Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Baseball 2018

Since the start of Spring Training is only more than a week away - February 23 - this can be the thread for all baseball fans on DL. Who's coming back and who isn't (trades, injuries), which teams look good in training and then, finally... Opening Day!

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2018 2:41 AM

I still love you, Buster Posey.

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2018 10:54 PM

Joey Votto - embracing his thickness.

Jokes about working on his fatness in the offseason. Guess the more lean body he's been sporting the past couple of seasons is gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2018 7:54 PM

Gabe Kapler, the Phillies' new manager, at spring training

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2018 5:01 AM

I realize that this isn't big time MLB, but Tim Tebow is coming back to PSL very soon!!

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2018 5:07 AM

Sexy Eric Hosmer is coming to San Diego!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2018 3:45 AM

[quote] Joey Votto - embracing his thickness.

Joey Votto has womanly hips.

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2018 3:48 AM

Gurrrl, Russell Wilson will be getting fucked by Giancarlo Stanton this weekend!

Russell is so thirsty....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2018 3:54 AM

Spring training games!

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2018 2:06 PM

Anyone watching or at the games?

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2018 6:44 PM

BREAKING: Lincecum heading to Rangers

By Oliver Macklin, MLB.com, 38 minutes ago

Two-time Cy Young Award winner and three-time World Series champion Tim Lincecum will go to Texas, according to MLB Network Insider Jon Heyman.

The right-hander will try and compete for a bullpen spot, according to Yahoo! Sports, which notes that Lincecum is drawn to the Rangers because the club's closer job is up for grabs.

Lincecum, who last pitched in the Major Leagues with the Angels in 2016, won all three of his championships and his pair of Cy Young Awards while throwing both of his no-hitters with the Giants, who were reportedly interested in his services, but not as much as those willing to sign him to an MLB deal.

The four-time All-Star is 110-89 with a 3.74 ERA and 1,736 strikeouts in 1,682 career innings across 10 big league seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2018 8:40 PM

LA Dodgers game abandoned after sewage lake forms in foul territory

- Dodgers outfielder Andrew Toles: ‘I smelled it. It was nasty, man’

- Leak blamed on water-main leak at Dodger Stadium

Associated Press, Wed 28 Mar 2018 16.36 BST

Spring training came to a repulsive end on Tuesday night at Dodger Stadium.

The exhibition finale between the Angels and Dodgers was cut short because of a foul-smelling leak that spilled sewage onto the field in the fifth inning.

The game was halted for good after a 32-minute delay in the bottom of the fifth, giving the Dodgers a 4-3 victory over their Los Angeles rivals. The water-main leak left a brown mess pooling near the Dodgers’ dugout in – appropriately – foul territory as the grounds crew spread a drying agent and worked to clean up.

“I’m not going to tell you what it really was,” Dodgers outfielder Andrew Toles said. “That’s messed up. It’s nasty.”

There was definitely an undeniable stench, according to players. “I thought it was Gatorade or something coming from the stands. I don’t know. They said it was the sewer,” Toles said. “I smelled it. It was nasty, man.”

After about 10 minutes of waiting on the field, both teams returned to their respective dugouts. Umpire crew chief Gerry Davis announced the delay as officials tried to determine if it was a stadium or city issue.

“Apparently, there was a pipe backup on two different levels of the stadium,” Dodgers president and CEO Stan Kasten said after the game. “We don’t know exactly where the backup was, or what caused it. It had something to do with a main pipe here, as well as main pipe outside the stadium.”

Kasten was unsure if the Dodgers would refund fans, but said officials would discuss the situation on Wednesday.

Because the losing team had at least five chances to bat, the final score and statistics will count as an official game in spring training records. Matt Kemp homered in the fourth to give the Dodgers a 4-3 lead.

“You can always say you’ve seen everything, but we haven’t seen something like that,” Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. “It’s unfortunate. We’re all winding down spring training. You want to finish strong. When you had a lake forming around the third base area that wasn’t going to stop, it’s just unfortunate.”

The leak might have reached the coaches’ offices, but Dodgers manager Dave Roberts wouldn’t confirm or deny that. “I’ll get back to you guys tomorrow,” he said. “We’ll figure it out.”

Both teams open the regular season on Thursday, with the Dodgers hosting the San Francisco Giants and the Angels playing in Oakland, where leaking sewage at the old Coliseum has been a problem several times in recent years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2018 10:29 PM

I'm so tripped up by the unusual Opening Day schedule now. But I'm thrilled the time has come.

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2018 3:59 AM

Step off, r1.

by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2018 6:12 AM

I’m crushing on Joe Ross

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2018 6:22 PM

Joe Mauer had his 2000th hit last night. Although he will never be 2009 Mauer again the last year and a half he has shown he can still be a decent player (he has become a really good defensive 1B) and can recover from the concussion that tanked his career from 2014 to 2016, Not that this is sustainable but right now he is batting over 400 and is leading the league in OBP. It also appears he might actually be as nice as the Joe Mauer persona he is careful to project to the public.

Fun, but sad fact, the last time the Minnesota Timberwolves made the basketball play-offs Mauer had about three hits. They are in the play-offs this year, but Mauer was able to rack about about 1995 hits between play-off appearances.

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2018 6:32 PM

JOe Ross is so hot

by Anonymousreply 16April 17, 2018 11:34 AM

Thanks for mentioning Joey Votto. Love him.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2018 2:39 AM

So yesterday Cody Bellinger got benched during the game for not showing enough "hustle."

Today Corey Seager goes on the DL for the rest of the season to have Tommy John.

Poor Dodgers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 1, 2018 4:52 AM

Doyers

by Anonymousreply 19May 1, 2018 4:59 AM

I worship at the Church of Kris Bryant. There I said it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2018 1:54 AM

Philadelphia Phillies fan hospitalized by flying hot dog launched by Phanatic

- Hot dog fired into crowd injures supporter at Phillies game

- Fan doesn’t plan legal action after diagnosis of hematoma

Associated Press, Thu 21 Jun 2018 15.56 BST

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2018 10:25 PM

Hosmer, you traitor! You didn't even fuck me before you left Kansas City!

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2018 1:28 AM

r18 at least your manager actually gives a shit. We have three major sports franchises up here, and 2/3 are coached by backwards hicks. The one that wasn't, and had a decent, classy coach fired him this summer (although I see why).

If I hear "well, ya know, tha's thuh game uh baseball" one more time after a bush league loss I'm going to scream. The players need a Belichick sized boot up their asses. They just blow into town, cash the cheques, screw the female reporters, smack their gfs up and leave.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2018 6:40 AM

Flyin' Hawaiian officially retires with Phillies

World Series champion Victorino honored during pregame ceremony

By Todd Zolecki, Aug. 3rd, 2018

PHILADELPHIA -- The Flyin' Hawaiian stayed true to his roots and wore a pineapple print shirt on Friday at Citizens Bank Park. Shane Victorino officially retired with the Phillies to stay true to his professional baseball roots, too.

"This organization gave me a chance as a young 25-year-old kid," Victorino said before an emotional pregame ceremony. "To think back then I got the opportunity to come to a city that I didn't really know much about other than it was cold, Rocky was here and it was hard-working, same kind of DNA I had back home. It was a matter of going out there and doing it, and lucky for us, it all worked out."

Victorino played parts of eight seasons with the Phillies from 2005-12, winning three Gold Glove Awards and the '08 World Series. He also made two All-Star teams.

Philly still has a hold over Victorino, just like Victorino still has a hold over Philly. Fans wore Hawaiian shirts to Friday's game against the Marlins. They wore leis. Owner John Middleton and managing partner David Montgomery presented Victorino a hand-painted glove as a retirement gift.

"Philadelphia, I can proudly look you in the eye and say we succeeded," Victorino said. "A World Series championship."

Victorino shed tears in an emotional speech that came from the heart. The crowd roared

"Mahalo, Philly," Victorino said.

The crowd roared again as former Phillies slugger Ryan Howard caught Victorino, who threw out the first pitch.

"It's about all the happiness, all the joy we got to experience together in watching the little boy grow up on the middle of an island come to a city like this and grow up to be a young man," Victorino said. "The city made me the person that I am. I was a 25-year-old kid bouncing all over the place just looking for an opportunity, and I got to come to a first-class organization with first-class people and have a great group of guys that turned into first-class individuals. That's the part where I think everybody gravitated to this group."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2018 1:13 PM

The Phanatic is so freaky looking

by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2018 3:53 PM

Not necessarily a gay man (although very possible), but definitely not your run-of-the-mill ball player.

As MLBers are preparing to wear jerseys with nicknames on the back this weekend, Joey Votto explains how the name he's chosen (In Flanders Fields) is a poem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 11, 2018 5:51 AM

Love Votto

by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2018 3:56 AM

This is from 2010, but it's Votto working out and talking.

Does he actually beard? Or does he not present any sort of a dating life?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2018 2:51 AM

Daniel Murphy who publicly said that he can't agree with the gay lifestyle (or something along those lines) a few years back just got traded to the Cubs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2018 4:36 AM

Joey Votto is not even subtle. He got this fan to take his shirt off for him in front of the crowd. At a Reds game though, so only a couple of hundred tops saw this. Haha... sorry Cincy.

Votto said he wanted to swap shirts, but of course he takes his off out of sight in the clubhouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2018 5:57 AM

^ Wonder if they hooked up after the game?

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2018 2:57 PM

Now retired David Wright is married with a daughter? I thought this guy is gay.

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2018 6:27 PM

All games today are being played simultaneously. No postseason slots up for grabs in the American League, but lots to follow for National League teams.

Dodgers and Rockies competing for the title in the West while the Brewers and Cubs are battling for the Central title (and No. 1 seeding in the NL).

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2018 7:06 PM

Eric Thames (Brewers) after Milwaukee beat the Cubs today to secure the No. 1 seed in the National League.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 2, 2018 3:54 AM

Yasiel Puig and his tiny nips after the Dodgers beat the Rockies today to win the National League West.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 2, 2018 3:56 AM

Dodgers celebrating.

Left to right - Kyle Farmer, Tim Locastro, Yasiel Puig, Kike Hernandez

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 2, 2018 4:01 AM

Puig!

by Anonymousreply 37October 2, 2018 4:34 AM

[quote]Daniel Murphy who publicly said that he can't agree with the gay lifestyle (or something along those lines) a few years back just got traded to the Cubs.

Most of them feel this way. They’re just not dumb enough to say it to a reporter.

by Anonymousreply 38October 2, 2018 12:01 PM

Goddamnit, sorry about the format.

by Anonymousreply 39October 2, 2018 12:02 PM

David Wright and probably Joe Mauer retiring. Both players who stayed with one team for 15 years (Mauer his hometown), great in their 20's and having to deal with injuries,, Mauer's concussion derailing his catching and what looked like was going to be a hall of fame career.

Mauer, never one who liked the spot light, did not announce a retirement, but has been dropping subtle hints so fans knew it might be his last homestand. For someone known to be stoic and even-keeled he showed emotion multiple times, when his twin 5 year old daughters joined him at first before the game, a standing ovation for ever at bat and the crowd going wild with a classic Mauer double. The grand finale though, was when he showed up at the bottom of the 9th in his catching gear that he was forced to give up in 2013 and caught one pitch and disappeared into the dugout. Was not at the game, but I guess the crowd was visibly crying.

He got a lot of flack because of his large contract which was overvalued once he had to leave catching and also his hitting was not as sharp post concussion, none of which was in his control, so it was nice to see him get a lot of love that last week. I have never heard a negative word about him, and he is supposedly one of the nice guys in the game. It seems like just yesterday, he was a 20 year old kid who made his big league debut and stayed there. He was also a football and basketball phenom in high school, so he has been covered by the Twin Cities media since the late 90's. It will be weird to see him go off in the sunset.

Forgot Adrian Beltre and Victor Martinez also departing - a lot of long term stars who were big in the mid 2000s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 3, 2018 12:11 PM

This video encapsulates his last day with his press conference -- which is pretty talkative for him. You can see how overwhelmed he is when he puts on the tools of ignorance one last time after a five year absence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 3, 2018 12:16 PM

Since they became part owners of the Dodgers this year, Ilana Kloss is on the stage tonight with ownership as the team is being presented the NL pennant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2018 3:44 AM

And Kike Hernandez is running around shirtless in the clubhouse in a pair of sagging shorts showing his red underwear while he's dripping wet with champagne. I wish there was video of that.

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2018 4:13 AM

Kike & Cody

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2018 5:21 AM

Hot piece Brad Ausmus got a new managing position with the Angels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2018 6:43 PM

In LA, people are excited about facing Boston in the World Series, but not as excited as they were last year. The only ones exuding unseemly enthusiasm are the local news teams, who these days appear to be self-appointed civic boosters.

by Anonymousreply 46October 22, 2018 8:09 PM

Game 1 Tonight at 8PM EST

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2018 4:25 PM

Go Red Sox

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2018 2:35 AM

I was rooting for the Brewers because I worship Christian Yelich, but I can’t get excited about either the Red Sox or the Dodgers.

by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2018 2:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2018 2:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!