Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do you track your todo list?

Do you use a smart phone app, a notepad, post-it notes?

What works best for you?

I use the Apple Reminders list for longer term goals, but it doesn't give me the satisfaction of writing something down on paper and then crossing it out, which I use for planning my daily tasks.

by Anonymousreply 87May 27, 2021 11:59 PM

op=Miss Gulch

by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2018 1:33 AM

Hotel stationary.

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2018 2:20 AM

Cuneiform tablet.

I'm old school.

by Anonymousreply 3March 16, 2018 2:20 AM

Backs of envelopes.

by Anonymousreply 4March 16, 2018 2:26 AM

Dayrunner at the top of my desk. Just like I did 25 years ago. Technology is nonsense in this area.

by Anonymousreply 5March 16, 2018 2:55 AM

Pencil and Paper. I like seeing the whole list, including the things I've already completed.

by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2018 3:09 AM

Caucasian thread.

by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2018 3:41 AM

The OP isn't important enough to have a to-do list.

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2018 3:48 AM

At work, I have a white board. I don't do to do lists in my personal life.

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2018 3:49 AM

To Do Task Manager - helps me list and track my online orders and deliveries

Note Everything - for my grocery list, voice notes or picture notes

by Anonymousreply 10March 16, 2018 3:59 AM

Maybe you need a touch pen like the Samsung Galaxy Note 8

by Anonymousreply 11March 16, 2018 4:00 AM

I have a Google account and use Calendar for scheduling, Keep for note taking, and Inbox by Gmail (the new interface for Gmail) as a master To Do list that happens to receive e-mail (and most emails are tasks anyway).

Google lets you attach a "reminder" (which is really just a task or a To Do item) to Calendar events, Keep notes, and Inbox e-mails, or create a stand-alone reminder. You can set the dates and times of the reminders. Then when you look in your Inbox by Gmail, all the reminders appear at the day/time you plan to do them. You can also see those rinders on your Google Calendar.

It's all cloud-based so I can use all three apps on my smartphone if I'm not at my desk using a browser.

In olden times, the 1990s until mid-2000s, I used a paper planner. Franklin Quest (later Franklin Covey) was my preference, and while I loved that system and still love paper, there is no going back. Digital calendars and task lists are way more efficient and imo Google has the best, and I've tried many others.

by Anonymousreply 12March 16, 2018 5:36 AM

My mom recently gifted me one of these. It's awesome. The tip of the pen lights up in the dark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 16, 2018 7:23 AM

I track Toto by microchipping his ear.

by Anonymousreply 14March 16, 2018 7:39 AM

I have an evernote with a plain day to day calendar like a word processor where I write down things to do and I either cross them out (if I want to look back on it) or delete if it's trivial.

by Anonymousreply 15March 16, 2018 9:23 AM

Google Keep. Motto: "It's not bad, I guess"

by Anonymousreply 16March 16, 2018 9:36 AM

Google Keep app

by Anonymousreply 17March 16, 2018 10:35 AM

Google keep lets u cross off done stuff. It is the home page on my work browser and an app on my phone..

by Anonymousreply 18March 16, 2018 10:37 AM

[quote] Hotel stationary

Most hotels are

by Anonymousreply 19March 16, 2018 10:44 AM

Todo in Spanish means " all of something" . Todo el mundo= everybody

by Anonymousreply 20March 16, 2018 10:44 AM

not all R19

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 16, 2018 10:51 AM

I have PTSD from too much exposure to lesbians that make lists. I refuse to make them except with my few remaining addled brain cells.

by Anonymousreply 22March 16, 2018 12:30 PM

I accidentally took Jerry Kennedy's day planner home. Imagine my embarrassment when I showed up for handball with Walter Cronkite! Don't ever tell him he looks like Captain Kangaroo.

by Anonymousreply 23March 16, 2018 11:10 PM

Google Keep in conjunction with Google Calendar for little stuff. Asana for bigger projects and also tasks connected to the association of which I'm a member. Asana also connects to Google Calendar, so I always have an overview of everything, regardless of where I jot down the task.

by Anonymousreply 24March 16, 2018 11:26 PM

With my brain.

by Anonymousreply 25March 16, 2018 11:55 PM

A big calendar I bought at Staples

by Anonymousreply 26March 17, 2018 12:07 AM

A borrowed uterus.

by Anonymousreply 27March 17, 2018 12:32 AM

I have a person who does that for me. Why wouldn't everyone?

by Anonymousreply 28March 17, 2018 12:35 AM

I follow David Allen's methodology and use Things. OmniFocus is also very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 17, 2018 12:53 AM

My brain...

by Anonymousreply 30March 17, 2018 12:58 AM

^ Did your brain notice that somebody else already said that?

by Anonymousreply 31March 17, 2018 1:09 AM

R31 well that’s good!! Great minds think alike! Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 32March 17, 2018 1:14 AM

Pen and paper on a clipboard. Never fails me.

by Anonymousreply 33March 17, 2018 2:19 AM

Tried many e-lists apps and programs. Google calendar reminder is probably the one that has lasted the longest. But eventually, after a few days (usually) or a few months, I find it pretty easy to ignore them. Nevermind all the reminders--easy to clear them away from the screen. I have used Evernote for years--but only as an info depository, I can't see it as a to do or task tool.

Considering going back to pen and paper. But the main problem is that I'm a just a time/responsibility sloth.

by Anonymousreply 34March 17, 2018 3:11 AM

Ringbinder block, a pencil and a marker. When I am on a very sophisticated mode, I use the old Pelican from my late great uncle from the 1960's, my Waterman or my Mont Blanc "Meisterstück" ink fountain pen.

For personal dates a DIN A 6 calendre, for business a A 4 calendar book whith two pages for every day.

All my really! relevant adresses and phone numbers are documented in an 10 years old Moleskine paper notebook. Written with a real Faber-Castell Graphit pencil HB2. Changing numbers costs a rubber eraser

Exploding clouds, dying Laptops and Smartphones, lack of electricity do not harm me.

Sounds weird? Well, I am an middle age 50 german. So, do not wonder.

by Anonymousreply 35March 17, 2018 3:36 AM

Let’s ask this: how long have your items been on your ‘to do’ list?

by Anonymousreply 36March 17, 2018 3:58 AM

The customer base for paper planners seems to be older techphobic Baby Boomers who still use planners as originally intended. But there's also paper planner culture of Millennial frauen who doll up their DayTimers with colored markers, stickers and glitter. A cottage industry has emerged from this "pretty planning" phenomenon and it seems to be more about tactile experience rather than practical use.

People with actual work to get done use digital apps these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 17, 2018 6:49 PM

I still have a hard copy address book with both street addresses and email addresses and phone numbers, etc.

And I am the person in the family that gets the call when an emergency occurs and the word must be sent out because I am the only one who has bothered to keep all the info. (Yes I have electronic copies of a lot of this info, but the book is the best.)

by Anonymousreply 38March 17, 2018 7:09 PM

Erin Condren brand is the paper day planner of choice for Millennial frauen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 20, 2018 2:48 AM

Cortana (both on my laptop/tablet, phone, and Cortana Invoke speaker) using WunderList as the engine.

Works great.

by Anonymousreply 40March 20, 2018 3:12 AM

I just picked up an original IBM "Think" pad, to maintain my hipster bonafides

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 20, 2018 3:28 AM

I use an Amazon Echo.

by Anonymousreply 42March 20, 2018 3:40 AM

I use a $50 Moleskine notebook that fits in my pocket and has about 12 pages.

by Anonymousreply 43March 20, 2018 3:54 AM

I use my laptop and iPhone a lot but there's nothing like putting a Postit on the bathroom mirror. I write what I have to do today or this week and it's like my mind or subconscious is forced to do it. If I rely on technology, it won't get done.

by Anonymousreply 44March 20, 2018 4:19 AM

I have a blank 8.5x11" sheet of paper with square post-it notes stuck to it. Each post-it has a different theme, like grocery shopping list, online shopping list, cleaning tasks, home improvement small project tasks, and another for longer term projects (just a list of projects I need to start). Unfortunately I don't get much done because after I'm finished working for the week I want to chill out and do absolutely nothing.

by Anonymousreply 45March 20, 2018 4:34 AM

Of course, you can't get it done, R45. That's overkill.

by Anonymousreply 46March 20, 2018 4:36 AM

R45 here....I forgot to mention the beauty of this system.....you can just snatch one of the post it notes off the 8.5x11" paper if you need to make it a mobile list. For example, when going to the grocery store I remove the grocery shopping post it and stick it to my cell phone and then put it in my pocket.

by Anonymousreply 47March 20, 2018 4:40 AM

I'm retired. When I was working I used MS Outlook. I had been a Franklin Planner user for years. When my employer bought the MS Office license everyone had to keep an Outlook calendar I put everything into to Outlook. Including my to do list. I also kept a spiral bound reporters notebook for notes. I used it in conjunction with OneNote.

Now I don't either. I have a great 6" by (' leather portfolio. It holds a notebook with numbered pages and index on the first page. I use it to record by to do lists and other daily notes. I find this is one of the great things about being retired -the only organizing tool I need is very simple.

by Anonymousreply 48March 20, 2018 5:03 AM

The Zborny.

It's not only a baked potato opener, but a to do list tracker as well.

by Anonymousreply 49March 20, 2018 11:36 PM

Sticky pads and people who depend on me to keep reminding me when I've let them down and when I'm gonna get to that. My friends and family have been calling me Mr. Magoo for years so they already no to lead me by the nose if we're ever doing anything together. I find these work well for me. So why try to change me now?

by Anonymousreply 50March 20, 2018 11:40 PM

Day-Timer planner and a composition book with graph paper ruling.

by Anonymousreply 51March 20, 2018 11:49 PM

Your way, OP.

by Anonymousreply 52March 21, 2018 1:28 AM

I've been using Inbox by Gmail, as mentioned upthread, but Google will shut it down next March.

Now what?

by Anonymousreply 53December 12, 2018 3:52 PM

I use a little notebook, bullet journal style.

At work I use Outlook....lightly. My job is pretty routine plus we get daily updates from the project manager.

by Anonymousreply 54December 12, 2018 4:09 PM

Those bullet journals seem like a lot of work. How long does it take you each day to write all that out?

by Anonymousreply 55December 13, 2018 1:35 AM

Google Tasks. It works as an app in Android, or a web page in Windows. You can have multiple lists (shopping, to-do, etc.) I even use it to track gift cards, coupons that expire, etc. because you can add due dates, which sync with Google Calendar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 13, 2018 4:02 AM

Do any of you read "productivity" blogs/forums, books or listen to podcasts? A lot of those productivity dudes are cringey AF but I can't stop consuming their content.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 14, 2018 3:39 PM

Post it notes... all over the cabinets. :)

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2018 3:42 PM

Cure cancer,

Stop global warming

Buy the generic kind of pop-tarts

by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2018 3:49 PM

^ OK, but how do you break those down into goals and tasks? And do you use a paper or digital planner?

by Anonymousreply 60December 15, 2018 12:10 AM

Notes app in IOS

by Anonymousreply 61December 15, 2018 12:17 AM

I miss Inbox by Gmail terribly.

Now I'm using gmail + calendar + tasks + keep, and it's nowhere near as smoothe and efficient as Inbox was.

Why does Google shit down its great apps?

by Anonymousreply 62March 18, 2020 11:40 PM

Microsoft To Do

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 18, 2020 11:52 PM

I use the todo.txt system with a couple small apps to make it easy to sync between laptop and phone, and Joplin as a free and open-source alternative to Evernote for bigger things. I self-host everything with Nextcloud... Google can keep their hands off my data!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 19, 2020 12:26 AM

AwesomeNote app

by Anonymousreply 65March 19, 2020 12:42 AM

The little notepads that comes as freebies with charity requests for money, and free advertising pens picked up at banks, the hardware store, etc.

by Anonymousreply 66March 19, 2020 1:19 AM

^ that come. Aaarrgh!

by Anonymousreply 67March 19, 2020 1:19 AM

Old school = I use pen and paper

by Anonymousreply 68March 19, 2020 1:39 AM

I rely on my brain. Sadly, it isn't what it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 69March 19, 2020 1:53 AM

For one-off immediate tasks, I just put an entry in my calendar for the date/time I'm most likely to do it, with an alert.

For the quarterly tasks, I put a calendar entry at the start of each quarter with the same list of things to do (changing filters, rotating mattress, deep cleaning, etc.).

The calendar is in the cloud and I can access it from my laptop/mobile devices.

For the in-between tasks, I used to keep an old calendar entry with a list inside it. I moved it from day to day and removed items as I went along. That was cumbersome. Now I keep the tasks in a Reminders app checklist that I can access from my laptop/mobile devices.

by Anonymousreply 70March 19, 2020 1:54 AM

Fuck use AwesomeNote!

by Anonymousreply 71March 19, 2020 1:58 AM

I write to do lists on my hands - very effective approach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 19, 2020 3:15 AM

[quote]I miss Inbox by Gmail terribly. Now I'm using gmail + calendar + tasks + keep, and it's nowhere near as smoothe and efficient as Inbox was. Why does Google shit down its great apps?

Same here!

A year since they closed it down, and I still can't find a decent alternative. Any advice?

by Anonymousreply 73May 25, 2020 11:15 PM

Word tables

by Anonymousreply 74May 25, 2020 11:23 PM

Microsoft ToDo

by Anonymousreply 75May 25, 2020 11:26 PM

Notes folder/app on IPhone.

by Anonymousreply 76May 25, 2020 11:33 PM

For grocery lists and "I need" lists, I love good old fashioned pen and paper. I hate having to overhandle and look at my phone in the store. Especially in the days of Covid.

by Anonymousreply 77May 25, 2020 11:51 PM

iPhone Notepad. Grocery lists, prescriptions, all of that.

by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2020 12:04 AM

iPhone calendar

by Anonymousreply 79May 26, 2020 12:50 AM

I'm a project manager and use Outlook to manage tasks and appointments. Each project has a project schedule I review and update each day and review with the project team each week. I also record and update actions or tasks that are to be completed each week and I publish this list, along with team notes, after each weekly team meeting.

Plan your work and work your plan.

by Anonymousreply 80May 26, 2020 1:13 AM

I attach reminders to any Google Keep notes that need me to do something, and those appear in my calendar. No need for a separate task list anymore.

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2021 4:37 AM

I’ve tried many things, but the only thing that works for me are small Post-it notes. I like the ease of rearranging them in priority order and having them always visible on my desk. Also, it’s good to be able to put it in a discard pile when I have completed task to see all I have accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2021 4:42 AM

I really want to like Google Tasks but every time I give it another try it falls short.

by Anonymousreply 83May 27, 2021 11:23 PM

What an idiotic response, R31

by Anonymousreply 84May 27, 2021 11:26 PM

Apple reminders for both one-time and recurring tasks.

For things like grocery lists and packing lists, I love AnyList (free app). You can save "master lists" and just tick the individual items on and off so you're not reentering everything every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 27, 2021 11:48 PM

As needed, no lists! Akkkkkkk!

by Anonymousreply 86May 27, 2021 11:58 PM

That's why I have my girl Friday!

by Anonymousreply 87May 27, 2021 11:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!