Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Romance Novels: Who Reads Them?

I will occassionally pick up a vintage one at the thrift shop and read it out of curiosity, but I don't understand who really ever bought them.

Does anyone here ever read them for real?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2018 3:59 PM

I actually bit the bullet once and decided to read one. With a glass (ok, bottle) of White Zinfandel and a box of Russell Stover chocolates just to see what it might be like to be a middle-aged frau. Or, as I put it, "Wallowing in my own crapulence." Let's just say I read the entire miserable book in the time it took to drink the miserable wine and eat the miserable chocolates. All in all, worth doing just to see how the other half lives. Miserably.

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2018 10:26 PM

Not since I was in my 20s.

by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2018 10:37 PM

In the old Barbara Cartland one I read, she really liked her heroine to speak with lots of ellipsis. It became very, very annoying. Very, very quickly.

[italic]"But...I never thought....that you could possibly care...for me. When I saw you...in the park..."

by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2018 11:02 PM

[quote]R1 I actually bit the bullet once and decided to read one. With a glass (ok, bottle) of White Zinfandel and a box of Russell Stover chocolates just to see what it might be like to be a middle-aged frau.

Can you recoun t the plot for us, all these years later?

by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2018 11:38 PM

White Zin and a box of chocolates? You ARE a middle-aged frau.

by Anonymousreply 5March 14, 2018 11:52 PM

My ex-husband does.

by Anonymousreply 6March 14, 2018 11:54 PM

Rape fantasies everywhere. Lots of bad boys tamed.

I guess what that says about female fantasies is that they want rough sex, but just rough enough, and with lots of eye contact and kissing. Also they want the ravisher to read their mind and get to it.

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2018 3:44 PM

Mary Higgins Clark books are decent

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2018 3:47 PM

i did when I was younger and there was no Internet. Some of them are pretty hot. I jacked off to more than one cover.

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2018 3:50 PM

Daisy from KUP was always reading them.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2018 3:52 PM

That should be KUA

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2018 3:53 PM

Yes regarding the Cartland heroines being mealy-mouthed ellipsis-speaking goody two shoes.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2018 3:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!