Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christian maths teacher sues school after being sacked for misgendering trans pupil

Oxfordshire secondary school teacher Joshua Sutcliffe has been suspended and faces losing his job after being accused of ‘misgendering’ a pupil during one of his lessons. Despite apologising for his mistake, Joshua has been suspended from his post as a maths teacher and faces a disciplinary hearing in two days time after the transgender pupil’s mother's complained. He joins This Morning alongside Andrea Williams of the Christian Legal Centre who is supporting Joshua and believes schools are ‘making it all up as they go along’ when it comes to the correct way of addressing transgender pupils. Was the school right to suspend Joshua?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 24, 2018 5:46 PM

What does being xtian have to do with it?

OP, you're either a hysterical right wing nutbag or anti-religion nutbag.

The operative word, however, is "nutbag."

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2018 12:40 PM

OP is trolling.

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2018 12:42 PM

I felt sorry for him until the Christianity kicked in.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2018 12:47 PM

Actually, religion can enter into it. One of the foundations of the Quaker religion is a rigid perception of the truth. There cannot be two truths. Either one is true and the other is false, or both are false. It follows that one is either male or female and one's feelings do not apply. I, as a Quaker, could very easily argue that referring to a as other than their biological gender is a violation of my religious beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2018 12:50 PM

[quote]Actually, religion can enter into it. One of the foundations of the Quaker religion is a rigid perception of the truth. There cannot be two truths. Either one is true and the other is false, or both are false. It follows that one is either male or female and one's feelings do not apply. I, as a Quaker, could very easily argue that referring to a as other than their biological gender is a violation of my religious beliefs.

What did I tell you - nutbags, the lot of you.

He's not teaching religious theory or seminary. He's teaching math. Religion has nothing to do with it. That's like saying that a xtian biology teacher ought to be able to teach creationism and ignore evolution because it violates his religious beliefs.

Exhausting. If the teacher continued to harass the student by calling her or him (frankly, I couldn't be bothered to figure out which one was the preferred since it's not wholly clear from that story) by non-preferred pronouns, sure. But, a couple isolated mistakes - get over it.

The reality is that people need to deal with the world as it exists, not as they want in some fantasy. That reality is that normative gender has been an integral part of the human existence for all but the last couple years. Conversely, there is a trend toward changing gender dynamics which may (or may not) be permanent.

Both sides need to adapt to a changing world.

It is better to be adaptable than resilient.

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2018 1:06 PM

R5, you fail critical thought. You are arguing apples and pancakes.

I teacher must be able to teach the subject. A Christian teacher must be willing to teach Evolution if that is part of the job description. Gender preference has *nothing* to do with the subject math. You example is a poor one.

Just an FYI, "learning to adapt", specifically "Who Moved My Cheese", was how the Reagan Republicans were able to dismantle the social contracts that made the USA and create the current disparity between the 1% and everyone else. If you really listen, that is the NRA argument: don't ban guns, learn to adapt to gun violence.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2018 1:23 PM

r1 Him being a Christian has everything to do with it. The teacher apologized the trans student after misgendering her. It should have ended there. But he later told senior staff that he didn’t think it was wrong to call a trans boy a girl, most likely due to his religion. That's why he got sacked.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2018 1:32 PM

When I first saw this I thought it was maybe the kid being oversensitive if the teacher did accidentally slip and use the wrong pronouns, but it turns out he would deliberately refuse to use the right ones.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2018 1:36 PM

Not “right” one, preferred.

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2018 1:37 PM

[R9]

I knew someone would say that. heh.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2018 1:44 PM

I'm hot for teacher.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2018 3:25 PM

This is strange. Christians have always been against math and science. The dumber people are the better for their religion.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2018 3:32 PM

Jenn-durr is violence against women and gay men. This teacher did nothing wrong.

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2018 3:34 PM

He's hot, in a flyover way.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2018 3:53 PM

Maths?

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2018 3:57 PM

Teacher's cute.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2018 4:02 PM

The mother of this kid is the one in the wrong. She should be teaching her kid to handle these situations (since it's going to happen a LOT in its life) instead of invoking the authorities.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2018 4:10 PM

I've got a new job for him!

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2018 4:22 PM

those hosts have drank the trans kool-ade

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2018 8:13 PM

[quote]Maths?

Englishes.

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2018 10:15 PM

How much you want to make a bet there was way more to this story than just “misgendering” a student?

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2018 10:53 PM

LOCK ‘IM UP ! !

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2018 12:04 AM

He's gay AF right?

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2018 12:10 AM

The kid may believe he is a girl but the teacher may believe that no amount of surgery or hormones can turn a boy into a girl. Why does one person's notion of reality (in this case the student's) supersede another's (the teacher)?

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2018 12:51 AM

I'd be willing to wager he's used the word "muzzie" on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2018 1:12 AM

This misgendering nonsense has got to stop. No one should be compelled to use improper pronouns or any type of speech.

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2018 3:20 AM

I AM FIGHTING AND GASPING FOR MY VERY EXISTENCE HERE!!!

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2018 3:28 AM

Teacher is hot a f.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2018 3:34 AM

Jeez, could that teacher be any camper if he tried? He should be on the West End in Everybody's Talking About Jamie. And get some skin cream for the acne.

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2018 3:37 AM

[quote]The kid may believe he is a girl but the teacher may believe that no amount of surgery or hormones can turn a boy into a girl. Why does one person's notion of reality (in this case the student's) supersede another's (the teacher)?

[quote]This misgendering nonsense has got to stop. No one should be compelled to use improper pronouns or any type of speech.

Western culture is based on mutual respect. Part of that respect is acknowledging and honoring another person's desires. This is what religious people always want to ignore (until they can attempt to flip the narrative, screeching about the "intolerant left" when what they're upset over is right-thinking people rejecting their bigotry, homophobia, misogyny, transphobia and racism) saying it violates their "right" to believe whatever they want. They can believe whatever they want; it's when they try to use government policy to force their "beliefs" on everybody that there is a problem.

The teacher should just use whatever pronoun the kid wants. It's simply a matter of respect.

And of all places, you'd think DL would be one that agreed with mutual respect. After all, it was only 50 years ago that gaining the simple common respect under the law when homosexuality was decriminalized in Britain, and only 15 in the US, for example. This is how communities gain acceptance and we grow stronger through our commonality instead of pitted against one another. Progress!

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2018 3:53 AM

Of course you are, r11. DL's strange obsession with calling mediocre white males "hot" continues apace!!!

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2018 4:10 AM

DL dilemma - Christian vs. Trans. Whom to support.

by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2018 9:43 AM

So flaming you could see the flames from Jupiter R23!

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2018 10:16 AM

Maths?

by Anonymousreply 34April 24, 2018 10:20 AM

Meths?

by Anonymousreply 35April 24, 2018 10:22 AM

R19 Yes I thought the hosts were quite pushy and quite ignorant about the effort needed to handle large classrooms of misbehaving kids.

by Anonymousreply 36April 24, 2018 12:32 PM

R30, normally I'd agree, but part of being in society is adjusting your behavior and expectations to allow for greater social harmony. There's a balance to be found between being respectful of someone and insisting that everyone else cater to your personal preferences. With the trans movement, the balance has shifted so far toward personal preference it's becoming absurd. No one can be expected to remember which of 30 people use which of a dozen pronouns and be flawless every time. Nor should anyone insist they are.

by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2018 2:11 PM

R37 Yes, you're right. The balance has shifted.

Modern-day Identity-Politics demand that the children rule over the teacher.

The Minority rule over the Majority. The tail wags the dog.

by Anonymousreply 38April 24, 2018 5:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!