Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Thomas the blind, bisexual goose

Thomas the blind, bisexual goose has died and will be laid to rest next to Henry the swan, his partner of nearly 30 years.

A love affair that spanned decades – and species – is at an end.

Thomas the blind, bisexual goose died last week, and will be buried next to his partner of nearly 30 years, a black swan named Henry, on the edge of the Kāpiti lagoon that the pair called home.

Having spent his final years at a Wellington bird sanctuary, Thomas will be laid to rest with a public ceremony held later this month, birdwatcher Mik Peryer said.

Initially, when the pair were first seen together, Henry was thought to be a female swan but the lack of babies soon proved otherwise, he said.

The happy partnership was briefly tested when Henry paired up with a female swan but Thomas stuck around, even helping to raise the inevitable babies.

"Prior to Henrietta turning up they had about 18 happy gay years together."

The feathered threesome delighted visitors who watched the "the eternal triangle" raise 68 cygnet over the years with Thomas fulfilling the role of doting uncle.

He was left heartbroken after Henry's 2009 death and could be heard occasionally crying for him, Peryer said.

"Henrietta just flew off with another bird, being a young female, but poor old Tom was left on his own.

The arrival of a couple of female geese finally saw Thomas father his own babies only to have them stolen by another goose, named George, who raised them as his own.

"You would see George and the babies with Thomas just following them around."

Failing eyesight and attacks by swans saw Thomas rehomed to the Wellington Bird Rehabilitation Trust in 2013, where he spent his final years eating corn and raising orphaned cygnets.

Thomas, who Peryer estimated to be 38-years-old, will be buried under the commemorative stone – complete with plaque – that marks Henry's final resting place.

"We had about 100 people turn up for Henry and I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened for Thomas."​

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 30, 2020 11:46 PM

this makes me so sad

too many feels

a SWAN !!! wtAF??

watching the nests many birds are just the perfect pair.....those bald eagles......just they work it. gorgeous. most form life times together, fidelity......amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2018 9:40 AM

god bless u baby

jesus is waiting

by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2018 10:00 AM

Yes R1

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2018 10:14 AM

We would've eaten him

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2018 10:15 AM

Even in the animal world a 4 can get a 10!

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2018 1:32 PM

He molested me.

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2018 3:38 PM

Any relation?

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2018 3:38 PM

#MeToo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2018 4:06 PM

Bird are notorious homosexuals and lesbians but this one crossed species too.

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2018 4:31 PM

There are no confirmed Sweese or Gucks yet

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2018 9:05 PM

Aids. What a whore.

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2018 9:13 PM

Justin Trudeau will be scheduling a press conference with copious tears

by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2018 9:42 PM

And since it's summer in NZ he can do it shirtless on location.

by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2018 10:13 PM

Aww, so sad and sweet. I would certainly attend the ceremony if I were in the vicinity.

by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2018 10:24 PM

Adorable! There’s a mallard duck couple (hetero) that lives in a little water feature at National Geographic in downtown Washington, DC. My office is next door to NatGeo. The ducks rarely stay at NatGeo, instead parading up and down the block. They often sit in front of the revolving door to my office building, and sometimes they hang out outside of a deli and “ask” for snacks (and get them!). One will fall asleep on the sidewalk while the other keeps watch. I was so confused by the urban ducks when we moved to the building three years ago. A couple of years ago they had babies and occasionally walked them down (and across) the street, and it’s the only time I have ever seen businesspeople in DC stop along their hurried ways—to stop traffic for the duck puppies (hehe) or scoop them out of the street and deposit them on the sidewalk. Once I saw one of the ducklings leave the group—and it walked right into a bar called Barcode behind a group of people. The mother followed, followed by her babies, and bystanders rushed in after them to “save” them.

This duck couple (my office calls them Fred and Ethel) have been together for years and I’ve never seen one without the other. THEY ARE SO CUTE

by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2018 11:30 PM

Thomas was an inspiration to blind bisexual geese everywhere. Godspeed.

by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2018 11:37 PM

A pair of Canadian mallards used to make a nest in my backyard for four years in a row then stopped coming by to nest. It's been several years and I wonder what happened to them.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2018 12:16 AM

creatures are just the BEST.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2018 12:19 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2018 12:34 AM

George is a thief

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2018 4:46 PM

38 years old? Wow. I knew large parrots in captivity had insanely long lifespans (similar to human beings), but never knew geese lived that long

by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2018 6:47 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 22September 28, 2018 11:24 PM

If you eat a Christmas goose, you're cutting down it's long lifespan. Or you're eating a 38 year old goose.

by Anonymousreply 23September 28, 2018 11:29 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2018 6:50 PM

There will be less slimy green bisexual shit on the ground, so there is that.

by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 7:04 PM

Henry, a typical black swan, was usually angry and stressed-out. With Thomas, he was bossy, but loving.

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2018 7:07 PM

Henry = Aaron Hernadez?

Thomas = Ryan?

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2018 7:09 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2019 12:02 PM

Birds Of A Feather Flock Together.

by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2019 12:07 PM

Holy fuck, I can't believe this appeared on Datalounge lol. This is my hometown and I recently interviewed old Mik for another project. On another island off the coast a gannet fell in love with a statue. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with our birds. We also had 'Happy Feet' the lost penguin a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 13, 2019 12:14 PM

We have swans in Lady Bird Lake (Austin) and one paired swan passed away a few years ago. I still see the widow/er swan swimming around and it breaks my heart!

by Anonymousreply 31June 13, 2019 12:18 PM

So that hussy came in, stole his man and had babies. Thomas had to look after all her children. Then the father dies and she runs away. THIS. Fish are ruthless!

by Anonymousreply 32June 13, 2019 12:24 PM

The homophobes like to spout that homosexuality is unnatural, yet it happens all the time in the animal kingdom. This is proof, just like with the gay lions and gay penguins.

by Anonymousreply 33June 13, 2019 2:19 PM

😥

by Anonymousreply 34April 30, 2020 11:30 PM

Brokebeak Mountain.

*sob*

by Anonymousreply 35April 30, 2020 11:33 PM

Thomas identified as a female. When they said he "fathered" his own chicks, the misgendering literally killed him.

by Anonymousreply 36April 30, 2020 11:44 PM

[quote] Thomas the blind, bisexual goose has died and will be laid to rest next to Henry the swan, his partner of nearly 30 years.

So which of them was trans. The goose into a swan or the swan into a goose.

by Anonymousreply 37April 30, 2020 11:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!