Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

First Look At Netflix Show 'Lost In Space'

[quote]Lost in Space is a Netflix Original dramatic and modern reimagining of the classic 1960’s science fiction series. Set 30 years in the future, colonization in space is now a reality, and the Robinson family is among those tested and selected to make a new life for themselves in a better world. But when the new colonists find themselves abruptly torn off course en route to their new home they must forge new alliances and work together to survive in a dangerous alien environment, light-years from their original destination.

[quote]Stranded along with the Robinsons are two outsiders who find themselves thrown together by circumstance and a mutual knack for deception. The unsettlingly charismatic Dr. Smith (Parker Posey) is a master manipulator with an inscrutable end game. And the roguish, but inadvertently charming Don West (Ignacio Serricchio) is a highly-skilled, blue collar contractor, who had no intention of joining the colony, let alone crash landing on a lost planet.

Also starring Toby Stephens and Molly Parker. Premieres April 13, 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247May 17, 2020 4:51 PM

First full trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 6, 2018 3:52 PM

As originally conceived "Lost in Space" was a very different show from the car crash it too quickly became. Smith was an evil master of espionage, not a shrieking lovable clown doing a Borscht Belt act with the robot when not hiding behind a 9 year old boy. The casting of Parker Posey gives one hope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 6, 2018 4:16 PM

As a kid Smith was to my mind the perfect definition of a molester.

by Anonymousreply 3March 6, 2018 4:39 PM

"I don't want any salad!!!"

--Judy's plant replicant, disgusted

by Anonymousreply 4March 6, 2018 4:41 PM

Please don't tell me Harvey Fierstein is playing Dr. Smith

by Anonymousreply 5March 6, 2018 4:43 PM

Toby Stephens is a hot ginger daddy!

by Anonymousreply 6March 6, 2018 4:49 PM

Needs More Juno Reactor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 6, 2018 4:58 PM

They'll never match the original's quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 6, 2018 5:01 PM

Why is the oldest daughter black?

by Anonymousreply 9March 6, 2018 5:06 PM

They cast Dr Smith as a woman this time. #InclusionRider !

by Anonymousreply 10March 6, 2018 5:14 PM

I have to admit that I liked the original as a kid but, even allowing for the fact that I'm not a kid anymore, I'm not feeling this one. Those previews just don't do it for me.

by Anonymousreply 11March 6, 2018 5:25 PM

Dr. Smith is a woman and one Robinson daughter is black. Cue the "diversity" whiners heads exploding!

by Anonymousreply 12March 6, 2018 5:40 PM

The new robot looks like a Geth from Mass Effect.

by Anonymousreply 13March 6, 2018 8:10 PM

Will any of the original cast be making cameos?

by Anonymousreply 14March 7, 2018 1:13 AM

No fun allowed! Darkness and threats of violence only!

by Anonymousreply 15March 7, 2018 1:21 AM

Just saw the trailer on Netflix. Darker and grittier, lots of CGI, bla bla bla. None of the silly charm of the original.

by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2018 11:28 PM

There should be another male in it. They are the big fans of sci-fi.

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2018 11:38 PM

I heard the first episode is the worst of the season so perhaps that will turn people off immediately. There are many twists throughout the season for those who enjoy that kind of thing. The robot is sometimes done with CG and sometimes with a guy wearing a suit, so that might shock those who aren't accustomed to that Doctor Who low-budget aesthetic.

r17 Yeah, I'm also hearing it's very female-centric, especially later on.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2018 11:39 PM

Shouldn't at least one of the kids be trans?

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2018 11:41 PM

The 90s movie with William Hurt and Mimi Rogers as the parents was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2018 11:45 PM

On her best day, Parker Posey was never "unsettlingly charismatic."

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2018 11:46 PM

At least they made Don gay.

by Anonymousreply 22April 8, 2018 1:12 AM

[quote]Will any of the original cast be making cameos?

Guy Williams as Moon Dust.

by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2018 1:23 AM

Billy Mumy makes a cameo.

by Anonymousreply 24April 8, 2018 1:39 AM

Hopefully as Lennier.

by Anonymousreply 25April 8, 2018 12:58 PM

Family Guy knew the deal with Dr. Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 8, 2018 1:54 PM

"Reimagining" = " we got the green light strip the husk off another pop cultural icon. Discarding the heart and spirit first, we will now proceed to fill the empty shell with shit and piss."

by Anonymousreply 27April 8, 2018 1:55 PM

I forgot the CGI. Filled with shit and piss, and cold, impersonal, soulless CGI.

by Anonymousreply 28April 8, 2018 2:00 PM

I am so tired of this PC, "intersectional" rubbish.

And before you call me "racist" in your knee-jerk way, I would have had zero problem with them just making the entire family black. But making the family white but with a black daughter, just highlights the "let's show the rainbow" bullshit that casting directors are engaging in now. It distracts from the story. I felt the same about the rainbow family in Wrinkle in Time. Utterly ridiculous. If you want to really be profressive, just make the whole damn family the same ethnic minority.

Anyone who has seen it care to share how it is explained?

by Anonymousreply 29April 8, 2018 2:06 PM

Well, it can't be worse than the movie.

R29, you sound racist.

by Anonymousreply 30April 8, 2018 2:13 PM

How is it racist? I think it would actually be more progressive to just make the whole family black. But making the family white and throwing in a token black is actually more racist, under the guise of "inclusivity."

Stop calling everyone with a different opinion than you "racist," you twat.

by Anonymousreply 31April 8, 2018 2:15 PM

I'll watch this because Maggie Smith's son was a hot ginger fuck in the last show I saw him in - Vexed.

R29 I agree about the casting. Are they even going to acknowledge that the older daughter is black or is the audience going to be left to wonder what the fuck went on. Did the mother fuck around with a black guy? Maybe she was adopted but that doesn't follow reality as those who have both natural and adopted children almost always have natural children first and then, if they want one more but for some reason can't get pregnant again (because the mother is getting older), that's when couples adopt. But the black daughter is the older one which is the reverse. She is credited as Judy Robinson on IMDB but I'm wondering if she's really their daughter (adopted or otherwise) at all. Maybe the girl's parents died (due to whatever the reason is this family make the trek into space - Earth dying or something) and they took the girl in either before or after they had kids of their own.

But if they just cast a black actress for diversity points, it's stupid. Surprised they didn't do the same with the rest of the family. Make one Muslim, one trans, one in a wheelchair, one autistic etc.

by Anonymousreply 32April 8, 2018 2:16 PM

I imagine the daugher's backstory becomes part of the storyline (was she adopted? Who are her birth parents? Is she a kid from a first marriage and one of her partents is her step parent?)

by Anonymousreply 33April 8, 2018 2:28 PM

Judy is the Maureen's daughter to her first husband.

John is her second husband whom she had Will & Penny to.

by Anonymousreply 34April 8, 2018 2:31 PM

r31 So mixed families are somehow less "progressive" than monoracial families? You need the mechanics of her being part of that family spelled out to you by the writers so that... what, exactly? That your mental image of the natural order of things gets affirmed? By a sci-fi TV show about space travel. Dear gods.

Here's a litmus test for you: as long as some black girl triggers you into writing a rant on intersectionality (What has [italic]that[/italic] got to do with this situation?), you're being racist. And stop trying to mask that by exalting all-black families as more progressive; it's not working and is a base tactic on top of that.

by Anonymousreply 35April 8, 2018 2:57 PM

R35 Calm down, Matthew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 8, 2018 3:15 PM

R35...I am not triggered.

But yes. I do think it is actualy more racist that most of these TV shows and movies STILL feature mainly white casts, and expect minorities to be mollified by a single token black character that has to be explained away as a stepchild/adopted child. Rewriting that the mom had been married before, and that this is a daughter from a previous marriage (if this is even the caee) just seems forced. Making the entire Robinson family black would have indeed been a bolder and more progressive move.

by Anonymousreply 37April 8, 2018 9:13 PM

April 13 is a Friday.

by Anonymousreply 38April 8, 2018 9:15 PM

Is it pronounced mummy or moomie?

by Anonymousreply 39April 8, 2018 9:23 PM

It is a contrivance of the original to make the family more diverse and is that really a big deal?

Why so hot and bothered?

Perhaps she should have been their housekeeper on board. Would that make you more happy?

She could turn to Will Robinson and say "What's you talk 'bout wills!"

Another colonist family on the show will be all Asian. Should we get the smelling salts ready?

by Anonymousreply 40April 8, 2018 9:38 PM

Depends, R40. Is the Japanese family going to have a token black kid too?

by Anonymousreply 41April 8, 2018 10:01 PM

It's not a big deal. I'm actually way more bothered that Dr. Smith is a woman.

by Anonymousreply 42April 8, 2018 10:07 PM

R42 I wonder if they made Dr. Smith a woman to distract from the black daughter or made the daughter black to distract from making Dr. Smith a woman.

by Anonymousreply 43April 8, 2018 10:09 PM

I should be pissed about Dr. Smith being a woman in this, but since that woman is Parker Posey I am all in.

by Anonymousreply 44April 8, 2018 10:11 PM

I can't picture Parker Posey as some kind of genius so she's miscast in this. She just doesn't have the gravitas. If they'd cast someone like, say, Sigourney Weaver, that would be a different story.

But Parker Posey as a snarky convenience store worker circa 1996? I'd believe that.

by Anonymousreply 45April 8, 2018 10:17 PM

I saw a clip with her in it. She isn't being jokey. She looks serious, tired, and older.

by Anonymousreply 46April 8, 2018 10:21 PM

When you've made your entire career being a snarky bitch, it's difficult to get people to believe in you when you play something different. Just like many actors who are known for comedy when they do a serious role. Yeah, some comedy actors are great at drama but most of the time you keep waiting for them to start cracking jokes.

by Anonymousreply 47April 8, 2018 10:32 PM

Here's a hint for you all.

Her character is described as a 'con artist'.

Read between the lines of that.

by Anonymousreply 48April 9, 2018 5:23 AM

"How is it racist? "

Someone has to explain "serperate but equal" to you? Really?

by Anonymousreply 49April 9, 2018 5:36 AM

It's pronounced MOOMie, r39. I remember the pronunciation because in the 80s, Billy was in a novelty band called Barnes&Barnes and was a frequent guest on the Dr. Demento show.

by Anonymousreply 50April 9, 2018 5:37 AM

So did they make Dr Smith a woman because all men are assumed to be pedophiles now?

by Anonymousreply 51April 12, 2018 8:35 PM

Just binge watched it and it's pretty great. Love the sy fy adventure.

"Cause I'm a badass(,) Princess!"

by Anonymousreply 52April 13, 2018 11:34 PM

Don & John have dad bods!

by Anonymousreply 53April 14, 2018 6:30 AM

Just found this thread, loving the fire in r35 and r40. The first episode was entertaining enough, will watch more.

Here's hoping they [italic]never[/italic] "explain" why Judy is more melanin-blessed; how about she just fucking [italic]is[/italic]? Reminds one of filmmaker Nicholas Roeg being asked to explain why Buck Henry's character in "The Man Who Fell To Earth" (1976) was gay, and Roeg replying (I'm paraphrasing):

[quote]Because there are gay people in the world.

by Anonymousreply 54April 14, 2018 7:09 AM

What is a bit strange is how young the oldest daughter, Judy (Taylor Russell) looks. It's like she could be the exact same age as the younger daughter (or even younger). Which makes her flirting / interaction with Don a bit creepy.

by Anonymousreply 55April 14, 2018 7:31 AM

Love the cameo of Selma Blair.

by Anonymousreply 56April 14, 2018 7:32 AM

[quote] At least they made Don gay.

Seriously? I hope we get to see Ignacio Serricchio in some explicit man on man sex.

by Anonymousreply 57April 14, 2018 7:42 AM

I could watch Paker Posey con people all day. *LOL* Love those little offbeat moments of her character just pretending to do physical labour (like she pretends she knows what she is supposed to do and prepared for the mission).

by Anonymousreply 58April 14, 2018 7:49 AM

In the original Dr. Smith was a homicidal terrorist...at first, is the character the same in this version?

by Anonymousreply 59April 14, 2018 11:01 AM

The Dr. Smith character reminds me of this manipulative slovenly dyke I worked for years ago. Shifty, lazy and full of self entitlement but knows exactly what she wants and unafraid to grab for it. Somewhere along the way you feel sorry for her, hate her and root for her at the same time! Parker defines the character her own particular way which makes it all the more delicious if you’re a fan of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 14, 2018 11:21 AM

Want to know how I'm going to handle this silly-ass casting?

Easy!

I'm not going to watch this silly-ass show.

That'll teach 'em!

by Anonymousreply 61April 14, 2018 12:03 PM

Just watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. The introduction of Dr. Smith and the Robot especially. It definitely captured the adventure quality and the excitement that the original 12 episodes of the original series strove to achieve before it became camp. And as a fan of the original, I enjoyed the nods to the original. I will watch.

by Anonymousreply 62April 14, 2018 12:29 PM

I watched the first two episodes and was... underwhelmed. I hated the unspoken tension between the whole family - the black daughter was pissy towards everyone and I couldn't figure out why. At least they explained what was going on between the Robinson parents (just about to divorce).

I was distracted while I had it on - among other things, I didn't see how the ship that Dr. Smith was on got destroyed or how the robot got them access to the submerged spaceship. I'm gonna have to re-watch to see if this is something I want to continue or not.

by Anonymousreply 63April 14, 2018 3:45 PM

Yeah, the first three episodes are pretty underwhelming but then it picks up. Didn't really intend to watch past the pilot but then someone here mentioned that one of the characters was gay so I persisted. No sign of homosexuality as of the sixth episode. And I have to say I did not enjoy seeing kids being treated as child soldiers who are being put in needlessly cruel circumstances in the first episode. Reeks of military fetishization, which belongs in another era. Thankfully, the atmosphere is more relaxed going forward.

I still don't fully understand Parker Posey's motivation. Is she just a sociopath, hell-bent on causing havoc for no good reason? All I know is that haircut is lethal and she desperately needs bangs. Because her face right now literally looks like a pear.

All in all, the show looks like a million bucks but the writing is nothing we haven't seen already.

by Anonymousreply 64April 14, 2018 6:19 PM

[quote] Didn't really intend to watch past the pilot but then someone here mentioned that one of the characters was gay so I persisted.

If that's the only reason you watch it you should stop. Seriously.

[quote] I still don't fully understand Parker Posey's motivation. Is she just a sociopath, hell-bent on causing havoc for no good reason?

In one scene Don points out that alll those leaving Earth, to start a new life, take their emotional baggage with them and they make the same mistakes in the colony as they did on Earth. We see that unfold with Parker Posey's character. Desperate to start fresh and yet stumbles from on catastrophic mayem to the next where she has to lie, cheat, steal, kill, in order to "start fresh". No matter how hard to try to escape trouble, trouble will find you when your attitude is all about trouble.

by Anonymousreply 65April 14, 2018 9:31 PM

Sorry,

No matter how hard YOU try to escape trouble, trouble will find you when your attitude is all about trouble.

by Anonymousreply 66April 14, 2018 9:35 PM

God, Parker Posey is awful.

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2018 12:51 AM

r65 Yeah, I finished it just now. I don't understand what r22 got out of lying about that character being gay. I mean... I just want to understand why someone would string people along on a gay message board when we all know how important representation is (to most of us).

Though I don't regret watching it as it's a nice-looking spectacle and the finale was some nail-biting stuff. Can't wait for the next season, actually.

by Anonymousreply 68April 15, 2018 1:46 AM

All the kids are annoying as fuck. Will a bit less than the girls. I can't believe I just watched the oldest dumb bitch waste a ton of the fuel they need to get off the planet to save one guy.

by Anonymousreply 69April 15, 2018 2:56 AM

What's going on with Parker Posey? Per IMDB no marriage, no children, no nothing.

by Anonymousreply 70April 15, 2018 3:13 AM

I didn't know it was against the law not to be a married woman and not have any children. I better hurry up, too.

by Anonymousreply 71April 15, 2018 3:15 AM

[quote]God, Parker Posey is awful.

An IGN review pointed out her character as the biggest flaw in the show.

by Anonymousreply 72April 15, 2018 3:26 AM

[quote]An IGN review pointed out her character as the biggest flaw in the show.

To me she is the best thing. The backstory with her sister (Selma Blair's stinkeye at the end!), her bullshit stories, her cons and schemes (like plotting for Will to turn against his one and only friend outside his family) are entertaining to see. At least for me. And her looking so old and frumpy (after a life of partying, cons, and an endless string of mistakes) with those stained teeth made her look like the truest image of a Datalounger ever.

by Anonymousreply 73April 15, 2018 7:04 AM

I don't think Parker Posey's character was written well enough, but I love her regardless for the reasons r73 stated. She just looks so comical to me, like a perpetual car wreck. A DL patron saint candidate, for sure.

The AV Club gave this a C+ for the first seven episodes. Netflix might want to think about spending some more dough on better writers and less on production design, would be my suggestion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 15, 2018 11:39 AM

I wasnt sure after I started watching....I could handle the Dr. Smith changes, but the robot ?......Im not sure. I enjoyed it though and plan to continue. Remember, the first episodes of any new show are off until they hit their stride.

by Anonymousreply 75April 15, 2018 3:20 PM

I'm just starting episode #7 and still enjoying it, but it's beginning to give me a bit of an "Earth 2" (anyone else remember that show?) vibe, what with all these additional colonists.

I'm not sure how well adding a slew of peripheral characters will serve the show, but I guess I'll find out!

by Anonymousreply 76April 15, 2018 4:34 PM

As a fan of the original, there are a lot of things I really appreciate. Little things like the chariot requiring assembly, Billy Mumy's cameo, even the ladders connecting the decks of the Jupiter 2 - which has a clever explanation for its name. Even the casting of Parker Posey - an obvious nod to the camp element Jonathan Harris brought to the original series. The reasoning behind the bond of the robot's loyalty to Will. The adventure sequences are well done and very much in keeping with the original's attempt at a Swiss Family Robinson type approach.

For the reasons I am very much enjoying this reboot. But obviously this is entirely due to my own nostalgia. I can't tell if someone without this kind of knowledge would find this show compelling.

by Anonymousreply 77April 15, 2018 4:57 PM

There is nothing resembling "Lost In Space" except the characters names.

by Anonymousreply 78April 15, 2018 5:20 PM

r78....you obviously never watched the first season of the original......aside from Dr Smiths origin and the robots origin, and how they became lost, its the same story.

by Anonymousreply 79April 15, 2018 6:25 PM

R78 it's the same premise.

by Anonymousreply 80April 15, 2018 6:54 PM

Two episodes in, and I am most unsettled by the fact that both teenage actresses have had lip injections. Why? I though lip injections were for older women who have lines and thin lips. It’s sad to see beautiful young women (and men) mutilate their faces.

I’ve been in love with Toby Stephens since I first saw him.

by Anonymousreply 81April 15, 2018 7:06 PM

[quote]I still don't fully understand Parker Posey's motivation. Is she just a sociopath, hell-bent on causing havoc for no good reason? All I know is that haircut is lethal and she desperately needs bangs.

They made her motivation clear towards the end of the series. I felt like they painted the character as slightly "too" evil early on. They did at least keep in the original idea that Dr. Smith my be manipulative and sneaky but she does have some weird soft spot for Will.

[quote]I think it would actually be more progressive to just make the whole family black. But making the family white and throwing in a token black is actually more racist, under the guise of "inclusivity." Stop calling everyone with a different opinion than you "racist," you twat

R31, The character is not a "token black." She has a backstory that we haven't heard yet as she is Maureen's biological daughter and John adopted her. They put it in the casting sides so the actress would know. It also explains her relationship towards the parents. It's not like this isn't something that happens in real life so that's why people are calling you a racist.

by Anonymousreply 82April 15, 2018 7:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 15, 2018 7:12 PM

Who was Billy Mumy playing a cameo as?

by Anonymousreply 84April 15, 2018 7:12 PM

r84....the real Dr. Smith.....

by Anonymousreply 85April 15, 2018 7:14 PM

The second daughter should be a lesbian. The actress seems like she is.

by Anonymousreply 86April 15, 2018 7:14 PM

R84, he was the real Dr. Smith that Posey's character took the coat from.

by Anonymousreply 87April 15, 2018 7:14 PM

Toby's cute and competent but his American accent gets pretty tortured at times. I still remember how wonderful his real voice was on Black Sails.

r86 Yeah, they desperately needed a gay character and I'm not talking about someone in the background either. And now it's too late because they're on their own. Having a show (and one set in the future, at that) without a gay character ought to be as weird in 2018 as having an all-white cast is. Bitch, we [italic]everywhere![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 88April 15, 2018 7:20 PM

There's a thread here about celebrities who look better as they age and Toby Stephens is an example. The Maggie Smith was strong in him when he was younger. Much hotter as he aged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 15, 2018 7:31 PM

r89 Oof, you are so right. And that haircut isn't doing him any favours; he'd look so much better with a douchey manbun, and I rarely ever say that.

But we all have photos like that from our youth, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 90April 15, 2018 7:35 PM

Ajay Friese is a cutie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 15, 2018 10:04 PM

R91, he's got a cute dimpled chin.

by Anonymousreply 92April 15, 2018 10:31 PM

R82 I haven’t seen all of it, but I thought Dr. Smith was interested in Will because he controls the robot.

by Anonymousreply 93April 15, 2018 11:08 PM

[quote] it's the same premise.

The original premise is a happy solid family is off in space to find a new planet to inhabit and is thrown off course by stowaway Dr Smith. Nothing about troubled family spending an entire season on one planet with multiple others, a murderous Dr. Smith and robot. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 94April 15, 2018 11:11 PM

R94, you're so literal.

by Anonymousreply 95April 15, 2018 11:51 PM

[R93] I haven’t seen all of it, but I thought Dr. Smith was interested in Will because he controls the robot.

This is one of the problems with the series. They go in pretty hard on making her seem like she's a psycho and possibly even a cold blooded killer for the first 3/4ths of the series but by the end you realize she's much more complex than that. She manipulates everyone and she lies to almost everyone - except she doesn't lie to Will. Even when she's manipulating him she uses the truth to do it. Her core motivation is always self-preservation and that remains consistent throughout the series. However when the character feels safe, you do get to see glimpses of what her real deal is.

[quote]The original premise is a happy solid family is off in space to find a new planet to inhabit and is thrown off course by stowaway Dr Smith. Nothing about troubled family spending an entire season on one planet with multiple others, a murderous Dr. Smith and robot. Sorry.

This is correct R94 but they definitely did some updates that made sense since the original was in 1965. Maureen was a biochemist in the original but most more of a classic TV mom who cooked and cleaned. This time Maureen is an Engineer because women do that now. Judy was supposed to study musical theater in college but traveled with the family instead. Now Maureen is a teenage doctor.

The Dr. Smith changes disappointed me but it's possible that Dr. Smith could turn into the classical TV Dr. Smith since they've laid the groundwork. The robot stuff is explained but it also gets way too complex in comparison to the original series.

by Anonymousreply 96April 16, 2018 12:12 AM

Family is sent into space to settle a new colony and they get lost. A stowaway causes conflict and a fiercely loyal and incredibly talented robot befriends the young boy. Same premise.

by Anonymousreply 97April 16, 2018 12:13 AM

Anyone know what Posey's character's [italic]actual[/italic] qualifications are? Has that been revealed?

by Anonymousreply 98April 16, 2018 12:14 AM

Toby Stephens was iconic as Captain Flint in Black Sails. I don't really know why they made him change his accent for this. Easy back story. One of his parents was British, one American, was raised in the UK until he was a certain age, moved to the US, thus British accent. I first saw him in BBC's Robin Hood. Not a great show but he played Prince John and had a memorable introduction scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 16, 2018 12:48 AM

r99 Wait, is that DL superfave Richard Armitage?!

by Anonymousreply 100April 16, 2018 12:50 AM

Loved this Canadian hottie Jon Cor moving stuff in the background, with his huge-ass forearms pulling all the focus. His IMDb bio is so cute I just had to post parts of it here.

[quote]Jon Cor is a twenty something year-old living himself to death in Toronto, ON. He booked his first audition for a major film franchise while courting multiple agencies at the end of the second year of the Theatre Arts and Performance program at Fanshawe College in London, ON. He may or may not have graduated. He is also a writer, a musician, an acrobat/martial artist and - with great relief - no longer a Ford model.

I like giving shout-outs to people in the background who stand out. And I know he'll appreciate it when his Google Alert brings him here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 16, 2018 1:14 AM

I'd like to congratulate Mr. Cor for his body of work ... with my tongue.

by Anonymousreply 102April 16, 2018 1:59 AM

[quote] Anyone know what Posey's character's actual qualifications are? Has that been revealed?

Which character? Herself, she has none, but she has stolen two identities so far.

by Anonymousreply 103April 16, 2018 2:17 AM

I just finished the fourth episode. I'm enjoying it but it's not great and this isolated planet is getting very crowded. In the first episode they crash land on a strange planet a million miles from home and by the fourth episode they're running across hikers in British Columbia. I've done a lot hiking in B.C. and the lake scene looks very familiar to me.

There's some continuity problems with the show. They were only a couple of feet under the ice in one episode and then they're flying through about a mile of ice in another episode to break free.

by Anonymousreply 104April 16, 2018 4:02 AM

R100 Yes it is Richard Armitage who was playing Sir Guy of Gisbourne. Prince John was a sort of creepy/comical character BBC's Robin Hood, he was ridiculous but also a nasty sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 105April 16, 2018 4:23 AM

[quote]Anyone know what Posey's character's actual qualifications are? Has that been revealed?

R98, like R103 said she technically doesn't have any. You find out in the first few episodes she's a con artist but that makes her good at "acting" which she does a few times with the characters and "reading people" which she does throughout the show -- and she's always right even when it doesn't seem like she is initially.

by Anonymousreply 106April 16, 2018 5:14 AM

I thought it was great fun, and I'm a diehard fan of the original show and all the new scifi shows.

There are lots of inside jokes, too. "Debbie" the chicken has the same name as the bloopy chimp with funny ears. Various characters' names refer to the original actors (June [Lockhart], [Guy] Williamson, etc.), and Bill Mumy's cameo was quick but smart.

The new Don West is a hot jerk, but a different kind of jerk than the original stud. Lots of smart updates, great CGI, an all-too conveniently Canada landscape at times. But still good and different.

Season 2 will be more like the TV show, allegedly, with wacky aliens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 16, 2018 7:12 AM

Judy is encased in ice, we have to hurry and find some magma.... la la la.. lets take a leisurely walk to find it. The glacier is going to crush the Jupiter2, we have to rush and clean the lines to get the engines running... Oh Hi Dr Smith, lets stop and have a nice chat. The writing and pace is deadly slow and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 108April 16, 2018 11:19 AM

The only vaguely attractive person on this show is the black daughter. The show is completely boring and since there are nearly no attractive people to watch, I'm done with it.

by Anonymousreply 109April 16, 2018 11:30 AM

The Indian dad (and leader of the colony) is pretty hot.

by Anonymousreply 110April 16, 2018 11:35 AM

Yeah, Raza Jaffrey is pretty easy on the eyes. Did you know he's married to Lara Pulver?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 16, 2018 11:48 AM

r111, I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 112April 16, 2018 11:54 AM

At least the "Evilgay Character" isnt there anymore

by Anonymousreply 113April 16, 2018 1:18 PM

[quote]Yeah, Raza Jaffrey is pretty easy on the eyes. Did you know he's married to Lara Pulver?

And he can sing too...a gorgeous song from "Bombay Dreams".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 16, 2018 1:39 PM

r114 Eurgh, that made me actively hate Lara Pulver, who's just the discount version of Michelle Gomez anyway. But she's one lucky bitch.

by Anonymousreply 115April 16, 2018 2:06 PM

Nathan Lane would have made a great Dr Smith!

by Anonymousreply 116April 16, 2018 2:32 PM

r116 Oh, God, his scenes would be dripping with camp and he'd just come across like he's in another show entirely. Even Posey is walking a fine line now and then.

by Anonymousreply 117April 16, 2018 2:35 PM

They might as well introduce a real life Roger, the Alien from American Dad to fill the void of the original Dr. Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 16, 2018 2:36 PM

The show needs a bit of camp.

by Anonymousreply 119April 16, 2018 2:36 PM

r118 Now [italic]that[/italic] I'd be totally down with! Roger's the best.

by Anonymousreply 120April 16, 2018 2:38 PM

They ruined it...fine if Maureen is the Alpha but the whole robot killer is ridiculous and Parker Posey as evil Smith is no fun...the original was actually social satire and hilarious and they had to make it dark for the present....Whayt a missed opportunity

by Anonymousreply 121April 16, 2018 2:51 PM

Since Parker Posey actually isn't Dr Smith, they can always bring on the real one. I know in this version they had Billy Mumy do that cameo but they can always explain it away. Bring on Nathan Lane!

by Anonymousreply 122April 16, 2018 2:54 PM

r121....the first season of the original was dark, Dr. Smith wasnt camp, the robot wanted to kill the Robinsons, etc......do pay attention dear.

by Anonymousreply 123April 16, 2018 2:58 PM

Smith was only 'dark in the first 6-10 or so episodes of a 30 episode first season.

He laid on the camp for two thirds of season 1. He even points that out in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 124April 16, 2018 3:12 PM

your point ?

by Anonymousreply 125April 16, 2018 3:37 PM

"The show is completely boring and since there are nearly no attractive people to watch, I'm done with it. " - R109

Not unlike the life of an average bitchy DLer, whose only thrill is trash the work of hundreds of much more creative people.

by Anonymousreply 126April 16, 2018 4:09 PM

I watched the whole thing because it was a slow weekend. The biggest problems are poor writing which results in last minute miracles that solve the situation, poorly motivated characters and physics defying plot lines.

by Anonymousreply 127April 16, 2018 5:06 PM

[quote]Judy is encased in ice, we have to hurry and find some magma...

R108 needs a sip of her Milk of Magma today.

by Anonymousreply 128April 16, 2018 5:45 PM

Tom&Lorenzo ain't feeling this one either.

[quote]Lost in Space was a huge disappointment overall, mainly because everything but the character names was stripped from the concept. What was once a rollicking family-based sci-fi adventure story is now a dreary family drama with sci-fi trappings about people who really don’t seem to like each other very much – until the script remembers that they’re supposed to and makes them literally hug it out.

[quote]The ultimate in high concept television – they’re lost, in space – not only wound up far more complicated than it needed to be, but actually lied to the audience about what they were watching. Literally 98 percent of the action of the first season takes place firmly on land, either on the vaguely yellow-skied earth, which we are told is about to become a hellscape (but all we ever see of it looks pretty much exactly like 2018) or on Planet Canadia, that verdant, leafy world found in so many sci-fi productions that we’re not supposed to notice looks exactly like British Columbia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129April 16, 2018 5:47 PM

^^ Ouch.

[quote]And while each of the cast was fine in their roles, there’s an automatic problem casting a man who looks every minute of his 35 years to play Don West and flirt with the 18 year-old character played by an actress who could pass for at least three years younger. Why do that? Every scene of Don and Judy together dripped with creepy undertones. How was that not obvious in the production?

by Anonymousreply 130April 16, 2018 5:57 PM

Millennials

by Anonymousreply 131April 16, 2018 6:07 PM

r131 Please explain.

by Anonymousreply 132April 16, 2018 6:10 PM

r132....its self explanatory. Think about it.

by Anonymousreply 133April 16, 2018 6:12 PM

r133 Are you referring to the writers, the actors, the audience, the critics, Millennials on DL...?

by Anonymousreply 134April 16, 2018 6:15 PM

I don't mind at all Judy is now black--with adoption these things are pretty believable these days.

by Anonymousreply 135April 16, 2018 6:17 PM

[quote] The only vaguely attractive person on this show is the black daughter.

If you don't find Toby Stephens attractive I'm afraid there is no hope for you.

by Anonymousreply 136April 16, 2018 6:19 PM

[quote] I've done a lot hiking in B.C. and the lake scene looks very familiar to me.

You're hardly very representative of the audience for this show. How many of their viewers do you suppose go hiking in the wilds of British Columbia?

by Anonymousreply 137April 16, 2018 6:20 PM

r135 These days? You say that like adoption is something that had only been instituted in the last decade or so.

I wish posters (especially here on DL) who bring up Judy being black would rather focus their energy on the fact that there don't seem to be any gay people in that universe. And if I hear another Alien: Covenant "argument" that gay people can't possibly bring anything to colonization efforts, I shall flip the fuck out, again.

by Anonymousreply 138April 16, 2018 6:26 PM

I'm 5 episodes in and frankly I'm not sure if I want to keep going. I don't love it, but I also don't hate it. There is nothing in it that has really grabbed my attention and made me feel like damn I what happens next. It's kind of boring and there's not a single character that I really have latched onto. It's the same problem I had with the early part of Star Trek Discovery except where Discovery tried to cram too many twists and turns in an episode, Lost in Space just seems to stretch on.

That being said, Toby Stephens needs to bend me over and own my ass.

by Anonymousreply 139April 16, 2018 6:32 PM

My bitch about all this as an old school nerd, is that everything that used to be niche has to be rebooted for a mainstream audience. And I'm sorry, but with all the glitz and glamour of modern special effects, the soul of the classic shows is completely lost.

I will leave Star Wars out of this, as it always had broad blockbuster appeal, but I have seen it happen with my two old standbys: Star Trek and Doctor Who. Both of those franchises used to be for hardcore nerds, and I remember getting routinely made fun of as a skinny, pimply teenager for being into Doctor Who. Even with the 80s/90s Star Trek incarnations (TNG, DS9, and Voyager) , it was still aimed at that niche group of fans. The only Star Trek movie that really had mainstream appeal was 4 (the one with the whales), because it was a time travel story that showed the cast in modern day San Francisco, and you didn't need to really be a hardcore fan to know what was going on.

Nowadays, everything is about mainstream appeal. Doctor Who now requires young, handsome actors who have flings with their companions (none of the classic Doctors were anywhere close to young or hot, except maybe Peter Davison, and the companions were never meant to be love interests). It--like the Star Trek reboot--is all about big special effects over the invention and soul that came from the lower budget originals. And don't even get me started on the PC gender swap of making the Doctor female (and before you go all SJW on me, remember that the new Doctor is a young, pretty white lady and the existing black lesbian companion was quickly disposed of to make room for her).

And now this...Lost in Space. No one but total nerds are familiar with that show, which is now being marketed to the masses. And it will lose a ton in translation, just like ST and DW.

So tired of it. Miss the days when hardcore scifi fandom was more intimate and niche.

by Anonymousreply 140April 16, 2018 7:24 PM

[quote]Miss the days when hardcore scifi fandom was more intimate and niche.

Coded language if I ever saw one. If you are unable to see all the exclusion that was going on back in the "good ol' days", especially when it comes to homosexuals and people of colour, then I really can't help you.

I'll just say that nostalgia is one helluva drug and leave it at that.

by Anonymousreply 141April 16, 2018 7:47 PM

Uh...no, R141. And a big fuck you.

Gene Roddenberry was a big liberal way ahead of his time. Against network wishes, he stuck Uhura--a black female--as a bridge officer and refused to let her go. The original Trek had TV's first interracial kiss. TNG and DS9 had a slew of gay-friendly episodes, culminating in the first lesbian kiss in sci-fi dom. Doctor Who had female scientists and even predicted a female prime minister way before Maggie Thatcher. Those shows were fucking groundbreaking.

But you like a lot of shiny tat, and are too easily distracted by modern special effects to have any idea what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 142April 16, 2018 8:44 PM

I kept waiting for Parker Posey to cheer up and shout, "Hey, hey, hell-eww!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143April 16, 2018 9:32 PM

I have absolutely no idea who Tom & Lorenzo are but they wrote...

[quote]Lost in Space was a huge disappointment overall, mainly because everything but the character names was stripped from the concept.... What was once a rollicking family-based sci-fi adventure story is now a dreary family drama with sci-fi trappings about people who really don’t seem to like each other very much – until the script remembers that they’re supposed to and makes them literally hug it out. Literally 98 percent of the action of the first season takes place firmly on land, either on the vaguely yellow-skied earth, which we are told is about to become a hellscape (but all we ever see of it looks pretty much exactly like 2018)

I wrote up at R78

[quote] There is nothing resembling "Lost In Space" except the characters names. & The original premise is a happy solid family is off in space to find a new planet to inhabit and is thrown off course by stowaway Dr Smith. Nothing about troubled family spending an entire season on one planet with multiple others, a murderous Dr. Smith and robot. Sorry.

I feel vindicated!

by Anonymousreply 144April 16, 2018 10:56 PM

And worst of all, the chimp Debbie was recast as a chicken! Anti-simian! Poultry Agenda!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 16, 2018 10:59 PM

[quote]I don't think Parker Posey's character was written well enough, but I love her regardless for the reasons [R73] stated. She just looks so comical to me, like a perpetual car wreck.

The part is definitely underwritten, from what I've seen so far, but a far bigger problem for me is that every character Posey plays seems exactly like every other character she plays. I wish Selma Blair were the regular cast member.

by Anonymousreply 146April 17, 2018 10:27 PM

Don looks like he's heading down the Ryker road where he gets fatter and fatter with each season and the corsets start coming out.

by Anonymousreply 147April 17, 2018 11:29 PM

I got up to the 4th episode but I'm bailing. I just cannot take the sibling bantering between the three kids - the constant one-upmanship (with the unspoken "but they love each other") and needless teen angst grates. Then the scene where Penny sees a guy near her age and it was telegraphed that she was in instant teen love with him - blurgh. The actor who plays Don West needs to take the brash/cocky down about 100 notches. This is not a show for me.

by Anonymousreply 148April 19, 2018 5:07 PM

R78 and r109 agreed. The only thing cool is the robot and the damn kid told it to commit suicide. No eye candy either. This is the first time in my life I actually wondered if the 2 main male characters are wearing girdles. Too many side stories that are boring too. I’ll watch the last episode or two but if they can’t get their shit figured out and act like they are high tech space explorers I’m probably not going to waste my time with next season. They probably should have called this “little house on the prairie in space”.

by Anonymousreply 149April 19, 2018 6:26 PM

At least Victor(Raza Jeffrey) has kept his figure.

The other two leads need to hit the treadmill.

They must have both spent the majority of the time at the catering van during the shoot.

by Anonymousreply 150April 19, 2018 9:29 PM

Girls calm down. It's a fun, well acted series. The kids are great. Real people do have multifaceted personalities and argue a lot. Production values are peerless. Never saw a better looking tv show, in pre production planning 4 years, planning 2, filming 7 months. Cost $100 million. I find the 3 male leads very hot. I'd bend over for Toby, and I'm a top. I dont usually like sci fi but do like this. And hey, who wants the old nelly Joanathan back? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 151April 19, 2018 10:02 PM

Sorry R151 but this is anything but fun.

by Anonymousreply 152April 19, 2018 10:04 PM

Disagree. It is an action adventure thrill ride. Don't over analyze, don't look for science errors. It's science fiction.

If only we could have a 30 year old Mark Goddard in it though, stripped to the waist and wearing tight shorts. He is still a nice looking guy.

by Anonymousreply 153April 19, 2018 10:25 PM

[quote] Don't over analyze, don't look for science errors.

Are you high? Who the fuck is looking for science errors? It's barely entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 154April 19, 2018 11:30 PM

The whole was less than the sum of its parts, unfortunately.

Couldn't work out what Cherie Blair was doing in it either.

by Anonymousreply 155April 19, 2018 11:54 PM

Which episode did Jon Cor and his forearms appear in? :)

by Anonymousreply 156April 20, 2018 1:40 AM

Hunty if you don't like it don't watch it and don't waste time on here complaining about it. You could be out searching for dick, that's more fun.

by Anonymousreply 157April 20, 2018 2:19 AM

I think it's funny that far into the future, a global effort to save mankind still refuses to switch to metric!

Miles and gallons are referred to several times. Hilarious U.S.-biased POV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158April 20, 2018 9:18 PM

[quote] I think it's funny that far into the future, a global effort to save mankind still refuses to switch to metric! Miles and gallons are referred to several times. Hilarious U.S.-biased POV.

What part of ...

[quote] Don't over analyze, don't look for science errors. It's science fiction.

DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!?!

by Anonymousreply 159April 20, 2018 9:37 PM

R156 Episode 9, just before the 40-minute mark. And I fucked it up a bit; it's biceps, not forearms. Still, they are quite something.

I see now he has also appeared in ten episodes of Shadowhunters. I knew he looked familiar!

by Anonymousreply 160April 20, 2018 9:54 PM

The flashbacks remind me of Lost. They are basically doing Lost, in space.

by Anonymousreply 161April 20, 2018 9:55 PM

I thought the same thing, r161 -- I'm hoping the big reveal isn't that they are all dead.

by Anonymousreply 162April 20, 2018 10:09 PM

Its giving character backgrounds so you understand their motivations for their actions. Nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 163April 20, 2018 10:38 PM

"Lost, in space. "

VERY clever!

I'm hoping for wacky aliens through Season 2. It's rather humorless except for Posey/Dr. Smith.

by Anonymousreply 164April 20, 2018 11:12 PM

Handsome, pretty handsome Dr Smith!

Athena like. You make nose wiggle. Hahahahha.....

by Anonymousreply 165April 20, 2018 11:14 PM

Here's a sweet Biography show about Jonathan Harris:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166April 21, 2018 12:47 AM

Nine of the most ridiculous scenes from Lost In Space (original series)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167April 21, 2018 12:55 AM

Pay attention girl. It's set 30 years in the future, not 300. Keep telling yourself, it's only a television series. And girls, do some research on an old series, The New People. You will see what Lost copied from. I disagree this is copying Lost, which was so stupid, they didn't know what to do with it. Bad writing, no concept.

by Anonymousreply 168April 21, 2018 1:06 AM

Jesus Christ, really? That's how the family reacts to the explosion? Oh well la la la. Who wrote this shit?

by Anonymousreply 169April 22, 2018 1:15 AM

I'm up to episode 6 and the show is giving me flashbacks to that Fox show that bombed a few years ago Terra Nova, which turned into a 'teens in space' farce. Stupid teen garbage that set me off: I want Penny to die in the waterfall that she insists going to with the cute boy, even though the water may be poisonous and creatures invaded their camp the night before.

by Anonymousreply 170April 22, 2018 3:51 AM

Wait for Don & Victor's(Raza Jeffrey) kiss in episode 9.

by Anonymousreply 171April 22, 2018 6:35 AM

Good to see Cherie Blair in a starring role. I think she plays Dr Smith quite well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172April 22, 2018 9:55 AM

The guys screaming "it is just science fiction so don't pay attention to the science!" are being ridiculous.

In order for any fiction to work, you have to be able to suspend disbelief. As a writer, you have to do a bit of world-building in order for it to he consistent. Otherwise, you get the scifi equivalent of "Why is there a kitchen window above the sink in the Golden Girls when clearly there is a hallway there?"

Sci-fi and fantasy still need good, consistent writing; they can't just make up any old nonsense that can be changed from episode to episode. Look at the Star Trek TNG era as an example. They had actual scientists like Michael Okuda there to advise them, and even went so far as to have a technical bible so they could have consistency and continuity. No, warp drove and transporters are not real, but they absolutely could be one day. And the ST writers were able to explain how they worked or might work.

Writing scifi/fantasy is no excuse for inconsistency, lack of continuity, or bad writing. And from what I am hearing about this new Lost in Space, I won't be watching it.

by Anonymousreply 173April 22, 2018 11:01 AM

I'll also add that a huge chunk of sci-fi fans are actual scientists, so with that genre you can't just get away with any old nonsense. You have to create something based on real science or speculative science to back your story up. Otherwise, you are turning off your biggest demographic.

by Anonymousreply 174April 22, 2018 11:10 AM

r173 James Cameron was talking about that in this article from yesterday, which is now trending on Twitter because of his other remarks about Avengers fatigue.

[quote]But because he’s been busy with that universe, Cameron admitted that “I would say I don’t have a good sense, my finger on the pulse of the zeitgeist today because I haven’t had a TV show or movie out recently. So I don’t know where tastes are going in respect to science fiction.”

[quote]That being said, he does note that sci-fi stories have split a bit into two realms, at least when it comes to depitcing science: “We can see the market drives us to a sort of science fiction now thats either completely escapist and doesn’t require a technical consultant — an example of that would be ‘Guardians of the Galaxy.’ It’s just fun,” he said. “We don’t care how those spaceships work or any of that stuff works. And then you have scientifically responsible science fiction like ‘The Martian’ or ‘Interstellar.'”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175April 22, 2018 11:39 AM

R170 through R175 are the same person. Star Trek actual science. Really? ALL Star Trek is trite and stupid , cheaply made and boring. Fans tend to be lifelong, sex free nerds living in their parents basements. The

by Anonymousreply 176April 22, 2018 3:20 PM

r176 I am the OP of this thread and I haven't posted since r160.

Get your facts right and grow up.

by Anonymousreply 177April 22, 2018 3:23 PM

The show seems more like a remake of Earth 2 than it does Lost in Space.

by Anonymousreply 178April 23, 2018 12:23 AM

[R 160 ] Thank you for identifying the episode with the guy and the nice biceps was ;)

by Anonymousreply 179April 23, 2018 3:52 AM

Sorry for that typo.. [R 160 ] Thank you for identifying the episode with WHO the guy WITH the nice biceps was ;)

by Anonymousreply 180April 23, 2018 4:03 AM

r180....no space between the R and the post number.....just how it looks ( but no parenthesis)........r180

by Anonymousreply 181April 23, 2018 4:08 AM

R170, Yep, the switch to focus on teen angst destroyed Terra Nova. I thought the dad (Jason O'Mara) was hot. He showed up for a while on SHIELD a season or two ago.

by Anonymousreply 182April 23, 2018 4:41 AM

I love this show. The kids are great and it's a nice reboot.

by Anonymousreply 183April 23, 2018 4:47 AM

I thought the robot was the gay character. Did you see his ass?! What a hottie!

by Anonymousreply 184April 23, 2018 5:23 AM

I watched the whole thing over a couple of days last weekend. I kept feeling like I was watching that "Falling Skies" series with Noah Wylie, for some reason. They spent the whole series wandering lost in Canada, not space, and whenever they were in imminent mortal danger they seemed to find time to hash out their family relationships, even when there were only seconds to spare. "We're about to die any second, but let's talk about our feelings for 20 minutes, shall we?"

by Anonymousreply 185April 23, 2018 7:54 AM

r185, that's what you have to do when you want to appeal to several demographics. Teenagers, the fraus, the sy fy geeks, etc.

by Anonymousreply 186April 23, 2018 8:43 AM

I'm five episodes into it right now. Posey as Dr. Smith is interesting. And the robot - there's so much wrong with that plot device that I can't even begin. The CGI is pretty good for a rebooted TV Series. The old series was so cheesy it wasn't funny.

Computers for example - they thought back then all computers were was blinking lights. Now of course we get floating screens. Much better.

by Anonymousreply 187April 23, 2018 12:13 PM

The first series was filmed in 1964! It had the highest budget for any tv series in history till then. The first 5 or 6 episodes look great for that time. Compare to the jerky animation of star trek sfx.

by Anonymousreply 188April 23, 2018 12:20 PM

r187......the original series happened at a time when we had not even been to the moon yet....everything was speculation.....and computers were room size with a lot of blinking lights. Everything you saw on screen was a visualization of someones made up fantasy. You must be real young.

by Anonymousreply 189April 23, 2018 2:08 PM

Try and top old series Maureen's washing machine that washes, dries, folds and seals in plastic wrap in about 10 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 190April 23, 2018 2:37 PM

The original also employed many legacy art/design/science fiction film people to deskgn spaceships and ro ot. Netflix consulted NASA about technology/New developments, for example using bodies for fuel, they are working on that.

by Anonymousreply 191April 24, 2018 1:10 AM

Nothing about that new robot comes close to the coolness of the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192April 24, 2018 2:56 AM

R188, I love the first few episodes of the original series. It's real Science Ficiton instead of the campy nonsense it would become later.

by Anonymousreply 193April 24, 2018 3:01 AM

Ratings good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194April 25, 2018 1:08 AM

I watched all 10 and really enjoyed it. It’s unabashedly sci-if with good actors. The only weak link is Dr. Smith. She has no value whatsoever to the show. They are way too nice to her and I hope they figure out a better storyline for her in Season 2. But I am not surprised the show is a hit all over the world. It’s fun, suspenseful and shor lije a big budget movie. I loved the prior show and this reboot is very well done

by Anonymousreply 195May 2, 2018 11:57 PM

* shot like

by Anonymousreply 196May 2, 2018 11:58 PM

I love the show. It's the first must see show for me since Mad Men. I love Dr. Smith too. Well love to hate her.

by Anonymousreply 197May 3, 2018 12:36 AM

Love it. Well written and acted and a thrill a minute. Breathtaking special effects and cinematography. Superior to Star Trek and Star Wars. I'd bend over/get on my hunnyknees for Toby Stephen.

by Anonymousreply 198May 3, 2018 12:39 AM

The special effects really are top drawer. Dr. Smith's flashback with her sister was fucking hysterical. Everyone I know who is watching this absolutely loves it. Even those that aren't necessarily sci-fi fans. Sci-fi never gets the credit it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 199May 3, 2018 12:46 AM

As much as I love Parker Posey, her character is a psychopathic murderer with absolutely no skills. In real life, she would be jettisoned off the ship or put to death for killing people and being so useless.

by Anonymousreply 200May 3, 2018 12:47 AM

[quote]Superior to Star Trek and Star Wars.

It has no gays in it so it can't be superior to Star Trek. Unless you're a homophobe, that is.

by Anonymousreply 201May 3, 2018 1:01 AM

I love how she gets out of work though. She shares that quality with the original Dr. Smith. I think she's a great character. She makes you laugh one moment and then you want to punch her lights out the next. I love the actor they got to play Will. He's very impressive. A natural child actor. No ticks or mannerism and doesn't fall back on cutesy.

by Anonymousreply 202May 3, 2018 1:01 AM

Love Dr Smith because she's a trainwreck and she drives me up the wall with her constant scheming. But yes, she's totally useless otherwise.

r202 The script was letting the kid down, though, as they had him crying in almost every episode. Lazy writing.

by Anonymousreply 203May 3, 2018 1:14 AM

SPOILER - The Dr. Smith character seems off with the tone of the other characters and their stories - by my count, she has murdered two people including her own sister.

by Anonymousreply 204May 3, 2018 1:24 AM

She didn't murder her sister. She only knocked her out then tied her up.

by Anonymousreply 205May 3, 2018 1:29 AM

But she did basically execute her sister's lover, didn't she? That was pretty fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 206May 3, 2018 1:31 AM

I loved how Dr. Smith told the crippled girl to enjoy her walk. LOL. Plus I'm glad Parker is in a big fucking hit.

by Anonymousreply 207May 3, 2018 1:32 AM

SPOILER - Unless something happens in the last several episodes that I haven't seen, Dr Smith didn't kill her sister, at least not outright. She drugged her and made a small incision in the sister's wrist to remove her ID chip. When Dr. Smith is shown leaving the house, behind her, inside the house, the sister can be seen bound and gagged, but alive and awake. That scene, at least, left open the question of whether or not the sister could be expected to be rescued soon by returning family.

by Anonymousreply 208May 3, 2018 1:34 AM

I think you are rationalizing her psychotic behavior, but whatever

by Anonymousreply 209May 3, 2018 1:38 AM

Dr. Smith is definitely a murderer - that is clear. What’s not clear is why the writers made her a psychopath and have no skills

by Anonymousreply 210May 3, 2018 1:41 AM

[quote]I think you are rationalizing her psychotic behavior, but whatever

By simply pointing out the fact that the sister is still alive at the end of that scene? Really? Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 211May 3, 2018 1:50 AM

I love how she gets under people's skin even in a thread.

by Anonymousreply 212May 3, 2018 1:52 AM

Maybe to you it’s normal to drug your sibling, and cut something out of her arm while she is unconscious, but I don’t know the extent of your mental damage

by Anonymousreply 213May 3, 2018 2:00 AM

Where on Earth did I suggest any of that nonsense, R213? I didn't at all. For all we know, she left her sister to die a long, gruesome death, a far worse action than a swift painless murder. You're drastically over-reacting to a simple correction of the fact. Rein it in.

by Anonymousreply 214May 3, 2018 2:04 AM

Never mind. Clearly Dr. Smith reminds you of yourself

by Anonymousreply 215May 3, 2018 2:06 AM

Why are we focusing on her sister?! She literally allowed the sister's lover/boyfriend to get sucked into open space, thus executing him. Is his character not worth as much because he wasn't portrayed by a relatively well-known actor or what?

by Anonymousreply 216May 3, 2018 2:08 AM

The original Dr. Smith first appeared as a diabolical saboteur who does kill someone if I remember correctly. He's also bent on destroying the Robinson's ship with the family onboard. Until he is trapped on the ship along with the family.

Posey's casting is brilliant in my opinion because she's bringing the sinister but her persona opens the possibility for the kind of humor and camp Jonathan Harris eventually added to the role. Also a male in this role in the reboot would probably cause un PC pedo cries if the character becomes as entwined with the Will Robinson character as the original series did.

by Anonymousreply 217May 3, 2018 2:10 AM

Yes, she is a murderer

by Anonymousreply 218May 3, 2018 2:10 AM

OK, I'm off to an evening enjoying the company of friends. I'll leave the frothing imbecile at r215 behind, if you all don't mind.

by Anonymousreply 219May 3, 2018 2:10 AM

Good night, Dr. Smith

by Anonymousreply 220May 3, 2018 2:12 AM

R201 everything about lost in space is far superior to Star trek. Need I remind you it took star trek over 40 years to add gay? I don't follow trek because it bores me, I don't even know if they have gay now. If they do, it is a recent addition.

by Anonymousreply 221May 3, 2018 2:18 AM

This show is a colossal piece of shit.I could barely get through the first two episodes before I gave up. I was really looking forward to this and I'm so disappointed. The acting is amateurish at best and those of you who think Posey is brilliant must be the same ones who think Gaga will win an Oscar for A Bore is Starred.

by Anonymousreply 222May 3, 2018 2:26 AM

R222 another unhappy bitchy surly no sex DL nasty lonely bitch. Go away. Let happier thoughts prevail. Go pine away for crooked Hilaree.

by Anonymousreply 223May 3, 2018 2:31 AM

I only drugged my sister because I needed to get off earth. She had everything handed to her and I was desperate. It was self-defense when that man attacked me on The Resolute. The Robinsons need me more than I need them. I get things done

by Anonymousreply 224May 3, 2018 2:37 AM

Go fuck yourself R223

by Anonymousreply 225May 3, 2018 2:59 AM

They should poison Dr. Smith.

by Anonymousreply 226May 3, 2018 3:05 AM

My goodness, R220! You certainly don’t like to be corrected, even when that correction is done as a gentle FYI, without an initial trace of insult or malice of any kind. And that is, of course, all that this is about. BTW, that was a common misperception of that scene, and you were far from alone in drawing that conclusion. For that I blame the production for making that point needlessly obscure. No need to invent silly smokescreens to obscure your needless embarrassment over being one of many people not catching a very discrete background detail. Rein it in.

by Anonymousreply 227May 3, 2018 5:26 AM

As a fan of the original, I love the reboot. It recreates everything the original series tried to capture in the first season. Adventure, sci fi, family. I don't get the hate. The production values are high and the actors are all excellent in my opinion.

It's basically a big silly Swiss Family Robinson at its core and it works very well on that level.

by Anonymousreply 228May 3, 2018 7:08 AM

[quote]I love the actor they got to play Will. He's very impressive.

Too true, r292. He makes Toby Stephens look like a ham whenever they’re in the same scene—probably because Stephens can’t quite get that American-neutral macho accent right, but mainly because this kid can [italic]act[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 229May 3, 2018 10:36 AM

Sorry, I meant r202.

by Anonymousreply 230May 3, 2018 10:38 AM

[quote] But I am not surprised the show is a hit all over the world. It’s fun, suspenseful and shor lije a big budget movie.

Yet still no season two renewal and the special effects take months to do.

by Anonymousreply 231May 3, 2018 11:11 AM

I think you need to “rein it in” Dr. Smith - we know how much you resemble this shady character

by Anonymousreply 232May 3, 2018 5:36 PM

Alllllright, butthurt little R232. Let's hear you explain why my simple correction of your mischaracterization makes me the psychopathic Dr. Smith. Remember I've already made the point that by leaving her sister tied up she could have been dooming her to a much worse death than the one you incorrectly assumed, and which would make her character even more demented than if she really had just slit her sister's wrist while she was unconscious. My correction leaves open the possibility of a more psychotic character without any apologetics applied.

So go ahead, make your case. We've seen your reactionary psychopathic response to your silly embarrassment. Let's see if you're capable of a reasoned response. I already know the answer.

by Anonymousreply 233May 3, 2018 9:42 PM

You are nuts Dr. Smith - a crazy woman who takes this family show WAY too seriously

by Anonymousreply 234May 3, 2018 9:45 PM

So you've got nothing, just more stupid butthurt hot air blowing out your ass.

Blocked for gross stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 235May 3, 2018 9:48 PM

I couldn't get into it. boring cast...scripts: meh.

more hotties plz

by Anonymousreply 236May 3, 2018 9:51 PM

Have fun in your empty cell, Dr. Smith

by Anonymousreply 237May 3, 2018 9:51 PM

Just bumped into this thread. So my butthurt people over black girls casting. Who the heck even cares anymore? That's the beauty of watching the show with kids. I'm watching with my nephew & nieces and they didn't even notice she's black. There was an explanation that the girl came before the dad came into the picture. It doesn't seem forced in the least. Btw Dr Smith is really trying our patience right now. She's isn't just bad. She's pathetically evil. Maybe that's the point. But god we all hate to see her face

by Anonymousreply 238May 3, 2018 9:52 PM

I got over the colored girl by about the third episode. I will say I was crossing my fingers when she was under the ice.

by Anonymousreply 239May 3, 2018 9:57 PM

Maureen Robinson a divorcee? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 240May 3, 2018 11:46 PM

Lovi g Judy, love all the kids. This is a new show kids. Cannot and should not be like the old one.

by Anonymousreply 241May 4, 2018 1:17 AM

I want live action, non cartoon version of The Jetsons. Jon Hamm can play George.

by Anonymousreply 242May 4, 2018 1:20 AM

Snooze... I'd hoped Parker Posey was going to torture that boring family. But the whole thing just sucked.

by Anonymousreply 243May 4, 2018 1:24 AM

[bold]Lost in Space star says there's definitely talk about a season 2: "It looks good"[/bold]

[quote]Maxwell Jenkins, who plays Will Robinson in the Netflix show, told Digital Spy: "We don't have any word on a season two yet. Everyone in the cast has their fingers crossed and we are hoping.

[quote]"We didn't have many talks about the future during filming the first season but definitely now we are talking about what we would do if we got picked up for a season two, where would our characters go?

[quote]"I'm really hoping that Will Robinson grows up and becomes a teenager and makes some mistakes and learns how to fix those mistakes."

I also think it's looking good, kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244May 9, 2018 3:59 PM

Renewed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245May 14, 2018 3:10 PM

Filming in Iceland right now, had to get special permission to film in protected areas. I hope they de emphasize Smith. Don't like her, maybe Will should have thd robot ditch her.

by Anonymousreply 246October 24, 2018 12:53 AM

I am watching Season 1 now.

Toby Stephens is HOT AS FUCK. Seriously a sexy, sexy man. Wish this was on HBO so there could be lots of gratuitous nude scenes with him. Would love to see some nude sex scenes with him. His accent needs some work, but he's just nice to look at. He should've just done his normal British accent.

Penny and Maureen are probably two of the most unlikable characters on TV in the past 20 years. So irritating and difficult to watch. Shrewish mom and shrew daughter in training. The characters have no redeeming value at all other than to browbeat the father into suicidal ideation. It's no wonder the Toby character wanted to spend as much time away from them as possible.

Selma Blair's cameo...damn, is she a good-looking woman or what? Absolutely stunning woman. I know this was before her health crisis, but she was mesmerizing to look at in HD. Simply beautiful.

Parker Posey is fun to watch. She's playing the low-IQ con woman angle perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 247May 17, 2020 4:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!