Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Overboard The Remake

This looks absolutely horrible. A remake of the 80s Romantic Comedy with Goldie Hawn & Kurt Russell. Now starring Eugenio Derbez, Anna Faris, Eva Longoria.

Hollywood has jumped the shark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2020 3:25 AM

Not much interest in the movie on DL, judging from the other thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 31, 2018 8:50 AM

They couldn't find a hotter, male lead?

by Anonymousreply 2January 31, 2018 1:38 PM

They should have waited and make a gay remake of this as sequel for Call Me By Your Name with Armie Hammer as rich douche and Timothee Chamalet as stuggling waiter trying to make ends meet for himself and his little brothers.

by Anonymousreply 3January 31, 2018 1:43 PM

It's bombing.

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2018 3:08 AM

That lead actor looks ill.

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2018 3:10 AM

ms farris: voted dumbest bimbo in the biz.

has brain of a pea

her jugs took her a long way

sad.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2018 3:10 AM

yea, why they put the old fug man in as lead for her???

mus know cinema mafia.

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2018 3:11 AM

Eugenio Derbez is a HUGE star in Mexico. This is his crossover effort. Poor Anna doesn't have the clout she once had being Mrs. Chris Pratt.

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2018 3:15 AM

The Goldie Hawn & Kurt Russell one was also a remake of earlier one.

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2018 3:24 AM

How out of ideas is Hollywood? A remake of Overboard? Are you fucking kidding me?

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2018 3:28 AM

R4 It's not.

It's going to do about $13m for the weekend.

It cost $12m to produce.

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2018 3:32 AM

Where did Ah-nah Faris come from? I never heard of her until a few weeks ago, and now she's everywhere. Was I asleep, or was she not a thing? Or is she getting an extra shove from Hollywood marketing?

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2018 3:37 AM

r12 She's been the star of a hit sitcom on CBS for five seasons. And she gets billed above an Oscar winner.

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2018 5:49 AM

Hit ... sitcom ... ?

(excuse me while I look it up)

It's called "Mom." And there's that other horsey looking actress in it. I didn't know this show existed.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2018 8:55 PM

I actually love the original...

but the remake looks like shit.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2018 8:58 PM

I despise Eva Longoria

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2018 9:01 PM

She was stupid for participating in a remake of some boat movie.

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2018 9:14 PM

They keep trying to make Derbez happen here in the states.

Ain't gonna happen.

He's a talentless, unfunny fool.

Glad it bombed.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2018 9:27 PM

wow looks horrible! makes the original seem like "Citizen Kane"

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2018 9:34 PM

I grew up watching Derbez on tv, and am a fan. He was very funny, and quite successful in Mexico. However, I don't believe that his jokes, and style of humor translates to American audiences. I don't find him funny at all in English. When he constantly is trying to translate his message in his head while he speaks, he loses the funny.

I guess that goes for most people speaking a language not their own.

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2018 9:36 PM

Ewww that leading man is fugly.

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2018 9:37 PM

Faris looks great for 41, and I loved her in "House Bunny".

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2018 9:40 PM

She's way better than her douchey ex.

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2018 9:43 PM

I love the original movie. It's so endearing. This current version lacks the charm that the previous one had.

by Anonymousreply 24May 6, 2018 9:46 PM

When I saw the commercials I thought Derbez was suppose to be gay and thought that was funny having him think he was married with kids.

by Anonymousreply 25May 6, 2018 9:48 PM

Longoria said in multiple interviews that the plot of the film is exactly the same as the original. The only difference is the leads are gender-swapped.

If that's true, then I don't get the reason for a remake.

by Anonymousreply 26May 6, 2018 9:49 PM

Boy this look terrible. The male lead is disgusting too.

What the fuck was she thinking?

by Anonymousreply 27May 6, 2018 9:52 PM

[quote]I don't get the reason for a remake

You're clearly not an artist R26.

by Anonymousreply 28May 6, 2018 9:53 PM

Why isn't this going direct to WE or TBS?

by Anonymousreply 29May 6, 2018 9:54 PM

Tofutttiii Klllinnnneeee......

by Anonymousreply 30May 6, 2018 9:56 PM

R29 cause this was cheap to make can make a nice profit with Derbez huge latino following and Faris big frau following.

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2018 10:02 PM

14 million weekend box office already making up all of the budget , this will probably get another 20-30 million easily in the states and will probably do well in Mexico. Quick cash grabs for lionsgate, Derbez, faris and Longoria.

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2018 10:07 PM

Opening at around $15 million is actually very good for this movie considering it only opened on 1,600 screens.

by Anonymousreply 33May 7, 2018 2:01 AM

I saw it this afternoon and came home to see what DL had already decreed.

I didn't see HTBALL. So I had no expectations of him.

I never saw the Hawn/Russel version so I had no expectations of the film.

As to Derbez, he has that cute goofy going on and I immediately took to him as a Latin Tom Hanks/Ben Affleck.

I really liked the Telenovela background, the working Latinos, THEY made this movie. Longoria was delightful.

But what made this movie was the believability that Derbez brought to his character. It could hjave been done more slapstick, more broad but Derbez took me on a trip to maturity. From Lady Hands to Man Hands. It was beautiful and charming without being ham fisted.

It is one of those movies that you think is going to waste an afternoon, but you end up liking for a number of reasons.

It was predictable, but enjoyable. I hope Derbez makes lots and lots of money Latin distribution.

by Anonymousreply 34May 10, 2018 1:31 AM

The problem is that Derbez is past his prime. We are talking about a guy who is 57 years of age. His attempt to crossover came very late.

He was at his handsomest in the late 80s-90s.

by Anonymousreply 35May 10, 2018 3:07 AM

Are you kidding, R35??

That man has never been handsome. He's a bug-eyed idiot.

by Anonymousreply 36May 10, 2018 3:11 AM

I said he is cute-goofy. He has an attractive likability.

Just as Jimmy Stewart was not classically handsome, Derbez has a a sweetness that makes him likable.

I would not want him to fuck me but I would not pass up giving him a blow job.

r34

by Anonymousreply 37May 10, 2018 8:36 AM

Did they film it in a nursing home? Are they all in wheel chairs?

by Anonymousreply 38May 10, 2018 9:08 AM

In this era of #MeToo I'm shocked they would remake a movie about the enslavement and sexual assault of someone with a brain injury who cannot give informed consent.

by Anonymousreply 39May 10, 2018 10:18 AM

Except they switched the roles so it’s the man who can’t give informed consent r39 so it’s ohhhhkay!

by Anonymousreply 40May 10, 2018 10:25 AM

They never had sex in the 80's version. The premise was, in the end Goldie Hawn fell in love with the family, and only after she knew the truth, she continued with Kurt Russell and kids.

by Anonymousreply 41May 10, 2018 10:29 AM

I saw it the other day and thought it was cute. Eva was great, age appropriate and very pretty. I didn't know it was her at first.

Anna was perfect in the role.

The lead guy was also very funny. He wasn't old, ugly or whatever you guys are speculating. He does fall in love with Anna and her kids and looks in a menial labor job (so looking bad made sense).

It was a goofy PG comedy for families--like the original. I usually dislike remakes, but this was well done.

by Anonymousreply 42May 10, 2018 10:31 AM

Works, not looks

by Anonymousreply 43May 10, 2018 10:35 AM

Not sure why they'd reboot something that sucked so bad in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 44May 10, 2018 11:10 AM

Who cast the male lead? That was a really, really bad choice. Sorry, if that sounds shallow, but that role requires someone hot, hot, hot! And younger, much younger.

by Anonymousreply 45May 10, 2018 11:36 AM

she musta got ahead by bjobs...

has the talent of .... my tit.

by Anonymousreply 46May 10, 2018 11:38 AM

It looks like dumb shit so it should do really well. Don't forget, the mass audience is DUMB AS FUCK today.

by Anonymousreply 47May 10, 2018 11:43 AM

reckon so, look who they elected prez, sorta...

god that dum cow face of hers

by Anonymousreply 48May 10, 2018 11:56 AM

R41 they absolutely had sex in the 80s version

by Anonymousreply 49May 10, 2018 5:22 PM

Do they have the Wonders of the World miniature golf course ? The calamine lotion? The super-glued plate to hand?

by Anonymousreply 50May 10, 2018 7:12 PM

No, but there are other things borrowed from the 1987 version.

by Anonymousreply 51May 11, 2018 12:24 AM

[quote]They should have waited and make a gay remake of this as sequel for Call Me By Your Name with Armie Hammer as rich douche and Timothee Chamalet as stuggling waiter trying to make ends meet for himself and his little brothers.

Jesus fucking GOD even the Pedo at R3 can't stay away from that stupid fucking topic.

Obsessed much, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 52May 11, 2018 1:43 AM

The characters'names are Kate and .... Leonardo. In a movie titled Overboard. Really ???

I agree with the person who said It would work better nowadays as a gay story. I would choose other actors, though.

Anyways, wasn't that Russell/Hawn vehicule a Disenyfied adaptation of Travolti Da Un Insolito Destino ....(1974), the provocative Line Wertmuller film ?

by Anonymousreply 53June 24, 2018 4:20 PM

R53 It was. The original as so hot sexually and the original was so politically charged. Madonna's remake was way worse. All the sex and politics was dumb downed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 24, 2018 4:25 PM

R16 Me too.

Only way Eva could have an acting career was to suck all the cocks that Andie MacDowell overlooked.

by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2018 4:26 PM

R54, I remember in the 80s/early 90 ? when that movie would be telecasted every summer, or so, on the more cultural channel, and my parents would watch it and have me watch as well.

Difficult to explain in 2018.

Yes, that movie was about class divide, but also the misogyny could pass because the director was a woman.

by Anonymousreply 56June 24, 2018 10:31 PM

Watching it now, it's funny!

by Anonymousreply 57November 21, 2020 2:59 AM

Does it have this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 21, 2020 3:19 AM

Debez must have a 10+inch uncut pinga to neo the lead in an American film that got a theatrical release.

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2020 3:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!