Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who is reading Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie?

Want to join us and this book club?

Start Reading!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2020 5:25 PM

i am in. Thanks, looking 4 a book club to join. how do i sign up?

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2018 12:20 AM

This will be the Book Club thread (but we might start a new thread).

and you can join over at Quote4 on reddit, click the picture link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 15, 2018 12:25 AM

Read it long ago. Watching poirot on pbs

by Anonymousreply 3March 15, 2018 12:36 AM

The butler did it.

by Anonymousreply 4March 15, 2018 1:33 AM

I think it might just have been the very first Agatha Christie novel I had read as a kid. I was still reading translations into my language back then, of course. I only remember being pretty damn traumatized by the final revelation of how it was done. My poor little mind couldn't yet process such sociopathy and my parents didn't care/didn't know how to screen inappropriate materials for me.

by Anonymousreply 5March 15, 2018 1:55 AM

I will read with this book club. it is Agatha Christie motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 6March 15, 2018 3:22 AM

I loved the Ariadne Oliver books, also liked the Tommy and Tuppence mysteries. liked the historical context though they were not Christie's best. The Oliver and Tommy and Tuppence books are well worth reading.

by Anonymousreply 7March 15, 2018 4:07 AM

Beware of good looking men...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 15, 2018 4:59 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 15, 2018 5:00 AM

I have a suggestion for your next book to read!

by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2018 8:47 AM

'you're mother should have taught you that when you are in a position of service there is a word of diffence between....' who remembers the exchange between la Davis and la Smith ? That was hilarious. The film holds up I think. Mia was at her best, playing basically herself, lansbury was annoying but the rest of the cast and the production was so exceptionnel, you could even forgive simon mc cordingale.

by Anonymousreply 11March 15, 2018 10:21 AM

I got the book, Op. Reading and sipping wine tonight.

Death on the Nile

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2018 9:16 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2018 4:36 AM

Is the film as good as the book?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 17, 2018 5:52 AM

Who did it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2018 5:53 AM

The film is well worth watching, Evil Under The Sun is better, though.

by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2018 1:24 PM

I loved the movie. The costumes were great. Mia didn't though.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2018 3:45 PM

One of my favorites. Both book and movie.

I've always loved that with Christie the solution is right there if you can think outside the box.

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2018 5:08 PM

Fucking god, the retarded Quote 4 troll is back?

Just die already.

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2018 6:55 PM

When are you slags going to discuss the book?

[quote]I've always loved that with Christie the solution is right there if you can think outside the box.

That's true of her best books, but she didn't always play fair; sometimes you would have to make some very wild leaps from very little information. I think Dead Man's Folly was one of those, and After the Funeral. Sometimes the plots were very improbable. But then, that's part of the fun. The set-up of Cards on the Table is as irresistible as it is incredible.

I won't go into spoiler territory, but even Death on the Nile is a bit "unfair" in that the first murder would have to have been planned pretty carefully...except it should have been impossible to plan in any detail.

by Anonymousreply 20April 27, 2018 11:43 AM

My entree was the Tyrone Power "Witness For the Prosecution" at age fourteen. I found the book (actually, a novella with short stories) in my house, and it was Katy, bar the door! I at 68 am still an aficionada! I adore Suchet (but prefer the Ustinov "Evil Under the Sun"), admire Joan Hickson (her "At Bertram's Hotel" wins), love Margaret Rutherford, and refuse to watch David Walliams as Tommy!

But the written works are superior to any adaptation, IMO!

by Anonymousreply 21April 27, 2018 12:38 PM

Bump for the dark winter evenings, curled up with a great book!

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2020 5:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!