Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you get paid twice a month or every two weeks?

My company recently announced that we are going to change from twice a month to biweekly. At first it seemed like really bad news, but I've decided it won't be too much of an adjustment.

by Anonymousreply 23March 3, 2018 8:44 AM

Weekly.

by Anonymousreply 1March 3, 2018 2:55 AM

Hourly

by Anonymousreply 2March 3, 2018 2:57 AM

Twice a month is very right and regular. Easy to budget. Dependable.

Every two weeks creates a few months with an extra paycheck. If you are working only part-time because you are disabled, those few bonus paychecks will play hell with your public benefits. Do be careful.

by Anonymousreply 3March 3, 2018 2:58 AM

Bi-weekly is better. This way you'll realize 26 paychecks per year rather than 24 (US).

by Anonymousreply 4March 3, 2018 2:59 AM

Last day of the month--it's already plopped onto credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 5March 3, 2018 3:00 AM

I used to work for a company that paid every other week, and in those months with 3 pay days the 3rd was always larger because benefits only got taken out of the first 2 paychecks each months. So if you budgeted being able to live on 2 paychecks it was like getting a nice bonus once in a while.

R4 that is irrelevant. If you get paid a certain annual salary, the amount in each paycheck is just smaller if you get 26 paychecks per year. You don't get paid more overall. *rolls eyes*

by Anonymousreply 6March 3, 2018 3:01 AM

At first, it seems like it's not that big a deal. And if you live well within your means, it's not.

However, consider this. Most bills are monthly and two bi-weekly paychecks (1/26 or your annual salary roughly) are less than two paychecks per month (1/24 of your annual salary).

by Anonymousreply 7March 3, 2018 3:02 AM

I like the two extra paychecks each year

by Anonymousreply 8March 3, 2018 3:02 AM

Once a month. Why, why, why, do employers do this shit? Especially the more 'wealthy' companies?

by Anonymousreply 9March 3, 2018 3:13 AM

The employers like to find a way to distinguish between 'hourly' and 'salaried' employees'. They know how people react like rats in a bucket, clawing over each other for status. I decided a long time ago to be happy being an hourly worker, pocketing extra pay by working overtime pay whenever it's offered.

by Anonymousreply 10March 3, 2018 3:16 AM

Once a week. I hate it. It's so low-rent and ghetto.

Plus no fucking direct deposit.

by Anonymousreply 11March 3, 2018 3:21 AM

Apparently, I posted a comment at R10, but it's invisible to me, since I must have been FFed out of DL existence. I only managed to post R2 on this thread, and that's all it takes to be banned from posting on DL (for making a disparaging remark about resident troll Matthew A). Why do we let assholes like that control what the rest of us talk about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 3, 2018 3:30 AM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 13March 3, 2018 3:35 AM

Regarding Direct Deposit... When you authorize your employer to deposit money directly in your bank account, you also authorize your employer to REMOVE money from your bank account in the event of an error.

If your bank deposits Six Million instead of Six Hundred, that's easily understood as an error. But agreement may not be so easy in a dispute about severance pay, vacation pay, etc. If your employer pays you for 20 vacation days and then decides you really only had 18 vacation days, it does not have to ask you for the money. It just debits your account.

Just give me the check. I'll decide if there was an error and you should have your money back.

by Anonymousreply 14March 3, 2018 3:54 AM

[quote]Just give me the check. I'll decide if there was an error and you should have your money back.

Most companies don't even give you the option to get a check anymore. I work for a large bank. Our pay options are direct deposit or a company branded pre-paid Visa card.

by Anonymousreply 15March 3, 2018 4:24 AM

I get paid when I bill a case. Which reminds me to do billing this weekend. I envy people who do their job and automatically get a check. You can't imagine what a luxury that is.

If I were to receive a regular paycheck as an employee again I would prefer once a month. My bills are monthly and easier to know what's there.

by Anonymousreply 16March 3, 2018 4:56 AM

R18, I've worked with a number of attorneys who have become 'in-house counsel' for the same reason. Apparently, documenting the 'billable hours' often requires as much time working the actual 'billable hours.' They have shared documenting such is a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2018 5:07 AM

[quote]Regarding Direct Deposit... When you authorize your employer to deposit money directly in your bank account, you also authorize your employer to REMOVE money from your bank account in the event of an error.

I have my checks direct deposited into an account that I use pretty much only for that purpose. I then transfer the money to a different account.

by Anonymousreply 18March 3, 2018 5:12 AM

R17, billing is worse than real work. It's torture The only good thing is I can do it in my underwear. Thanks for commiserating.

by Anonymousreply 19March 3, 2018 5:12 AM

[quote] If you are working only part-time because you are disabled, those few bonus paychecks will play hell with your public benefits. Do be careful.

Good lord. Has this place become so abject that we just assume there's probably someone on disability in every thread?

by Anonymousreply 20March 3, 2018 5:15 AM

When I was working, every two weeks. Now that I'm retired, pension check comes on the first of the month.

by Anonymousreply 21March 3, 2018 5:33 AM

Weekly

by Anonymousreply 22March 3, 2018 5:35 AM

[quote]bi-weekly

you mean fortnightly?

by Anonymousreply 23March 3, 2018 8:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!