Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What would you do about a neighbor's dog coming in your yard?

I was outside today cleaning my house since it is a nice day here. My neighbor's dog kept coming in my yard barking at me. I tried to shoo it away several times. Finally, I had enough and sprayed my water hose in its' direction hoping to give it a message. My neighbor started bitching at me saying I had no right to do that, and I should just put up with it since the dog is small and not dangerous. I told him that I would not allow my dog to roam in his yard no matter how small it is, so I expect the same courtesy. How would you handle this situation?

by Anonymousreply 87April 24, 2018 4:03 PM

Let me clarify. I do not own a dog since I do not like them now. Just hypothetically speaking.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2018 6:50 PM

[quote]What would you do about a neighbor's dog coming in your yard?

Put a condom on his little red rocket.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2018 6:51 PM

A strategically placed bear trap?

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2018 6:51 PM

Maybe if you would have tried to play with the dog a little he would have warmed up to you and stopped barking. And you might just have made a new animal friend. People who don't like dogs or cats can't be trusted IMO.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2018 6:55 PM

R4, Would you play with a dog with this look on its' face? I love cats and was ambivalent about dogs before moving here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2018 6:57 PM

OP - have you tried a hissy fit? You type like you'd be dramatically effective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2018 6:58 PM

You should have turned the hose on the neighbor and had an impromptu wet tee shirt contest

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2018 7:00 PM

I am not having a hissy fit. I am getting older every day and am tired of putting up with peoples bullshit! I try to go by the golden rule.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2018 7:04 PM

Most civilized people would have first consulted the neighbour.

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2018 7:05 PM

If there is a leash law in your community make an anonymous phone call to report the neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2018 7:05 PM

I was in the same situation, but my neighbor's two dogs were large and aggressive. I called Animal Control a handful of times because the dogs had gotten out of their (poorly) fenced-in backyard; sadly, nothing was ever done about the issue. I resorted to carrying pepper spray with me when I was in the part of my own yard that was not fenced in, but fortunately winter came and then we moved before another occurrence happened. I would have hated to spray them, but after the last incident where they chased me from my front porch and into my house and nearly broke down the glass door, snarling and barking, to get at me, I think I would have used it.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2018 7:06 PM

Ask the asshole to control their dog. If they don’t, call animal control.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2018 7:07 PM

R9, they knew their dog was doing it.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2018 7:08 PM

I told the neighbor I would rather not have handled it that way, but should not be forced to have a dog barking at me in my own yard. They said I should since it is a small dog. What is with dog owners and parents who think other people should have to put up their dog's/child's behavior? My neighbor thinks I am the asshole.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2018 7:13 PM

It’s easy, just go to Datalounge and post moronic thread after thread.

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2018 7:14 PM

i would play with it. only a psychopath doesn't love dogs

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2018 7:15 PM

You had a wobbly over a growling chihuahua? You big ol' pussy you. Chihuahuas growl and bark at everything. All you had to do was go in the kitchen a grab a little meat from the fridge and he would have become your best friend.

by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2018 7:19 PM

You admitted that you don't like dogs. They sense when people don't like them. That's why he barked at you. If you knew anything about them you would know that you can often win them over by speaking gently, not making any sudden moves, and allowing them to come close so they can get a whiff of your scent. After all, they are just trying to get a read to figure out if you pose a threat to them. I doubt that this is the first time you have made the dog feel threatened. Some day the little ankle biter is going to take you by surprise. You have it coming.

by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2018 7:20 PM

I have a fierce dog that size; about 8 lbs. when you are that size the aggression is about their fear. Ignore it OP.

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2018 7:29 PM

R18, obviously, you're young. We old farts don't have time for all that nicey nicey bs.

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2018 7:30 PM

R18, Then it will be a dead dog.

by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2018 7:32 PM

R18, when some ankle biter jumps up and grabs your crotch, get back to us.

by Anonymousreply 22February 21, 2018 7:36 PM

I'm old, R20. I would make friends with the dog.

by Anonymousreply 23February 21, 2018 7:37 PM

R19, I tried ignoring it and then I tried shooing it away. If it so scared, why is the little piece of shit coming in my yard? I am not going over there bothering them! This is not my fault the way some are making it out to be. I would never allow an animal of mine go inside someone else's yard and behave this way. My neighbors are the assholes.

by Anonymousreply 24February 21, 2018 7:38 PM

have a large bm on the neighbor's lawn

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2018 7:38 PM

R22, I am not a man. I also not a frau.

by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2018 7:39 PM

r26 You are person without crotch, Natasha?

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2018 7:40 PM

A fence. It's what I did. Fenced in my whole back yard. White vinyl fencing along the front for privacy, chain link (cost savings) along the sides and back. When we moved into this house, next door had a Weimaraner that was not properly socialized.

I had to fence my last house too. With the first house, I was not keeping out a dog but a drug addict kid and his parents who didn't understand that they couldn't drive their truck onto my property to access their back yard. (Long story) Chain link wasn't going to cut it so I put up 300 feet of white vinyl along the property line. The neighbors said it looked like the Great Wall of China and it did. It cost me MUCHO bucks but it was worth every dime to stick it to my neighbors The drug addict kid found a weak spot and would kick that part of the fence in and I'd call the cops and fence company to repair. We put up with this for a year before moving.

Back to your dog problem, I'm a dog owner and I'm rabid (pun intended) about not only keeping my dog on my property but other people keeping their dogs off my property. I only want to clean up dog shit for one dog - the one I own. I resent the hell out of small dog owners who think other people have to put up with their dogs barking, trespassing and shitting all because they pose no threat or don't make a big mess. Really?? Worst bite of my life was a small dog (Maltese). He chewed up my leg and I probably should have gotten stitches. Not a big mess? I shouldn't clean up any mess by someone else's dog. And being barked at in my own yard?? Control your animal, I control mine. I don't permit her to bark endless. Needless to say, my neighbors love me (really!) and they love my dog. I am complimented on her good nature and exceptional behavior. I've got no time for lousy dog owners and there are more of them than good dog owners.

by Anonymousreply 28February 21, 2018 7:40 PM

What kind of dog is Heidi, R28?

by Anonymousreply 29February 21, 2018 7:42 PM

I've had a problem with neighbors and their dog for two years now. They seem to think eveyone's front yard is a dog park. I eventually tracked down the property owner and my lawyer sent a cease and desist letter and she told them keep the dog leashed up. Needless to say their harassment escalated. People who don't train their dogs are assholes, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 30February 21, 2018 7:42 PM

I missed a period between neighbors and The in the second paragraph.

Error duly acknowledged.

by Anonymousreply 31February 21, 2018 7:43 PM

R29 Heidi is a Doberman

by Anonymousreply 32February 21, 2018 7:44 PM

Animal control officer, OP. Most municipalities have them. If you have an iphone, record the dog barking at you on your property. Record as many instances as you can and have them on hand when you file your complaint. This isn't funny and your neighbors are assholes. There are also a lot of places requiring you to pick up your dog's waste. If you can get the proof, pursue it and let them get fined. Hitting someone in their pocketbook usually does the trick.

by Anonymousreply 33February 21, 2018 7:44 PM

THANK YOU for your post, R28! I had thought about a fence but do not know if I want to go to the expense considering I do not plan on living here long term. There are other reasons I do not like living here, not just asshole neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 34February 21, 2018 7:46 PM

And thank you, R30 and R33!

by Anonymousreply 35February 21, 2018 7:47 PM

I love you R28.

by Anonymousreply 36February 21, 2018 7:52 PM

After numerous encounters with irresponsible dog owners over many years, I've come to the conclusion that these people aren't trying to be rude but believe the dog is not a problem and that you are. OP has a right to be upset and even nervous because this dog, no matter how small, has claimed OP's yard as his territory. If other people allow their dogs to roam, OP may not have to face just a little dog one morning, but a vicious pack ready to defend the area.

Early one morning I was in the community garden and looked up to see a pack of 'pets' staring back at me. A huskie, a beagle and a mutt. They were all growling, baring their teeth and approaching in a crouch. I knew what that meant and was able to escape by backing up to my car and keeping a sharp tool stretched out. I did it slowly and kept my eyes down. They jumped on the car as I slammed the door shut. I had done nothing to provoke them other than surprise them when I stood up. They were all local dogs and I spoke to one of the owners, the beagle. "Not my little precious" was the gist of the conversation. Her dog eventually bit a kid and was put down.

Just last year, while camping, a dog from the neighboring campsite kept wandering in and growling at us. He'd been allowed to claim the site as his toilet before we got there later in the day. We reported it to the ranger, but you'd think we'd killed it by the way the jerks behaved. The rule was a leash, at all times, and it had to be no longer than 20 feet long. I also watched them turn out their cat in the morning and then watched the cat kill a bird. Nice people. Not only putting fellow campers and wildlife at risk, but also putting their own pets at risk by letting them roam in the wilderness. I never blamed the dog or cat, but the stupid people ignorant of basic animal behavior. What your neighbor is allowing is dangerous to you and his dog, OP. I hope you find a way to resolve it.

by Anonymousreply 37February 21, 2018 8:13 PM

I’ve found dogs like to drink anti freeze.

by Anonymousreply 38February 21, 2018 8:36 PM

In my experience people who let their dogs act like this usually don't have kids. They seriously treat their pets like children and react the way a parent would if you told them their child was acting up.

by Anonymousreply 39February 21, 2018 8:36 PM

Oh God, the assholes in this thread with the 'only psychos hate precious doggie-woos' CAN FUCK RIGHT OFF. You want to know why I hate those fucking things? Because I was attacked by them as a child. I didn't hate them then and they did it anyway. And in one case I honestly thought I was going to get seriously injured, the fucking thing was huge.

So don't give me that shit how wonderful they are. They're as good as the person that owns them and most dog owners seem to be CUNTS.

by Anonymousreply 40February 21, 2018 9:09 PM

Thanks, R37. They do/did seem to think the problem was mine. During our earlier confrontation, I told them about a dog a couple of doors down from me who used to come in my yard and use it as a toilet. I politely asked those neighbors to stop allowing their dog to come here. I haven't seen it since. I saw the dog I bitched about earlier a few minutes ago. The owner had it on a leash walking it in his yard. Maybe the message is getting through?

I think I also made them paranoid. They thought I was the one who had called animal control about the dogs in their backyard. I told them it wasn't me. It wasn't. I think I have had enough interactions with them to understand I am not the type to smile at them and do stuff behind their back. I have had run-ins with them before about loud music. I threatened to call the police once after they refused to turn it down. They did after a few minutes. I think someone actually did call the cops on them, though. They have been quiet lately. They now know I haven't called the police/animal control on them, but do have the number on speed dial if I need it.

I can't wait until I move. It was a seller's market when I bought this house. Numerous houses I looked at would be taken in just a couple of days. The neighborhood seemed quiet, houses kept up, and the crime search did not show this area as bad. If I had only known...

by Anonymousreply 41February 21, 2018 9:17 PM

Obnoxious dog owners are like uber fraus you can't talk sense and responsibility to them. Their little Madysyn stand in can do no wrong and is entitled to everything. So, you either have to use food to make friends with dog so he doesn't growl at you and scoop his poop back onto their property, or spend the money to put up a good fence. Since he's little maybe you can get away with a shorter, less expensive one.

by Anonymousreply 42February 21, 2018 9:40 PM

Oh, so the OP is a broad. The dog probably smelled your female stench and was aghast.

by Anonymousreply 43February 21, 2018 9:43 PM

R43, where in the world do you get that OP is a woman? What the fuck difference does it make?

by Anonymousreply 44February 21, 2018 9:50 PM

Good to hear they're behaving, R41. A small dog out running around is really at risk. A farmer I know once told me that anywhere you are in NE there is a coyote within one mile of you.

by Anonymousreply 45February 21, 2018 10:01 PM

R44 - OP said upthread she's not male. And we're just playing the odds here against all the other non binary gender identities.

by Anonymousreply 46February 21, 2018 10:27 PM

No, R43, it smelled your hateful stench, and went wacko.

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2018 1:03 AM

I hear you about the seller's market and not really knowing what you're getting for neighbors OP. That was the first house I bought. Nicely kept yards, dead end, I had no idea I'd be surrounded; the neighborhood busybody next door, drug addict kid other side, next door (6 mos. after purchase, an overheard fight outside at 1am where said kid was yelling about having a gun. Delightful.), a drug house across the street and straight up assholes diagonally. The drug house was fun (not) - cars parked all over the street at night, teenagers going in with gallons of bleach and once we had a shot up car in front of our house. I took pictures, it was so special.

With the second house, I did more than Google. We drove past the house at all hours literally; weekdays, weekends, morning, noon and night. It's not perfect but we did better. The neighbors with the unsocial Weimaraner are assholes. The dog came to my attention first but turns out the kids are worse. And we have drug addicts diagonally again - this time it's the whole family. The mom is the worst but it's the adult middle kid that gets caught. The rest of the neighborhood was/is nice. We also (land) surveyed our new house as soon as we moved in. I didn't want to guess or assume where the property line was, I wanted to know and it's my number one piece of advice to new homeowners. Unless you property is already well marked, keep out enough money to stake the property line when you buy a house. It's a good for everyone to know the exact line.

by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2018 6:20 PM

I enjoy seeing this happen to people such as OP

by Anonymousreply 49February 22, 2018 6:25 PM

So a dog about the size of a baby rat chased u into your house. Poor baby boy. What a pussy. Why don’t u grab it and stick it in a bag.

by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2018 6:43 PM

I have some ideas but you're not gonna like 'em.

by Anonymousreply 51February 22, 2018 6:45 PM

Ask the OP of the “I trapped my neighbor’s cat” thread.

by Anonymousreply 52February 22, 2018 6:59 PM

I stamp my foot and growl at the dog. They usually run away.

by Anonymousreply 53February 22, 2018 7:09 PM

Yeah - screw the “blame the victims for not being nice enough to the dog” people. No I don’t have to like dogs - they are animals. They are unpredictable potentially violent irrational animals. I’ve been attacked multiple times - despite training on how to deal with them. YOU take care of YOUR dog - or I will get rid of them. Every dog owner thinks THEIR dog would never hurt someone- which is insane. I dont know how many times a dog has run after me - and the owner is like “oh he’s harmless”. I don’t own a gun- but would Use one if I ever get attacked again by your “harmless”dog

by Anonymousreply 54February 22, 2018 7:10 PM

If I were a dog, I'd attack a fuckface like r54.

by Anonymousreply 55February 22, 2018 7:19 PM

There was a similar situation on my parents' street. One dog was the terror of the place. Owners indifferent to complaints, The dog was ruining gardens, shitting on stoops. Somebody killed it and left the carcass on the owners lawn.

by Anonymousreply 56February 22, 2018 7:57 PM

I have a dog and feel it's my responsibility to not let it interfere in other people's lives that haven't asked for it. Your neighbor's a dick and should absolutely respect your yard.

At the same time, there are dogs in the world and so prisspots who think they should never encounter one are just as bad as the owners who inflict them on people. You don't have to love my dog or have anything to do with him but he is a part of this world and you will have to figure out how to coexist with him. I'll do my part - he's trained and leashed and I clean up his messes but precious little snowflakes who freak out at the sight of a Corgi a half a block away need to learn how to live in the world.

by Anonymousreply 57February 22, 2018 8:42 PM

R56's story is a big reason why dogs should not be allowed to roam a neighborhood. People are the most dangerous fucking animals on the planet. R57, no one is talking about your leashed dog as a nuisance, ffs. Get a fucking grip and realize that people who don't like dogs aren't snowflakes.

by Anonymousreply 58February 22, 2018 8:54 PM

not all of them, anyway

by Anonymousreply 59February 22, 2018 9:24 PM

Puppy is not the prisspot of the world.

by Anonymousreply 60February 22, 2018 11:15 PM

[quote]precious little snowflakes who freak out at the sight of a Corgi a half a block away

While I was once as willing to stop and talk to a Corgi as I am any other dog, I must tell you that the only breed of dog who has ever drawn my blood in my adulthood was a Cardigan Corgi. The dog lived in my building and loved herding humans on the elevator. Eventually we had to evict her owner—a completely raving bitch even before she had the dog—because she could not, or would not, control her dog, but being "herded" once makes me reticent around the breed. I don't "freak out at the sight of one, half a block away," but I don't consider them a friendly dog, either.

by Anonymousreply 61February 22, 2018 11:22 PM

R5, there is no such word or punctuation spelled >its'<

by Anonymousreply 62February 22, 2018 11:38 PM

OP, it's too bad you can't afford a neighborhood with completely fenced yards and an HOA. The board member Nazis live for shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 63February 22, 2018 11:52 PM

OP, was the dog well mannered when it came?

by Anonymousreply 64February 22, 2018 11:58 PM

r64 FINALLY!!!

by Anonymousreply 65February 23, 2018 12:01 AM

oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 66April 23, 2018 2:41 AM

butterfly a half pound of sirloin and stuff it with 4 ounces of lye, leave near the property line.....problem solved

by Anonymousreply 67April 23, 2018 2:46 AM

Decades ago, one of my aunts solved the next door dog owners' habit of letting their dog roam by feeding it a bowl of beef stew garnished with a laxative. Shortly after coming back inside the dog made spectacular messes all over the house. Ruined their evening and they never let it roam after that.

by Anonymousreply 68April 23, 2018 2:57 AM

Seriously, R67 and R68 are the only posters making any sense. Solve your own problem, OP.

by Anonymousreply 69April 23, 2018 3:21 AM

Just get a fence. The neighbors don’t want the dog to roam either, but how can you control an animal? Roping is cruel. Their reaction was based on familial loyalty, don’t take it personally. Just get some cheap wire fence. It’s not worth all the drama, and you can remain on civil terms with them.

by Anonymousreply 70April 23, 2018 3:50 AM

R67,r68,r69 I’m gonna throw some water on you all and melt you away! That’s murder!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 23, 2018 3:55 AM

I'd invite the dog in. Dogs are nice.

by Anonymousreply 72April 23, 2018 5:26 AM

Why didn't you want to be friends, Mr Dog was introducing himself and you made him feel bad. I hope he bites you and it gets infected.

by Anonymousreply 73April 23, 2018 5:36 AM

Remember Mr. Dog?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 23, 2018 10:10 AM

R68 had the best solution.

by Anonymousreply 75April 23, 2018 11:44 AM

Folks. Really, poisoning is a solution? First, approach the neighbor and let them know, you really should not let your dog roam. It's not polite to have your dog shitting on my lawn, or anyone else's. There are enough 'my dog would never' dog biting litigations on Judge Judy, Milian, et Al to let you know, they can and will bite. If the neighbor reacts poorly, or does not leash or fence in their dog, call and report to Animal Control. The neighbor will be fined. They will not be happy losing money. 2nd offense, larger fine. No poisoning necessary. You have the right to water spray the dog off your property, if that's the simple answer you need. No poisoning necessary.

by Anonymousreply 76April 23, 2018 2:27 PM

People who hate dogs are bitches!

by Anonymousreply 77April 23, 2018 3:04 PM

Just yell "Get off my Lawn" at the dog.

by Anonymousreply 78April 23, 2018 5:31 PM

[quote]Just get a fence. The neighbors don’t want the dog to roam either

Sorry R70 but some dog owners are assholes. I got a fence because the neighbours kept trespassing and letting their dog on my yard so the would go to the front of the house where there was no fence and trespass and let the dog on the yard. I complained to animal control that they were using their dog to harass me but they didn't care and dismissed it as a neighbour dispute.

by Anonymousreply 79April 23, 2018 10:04 PM

I find that hard to believe R79, unless you are not in the United States. Most, if not all, states have leash laws.

by Anonymousreply 80April 23, 2018 11:28 PM

R80 we also have leash laws but unless I watch them 24 hours a day and get video of their dog on my property the animal control officers say they can't do anything. This is Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 81April 24, 2018 12:44 AM

The people advocating harming animals deserve to be Old Yeller'd. I say that as someone who can't stand most dogs.

by Anonymousreply 82April 24, 2018 12:58 AM

I complained about a woman's dog off leash and they went to her house and talked to her. I had been telling this woman for months she needed to have her dog on a leash and she refused, so it really was my last resort. Of course I also had photos and videos of the dog off leash, which I didn't have to show them.

by Anonymousreply 83April 24, 2018 2:12 AM

Invite the dog in to play.

by Anonymousreply 84April 24, 2018 3:00 AM

Mrs. Jones is a lady on Hudson Street. She sent her dog to bark at my brother and me. We gave her dog a big fat bone, And now he barks at Mrs. Jones. She's a lady who lives on Hudson Street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 24, 2018 3:14 AM

You should move, OP. Go buy a mobile home on 1000 acres of land in Texas. No one wants to be around you.

by Anonymousreply 86April 24, 2018 3:39 AM

the following might work, but it will piss off your neighbors. So only use it if you don't mind or will be moving soon

Buy a Super Soaker water gun and then buy some unsweetened Kool-Aid in a bright color. Mix the Kool-Aid in the water and when a dog enters your yard again you can ensure the dog leaves redecorated in bright purple or red or blue. This won't hurt the dog but will probably annoy your neighbors enough to keep their dog at home.

if you don't want to do that or if the dog is jet black so no color will show up well then get some electric fence wire, posts, and a charger and set up a perimeter fence with that. it's considerably cheaper than most other types of fence If you're in a urban or suburban area the law or may not be on your side with this one. The jolt from an electric fence will not hurt the dog but it will certainly keep it away. They used to sell electric fence chargers specifically for dogs but those were very wimpy things. The ones for sheep and cattle work much better.

by Anonymousreply 87April 24, 2018 4:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!