 2018 5:51 PM

"From the waisht down I'm the tin mansh daughter!"

by Anonymousreply 348April 13, 2018 5:54 PM

R345 = charlie?

by Anonymousreply 349April 13, 2018 6:18 PM

[quote]Even in the Ruby clip Lisa shows her acting chops. She really is a very good actress.

She would have been great in the Sopranos as somebody's Italian-American aunt.

by Anonymousreply 350April 13, 2018 6:44 PM

Oh yes. But she would have held up production every damn day.

by Anonymousreply 351April 13, 2018 7:30 PM

I could have been Ginny Shacksh shishter.

by Anonymousreply 352April 13, 2018 7:34 PM

Liza has always been a dreadful actress. She can play approximations of herself like Pookie or Sally Bowles but try her anywhere else and she's terrible. She's a tough performer to slot as an actress because she's a singer, yet she is constantly being put into leading roles. Unlike Streisand, her features are not interesting, they're just homely and she makes a ridiculous romantic leading lady. As an actress, just like as a singer, she comes at you like a treadless tank. She's more a Carol Burnett type and could have had a career as the gawky, loud and uncouth best friend who is desperate for love and attention but it would have meant acknowledging her physical shortcomings. Her performance in "A Matter of Time" was so bad that it pretty much killed her Hollywood career.

If Liza really understood what she was conveying here, she might have been hilarious, on purpose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353April 13, 2018 7:52 PM

I agree that wasn't the greatest actress and her type was hard to cast, but she's perfectly fine in NYNY and Arthur. She 's compelling. When she's in a scene the focus in on her.

by Anonymousreply 354April 13, 2018 8:15 PM

* is on her.

by Anonymousreply 355April 13, 2018 8:16 PM

R354, in Arthur, she was used as a joke, the low class, homely girl who gets the ugly rich guy. So I agree, she was perfectly fine.

The best performance I ever saw her give was on "The Muppet Show" where she was surprisingly tender and likable.

by Anonymousreply 356April 13, 2018 8:22 PM

On the other hand, Liza was capable of doing things that other performers can only ever dream of doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357April 13, 2018 8:25 PM

[quote]Unlike Streisand....

One thing of sure, Streisand could never do this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358April 13, 2018 8:33 PM

[quote]Unlike Streisand, her features are not interesting,

Liza wasn't pretty but her looks were like a logo, a brand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359April 13, 2018 8:44 PM

Why doesn't that bitch AnnE get Liza a role as her grandmother in some movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360April 13, 2018 8:51 PM

AnnE is old enough to be Liza's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 361April 13, 2018 9:01 PM

Even more so then, R361. AnnE goes on and on about loving the theater and Broadway and all that shit so why not help out and get to work with Liza the legend before it's too late?

by Anonymousreply 362April 13, 2018 9:03 PM

Yes, R358, as soon as I hit Post, I realized the other huge difference between Liza and Barbra - the amazing dancing.

by Anonymousreply 363April 13, 2018 9:36 PM

Liza has a certain appeal onstage, granted. Just like Channing or Merman but it doesn't translate anywhere else. That sort of in-your-face approach sends you running to the lobby on the wide screen. The drag queens love her but she has little attraction to the heterosexual male community as her choice of husbands can attest. As an Oscar winner, her film career has been pretty much a disaster and even though she's a singer, she had no hit records to speak of She once said the only Gold Record she had was for singing backup to Alice Cooper.

Check out R353 to see the amazing dancing.

by Anonymousreply 364April 13, 2018 9:38 PM

[quote]Liza has a certain appeal onstage, granted. Just like Channing or Merman but it doesn't translate anywhere else.

I guess you didn't see Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 365April 13, 2018 9:51 PM

[quote]Liza has a certain appeal onstage, granted. Just like Channing or Merman but it doesn't translate anywhere else.

*sigh*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366April 13, 2018 9:57 PM

You mention Liza and Babs in the same sentence and you state Liza's the homely one? Oh, honey.

by Anonymousreply 367April 13, 2018 10:04 PM

I love that clip of me doing City Lightsch. Thosch were the daysch!

by Anonymousreply 368April 13, 2018 10:10 PM

[quote] Liza has a certain appeal onstage, granted. Just like Channing or Merman but it doesn't translate anywhere else.

Poor thing. She should pack up and go back home to mama because she'll never amount to very much.

by Anonymousreply 369April 13, 2018 10:35 PM

[quote]But for a brief time - the first time she got sober, she did a few interviews where she was more honest about Mama, herself and her insane drive to please. She's pretty clear here, almost candid. Not the caricature LIZA with all the inappropriate laughing and louche posing. She's also not the drooling wet brain affliction she's become in the last decade.

Liza was in a good place from the mid 80's to the mid 90's. She did rehab, she was sober, she lost some weight, and she tried a big screen comeback and changing up her image with a dance record that went gangbusters in Britain but not in the US, despite a huge promotional blitz for it . She also tried starting a family with Mark Gero, but it didn't work out.

The problem is that Liza feels that people will only accept the Fosse-esque era Minnelli. Much like how Lucy thought she could only be Ms. Ricardo to the public. With escalating health problems and a disastrous stint in Victor/Victoria, with a costar who was horrible to her, by the late 90's, she was in a worse place than she was before she went to Betty Ford. Gest got her back on track, and looking great again, but it was a mess of a relationship.

Her acting abilities are also underrated. Unlike Streisand, Liza isn't worried about how the audience perceives her. Liza's done some interesting work that has gone unnoticed by the general public. She did a Law and Order where she played a Patsy Ramsey type character, and it was a stunning portrayal of a cold hearted calculating bitch,. Streisand would never. This is why Minnelli would have been the perfect Rose, because she would have gone all the way. Streisand would make Rose out to be an even bigger victim than June. Liza's also done amazing in-Liza like work in TV movies like Private Lives, West Side Waltz and one she did with Corey Haim in the mid 80's/

Minnelli gets a lot of shit but she's a kind woman who pokes fun of herself and is in on the joke more than you think.

by Anonymousreply 370April 13, 2018 11:03 PM

Love her! Even though she stood me up twice in London.

by Anonymousreply 371April 13, 2018 11:08 PM

r370 - "...it was a stunning portrayal of a cold hearted calculating bitch."

You and I saw two VERY different L&O Criminal Intents if you saw the character or the way she played her like that.

by Anonymousreply 372April 13, 2018 11:16 PM

DL'ers always point to Cabaret and Liza with a Z but if anything, it proves it was Fosse who created her. It's clear that every starring role she's done on TV and in the films without him have been flops. Minnelli is okay on film in small doses.

R370, she doesn't care about how the audiences perceives her? That is one of the most wrong headed statements about her performing persona I've ever heard. Everything she does is calculated for the love of the audience. She can't help herself. When you see her, she's begging for love, understanding, acceptance and help.

by Anonymousreply 373April 13, 2018 11:19 PM

Which is how she played that character in Law and Order CI, r373.

by Anonymousreply 374April 13, 2018 11:22 PM

The "Fosse made her" line is tiresome. She was an Academy award, Tony nominated actress and well known singer before she did Cabaret. Cabaret gave her an added level of success, but it did not make her career. Talk about wrongheaded statements.

Her performance persona is different from her acting persona. On screen, she's not afraid to take risks and have the audience be turned off by her Regardless of what you think of her L and O performance, she was not afraid to be a villain. Streisand and Midler wouldn't have dared to take such a role (Midler had a shit fit over being offered Misery). And Streisand doesn't do anything that doesn't make her look glamorous and have the audience rooting for her at all times.

THIS is how you do a telephone scene. Not spend the entire scene with your hand over your face because you're afraid people will think you look unattractive sobbing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375April 13, 2018 11:41 PM

I dunno, R350. I'd prefer Kay Armen in the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376April 13, 2018 11:43 PM

R375, it's clear she has never approached the level of success she had with Fosse on TV and film. Flat out fact. Fosse had that skill in that he even made Reinking bearable in All That Jazz. She was not a famous singer in that she never had a hit record before or after Cabaret. Her performance of "What's New Pussycat" at the Oscars ranks with Reinking as one of the worst performances ever on that telecast.

She has never shown any range and it wasn't an insult saying that she always wanted the audiences to love her. Just an observation and if anything, I suspect that's why her fans are so drawn to her. They sense her naked desire to connect with them. I did see L&O and thought it was a sorrowful moment from a woman without a trace of acting talent. Don't think she cares what people think? Remember HSN?

Caller: It was a great thrill Liza: It was thrilling to talk to you and I'll remember it.

Caller: You're my mentor Liza: You're my mentor, too.

That's fairly desperate.

by Anonymousreply 377April 14, 2018 12:43 AM

Who wants audiences to hate them?

by Anonymousreply 378April 14, 2018 6:00 AM

Liza's begging for audience love is her hallmark. That's why Kristen Wiig parodied her breaking into a Fosse move everytime someone turned on a lamp or opened a car door. Liza lives for the applause and she worked hard for it. It's what people admired or mocked her for when she was famous and what made her so pathetic when her talent and ability were gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379April 14, 2018 6:20 AM

Only a woman unable to give up the limelight would shit all over herself in public the way Liza does. And charge people to see it. Glad she made it to California. There are worse places to die.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380April 14, 2018 6:49 AM

I think Liza has always been an inventive and brave actress with untapped comic chops. I'd say her performance as the other Lucille (Lucille Austero) on"Arrested Development" is brilliant to any actor who has ever played comedy. It's shockingly funny and truly comic.

by Anonymousreply 381April 14, 2018 7:11 AM

Academy Awards: The Sterile Cuckoo- nominated....Cabaret - won

British Academy of Film and Television Arts: Most Promising Newcomer to Leading Film Roles: The Sterile Cuckoo- nominated.......best actress: Cabaret - won

Golden Globes film: nominated for: The Sterile Cuckoo, Lucky Lady, New York, New York, Arthur....Cabaret - won

Golden Globes TV: A Time to Live - won

Emmy Awards: Liza with a Z - won.... Goldie and Liza Together - nominated

Screen Actors Guild Awards: Arrested Development - nominated

Grammy Awards: Gently, Liza's at The Palace...! - nominated

Plus: 4 Tony Awards

by Anonymousreply 382April 14, 2018 11:45 AM

Oh snap!

by Anonymousreply 383April 14, 2018 11:52 AM

Liza has been reading this thread and has taken to even more pills and liquor!

by Anonymousreply 384April 14, 2018 12:22 PM

Is " liza in Sierra Towers" the new "Jackie on assistance" curious.

by Anonymousreply 385April 14, 2018 1:10 PM

Liza, PSB and Sondheim. It's like a triple-headed dildo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386April 14, 2018 1:16 PM

It's the Shierra Towersh!

by Anonymousreply 387April 14, 2018 1:18 PM

Idiot posted at R378.

by Anonymousreply 388April 14, 2018 1:22 PM

Youtube clip of Liza performing wit Pet Shop Boys is wonderful. Sorry, this is a new Fire tablet so i have to figure out how to provide links

Liza in glittering black looking, moving fantastically. Oh to revisit 1989.

by Anonymousreply 389April 14, 2018 1:36 PM

Dentally inclines people, tell me about Liza's teeth. They used to be so big she could barely keep her mouth closed (below). They've been changed - small crowns or full upper plate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390April 14, 2018 1:56 PM

Liza is, was and always will be a star. You want traditional beauty, go watch a soap. Or those bland CW starlets.

by Anonymousreply 391April 14, 2018 3:30 PM

[quote]You mention Liza and Babs in the same sentence and you state Liza's the homely one? Oh, honey.

Oh honey, Liza never looked this good in her life. EVER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392April 14, 2018 3:35 PM

R382, Liza definitely can play herself well as she did in Cabaret and Sterile Cuckoo. And she did brilliantly with Fosse. Onstage she has great charisma but that skill is very much singular. It does not travel well and her lack of success in records, TV and movies proves it.

by Anonymousreply 393April 14, 2018 3:43 PM

I bet Liza voted for Trump on the grounds that "he's an old friend."

by Anonymousreply 394April 14, 2018 3:50 PM

Her lack of success in movies had more to do with changing tastes as well as her own poor choices. New York New York is a mess, but she gives her best musical performances in that movie. She got great reviews for Arthur. But by the 80's, the type of movies she was perfect for were no longer in vogue.

She would have been perfect with Goldie in Chicago. And next to Garland, she would have made the definitive Rose in Gypsy. Not Streisand. But they weren't making those kinds of musicals in the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 395April 14, 2018 3:50 PM

R385, no she’s the new Jan Maxwell’s ghost haunting her unfairly subsidized digs in Manhattan Plaza!

by Anonymousreply 396April 14, 2018 5:54 PM

R395, Streisand's star ascended higher during that period by branching out. Yentl would have to be one of the most unlikely box office successes ever. But there is really no type of movie Liza was perfect for because her brand of physical unattractiveness was not leading lady quality.

by Anonymousreply 397April 15, 2018 12:22 AM

Streisand did three movies in the eighties. And Yentl was the only box office hit, in spit of mediocre reviews and several Razzie nominations.

by Anonymousreply 398April 15, 2018 12:43 AM

There is not much need to decipher it. Liza was very lucky to get any door open to film. She was too specific looking and acting and speaking to surprise beyond her debut. She was also far too deformed looking to succeed beyond that crazy weird period and one film wonder. She can't wear normal hair or clothes, she had an affliction that she turned into style for stage and life. Not for screen where you have to put on the damn costumes and try to speak like a real human being. Good for her. If people really knew that Cabaret was her whole act and all there was for the next 40 years they would have given the Oscar to the much more deserving and multi-talented Diana Ross. Liza is a chanteuse, a singer who acts out her songs. She did it pretty well from the old clips I've seen, but it's still corny on video. Probably a good night out 30 years ago. Bernadette Peters, Shirley Bassey and Bette Midler did similar things at least as well, but only LIZA has her particular frequency and wattage. Give an old bitch her due. She was not a great singer or a great actress but she was a pretty great singing actress. Good sequins and light and production too. My father called her Little Orphan Judy.

by Anonymousreply 399April 15, 2018 12:48 AM

R398, Streisand also won the Golden Globe for Best Director for Yentl. Minnelli did three films, both Arthurs and Rent a Cop, none of which she held the lead, yet she still WON the Razzie for back to back bombs. No Golden Globes for Liza. Streisand's "The Broadway Album" and "Guilty" two vastly different genres, were unqualified successes. Liza did "Results" her first record in 12 years and peaked at 128 in the States and it was one of her biggest records ever at that dismal number.

by Anonymousreply 400April 15, 2018 1:01 AM

R397 Neither Liza nor Barbra nor Bette are great beauties but Barbra and Bette (more so than Barbra thanks to her Disney deal) had solid film careers while Liza slipped through the cracks after her initial success.

Was it a Jewish thing where Hollywood pushed Barbra and Bette more than the non-Jewish Liza? Not being anti-Semitic. Just trying to figure out a reason why three women of similar quirky looks and talent in the same era would end up in such different places career-wise.

by Anonymousreply 401April 15, 2018 1:02 AM

Liza won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a made for TV movie in 1986. She was also awarded a Grammy Legend Award the same year she released Results, and several years before Streisand got hers.

by Anonymousreply 402April 15, 2018 1:15 AM

R400, don't you fucking realize that winning wards means NOTHING 30 years later?

by Anonymousreply 403April 15, 2018 1:45 AM

You can't compare Barbra's career to anyone else's, she's in a class by herself. She and Liza are very different performers.

All things considered, Liza did very well with what she had. As another poster stated, Liza, like her mother, was born for musicals. Unfortunately musicals were not being made in the 70s and 80s (Cabaret was a fluke, as was New York New York) so Liza didn't have much of an outlet in films. If musicals were still being made on a regular basis in the 70s and 80s, Liza would've been a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 404April 15, 2018 2:08 AM

R403, then you would know that Liza's awards mean nothing 30 years later. Still, Streisand's career in that era and overall has far surpassed Liza's.

But speaking of which, why did Liza get an honorary Grammy for being a Living Legend. I can see a Tony designation but she's never been a recording artist of note. Never even had a hit record. When you see that other winners who came after her, i.e Streisand, Sinatra, Franklin, Cash, M. Jackson, etc. it is an absolute joke she was given that award. Then again, Andrew Lloyd Weber got it the same year so who knows what the academy was thinking.

by Anonymousreply 405April 15, 2018 2:13 AM

I will give Lisa with a Z credit for "Arthur" It was a funny low key performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406April 15, 2018 2:17 AM

[quote]R70 With escalating health problems and a disastrous stint in Victor/Victoria, with a costar who was horrible to her,

Where are there threads about this? Don't want to make you repeat it all...but wondering what THAT was all about!

by Anonymousreply 407April 15, 2018 2:24 AM

She was freaking hilarious in Arthur going toe to toe with Sir John Gielgud.. “I’ll be with ya in a minute.”

by Anonymousreply 408April 15, 2018 3:26 AM

She was a great comedienne.

by Anonymousreply 409April 15, 2018 4:12 AM

[quote]She was a great comedienne.

On QVC.

by Anonymousreply 410April 15, 2018 4:16 AM

R392 That is photo-shopped to death and it still looks like a bloody ant eater. Liza has always been far more attractive. Ultimately a matter of personal preference of course, but come on.

by Anonymousreply 411April 15, 2018 7:23 AM

I saw Minnelli in Flora the Red Menace. fine, not great.

by Anonymousreply 412April 15, 2018 8:43 AM

"Was it a Jewish thing where Hollywood pushed Barbra and Bette more than the non-Jewish Liza? "

Are you kidding? If anything, the reverse is true. Even Streisand's fan base is not Jewish. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard a Jew tell me they don't like Streisand because she's "too Jewish," I could buy a 1978 VW Beetle.

by Anonymousreply 413April 15, 2018 2:43 PM

I went to one of Barbra's farewell concerts. The arena smelled like latkes and partrami.

by Anonymousreply 414April 15, 2018 3:05 PM

partrami???

by Anonymousreply 415April 15, 2018 3:16 PM

Barbra had Marty on her side from the beginning and Marty really believed Barbra would make it. With Marty she got the biggerst deals and the highest salaries. Barbra has never let anyone to forget she is from hunble even poor family. She knows what it feels being poor and has handled her money and finances carefully. Big difference with Liza.

by Anonymousreply 416April 15, 2018 3:33 PM

R416 Barbra also isn't a drug fiend.

by Anonymousreply 417April 15, 2018 4:27 PM

[quote]That is photo-shopped to death and it still looks like a bloody ant eater. Liza has always been far more attractive. Ultimately a matter of personal preference of course, but come on.

That isn't Photoshopped you ninny, it's a screen grab from her movie "What's Up Doc?"

by Anonymousreply 418April 15, 2018 4:50 PM

Bitsch wouldn't let me schop in her mall!

by Anonymousreply 419April 15, 2018 4:50 PM

R416, don't forget Liza has taken more drugs and alcohol to knock out several nations. That shit ain't cheap.

by Anonymousreply 420April 15, 2018 5:30 PM

R416, Streisand was middle class, not poor. Liza's mother was usually broke and skipped out of hotels without paying. It isn't a "poor vs rich" dynamic, more a "can vs can't manage money" thing. Btw, Marty Erlichman is rarely involved in Bab's career anymore, he's 88 and failing.

by Anonymousreply 421April 15, 2018 6:36 PM

Barbra was not middle class honey. Part of the reason she buys everything in sight. Poor.

by Anonymousreply 422April 15, 2018 6:49 PM

I do too, R422, and I grew up way upper middle class in Greenwich CT.

by Anonymousreply 423April 15, 2018 6:55 PM

[quote]But speaking of which, why did Liza get an honorary Grammy for being a Living Legend. I can see a Tony designation but she's never been a recording artist of note. Never even had a hit record. When you see that other winners who came after her, i.e Streisand, Sinatra, Franklin, Cash, M. Jackson, etc. it is an absolute joke she was given that award

No worse than Streisand's "Star of the decade" Tony that was given out that one time only. For one show that she didn't even win the Tony for.

by Anonymousreply 424April 15, 2018 6:58 PM

If Barbra's family couldn't afford to even buy her a doll, that doesn't sound so middle class.

by Anonymousreply 425April 15, 2018 7:02 PM

R424, Streisand is a Star of the Decade. Liza hasn't even had a hit record and got a Grammy Living Legend award.

by Anonymousreply 426April 15, 2018 7:05 PM

R425, she didn't HAVE A DOLL, it doesn't mean her family couldn't afford one. I wanted a cowboy hat and I didn't get one, they gave me socks.

by Anonymousreply 427April 15, 2018 7:08 PM

Babs was poor as shit, borderline poverty. Dad was dead, mom had a crappy secretary job. Let's not change history. Even when the mom remarried, it was to a used-car saleman and they lived in federally- funded housing.

by Anonymousreply 428April 15, 2018 7:17 PM

[quote]Streisand is a Star of the Decade.

One show does not equate to being a Broadway star of the decade. At least with Liza, hers wasn't some made up award that they gave to her only.

Streisand fans lose all credibility when they shine even the most obtuse turds in the punchbowl. What's next, a cinematic analysis as to the brilliance of Mirror has two faces?

by Anonymousreply 429April 15, 2018 7:17 PM

Why exactly was Streisand ever mentioned here? Every celeb thread doesn’t need a dose of insert your favorites name was bigger and better. There are artists who are/were bigger and better and there are /were artist who were not. For most artist that goes without saying. Who gives a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 430April 15, 2018 7:33 PM

R422. Yep. Barbra has admitted in multiple interviews that she preferred men who were interested in taking her out back in her salad days would take her out to dinner (so she could eat) rather than a bar. She wanted the free food. Not the way a middle class girl would think. She has a poor girl mindset.

by Anonymousreply 431April 15, 2018 7:41 PM

R430 Barbra's name was brought up (along with Bette's) because we were wondering why three singer/actresses with quirky looks who all came up at the same time would have such differing levels of career. The Jewish girls (Barbra and Bette) succeeded. The gentile girl (Liza) failed.

by Anonymousreply 432April 15, 2018 7:44 PM
by Anonymousreply 433April 15, 2018 8:07 PM

r431, r432, r433

by Anonymousreply 434April 15, 2018 8:10 PM

Liza Loons never had any credibility to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 435April 15, 2018 8:13 PM

R432, Liza did not "fail", the otehr ladies sustained their career for a longer time by taking better care of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 436April 15, 2018 8:13 PM

R436 Compared to her talent, Liza failed. Bette and Barbra both played the leads in numerous studio films, had numerous hit records, had big successes on Broadway, sold out massive concerts (I remember either Bette or Barbara taking in $60 million after one concert tour about a decade and a half ago). Liza never had a fraction of that success.

by Anonymousreply 437April 15, 2018 9:08 PM

Barbra and Bette succeeded because they weren’t drunk and drugged-out for years at a time like Liza.

by Anonymousreply 438April 15, 2018 9:17 PM

EVERYONE HAS "salad days" r431. Not so much a "poor girl mindset," because everyone under the sun was in the same situation. Streisand didn't admit that rather than promoted it. And it wasn't "men," it was interviewers.

by Anonymousreply 439April 15, 2018 11:50 PM

ICON

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440April 16, 2018 12:16 AM

r437

by Anonymousreply 441April 16, 2018 3:26 AM

Nostalgia from 1997, good article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442April 16, 2018 6:21 PM

There are so many celebs in Sierra Towers its like a dorm for fallen showgirls.

by Anonymousreply 443April 20, 2018 3:44 AM

I see on the list of Sierra Towers celebs, there's Nino Tempo.

When he was young he sure was a hottie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444April 20, 2018 12:17 PM

Nino Tempo was hot as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445April 20, 2018 12:20 PM

R433, not since Elton moved out!

by Anonymousreply 446April 20, 2018 2:32 PM

I wonder how Lorna's doing with her cancer. There hasn't been any news.

by Anonymousreply 447April 20, 2018 4:02 PM

Love both Lorna and Liza and hope Lorna is doing okay. Even though I think Liza is iconic in Cabaret, I thought Lorna had the better voice/more talent and just never found the right vehicle or had the right handlers the way Liza did with Fosse back in the day. Though, she herself admits she blew her prime years out the window partying and by the time she sobered up she was 30 and then all she got were a couple of Allan Carr films.

by Anonymousreply 448April 20, 2018 4:10 PM

Yes, Lorna has admitted she was having way too much fun in the 70s and her career got sidelined as a result. When she got sober, it was the mid-80s, she was in her 30s and her time had passed.

by Anonymousreply 449April 20, 2018 4:11 PM

Hi Boysch! What are your weekend plansch? I'm thinking of having friendsh wheel me down to the Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 450April 20, 2018 4:53 PM

Liza was an ugly duckling, but she made her looks work. But there was little hope for Lorna.

by Anonymousreply 451April 20, 2018 5:09 PM

Lorna's looks were always blah and frauish. Kael described Liza's looks as being awkward but when she sings, everything falls together.

by Anonymousreply 452April 20, 2018 6:04 PM

I remember seeing Lorna on a Kup's Show around 1973 trying to carve out her legend. She had this oh-so-serious look on her overly made up face, telling the others that her own singing voice is "not like Liza's, not like Barbra's." I turned her off right there and then.

by Anonymousreply 453April 20, 2018 6:36 PM

Lorna looks waaay too much like her father. Liza has the magic of her Mother AND Father.

by Anonymousreply 454April 20, 2018 6:42 PM

R452, I'd like to see that quote. It sounds more like she's talking about Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 455April 20, 2018 9:13 PM

Pauline Kael - The New Yorker, February 19, 1972

[quote] Liza Minnelli makes you believe in the cabaret as "life" because she comes fully to life only when she sings. The features that seemed too large for her face suddenly fit. Her cherry lips and unnaturally bright eyes are no longer wild makeup; they belong to her performer's face. And her movements have speed and tension. Her desperation and Sally's are fused together; when a singer is belting it out, how can one separate the performer from the role? Liza Minnelli is a fine, if slightly overeager actress and inventive, appealing comedienne, but only when she sings is she a star: she's charged to give all she's got....

by Anonymousreply 456April 20, 2018 9:51 PM

Lorna has been adequate in terms of carrying a tune and hitting the high notes when I've seen her perform in the UK, but she hasn't got "it" as Liza does. Liza is a Star!

by Anonymousreply 457April 20, 2018 10:27 PM

Thanks, R456! I love that.

by Anonymousreply 458April 20, 2018 10:39 PM

I love Lorna!

by Anonymousreply 459April 21, 2018 12:07 AM

I think Lorna's brain tumor was benign. She posted on her facebook page a few weeks back that she will make a full recovery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460April 21, 2018 12:16 AM

Liza made her impact on live performing. She spent a forty year career playing to sold out audiences. She held the record for most sold out shows at Radio City before Bette broke it in 1993. She was also a major star on Broadway for several decades. She won four Tony awards for her work. Meryl said she was a major inspiration on her career. Jay Z thanked her from the stage at one of his rap shows where she was an invited guest, calling her one of the great talents of the modern era.

And sorry, but Streisand a music and recording star. As a live act, her legacy pales to Midler and Minnelli. Doing a hundred concerts within the last fifty years is hardly an achievement.

by Anonymousreply 461April 21, 2018 1:00 AM

R460, that's a nice thought, but Lorna's brain cancer is her breast cancer returned and metastasized to her brain. If she lasts another year it'll be a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 462April 21, 2018 1:57 AM

R461, Streisand's concerts were events. Minnelli's were gang bangs.

by Anonymousreply 463April 21, 2018 1:59 AM

r463 never went to a Liza concert, it appears.

by Anonymousreply 464April 21, 2018 2:00 AM

You say gang bang like it's a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 465April 21, 2018 2:04 AM

I'll add my two cents: Liza was an astounding concert performer. She had the ability to do what I've only seen three other live performers do (Pavoratti, Domingo, and Nathan Lane) -- bring the audience to their feet, en masse and simultaneously, in the middle of a song. Each of those performers has an understanding with the audience, namely, the audience comes knowing what they will get, the artist delivers, and the crowd goes wild. It was great to be part of and to witness. I first saw Liza in concert in 1977 at the Latin Casino in southern New Jersey, and then many times since, most recently around 2013 in Westbury, LI. As a concert performer, she reached a peak in 1980 at Carnegie Hall, when she dropped her awkward, gawky persona and re-emerged as a controlled, stylish singer/performer. Throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, she was consistently excellent. In later years, after her 1995 vocal chord surgery, she did not have the same vocal control, although she continued to be a polished (and entertaining) performer.

by Anonymousreply 466April 21, 2018 2:13 AM

We HEART this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467April 21, 2018 9:17 AM

Profiles in History takes forever to list the items online. They want to sell the catalog first. They were the ones who did Debbie's costumes. They had a reality show where the creepy owner was always getting joy ( and a commission of course) by selling this memorabilia. He claims to love this stuff but all he's interested in is selling it to someone else. Here he is with The Ruby Slippers, it's his favorite movie, calls them The Holy Grail, searched for years for them but not for himself. Weird.

So we don't know everything in the auction yet, but if Liza is selling her Warhol's wouldn't it be better if she sold those through Christie's or a real art house?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468April 21, 2018 10:28 AM

The shoes she wore at The Palace in 1967 looked very silmilar to the ruby slippers, did anyone notice?

by Anonymousreply 469April 21, 2018 10:52 AM

I saw Liza in the "The Act".

It was the oddest show... with Liza on stage full time doing one exhausting "showstopper" after another.

It really made you wonder "what were they thinking?"

It doubt even a Donna McKechnie or Gwen Verdon in their prime could have done that show 8 times a week.

Liza quickly began missing performances and there was rumour about her vocals being lip-synched.

I remember finding the show to be rather trashy. It seemed to be fueled by ritalin, cocaine, and poppers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470April 21, 2018 12:32 PM

[quote]It really made you wonder "what were they thinking?"

They were thinking they could charge $25 a ticket which was the highest on Broadway at the time.

by Anonymousreply 471April 21, 2018 1:13 PM

Liza's costumes are on exhibit at the Paley Center in Beverly Hills for anyone interested. It's free.

by Anonymousreply 472April 21, 2018 1:24 PM

Liza needs to write a tel all book. I just assume she doesn't for fear of Lorna.

by Anonymousreply 473April 21, 2018 2:55 PM

Nathan Lane???

by Anonymousreply 474April 21, 2018 2:58 PM

Liza, Bette, Barbra. Classic off the shelf gays

by Anonymousreply 475April 21, 2018 3:06 PM

For fear of Lorna, R473? Didn't Lorna already write a tell-all?

by Anonymousreply 476April 21, 2018 3:16 PM

"I saw Liza in the "The Act".

I cried when my Mother, Aunt and Grandmother went to see Liza and left me home with my father and brothers. I was born in 1964, so I gess I was 12 or 13. My Mother brought me home the program book, which eased my pain and I still have it.

I subsequently saw Liza perform over 20 times though. I have every program and of course I bought the New York Magazine. In fact I sold one of my extra copies on EBAY.

I am also the guy who pre-ordered the hardcover, which I have not yet received.

by Anonymousreply 477April 21, 2018 3:24 PM

There was a time when nobody could touch her....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478April 21, 2018 3:36 PM

R478 Not Barbra, not even Bette, could have pulled that off.

by Anonymousreply 479April 21, 2018 4:45 PM

Has anyone read this? (I haven't)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480April 21, 2018 4:50 PM

[quote]Not Barbra, not even Bette, could have pulled that off.

Barbra didn't need sequins and dancers to distract. She just stood there and sang and enraptured the audience.

by Anonymousreply 481April 21, 2018 5:31 PM

Liza singing The World Goes Round in the 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482April 21, 2018 5:33 PM

This may be sacrilege but in that city lights number she surpasses her mother!

by Anonymousreply 483April 21, 2018 5:33 PM

I misch the Scheventiesch!

by Anonymousreply 484April 21, 2018 5:36 PM

[quote]Barbra didn't need sequins and dancers to distract. She just stood there and sang and enraptured the audience.

Liza could do that too.

by Anonymousreply 485April 21, 2018 5:46 PM

BS Barbra used lighting, echo. All kinds of tricks when she performed live.

by Anonymousreply 486April 21, 2018 6:14 PM

Mitzi Gaynor could have done City Lights as could Joey Heatherton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487April 21, 2018 6:16 PM

[quote] Barbra didn't need sequins and dancers to distract. She just stood there and sang and enraptured the audience.

If she had the right color microphone.

by Anonymousreply 488April 21, 2018 6:18 PM

R487 That number is awfully lame and it requires non of the skill Liza shows in "City Lights". And besides it's a pre-recorded TV production with a lip synched vocal and cuts. It can't be compared to a live stage show.

This is Gaynor in a live production number. She's sensational... but didn't have the voice to do a number like City Lights. Nor did Joey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489April 21, 2018 6:46 PM

R489, Liza lipsynched her way through The Act.

by Anonymousreply 490April 21, 2018 7:58 PM

My Mother dragged me, literally dragged me to see Mitzi Gaynor at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island as a kid. I had absolutely no idea who she was. All I remember is blond hair, orange skin and sequins.

by Anonymousreply 491April 21, 2018 8:08 PM

R489 She's not lipsynching at R478

by Anonymousreply 492April 21, 2018 8:08 PM

I meant to write: [R490] Liza's not lipsynching at [R478]

by Anonymousreply 493April 21, 2018 8:10 PM

But she DID lipsynch in "The Act" including that number.

by Anonymousreply 494April 21, 2018 11:45 PM

Shitty Lightsh!

by Anonymousreply 495April 22, 2018 12:19 AM

I did not lipschink!

by Anonymousreply 496April 22, 2018 1:40 AM

When I was coming of age in the 70's, Liza was IT. I was in high school when Cabaret came out, and girls were getting Liza bobs and painting their nails green. She was a trend setter. Going to see Liza was a major event, and continued to be so up til the 90's. She really was a force to be reckoned with. So I'll continue to adore her, and make fun of her from time to time but I'm fortunate because I was able to see her in concert more than a few times.

I've got the soundtrack to "The Act" somewhere - I'll have to find it because there were some great numbers in it. And if memory serves me, she tried it out on the road for some time as "Shine It On" before it finally went to Broadway and became "The Act."

by Anonymousreply 497April 22, 2018 2:59 AM

[quote]But she DID lipsynch in "The Act" including that number.

This was already mentioned in my post at R470.

But she's NOT lipsynching in my post at R478. T

That's a performance that neither Mitzi Gaynor nor Joey Heatherton could ever imagine giving. Donna McKechnie, Gwen Verdon, Chita, Lola Falana...they could have danced the shit out of it but they could never match those vocals.

by Anonymousreply 498April 22, 2018 11:05 AM

You can like Liza and Barbra and Bette. Each of them brings something other two cannot.

by Anonymousreply 499April 22, 2018 11:32 AM

"Cabaret came out, and girls were getting Liza bobs and painting their nails green..."

Um, no, R497, no remotely close. Gay boys might have adopted that, girls did not. I graduated from a suburban NYC high school in 1973. We had long straight hair parted in the middle, wore pleasant blouses and hip-hugger bell bottoms, sandals and very little make-up. Like the Manson gang.

by Anonymousreply 500April 22, 2018 5:07 PM

You didn't mention prairie dresses, r500.

by Anonymousreply 501April 22, 2018 5:22 PM

Although talented, she always had more "pizazz" than talent.

And while her mother was a much better singer, I find both of them to be so affected when they sing, I can't listen to either of them outside of movies.

by Anonymousreply 502April 22, 2018 5:25 PM

Uh yes, r500. The gay boys in my school wore prairie dresses. And Swedish clogs.

My school was VERY progressive.

by Anonymousreply 503April 22, 2018 5:35 PM

DL makes me long to watch Caberet again. Thanks, boys.

by Anonymousreply 504April 22, 2018 11:41 PM

I was thinking. If 20,000+ people walked by Judy Garland in an open casket under glass, and not one picture ever surfaced, does that mean Judy was revered?

by Anonymousreply 505April 23, 2018 3:10 AM

Leeza Gibbons certainly is.

and we hope she leaves the airways asap.

by Anonymousreply 506April 23, 2018 3:20 AM

r505 I've always wondered why there was never an open casket pic of Judy.

by Anonymousreply 507April 23, 2018 3:37 AM

Perhaps because Judy's fans were and are intelligent and classy people.

by Anonymousreply 508April 23, 2018 8:35 AM

Erna=thread killer. CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 509April 23, 2018 2:51 PM

Erna-haters = Melania-haters = Trump-haters!

by Anonymousreply 510April 23, 2018 2:56 PM

People didn't take pictures of open caskets because there was nowhere to sell them. Movie mags, newspapers wouldn't print such a pic unless it was official, such as Louis Armstrong below. People didn't walk around with cameras like the do now, and Frank Campbell's probably had a no-camera policy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511April 23, 2018 3:12 PM

The National Enquirer would have printed it- they used to love that shit.

by Anonymousreply 512April 23, 2018 3:19 PM

Not in 1969, R512. In fact, the bulk of stories in the National Enquirer at that time were not about celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 513April 23, 2018 3:25 PM

R513, if you read Garland's bios, she was blackmailed several times about photos, one of which was taken in the hospital after a suicide attempt. She was topless and had tubes in her. She said she had no doubt they would have printed it and so she paid the money and felt it was money well spent.

by Anonymousreply 514April 23, 2018 3:52 PM

Judy's OD in Hong Kong in '65 was the real beginning of the end.

by Anonymousreply 515April 23, 2018 3:54 PM

[quote]Perhaps because Judy's fans were and are intelligent and classy people. —Erna

Says the man who ingests sloppy stools on video. So intelligent and "classy."

by Anonymousreply 516April 23, 2018 4:00 PM

R514 - no one would have printed pics of JG getting her stomach pumped. The blackmailers just said that because they wanted money.

by Anonymousreply 517April 23, 2018 4:11 PM

Addendum - the photos may have made their way around show biz circles and sealed that she was no longer insurable on any level which would result in no work ever again. It would never have appeared in print anywhere in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 518April 23, 2018 4:14 PM

The HK OD was in 1964, not 1965

by Anonymousreply 519April 23, 2018 5:06 PM

57 years ago today, April 23, 1961, Judy Garland tore the roof off Carnegie Hall. Ms. Minnelli was front row, next to Rock Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 520April 23, 2018 11:48 PM

All three of them died tragic deaths R520. AIDS and two overdoses. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 521April 23, 2018 11:56 PM

Um, r521? Liza is still very much alive. In SHIERRA TOWERSH!

by Anonymousreply 522April 23, 2018 11:57 PM

r521 likes blue.

by Anonymousreply 523April 24, 2018 12:03 AM

Miss Hudson died from drugs, pharma (AZT, etc) and/or recreational.

by Anonymousreply 524April 24, 2018 2:56 PM

r524 = Erna

by Anonymousreply 525April 24, 2018 10:16 PM

Judy's Carnegie Hall album makes me dance with the vacuum cleaner. Best album in the history of recording.

by Anonymousreply 526April 24, 2018 10:38 PM

Who leads, r526?

by Anonymousreply 527April 24, 2018 10:41 PM

R527 lol funny.

by Anonymousreply 528April 25, 2018 12:14 AM

We know every single word ,note, beat, and comment, by heart from the entire 2 record JUDY AT CARNEGIE HALL album!

(and have since childhood)

by Anonymousreply 529April 26, 2018 9:40 AM

R470 - sound like my sexscapades in my 30's.

by Anonymousreply 530April 26, 2018 9:56 AM

r529 Erna, shouldn't you be eating shit right about now?

by Anonymousreply 531April 26, 2018 11:32 PM

Judy!

by Anonymousreply 532April 27, 2018 12:10 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 533May 2, 2018 12:41 PM

Last night I watched some of the Joan Rivers documentary. She said (regarding money) that she didn’t want to have to “live carefully”. Some people are like that.

My late MIL made a lot of money and spent it as quickly as she made it. Lived lavishly and generously. When she died suddenly, we discovered she was deeply in debt.

by Anonymousreply 534May 2, 2018 2:13 PM

Except Joan died wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 535May 2, 2018 2:21 PM

Which is why Joan was working in her 80s.

by Anonymousreply 536May 2, 2018 2:51 PM

She had nothing else to do, R536.

by Anonymousreply 537May 2, 2018 3:11 PM

Liza sounds a lot like Joan Rivers, singing.

by Anonymousreply 538May 3, 2018 1:47 AM

Hi this is Ethel Abromowitz, Liza’s accountant. Liza is not broke. Best wishes!

by Anonymousreply 539May 3, 2018 3:12 PM

No, OP. A girl does what she has to do.

NYP: Liza Minnelli quietly selling off Andy Warhol paintings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540June 19, 2018 1:37 AM

She's appearing in conversation AND performance with Miss Feinstein in Costa Mesa a week from Saturday.

Plenty of seats left, too...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541June 19, 2018 1:57 AM

It's good to hear that's she's still well enough to get out and be on stage. She's barely been seen in public for a while now.

by Anonymousreply 542June 19, 2018 2:16 AM

Expect a VERY broad definition of “performance.”

by Anonymousreply 543June 19, 2018 2:28 AM

I saw the last one. Feinstein should be ashamed of himself. She had a hard time getting on the stool let alone remembering the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 544June 19, 2018 3:00 AM

Commissioning those Warhols were the best investment Liza ever made.

by Anonymousreply 545June 19, 2018 5:24 AM

[quote]Commissioning those Warhols were the best investment Liza ever made.

Wow....7 million for just one. 21 more Warhols to go.

by Anonymousreply 546June 19, 2018 11:19 AM

What about me? Do you ever think of me?

by Anonymousreply 547June 19, 2018 12:14 PM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 548June 19, 2018 1:54 PM

I know at one point in the 80s, a Warhol portrait was $40k, and if you bought 3 more colorations (which he usually did) they we're $20k each. Being friends, I'll bet she also received some kind of discount.

by Anonymousreply 549June 19, 2018 3:38 PM

I hope she's not selling the ones from his Blue Period.

by Anonymousreply 550June 19, 2018 4:36 PM

What happened to the auction? Did they cancel it?

by Anonymousreply 551June 19, 2018 4:40 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 552June 20, 2018 2:30 AM

Auction?

by Anonymousreply 553June 20, 2018 9:26 PM

Call and ask about the auction if you're that curious.

by Anonymousreply 554June 21, 2018 7:45 AM

I emailed the auction house asking about it but they didn't respond.

by Anonymousreply 555June 21, 2018 7:51 AM

[quote]Is Liza Broke?

Not anymore. Wonder who she is going to leave it all to?

by Anonymousreply 556June 21, 2018 9:37 AM

Thank you, r555. I wonder what's up with it.

by Anonymousreply 557June 21, 2018 1:43 PM

[quote]I emailed the auction house asking about it but they didn't respond.

You probably sounded poor.

by Anonymousreply 558June 21, 2018 3:10 PM

The Profiles in History auction house that is handling all the other things (not art) says sometime in June on their website.

by Anonymousreply 559June 21, 2018 4:03 PM

[quote]What happened to the auction? Did they cancel it?

They want to sell as many $100 catalogues as possible first. Getting closer to the date they will put it all online. They did the same for Debbie Reynolds auctions.

by Anonymousreply 560June 21, 2018 4:27 PM

JFC, you can buy everything but her blood-stained panties.

by Anonymousreply 561June 22, 2018 12:34 AM

Oh, thoshe can be had, too, but on my other auction...on the dark web, where you can also by shpecial pieshes from my jewelry line!

by Anonymousreply 562June 22, 2018 10:10 AM

I just wish they'd announce when that date is, r560.....or how many catalogs they want to sell before they do.

by Anonymousreply 563June 22, 2018 4:43 PM

R563, just sign up for their email list. They'll send you notifications.

by Anonymousreply 564June 22, 2018 4:47 PM

The lots are now up online......

Click on View Flipbook

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565June 27, 2018 4:22 PM

Hilarious how the estimates are always so low to entice people when they will actually go for thousands. Liza's Oscar nomination certificate for "The Sterile Cuckoo" $400-$600 yeah right. For someone who supposedly spent a lot of her time out of it, she kept everything and in great condition too.

by Anonymousreply 566June 27, 2018 4:31 PM

She's selling her Blockbuster video store card.

by Anonymousreply 567June 27, 2018 4:59 PM

I'm calling first dibs on Liza's coke mirror!

by Anonymousreply 568June 27, 2018 5:29 PM

[quote]I'm calling first dibs on Liza's coke mirror!

At least you can be assured that it's been broken in!

by Anonymousreply 569June 27, 2018 5:47 PM

Was this the last time that Judy and Vincent were together?

It's surreal that Liza was marrying a closeted gay man, while her mother is standing there with her closeted ex-husband. Like mother, like daughter, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570June 27, 2018 5:50 PM

How does an auction like this work? There is so much stuff. It must take so long to auction it all off. How does bidding online work?

by Anonymousreply 571June 28, 2018 1:55 AM

It goes very fast , like next , next, next and will probably go all day or more. There are people in the back of the room that work for the auction house with live computers and phones calling out the bids they receive. You have to register online if you want to bid so they know you are legit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572June 29, 2018 12:02 PM

I COULDN'T GIVE A SHIT IF I TRIED.

by Anonymousreply 573June 29, 2018 12:06 PM

Any greasy headboards?

by Anonymousreply 574June 29, 2018 2:31 PM

R541

Has she cancelled yet? Anyone from here going?

by Anonymousreply 575June 29, 2018 2:48 PM

I so want the Liza Minnelli personal Liberace award candelabra and the engraved Vincent Minnelli telephone.

A lot of junk here like most celeb auctions - VM's UCLA medical card! That will surely end up in the dumpster.

by Anonymousreply 576June 29, 2018 3:17 PM

Our Liza must have had VERY sticky fingers!

by Anonymousreply 577June 29, 2018 5:57 PM

I love that she has some of her Liza Collection from HSN for sale. And for more than they were sold for on the network.

by Anonymousreply 578June 29, 2018 8:12 PM

Poor Judy- not much of a personal nature.

by Anonymousreply 579June 29, 2018 9:00 PM

This stuff must sell. I was looking at the Robert Osborne auction. It was stunning how much they got for old movie posters and stuff like that.

Is that just because it was Osborne's or does movie memorabilia really sell that well?

by Anonymousreply 580June 30, 2018 2:27 AM

I could see a lot of drag Lizas bidding on the Muppet Show Halston ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 581June 30, 2018 4:17 PM

Halshton wash a geniush!

by Anonymousreply 582June 30, 2018 4:32 PM

I was shocked that the gross Blue satin pajamas she wore to the Oscars two years ago was designed by Halston.

by Anonymousreply 583June 30, 2018 4:58 PM

r8 Word is she's become a recluse? I noticed on her 70th birthday showbiz pals like Joan Collins and Nancy Sinatra reached out to her to offer congratulations on social media but she did not seem to respond and a mutual gay New York friend of hers and Joan Collins also tried to reach out to her on numerous occasions but there was no response.I remember once getting the distinct impression that she was deleting tweets her celebrity pals replied to as if she was trying to cut contact with them? either that or someone is controlling her social media accounts. I hope she is ok but rumours of ill health abound.

by Anonymousreply 584December 17, 2018 2:43 AM

WEHO gays, call in the welfare check.

by Anonymousreply 585December 18, 2018 12:57 AM

I doubt she will become that desperate surely ? r585

by Anonymousreply 586December 18, 2018 1:44 AM

Liza may be bound and gagged while shady gays order up rent boys on her credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 587December 18, 2018 1:49 AM

They're ordering double-anshovy pizshash with my cardsh!

by Anonymousreply 588December 18, 2018 1:54 AM

Sadly it had crossed my mind that she may be surrounded and isolated by a user r587

by Anonymousreply 589December 18, 2018 2:16 AM

R589 isn't that michael feinstein guy questionable?

by Anonymousreply 590December 18, 2018 2:21 AM

Ellen was a real bastard to insult her like that, totally in-called for.

by Anonymousreply 591December 18, 2018 2:25 AM

She is not necessarily broke. As people age it is natural to be concerned with where all those possessions will end up. She has no kids, Lorna has the kids. Also there will be a lot more than these objects, she has prob already made arrangements for sentimental items.

by Anonymousreply 592December 18, 2018 2:26 AM

Oh I didn't know he was one of her close pals?

by Anonymousreply 593December 18, 2018 2:26 AM

Oh I didn't know he was one of her close pals r590

by Anonymousreply 594December 18, 2018 2:27 AM

R594 he's mentioned many times in this thread

by Anonymousreply 595December 18, 2018 2:45 AM

Sorry thanks r595 I only joined this thread latterly

by Anonymousreply 596December 18, 2018 2:54 AM

She was "performing" over the summer, hardly a recluse.

by Anonymousreply 597December 18, 2018 2:22 PM

I could see this as a nice pied de terre and isn't this how most celebs use ST?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598December 18, 2018 2:38 PM

Yes, if only for the fact there is continuous construction going on. There a few old-timers, but mostly it's a revolving door of rich people who always rip their unit down to the studs before moving in.

by Anonymousreply 599December 18, 2018 3:48 PM

I know Lizas sister Lorna was initially treated in the UK for a brain tumour after collapsing onstage but I haven't heard much since on how she is now faring.

by Anonymousreply 600December 21, 2018 4:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!